4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The story of Ann Thraxx, a survivor of Kvatch
Lady Saga
post May 3 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #41

Mouth
Group Icon

Thank you, thank you. Sorry about the last bit. I thought I'd have some time to write on that particular day. Alas, that was not to be the case. Happens sometimes. kvright.gif Anyways, let's get on with it today.

@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--

Chapter IX

Heartfire 6, 3rd Era, Year 433, 1:18 am

"Look! There she is again! It is that home-less lady I saw earlier yesterday afternoon!"

The dark-haired one was now pointing towards a figure who looked to be combing through a barrel, apparently looking for items of interest.

"She prob'bly went through every barrel, crate, and sack as she looted! I'm betting there is not a single item or food-stuff in the public area of the Markets! She prob'bly sold them all, and ate the rest. No shame has she--"

"Poor thing. We should pool together our coins, may-hap. We certainly have plenty to help", says the red-haired one.

The dark-haired one now laughs cautiously, as if she has a certain respect for her partner, but can't resist a bit of the contrary. "Are ...you ...joking? She's able-bodied! Let her rise from her own boot-straps, like us."

The red-haired one turns to the dark-haired one, giving her a look that could freeze a fire elemental in its tracks.

"I am going to pretend now, that I did not hear you say that. We are strong. We have coin. It is our very duty to help'th if we can. And we can".

The dark-haired one now flips her hair upwards, rolling her eyes, obviously not in agreement with the red-haired one.

The two had recently escaped from the Sewers below the city. Well, not just 'escaped', they had also been freed from their shared prison cell, managed to scour their way through a long network of maze-like rooms, halls, and tunnels, and finally witnessed a series of events which would change both of their lives forever. Before all of this, both had met recently in the Imperial City, looking for adventure-type work, but instead being mistaken for a couple of outlaw ruffians. It was a mistake which had happened mostly because of their dress. Both had been wearing rough clothes as they entered the Imperial City, yet both also somehow had obvious coin in their pockets. Being outsiders, it was assumed this coin was stolen, and within no time, it was "time for the lock-up, then".

Forced to share a cell with just one bedroll, the red-haired one and the dark-haired one got to know each other easily, as a sarcastic dark elf berated them from across the hall in a seperate cell. Turns out, these two shared a few things in common. Because of this, they had made plans to further their careers together, once this whole "mistaken identity" thing was taken care of. Both were aspiring melee-types who favored 'swords & boards', both had a desire to seek out the Fighter's Guild (for both had the "stones for it"), and both were interested in doing good deeds.

...But now that these two were out of their cell and out of their prison sentences, it was becoming more and more obvious that they did, in fact, have some ideals which clashed. The dark-haired one, for instance, made it quickly known that she put herself first, and would be furthering her career mostly for her own satisfaction. It was apparent in the way she spoke and the way she carried herself. "Houses". "Gold". "Fame". "Fortune". Those were four words the dark-haired one used constantly as she spoke with the red-haired one.

The red-haired one, on the other hand, desired to do things for the better good of the peoples of Cyrodiil. She would not be putting herself first, in other words. Also, the red-haired one was a devout follower of The Nines, whereas the dark-haired one admitted she had never even prayed at a chapel altar. Finally, the dark-haired one showed an immediate interest in seeing the Arena after escaping the sewers ("We can bet! We can make money! Once we have upgraded our gear, we can even participate!"). The red-haired one scoffed at this. "Why? I don't need to prove me-self to the world for fame! For such triviality! Such a waste of talents!"

Both were supposed to be going off towards Chorrol to deliver a heavy, red Amulet which the Emperor himself (now deceased) had given them, and both still planned to do so, but the red-haired one was beginning to think that was (perhaps) where their travels together should possibly end.

After leaving the sewers, selling various wares which they had found down there, both needed a break before heading off to Chorrol. Hence, they were now spending a few days in the Imperial City before setting off.

"Come on, giveth me some coin. Pony up!" bullies the red-haired one rather angrily, nudging the dark-haired one with her elbow.

"I am not. She prob'ly found plenty as she looted, any-ways".

"It is our duty to assist! Do you not understand this? Do you not see? We are stronger than she. We can help. We must do so", the red-haired one explains, hoping to talk some sense to the dark-haired one. "She will prob'bly only need'th a single coin, any-ways".

"Oh, and let me guess. If we give her more than a single coin, she will be willing to tell us the latest rumors about town", the dark-haired one barks. "I will pass, thank you. I do not need to indulge myself. We do not owe the peoples of this Imperial City as such. Why, they do not even have a Fighter's Guild hall here! What 'rumor', then, could she possibly dispel that we do not already know?"

With this, the red-haired one goes now ignores the dark-haired one, and calls to the lady-figure as she closes up a final barrel.

"You! You there! Come hither!"

But the homeless lady apparently does not hear, and now steps off into a door.

"There. See. She is off to the Boarding House, then. Are you satisfied? She prob'ly has plenty of coin for a night's rest. Now come on!" orders the dark-haired one "Come, let us get some rest. What say you?"

"Well. Okay", says the red-haired one, with enough reluctance to show she meant it. "You win. THIS time".

"Merchant's Inn again? Or would you prefer we stay somewhere more up-scale? I hear the Tiber Septim Hotel in the Talos District has a nice suite with plenty of food", the dark-haired one tempts with a wink.

"Merchant's Inn. It is less of an expense".

"Fine. Let us be gone, then".

As the two now leave the Elven Gardens for the Markets, Ann walks into Luther Broad's, hoping the man will accept her gold for another night.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: May 3 2012, 04:46 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 3 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #42

Evoker

YAAAAY!!! More Ann. I am happy smile.gif

What an interesting chapter you have here! the introduction of Red and Black certainly peaked my interest, I almost felt like i was reading a different story until Ann arrived at the end.

It'll be interesting to see whether these two characters become allies of foes to our dear Ann, or whether they even meet her at all! tongue.gif

I also love the little twist you put on tutorial dungeon with having both Red and Black escape from the same cell. It is very interesting!

Can't wait for more!

P.S A little off topic, but the next Jess of Valor will be up VERY soon ;P

Keep up the good work!!
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 3 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #43

Mouth
Group Icon

Heh heh...those who know me from Bethsoft over these past years may already know who red & black are. smile.gif But I'm saving the revealing of their identities for later chapters.

QUOTE(Andrea @ May 3 2012, 11:13 AM) *

P.S A little off topic, but the next Jess of Valor will be up VERY soon ;P

Yes. You'd better get Jess up very soon! Just kidding. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 3 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

I enjoyed the flow and dialogue of this chapter, and as much as I like it in theory - the less play with the fonts does seem to aid immersion. Great Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 4 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #45

Paladin
Group Icon

A fun episode raising loads of questions.

After hearing the differing aspirations of Red and Black, followed by a description of their amulet task, I was fearful that Black was going to sell the gaudy thing.

“If we give her more than a single coin, she will be willing to tell us the latest rumors about town."
Either that or ‘gittin’ meself a new pair o' shoes’.

So the girls decide on Merchants’ Inn. I agree. Much cheaper than the Tiger Scrotum Tiber Septim. I think Ann is wise to opt for Luther Broad’s. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 26 2012, 10:32 PM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

Tiber Scrotum? *chuckles*

@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--

Chapter X

Heartfire 6, 3rd Era, Year 433, 2:31 am

"What was that? Did I hear somebody call my name?"

Ann steps back out of Luther Broad's Boarding House to have a look upon the causeway. She looks right and she looks left, but cannot see anybody.

"I know I heard somebody call my name. Hello?" she calls out, but nobody answers.

Never mind. Ann is very tired. She can barely comprehend why somebody would call after her, but she knows what she heard.

She gets back into Luther Broad's now, eager to fall right back into the same bed she slept in the night (and day) before.

"Good evening"
says a pleasant Redguard. He's dressed in cheap attire, just like Ann, and this immediately pleases her. Not everybody in the city was a chic, stuck-up snob. Apparently the Imperial City housed all types; Cyrodiil's melting-pot society at its finest. She had certainly seen plenty of evidence for this during the last few days.

She rents the room, and falls quickly to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
CHAPTER XI

Turdas, 9:57 am, Heartfire 6, 3rd Era, Year 433

"OH!!!!"

Ann wakes with a start! She's just had another nightmare of sorts, but this one was not as severe. As she gets up quickly and jumps out of bed .... that evil bed, Ann realizes that at least she's handled this one with more civility. She didn't roll across the floor and cry out for Mara's help as she did the day before.

She was dreaming she was in some sort of theatre-house. In the dream, she felt an assumption that she had been here before; the place seemed familiar. But she was alone. Marcus was not there, nor were any of her friends or family.

She looked down at her clothes, and was surprised to see she's not wearing her usual peasant's garb, instead she had on some really finely-tailored things! A blue & gold dress, as a matter of fact. Although she couldn't see herself, Ann touched her hair, and realized it had been patiently coifed, and her face felt as though it had foundation applied.

In other words, she had dressed for some sort of occasion, dressed more finely than she'd ever dressed before!

She had a seat. Soon the show began. The curtain was drawn back, revealing a light that seemed extremely harsh, Ann immediately thought.

First, the dark elf who ran the Feed Bag came on stage. Under the harsh light, he squinted his eyes, and fumbled with his lines, got confused about what he was supposed to say. From behind her, Ann heard somebody say BOO!, but when she looked back there, she could see nobody.

She investigated further, and realized that she was the only one in the theatre-house.

Soon, a cat-person came onstage.

"We're all talking about the Emperor's murderrrrr! We have no...no ahh.....no EMPEROR!, and no heirs! Um...that has never before happened." he said this as though he had possibly studied his lines in between sips of mead and ale, and still did not have them down, yet.

I just don't think about it,"
says the Feed Bag dark elf. Soon, the Elder Council will take care of....ahhh...take care of..."

"...things, you ninny!!! Things!!"
says an unknown voice.

"Ahh yes. Things! The Elder Council will take care of those things, later or sooner".

As Ann witnessed all of this, she thought this is possibly the worst sort of production she had ever seen. Had she spent actual coin, and had her hair and face prettied up for this? But it wasn't over yet.

At some point, as the two actors stumbled further, an Imperial Guard strolled casually onstage. Suddenly, all eyes were upon him, as if he had some sort of answer to whatever it was they were concerned with.

As he made a rather grand gesture towards the crowd (Ann), he offered this advice:

"If you've got to travel, by the Eight Divines...."

"NINE!!! NINE DIVINES!!! THERE ARE NINE DIVINES!! Not EIGHT!!"
this was the off-stage voice again, now hysterical with rage. "Oh...I'm RUINED!"

Such nonsense! Ann couldn't take anymore. She couldn't take this simple-minded madness. As she bolted up out of her seat, she couldn't help but blurt out..

"What is it? What is it you all are really trying to say? Just say it, and be done with it."

All eyes looked to her in befuddlement.

But before they could answer, suddenly there was a loud BOOM across the theatre-house! The entire place rocked and swayed.... It's one of those sounds that was so loud, it was not only heard, it was also felt.

Ann's insides constricted. She looked to the folks on the stage, they all looked to one another, as if they had no idea what to do, either.

"So, is this real?" asked the dark elf. "Are we really under attack?" He seemed to be asking Ann this question. As though now it was she who had the answer.

It was the first human reaction Ann had received, outside of Kvatch. She realized this at once.

Outside the theatre, shouts now started to erupt, folks apparently running this way and that in total confusion. Despite all of this, Ann heard a tinkling noise. She looked onstage, where the noise was coming from. She has spied the Imperial Guard's crotch plate. He had just soiled himself, urine dripping freely from cracks in his lower armors.

Ann decided she'd be better off if she also rushed outside. Even though this is just a dream, she knows what it is, what has just happened out there. There's no way she's staying in here, then.

But before she runs off to whatever safety could be afforded, she realized had stepped on something. She looked to her feet, only to see flowers. With bright red bulbs and vibrant green stems. Flowers like she had never seen before.

Eight flowers, which despite her trampling, still lay in a neat, orderly row.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: May 30 2012, 07:22 PM
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 26 2012, 11:44 PM
Post #47

Mouth
Group Icon

@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--

Chapter XII

Heartfire 6, 3rd Era, Year 433, 12:36 pm

As her dream faded, this time she did not scream or roll across the floor. But Miss Thraxx still reacted.

She sits now upon her bed, her face a rivery mess. Crying tears and sniffling nose.

"What has become? Oh Mara...what has become?"

Just a month ago, she had been living a normal life. Waking up whenever she felt like it, chatting with the stable-hands or a Kvatch guardsman. She picked flowers, she had a life of complete temperance. Soaking in sun and playing in the rain. What had become of all this?

She spends a few moments in contemplation. One thing about this room she's rented from Luther Broad: it is really quiet in here. It's even quieter than the Kvatch's Chapel. For this reason, it's easy to think.

And think she does.
----------------------------------------------------------------

After some time passes, Ann considers her options.

1). She could go back to the Waterfront. Nice folk down there, not quite at snooty.

2). She could suss out the "sewer patrol" business Edgar Vautrine had described. But first, she would need a suitable sword. And lots and lots of flaxseed or magicka potions, to counteract her Atronach Starsign deficiency. At present, she has just 18 gold. Nowhere near enough to afford any of this. She did have sword stashed away back at Kvatch, but it (no doubt) had either been taken or ruined by now.

3). She could consider the business with Thoronir, although truthfully, she has no idea where she should begin. Shadow him. Follow him around. That's what the lady (Jensine? Yes, her name is Jensine) had suggested.

4). Or, she could do something which she already knows how to do: identify and pick flowers and mushrooms.

Ann chooses number four.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

She leaves her room and walks downstairs. As she does so, she's not surprised to see Luther staring up at her, as if he's just waiting for a chance to finally use the giant hammer (or whatever it is) on his back. What a fetcher.

Ann pays him no mind, and walks outside to a stormy day.

"...If you've got to travel, by the Nine Divines, stay on the road. The wilderness just isn't safe anymore. We've had sightings, you see. The Daedra."

At this, Ann reacts with a start. Isn't that what the guard in her dream had also said? No. That guard had confused his words. He had said Eight Divines. Eight. Not Nine. But then the man off-stage had corrected the the terrible actor with the correct number of Divines.

"Is there a better book-seller in the city than Phintias?" the guard now rambles onto another topic.

"Phintias has a fine selection of books! He's also got some rare books, as well." says a Breton man.

Ann hears this, and cannot comprehend how a man (an IMPERIAL GUARD) can just go from talking about Daedra, to talking about some stupid bookstore.

"What has become of Cyrodiil? What has become, in-deed?" Ann says under her breath.

"I suppose I have a moment. What is it?" the Breton asks Ann, apparently hearing her comment. His name is Kastus Sintav.

"What is it citizen?" asks the guard, barely giving enough time for Ann to answer the Breton's greeting.

"You! You spoke of Daedra just now!, Ann says to the guard. "Tell me what you know?"

"There's evil afloat, and no idle time for chatter. What is it?"
says the guard. Ann can already sense he's not interested in answering her question.

"The Daedra! What sayest thou about Daedra? Tell me! My name Ann Thraxx. I was present in Kvatch when thas't city was attacked! What do you know?" she can't help her emotions. Try as she might, she simply cannot keep them in check.

"If you've got to travel, by the Nine Divines, stay on the road. The wilderness just isn't safe,
the guard repeats.

"Oh". Ann says, backing away from the guard.

She doesn't know what she had hoped she would have wanted him to say. What could she have hoped for? That he would tell her something new? That another city had been attacked? What would the point be? How long did they all have here in their safe Imperial City before they too were suddenly attacked without warning?

"Well, I already knew about traveling upon the roads, sir. I would not never in a thousand eons travel through wood-lands or praries, 'specially not by me-self. But I thank thee."

"Long live the Empire!"
the guard says with pride.

The Empire..bah! Just how long would "the Empire" live? Ann realizes this is the true question. Indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--

Chapter XIII

Heartfire 6, 3rd Era, Year 433, 2:51 pm

After raiding a few more crates and barrels in the Elven Gardens District, Ann found a couple nicely-folded cloths, and another repair hammer. Who leaves all this stuff behind? she thought.

She sold her items to Thoronir, who had said "Good to see you", but his face told a different story. She could have gone into see Jensine; but the problem is Jensine would no doubt ask Ann if she had addressed the "Thoronir situation" yet? Ann had felt a momentary dread about having to report back a negative, here.

"Be-sides. Why cannot Jensine just asketh one of the guards for assistance?"

The idea seems completely plausible. Why can't the guards take care of this? But since Ann has been given the task (and since she's got a streak of honor in her blood) she simply feels the onus is hers. She's the one who must solve this. Somehow.

She walks outside the Market District door. The rain had stopped, but now it picks up again. As Ann walks to her left, she notices the hill.

Cyodiil has some mighty steep hillsides, and this one is no exception. As she looks down the hill, she sees absolutely no ingredients or flowers or mushrooms she can pick. But there's gotta be something around her somewhere. Right?

Ann goes walking around the perimeter of the Imperial City. But the hillside is way too steep. As she walks, she stays up near the wall. The rain falls steadily. Ann climbs over bolders steadily, and tries not to slip upon the wet grasses.

"Oh...this is pointless!" she scoffs. There is absolutly nothing to gain here. No flaxseed. No cloud funnel mushrooms. No peonies or columbines. Ann misses Kvatch at that moment. She's so homesick as she walks (crying yet again), she doesn't realize it when...

"Psst..you. Yeah you! C'mere! I've got what you need!"

It's a figure wearing a black hood. Ann immediately mistrusts him. Why is he standing out here all by himself?

She steels herself for a fight, but the man does not raise his blade.

"They call me Shady Sam. You need something...special? Check out my wares! You will not find any of this stuff at your local general store, that's for damn sure". he says.

He's got something 'special', alright. Mostly poisons. And lockpicks. And skooma.

Skooma. It's something Ann had had the pleasure of trying just a few times in her life. The feeling was incredible, but lasted just a short time before it was all over. And as it left the body, Ann could remember feeling as if the world had come to an end.

"Um...mayhap not, sir Sam. I have not the coin anyways".

All of his 'special' stuff is way too pricey for Ann to afford, she notices, even if she tried to bargain for it. As Ann starts to walk away, and Shady Sam closes his 'special' black case, he says..

"Come see me any time. I'm here day and night".

Ann says nothing. Skooma may be quite the drug, but it is also illegal. Ann thinks of reporting Sam, but then changes her mind immediately. What would the point be? If they were barely able to address the current situation of Cyrodiil, its roads and daedra attacks, what would the point be in reporting a skooma-seller?

"City guards prob'ly will not heed him any mind, any-ways".

Ann leaves him now, feeling dejected. She's not finding anything to sell. Not out here. The sky gets dark, and the rain keeps falling.

But just moments later, she comes upon a group of horses. It's Chestnut Handy Stables! She feels better at once just seeing them all, and goes to pet a fine bay horse. And this time, the stable-hand (Restita) does not come rushing over; she merely stays under cover holding a torch, probably due to the rain.

Ann walks over to Restita to have a chat, but as she does so, she realizes it's not Restita. It's that mean Imperial: Brielus Gawey.

"Oh. How fares thee, sir?" she asks, trying to sound cheerful despite the rain.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering ...umm....where's your mate? Restita?" she asks this because she has no idea what to say to the man. She'd rather not speak to him at all, but of course, it's too late for that now, isn't it?

Ann is not surprised when Brielus merely tells her the Fighter's Guild "is recruiting again". As he speaks his diatribe, Ann holds her temper in check. There is no Fighter's Guild in the Imperial City, so why is everyone dispensing this lame advice?

.... Brielus also then mentions something about "orcs and horses" again.

Orcs and horses. What of this?

It's rainy. It is dark. It is just like the day Ann Thraxx first stepped foot off that carriage to make her way to the Waterfront. As she tries the door to Chestnut Handy Stables, she finds it is unlocked.

She steps inside to get out of the rain, and maybe have a chat with whoever runs the place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Jan 3 2020, 05:50 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 27 2012, 02:44 AM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

So Ann is off to do what she knows best. Probably a good start. Besides, she might find some flax.

No. That guard had confused his words. He had said Eight Divines. Eight. Not Nine. But then the man off-stage had corrected the the terrible actor with the correct number of Divines.
I have heard that goof in is in the game, but I have never heard it.

Poor Ann. Being stuck in a world where the only people to talk to are NPCs. That is a fate worse than death I think! biggrin.gif

"I was wondering ...umm....where's your mate? Restita?"
Maybe one of the horses ate her? laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 27 2012, 03:20 AM
Post #49

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 26 2012, 09:44 PM) *

I have heard that goof in is in the game, but I have never heard it.

Oh. I've never heard it either. Interesting. That's a detail that just sort of came about in Ann story.

Poor Ann. Being stuck in a world where the only people to talk to are NPCs. That is a fate worse than death I think! biggrin.gif

I know, right? laugh.gif Still, I'd rather listen to them ramble about mudcrabs than get killed by one! I would wind up being one of those wimps who just lives in the city all her life, if I were a Cyrodiilite.
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 27 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

Red and Black=Thing 1 and Thing II? Peculiarly awesome!

"Skooma may be quite the drug, but it is also illegal. Ann thinks of reporting Sam, but then changes her mind immediately."
Snitch! Just kidding. Sam is a good guy, cut him some slack.

The Empire..bah! Just how long would "the Empire" live?
Not long, apparently. Until the Fourth Era.

I must confess, I totally dig the story going on! Though I admit that the font is a tad bit distracting, no offense, of course. The flow and pace of the story is fine, better than mine at times. You have talent for this, Ms. Saga.

--------------------
And yet I am, and liveā€”like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass belowā€”above the vaulted sky.ā€¯
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 28 2012, 03:56 AM
Post #51

Mouth
Group Icon

I appreciate your honesty, DE, and yea, I know it's distracting. I'll change it when I have some free time. I just like being different, I guess. We all grew up with black ink on white paper, in pretty much every book we read. I like mixing this up. But I know what you mean.

Anyways, thanks. It's really hard writing stories like this. I get a cramp every time I come here, to be honest. But I pretty much have to keep writing Ann's tale; it's going to be too good to just blow off.
+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 28 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #52

Evoker

I loved these latest updates!

I hardly have any time at the moment to read or even write, but when it comes to Ann I will make time tongue.gif haha

I loved the way you poke fun at the sillyness of NPC conversations, especially your comment about the guards change of subject. But the way you write makes it seem acceptanle that the conversations make no sense. LOL

I loved the whole dream sequence, and again I loved your subtle comments on how static NPC conversations are. I don't know whether that was intentional, but I loved it.

SHADY SAM!! WOOP! He is so shady with his shadyness. Gotta hand it to him though, he is a dedicated little man with him being there all day and all night! Jessika can barely stand in one place for five minutes!!
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 28 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #53

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Andrea @ May 28 2012, 12:54 PM) *

I loved these latest updates!

I hardly have any time at the moment to read or even write....

Ahh that sucks. Thanks, though, for the kind words.

I loved the whole dream sequence, and again I loved your subtle comments on how static NPC conversations are. I don't know whether that was intentional, but I loved it.

The dream sequences have some hidden meanings in them, for those who want to try and decipher. I won't spoil or confirm anything yet, though.

It's interesting how the subconsicous mind works. This particular story has already been "told" to me, more or less, from actual dreams and half-awake moments, and I've been trying to incorporate these dreams and visions into Ann's story. You'll see what i mean if you don't yet already.

Jessika can barely stand in one place for five minutes!!

I miss Jess. And her sis. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: May 28 2012, 07:38 PM
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 29 2012, 03:25 AM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ May 28 2012, 03:56 AM) *

I appreciate your honesty, DE, and yea, I know it's distracting. I'll change it when I have some free time. I just like being different, I guess. We all grew up with black ink on white paper, in pretty much every book we read. I like mixing this up. But I know what you mean.

Anyways, thanks. It's really hard writing stories like this. I get a cramp every time I come here, to be honest. But I pretty much have to keep writing Ann's tale; it's going to be too good to just blow off.

Don't worry too much about it. Change it when you can. I understand the uniqueness though. And props for being different! It was just a personal opinions anyways.

Haha, I trust it will be great. We look forward to seeing more of Ann. We won't go anywhere though, so you can post once and awhile. I always thought with a larger number of updates, it can ward off readers! I am accused of this.

--------------------
And yet I am, and liveā€”like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass belowā€”above the vaulted sky.ā€¯
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jul 3 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #55

Mouth
Group Icon

@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--
@-}--

Chapter XIV

Numbness. .........

Cool. ...........

and also dark.

Ann Thraxx awakes to darkness.

The darkness. It is dark in here ... and also far away. It feels actually good in a way. Quiet. And therefore peaceful. As she rises up off her bedroll, Ann thinks about escape. To be here .... to escape. She has [i]escaped

Even though I am in this cool, dark, stoney room....I have escaped....

This was one of Ann's last thoughts, actually, before she completely lost her sanity. ...that this place, as dreadful as it is, is also a blessing in disguise. It is a blessing in disguise ... just being here. Sitting here. Where nobody can bother her. Where the world outside seems to not even exist.

...she could let her mind roam now. faraway if she desired. and so she did. let her mind escape. let it go to places she had only seen before in dreams. it's so easy here...[/i]

It seemed as if she had been here a very long time. It seemed so. And could be. But it was hard to tell. The day and the sunlight? It seemed a long time since Ann had seen either day or sunlight. Therefore it would be impossible to gauge how long she had been here .

She tries to visualize the sun. A hanging orb of fire, high up in the sky. She tries to see it, and has trouble remembering for awhile. But this is okay. Where she is, there is apparently lots of time to pass away.

She sits in semi-darkness. And lets her mind roam.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ann sits in a darkened room. Watching a spider. She watches it dangle downwards from an invisible thread. Ann knows the thread is there, even though it cannot be seen.

At some point, the spider stops dead in mid-air. And now climbs up the invisible strand of thread to some unforseen point, where it now starts walking to upwards and to the left.

As Ann watches the spider, she wonders if it is aware of her presence. After building its web (she watched it for a long time) the spider then stopped, a small silver being with multiple eyes.

And looks into those eyes, wondering if the spider is also looking back at her.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Jul 4 2012, 12:33 AM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 4 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

A wonderful episode! Very dark and brooding. The last part about the spider was especially well done. Like the abyss, does it also gaze back into her?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jul 4 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #57

Mouth
Group Icon

.... several days earlier ......

Heartfire 6, 3rd Era, Year 433, 6:50 am

It's dark and rainy. Ann has been standing outside Chestnut Handy Stables all night. With nothing better to do, she had been waiting for a chance to have a word with the owner of the place. Or steward. Or whoever runs the show here.

"When exactly dos't Chestnut Handy open, me lady?" Ann asks.

"Anytime now..."says Restita in response.

She looks off to the west. And up above. The clouds are dark today. Dark and ominous. And it's one of those days during which looks as if the entire day will be just like this. Dark, rainy and ominous.

Ann feels a certain dread. She's here for a job, you see. A job tending to the horses. Once again, she feels it might help her cause to be amongst them, and officially have something to do to keep her mind away from her past.

Daydreaming for awhile, Ann looks away from the clouds, the rain upon her face streaming away. Her clothes are soaked, but this is okay. One of the tenets for holding a job as a stablehand, after all, is the ability to work in all types of outdoor weather. Is she qualified for such a task? Certainly so.

As she now steps back under the awning, she notices Restita is gone. Probably off to tend to her small herd. Ann smiles. She smiles at the thought that possibly she too might join Restita, helping her with those gentle beasts.

She and Restita would become friends. Ann senses this could happen. They would become friends, and it would be one of those friendships which would last a long time. This makes Ann smile; visualizing herself with Restita, the two of them playing together, perhaps. And hey, maybe even she and Brelus would find themselves in pleasant company as well. Brelus is a grouchy man, Ann thinks, but stranger things could happen.

Ann tries the door to the stablehouse, and finds it is unlocked.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cozy and dark, this place is. She sees several bedrolls. Cabinets. A table. Some chairs. Typical Cyrodiilic quarters for the lower-class, for sure.

Ann notices all this as she walks in. ... And there's a figure sitting upon the chair, a figure eating bread.

She walks up, and suddenly freezes.

...smack smack smack .... gulp ...

"I'M WAITING!"

says the orc, Snak gro-Bura. Is this the owner of Chestnut Handy? Ann thinks. Is this the one she's supposed to speak to?

As Ann musters up all her courage, she suddenly falters. And stares. she stares at what seems to be an entire spitoon foaming up around the orc's mouth. An orc eating. Orcs haven't got the same mannerisms as humans and elves do, Ann thinks.

She tries not to grab her stomach in revulsion. Put it to rest dear! she can hear her dead Marcus saying in her head...just do not focus upon such things. And do'st thou job! ....Easy as pie!

Everything always came so easy to Marcus. But now, Marcus is not here.

"Um...I am Ann. Ann Thraxx. Of Kvatch. I am here about your horses. Might I take some of thou'st time, um.....stable-orc?" Ann says, feeling dreadfully frightened.

Unlike humans and typical elves, orcs had a habit of losing tempers very quickly, and unapologetically. In the "melting pot" that Cyrodiil had become over the past few centuries, all races had merged, as well as a few species here and there. The orc? Well, let's just say the orc is the one who seemed most like an "orc", and had not become as "Cyrodiilized" as other races.

"The Chestnut Handy Stables used to sell horses. But now they're gone. All gone. Yep. They're gone. URRRP"

"GONE? What dos't thou mean 'gone'?"

Ann suddenly looks to what she thought was bread, and sees it's actually a very dark selection of meat.

Dark meat.

No bread

And an orc.

Suddenly, it all makes sense. Ann can barely ask the question she's meaning to ask, but she also has to ask it.

"Are you....are you eating them? You are! You are eating the horses!"

"I almost walked into that one. Of course not! That would be wrong! Orcs don't eat horses!"

"But... but you DO! You HAVE BEEN. You HAVE BEEN EATING HORSES.". Ann suddenly explodes.

The thought is difficult to comprehend!

"Enough talk." says Snak. Snak! What a fitting name...

"I...I ...." Ann stammers...

...before she knows it, she's landed a blow

"OOH!! HELLP!!! SOMEBODY HELP!!!!"

"You WILL.... NOT ...EAT MY HORSES!!!!!'

...each syllable placed with a blow from Ann's fist, as the orc now reciprocated!

"YOU! ...you DISGUSTING PIG! ....I SHALL TELL THE GUARDS WHAT YOU ARE UP TO!" Ann screams!

It alll happens so fast! Ann lands a right hook! Then a left! Then another right! Fighting this AWFUL orc just as she had seen unarmed fighters doing back in Kvatch's Fighter's Guild!

Suddenly another figure burst into the rooom....

"Break the law on MY WATCH will ya?"

it's an Imperial Guard, here to take control....

"I'll be confiscating your stolen goods...OH! And no gold to pay your fine, hmm? It's off to the lockup then!"

"But SHE HAS BEEN EATING THE HORSES! ARREST THE ORC! IT IS THE ORC WHO HAS BEEN EATING THE HORSES!"

Ann's world suddenly turns upside down. The guard, who (as trained) had been so concillatory a moment ago now drew his sword...

"THEN PAY WITH YOUR BLOOD!"

"What...WHAT?

As the guard draws his sword, it's not Snak he's after, it is Ann

"But.... NO!"

Fearing for her life, some sort of survival code now takes over. Ann rushes out the door. Runs to the north of the building, where Restita is also coming for a row.

"NO!!! I didn't mean...it's the ORC!! IT is the ORC you want, not ME!"

"HUah!!!!"

As the guard takes a deftly quick swing, Ann's back exploeds with pain.

"AHHH!!"

It hurts so bad! Wow, it hurts! Ann has no choice now but to run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
She runs back the way she came! Runs and runs and runs, just as shd did several days (weeks?) ago when Kvatch was overrun. When she gets back to the Market District area, she realizes she is safe. No guard is back there. No angry horseflesh-eating orc, either. But she feels weak; as if half her health is now gone.

She's shivering and shaking. Crying and upset. And she has not a choice in the world.

Heartfire 7, 11:18 am

As Ann walks up to a guard, she blurts out.

"I am guilty. And I can-not bear the burden of such a guilt. Please taketh me to jail".

Ann says this because she had been raised as such. Do NOT steal. Do NOT commit assaults upon your fellow, even if such a fellow a bloody orc. She cannot comprehend how that bloody orc can get away with her misgrievances, and not have to do jail time. But this is no reason for Ann to run.

"Well now...what have we here? Caught in the act and no gold to pay your fine. I'll be taking your stolen goods. Now come along peacefully, or I'll have to get ... nasty."

Feeling lower than some of the mushrooms she had picked recently (and sold to Thoronir), Ann gives in. She must. She has no other choice.

"Serve your time peacefully, and pay your debt to society", says the guard with a gleam of honor in his eye.

------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point, the spider had started to move again. Ann's mind had been drifting, and she had missed when this seemingly undramatic moment had occured.

As Ann watches the spider, she seems to emit absolutely nothing to the outside world, as a flame which has recently died no longer casts its vital light to those who might witness.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Jan 3 2020, 05:34 PM
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jul 4 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #58

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 3 2012, 07:11 PM) *

A wonderful episode! Very dark and brooding. The last part about the spider was especially well done. Like the abyss, does it also gaze back into her?

...keep reading, dear. You caught me in between posts, I'm afraid. smile.gif
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 4 2012, 12:37 AM
Post #59

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh noes! Snak has been snacking on the horses! Or has he? Ann has done it now. She is off to prison. Now I see what the previous post was about. I love the final line of this new segment. It really brings home the true depth of Ann's loneliness and isolation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 3 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

Hi, it's me, Renee. I originally used the Lady Saga name back when I joined this site, but it eventually began to bug me, because Lady Saga is one of my characters, and I am definitely not her!

Anyway, I wanted to provide some closure to this tale, which I started on a Sunday in February of 2012. I was totally depressed when I created and began gaming with her, for whatever reason. Gaming with Ann, and writing while doing so maybe helped alleviate some of this.

Looking back on it, some of this tale makes me cringe! I was writing in present tense, because everything which happened, happened while I was actually gaming with her. I had a similar approach later on while gaming / writing with Kahreem. But overall, gosh, I find some of this hard to read. The ideas are great, but some of my execution of those ideas make me want to go back and heavily edit!

Despite this, I wanted to continue to write Ann's tale at some point, but the Playstation which I was gaming on (which had all of Ann's saves) eventually went kaput. Her game is therefore gone, and so I have no qualms now about spoiling the end of her story.

Ann's sanity would have continued to erode, especially after getting out of jail. She'd eventually head back to Kvatch, convinced it would be safe to go back there. Upon her arrival she would be unable to see the horrible siege engine + all those daedra. Instead, she'd be seeing Kvatch as it originally was. Serene and busy with commerce. Fields of flowers and mushrooms all around the town's walls, intact trees, and so on. Returning to Kvatch would be a death sentence basically, but she would not be able to know this until it was too late.

The nine roses which she kept seeing in her visions had something to do with the Nine Divines, and I'm sure there were other hidden meanings going on. But I am glad to say, here's another Renee story which has come to ...

THE END

Thanks to all who supported, encouraged, critiqued, and even scoffed at my earliest effort at writing a character's tale.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 3 2020, 05:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:35 PM