79 Pages V « < 50 51 52 53 54 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
Renee
post Aug 18 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #1021

Councilor
Group Icon

Decrepit: no it does not recognize the Oblivion disc at all. If I double-click on my OBSE shortcut it says "Insert the Oblivion Disc." mad.gif Same thing if I try to open the original non-OBSE Oblivion.exe launcher. My computer does not recognize any other discs I put into that drive. I already tried the Anthology Arena disc.

Khajiit: Yes I have thought of that too, just downloading the game. But wouldn't I have to restructure all those folders all over again? Would my computer still recognize all my original saves, and all the mods I've installed?

Overall, if the drive is bad, I'd rather just replace it. But I'm trying to see if it's the actual, physical drive first.

EDIT: and it's not the Oblivion disc. I have a second computer, and if I insert the disc into that one, it reads the disc fine.

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 18 2020, 03:10 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 18 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #1022

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 18 2020, 09:07 AM) *

Khajiit: Yes I have thought of that too, just downloading the game. But wouldn't I have to restructure all those folders all over again? Would my computer still recognize all my original saves, and all the mods I've installed?

Overall, if the drive is bad, I'd rather just replace it. But I'm trying to see if it's the actual, physical drive first.

EDIT: and it's not the Oblivion disc. I have a second computer, and if I insert the disc into that one, it reads the disc fine.

I think it would recognize the saves, but you’d probably have to copy over your old data folder or wherever you keep your mod data.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 18 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #1023

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 18 2020, 10:07 AM) *

Decrepit: no it does not recognize the Oblivion disc at all. If I double-click on my OBSE shortcut it says "Insert the Oblivion Disc." mad.gif Same thing if I try to open the original non-OBSE Oblivion.exe launcher. My computer does not recognize any other discs I put into that drive. I already tried the Anthology Arena disc.

If you cannot read any disc you put into the drive, then the drive is bad. Thankfully they are not that expensive, or difficult to replace. There are only 2 cables from the motherboard that plug into the back of the drive.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 19 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #1024

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome thank you. You probably just saved me some diagnosis time & money, Rosa.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 19 2020, 07:58 PM
Post #1025

Councilor
Group Icon

I have an idea. If it's possible to switch the good drive from my other computer over to the gaming computer, I might have a friend swap them. And then I'll know for sure it's the drive.

IF this is true, any suggestion for a good brand of disc drives?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 19 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #1026

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Aug 19 2020, 01:58 PM) *

I have an idea. If it's possible to switch the good drive from my other computer over to the gaming computer, I might have a friend swap them. And then I'll know for sure it's the drive.

IF this is true, any suggestion for a good brand of disc drives?

I thought about your swap idea earlier, then forgot to mention it here. It 'should' work so long as they both use the same connectors. I suppose there's a chance the problem is one of the drive's connection cables being loose or defective, but I'd be surprised if this were the case.

As to DVD drive brands, I'm at a loss. I generally don't keep track of such things until right before assembling a new system. I'll be surprised if you find much variety these days. PC bay DVD/CD drives are falling out of favor, since most software these days is downloaded or comes on a USB stick. Heck, a great number of newer computer cases no longer included those bays.

An external DVD drive might be an option if you can't find an appealing internal. (They connect via USB port, so far as I know.) But I've no experience with those whatsoever. (I don't expect you'll need to.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 19 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #1027

Ancient
Group Icon

@ Renee
If you need to buy a new DVD drive, here is the one I put in my machine:

Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST Black(user guide is included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/ref=cm...i_W4xpFbQJ416KT

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 19 2020, 09:27 PM
Post #1028

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 19 2020, 02:33 PM) *

@ Renee

Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST Black(user guide is included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/ref=cm...i_W4xpFbQJ416KT

Hmm...that might be the ASUS model in my primary PC. They certainly look identical.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 19 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #1029

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 19 2020, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 19 2020, 02:33 PM) *

@ Renee

Hmm...that might be the ASUS model in my primary PC. They certainly look identical.

It has good stars and it’s $20+change price tag makes it very appealing! biggrin.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Aug 19 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #1030

Master
Group Icon

I've demoted myself back down to console player sad.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 19 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #1031

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Aug 19 2020, 03:39 PM) *

Nothing wrong with that Reaps.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Aug 20 2020, 01:35 AM
Post #1032

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 19 2020, 04:41 PM) *

Nothing wrong with that Reaps.

But the waters of Mt. PC Olympus tasted like Ambrosia and I could look down upon the people T_T.

Lol.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 20 2020, 02:13 AM
Post #1033

Master
Group Icon

I ah... console myself... with my PS4... when PC gaming falls to give me happiness.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 20 2020, 02:44 AM
Post #1034

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Aug 19 2020, 08:13 PM) *

I ah... console myself... with my PS4... when PC gaming falls to give me happiness.

Same, Treydoggiedog. I’ll probably be playing my PS4 soon because I’m getting annoyed with trying to get Oblivion to cooperate with mods. dry.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 20 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #1035

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey, thanks for your info, Decrepit and Khajiit. I'll keep everyone posted. Asus is a brand I've heard of, so that's good.

Ain't nothing wrong with console gaming, in my opinion. I still game on console sometimes even though I have a fancy gaming computer with gleaming red LED lights! It's the simplicity of simply playing the game, rather than constantly tweaking / fixing it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Aug 21 2020, 09:09 PM
Post #1036

Master
Group Icon

I haven't owned a proper console since the 90s. I loathe controllers.

I also have trouble watching games on anything but the largest Tv's. Too expensive for me.

As for optical drives, ASUS is good. My PC case however doesn't even have the slot for one. Like, no case panel to pop out. They're nearing obsolescence and it's sad. My laptop doesn't even have one.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 23 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #1037

Master
Group Icon

Bah! Earlier today my primary PC keyboard decided to misbehave. Neither its SHIFT (either side) nor ENTER keys responded. A good shaking and vigorous use of canned air fixes it. Swapped it with the keyboard on my third PC (which hasn't been turned on in several years). Yes, it works fine. Problem is, I swear by ergonomic keyboards. The substitute keyboard is only partially ergonomic. It lacks both a separation-space dividing the letter keys in two sections and a slope toward the middle. As a result, it hurts to type with it. I decided to restore the better keyboard and make do without SHIFT and ENTER until buying a replacement. Then, while typing a report of my dilemma here, the "o" and "p" keys stopped working. At that point there was nothing for it but to again use the substitute. That' where things stand now.

In a normal world, I'd swing by Best Buy during tomorrow's grocery / medical appointment run for a replacement. Only, our Best Buy suffered a direct hit during this April's tornado. There used to be an office-supply store near the place my brother works. Whether it's still there I've no idea. I do recall that its prices were high. I can of course order off Amazon / NewEgg, but would rather type on this substitute as little as possible. It's quite unpleasant.

Another issue, my MS keyboard model is no longer available. Ergonomics, for some reason, aren't as popular as they once were. Options are few. I'll likely buy Microsoft's 'replacement' for my model, though I don't like its layout as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 24 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #1038

Master
Group Icon

Well poot! Following this morning's medical appointment, before heading to Walmart, I stopped at Office Max to check their computer keyboard selection. Nowadays they carry only Logitech, it seems. They stock one full ergonomic. The darn thing is $130US!!!!! Too bad, if not beyond my budget I might have bought it. While I Walmart I realized I ought to check it its computer keyboard offering too. They stock two bottom-of-the-barrel Logitechs. No local purchase for me, not with Best Buy totaled.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 24 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #1039

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 24 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Well poot! Following this morning's medical appointment, before heading to Walmart, I stopped at Office Max to check their computer keyboard selection. Nowadays they carry only Logitech, it seems. They stock one full ergonomic. The darn thing is $130US!!!!! Too bad, if not beyond my budget I might have bought it. While I Walmart I realized I ought to check it its computer keyboard offering too. They stock two bottom-of-the-barrel Logitechs. No local purchase for me, not with Best Buy totaled.

Can you do Best Buy online?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 24 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #1040

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 24 2020, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 24 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Can you do Best Buy online?

I think so. But if I go that route (as I'll have to), I'll likely order off Amazon or NewEgg.

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 50 51 52 53 54 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:39 AM