Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The First Thing You Felt About Oblivion (or Morrowind), ... When you were a Newbie.
ureniashtram
post May 14 2011, 04:37 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

Title says it all. What was the first thing you felt about Oblivion(or Morrowind) after playing for the first time? For me, I was lost and amazed. The view, forests, lakes.. It was simply amazing that I broke 20 hours in my first playthrough.

Also made a couple of mistakes.

First, I mistook the Roxey Inn, THE ROXEY INN, for the goddamned Fighters Guild. Probably because there was a Legionnaire and the Breton and his crew. The Innkeeper giving out the bounty for the necromancer's head just about made a fool out of me.

AND, mistaking Bruma for Bravil. Ha! I also took the Atronach birtsign for an Orc, 'cuz it looked cool and all that stuff. Got turned into a vampire the second I entered Barren Cave.
---

How about you guys? What sort of newbie mischief did you make when playing OB or MW for the first time? List 'em all!

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 14 2011, 05:12 AM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Well the first thing I remember was being amazed and not sure where to go. I didn't know about the fast travel so I started going towards the arrow on my map. I ended up in the IC somehow and I attacked the first guard I saw "because I wanted his armor." After many reloads I finally killed a guard at level 1 (I didn't know anything about this "level up" business). Got his stuff and walked into town. Many reloads after that I started a new game. This character I spent all my time breaking into random houses in the IC "Because there surely is something valuable in one of these houses." A few hours later I found this was not the case; new character. Then I made a series of characters that did nothing but go into dungeons "because I'll surely find a valuable/powerful artifact." Not the case. And all of them were terrible characters. When I was choosing my class I found out how to make my own and made just terrible decisions. I remember making a wood elf that was supposed to wear heavy armor, shoot arrows, fight with a sword or axe, summon creatures, and cast destructive spells. It was a terrible character and he did not last long. My cousin finally made a character for me (it was his game and xbox) and I did pretty well with it. I was still killing guards and stealing anything that wasn't nailed down but the character worked. After a few hours with that character my cousin finally pointed out that I should level up.

Oblivion was my first RPG.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post May 15 2011, 03:43 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Unless one considers the Rainbow Six series an RPG (yeah, right) then Oblivion was my first RPG as well.

On the XBox, no less. I was so terrified through the entire tutorial dungeon, I remember how relieved I was when I finally stepped out onto the shore of Lake Rumare in the dusk. It was like a breeze of fresh air moved through the room when I saw the stars.

Then I was totally awed by how I could roam freely over this brave new world. No invisible walls or anything. I could walk into the water and end up swimming, or move underwater if I wanted to. The flexibility of movement within the game world was totally inspiring. But even more so was seeing how the grass and the leaves moved in the breeze, how the sky changed with every passing game hour.

I still remember my first sunrise in Tamriel. I just stopped and stared at it, my mouth open. It was so realistic!

And yes, I got totally lost trying to get to Weynon Priory. I thought that little northern bridge was the Great Bridge at Weye, and was totally confused as to where the inn and settlement were on the other side of the lake, until I realized uh, there's a compass, and uh, it's telling me I'm going north, and uh, I ought to be heading west and - oh, there's the quest arrow!

I know people complained that Cyrodiil was so small, but believe me, walking to Weynon Priory I couldn't get over how long it took!

And of course, seeing my first horse. Like the sunrise, I couldn't stop staring at this realistic clump of pixels and trying to figure out how to get one of those!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 19 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

I hadn’t played video games at all before Oblivion, and I’d only seen games like the COD series and Resident Evil played. So I had no idea what to expect. Or how to operate a controller. My first Oblivion character was a Nord woman, I think maybe a spellsword (I went with whatever Baurus suggested) born under the Lord, since I didn’t know that everyone gets a starter healing spell. I quickly went from astonished at how wide open and beautiful the world was to how shocked that everything wanted to kill us! The first real enemy we encountered was a group of goblins. Many fiery deaths resulted, until we learned how to run away. Very soon after the hill of goblin terror, we experienced the blinking red light of death on the PS3. Thus went my first character into the Dreamsleeve.

Then came Rowyn, the Imperial spellsword (thanks again, Baurus) who quickly shot up to about level twenty something. Main quest? Yeah, at that level it was difficult. Especially since I hadn’t quite mastered the controller. Then I read the manual, and things got better. Rowyn rocks, I don’t get to spend enough time with her. wub.gif

The funniest thing for me early on was when Rowyn blundered into the terrified Altmer on the road to Kvatch. At that point we didn’t really get what the main quest was about, and hadn’t discovered the map/compass. So the guy was like “Run for your lives!” and we did! laugh.gif Then when we finally got some distance away, it was “Holy crap Jauffre wants us to go to Kvatch?! Doesn’t he know there are daedra running all over the place there?!”

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 19 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

The first thing I felt about Oblivion was "Goddess, I will never be able to play this game!" Because my computer was so slow, it literally could not do the face generation, let alone actual gameplay. About 2 years later I gave it another go with a newer computer (I think it was a core2 duo at the time), and I thought, wow, now that I have a machine 2 generations ahead of the game, it actually works!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ceidwad
post May 20 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #6

Evoker

The first thing I felt was "Bugger me, this is scary." I was playing it on my friend's Xbox360, in the Imperial Prison dungeon. The graphics were so realistic, and the dungeon music incredibly atmospheric. I nearly crapped myself when the two (monstrously large) rats came leaping up at my character from the hole in the wall. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Ceidwad: May 20 2011, 11:28 PM
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 11:50 AM
Post #7

Agent

I felt both amazement and terror , i was so scared of dungeons , darkness , and wicked nasties

but i loved the rolling vineyards , the towns and the easy safe little quests.

Yes , i was 10 17 when i started playing.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 9 2013, 01:28 PM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

My first ES game was in fact Oblivion and it wasn´t like anything I´ve ever played before. I was completely amazed and absorbed by it! Coming from a linear, one-tracked game like Doom 3 I was relieved I could avoid fighting by hiding or running away. I could even get help from the guards! And best of all, no more stupid jump-scares! biggrin.gif

I loved everything about Oblivion, especially coming from regular FPS games and semi-RPGs like Deus Ex. You could buy and sell in real shops, explore wherever you wanted, steal, place bets in the arena or even participate yourself! The total freedom I was offered in the world of Cyrodiil quickly made the game my number one right beside Deus (or slightly above). Not to mention the serenity and calmness brought forth by the beautiful forests and incredible music happy.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Feb 9 2013, 01:29 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #9

Agent

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 9 2013, 12:28 PM) *

My first ES game was in fact Oblivion and it wasn´t like anything I´ve ever played before. I was completely amazed and absorbed by it! Coming from a linear, one-tracked game like Doom 3 I was relieved I could avoid fighting by hiding or running away. I could even get help from the guards! And best of all, no more stupid jump-scares! biggrin.gif

I loved everything about Oblivion, especially coming from regular FPS games and semi-RPGs like Deus Ex. You could buy and sell in real shops, explore wherever you wanted, steal, place bets in the arena or even participate yourself! The total freedom I was offered in the world of Cyrodiil quickly made the game my number one right beside Deus (or slightly above). Not to mention the serenity and calmness brought forth by the beautiful forests and incredible music happy.gif

what did you edit ? Just interested happy.gif

question : how far along did you create lorthan ?
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 9 2013, 09:31 PM
Post #10

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(flowerboom @ Feb 9 2013, 09:26 PM) *

Spelling mistakes smile.gif

What do you mean?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #11

Agent

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 9 2013, 08:31 PM) *

What do you mean?

Well , was he your very first character ? or was he a dozen along ? or maybe you made him a few years after purchasing OB

any other charcters you remember before lorthan ?

This post has been edited by flowerboom: Feb 9 2013, 09:34 PM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 9 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #12

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Lothran is my one and only ever Oblivion character. I haven´t even made a "practice character" many people do to figure out how the game works. I created Lothran and we have explored Cyrodiil together since Feb 2007 happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #13

Agent

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 9 2013, 08:37 PM) *

Lothran is my one and only ever Oblivion character. I haven´t even made a "practice character" many people do to figure out how the game works. I created Lothran and we have explored Cyrodiil together since Feb 2007 happy.gif

well WAM BAM !

are you serious! :0 not ONE OTHER?

but...dont you ...dont you think about playing other races ? females ? other types of people

does that mean you havnt done all of the guilds ? ohmy.gif

that is...mind blowing for me....now days i settle with chars because i have played OB so much now...but your very first?

you are a very special person! wub.gif

This post has been edited by flowerboom: Feb 9 2013, 09:41 PM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 9 2013, 09:57 PM
Post #14

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(flowerboom @ Feb 9 2013, 09:41 PM) *

well WAM BAM !

are you serious! :0 not ONE OTHER?

Nope smile.gif

but...dont you ...dont you think about playing other races ? females ? other types of people

I have indeed been tempted, but I just can´t leave Lothran like that. It´s not hard for me though to stick with him only. We´ve been through so much together and I think about our history every time I play happy.gif

does that mean you havnt done all of the guilds ? ohmy.gif

I´ve tried all except DB, but I haven´t finished any guild questline unless you count the arena. That´s not a guild though..

Many people say that to me. Not all in a warm way though tongue.gif

Thank you wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 10:04 PM
Post #15

Agent

[quote name='flowerboom' post='151600' date='Feb 9 2013, 09:41 PM']
[/quote]
Many people say that to me. Not all in a warm way though tongue.gif

Thank you wink.gif
[/quote]

wub.gif no problem wub.gif

Often , people forget that there is a person behind lorthan , they go to default setting : hows lorthan today ?

I never forget that somebody is behind his amazing creation.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 9 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #16

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Oh, I don´t know if he´s so amazing, but he is my buddy! happy.gif

If you ask me, Buffy, Baa and decrepit´s avatar are more amazing. They actually go out and do stuff! laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #17

Agent

nice brush off wink.gif

Although i do have a lot of appreciation for what you have managed , very few people can say that , its a real achivement!

But i still appreciate you rather than lorthan...just saying.... winksad.gif
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 9 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #18

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(flowerboom @ Feb 9 2013, 10:09 PM) *

nice brush off wink.gif

I´m so humble, ain´t I? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(flowerboom @ Feb 9 2013, 10:09 PM) *

Although i do have a lot of appreciation for what you have managed , very few people can say that , its a real achivement!

But i still appreciate you rather than lorthan...just saying.... winksad.gif

Thank you! I really appreciate that happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 9 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #19

Forum Bard
Group Icon

With Morrowind I was instantly dragged in by the foreign world and the interesting architecture. The uniqueness of the creatures and the ridiculously large world to explore kept me playing for hours on end. The storyline, guilds, and scope of the world was like nothing I'd ever seen in a game before. I think that Morrowind is probably the only game I ever played every chance I could literally for years. Now I can't play it. I've done everything over and over again so many times that when I get a quest I know exactly what to do and where to go. I still plug it in once in a while to reminisce but don't play for more than an hour anymore. I basically just explore the world and think back. It is as if I just stepped back into my childhood for a few minutes every time I hear the theme song though.

Oblivion's experience was bittersweet for me. It was a huge letdown from what I'd hoped it would be and what we'd been told it would be...at least one administrator here shared my opinion. I was part of the generation that had been sucked in by the hype machine with promises of amazingly intelligent NPC's and a unique world. When I first picked up the game I was amazed with the graphics and the game itself. Then the AI proved to be disappointing, with characters sharing news with their wife like they'd never met and never really doing anything like what had been shown by the devs. The creatures were all bland and generic like they'd been pulled straight from an old book of fairy tale creatures.

I still enjoyed Oblivion and ended up dumping quite a few hours into it but it wasn't like Morrowind, I was never really completely drawn in by it. The only thing about Oblivion that I fell head first into was the Shivering Isles expansion, which I felt was alien enough that I just had to explore it fully. It brought back that unique feeling of Morrowind more than Vanilla Oblivion ever did.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 9 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

flowerboom: don't even bother, I've already tried to get mirocu to create a second character. laugh.gif Aint gonna happen...I was close, though, wasn't I?

QUOTE(King Coin @ May 13 2011, 11:12 PM) *

And all of them were terrible characters.

I laughed so hard at this, it seriously started to hurt!

Oblivion was my first RPG.

Oblivion was probably my 15th or 20th RPG or "RPG". Most "RPGs" are terrible PS or PS2 copycat games, like Drakkengard or Crusaders of Might and Magic. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ May 14 2011, 09:43 PM) *

I know people complained that Cyrodiil was so small, but believe me, walking to Weynon Priory I couldn't get over how long it took!

I agree. One of the things I loved early on was how long it took to walk (let's say) from Bruma to Leyawiin. HOURS. And I've never been a runner, I've always walked more than I've run.

I remember just after getting Oblivion, I was a member of IGN's forums and I was commenting on how long it took to get from one place to another. And some other forumite was like "UM .... u know u can fast-travel, rite?" laugh.gif I had no idea what FT was at the time, and once I learned, I still never used it.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:15 PM