> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 15 2014, 02:13 AM
Post #1661

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vital @ Apr 15 2014, 01:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Apr 15 2014, 09:09 AM) *

Game of Thrones did it again! Killed off a major character in the second episode.

"Weddings have become more perilous than battles, it would seem."

A brilliant episode, loved every moment of it. The wedding was very well done; all the little conflicts throughout the scene really built the tension and then of course

The wedding has really set up the rest of the series. I noticed that Illyn Payne hasn't featured in the show since season 1 (actually he may have appeared in 2), so they've had to use other characters to fill his role. Little change, but for some reason I really noticed it this episode when Bronn was with Jaime.

I know who's responsible. The hints were dropped in the episode.

Indeed. Oberyn with his woman and Cersei and Tywin's conversation was icy and tense. The entire episode was very good. Ramsay and his woman hunting that girl in the woods for sport shows how demented he is, and also we see a broken Reek.

"Everything has changed."

The Purple Wedding did put things into motion. Illyn Payne was in season 2 as well. They replaced him with Bronn because the actor who played Payne(Wilko Johnson) has terminal cancer of the pancreas. They used Bronn instead.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 15 2014, 01:09 PM
Post #1662

Councilor
Group Icon

Ooooh, I recently bought Wilko Johnson's single with Roger Daltry...Awesome song...

You're enjoying GOT a bit then?... laugh.gif ...

Oh, btw...Five-O and NCIS:LA for me last night...

Oooooh, we also saw, over the weekend the Magnum season 7 opener with Dana Delaney... wub.gif ...Dear God that woman is gorgeous...*Sighs*...Anyways, loved it...Really good episode...

We feel like we're heading into the home straight with Magnum now... laugh.gif ...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 15 2014, 07:38 PM
Post #1663

Councilor
Group Icon

Not so much "now watching" as "watched last night", but Judge Dredd.

I used to love this film, and I hadn't seen it in years, so I thought I'd dig out the dvd.

Terrible mistake.

I hated it.

Riddled with continuity errors, plotholes you could park a moon comfortably inside, and most of the time when there was gunfire ricocheting off the walls there was nowhere it could have actually come from.

That film is now ruined for me sad.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Apr 15 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #1664

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Apr 15 2014, 07:38 PM) *

Not so much "now watching" as "watched last night", but Judge Dredd.

I used to love this film, and I hadn't seen it in years, so I thought I'd dig out the dvd.

Terrible mistake.

I hated it.

Riddled with continuity errors, plotholes you could park a moon comfortably inside, and most of the time when there was gunfire ricocheting off the walls there was nowhere it could have actually come from.

That film is now ruined for me sad.gif

Dredd supposed to be very good.

Haven't heard any bad things about it.

Judge Dredd isn't too good tongue.gif
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 15 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #1665

Ancient
Group Icon

Dana Delaney is definite sigh material. I wish Netflix would add China Beach...

The old Judge Dredd movie with Sly Stallone was a groaner. They got too grandiose, what with Rico and him trying to take over the Judges Council, the ABC Warrior (like who is going to get that?), and of course the committed the cardinal sin of Dredd without a helmet.

I rewatched the new Dredd with Karl Urban again a few nights ago for about the fifth time. That was really good. They kept the story simple, Judges trapped in a block vs. a druglord, and it works. It is just as much a standard cop movie as it is a sci-fi movie, so it is really accessible: Drugs are bad m'kay, drugdealers kill people, Judges kill drug dealers.

Plus Karl Urban kept his helmet on the entire time, and he always had a scowl. He nailed Dredd.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 16 2014, 07:35 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 16 2014, 04:42 AM
Post #1666

Councilor
Group Icon

I really enjoyed Dredd...I found the DVD whilst looking for something else the other day...I may have to rewatch it meself now... smile.gif ...

Aaamywho, just watched Doctor Who - The Idiot's Lantern...The one with Maureen Lipman as The Wire...The alien thing that uses the TVs to suck your brain's energy out and leaves you a faceless vegetable...*Insert satirical comment here*... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Apr 16 2014, 11:32 PM
Post #1667

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Finished watching all four seasons of Archer on Netflix. I love it because the whole series is full of running jokes. It's like the entire show is centered around inside jokes, intentionally bad puns, and over the top attitudes.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 17 2014, 01:13 AM
Post #1668

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been watching The Shield lately. I am loving it. Michael Chiklis makes an outstanding anti-hero. He's as dirty as a cop can get. He even kills another cop. But you can still root for him because the bad guys are usually worse. That includes the captain who wants to put him away, not because he believes in the law, but because he wants to bust other cops to make a name for himself and go into politics.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 17 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #1669

Councilor
Group Icon

House, season 1

The closest thing you'll get to a modern Sherlock Holmes. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Apr 17 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #1670

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Apr 17 2014, 02:15 PM) *

House, season 1

The closest thing you'll get to a modern Sherlock Holmes. biggrin.gif

Check the funny pic thread tongue.gif

Also isn't the closet thing to a modern Sherlock Holmes both Sherlock and Elementary biggrin.gif?

This post has been edited by ImperialSnob: Apr 17 2014, 06:21 PM
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 18 2014, 04:30 AM
Post #1671

Master
Group Icon

Well, I just finished watching the first season of All Things Great and Small on Netflix. It was quite fun recognizing the stories I had read so many years ago, way back when I first discovered the second book in the series in seventh grade. I suppose you could blame Mr. Herriot for planting that seed in my mind that it was what I wanted to do when I grew up.

In any case, it occurred to me that while I had read and reread the books through high school and college, I did not read them during vet school, nor during the 19 years I practiced veterinary medicine. But now that I am out of it, I am enjoying the series immensely.

Not much happens in these books plot-wise, but they are the ultimate in character-driven stories. Not just the animals and the hills that make up the Dales, but the people themselves too. I am enjoying getting reacquainted with Siegfried, Tristan, Helen, and Mrs. Pumphrey (with Tricki-Woo), old Mr. Dean with Bob, Mulligan and his big wolf wanna-be Clancy, and Mrs. Bond who works for cats.

It's a nice relaxing pace, and a change from characters who are so pretentious and self-absorbed and wrapped up in their own woes. Mr. Herriot is not one of those, but rather a humble person who is not shy about sharing his most embarrassing moments. Most of the fun are at his expense, and he writes it well. There's tears, yes, but along with that are plenty of laughter. He gives us a blow-by-blow account of his disastrous dates with Helen, where he does not come off looking quite as suave as he would have liked. His social life is a string of calamities and faux pas (faux pases?). He can't go anywhere without the practice calling him out. And his patients and their curmudgeonly owners are forever humbling him. But he has his moments, where I want to stand up and cheer him on.

I do still have those old paperbacks occupying a prime space on my bookshelves somewhere. So maybe I'll pull them out, dust them off, and sit down with them. After I finish watching the next five seasons, that is . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 18 2014, 01:53 PM
Post #1672

Master
Group Icon

Dad (and the rest of us) loved those books! Since we were "dog people" from way back, they really spoke to us. I can still remember Dad reading the parts about Tricky out loud, with the rest of us laughing.

On-topic- just to be different than I usually am...

We are watching the final episodes of this season's Parenthood.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 19 2014, 01:56 PM
Post #1673

Councilor
Group Icon

The Amazing Spider-man 2...

Results as follows...

McBoy and McWife - "Awesome!"

McB and McDaughter - "Meh..."...

It's alright...Not as good as the first one of these re-dos...

Although, I admit I've never been a big Spidey fan...And the first three (Tobey McGuire ones) left me so bored...

The first of the Andrew Garfield ones I was actually impressed with...Possibly because it impressed me...Which is hard to do with a Spider-Man film...But this one...Way too long...Takes ages to set the villains up, which I know you have to do in order for them to be Credible™...But still, takes so long...

Oh, and one of the main things in the trailer, the Rhino fight...Pffft...Just don't even bother...One of the biggest sleight of hand moves I've ever seen a trailer do...

Still, Emma Stone... wub.gif ...And for old times' sake...Sally Field... wub.gif ... biggrin.gif ...Oh, who am I kidding?...Probably would still... laugh.gif ...
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 19 2014, 02:01 PM
Post #1674

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 19 2014, 02:56 PM) *

The Amazing Spider-man 2...

Didnt that come out in like 1998? huh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 19 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #1675

Councilor
Group Icon

Nah, that was Spider-Man 2...See the difference there?... biggrin.gif ...

Lookie here...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Apr 19 2014, 02:04 PM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 19 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #1676

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Ahh... So the first 2 wasnt Amazing™... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 19 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #1677

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 19 2014, 02:11 PM) *

Ahh... So the first 2 wasnt Amazing™... biggrin.gif

*Shrugs*...*Smiles but respectfully refuses to comment*... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 20 2014, 03:37 AM
Post #1678

Councilor
Group Icon

Star Wars - Attack Of The Clones...

I really enjoyed this one...Yes, it contains Cheesy Lines™, Bad Acting™ or at least These Lines Are So Bad How Can I Actually Act This Crap Well?™ and Obi-Wan's Dodgy Beard™...

However, I really enjoyed watching it again...

Next week, it's the film that started the Clone Wars series off...Just for continuity purposes... tongue.gif ...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 20 2014, 08:46 PM
Post #1679

Councilor
Group Icon

Gladiator

I do love this film biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 20 2014, 09:11 PM
Post #1680

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Apr 20 2014, 08:46 PM) *

Gladiator

I do love this film biggrin.gif

As do I, m'friend...As do I...

"Shadows and Dust..."... verysad.gif ...

Erm...I saw your thing about SHIELD the other day...I agree, it's trying too hard...Certainly Coulson and May are always excellent...But the whole thing is getting...Boring...*Shrug*...

Like McWife said though, we may as well stick with it to the end now...

Hill's ( wub.gif ) turning up in a couple of episodes, and Nick Fury's supposed to be in the finale...So yeah, even if it does get cancelled, at least we did the one series...

Besides...McBoy's fallen for Skye... laugh.gif ...

Yeah, like I didn't fall deeply in lust with Ming-Na the instant she growled at the rest in that first episode... wub.gif ... laugh.gif ...

Oh, we just watched a couple of Magnum P.I.s...The one with the deaf artist who witnessed a massacre at a bank...And the one with the hooker from the previous series who'd come back to look for her sister...Who's also a hooker...And not the T.J. variety... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 82 83 84 85 86 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:16 PM