Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 5, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
ghastley
post Aug 26 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 26 2011, 02:53 PM) *

On the other hand, maybe Teresa's Agronak was better off after all. At least he does not have to worry about an Annoying Fan following him around everywhere!

It immediately struck me that this could completely ruin a quiet afterlife! The annoying fan is the most-killed NPC in the game after all. so he's definitely going to be on the other side.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 26 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

Buffy's meeting with Owyn was hilarious !! Then to top it off, the Adoring Fan - Awesome chapter !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Aug 27 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #43

Knower
Group Icon

Yay, a letter from Sir Magoza! :smile:

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
The_Lost_King
post Sep 1 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #44

Associate

FINALLY, i have caught up now i can get back to my life, at least until you make another chapter. This is a great book and Buffy and Savlian are sooo cute together i can just picture. smile.gif You really make Buffy come alive. I loved it so much i tried to role play, i failed miserably sad.gif . I love y\the sense of urgency to the fights as buffy fights for her life.

btw what mods do you and buffy use?

This post has been edited by The_Lost_King: Sep 1 2011, 01:14 AM
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 2 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #45

Paladin
Group Icon

During Episode 127, Buffy received a letter from Sir Mazoga indicating that both she and Sir Agronak would be visiting The Imperial City. Knowing she would be leaving for Kvatch before the knightly orcs arrived, Buffy left a reply to Mazoga’s letter with Owyn at the Arena. There, she briefly met Agronak’s adoring fan who was pining away for the Grand Champion. Finally, she finished the episode in the Arboretum District by chatting with three of the Nine Divines and her paladin.

KC- Thank you for those kind words. I’m betting we’ll see little Fanador again. smile.gif

Rider- Considering how dramatically different Mazoga is from Buffy, I’m delighted every time we try to write for the orc that she seems to cooperate and come across well. laugh.gif Thank you!

Destri- Thank you for pointing out the limitations of potions vs invisibility. Drinking a potion does indeed dispel invisibility so I deleted that portion of Boderi’s remarks. It goes to show that Buffy doesn't try to combine disappearing and drinking enough to know any better – but Boderi certainly should have. Poisoning her bow while invisible however, does not dispel the invisibility so we kept that reference. Buffy's also learned that she can even change clothes while standing invisibly in the middle of the street! Handy for a little clothes horse. laugh.gif

I’m so glad that ‘Zoga’s letter met Sir Rugrat’s approval. I can’t help but channel Klingons when thinking of orcs in all their noble savagery - even down to their. . . vigorous mating rites.

Grits- Thank you for highlighting (as did Destri and SubRosa) that Buffy is getting a little better at working her feminine wiles. It was enlightening to me to visit garden of the Nine in the Arboretum with Buffy and a great chance to draw out some of her spirituality. Before heading off for the challenge of her life seemed the right time to do so.

SubRosa- Yes! Agronak did fare better in BF than TF. wink.gif Naked tusk locking with the most beautiful orc in Cyrodiil certainly trumps getting killed in the Arena! I’m so glad Buffy talked him out of that place. Of course, there still is that concern about Fanador. . . .

When we walked the Arboretum long before writing the episode Kyne just demanded to take a roll – for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Thank you.

ghastley- After traveling a long dark tunnel called death, you see brightness at the end backlighting an awaiting figure. As you draw closer you can hear a repeating chant consisting of two words: “By Azura!”. A white aura surrounds the grinning blonde Bosmeri boy. You hear your own words now, “Oh dear Mazoga. I don’t think we’re in Cyrodiil anymore.” ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

mALX- Thank you! I can’t even think of Owyn without the wonderfully gruff character you have portrayed in Maxical’s story coming to mind.

Zalphon- I like the letters from Sir Mazoga too. They provide us a delightful little break from thngs like spelling and grammar for a time. tongue.gif Thank you!

The Lost King- Thank you so much for joining us and your kind words! We are currently posting an episode each Friday and hope you will stay with us! Regarding our mods, beyond a short list of utilities, they include a BAB compilation, Cosmetic Compilation Revised, Slofs Oblivion Horses, Slofs Summonable Epona (dramatically tweaked by me in the CS), Love Your Horse, Babarized Brash Leather Armor & Bows, BAB Fancy Shirt 07, Luchaires Neck Seam Consealer, Voice Set (Innocent), Spells Be Effective, Denock Arrows, Chase Camera Mod, Actors In Charge, OSR 1-3 (poses), See You Sleep, Portable Campsite, Bag of Holding, Short Grass, DarN’s dark interface. She also uses a couple of mods made by friends that provide a black version of her buckskin greaves and waterbags.

128 Let Sleeping Mares Lie

I opened one of the tall double doors just enough to slip into the main stable building of Equestria, then quietly pulled it almost closed behind me. Taking a moment, I let my eyes adjust from predawn darkness to the soft bluish glow inside. Like the stable at Bravil, Equestria eschewed the hazards posed by flame and used Ayleid glow stones for illumination.

I stepped closer to the Dwemer heater and rubbed my hands together. The cylindrical device that took the chill out of the cool morning air rose to the level of my waist and measured about half the length of an arrow across. Intricate designs were etched into the mysterious dark gold metal of its surfaces. Like the Orrery or other Dwemer contraptions, I had no idea what magic powered it. Nevertheless, with the manipulation of a single lever, it could provide flame-free gentle heat.

Feeling a subtle pressure on the buckskin of my boot, I knelt and whispered, "Good morning, Welkynd. How's my favorite mouser?" The cat, whose coat displayed perhaps every shade of brown and yellow known to mer, stretched, then circled against my leg as I stood.

I inhaled the intoxicating smells of leather and horses while reveling in what a wonderful facility Equestria was. The loft above was neatly stacked with feed bags, bales of hay and other supplies. There were paintings of majestic steeds and arcane riders adorning the walls above the long line of wooden pegs and racks that held beautifully cared for tack.

My eyes fell upon Thernd, who paused his grooming of a chestnut mare that was heavy in foal. The stable master placed a finger over his lips, then pointed to one of the large box stalls.

I silently mouthed a ‘good morning' to him then moved to where I could see through the open door of the stall he indicated. Superian was lying on her side in the straw that covered the floor, eyes closed and breathing gently. It wasn't often that I saw the mare off her feet.

The Bosmer smiled and stepped over to join me. He then quietly said, "She's happy here sure enough, and feels safe. Horses be herd and prey animals, so they normally sleep standin' for a quick escape from danger. As ye know, they're well equipped ta do so. Here though, between Bandit, the imp guardians and the other horses, she be feelin' protectively surrounded by a herd. Does ye need her up early this mornin’?"

I quite loved watching Superian sleeping so peacefully. After a moment I whispered, "We'll leave for Kvatch soon, but let her sleep some more." I then winced a bit as I added, "I-I don't know when she'll get the chance to feel this safe again."

Thernd continued to kept his voice as low as mine. "Inta harm's way, is it, for the speedy mare and her elven mistress?"

Before I could reply, I heard scratching at the stable doors. A black nose worked its way in, then coaxed one of the doors open a bit more. The silver gray furry body of Bandit followed. He ran straight to me, briefly buried his muzzle in my crotch, then just as quickly charged into Superian's stall to investigate the sleeping mare.

In response to the tail-wagging dog's loud sniffs, Superian's eyes opened. In a brief flurry of thrashing hooves that Bandit was wise enough to jump clear of, the mare rose to her feet. As the straw-covered horse eyed her audience, an indignant snort could not disguise what I clearly sensed as sheepishness on her part as if to say, ‘You caught me’.

"Your hair’s a mess this morning, precious girl," I teased while retrieving grooming supplies from our saddlebags that hung on a nearby rack. "Let's get you all silky, shiny and free of straw." I then began to inspect each of her hooves.

Thernd chuckled. "I see Bandit's back from his mornin’ check of the valley and happily nosin' the ladies." After fishing into a pocket, he slipped the stem of his unlit pipe into one corner of his mouth. "'Tis fear I saw on yer face when ye mentioned Kvatch." His words did not carry a question, but one bushy raised eyebrow did.

I nodded as I traded Superian’s hoof pick for her curry.

"What be troublin’ ye, lass? Is Kvatch so different from the dangers ye've faced afore?"

I looked at Thernd for a moment, then blurted, "I'm afraid of three things at Kvatch: Getting my heart broken, dying, and leaving Superian as an orphan."

No surprise registered on Thernd's face. "Well, I can't help ye in the broken heart arena; had me own broke a few decades ago and still ain't exactly figured out what I woulda done different. Far as gettin' killed, ye be but a small target and, ta hear Boderi Farano tell it, well trained. I can indeed be helpin' ye with that last concern though."

I finished with the curry and handed Thernd a stiff brush. "You mean what would happen to Superian if I am killed?" I began to untangle the mare’s long mane with my fingertips, removing straw as I worked.

"Aye.” He expertly started flicking the brush over Superian’s coat. “Do ye know Galerion?"

I thought of the large paint stallion that normally stayed on the eastern end of the valley, and nodded my reply.

"Then ye know he be the horse of Morandor - the Kvatch guild magister who was killed when Daedra invaded the city. Since ye be a Bravilian, I figure ye know Carandial and his bay gelding, Aetherius?"

"Of course," I replied. My fingers were now working on the straw and tangles in Superian’s tail.

"Anything happens ta Carandial, old Aetherius'll retire here as well. Ye see, Buffy, Equestria is like a lifetime guild for the horses of mages. If ye say the word, yer mare will always have a home.” Thernd finished with the stiff brush and switched to a soft one. As he began smoothing Superian’s coat, an approving nicker confirmed how the mare felt about this part of her grooming. “Now, nothin'll happen ta Superian's elf in Kvatch of course, but if ye mention yer intent ta Sigrid or Bolden up there, ye can forget about worryin’ over this fine mare and concentrate on what ye need ta be doin’ up there."

The doors opened wider and one of Thernd's stable hands poked his head in. "Mornin' boss, the barge is early and that wagon full of manure still ain't dry. You know them Waterfront types; if it ain't dry enough, we won't get as much gold for it."

"I'll be right out ta dry it, Gaenor", replied Thernd. "Go ahead and hitch Belle up ta the wagon while I help Buffy saddle her mare."

"You sell horse manure?" I asked as I positioned Superian's saddle pad.

"Well, it only takes a wee nibble out of our feed costs but it gets the stuff out of the valley. Between the crumbly texture and smell, the Waterfront folks are about the only ones ta use it as fuel." Thernd deftly placed Superian's saddle, checked under it for smooth positioning of her pad then began tightening the girth. "They sell the rest - not for much mind ye - ta some of the outlyin' farms as fertilizer."

"How do you dry it? Doesn't it take days in the sun?" I asked, adjusting the mare's bridle.

"Yer the mage.” He winked slyly. “Ye tell me."

As Thernd placed our saddlebags behind the cantle and strapped them in place, Superian’s ears perked. She now knew that these preparations did not foreshadow a normal local ride for exercise. Pawing the floor with a hoof, she clearly expressed her eagerness to be on the road again.

I tied on my bedroll and securely attached the last of our traveling gear to the saddle while pondering Thernd’s challenge. "Well," I said tentatively, "I understand there was a rather gifted young mage a few years ago who was trying to develop magic that would purge or dissipate water. The trouble, it seems, was limiting the effect to just undesired moisture. I understand the closest he got was turning a live wet rat into a dried little . . . brick. It seems the schools of mysticism and alteration never could agree on-"

"Buffy, we're not tryin' ta dry yer dainty little self off after a bath," interrupted Thernd as he rolled his eyes. "Who cares if ye kill horse manure?"

"I don't understand." I said, turning to face Thernd. "That mage discontinued his research some time ago I believe, without perfecting the purge water effect." In response to a gentle nudge at my back, I reached up behind me with one hand to rub the mare’s long nose and said over my shoulder, “We’re almost ready, girl.”

"Bah. Don't they teach ye anything useful up in that parchment palace these days?” The Bosmer opened the stable doors wide for Superian and I. “Ye simply freeze the stuff. Then, since the ice be magical, ye dispel it and yer left with dry manure.”

By now, Superian was fairly prancing as I led her out of the building into the brightening promise of a beautiful day. "That's brilliant, Thernd!" I grinned at the implications of applying the idea to wet clothes and buckskins.

The Bosmer shook his head. "University graduates - ye know everything but common sense." His eyes sparkled. "Safe trip, lass."

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 2 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

Absolutely! Freeze drying's ta way ta go!

Loved the description of the stable and of Superian sleeping on her side. That Bandit, always causing trouble, just like his namesakes! Good thing that chestnut mare wasn't in active labor, or Thernd'll have trouble helping Buffy!

Superian is just like Blanco, ready to hit the road again at the slightest hint of a signal in that direction.

I wrote down the list of mods you listed, and will be heading off to TES Nexus to investigate them. My game is already fairly modded (though not quite on the scale of TK or KC's games), but there's still a couple of things I'd like to see improved. Skin texture is one of them!

I forgot to mention that I loved the partial anagram that makes up the Adoring Fan's given name. It's perfect! Fanador!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

The Dwemer heater was a nice addition to Equestria, not to mention the flame-proof welkynd lights. It surprises me how many places in Cyrodiil use torches or lamps, when those glowing stones are all over the place. All one has to do is dig them up, and you have never-ending light.

Speaking of welkynd, what a perfect name for a Mages Guild cat! smile.gif

And how wonderful of Equestria to take care of the horses of departed guild members. That is at least one of those three loads off of Buffy's shoulders.

I see you continued my tradition of dung fires on the Waterfront! biggrin.gif Such odiferous locations we have. wink.gif Let's just hope no one tries drying it with an Enemies Explode spell! ohmy.gif

in that parchment palace
An excellent name for the halls of academia. smile.gif

So now we are off and on the road. To Kvatch we go!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 2 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #48

Councilor
Group Icon

I inhaled the intoxicating smells of leather and horses while reveling in what a wonderful facility Equestria was.

What a warm and friendly atmosphere! Cats, dogs, wood elves, and horses. I could stay there all day! It’s no surprise that Buffy blurted out her deepest fears to Thernd. What a comfort that he could help with one of them.

"Well," I said tentatively, "I understand there was a rather gifted young mage a few years ago who was trying to develop magic that would purge or dissipate water. The trouble, it seems, was limiting the effect to just undesired moisture. I understand the closest he got was turning a live wet rat into a dried little . . . brick. It seems the schools of mysticism and alteration never could agree on-"

ohmy.gif Hilarious and horrifying. Those mages! I’m sure the frost/dispel will be handy for clothing, but Buffy has been good at keeping her greaves dry lately! tongue.gif

Buffy and Thernd’s actions were perfect throughout. Superian went from asleep to prancing out the door without a break in conversation. Tremendous!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 2 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #49

Master
Group Icon

I didn’t even know horses ever slept off their feet. I thought she was sick at first!

Well I think Buffy got at least one concern out of her system talking to Thernd. The others she shall see to herself.

Buffy’s got new quick way of drying her clothes now, not that she seems to get them wet very much. She tends to take them off first. wink.gif

After all the physics classes I’ve taken Thernd’s way of drying things really bothers me, but for TES I’ll over look certain laws of nature laugh.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 2 2011, 10:43 PM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

Freeze-dried dung! Why does that remind me of the instant coffee from my college days?

So do the crazy and impractical magicians. Except that they actually did do (induced magnetic) levitation fairly successfully in the end. It was just that there were some spectacular failures along the way, that were always a bit of a facepalm moment afterwards. "University graduates - ye know everything but common sense."

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 3 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

I absolutely loved this little jaunt into Equestria - what a pleasant surprise !! Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Sep 3 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #52

Mouth
Group Icon

Buffy's also learned that she can even change clothes while standing invisibly in the middle of the street! Handy for a little clothes horse. laugh.gif

Leave it to Buffy to find an application for invisibility that never would have occurred to me! *facepalm*

There aren’t many writers around who could mine gold from a chapter in which there is no action, and the only conflict occurs when an impulsive dog wakes a sleeping horse! That you have been able to do so is testament to your prodigious skill, Acadian. There is so much in this chapter to admire: The description of the Dwemer heater, and the well-appointed stables at Equestria; Superian’s nap and her somewhat rude awakening by Bandit, who shows the canniness of his namesake by retreating in the face of a rising horse. I also enjoyed the unintentional wisdom imparted by Thernd when he tells Buffy that his own heart has been broken, but he doesn’t regret the actions taken that resulted in it. It is also nice to know that Superian will not go wanting if Buffy never emerges from the Deadlands (perish the thought). ohmy.gif

"Bah. Don't they teach ye anything useful up in that parchment palace these days?” The Bosmer opened the stable doors wide for Superian and I. “Ye simply freeze the stuff. Then, since the ice be magical, ye dispel it and yer left with dry manure.”

I thought of freezing the horse manure, but using Dispel to dry it out completely eluded me. I agree with Buffy, that is brilliant! This was the perfect conclusion to the calm before the storm. I am anxious to see what happens next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 9 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #53

Paladin
Group Icon

Episode 128 found Buffy and Superian - with the able assistance of Thernd - making preparations for a dawn departure from the University. Although Equestria’s stable master could do little to soothe Buffy’s concerns, he did put her somewhat at ease regarding the care of Superian should the mare’s elf not survive Kvatch. He also described what seemed to be a useful technique for drying inanimate objects.

Rider- Thank you! The Valley of the Horses and Equestria is a magical place for us and a joy to try and describe. Thanks for the endorsement of Fanador – we considered similar names ranging from Adorfus to Fanlin, but Fanador stuck.

SubRosa- Hee! Imp guardians, Bandit, Welkynd and plenty of horses – Thernd has plenty of fun company. I thank TF for first associating the Waterfront with using oderific but cheap fuel and proudly admit to borrowing from your inspiration. I’m so pleased you enjoyed the dwemer heater; it seemed just the right touch to highlight the fusion of mystical wonder + horse manure that is Equestria.

Grits- Gosh, your words warm my heart. I was so hoping to impart some of what Buffy considers the magically intoxicating atmosphere of Equestria! happy.gif It was fun here painting Buffy as just a bit of an academic pinhead and loading up Thernd with common sense. It was also great fun using Superian as active background continuity for this episode. I was trying to show how second nature grooming and saddling up Superian was for Buffy and, of course, Thernd.

KC- Thanks! Buffy’s horse knowledge is limited to what Superian has taught her. She knew the mare sometimes slept off her feet, but didn’t understand why or when until Thernd explained it to her. I’m so glad you can accept the magical poop of physics in Buffy's world; it is such fun to live in a land where you can cast fireballs and summon helpers!

ghastley- Ah, so levitation comes from being induced magnetically. I just figured it was some kinda mysterious Morrowindy magic. tongue.gif So it looks like Thernd invented freeze drying! Thank you!

mALX- As important as the University and her mare are to Buffy, we simply had to provide for a stable for the Guild of Mages of course. And I’m so glad we did some time ago, for it is great fun to come back and visit and I love that it is part of BF. Thank you!

Destri- Thank you for those kind words. Coming from a master such as yourself, they mean so very much. Some of our favorite scenes are simple ones where Buffy's hands are busy as she talks among friends. I’m so glad you’re enjoying some of our common sense applications for magic.

129 A Cranky Slayer

Red and black banners depicting Masser and Secunda in quarter phase flanked the east gate to my right. The imposing spires of Castle Skingrad towered high above us on the hill to our left. Superian began to pick her way along the narrow trail between castle and city into the westering sun.

A dark feeling tugged at my memory as we drew abeam the castle. Superian stopped for me while I gazed up at the lofty towers and gray walls. I recalled the same discomfort when passing near this castle while I was here for my guild recommendation, but its significance was not clear at the time. After my experience clearing Gutted Mine on behalf of Azura however, the ominous sensation was unmistakable. "Vampires. Do you feel it, Acadian?"

"Aye. Have you forgotten that you are a Slayer?" he replied.

"Don't call me that!" I regretted my sharp tone as soon as the words were out of my mouth. "Do you suppose the Count or his guards realize there may well be vampires nesting under Castle Skingrad?"

"Are you going to snap at me again if I answer?" he said with a touch of humor. "I meant no offense."

"I know, my paladin. I've been irritable all day and I'm sorry."

"Do you think you should warn the castle?" He then added lightly, "About the vampires I mean - not your irritability."

I smiled at Acadian's joke, then pondered the question. "No. I don't feel like explaining how I detect their presence and I probably wouldn't be believed anyway." Superian sensed my will and resumed her trek along the narrow hoof-worn path bordering the city's southern wall. "Besides, I'm not sure what it would draw us into and I won't allow anything further to delay our trip to Kvatch. Surely the castle guard force is well equipped to deal with such matters, and we have more important foes to slay." The feeling began to ease as our distance from the castle opened behind us.

As we neared the stable, I noticed a Bosmer striding purposefully toward us. Superian stopped. The elf's long brown hair was swept back dramatically from a sharp widow's peak. He wore a brown and blue russet felt outfit with green leggings.

"Good day, sister Bosmer. My name is Glarthir." His eyes did not meet mine. Rather, they quickly surveyed the bow staff and forest of arrow tails bristling above my shoulders, then darted down to Superian's elegant saddle and the emblazoned stable mark from Equestria. "I have need to hire the services of a capable and discreet elf. You like gold, don't you?" Even when speaking to me, his eyes flitted in every direction, as if scanning for danger.

Superian's ears swiveled at the elf's disconcertingly melodious voice. I heard and felt a slight jangle from her bit travel up the reins as she nervously bobbed her head slightly. "My name's Buffy, and I'm not for hire. I plan to simply layover the night and continue toward Kvatch in the morning."

The wild eyes opened wider and briefly focused on mine. "Kvatch? You're crazy! Especially since my proposal could make you wealthy." He continued to glance around until his jumpy gaze paused on Tilmo, the nearby stable hand. "Look. We can't talk here. Meet me behind the chapel at midnight."

"Did I stutter?" As if to reinforce my words, Superian pawed the ground and blew hard. "I said I'm not available. Nor am I stupid enough to meet some stranger alone in the middle of the night. Good day to you, brother Bosmer."

His eyes darted between Tilmo, myself and the agitated mare. Turning on his heel, he then hurried off.

The Altmeri stable hand approached. "You were rather harsh to Glarthir. Quite unlike the the Buffy I recall."

I sighed. "I know, Tilmo. I didn't need to be so sharp with him. I've been cranky all day, snapping at the smallest things for no reason. I'll apologize if I see him again."

"Just one night for Superian did I overhear?"

"Yes, we'll be leaving early in the morning." As I began to dismount, the tall mer placed his hands around my waist and lowered me lightly to the ground. “Thank you,” I said. Leading my mare into the corral for a brief drink, I added, “It's nice to see you again, Tilmo, and I hope you've been well?"

We unsaddled then groomed Superian while chatting mostly about her care, diet and boarding fees. I blew her a kiss and left the stable while she was happily picking at a small bucket of oats, augmented by corn and cracked barley.

As I approached the western entrance to the city, a young soldier on duty at the gate gave me a tired smile. His mail was adorned with the red and black surcoat of Skingrad of course. He flexed his knees with a slight wince as I drew closer.

"Long shift?" I asked.

"Aye, my feet are killing me," replied the pale-skinned Imperial - likely a Colovian. "Captain Dion’s got us on extra duty. We been short handed lately."

"I know some magic. Would you like me to cast a healing spell to help your legs and feet feel better?"

"That's mighty kind of you to offer, citizen, but my relief'll be here soon. I saw that you had words with Glarthir."

"Need I be concerned about him?" I asked. "Is he dangerous?"

"Nay, he's crazy but harmless.” He pulled one of the heavy wooden gates open for me. “Just stay away from him and let us know if he causes you any trouble."

After thanking the guard for his warning, I proceeded to Colovian Traders to sell the pelt from a poor wolf that had attacked Superian and I earlier in the day. Thanks to my irritable moodiness, I managed to alienate the Nordic shopkeeper when he referred to wolves as evil creatures. After apologizing for my sharp tone, I asked about Glarthir. Both the merchant and the woman assisting him offered similar advice to avoid the suspicious Bosmer.

I found a room for visiting mages at the guild with what I assessed to be a Vigge-proof door lock. After settling in, I made my way to the reading parlor. There I found one of my Skingrad guild mates seated in front of the gently crackling fireplace. Looking up from his book, the Bosmer’s face illuminated as he cheerfully exclaimed, "Well, if it isn't the heroine who rescued me from those zombies at Bleak Flats Cave so long ago!"

I smiled at the memory. "It's nice to see you again, Erthor."

He grinned and a warm sparkle danced in his eyes. "You still don't look like a mage."

I glared at him and my voice snarled, "Do you know how sick I am of hearing that? I’ll have you know that Boderi Farano trained me as a mystic archer and I’m as much a mage as you are!” My hands flew from where I had planted them on my hips to my mouth, but the words were already out. For the impact they had on poor Erthor, I might just as well have kicked a puppy in the gut. Suddenly, I was crying. "I-I'm so sorry, Erthor. I don't know why on Nirn I'm so-" My words were cut short as a sharp cramp gripped my pelvis and a groan escaped my lips.

The reason for my crankiness had suddenly announced itself with abundant clarity.

As the pain began to subside, I raised my head to meet Erthor's gaze. The mer was now on his feet, eyes wide as saucers. His hand gripped my upper arm to steady me. "Buffy, are you all right? Please forgive my thoughtless remark. I meant it in jest." He lifted his free hand to cast a spell. From the magic that escaped his opening fingers, a linen handkerchief appeared which he pressed into my hand.

Dabbing my still flowing tears, I said, "I know your words were meant in kindness, my friend. It is I who must ask your forgiveness. I am. . . tired and should not have snapped at you."

After managing to soothe poor Erthor's ruffled feathers, I stepped out of the guild into the narrow street. Normally I saw Sinderion for potions and such while in Skingrad, but he was. . . a he. So I turned left and headed for All Things Alchemical. It was my understanding that the shop was run by an elf of my own sex.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

"Do you suppose the Count or his guards realize there may well be vampires nesting under Castle Skingrad?"
I get the feeling he does... wink.gif

I see Buffy has finally met Glarthir. She certainly sent him packing! Looks like every other male Bosmer she meets as well. ohmy.gif Methinks there might be a physical reason for Buffy's crankiness? Perhaps even something associated with the red moon on the Skingrad guard's surcoats?

I especially enjoyed your descriptions of Superian when Buffy met Glarthir. Clearly the black mare is of a like mind with her mistress when it comes to that crazy Bosmer.

Ahhh, so Buffy is tired. Yes, that does happen to women sometimes. Along with those cramps. So she's off to see Falanu? I wonder if everyone's favorite necrophiliac will suggest orgasms as a good way to relieve menstrual cramps? If Buffy covers herself in white powder and lays very still, Falanu might even help with that... wink.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 9 2011, 04:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 9 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

a poor wolf that had attacked Superian

That wolf picked the wrong time, too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The_Lost_King
post Sep 9 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #56

Associate

Another great chapter biggrin.gif .poor Buffy. I can't wait till she gets to Kvatch it will be... interesting. you have given me 1 more reason to look forward to fridays tongue.gif
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 9 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

This is going to be a great chapter. The title made me chuckle already.

Do you think you should warn the castle?
I thought of her irritability first, and the vampire second.

Lol! Poor Erthor! And poor Buffy! I’m interested in what Buffy thinks of Falanu. Is Falanu going to ask that awkward question?

Great Chapter Acadian!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 9 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #58

Councilor
Group Icon

Red and black banners depicting Masser and Secunda in quarter phase flanked the east gate to my right. The imposing spires of Castle Skingrad towered high above us on the hill to our left. Superian began to pick her way along the narrow trail between castle and city into the westering sun.

How beautifully you set the scene, even to the time of day. I have the feeling of walking under that bridge right there with Buffy and Superian. And certainly with Acadian, whose influence might show in the word “abeam.” happy.gif I wonder if it’s going to be Tamika’s with bread and cheese for dinner.

You like gold, don't you?"

LOL. Glarthir does NOT know Buffy.

"Did I stutter?" As if to reinforce my words, Superian pawed the ground and blew hard.

ohmy.gif Run away, Glarthir! Something is amiss with Buffy, and Superian is going to back her play! Whether she’s cued in on the crazy or on Buffy’s stress, that horse is a great friend.

I found a room for visiting mages at the guild with what I assessed to be a Vigge-proof door lock.

Do I remember a threat to turn him into a chicken? laugh.gif

Hopefully Buffy is too tanned and healthy looking to attract unwanted attention from Falanu. blink.gif Skingrad can be an uncomfortable place, but it makes a very engaging read!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 10 2011, 01:36 AM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

As I was reading this, I was thinking to myself, do elves get PMS?

Then my question was answered by her response to our dear friend Erthor!

And now I'm wondering if Superian is in season as well? It wouldn't be unusual if the pair of them hit that point in their cycles at the same time!

No indication of bloating? Greaves fitting a little tighter than usual? At least she isn't preggers! That wet dream she had not so long ago was pretty convincing! wink.gif

Yeah, I'd love to see Buffy walk up to the Castle and announce: "Do you know you've got vampires in the cellar and bats in the belfry?" That's a sure way to get the Count's attention! Would he be the sort of Count you want the attention of?

Ahh, Glarthir. Julian was fortunate to have missed him. So far. But my new character has already encountered him. Ugh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Sep 10 2011, 03:18 AM
Post #60

Knower
Group Icon

I remember an army joke I heard long ago - on how to create the meanest infantry in the world. You take a bunch of female soldiers, get them all to PMS at the same time, then point out the enemy to them and tell them that the enemy just claimed their heinies looked fat in their pants...
+Quote Post

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:32 AM