4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adventures On The Abecean Sea, Sometimes It Doesn't Pay To Stowaway
mALX
post Mar 16 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

My current Fanfic is too long to cart over here, so I'd like to offer up this much shorter one. I was inspired to do this story by an RP idea I saw floated a month ago on the BGSF. I got extremely excited about the concept, but never having been in an RP I hesitated to join. Still, the possibilities loomed and taunted till I knew I would write this. It won't be a long one, I promise! I hope everyone enjoys it.

Shivani

IPB Image

Adventures On The Abecean Sea

Chapter 1: The Stowaway

The pounding of the waves on the bow of the ship created a huge spray across the deck that seeped down into the anchor storage, raining steady rivulets of icy cold water onto the hard chains where Shivani huddled, struggling to retain the contents of her stomach.

At the time it had seemed a good idea, stowing away in the hold of the nearest ship at the Anvil port. The guards had spotted her, and it would have been no time at all before they connected her with the reports of a runaway slave.

Maybe she had meant to do this for years, but not at this time nor place; yet here she was. Her tail was kinking from the hard chains pressed against it, and whatever protection her thin fur gave her against the cold had lost its use against the elements that now assailed it.

Somehow she had not foreseen that, the ship putting out to sea; well, not while she was on board. Exhausted from the night spent walking in the cold air, it had been only natural to nap there in the dark of the hold. The quiet shushing of the boat as it slipped over the calm waters had not woken her from the tired slumber; nor did the gentle rolling as it set out across the Abecean Sea.

When the storm caused the ship to slam into the breaking seas, throwing the icy tentacles of itself down into the pitch dark hold…and roll violently, sometimes heeling over till she was sure the sails and mast would be washed under in one of the crashing waves; only then had she awakened to realize her circumstance.

It didn’t take long to determine the type of boat she had stowed away on either. It wasn’t the curses and coarse language spoken in guttural tones that told her, but the “Aye Aye Captain” that followed them. A pirate ship! Oh dear.

It was a well known fact that pirates considered a female on board to be bad luck, no matter the age…would they kill her? Or worse?

Thinking fast, Shivani pulled her worn leather helmet off and twisted her hair into a tight knot on her head, replacing the helmet which now sat at an odd angle. She pulled the straps tight around it, forcing it to smash the bun down flat.

Shivani pulled the rusty iron dagger she had found earlier out of her waistband and cut a length of the furled spinnaker sail that rested in the hold. She stripped off the wet leather cuirass and bound her breasts across with the length of sail. There wasn’t much to flatten yet, but there was no sense taking chances.

Tugging the wet cuirass back on proved to be a chore in the tight hull of the ship as it rocked and pounded, throwing her off balance with its violent contortions. Still, she must get out of here, or would be sitting in her own vomit shortly. Even without benefit of a looking glass she was sure her pale skin had taken on a greenish hue, for the nausea had awakened her with a stomach that rolled to match the ships movements.

Crawling out the hatch, she was instantly knocked down from her position on her hands and knees to rolling across the deck by the next lurch of the ship and ended up slammed into the gunwale where she finally gave up the contents of her stomach.

The waves crashing over the bow washed it down the deck toward the stern of the boat. Leaning back and letting the next spray wash over her felt good, in spite of the cold and wet, for the seasickness had left her woozy and faint; and the icy waters revived if naught else.

She closed her eyes, trying to fight off the next wave of nausea when a voice too close for comfort reached her ears.

“Here be the culprit.” The coarse voice was followed by a hand grabbing her up by the cuirass and dragging her toward the stern.

Shivani struggled and beat ineffectually at the massive hand that hauled her up and deposited her before a lowbrow man in the tattered blue coat of a Naval Officer. It was obviously stolen, as it didn’t fit him. The armpits and shoulders were torn, and although unbuttoned it squeezed against his bulk.

She promptly ‘shot the cat’ across the top of his boots, vomiting helplessly and unable to stop.

“Ye’ll pay for that lad, ye will!” The Captain snarled, grabbing Shivani by the back of the neck and shoving her down. “Ye’ll lick them clean then, weakling.”

The words along with the smell of what already rested on his boots caused a fresh wave of nausea and instead of cleaning, She retched some more across the toes of them. Kicking her out of the way the Captain demanded satisfaction from the one that brought Shivani before him.

"Wad ye bring the lad before me 'fore he were done emptying his load? Ye caused this, now ye clean it. An' ye can swab the cockpit as well. Git the lad's head over the side 'fore he fills the ship wi' his swill." The Captain roared at the crewman.

Grumbling and cursing under his breath, the crewman glared at Shivani. Aye, he would have his revenge, but when the Captain wasn’t standing there to see.

Shivani’s still heaving carcass was dragged back to the gunwale and deposited with her head hanging over the side so there would be no more clean-up required.

She woke in that position, the seas were calm now and the crew was busy hoisting the sails and swabbing the deck. Before she pulled her head up she ran her fingers around the black film that clung to the gunwale and rubbed it on her face to hide its delicate features.

Pulling herself across the deck toward the cockpit, she was stopped by a pair of Naval Officer’s boots that were too small for the feet and legs jammed into them. The Captain’s voice boomed above her.

“So, yer joinin’ the living I see. Are you gonna git to work or do we have to toss you in the briny an wake you up? This ain’t no pleasure cruise. Ye mind telling me what ye were hired to do on this ship?”

She thought quickly. She had seen kitchen work done before. Trying to deepen her voice and make it sound as uneducated and coarse as those around her, she answered.

“The galley…Sir.”

“Well git your weak carcass to it then. An' be quick about it.”

With a hurried, "Aye Aye Captain," she hoped was a good imitation of the one she had heard the night before, she scurried down the main hatch into the nether regions below decks. She tried not to draw attention as she glanced around, trying to see anything that looked like it might be a kitchen. A horrible smell assailed her nose, and she followed it to what could only be the galley.

It was filthy. A malodorous scent billowed out of a pot tied onto a grate over the small fire pit with lengths of steel wire. She couldn’t bring herself to taste the vile concoction, but upon glancing behind her saw the Captain standing in the passageway watching her. She better do something quickly.

Grabbing a measure of salt, she pulled her dagger out and began scraping the salt block into the soup. Crusts of debris filtered off the blade and into the vile brew below. Her nerves on edge by his scrutiny caused her hands to tremble, dropping a large portion of the salt block into the soup.

Her eyes fell on an overly large wooden ladle. Scooping it up, she pretended to be stirring the reeking mixture in the pot while she searched for the block of salt. Glancing back she saw the hulking form of the Captain no longer filled the passageway.

With a sigh of relief she fished the much diminished slab of salt out and dropped it back on the shelf. She would have to wait for the cook’s orders, never having cooked before.

A young Nord boy wandered in and stopped, surprised to see her. “Who are you? I thought I was the galley slave.” He spouted, then flushed.

Shivani felt much better about her disguise after that; the boy could not be more than ten years old and looked much more feminine than she did. His voice had a high pitch as well. Should the crew suspect a woman on board, this young lad would be picked over herself as the culprit, and could prove he was not a girl, so would not be harmed.

She lowered the pitch of her voice and tried to sound uneducated. “Uh, I’m your help.”

His eyes brightened. “Oh good, because I’m not really sure…”

Drat! She was hoping he knew more than her. “Where’s the cook?” She asked, her voice cracking from trying to lower it deeper than she was able.

“He near got killed last night in the storm. Got cut real bad, bled into that stew.”

Shivani almost gagged, thanking her stars she had not tasted of the concoction.

“You mean its just us?” Shivani nearly squeaked. The lad nodded.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 25 2012, 09:32 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 16 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

Ah, Shivani gets an adventure of her own. I know that I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this.

She promptly ‘shot the cat’ across the top of his boots, vomiting helplessly and unable to stop.

If we had not known that Shivani was Khajiit by now, this phrase is an interesting way to tell us.

The words along with the smell of what already rested on his boots caused a fresh wave of nausea and instead of cleaning the boots, Shivani retched some more across the toes of the boots.

I'm not sure if you need the repetition of the word 'boots' here.

Pulling herself across the deck toward the cockpit, she was stopped by a pair of Naval Officer’s boots that were too small for the feet and legs jammed into them.

This is a clever substitute for 'she kept her eyes on the deck'. biggrin.gif

Grabbing a measure of salt, she pulled her dirty rusty dagger out and began scraping the salt block into the soup.

I don't think you need to say 'dirty rusty dagger' here. Rusty implies dirty and you already established the dagger as rusty earlier in the chapter.

His voice had a high pitch as well, should the crew suspect a woman on board, this young lad would be the one they wood pick over herself, and the lad would be able to prove he was not a girl.

Should this be 'but' instead of 'and'?

“You mean its just us?” X nearly squeaked. The lad nodded.

I'm not sure who 'X' is.

Overall a good first chapter. There were a few sentences that seemed to run together, but nothing that some of our friends here won't point out to you. It was nice to see certain traits that we know and love so well in another khajiit mirrored so effectively in Shivani. More please!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 16 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #3

Paladin
Group Icon

mALX! This is cute as a button! What a wonderful way to add some depth to Shivani, since we know little of her from your previous writing. Quite immersive, right from the beginning. You continue to amaze me with your versatility. Avast me timbers and all! Uh oh, I'm feeling a touch quesy from the rough seas. I'm so pleased to see you posting here my friend! goodjob.gif

Edit: For Olen and your below comment, I think the confusion may be a question of language/culture. American sailing yahtsmen often use the term cockpit to refer to the tiller or helm area. Swabbing the deck is very nautical terminology among American users of english and is certainly commonly used at sea by the US Navy. In fact, the US Navy refers to a 'mop' as a 'swab'. US Marines refer, of course to sailors as 'swabbies' for that reason. It is unclear what Tamrielic sailors might have said, lol. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Mar 17 2010, 12:01 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 16 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

Good opening, I'm interested to see how this goes. I like the hooks you've put in, the continued threat of them discovering her gender should be a useful device while writing. You've introduced the character well too.

swabbing the deck - unusual word choice. Swabbing makes me think of either taking a sample or cleaning a wound, scrubbing would be more normal I think.

You also said cockpit twice which isn't a term I'd have associated with the sea.

Immersive stuff though. smile.gif

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 17 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #5

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahh sweet, a story about a Kitty! This one will be on my list, looking forward to the next chapter

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 17 2010, 01:57 AM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

So we get to see Shivani's own story now?

How wonderful!

She fell asleep onboard a docked ship, only to wake up and find herself asea (in more ways than one it seems)? Now does that feel familiar? Runs in the family, I suppose.

Liked the description of seasickness. Never having experienced it myself (yet), I still felt sorry for the poor kitty. I do hope she finds her sea legs soon!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 17 2010, 02:42 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

"A beautiful pea-green Khajiit went to sea..." No, that's not how that goes...

Mistress mALX creativity knows no bounds, and we get to see how a certain albino kitty came by her personality- it was all her mother's fault!

Wonderful descriptions and patented mALX humor- this is going to be a fun ride- except for the pirates.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Mar 17 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

mALX, I am still in shock. That was awesome. goodjob.gif

This felt quite different to the Maxical saga, yet still contained that magnificent way you have of describing Khajiit. You have proved that you wield a multi-string bow to your writing.

How you found time to write this at the same time as Maxical is beyond my understanding.
My tame efforts at writing pale next to your contribution. Wow!!

If you ever feel that you want to lug Maxical over here I shall drum up support.
We already have a haute ecole to ride, a paladin to steer and a wolf and treydog to mush !!

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 17 2010, 06:31 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

We already have a haute ecole to ride,

HEY! How'd ya know I won't buck ya off!

Oh, you mean in the EQUESTRIAN mode.

Geesh! I'm turning into a certain vulpine commentator!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Verlox
post Mar 17 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Evoker

I personally believe that is the goal of every fiction writer to write a pirate tale. And your's is quite fun.

--------------------
My loaf of bread brings all the ladies to the yard

"A brutish man cannot know, a fool cannot understand this: Though the wicked sprout like grass, though all evildoers blossom, it is only that they may be destroyed forever. But you are exalted, O Lord, for all time" -Psalms 92:7-9
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Mar 18 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

Good work, mALX

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Remko
post Mar 18 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #12

Finder
Group Icon

I am glad I joined chorrol.com so I could read this piece of work! Nice!

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 18 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

@ Destri Melarg - Thank you so much Destri! Fixed the nits hopefully. Destri, you have got to bring your story here...please? (picture begging puppy eyes & throw in a pout) You are Awesome Destri!
@ Acadian - Thank you Acadian - that is exactly what I was hoping for; just a light, fun romp while I finish up with Maxical on the other thread, or figure out a way to bring her here. You ROCK!
@ Olen - Thank you so much! I appreciate that! On my first fanfic I messed up so badly on the early chapters that I was very hesitant to write another story, lol. I appreciate your comment a lot!
@ Minque - Thank you so much Minque, and for the encouragement to post on here! This is just going to be a short story, my fanfic is too big to drag over here as is, I may need to do some major surgery on it, lol. But this is an idea that grabbed me a month ago, and I have been wanting badly to follow up on it, lol. Thank you again, I appreciate you - and this site!
@ Hauteecole Rider - Thank you Hauty! I never did get seasick either, but my sister had a horrible case of it, and could get seasick in a dinghy on a calm pond. I kind of used her for a role model here, lol. I appreciate you a lot!
@ Treydog - Oh Thank You, Thank You Treydog - you have picked up on it all right, lol !!! You are Awesome Treydog!
@ Winter Wolf - Thank you so much Wolf! I have been eaten up by wanting to drag Maxical over here, but she is just too big as is. It would take some major cutting to do it, and I didn't have the time - so this is what I brought instead, lol. This won't be a long story, I promise, lol. Are you bringing your guy here for us to read? (Yes, Yes!)??? You ROCK Wolf!
@ Verlox - Thank you Verlox! I was intrigued by that new RP idea that came up on the BGSF. I have never RP'd before, so was pretty hesitant to leap in with all the pros. Still, the idea of all those possible storylines ate at me - and I just DL'd two pirate mods yesterday, haven't tried them out yet, lol. One of them looks like they integrated action from WET, ROFL !!! I appreciate you!
@ Yeah! Zalphon! - So good to see your walking avatar again! I have missed you and your stories - and thank you for sending me the birth of Zalphon, that was AWESOME !! Thank you Zalphon!!!
@ RemkoNL - Thank you so much Remko! You probably know what RP idea I saw that set me thinking about this story, lol. This will be short, I promise! Lol - And I am glad to see Rales and Zerina made it here!
@ EVERYONE - I posted a new chapter up on Maxical's story if anyone happens to be going over there. It is just too huge to cart here, but I have been thinking about a way to get enough background over here so that the current pages will post here - meanwhile I wanted to get this pirate idea out of my head, lol. I really hope you like it. For everyone that has been reading Maxical - you all ROCK !!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! She has been my character since 2006, and it was hard not to start this story using her character, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Remko
post Mar 18 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #14

Finder
Group Icon

Tbh, I just joined yesterday so that would be a "no, I don't know about the rp"

Just copy/paste it here. Wouldn't want to keep it from unknowing readers (blessed are they lol), now would you? nono.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 18 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Remko @ Mar 18 2010, 11:49 AM) *

Tbh, I just joined yesterday so that would be a "no, I don't know about the rp"

Just copy/paste it here. Wouldn't want to keep it from unknowing readers (blessed are they lol), now would you? nono.gif biggrin.gif

Oh, it is over there on the BGSF - that new Pirates RP - I wanted to join it so badly I couldn't see straight, but never having RP'd in my life getting on with all those pros, I was (scared) so didn't, lol. But the role I would have played my character as is what I am putting into this short story.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 18 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

Chapter 2: The Meal

“What is your name, boy” Shivani asked, making her voice gruff like the Captains.

“Er…John.” The lad replied.

"Mine too." Drat! That was the name she was going to use! Now what should she do? “How‘d you get a name like John, you’re a Nord, aren‘t you?”

“Well, you’re a Khajiit, how did you get a name like that?” He demanded.

“Oh, well, my parents were poor and uneducated.” Shivani covered quickly.

“So were mine.” John said, his voice taking on a stubborn note.

“Well, my name is John too, so we better work out a way to tell us apart when they call for us. I guess I don’t mind being called Jack.” Shivani gave up trying to keep the name, John was definitely not going to relent.

“I know, I’ll call you Master Jack, and you can call me Evil John!” His eyes lit up.

“So which one of us is going to do the cooking, and which be the helper till the cook gets back?” Shivani asked, thinking he may back down now that she gave in on the name.

“I’ll help, I only signed on as a galley slave.” John stated, drawing himself up so he was eye to eye with Shivani.

“Well that is all I signed on for too. If you have more experience, then you should cook and I will help you.”

“You’re older and bigger, you cook and I will help you.” John’s face was beginning to look belligerent.

“I can see why you picked the name Evil John. Well we can’t fight about it. I guess I will cook and you help. The first thing we have to do is cut some onions for frying. You cut them and I will…”

“Why, I hate onions.”

“Because if you fry onions, they put out such a good smell that everyone gets hungry, and they will eat salted wood if you serve it.”

“Wow, you really are a cook!” Johns eyes shone as he looked at Shivani.

In spite of herself, she preened a bit at that. She had overheard a woman say that in the market when she was stealing something to eat.

Shivani eyed the large pot of stew, wondering why it seemed to be emptying out before their eyes. “John, come look. The stew is disappearing. It was full before, and look it is almost halfway down now.”

“Do you think the ship is haunted?“ John’s eyes rounded and he darted glances into the dark corners of the galley.

“Don’t be ridiculous, even a ghost wouldn’t eat that slop. Maybe we should add more water to it.”

“Good idea, I’ll prime the pump for you.” John offered, obviously in a good frame since he had won both arguments.

Blackened water spurted out of the mouth of the pump, filling the air with a foul odor. John began choking.

“We can’t put that in the stew.“ He gagged out.

“I think someone already has by the smell of that stew. I’ve never seen anything like that, it’s disgusting.” Shivani and John both stared at the reeking pot on the stove.

“Well we have to do something, there isn’t enough stew there for the crew. A ship this size must have another holding tank, that one must be tainted.” Shivani found a heavy metal valve and turned it. “Try it now John.”

Sure enough the water appeared clear and pure; in fact it glistened slightly. John cupped his hands and tasted it. “This is really good!” He declared.

Shivani put her hand under the tap and caught some. “That really is good! Fill the ewer the rest of the way with that then. We will use that for cooking and the dirty water for cleaning. Maybe that other side is to pump the bilge or something.”

Shivani didn’t know if it was the headiness of being free for the first time in her life, or the fresh sea air, but suddenly she felt full of energy; to the point she would burst if she didn’t do something.

“Come on John, lets clean this place up!” She said, her voice lilting. She turned the valve back over to the bilge water.

“Just what I was thinking!” John said enthusiastically, his eyes like round saucers in his head.

“John, I know this is a pirate ship, right? I mean the Captain…well, how much do you know about them?” Shivani got John talking as they scrubbed the galley down.

“Captain Dugal, he is Lord Captain of them, he is known as the Cutthroat of Hunding Bay. Some of the crew are his band, hand picked and trained. They are the Red Sabres ‘cause their sabres glow red from enchantments. People call them things like…Scourge of the Abecean Sea, Terror of the Gold Coast. They are the best fighters you’ll ever see, just wait till we blow alongside another ship.” John stopped scrubbing and looked at Shivani, his eyes still unnaturally large in his face.

“The rest of the crew is just like you and me, picked up at ports to do the work. They‘re the ones you gotta watch out for. They’d kill you as quick as look at you. One of ’em already has you pegged to be thrown over the side because he had to clean your seasickness up.”

A shiver went down Shivani’s spine. “Uh…where do I bed down nights?”

“When you aren’t spending the night repainting the deck with last nights supper you and I sleep in the same cabin with Jak Silver, Scurvy John Hoff, and Zedrick Green. They aren’t as bad as the rest. Alacanti, he’s not so bad either. They are Red Sabre.

Shivani made a mental note to imitate the way John spoke. He sure was talkative all of a sudden. John interrupted her thoughts.

“You best not try and serve that swill to the Captain or the Sabres, unless you want one of their red sabres in your back.”

“Well what do I do then?”

“The cook makes them steaks and serves them after the crew. I saw that yesterday.”

Shivani imagined that was to keep the crew from a mutiny when they smelled the steaks cooking and got stew. “You mean you’ve only been here one day and learned all that?”

“Well I wasn’t seasick.” John said smugly, indicating where the salted meats were stored. “They smuggle too. Right now they are smuggling a whole load of Skooma to sell, its somewhere down in the hold. They thought I was asleep and were talking about it.”

“Skooma? Isn’t that a drug of some sort? How many Sabres are there?”

“I don’t know, I thought it was some kind of gold or something the way they talked.“ John pointed to the stacks of steaks. “John Cook just grabbed one of those, and sticks potatoes in that tray there.”

“Is everyone on this boat named John?” Shivani wished she had opted to keep the name, it was obviously a good pirate name.

“Okay, now give me those onions and we will start frying them right before the men line up for the grub.” Shivani pulled a large flat pan out and tossed the onions in with a slab of butter.

Sure enough the smell wafted up the passageway to the deck above, and in no time the crew stopped what they were doing to hurry down. Shortly after the crew left carrying their steaming bowls however, curses and shouts of “Kill the cook” could be heard.

Shivani looked at John. “Run!” She shouted, then followed him.

They darted down the passageway to the forward cabins where the Red Sabres bunked.

“In here!” John lifted up a flat mattress on one of the bunks to show a hidden hatch. Shivani indicated he go first and then followed quickly, hoping the mattress would drop back into place and hide the hatch.

“What is th…” Shivani started to ask, but John covered her mouth with his hand, pointing upward. Through the cracks in planks above them Shivani could see they were in a small crawlway underneath the floor, and could easily be heard by anyone above. She and John froze as if turned to statues when the crew pounded over their heads seeking them.

A screaming sounded then, that of a wild animal in fear or pain, maybe both. Shivani and John clung to each other in terror as the sound came closer and intermingled with the sound of something being dragged.

Heavy boot steps echoed in their ears from the other end of the passageway, then the Captain’s booming voice.

“Unhand ’im!” He growled. The sound of a sword leaving its sheath followed.

A loud thud over their heads and they could see through the cracks in the planks the face of a man for a second before he scurried away.

“Git back to work ’fore ye taste my sword.” The Captain shouted.

“Aye Aye Captain!” The crew members that had been dragging the man scurried out.

Shivani and John both jumped and screamed as a glowing red sword pierced through the crack between the slats over their head.

“Ye can come out now.” The Captain's voice echoed eerily down to them.

Scared, but obedient; Shivani and John crawled back through the hidden hatch. The Captain eyed them for a minute and then grunted. “Where’s my supper? And my men? D’ ‘ye think we dinna need to eat?”

“Right away, Captain sir!” Shivani said, trying to imitate his gruff voice. John saluted him.

“Who was that man they were hurting?” Shivani asked, knowing the answer already.

“John Cook.” Evil John whispered, his eyes round in fear.

They were terrified on the walk back to the galley, clinging to each other; their eyes darting around for signs of an ambush. Surprisingly the crew ignored them. They all seemed to be taken over by some renewed energy and good will. Shivani noticed their eyes were overly large pools in their dirty faces.

“I think these men are on drugs, John.” She whispered, pushing him into the galley alcove.

Not knowing how to cook a steak, Shivani pulled the pot of stew off the small open fire pit. She lined the steaks up on the blackened grillwork that covered the pit. In one corner she lay the flat pan filled with sliced onions. A wonderful aroma emerged, the combination of the steak and onions. She pulled the tray with the potatoes steaming on it.

“Oh no, look! The steaks have dripped all over them, what should we do?” Shivani asked, then jumped. The Captain and the Red Sabres had entered the galley.

“Somethin’ smells good.” one of the men said, sniffing the air.

There was no time to change anything. Evil John grabbed plates and they forked the steaks and potatoes onto the plates, slathering the fried onions over the top.

Before they cleaned the dishes and galley that night, Shivani tapped John on the shoulder. She pulled two potatoes out from a under a pot lid.

“These were left over from the Sabre’s meal. Come on John, let’s eat first.” Shivani bit into hers, surprised how good they tasted with the steak juices dripped onto them.

“Mmm, these are really good!” John said, demolishing his.

“Well I wasn’t eating that stew, that is for sure.” Shivani declared, polishing hers off as well.

The next morning the Captain popped his head into the galley. Shivani and John both stood at attention and Shivani imitated Evil John’s salute this time.

“Ye two are the official cooks from now on.” The Captain bellowed.

It turned out that it wasn’t just the meal that swayed the Captain; although he and the Sabres each whacked Shivani and Evil John hard on the back to show their appreciation of what they called “The best grub we’ve ever had on this tub!”

It seemed the Captain was also very impressed by the hard work the crew put in after eating what he called “the hearty stew.” He said he had never seen the men more eager to put in a day's labor. The fact that the men cleaned the rest of the pot of stew up later and then had the renewed vigor to scrub the ship from top to bottom is what clinched the decision.

This post has been edited by mALX: Apr 6 2010, 12:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 18 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Hmm, that second tap . . .

Ale? Beer? (I know what it does to my chili!) Wine? Nordic whiskey? Cyrodiilic brandy?

Ah! Skooma! The wide eyes are the giveaway!

I fell out of my chair laughing over the culinary adventures of Master Jack and Evil John!

And I recognize the names of the pirates from the Dunbarrow Cove DLC! Whoo hoo!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 18 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Will comment on the new installment soon- just have to edit this one to avoid double-posting (AGAIN).

ETA- "My name is John. You may call me.... John."

You have an absolute genius for this kind of story-telling... I can only admire it- and laugh myself silly.

Arrr- ff. (Pirate dachshund-speak for- "I loved it.")

We would be more than thrilled to have you bring the other kitty over here with you- just follow the plan Acadian and haute and others are using- update once every couple of days. Yes, it will take a while to get everything moved, but we do not mind. And you are not limited to a single fan-fic thread at a time....

Off-topic, but wanted to mention, in case folks have missed it. Look up above the main fan-fic forum. There is a section labeled Writer Sub-forums. There you will find great work by minque and Black Hand and Redsrock and Jack Cloudy.... And I could go on... some of the stories there are completed or inactive (at the moment), but I encourage everyone to go there for some fine writing!

Now back to the ever-wonderful Maxical- erm, mALX!

This post has been edited by treydog: Mar 19 2010, 02:26 AM

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 18 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #19

Paladin
Group Icon

Yes, some of me mates from the thieves den indeed!

What a wonderful light romp this is!

Aye, aye mALX fetcth me that galley wench and avast me hearties! salute.gif

Yum. I even got fed here. Steak, onions and tatos at that. Well done!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 18 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

The last several weeks since your game crashed have been very good to you mALX. Not having the Thieves Den I don't recognize some of the characters that the others do, but Captain Dugal's name brought a smile to my face. You are taking the existing lore and twisting it to your own ends, may the Nine protect us all! wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:13 PM