Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mod restartitis, Cross-infection from the game itself?
ghastley
post Nov 3 2018, 02:20 AM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Nov 2 2018, 05:05 PM) *

Here I thought this thread was about constantly redoing your mod list like I'm guilty of. I mod more than I play lol.

I need to check out your mods, man. They look fun.

There are plenty to choose from. I have 29 mods at the Nexus (but some are duplicates for both Skyrim editions), and a few that didn't get that far, but are playable. That includes one for Daggerfall.

They don't generally get a lot of downloads, because I make you work for your fun, like the Hearthfire mods that let you build your own Orc Stronghold, Argonian underwater home, Khajiit wagon, Bosmer vine-draped cave, or Dremora ruined tower. Most folk can't be bother building anything, they just want it ready-made.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Nov 3 2018, 02:38 AM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 2 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #22

Councilor
Group Icon

Bump, just to remind myself what needs doing - still!

Orc Wise Woman for the Orc Hearthfires Mod. just needs some more scripting of the Dibella shrine, and the NPC recruitment added back from the steward logic in the original Hearthfires. Hunter, guard and smith arranged via WW in the same way that bard and driver were - with a bit more complexity to let the player choose gender. Needs a Voice Actor for Yarob, which obviously is the last part, as dialog is in flux until all the quests are done.

Succubus mod needs a lot more clutter added, and packaging. I may have a beta soon, which I'll port to SE, too. It may never appear on Nexus, as I'm getting a bit tired of entitled users there. Lacks voice acting for the Daedric Duo, anyway. I'm running it without, but a public release would need it.

A review of the Thieves Guild expansion to see if it could be done without any new dialog.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 6 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

I am assuming you take notes for a lot of things you make? Post those notes here, explaining how you made them. biggrin.gif Even though I take my own notes for my own computer, posting them here helps me stay a lot more focused. I have to go through them more thoroughly, which makes them even more error-free.

Plus, if you post your methodologies here, some nooby like me can learn more stuff. wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 6 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 2 2020, 02:30 PM) *

Succubus mod needs a lot more clutter added, and packaging. I may have a beta soon, which I'll port to SE, too. It may never appear on Nexus, as I'm getting a bit tired of entitled users there. Lacks voice acting for the Daedric Duo, anyway. I'm running it without, but a public release would need it.

I made a start on converting this to SE, so Saki can test, but it's not going well.

The hair the succubi all wear has issues with textures. The normal map is not working, and the diffuse map is off. This is likely an effect of having o re-optimize nif's for the SE version.

Only half of the furniture animations work. A fresh install of FNIS made no difference.

I need to update the game and SKSE and get them in sync to use the XPMSSE skeleton, and if they don't jiggle, most of the point of the mod goes away. This could fix the animation issue, too.

Many of the scripts need recompiling on the SE release, and tracking them all down is a pain, even with a naming convention in place. The one on the pillory where Greta is imprisoned causes a crash whenever it's activated, which may again be a SKSE64 issue.

----

@Renee When I have a coherent explanation of a modding topic, I tend to post it on my own site and put a link here, which does easily get overlooked. For example

How to make Hearthfires mods

How furniture and idles work

My style is not a walk-through of what I did, as I prefer to explain how things work, rather than just say "do this and trust me". That does sometimes hold me back from posting, if I'm uncertain that I have a complete understanding. And again, sometimes I don't believe how something works, and it turns out to be a Bethesda error that just didn't get fixed, and they worked around it. An example of that is the revolving doors that are always installed upside-down, because the animations are wrong.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 6 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

I'll check out ghastley.org then. Maybe there's some stuff I can learn from there. Because you see, me not being as experienced as you, I'm always interested in reading modding stuff, especially quest stuff. Whenever I get some idea for a new quest mod especially, usually my idea goes beyond my learning. mad.gif Which means I'll then have to turn to tutorials online. And guess what? Most of these tutorials (if they even exist) are on YouTube!

So let's say I have an idea, and hit some sort of roadblock. Bethesda's Creation Kit website or the Construction Set site don't have the info I need; I might literally be forging new territory. So I'll literally Google my idea, just to see what else is out there. Most of what I get are YT tutorials. Maybe I already know 90% of what the tutorial teaches, right? indifferent.gif Do I really want to sit through the entire tutorial looking for that remaining 10%? Chances are, the YouTube video hasn't got what I'm looking for, anyway.

So that's why I like typing material, and typing it here, where I can easily find it. My memory is horrible. I can't always remember what I did in the past. My Notepad notes are scattered and hard for me to read sometimes. And maybe there's some random modder out there who is totally stuck, and is also looking for the info I'm posting.

Edit: WHOA you've got some good stuff on your own site! Nicely done.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 6 2020, 04:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 7 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

I hate video tutorials, because the author sets the pace, and sequence. I prefer text ones (with pictures) so that I can go back and re-read sections easily, and skip over stuff I already know.

Is there stuff that anyone wants help with that I have done, but not explained? Usually I only produce a tutorial if I needed one myself, but couldn't find one, but I'm open to doing a few more.

Given my experiences recently with converting the Diablo Succubus mod to SE, I'll probably do one on how to fix the possible errors in converting. I suspect that most of my problems come from doing thing in the wrong sequence, but "start again and do it in the right order" isn't always best. I hope to write up something on how to recognize the problems, why they happen, and how to fix them.

It doesn't help that some parts of the SE CK are buggy. Doing too many FaceGen saves at once corrupts them, for example. I got a face paint added to all mine, and had to re-do them in smaller batches, or individually.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jan 7 2020, 05:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 7 2020, 05:46 PM
Post #27

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm with you, ghastley on much preferring text (with pictures if appropriate) for instruction instead of vids - for exactly the same reasons.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 28 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

I hope all my old notes are enough for me to pick it all back up again. The constraints of ESO ae making my itch to take control with another Skyrim mod, so I may pick up making Severin Manor a Hearthfires (re)build.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 15 2022, 09:06 PM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

I just started a review of which incomplete mods were close enough to be usable in their current state. For example the Red Witch was complete enough to use as a player home. But a few of them are not working the way they did when I put them on hold. In particular, the dancer and her musicians in the New Dragon Club have stopped doing their animations.

It will probably turn out to be the combination of mods loaded, but I am having issues with trying to track down the last working save. I have about forty different Bash profiles to hunt through, and hundreds of saves. Anyone know of any tools that could help? I most likely do not have a conflict, but a dependency I did not think existed, so I end up looking for a missing mod in the active list. It may have even been something of mine I deleted.

Edit: I changed the AI packages from TravelanduseIdle to plain Travel, and replaced the idle markers with XMarkerHeading. So now the package specifies the idle used, not the target marker. That fixed the musicians, and the dancer is probably an FNIS issue. So now I suspect that Steam delivered me a new bug during an update. Moving on …

Edit: I discovered that animation event names are no longer permitted to contain an underscore. Fixed that and the dancer is back in action. Actually, that is not precisely true. There are defined suffixes, such as _Entry and _Exit, that use the underscore. The restriction is probably because of parsing off those.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 6 2022, 01:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 13 2024, 07:54 PM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

I may be having a relapse. I started designing a new Hearthfires mod in Apocrypha - Build Your Own Library.

Starts you in an Entryway reached by a Black Book, and you can build a Main Hall and a selection of wings from there. Doors between rooms are more portal books, like the chapter ones, so the wings don’t have to exist in the same place like the Skyrim ones, and they’ll be easier for me to construct. Housecarl is a librarian, of course.

Trying to come up with furnishings for which ruined books are needed. blink.gif

All materials are gathered off-site, but that is not new. No need to change recipes for regular furnishings, but a few unique ones should be added. Mora shrine with a blessing is one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 13 2024, 09:15 PM
Post #31

Paladin
Group Icon

Is there Apocraphobia Apocrypha in Skyrim?

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 13 2024, 09:58 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 13 2024, 03:15 PM) *

Is there Apocraphobia Apocrypha in Skyrim?

Dragonborn DLC. Black Books send you there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 18 2024, 04:32 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

It's a lot creepier and more claustrophobic than the ESO version, too.

Been playing Skyrim and revisiting old memories - and horrors, too.

Though my newest toon does not share the same aversion for Dwemer ruins/mechs as Alise does, she does have the heebie jeebies when it comes to Falmer.

And we've got Forgotten Vale coming up!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 27 2024, 04:41 AM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

I will have to post a tutorial when I get the Black book working. I took a look at the only other mod that I could find that adds one, and they did it all wrong. You can’t simply replace a vanilla script, or anyone else doing it wipes out yours, by replacing the same one. On the positive side, I did borrow some of the layout of their place, although I replaced so much it’s hard to find.

Another tutorial may cover carrying animations. I want to have a waitress carry a tray of drinks around, instead of just standing in one place (for a different mod), and I want my Librarian to carry some books.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:09 AM