Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Want to know more than most modern cosmologists?, CLICK HERE!
DoomedOne
post Jul 11 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Thunderbolts of the Gods

When ancient myths and modern cosmology combine into one fluid, easily understood model of the universe. Black holes and dark matter? Not real.

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 12 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

Seemed pretty interesting and is certainly making me question just about every science class I've taken. It does seem pretty simple, but at the same time I know even less about electricity than I do about cosmology, so I'll have to educate myself on the science of electricity before I can be sure.

EDIT: I just realized that I typed "cosmetology" instead of "cosmology". I feel really dumb. Oh well.

This post has been edited by Dantrag: Jul 12 2008, 05:38 PM

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Pisces
post Jul 12 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

I got bored watching it because it is painfully slow, and the first 12 minutes were really misleading, they were trying show resemblances with all these things which don't look very similiar, I think they proved my point a few times by mixing unrelated objects together, like the guys face with the statue, and one squickle fitted in with another statue even though it wasn't supposed to. All the accidental fade overs looked more similiar than the purposeful ones. Not to mention they said there were all these common symbols across all unconnected regions, like a circle, then they showed a bunch of symbols which looked similiar...the problem was, all their Celic crosses ones were for Judaist countries, and most of their funny circle sticks were from American countries, etc.
+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post Jul 12 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Yeah when they have people talking and then show images they are definitely misrepresenting those images, but they weren't misleading them. Those were Celtic crosses, as well as judaic.

I have this book called, "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" by Manly P Hall which contains a lot of the symbols and their actual sources, but if you got bored watching this, that book will make your eyes bleed, it was written back in the 20s.

Anyway the whole point of those symbols was to show that early human being saw a completely different night sky than we do today, one where the charged particles made a much brighter display. It's not necessarily important if some of the similarities between their beliefs seem a bit far fetched.

This post has been edited by DoomedOne: Jul 13 2008, 12:19 AM

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 13 2008, 01:06 AM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

I found the part about electricity being the primary force at work in the universe rather than gravity to be more interesting than the stuff about ancient mythology.

--------------------
+Quote Post
bbqplatypus
post Jul 13 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #6

Finder
Group Icon

Hmm...interesting. I think it's all a load of guardung, but it's interesting nonetheless. It made me think, which to me made it worth watching.
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jul 13 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #7

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(DoomedOne @ Jul 12 2008, 11:28 PM) *

Yeah when they have people talking and then show images they are definitely misrepresenting those images, but they weren't misleading them. Those were Celtic crosses, as well as judaic.

I have this book called, "The Secret Teachings of All Ages" by Manly P Hall which contains a lot of the symbols and their actual sources, but if you got bored watching this, that book will make your eyes bleed, it was written back in the 20s.

Anyway the whole point of those symbols was to show that early human being saw a completely different night sky than we do today, one where the charged particles made a much brighter display. It's not necessarily important if some of the similarities between their beliefs seem a bit far fetched.

Well, "Secret Teachings of All Ages" isn't really supposed to be read cover to cover like that, it's more of a reference book to dip in and out of. He wrote a companion book to that, called "Lectures on Ancient Philosophy: Companion to The Secret Teachings of All Ages" which are transcripts of lectures he gave. The conversational tone throughout that is much easier to read in a conventional way. There are also plenty of his lectures available on mp3 format, for those auditory learners amongst us smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 13 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, I just found out that the class I'm just starting has a chapter on electricity, so I may come back to this thread in a week or two.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jul 13 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

The 'science' here has far too many flaws. Interstellar space isn't 'teeming' with particles, and the relative strength of gravity to electromagnetic forces is far more complex than a simple scaler (and stronger with respect to what anyway?). Also almost every body in the universe, by virtue of the massivly higher density of strength of the electromagnetic force, is almost uncharged and thus doesn't interact electromagnetically with other large objects.

"It is possible the predominant force in the universe is not gravity" - is entirly a matter of scale. In the nucleus of an atom graity is more or less nothing - the strong force being predominant, in a solar system its everything.

And comets simply are made of ice - there a clear absorbsion band corresponding to water in their tails.

They fail to say why the cosmos would have changed in the last few thousand years given its age. Also if it has changed why did it change in such a way that it went out suddenly on earth? The light we see it by travels at lightspeed so when we look at distant things we see them as they were millions of years ago.

They have a lot of people saying how it all fits together but fail to provide any actual evidence.

And that was the first ten minutes. I'm not convinced.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
bbqplatypus
post Jul 13 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #10

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Olen @ Jul 13 2008, 05:26 PM) *

The 'science' here has far too many flaws. Interstellar space isn't 'teeming' with particles, and the relative strength of gravity to electromagnetic forces is far more complex than a simple scaler (and stronger with respect to what anyway?). Also almost every body in the universe, by virtue of the massivly higher density of strength of the electromagnetic force, is almost uncharged and thus doesn't interact electromagnetically with other large objects.

"It is possible the predominant force in the universe is not gravity" - is entirly a matter of scale. In the nucleus of an atom graity is more or less nothing - the strong force being predominant, in a solar system its everything.

And comets simply are made of ice - there a clear absorbsion band corresponding to water in their tails.

They fail to say why the cosmos would have changed in the last few thousand years given its age. Also if it has changed why did it change in such a way that it went out suddenly on earth? The light we see it by travels at lightspeed so when we look at distant things we see them as they were millions of years ago.

They have a lot of people saying how it all fits together but fail to provide any actual evidence.

And that was the first ten minutes. I'm not convinced.

Yeah - the only reason I kept watching in spite of that was because I was EXPECTING to find flaws. I like looking into pseudoscientific hokum like this - I feel it strengthens my mind and gives me clearer knowledge of the way the universe ACTUALLY works via the conclusions I reach using critical thinking.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2024 - 04:38 AM