3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Balance: The Neutral Spider, From the Office of Laegus Hawkherd
Red
post Feb 26 2006, 01:44 AM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, this is the starting of my new, hopefully longer living Fan Fiction. This is a very rough draft, AKA only edited and re-edited about 7 times. I know, I'm such a prefectionis. Anyways, this is an odd little gem that I have been kicking around for a while, and the name will soon mean something. Also, please reply with any comments and critiques, nagative or positive. And now, I'm off, and the story is starting. *Dissapears in a cloud of smoke*

CHAPTER ONE: The Trigger

The one question people love to ask me the most is definitely how. How I could just stroll in and out of a murder scene without any thought at all. How I could have evaded the law for so long even though I was so social. How I could possibly fit the accusations against me, and how the crimes could even be possible. I always answer these questions the same way, the cold stare they expect to see.

Lets back up a few years though, so you can understand me the way not many people can. I am Ordras Morvayn, surprisingly good-looking blacksmith living in Cyrodiil. The whole twisted, downward spiral I have been living in as of late started like most stories haven’t. Not with me angry, or happy, or doing anything interesting at all. My ash skinned hide was fast asleep on my soft, comfy bed. I wasn’t dreaming (though I wish I was because it would make this a little more interesting), nor was I looking into a black abyss for hours like normal. It was fast asleep, as in when you fall asleep and feel like you’ve napped for ten seconds. I woke up suddenly, though not groggy, not in pain, not covered in blood, but awake at least. Looking around my large, cluttered room; I noticed how early it was, as the candle I had lit earlier was still aflame. I walked through my room door, past the door of my currently travelling co-worker and past the door where my boss slept before he could afford a real house. After walking a few steps more and jumping down the stairs, all two of them, I was in the smithing room. Here, is where our story bursts from a dull cocoon and spreads the wings of an interesting plot twist.

A tall figure, at least a head taller then me, stood in the smithing room above a body. He wore loose, black leather pants with belts wrapped around various places. A dark cloak over a barely visible shirt ensured I had no guess to his weight, though he looked like he was quite lean from the little of him I could see, and he wore a Netch leather helm painted black. He looked like he killed Hitmen in his spare time. I looked at him, a monstrous looking killer clad in black, and he looked at me, an easy target Dark Elf clad in baggy underwear. He laughed a long, hardy laugh and reached into the pack on his back. I froze. He revealed something, but not a weapon. He threw a shirt and a pair of pants at me. I looked at him hard, and then the dead body of an Altmer he stood above. No one I worked with, my strange Nordic boss thought my co-worker and I were more than enough to do all the smith work his clients required. “Now” the stranger said with a booming voice, pointing at the clothes. I put them on quickly, nearly putting my head through an armhole. I can honestly say I have never felt a material so soft. Funny the things you notice while in shock fearing you might die.

The stranger blindfolded me, but he did it with care and believe you me, that wasn’t expected. He led me a few steps and then picked me up, which was probably awkward for I was pretty tall myself, and placed me in what seemed to be a cart. I heard the braying, naying and bustling of horses and then his dark, booming voice once again. “Close your eyes and your mind, Dark Elf, and fall asleep like you had been earlier” He was definitly a Dark Elf and before I could even think of something to say, I blurted out a blind sentence. “Are you violent?” I barely knew what I meant I was so sleepy and confused, but he did. He took a deep, calming breath before speaking. “No, and you can think of me as a friend as soon as you wake” he said it calmly and in a way only a good friend would, and sounded like he was smiling. What a gentleman.

This post has been edited by Red: Feb 27 2006, 04:10 AM

--------------------
//LEFT ARM PULLS TRIGGER, RIGHT ARM SHRUGS SHOULDER//TRANSMISSION ENDED
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sirin
post Feb 27 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #2

Evoker

Red, let me be the first to say that you are a very mysterious one. This "Defiantly Dark Elf" (did you mean 'definitely'?) is incredible in character. He is a very shady, but multi-faced guy. I can almost smell the pride when your lead man says "surprisingly good looking blacksmith." I am eager for more, Red. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
1234king
post Feb 27 2006, 01:27 AM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

this chapter blew me away plz carry on tongue.gif

--------------------
Sigs are stupid!
+Quote Post
jchamber
post Feb 27 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #4

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Red @ Feb 25 2006, 07:44 PM)
...starting. *Dissapears in a cloud of smoke*
CHAPTER ONE: The Trigger
.... What a gentleman.

ahhhhh where did you learn that? maybe we were trained by the same person?

Or did you learn from me? I lose track of some of my students, like when I had this one little girl...and we were at bandcamp...and she walked out of our training area...and I lost track of her...

interesting end btw.....I look forward to more of this story, nothing in here I didn't like, but I went through it very very fast, almost skimming. I been on here for way too long...rofl I will revisit later and see more detail, if I can.

This post has been edited by jchamber: Feb 27 2006, 01:55 AM

--------------------
This is AP Erebus's baby, but I intend to help
(VVclick for site linkage)
+Quote Post
Red
post Feb 27 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks for the positive reviews everyone, and the next update will come later tomorrow if I can find the time to edit a few thousand times tongue.gif . Chamber, I learned that skill from the anciant Udain Ninja clan, but you may have been a teacher there.

And about the spelling mistake, I was going to correct that earlier but forgot to from writing so much. Thanks for the reminder. Well, I'm off to work on the update and planning for the update after that. I am off! *dissapears in a cloud of chocolate milk powder*

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sirin
post Feb 27 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Evoker

Sure thing, Red. Can't wait to read more! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Red
post Feb 28 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

And on the seventh day, God created updates. The update will be up in like, three minutes so I can quick edit for flow and detail. Then the next update will be late. Maybe a day, maybe two, maybe a week. Hell, maybe I'll scrap the entire FF! tongue.gif

I had no dreams that night, which surprised me greatly. After being kidnapped by a gentleman killer, you expect to see something. Strange that I barely thought about the severity of my situation when I first awoke, as if I had known the stranger for ten years. A pair of hands reached down to me and gently removed my blindfold, and my eyes slowly adjusted. A kind, young looking Dark Elf face was hovering over mine. A smile was placed upon his, which was quite strange to see on a kidnapper. “I am deeply sorry about the whole kidnapping thing, but I’ll have you know that you are in quite a grand position. Well, despite the ropes” he said. I smiled, noticing the ropes around my hands and feet. I had been sleeping in a bed, I realized, as my senses came to me. “I some how doubt that, sir?” I asked and was quickly replied with “Sir. Ortei Draen, as of today, former assassin for very select clients”. My face went dumb. It was locked in the smile I was formerly wearing. He stopped hovering over me and climbed off the bed I was tied to. “Wait just a second, I’ll be back”.

I couldn’t decide what emotion to be stricken with. Fear, terror, confusion, they were all so tempting. He came back with a chest in his hands. Great, he has a chest of many weapons. A medley of maniacal masterpieces. Won’t this be a terrible day? “Stamped notes and contracts, friend” he said, laughing. I was sweating and getting ready to tear through the ropes. He walked over to me, placing the chest upon the bed, and untied the ropes. “I know you’re a little terrified of my former, occupation, but let me show you something,” he said, unlocking the chest and pulling out a piece of old, worn paper. I sat on the side of the bed and looked at the document, or what I could see. “This is a paper with the description of a target I had a few years ago. Now, I’m no fan of death and killing, but there are a few special exceptions. Oray Verlo is his name, a strange name especially for a Breton, or at least I think so. Any way, he was a rich, young and popular member of the city of Vivec who owned many businesses in the Foreign Quarter. He was though highly of, and yet, found dead in his home, smelling of liquor. Why? Because he had used the Morag Tong to kill a shop owner in Balmora, a guard in Ald’Ruhn and the brother of an Ordinator. I do not kill, I balance” he was talking calmly, which scared and amazed me at the same time.

“We don’t murder as the blood thirsty monsters of the Dark Brotherhood do, or kill with blind word for clients like the Morag Tong. We study our enemies, we find out their problems and perks, the injustices they have committed and even the people they have helped. If we find that their crimes are too large to possibly be allowed, we fix them. Whether the repair is threatening, persuasion, thievery or killing, we make sure the world is balanced” and with that he left and closed the door, but not before he packed up the chest and dropped a note on the floor.

I got up and looked around the room for something to wear, as I was still wearing the clothes Ortei had me put on during the kidnapping. I looked in the Wardrobe beside the bed I had awoke in and found only papers and assorted jewellery in the first three shelves, but some very fine, expensive pants, a beautiful shirt and a pair of shoes I recognized from a nobleman who had once bought one of my swords. “Hmm” I thought “he did kidnap and frighten me nearly to death, I think he owes me a little more than clothing”. I opened the second shelf and took out some of the rings, necklaces and amulets. A glass ring on my left middle finger and a ruby ring on my right. I put two necklaces around my neck, both metal with a small pendant on each. The rest of the jewellery I placed in my pockets.

I walked toward the door so I could try talking myself out of this mess and put my hand on the knob when I remembered something. During my time as a master thief, the thought of the note left my mind. I walked back to the piece of paper and picked it up. It was stamped in numerous places, including over the text by some one name Rainad Rawkil. It was written in the type of handwriting you would expect a king to have, or at least a duke.

Dear hearing,

You have been selected to become a member of our wonderful organization. You have been watched and found to be an extraordinary candidate worthy of an occupation in our ranks. Whether you are a warrior, a mage or what have you, we require your assistance in our war on imbalance. The karmatic battle if you will. If you agree, take a minute to think about your decision, for your head might be in the wrong place. If you agree after, you are a perfect candidate, and should talk to the person you have received this note from. If you do not accept, it was never meant to be, and you will be forced, through magick, to forget this whole ordeal.

Regards,

Rainad Rawkil,
The Office of Laegus Hawkherd.

Well, isn’t that nice, I’m an assassin or an amnesia victim. I pocketed the piece of paper and opened the door.

This post has been edited by Red: Feb 28 2006, 12:46 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Mar 2 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

I find the idea of an organization dedicated to balancing the equation quite interesting. I'm really curious to see gain a better understanding of how they think an work.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 3 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #9

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Hey Red, nice to see you doing a fan fiction again. You write quite well and this story seems to be a very solid founcation which I hope you can find the inspiration to build on. Please continue.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Red
post Mar 3 2006, 04:26 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Mar 2 2006, 11:28 PM)
Hey Red, nice to see you doing a fan fiction again.  You write quite well and this story seems to be a very solid founcation which I hope you can find the inspiration to build on.  Please continue.

Never! I will reach my three update minimum and then this will be done with tongue.gif .
New update soon, hopefully it will develope the characacters a little more. Also, expect actual action other than awkward conversations in the near future. The suspense is killing me smile.gif .

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 3 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #11

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Lol, I cannot allow you to stop writing this Red...you're gonna have to finish this one mate...or so help me... biggrin.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Taillus
post Mar 3 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

Very interesting concept. I like how this is going but I fear that I should not get attached to it. I hope you follow this through I would really like to read more on this smile.gif

--------------------
“Worry not, young Breton. This will be over very quickly but I wish I could say that it would be painless. You will suffer greatly before you join the countless other souls that fuel my power.” - Taillus
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Mar 3 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

An interesting organization. And an interesting way to get new recruits. If you keep writing, I'll be watching from the shadows.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Red
post Mar 3 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Taillus @ Mar 3 2006, 05:38 PM)
Very interesting concept. I like how this is going but I fear that I should not get attached to it. I hope you follow this through I would really like to read more on this  smile.gif

Thanks for the high praise everyone. smile.gif

Also, don't worry about this buckling Tailus, I'm a big fan of this story line and have many chapters planned out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Red
post Mar 6 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Ok everybody, I havn't updated in a week or so (get off my back, I have a life you know tongue.gif ) but don't think for a second I havn't been working. Editing, writting, push-ups, squats, medicine balls, bench pressing, weight-lifting, cardio-vascular excersises, kayaking, I was really trying to complete some chapters. Anyways, I have written a new chapter that does nothing except disrupt the flow of the story. Its really poorly written and you'll probably stop reading after three sentences, as it is covered with spelling mistakes and characters who seem thrown in at the last minute. Or atleast thats my thoughts on what a rough draft is tongue.gif . Bon appetite.

When I opened the door, a beautifully decorated hallway was revealed to me. It was decorated with potted plants and paintings that were more than art, and a window on either side of the wide hallway. “Good” I thought to myself, “maybe I won’t have to talk myself out of this terrible, terrible mess”. I started walking towards the window to my right, and then sped up. I kept going a little faster with each step until running was the only higher level. I got to the end, about 5 feet away from the window, where two hallways intersect. I noticed the weather outside. Snow covered the ground and tall, cluttered Pine Trees grew seemingly everywhere. Ortei couldn’t possibly have rode a cart all the way to here from where I lived. I put my arm out to reach the handle as I got closer, when a stranger’s voice ruined my escape. “Massera, you weren’t planning on opening a window were you? Its freezing outside” A Khajiit no doubt. I turned and examined her. She was short, skinny and dressed in what appeared to be a maid’s outfit. “Uh, no, I was just checking if someone had fixed the handle, for it was loose yesterday” I lied, but for my own good. Questions I wanted to ask ran through my mind, but I doubted they would tell a maid anything I wanted to know. “Lunch is almost ready sera, you should join us” she had a sweet, sincere voice that made me certain she wasn’t in on this. “What are we having?” I asked, and was answered promptly. “Sheep steak with a side of imported scuttle to be mashed. We will also be having comberry jam as an early dessert” she smiled and walked off, and I knew she had convinced me. I walked around the hallways for a few minutes, trying to find the dining hall, but seemed to find everything but it. The bathrooms, the cooking area, the training room, the armoury, even the storage locker were found before I heard the distinct sound of a large group of people talking and eating. I readied myself to go in, for I wasn’t about to give up a free, delicious meal.

I rehearsed the lines I was sure would have them accept me for lunch, and took a deep breath. I opened the door slowly, and was hit with my worst fear. No one was paying attention to me. “This isn’t how the plan was to work” I thought, standing frozen and dumbfounded. Everyone was just sitting around the table, eating the appetizers already set out. I decided to speak, but my mouth closed shut the second I opened it. “Oh Azura please get me out of this one” I thought, which was useless. Few gods reign over awkward situations, not even those barbaric Imperial ones. Just when I was ready to fall over dead, a Bosmeri man approached me. Oh thank whatever strange wood elf god has saved me. “I am sorry for making you stand for a seat sir, please follow me to your seat” by please follow me to your seat, he of course meant to say “please let me rudely grab your arm and drag you to a seat between two Nords who likely eat bones for breakfast”, for that is what he did. Oh my lords did Bosmer get on my nerves. I’m not racist or anything, but they always have a cheap smile plastered on their faces that go great with their ugly personalities.

I sat down and stared at the full plate in front of me. A beautiful salad with luscious green lettuce, a cornucopia of fruits and vegetables and a delicious dressing. I expected an appetizer or two, but this was what I could only dream of in an ugly province like this. Why was it like a dream? Probably because it was the meal I deserved. I looked to either side of me and was amazed. Everyone was discussing politics and local events, and everyone, including the three Orcs and four Nords, were eating as politely as a king. I picked up the salad fork to my left, and started eating slowly, as to savour the taste. Most of the people at the table were done before I started my food, but I was perfectly fine with that as they would be served the main course and I could have time to say “Can I have my steak done like that?” or “oh, that looks like too much Scuttle for me”.

I sat eating and listening, and halfway through a delicious piece of lettuce the High Elf across from me, with a voice that screamed confidence, spoke. “Did Ortei fill you in on all of the specifics of our wonderful organization?” he waited for an answer, and I almost choked trying to gulp down the food in my mouth as to keep him from waiting. “Not exactly, but I know about how you fix the evils of the world Mr.?” he looked at me when I said evil, as if it was an alien word. “We do not use words such as good and evil in this place. Actually, ban it from your vocabulary. We believe that there are sides and a medium, not good and evil, as it is ineffective. We have ideals and thoughts, and the other side has ideals and thoughts. To us, they may be the evil invading conquerors, to them; we may be the evil godless rebels. Its all about views. Oh, and the name is Caneyelle.” That was something that has stayed with me throughout my life. “Ahh, that is quite the belief there. Interesting, it is foreign, but so true. I have a question though. Are there reasons other than spiritual fulfilment (a thing an Imperial Cult recruiter once promised me) that may lead me into your beautiful order?” I asked, and was surprised by his answer. “Of course. We are not promising the moons and stars, but we are will give you what you need and what you deserve. You need housing? You have it. Need Septems? You got them. Need a beautiful lunch and a contract so you can sign up? It’ll be here as soon as you’re done the appetizer. Your wish is granted” he smiled and ate the last piece of sheep steak, thus finishing the lunch on his part.

The main course was on its way as I finished my salad, and I can honestly say it was indescribable. I had never had scuttle that was so good, and when I lived in Morrowind, every meal came with this side dish. I talked with some of the others enjoying the main course, and they’re conversation was so elegant that I forgot completely about the kidnapping. I can see why so many people had joined this intriguingly strange group because I would join just for the conversation. I finished the food and it was promptly taken away from me and replaced with a Comberry jam. As I moved a small spoon into the dish and brought it to my mouth, Caneyelle put a contract in front of me along with a small, capped ink well and a feather pen. I finished the dish and read the contract at least thirty times, making sure that I wasn’t signing up for the Imperial army or as a future project for a Necromancy cult. I signed seven times and when I was done, Caneyelle stamped the paper with a thud, which nearly scared the ash off my skin. People cheered and clapped, because apparently stamping forms was popular in this region.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Taillus
post Mar 7 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #16

Knower
Group Icon

I am so glad you have a future planned for this work Red. I was scared when everyone was saying how you better finish this one making me think that it might not get a chance to get off the ground but I am so glad that you already have ideas for future chapters. Now I can enjoy it without fear of it suddenly vanishing without a trace.

--------------------
“Worry not, young Breton. This will be over very quickly but I wish I could say that it would be painless. You will suffer greatly before you join the countless other souls that fuel my power.” - Taillus
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Mar 7 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Ah, an update. It was a good one. The high elf had some very good lines.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 7 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Just a quick nod to let you know that I think this is a great story. I haven't had a chance to read everything yet, but I sure do like what I have seen so far. The concept of balancing lives, actions, events- brilliantly depicted.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Sirin
post Mar 13 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #19

Evoker

The High Elf's philosophy was a typical one, if I do say so myself, but this only added to the story. keep going, Red. I'm intrigued.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Red
post Mar 16 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

Okay, updating time. I have written about five updates worth of material that needs to be edited, re-edited, re-re-edited and then read over three times, so that will be trickeling around here slowly and steadily. In the meantime, rough edit update time! Enjoy and get ready for action, intrigue, plot-twists and romance (probably not, actually, but we'll see what the future holds tongue.gif) in the future.

The rest of the day was quite strange. Caneyelle had me follow him room to room and explained its purpose, but briefly as if he too thought the tour was almost useless. He answered my questions about certain books in the library and other such unimportant facts, but would not get into much detail. When something was too touchy, like how does someone go about balancing the world, he either said it was unimportant at the time or I would learn very soon. This scared me, as I am the kind of guy who avoids running into things blindly. He walked me down the last hall and through a thick, wooden door that creaked loudly as it opened. The room inside was quite large, with a soft, feather bed, a table and six seats, numerous cupboards, three chests and some small metal boxes with keys sitting on top. “This is your room newcomer, it has space for sleeping and sitting and many chests and such to store your loot and plunder. I am down the hall, the door with the large C on the front if you need me, but other than that I really don’t think there is anything else you need other than these” he passed me two papers and a package, all covered in familiar stamps and handwriting. He left and I sat down on one of the seats at my table and read the first note. It had neat handwriting in the blank spaces and I could tell this was done with a printing press and not by hand. The first note read:

Dear newcomer

You have joined this organization under Ortei Draen and Caneyelle, who believe that your skills in smithing, knowledge of weapons and general intelligence can help the Balance. Please find in the connected package, if you have been given one, a thousand Septems, a pain of leather gloves and two restore endurance potions .

Additional notes: Page two is a mission briefing so read it a few times over. I want you to get the mission done independently as otherwise, how could we trust you? Good luck and Godspeed. From the office of Laegus Hawkherd.

I was flattered with the general intelligence remark, and that he would give me so many Septems for a mission, but leather gloves? Am I to choke someone? I picked up the second page and was amazed.

Your first mission is quite peculiar to say the least. It will seem to be a simple task, but you will see how simple tasks unfold. We need you to infiltrate an illegal fist-fighting arena in the city of Wayrain. See? Told you it would be peculiar. Now, we do not care that is illegal (nor do the authorities in Wayrain), but that a certain person has been placing large bets and willing. He has accumulated tens of thousands of Septems in possibly rigged games, and even the underworld needs to be balanced justly. Now, we do not want you to hurt or kill him, so you should gain his respect and then work from there. You would be best to join the arena and use those strong Smithing arms to fight your way to respect. After that, its your decision.

On the one thousand Septems, they are to reward your decision to join and to help you on your first mission. Travel the roads west from here (Ravenrest, by the way) to Skull Drop, a small outpost and village. Then travel to the city of Wayrain by foot. Get directions when you get to Skull Drop, as I have never travelled as far north as Wayrain, as I have little interest in the once Nordic parts of Cyrodiil. Ask the night life locals about the fighting ring, as the guards will be cautious of you if you go around talking of illegal activities.

That is all you need to know, or at least all I want to tell you. Now rest up and ready yourself for the mission. You leave tomorrow on horseback without guide and must follow an ancient road west to Skull Drop, so getting lost will be easy.

Caneyelle

Well that’s great I thought, I leave tomorrow to do a deed for an organization I barely understand and joined because I like the food and talk. And worst of all, I’m a budding fist-fighter. I do have the strength, intelligence and quick thinking for it, but this is so soon and so strange. Well, at least I’ll be doing something other than boring smithing, the job I was forced into by my family. Hmm, family, they don’t even know where I am, why I’m there, what I’m doing or why I’m doing it. Also, no big dumb bosses are making me forge swords that often aren’t used for fighting, and no co-worker constantly going on about his stupid girlfriend. I smiled and dressed into my sleeping attire (AKA took off my shirt, shoes, socks and pants) and climbed into bed. For the first time in a long time, I dreamed.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:27 PM