Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Podcast or Radio Drama Are You Listening To?
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 14 2020, 02:47 AM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 13 2020, 08:00 PM) *

The HP Lovecraft Historical Society (HPLHS), is now giving away their audiobook of At The Mountains Of Madness for free! Yes, that's right free. They are also giving away their Dark Adventure Radio Theater production of The Rats In The Walls for free as well!.

Both are only free until Monday. So go get them!

Neat!

I’ve been listening to two different podcasts that are both produced by Aaron Mahnke, the same guy who does the excellent podcast Lore. The first is Cabinet of Curiosities which are very short in length but are fun. In it Aaron talks about different people, places, and things with mysterious or bizarre stories. These are often more lighthearted than Lore tends to be, but there is some macabre content as well. The second one is called Noble Blood. It is actually hosted by a writer named Dana Schwartz rather than Aaron. This podcast deals with the unusual deaths or other tragedies involving selections of aristocrats from around the world. The first episode discussed the days leading up to the beheading of Marie Antoinette. I found Ms. Schwartz’s voice to be a bit monotone in that episode, but it definitely improved in the following episodes. I recommend both of those podcasts for those interested in strange or dark historical stories.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Mar 14 2020, 02:47 AM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 16 2020, 02:19 AM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

MonsterTalk just released an episode about Covid-19, with a virologist as the guest. You can get the free version here, or the regular version on the MonsterTalk Patreon page. I highly recommend it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 20 2020, 04:50 PM
Post #43

Ancient
Group Icon

I have gotten to the Haitian Revolution in the Revolutions Podcast. This is really cool. Well, looking back on it after 200 years that is. It would make for a great Netflix series. I could easily see Mahershala Ali playing Toussaint Louverture. There is just so much going on, so many different factions, whose goals shift as the story goes on. This takes place at the same time as the French Revolution. So events from that bear sharply on those in Haiti, usually by injecting even more chaos into an already chaotic series of events.

I also did not realize that the British invaded Haiti during it all, and that the Spanish backed some of the slave armies, to the point of eventually making their leaders official Spanish officers. This is all due to the Wars of the French Revolution, which Haiti became a major focus of. I did not realize it, but Haiti was the richest island in the Caribbean, thanks to its sugar, coffee, and indigo plantations. Also thanks to those it had the largest slave population in the New World, with half a million slaves at the time of the Revolution.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 26 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

This week's episode of Voluminous was particularly good. In Anything But The White Ape HP is talking to the first editor of Weird Tales magazine, complaining about how he changed the title of his Story Arthur Jermyn. Besides his complaining, he gives a short autobiography about himself. I expect it will be really eye-opening to those who do not know much about HPL outside of his fiction.

He talks about how his family was rich in his childhood (they had four servants), then fell on hard times after his grandfather died. He talks about how he did not like the company of other children even when he was little. How he discovered paganism through Greco-Roman history and mythology, and later astronomy. Those were two of his great passions in life. He also barely mentioned Sonia Greene, whom he would marry just a month after writing this letter!

For Lovecraft fans, it's a good one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 13 2020, 10:55 PM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

Today I discovered We Have Ways Of Making You Talk. It is a UK based podcast done by James Holland and a British comedian whom I do not know. James is a historian I know from numerous WW2 documentaries. He was in a lot of the episodes of Nazi Mega Weapons, which was on Netflix for a while, but is gone now. He is also in the middle of writing a book series on WW2.

I have only listened to one episode so far, but it has been good. The podcast is about WW2. They don't take the war in chronological order. They just bounce around covering one topic or another each episode.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 14 2020, 11:50 PM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

Monster Talk just put out a rare video episode talking with psychologist Dr Brian Sharpless. It was a live show they did a few weeks ago on Facebook. They recorded it, and just put it up on You Tube today. It is a neat change from the usual audio-only podcasts they do, as we get to see them all.

There is no one topic. They are kind of all over the place with lycanthropes, vampires, necrophilia and the like. Dr. Sharpless talks about each, and the real world psychological issues that people have which may have contributed to the legends existing. He's a cool guy, he knows his folklore, and he knows his science.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 16 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

The HP Lovecraft Literary Society currently has several free offerings:

The Facts In The Case Of M Valdemar radio drama

The Color Out Of Space audiobook

At The Mountains Of Madness audiobook

Supernatural Horror In Literature audiobook

I already own all of them. The first is one of the Dark Adventure Radio Theater series. It is not a Lovecraft story, but a Poe story, and one Lovecraft really liked. Poe was a huge influence on him. It is a good one. Well, all the Dark Adventures are good ones. If you have never listed to one, this is a great time to give it a try.

Color and Mountains of Madness are two of HPL's best stories. Mountains of Madness is my favorite of his. Both of them are really science fiction, rather than pure horror.

Supernatural Horror in Literature is an essay that HPL wrote. It was his attempt to create an overall history of the supernatural in horror writing. The title kind of says it all. So it is not a story, and it tends to be a rather dry recitation of this story and that story. I tried, and failed, to get through it.

Snatch them up now, the price is right!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 17 2020, 12:06 AM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 16 2020, 04:21 PM) *

The HP Lovecraft Literary Society currently has several free offerings

When I got the email today, I thought of you! laugh.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 23 2020, 03:20 AM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

The HPLHS has their Dark Adventure Radio Theater version of The Whisperer In Darkness for sale now. I just bought it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 15 2020, 12:13 AM
Post #50

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit has fish people on the brain due to his newest D&D character, so this one has been listening to the H.P.Lovecraft Literary Podcast (hppodcraft.com).

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 15 2020, 02:52 AM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

I am still subscribed to the Patreon, and listening to their weekly episodes.

I recently discovered MSA 21, a YouTube channel that takes readings from some of Lovecraft's stories and adds in full illustrations. So they are like a narrated comic. Half of it is in Russian. But the other half is in English. I found one little issue with the Nameless City episode, in which there was some kind of visual artifacts for several seconds. Then I think the audio and video got separated by those few seconds.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 17 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #52

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 14 2020, 08:52 PM) *

I am still subscribed to the Patreon, and listening to their weekly episodes.

I recently discovered MSA 21, a YouTube channel that takes readings from some of Lovecraft's stories and adds in full illustrations. So they are like a narrated comic. Half of it is in Russian. But the other half is in English. I found one little issue with the Nameless City episode, in which there was some kind of visual artifacts for several seconds. Then I think the audio and video got separated by those few seconds.

That sounds neat! I may check that out!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 6 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

I love the music they use for The Call of Cthulhu entries on the H.P.Lovecraft Literary Podcast.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 1 2020, 01:05 AM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

I have discovered some podcasts I have neglected to post about here.

American Hysteria is similar to You're Wrong About, in that it covers various hysterias and moral panics. Unlike YWA, it only has one host. But I like her voice (which is really important to me liking a podcast), and she has good stuff.

Why Are Dads? is done by one of the people from You're Wrong About, plus another person. They tackle movies which feature dads, and talk about the film in general and the dad issues and portrayls of dads in them. So far they have done Dirty Dancing, Jaws, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and a couple others.

Lions Led By Donkeys is kind of marginal for me, because I am not thrilled with the voices of the two podcasters. Just as some people have a face for radio, people also have a voice for it. Not them. In any case, they are two US veterans who talk about not the lions of military history, but the donkeys. The leaders who just totally screwed up. Like Haig in WW1, or the British retreat from Kabul, The War of 1812, and so on. Or just about total crap shows, like the Iran-Iraq War. Sometimes it is not about the losers so much, but just about things in the military in general. I just finished one on the Cold War and nuclear weapons (and all the accidents with nuclear bombs - sorry about those ones we dropped on your Spain!) that was well done.

And for something completely different, The Dirt is an archaeology podcast. I like the two hosts. They have good voices, and have a fun time doing the show, which translates into a fun show. They talk lots of archaeology stuff. I just listened to one on the Paleo Diet. Not the modern fad diet, but what we have found people were eating in the stone age. They just did one about warding off evil, and how people did so in the past.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 8 2020, 02:00 AM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished a 6 part Lion Led By Donkeys series on The Iran-Iraq War. It was really good. The podcast that is, not the war. The tag line for this war is: "But wait, it gets worse" Or as the podcaster said, it was like a chess game, played by two idiots who did not know how to play chess.

I actually remember this. I was in my early teens when it stared. It was on the news occasionally, especially when it started. Though later the coverage petered out, especially once it turned into a mostly static affair of Iraqis in trenches and Iranians mounting human wave assaults (with martyrs on white horses of course). The podcast fills in all the many gaps in my memory. As well as reports on the things the news did not, such as how America gave Iraq the chemicals they would need to produce the poison gas they used on Iranian cities. It is how we knew Saddam had chemical weapons in the First Gulf War. We kept the receipts.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 31 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

HPLHS has The Curse of Yig radio drama for sale. Just in time for Halloween!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 14 2020, 01:57 AM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

Today I discovered The Old Gods of Appalachia. It is a fiction show, set in an alternate Appalachian Mountains. It is about the coal mines tearing out the life of the Mother Earth, and the terrible price she exacted from her plunderers. It is about the green forests where humans were never meant to tread. It is about something that cracked open deep within the bowels of the earth, where sunlight never fell, and what crept forth.

Needless to say, it is backwoods horror with a very strong Lovecraftian bent. It reminded me a lot of Asher Elbien's book Ghost Days, and of course Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John stories.

Unfortunately, it is all in the .m4a format, which my player does not recognize. So I have been forced to convert all the files, which is a real pain.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 14 2020, 02:28 AM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 13 2020, 06:57 PM) *

Today I discovered The Old Gods of Appalachia. It is a fiction show, set in an alternate Appalachian Mountains. It is about the coal mines tearing out the life of the Mother Earth, and the terrible price she exacted from her plunderers. It is about the green forests where humans were never meant to tread. It is about something that cracked open deep within the bowels of the earth, where sunlight never fell, and what crept forth.

Needless to say, it is backwoods horror with a very strong Lovecraftian bent. It reminded me a lot of Asher Elbien's book Ghost Days, and of course Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John stories.

Unfortunately, it is all in the .m4a format, which my player does not recognize. So I have been forced to convert all the files, which is a real pain.

Ooo neat! I can get it on Apple Podcasts! I’ll definitely be checking this out!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 15 2020, 02:50 AM
Post #59

Ancient
Group Icon

I started it, and I’ve only listened to the prologue, the first, and second episodes, but so far I’m loving it! The atmosphere is really good! For some reason, I can’t help but think of the Swampfolk from Fallout3: Point Lookout, lol.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 26 2021, 06:57 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

I recently discovered Our Fake History. It is a podcast that sheds the light of reality on history's myths. The stories that sound too crazy to be true, but are, and the ones that just plain made up.

I am about 20 episodes in, and it has been good so far. They had a really good 3 parter on Joan of Arc, and another good one about the Trojan War. As well as William Wallace, Napoleon, Cortez, Nero, and other figures and events with all sorts of myths created about them.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:10 PM