5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout Troubleshooting
SubRosa
post Sep 5 2020, 12:01 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

It might be Windows 10. It does not always play nice with older applications.

I have seen suggestions that you play it in Compatability mode for Windows XP, run it in Windowed mode, and run it as an administrator.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 5 2020, 05:25 AM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 4 2020, 06:01 PM) *

I have seen suggestions that you play it in Compatability mode for Windows XP, run it in Windowed mode, and run it as an administrator.

That’s what I’m thinking. I “upgraded” to that back in January because Win7 stopped being supported, so the last time I played F3 was when I was still running Win7.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 6 2020, 07:11 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 5 2020, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 4 2020, 06:01 PM) *

That’s what I’m thinking. I “upgraded” to that back in January because Win7 stopped being supported, so the last time I played F3 was when I was still running Win7.

Khajiit, the Fallout 3 Windows 10 Fix is on the front page of the Nexus, maybe it will help.

Edit: It probably won't. It seems to fix a problem in the Steam version of the game. But from the comments, it looks like the Gog version does not have the issue at all. And I think you said you had the Gog version.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 6 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 6 2020, 01:11 AM) *

Edit: It probably won't. It seems to fix a problem in the Steam version of the game. But from the comments, it looks like the Gog version does not have the issue at all. And I think you said you had the Gog version.

Yep I’m on GOG. I’ll try running it in compatibility mode for winXP and see if that helps.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 6 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

Good luck. cake.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 8 2020, 02:30 AM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

Ok so did a clean reinstall of F3 and it’s doing fine. Played through the intro and got outside to the first series of blasted buildings in Springvale and saved. Later tonight I’ll add back some mods and see how it goes.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 8 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

You haven't truly experienced Fallout, until you've installed and reinstalled it a few times prior to playing. bigsmile.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 8 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

laugh.gif

... You haven't experienced Fallout yet, until you've had to figure out what Games For Windows Live is, and you'll need to disable it just to start your game. laugh.gif Maybe GOG disables this automatically when you buy Fallout 3. Steam does not. nono.gif

OH! Khajiit, have you installed Archive Invalidation yet? Here is a link. Without that utility funny things can happen to some mod-added textures.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 8 2020, 06:23 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

Ok well I guess I was doing something wrong before. I added back all of the mods I had earlier and a couple more and was able to play for a good couple hours today before having to stop to get ready for work. No crashes at all.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 9 2020, 01:32 PM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, good to hear. cake.gif Now post some pictures!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 9 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #31

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 8 2020, 03:20 PM) *

You haven't experienced Fallout yet, until you've had to figure out what Games For Windows Live is, and you'll need to disable it just to start your game.

That's me. Stuff like that that hinders me to even start the game just irks me. Thankfully, there was indeed a fix.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 10 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 9 2020, 09:31 AM) *

That's me. Stuff like that that hinders me to even start the game just irks me. Thankfully, there was indeed a fix.

You can probably get New Vegas on GoG these days though? No Steam?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 10 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #33

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 10 2020, 02:19 PM) *

You can probably get New Vegas on GoG these days though? No Steam?

No. At this point in my life I am not interested in playing other games. I stick to some casual Fallout 3 (since this is a Fallout thread).

smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 10 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

*Shrugs*

Hey, I tried. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 29 2020, 02:05 AM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

I just ran into a brick wall with the Gog version of Fallout 3. I am in the basement of Smith Casey's Garage. When I click on the door to Vault 112 the game crashes. I have spent the last few hours trying to find a workaround. I already tried removing all my mods, no luck. I tried going back to my save from the tutorial exit, and going straight to the garage and trying the door, no luck.

I tried using the console to simply skip the quests tied up with the vault. I can use the console to get into Tranquility Lane. But when I finish that, the game crashes again. Because when you complete it you go back to Vault 112.

So I tried skipping Tranquility Lane as well, and using the console to advance the quests. That works ok. Until Dad.

I think I have narrowed it down to Dad who is causing the CTD. Dad is in Vault 112 and the game crashes. He is also in Tranquility Lane, but as a Dog, so different actor. Game works. When I use the player.placeatme to spawn him, the game crashes.

I am not sure what about Dad crashes the game. There are multiple versions of him, which makes things confusing. Most of them are for different stages of the Tutorial. Only one seems to be for when you are an adult and finally discover him outside the Vault. That is the version I (and the game) are trying to spawn.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 29 2020, 03:00 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 28 2020, 08:05 PM) *

I just ran into a brick wall with the Gog version of Fallout 3. I am in the basement of Smith Casey's Garage. When I click on the door to Vault 112 the game crashes. I have spent the last few hours trying to find a workaround. I already tried removing all my mods, no luck. I tried going back to my save from the tutorial exit, and going straight to the garage and trying the door, no luck.

I tried using the console to simply skip the quests tied up with the vault. I can use the console to get into Tranquility Lane. But when I finish that, the game crashes again. Because when you complete it you go back to Vault 112.

So I tried skipping Tranquility Lane as well, and using the console to advance the quests. That works ok. Until Dad.

I think I have narrowed it down to Dad who is causing the CTD. Dad is in Vault 112 and the game crashes. He is also in Tranquility Lane, but as a Dog, so different actor. Game works. When I use the player.placeatme to spawn him, the game crashes.

I am not sure what about Dad crashes the game. There are multiple versions of him, which makes things confusing. Most of them are for different stages of the Tutorial. Only one seems to be for when you are an adult and finally discover him outside the Vault. That is the version I (and the game) are trying to spawn.

Classic James. Always causing trouble! tongue.gif

Seriously though, that’s really frickin’ weird! I wonder if my copy has that issue? I might have to go there and see sometime.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 29 2020, 03:02 AM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

You did the right thing and turned all those mods off. So next thing I would try is going on UESP. See if others have encountered this horrible glitch.

Another option is to see if GoG has its own Fallout forums, and if others have seen this as well.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 29 2020, 03:03 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 29 2020, 03:17 AM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

Other people have had this over the years. No one has offered up a solution.

I tried an experiment just now. I started a new game from scratch, COC'ed to Smith Casey's Garage, and I was able to enter Vault 112 with no CTD.

When I tried going back before to an earlier save, it was to one at the tutorial exit. I think that save was made on my original version of Fallout 3 (the one I bought on cd back in the day). I am now playing on the Gog version with the same saves. So maybe there is an incompatibility between saves from the original version and the Gog version? I have had no problem opening other saves from the original version and playing them. But I never tried doing the Main Quest with them either. I don't think so however, as some of the other people who wrote about this same issue online had it years before the Gog version of the game came out.

So now I have to decide if I really want to do the MQ, or start completely over with these new saves.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 29 2020, 03:25 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 28 2020, 09:17 PM) *

Other people have had this over the years. No one has offered up a solution.

I tried an experiment just now. I started a new game from scratch, COC'ed to Smith Casey's Garage, and I was able to enter Vault 112 with no CTD.

When I tried going back before to an earlier save, it was to one at the tutorial exit. I think that save was made on my original version of Fallout 3 (the one I bought on cd back in the day). I am now playing on the Gog version with the same saves. So maybe there is an incompatibility between saves from the original version and the Gog version? I have had no problem opening other saves from the original version and playing them. But I never tried doing the Main Quest with them either. I don't think so however, as some of the other people who wrote about this same issue online had it years before the Gog version of the game came out.

So now I have to decide if I really want to do the MQ, or start completely over with these new saves.

Ugggh that’s really annoying. That’s the kind of thing that would probably lead to me abandoning the game altogether, lol. Hope you figure it out though!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 29 2020, 03:26 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 29 2020, 06:12 AM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

I dug up one of Hecate's old saves from about 5 years ago, and she was able to get into Vault 112 with no trouble. So I don't think this is an original vs. Gog version issue. It must be just some glitch in January's original game. I was also able to spawn Dad in her game with no trouble as well.

Having Daddy Issues really is annoying...

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:10 AM