7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout76, Um... yeah.
Lopov
post May 17 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #121

Master
Group Icon

If I were single and without children, I'd try it out for sure, I'd probably even buy it. laugh.gif Now it doesn't make too much sense to get it, because I know that with another child on the way, my gaming time will decrease, not increase.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 20 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #122

Mouth
Group Icon

Unfortunately, I just didn't get around to trying out the free play weekend. I still got a bit of time to buy it on discount and I probably will, but I want to make sure I actually plan on playing it right away in case I want to refund it.

--------------------
"Be resolute, fear no sacrifice, and surmount every difficulty to win victory." - Frandar Hunding, The Elder Scrolls

"They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard." - Fantastic, Fallout: New Vegas
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 23 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #123

Mouth
Group Icon

I bought the game about 6 minutes before the sale ended and finally tried it out this morning. It was about maybe an hour so that isn't much to go by, but here are some of my early impressions.
  • While I am not one to spend painstaking amounts of time tweaking every minute detail of my character, I still like having the option for it. When it comes to the body of your character, the character customization is pretty lacking. The only body customization is the thin/muscular/fat triangle. It's not like, for example, ESO where you can do all sorts of things to so many parts of the body.
  • While I am not one to spend painstaking amounts of time tweaking every minute detail of my character, I still like having the option for it. When it comes to the body of your character, the character customization is pretty lacking. The only body customization is the thin/muscular/fat triangle. It's not like, for example, ESO where you can do all sorts of things to so many parts of the body.
  • On the other hand, something that is pretty cool is that you can change a lot about your appearance at any time after you leave Vault 76. So for role-playing purposes, you could add a couple scars to your character to indicate that they had been in a tough fight or remove scars to signify healing over time. It's not something I really thought of before, but I really like the addition even though I probably will use it little if ever. There is also a pretty good amount of facial customization when you create your character.
  • It's somewhat of a minor issue, but some menu controls are kind of unintuitive. To get to the main menu, you first press ESC as usual, but that takes you to your map. THEN you press Z or click on "Menu" in the top-left corner. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.
  • Fallout 76 seems to be better optimized than Fallout 4, the latter of which sometimes has FPS slowdowns in places it really shouldn't have had. My computer isn't some Uber l33t G4mer Pro beast, but it shouldn't have had many problems in that regard with Fallout 4. It's more understandable with 76 since it is about a year or so newer than my laptop. But I digress.
  • I don't like the aesthetics of the map, but that is a minor gripe. It's a little too...cartoony, for lack of a better word, for my taste. It doesn't need to look like it is on the Pip-Boy and I'm perfectly fine with adding some flavor to it, but whatever. Maybe it'll grow on me, though: I've barely explored the map so far.
  • While I think Fallout 4's dialogue wheel could've been improved, I think it is for the better that the dialogue system is back to being more like Fallout 3's, though so far I haven't found too different of options in dialogue (e.g. "good," "neutral," "jerk"). I'm sure it'll be different as I go along.
  • One (possible) step back regarding dialogue, though--although I've only been in two conversations that apply to this--is that dialogue with multiple NPCs is stilted when the NPCs talk to each other. When I say stilted, I mean there can be a longer pause between two different NPCs talking to each other than there should be. Fallout 4 did an excellent job in this regard, from what I remember. I add the "possible" caveat in case this isn't actually the case throughout the game.
  • I like the addition of needing food and water to survive and it doesn't seem to be obnoxious. It's hard to strike a good balance between obnoxious and trivial for survival mechanics, so it likes it'll be good here.
  • There's a bit of a delay whenever I click to pick up or interact with something, which can get annoying. On the other hand, a cool addition they have is that, if you hold E, you can use certain items right away. Stimpak or Radaway sitting on a table? You can use it immediately instead of putting it in your inventory and finding it or even having to go through a hotkey. Particularly nice for schematics that you pick up.
Some other things I have barely been able to get into like using the C.A.M.P.--which is the analog to Fallout's 4 settlement workbenches, but you can shift where you place the C.A.M.P. for just 5 caps--and perk trees. Thus, I don't think there is nearly enough for anyone here to go by to see if they would like the game. But I'm hopeful. We'll have to see where this goes from here.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: May 23 2020, 10:40 PM

--------------------
"Be resolute, fear no sacrifice, and surmount every difficulty to win victory." - Frandar Hunding, The Elder Scrolls

"They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard." - Fantastic, Fallout: New Vegas
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 24 2020, 12:34 AM
Post #124

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 23 2020, 05:37 PM) *

I bought the game about 6 minutes before the sale ended and finally tried it out this morning. It was about maybe an hour so that isn't much to go by, but here are some of my early impressions.
  • On the other hand, something that is pretty cool is that you can change a lot about your appearance at any time after you leave Vault 76. So for role-playing purposes, you could add a couple scars to your character to indicate that they had been in a tough fight or remove scars to signify healing over time. It's not something I really thought of before, but I really like the addition even though I probably will use it little if ever. There is also a pretty good amount of facial customization when you create your character.
  • It's somewhat of a minor issue, but some menu controls are kind of unintuitive. To get to the main menu, you first press ESC as usual, but that takes you to your map. THEN you press Z or click on "Menu" in the top-left corner. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.
  • Fallout 76 seems to be better optimized than Fallout 4, the latter of which sometimes has FPS slowdowns in places it really shouldn't have had. My computer isn't some Uber l33t G4mer Pro beast, but it shouldn't have had many problems in that regard with Fallout 4. It's more understandable with 76 since it is about a year or so newer than my laptop. But I digress.
  • I don't like the aesthetics of the map, but that is a minor gripe. It's a little too...cartoony, for lack of a better word, for my taste. It doesn't need to look like it is on the Pip-Boy and I'm perfectly fine with adding some flavor to it, but whatever. Maybe it'll grow on me, though: I've barely explored the map so far.
  • While I think Fallout 4's dialogue wheel could've been improved, I think it is for the better that the dialogue system is back to being more like Fallout 3's, though so far I haven't found too different of options in dialogue (e.g. "good," "neutral," "jerk"). I'm sure it'll be different as I go along.
  • One (possible) step back regarding dialogue, though--although I've only been in two conversations that apply to this--is that dialogue with multiple NPCs is stilted when the NPCs talk to each other. When I say stilted, I mean there can be a longer pause between two different NPCs talking to each other than there should be. Fallout 4 did an excellent job in this regard, from what I remember. I add the "possible" caveat in case this isn't actually the case throughout the game.
  • I like the addition of needing food and water to survive and it doesn't seem to be obnoxious. It's hard to strike a good balance between obnoxious and trivial for survival mechanics, so it likes it'll be good here.
  • There's a bit of a delay whenever I click to pick up or interact with something, which can get annoying. On the other hand, a cool addition they have is that, if you hold E, you can use certain items right away. Stimpak or Radaway sitting on a table? You can use it immediately instead of putting it in your inventory and finding it or even having to go through a hotkey. Particularly nice for schematics that you pick up.
Some other things I have barely been able to get into like using the C.A.M.P.--which is the analog to Fallout's 4 settlement workbenches, but you can shift where you place the C.A.M.P. for just 5 caps--and perk trees. Thus, I don't think there is nearly enough for anyone here to go by to see if they would like the game. But I'm hopeful. We'll have to see where this goes from here.

I have always hated the Fallout maps; they are all horribly unreadable to me.

On the NPC's conversations = All that was just added to the game recently; so I do have hope they will improve that.

Thank you for the review of the game; I have really been wondering = but still holding out. I didn't buy it this sale; but probably will eventually. On the "Camp" = watch Juggernaut's Fallout 76 vids on building camps; he is amazing! I used his tips in Fallout 4; they made a huge difference in my settlements.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 24 2020, 12:35 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post May 24 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #125

Councilor
Group Icon

One of my biggest hopes for 76 was that eventually they would create single player content, and have private worlds where you can play without other players around. I got annoyed the other day when I noticed that the private worlds are only going to be accessible by paying for a subscription (Fallout First). Maybe I’m not fully understanding it so someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but paying extra for an after thought single player experience? If that’s the case then it definitely looks like 76 will never be for me.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 24 2020, 02:26 PM
Post #126

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 24 2020, 08:38 AM) *

One of my biggest hopes for 76 was that eventually they would create single player content, and have private worlds where you can play without other players around. I got annoyed the other day when I noticed that the private worlds are only going to be accessible by paying for a subscription (Fallout First). Maybe I’m not fully understanding it so someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but paying extra for an after thought single player experience? If that’s the case then it definitely looks like 76 will never be for me.

Yes, that is one of the things I like about the way ESO was done = Players can't attack you anywhere but in Cyrodiil; and you can set your game to automatically decline any duel invites anywhere else. You have to actually seek PvP if you want it. Plus = in ESO other Players can't bother your houses.

I don't know if it is true or not; but I have heard that other Players can actually destroy your "camps" in 76; and that they can gang up and harass another Player (although from what I've seen; they do get banned for doing that).

But = from what I've heard; they only allow something like 20 players on each instance of the game; so at least they can't come at you in a horde or zerg, lol. I am pretty sure that it is exactly how World of Warcraft did it too; (back when my son played it years ago). They had 20 person "parties" if I remember correctly.

I will really be interested in hearing Rader's thoughts on this game to be able to really decide if I want to try it or not.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 24 2020, 02:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 24 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #127

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ May 23 2020, 07:34 PM) *

I have always hated the Fallout maps; they are all horribly unreadable to me.

On the NPC's conversations = All that was just added to the game recently; so I do have hope they will improve that.

Thank you for the review of the game; I have really been wondering = but still holding out. I didn't buy it this sale; but probably will eventually. On the "Camp" = watch Juggernaut's Fallout 76 vids on building camps; he is amazing! I used his tips in Fallout 4; they made a huge difference in my settlements.

Well, I really wouldn't call it a review yet, but I think there is a good chance I'll like it.

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 24 2020, 08:38 AM) *

A lot of content IS single player, though, both from what I have heard and what I have played. It's sort of like ESO in that sense. There's only 25 people per world and even in the two times I encountered someone, they quickly were gone.

Well, I mean, to an extent I get having to pay a subscription in order to get the private servers. But overall, I feel ambivalent about it. On one hand, it is kind of lame and feels more like just another way to get money out of players after all the nonsense that had been going on before then, and I'm not sure that it is worth THAT much money to get a private server. On the other hand, I imagine keeping up that many servers ain't cheap, there are few players per world in the first place, and they don't necessarily HAVE to have private servers available for an MMO.

If I enjoy it enough and I play it enough, I'll consider getting a private server that we can all play on. (Who knows, if enough of us play there could be a way to split the cost of the server.) If so, maybe you'll think about trying it out as well, although obviously you'd have to decide whether to drop money to get the game in the first place.

QUOTE(mALX @ May 24 2020, 09:26 AM) *

Yes, that is one of the things I like about the way ESO was done = Players can't attack you anywhere but in Cyrodiil; and you can set your game to automatically decline any duel invites anywhere else. You have to actually seek PvP if you want it. Plus = in ESO other Players can't bother your houses.

I don't know if it is true or not; but I have heard that other Players can actually destroy your "camps" in 76; and that they can gang up and harass another Player (although from what I've seen; they do get banned for doing that).

But = from what I've heard; they only allow something like 20 players on each instance of the game; so at least they can't come at you in a horde or zerg, lol. I am pretty sure that it is exactly how World of Warcraft did it too; (back when my son played it years ago). They had 20 person "parties" if I remember correctly.

I will really be interested in hearing Rader's thoughts on this game to be able to really decide if I want to try it or not.

From what I understand, players now cannot hurt you at all unless you attack back. Or maybe it was that you both have to agree to a duel like in ESO. I did get a message once that said my workshop was under attack, but I saw absolutely nobody there and I barely had anything up anyway.

Yes, it is only 25 people per world. You can actually see them on your maps as little dots, although I don't know if you can change that in settings or change your own visibility. That's a good decision on their part, not just because of potential griefing and trolling but because too many players would be detrimental to the atmosphere of a Fallout game.

Well, I also have to keep in mind that the kind of things I'm looking for in the game are not going to all be the same kind of things that others are looking for, so I'm trying to give an honest chance from what I think others' perspectives will be. I think I'm going to like the game, but I'll need to play more before I can decide whether anyone else here will want to play it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Renee
post May 25 2020, 11:44 PM
Post #128

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, thanks for your honest assessment, Rader. smile.gif You really went into detail about a lot of things I like to pay attention to, such as character customization. Still waiting to hear what NPC combat is like. But your few instances with other players don't sound too bad.

I've read all sorts of things about 76 in the new forums up until this past winter: good things and bad. I haven't been keeping up these past few months, though I do remember reading about players invading other player camps. Overall, this is rather rare. And invaders do get banned, as long as they are reported. Most folks seemed respectful, though.

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Post #129

Mouth
Group Icon

Glad you mentioned combat, Renee, because that is one of my next critiques.
  • Sometimes, NPCs in combat are insanely stupid. Like, absolute buffoons. Granted, I've really only fought low-level enemies, this has mostly applied to feral ghouls and the Scorched, and my light armor and lightning may factor in too. But there have been too many times where enemies should absolutely notice me but react slowly. On the other hand, Scorched have demonstrated a pretty decent capability of taking cover. Also haven't had much challenge in fights, but like I said, it's still early on and these have mostly been low-level enemies.
  • Equipment degradation is back. Fallout 3's and perhaps more so New Vegas's systems often became more of a chore than an interesting mechanic, but so far I like how 76 has handled it. It's not obnoxious or tedious but it's not superfluous either. It adds to the survival feel. Whether that holds up at higher levels I don't know, but right now I like it.
  • Crafting: There's actually good reason to use it! I found it pretty useless in New Vegas and 4, as you could find pretty much all you needed by adventuring or possibly just buying them if you really had to. Careful about food, though, because it can spoil in your inventory is you go too long with it.
  • For all Bethesda's flaws, they excel at making exploration fun and having interesting side stories, especially through environmental storytelling. 76 is no different. I won't go into too much detail, but one example is a aide quest involving college students making a new drink called NukaShine just before the Great War, which mixes Quantum with some extra stuff including a "special" secret ingredient that you must discover. It also features an amusing, drunk Robobrain named Biv. E. Ridge and he sounds far different than any Robobrain you have heard before.
  • i have only explored a small fraction of Appalachia, but what I have seen is gorgeous. Obviously, yes, graphics are part of it, but it's more than that. Design goes beyond just pretty pixels. And West Virginia may be my favorite Bethesda-designed environment yet.
  • The main story so for is pretty meh. Not bad, but not that interesting, at least not yet. But FWIW, it arguably nudges you less to do it than the main quest for 3 or 4, if that is important to you.
  • I'm not sure what I think of the perk system yet. I'll discuss it more later.
  • Radaway and chems weigh a bit more than in Fallout 4 and now Simpaks have weight. I think that is a great choice for a Fallout MMO so you don't stockpile them. And I honestly probably wouldn't mind if they did it for the next singleplayer Fallout either. You can take some perks to reduce their weight, though.
  • I've put a total of about 5 minutes into my C.A.M.P. so I can't tell you much, but I can tell you that, similarly to ESO, you now have to find plans to learn before making a C.A.M.P., although there will be a few plans you know right off the bat. I think this is another improvement overall.

Anybody who tells you it's just Fallout 4 multiplayer is lying and giving you a falae impression, or they somehow forgot how 4 works. Sure, there are a bunch of similarities, but I've already encountered quite a bunch of key differences already. That said, if you do like Fallout 4 there is a good chance you will like 76. Even if you didn't like 4, 76 is different enough that you might like it still.

---‐-------------‐----‐‐-------------------

Overall, I've enjoyed my 11 or so hours of playing the game and I am optimistic about the rest of the game. But I'm still not sure how much I would recommend it to the ladies and gents here at Chorrol. I do have a sense of what you all like, but it would help my decisions in that regard if you all give some criteria that you are looking for. What are the most important things for you in a Fallout game (e.g. lore, roleplaying, setting)? Please also try to be somewhat specific when possible, such as what you did and didn't like about 3/NV/4. If that makes sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Today, 12:51 AM
Post #130

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 26 2020, 04:18 PM) *
*snip*

Thank you for continuing to post your thoughts on 76 as you go along Rader. Can you go into a bit of detail about how building is implemented? Do the camps disappear if you exit the game?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Today, 04:47 PM
Post #131

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ May 26 2020, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 26 2020, 04:18 PM) *
*snip*

Thank you for continuing to post your thoughts on 76 as you go along Rader. Can you go into a bit of detail about how building is implemented? Do the camps disappear if you exit the game?

Ah, now the latter question of this I CAN answer. When you log back in and the game puts you in a world, you will get a prompt that tells you that your C.A.M.P. could not be placed and it will give you an option to either 1) stay in that world or 2) put you in a world where there is room for your C.A.M.P. where you last placed it.

You can also move the C.A.M.P. during gameplay. When you go into your map, you can see at the bottom-left of your screen the key to move your base (I think it was "z"). You have to pay a few caps to move it, but it is a meager amount. Not sure if it scales to your level, though, because I think it went up from 5 caps at the beginning to now 8 caps. Still, don't need to pay much.

I'll try to get into the building aspect more the next time I log on. Then I can better answer those questions.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Today, 04:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 05:42 PM