14 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pillars Of Eternity
Acadian
post Aug 7 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #181

Paladin
Group Icon

Oooh! Group of six stacked up to take on a dragon! That brings back some BGII memories. Wonderful shots!

Sorry to keep bringing up BGII but it is handy as a point of mutual reference. Is PoE relatively 'linear' in the same way that BGII was? I found in BGII, the best way for me to play was leisurely go through the game, then simply start over and enjoy it again with perhaps some adjustments to team composition, tweaks, slightly different quest ordering etc.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 7 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #182

Ancient
Group Icon

PoE is mostly linear. It is divided into 3 Acts. Finishing the 1st Act opens up the map to the 2nd. Finishing that opens up the map to the 3rd Act. So you cannot get to an area belonging to the next Act until you finish the Act you are in.

There are a couple of detours on the map however. The first is the Endless Depths of Od Nua. It is a massive 15 level deep dungeon that sits underneath the castle you get as your stronghold at the end of Act I. You can do as much of that as you want starting in Act 1. The enemies down there are tough, so you probably won't really start delving deep until the middle or end of Act 2.

The second detour are the White March dlcs. WM1 opens up near the beginning of Act 2. WM2 opens up once you finish the main quest of WM1, and rest once outside of the White March. Both of these are pretty sizeable, and better left until near the end of Act 2. But you can do them whenever you want, and go back and forth between the White March and the Dyrwood (the main game world). Or you can ignore them completely. Likewise the Endless Depths of Od Nua can be ignored completely as well. You don't have to clear out any of the three to complete the game.

When you enter the final dungeon of Act 3 you are locked in however. Once you finish that, you end the game, and you cannot go back and do anything you missed. So if you want to do the Endless Depths and White Marches, make sure you get them done before the end of Act 3.

In this run through I started the Endless Depths at the end of Act 1, and did about 3 or 4 levels. By then the enemies were too much. So I went off and did all of Act 2. Once that was done I went back to the Endless Depths and did them down to level 13. Then I backed off once more, and did The White March part 1. After that was done I went back to to the Dyrwood to finish the last two levels of the Endless Depths (the last is a dragon battle).

When that was done the White March 2 started because I rested in the Depths. So I went back to the White March, and am currently doing Part 2. I am going to finish that off, then go back to The Dyrwood and do Act 3.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 10 2017, 12:41 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 7 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #183

Paladin
Group Icon

I see. That sounds pretty good. Thanks for the info!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2017, 01:40 AM
Post #184

Ancient
Group Icon

There is a new version of Pillars on Gog. It is 3.06.1254. Now I can see that the most recent version of IEMod I mentioned the other week was made for this (though it also works on Pillars 3.05). The new game version only fixes three things, and there is no patch for it. You have to do a full download of the game and reinstall. So I am not sure if it is really worth it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 12 2017, 02:09 AM
Post #185

Paladin
Group Icon

No patch to upgrade version? How odd. I guess the uninstall/download/reinstall may boil down to if you can keep your saved games and how much tinkering it'll take to keep your mods going.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #186

Ancient
Group Icon

Usually they do have patches. I am not sure why they did not do one this time. Thankfully save games are usually compatible with version changes in Pillars. Mods are not that hard to deal with either, since there are not that many of them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 13 2017, 03:20 AM
Post #187

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished out The White March I and II. Both are good additions to the game. The first opens up Durgans Battery and the White Forge. This is notable because it allows you to add Durgan Steel to your item and armor enchantments. It increases the speed of weapons and increases the chances of a critical hit and crit damage. It reduces the speed penalty of armor and makes you less likely to be critically hit. So it is good all around.

WM Part II is a direct response to your opening of Durgan's Battery. The big bad in it are the Eyeless: the same creatures that wiped out the Dwarves from Durgan's Battery centuries before. Opening the Battery puts them back on the warpath. In the process of stopping them, your actions determine whether a god is resurrected or not.

The final showdown requires that either your character or a companion sacrifice themselves. But there are some ways around it. First is if during the White March Part I you returned the spirits of the Dwarves back to the Wheel. In that case they have been reborn into Lagerfath, who save you and take you to safety (I think this is only if you choose to have the player character make the sacrifice).

Another way is a Diving Bell helmet that is a quest reward. If you sacrificing character has the helmet, they can wear it to get to safety. Finally, if they have a Constitution of 18 they can survive. I am not sure, but it is also possible that the Devil of Caroc can survive as well, as she is not alive to begin with.

I finished up the quests of the companions added by the White March in the process. Maneha's directly tied to the WM2's main quest. There is a side room in the Abbey of the Fallen Moon where you can finish her quest. Your actions decide how it all turns out, which is nice.

Zahua's quest was difficult to start. He is recruitable during WM1. But it is not until WM2 that his quest becomes available. You have to talk to him after starting WM2 and go through his dialogue trees to find the right thing to start it. Once you do you go to Whitestone Hollow to complete it. It was a fun, drug-fueled, vision quest. Very suitable to the character, and different from the other companion quests.

I did have one issue with WM2. There is a quest granted by a smith in the new Temple of Abydon in Stalwart that requires you to go Defiance Bay. But at the end of Act II Defiance Bay is sealed off, and you cannot get there again. So now I cannot complete that quest. So it is best to do both parts of the White March before doing the Animancer Trials and completing Act II.

Now I am back to The Dyrwood and going into Act III.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 13 2017, 03:47 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 13 2017, 03:38 AM
Post #188

Paladin
Group Icon

Congrats and thanks for the update!

Lots of good, detailed info archived in that post. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 13 2017, 03:41 AM
Post #189

Ancient
Group Icon

The Dead God

Battling the Eyeless

Eyeless + Tentacles

The Kraken

Bridge of Ghosts

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 13 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #190

Paladin
Group Icon

Some more epic fighting it looks like! Brr, some of that area looks freezing. Kraken? Ewwww - that is one ugly m...(well, just imagine what Arnold would say). ohmy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 13 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #191

Ancient
Group Icon

Thankfully the Kraken was more scary to look at than to fight. It has a lot of tentacles coming up through the ice. But I just ignored them and had everyone attack the head with everything they had. It didn't last more than a few rounds.

I cleared out Cragholdt Bluffs (which is added by White March 1) for the first time ever. The first time I tried I was about 8th level, and I got my rear completely kicked, and didn't go back in that game. This time my characters are 16th level, and it was nearly a walkover. The ending is a big fight with Concelhaut, one of the famous mages from the Pillars world, and a Lich to boot.

I am almost finished up with Pillars now. I am at the point of petitioning the gods for help to reach Thaos (the Big Bad). There are 4 gods, each with their own quest. You only have to do one of them. I kind of did one by accident already, when I went to Hylea's temple and found the Sky Dragon there. Persephone decided to let the dragon live, as she was raising the last of her eggs there. Plus a Sky Dragon in a Sky Goddess' temple seems like the right thing. I am not sure how that will play out when I try doing Hylea's quest. It might automatically complete, or I might have to go back to the Sky Dragon again.

I have completed all the companion quests except Durance's. I should be getting his done the next time I play. I finished Hirvias' quest. It is centered around Twin Elms (the last area of the game map unlocked by starting Act III). It is an interesting story, once again centered deeply in the game's theme of souls. But I don't like the voice actor for Hirvias, and I still don't know what to do with a Druid - whether I should use him for a shape-shifted fighter, or a spellcaster. So I was glad to be done with him and removed him from the party once his quest was done.

I finished Grieving Mother's quest as well. It doesn't require going anywhere at all. Rather you have to talk to her about her past as a midwife. Then after a few rests you new dialogue will open up when you talk to her again. After about three of those you can complete her quests. It is heart-breaking, about crisis of hollowborn children (children born with no souls) plaguing the Dyrwood.

I played a bit more with her in the party. The high level Cipher powers are really something. There is a 9th level spell that gives every member of the party the highest defense stat possessed by a party member. So whoever has the highest Deflection, shares the same with everyone else, etc...

I finished Pellagina's quest once I got into the Twin Elms area. Her quest is about brokering an exclusive trade agreement between Eir Glanfath and her homeland - The Vailian Republics. Pellagina can see that this is likely to lead to war with The Dyrwood, as it means stealing trade from them. But those are her orders. In the end you guide her to follow orders and set up the trade deal, to cancel it, or set up a minor trade agreement in things the Dyrwood does not buy from the Glanfathans.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 14 2017, 02:30 AM
Post #192

Ancient
Group Icon

I beat the game like a red-haired stepchild. Phew. That was a really good game.

It turns out that talking to the Sky Dragon in Hylea's Temple did indeed count as finishing her quest. It skipped to the quest end once I talked to her in Teir Evron. I did Galawain's quest as well, and decided to make a pact with him to return the souls stolen by Thaos and the Leaden Key to the Dyrwood, in return for his boon (which turned out to be a bonus to Might and Athletics).

I also completed Durance's quest in Teir Evron. You have the opportunity to convince him that his goddess Magran betrayed him and tried to kill him after using him to forge the Godhammer (which killed the god Eothas before the game started).

I did like doing the game with the vanilla companions. They have good stories, and there is a wide variety of them to choose from. I found my favorite lineup was this:

Eder - Fighter
Pallegina - Paladin
Aloth - Wizard
Durance - Priest
Sagani (with Ituumak of course!) - Ranger

I liked The Devil of Caroc a lot as well. She has a great laugh. I would have swapped her out for Durance, but that would have left the group without a Priest, which did not strike me as wise. But if I played the game as a Priest, I would leave him off and take the Devil instead.

There are interactions with all the companions with you when you finally meet and defeat Thaos. I think some of them might effect the end game plates, at least for Aloth and Eder. Durance, Sagani, and the others seem to be set by how their quests ended. Pallegina fate is partly determined by her quest, and whether or not you return the lost souls to the Dyrwood. Doing the latter brings her best ending, as it redeems her decision to ignore her orders and instead make a limited trade deal. This keeps the Vailian Republics out of a future war with the resurgent Dyrwood and creates a strong trade between Dyrwood, Vailia, and Eir Glanfath.

Sky Dragon

The Council of Stars

Final Battle

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 14 2017, 02:46 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 14 2017, 03:52 AM
Post #193

Paladin
Group Icon

That sky dragon is beautiful! And what a great resource you have provided with this thread for anyone considering PoE!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2017, 02:54 AM
Post #194

Ancient
Group Icon

Pillars of Eternity is now on sale for $18 at Gog. If you don't own it already, now is the time...

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 17 2017, 02:54 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 29 2017, 02:24 AM
Post #195

Ancient
Group Icon

I created Hecate for Pillars. I was thinking that I would use all the regular companions with her. Except for Durance, since I don't really like him much. My plan was to hire an Adventurer for the team's Priest.

I could just create a generic character for the Priest. But I was thinking it would be cooler to use another Fallout character. So now I am looking through my other Fallout characters and the games NPCs to find a good candidate. Killer Frost is probably my best pick from former player characters. Out of NPCs maybe Julie Farkas from New Vegas? Dr. Li is too much of a stick in the mud. Daddy James does not feel right. Maybe the medic from Mothership Zeta? But he was kind of a wuss. Maybe Doc Mitchell?

In the end I went with Killer Frost

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 15 2018, 04:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Nov 6 2017, 07:16 AM
Post #196

Master
Group Icon

Wasteland team is conquering the Eora.

Frost Killer is now the priest! laugh.gif

Both Doc Mitchell and Julie are good options too, and maybe also Daniel from Honest Hearts, he is a missionary IIRC.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 6 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #197

Ancient
Group Icon

In The Flash tv show Killer Frost is a doctor/bio-engineer. So she fit the bill for a healer type. Ironically Hecate is also a medical doctor/nurse. She learned from Daddy James in Vault 101. But never had time to finish her medical schooling there with him.

I forgot all about Daniel from Honest Hearts. He would have been good too.

Sadly, now that I started Hecate in Skyrim, her Pillars game has fallen by the wayside. At least for now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 17 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #198

Ancient
Group Icon

Gog.com has The Pillars Definitive Edition for sale for $30. It is the base game plus the two White March expansions. Plus it has some new soul-bound weapons and pirate-themed goodies inspired by the new Deadfire game that comes out next year.

Sadly, the Deadfire Pack is only for game version 3.07. But IEMod has not been updated for that game version yet.

If you like team-based strategy RPGs, buy it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 16 2018, 12:40 AM
Post #199

Ancient
Group Icon

Sadly IEMod has yet to be updated to 3.07. However, I have seen several people say that it does work with that game version, at least mostly. So I installed 3.07, and the Deadfire pack with it. So far it works even with the older version of IEmod. No CTDs at least, and I see the IEMod options there and they seem to work (except the spells per encounter, which did not work before either).

So I started a new game with Hecate. This time I decided to try something fancy. In Fallout Hecate has medical training, though is not quite a doctor. Dear old Daddy James was a doctor and scientist, and Hecate had been following in his footsteps when she was forced to flee the vault. So I decided to try to use the console to create a Ranger/Priest hybrid.

You can use the console to add spells to non-spellcaster classed characters. But since they are not spellcasters, there is nothing in the interface to allow you to cast them. So I made Hecate a Priest and saved. Then I opened up her save with Eternity Keeper, and used the option in it to edit Raw values. Buried in all the values in there are things like Base Deflection, Melee and Ranged Accuracy, Base Health and Endurance, etc.. I used this page to give Hecate the values for a Ranger. Then saved and went back to the game.

Once in the game I used the console to give Hecate a bow to start with, and the Ranger abilities Swift Aim and Wounding Shot.

I played through the tutorial dungeon and beyond a little bit. So far it is working great. Hecate is an archer, who can heal. There is no animal companion, but that is fine, as she never really had one in the Fallout games anyhow. I will just have to use the console to give her archery abilities as she levels up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 17 2018, 03:12 PM
Post #200

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, I decided to cancel my 3.07 game. IEMod was working. But unfortunately other mods that rely upon were not, like Ranger Improvements and Arcane Veil Modal. I could tell because when I used the modded abilities I their graphics wold not appear correctly. Instead I would get a bright pink square on the screen. If that much was not working, the rest of the mods must not have been either. I found a few replacements, but none that did quite the same thing, in the full manner.

So I am going back to 3.06. Looks like this will be the final game version for me.

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:59 PM