Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bosmer Hearthfires?, Little Treehouse of Horrors
Acadian
post Jul 24 2016, 03:13 AM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

Looks great, ghastley! goodjob.gif

I quite like the network of vines and leaves that close off the front of the cave.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 25 2016, 01:26 AM
Post #22

Councilor
Group Icon

So Wizwen has done it all with magic. Hunting deer with firebolts is easier than with a bow.

Actually she hasn't done it all, because she doesn't need the blacksmith equipment, so she didn't make any of that. She did all her smelting, material-making etc. at Shor's Stone before going to the site.

Wizwen in her new home - you can tell she's a mage by her satchel. tongue.gif

Wizwen outside her home.

And if anyone wants to try it so far - BosmerHF 0.1. The build quest does not end, so it will sit in your Miscellaneous list incomplete. You can build everything that exists so far, but if I add any new stuff, it will mean a restart. So don't use anything but a disposable character.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jul 25 2016, 02:32 AM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 25 2016, 02:48 AM
Post #23

Paladin
Group Icon

Oh, I hope to see more of Wizwen. . . whistling.gif

And I love her little mage satchel. Buffy's got one of those too!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 25 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 23 2016, 09:49 PM) *

I loaded up Enilwen's game, as she has the smithing skill to make just about any kind of arrow, and she posed for the banner image.

Bosmer Hearthfires

Of course, Stray Dog wanted to get into it, too. I haven't taken pictures of the interior yet, as I still have more stuff to make, when I decide what it is. The two pots you can see through the doorway are re-textured urns from the nord ruins. I just used the texture from a regular pot, and they look great.

Making the arrows has meant that this mod will be dependent on Dawnguard, as well as Hearthfires. That DLC introduces the constructible arrows, and I didn't want to duplicate that definition. The recipe using bone is new, and you'll get two ways to make arrows now, with wooden or bone shafts. A Bosmer will naturally only use bone.

Those pots look gorgeous!

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 24 2016, 08:26 PM) *

So Wizwen has done it all with magic. Hunting deer with firebolts is easier than with a bow.

Actually she hasn't done it all, because she doesn't need the blacksmith equipment, so she didn't make any of that. She did all her smelting, material-making etc. at Shor's Stone before going to the site.

Wizwen in her new home - you can tell she's a mage by her satchel. tongue.gif

Wizwen outside her home.

And if anyone wants to try it so far - BosmerHF 0.1. The build quest does not end, so it will sit in your Miscellaneous list incomplete. You can build everything that exists so far, but if I add any new stuff, it will mean a restart. So don't use anything but a disposable character.

I'll bet Shor's Stone was happy to see her there smelting! I'm having trouble downloading to my laptop right now, so will def be waiting till it is finished and hope I can get the laptop fixed by then.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 26 2016, 02:52 AM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

Had an idea for furniture - take a pair of Mammoth tusks, stick them in the ground, and sling a hide between for a seat.

Like this - (the strips are currently photoshopped in, will be modeled soon.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 26 2016, 03:08 AM
Post #26

Paladin
Group Icon

Oh, that is a great idea! Would the same concept help in making a tanning rack?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 26 2016, 03:09 AM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 25 2016, 09:52 PM) *

Had an idea for furniture - take a pair of Mammoth tusks, stick them in the ground, and sling a hide between for a seat.

Like this - (the strips are currently photoshopped in, will be modeled soon.)

That looks Awesome!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 26 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jul 25 2016, 10:08 PM) *

Oh, that is a great idea! Would the same concept help in making a tanning rack?

For the smithing equipment I'm planning to just replace logs/sticks with bones. I.e. lumpy ends, and a texture change. The recipes just specify "bone" so you don't need to kill a mammoth to make a forge, even though only theirs would be big enough. Tusks can be mined at Halted Stream.

The main reason for the chair is to introduce the requirement for mammoth tusks and unprocessed hide as additional materials. Since I'm not using hinges and locks, it needs something in their place. I'd considered using Dwarven Metal, but didn't want to create Dwemer Hearthfires (yet?)

I daren't let Mzthlft know I'm even thinking about that. I left her happily "living" at Vlindrel Hall. laugh.gif

Edit: More thoughts - can't build an Apiary without wood, but a Bosmer would happily use honey from a beehive. Recipe for attracting wild bees to make their nest?

A knapsack could be made from leather, so could multiple knapsacks make a storage unit? Bookshelf replacement? Activate whole assembly to add/remove books, rather than individual knapsacks.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jul 26 2016, 05:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 28 2016, 03:09 AM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

I have a choice to make:

Chairs with a leather seat demonstrated by the lovely Wizwen, but don't let her influence your selection

or

Chairs with a hide seat

Preferences? The recipe would have leather or pelt as ingredient, accordingly.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 28 2016, 03:17 AM
Post #30

Paladin
Group Icon

Gosh they both look great and I still love the idea of the mammoth tusk frames. My preference would be for the leather. The brown seems more foresty and provides a bit more contrast to the ivory tusks.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 28 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

You captured a lot in your banner image! Looks great. Loved to see Enilwen’s dog looking so happy. happy.gif

Bone arrows are a great idea, and they give purpose to the bones you will continue to harvest from animals.

I think as long as you can build a bed and one storage container fairly early in the process, it will be feasible to live there while taking the time to gather materials and slowly finish it. Of course as you said, that won’t stop people from complaining.

I absolutely love the look of the green wall from the inside. This is really neat, ghastley!

Edit: I like both of the chairs, but like Acadian I prefer the brown seat for contrast and variety. Those chairs look awesome!

The best way I know to attract bees is to plant flowers. Can living plants be a constructable item? Harvesting plants goes against the idea of this whole Bosmer dwelling, but I suppose the resident elf would have to resist the temptation to pluck her bees' flowers!

This post has been edited by Grits: Jul 28 2016, 03:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 28 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jul 28 2016, 10:16 AM) *

The best way I know to attract bees is to plant flowers. Can living plants be a constructable item? Harvesting plants goes against the idea of this whole Bosmer dwelling, but I suppose the resident elf would have to resist the temptation to pluck her bees' flowers!

You've summed up the dilemma perfectly. I considered putting planters outside, but the HF mechanism for planting requires you to have a sample of the plant, which a Bosmer wouldn't gather directly. However, pre-harvested samples exist, so she could reasonably "rescue" those by planting them. Planters just use clay, so they're no problem in themselves.

And there's always the argument that planting seeds is doing the plant's work for them. Eating fruit can be seen the same way, and a Bosmer may only avoid eating leaves and roots. Is pruning beneficial? It all gets complicated.

I may remove straw as a bed material, and just go with more pelts. There's no stuffing material other than straw.

Changing recipes doesn't need a game restart / new character, but adding the chairs will, as that adds properties to the building quest that starts with the game (or at least as soon as the mod is added).

The new download will be there as soon as I have the interface models of the chairs (without the furniture markers etc.) created and defined. I won't wait for the bees/planters idea to settle, but be aware that will cause another property change and require a new character again.

----

More possible futures: Butter churn, cheese-making (smaller version of giants' mammoth equipment). These require a source of milk, which may not have to be your own cow, if you can buy from farms that have one, or from general stores.

I'd also like to restrict the cookpot to Bosmer-approved foods - not including root veggies, leeks, garlic but all cooked meats and fruits (including tomato, gourd, berries). Flour may be OK, too, so baking could be added, or soups thickened without potato.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jul 28 2016, 04:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 28 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 27 2016, 10:09 PM) *

I have a choice to make:

Chairs with a leather seat demonstrated by the lovely Wizwen, but don't let her influence your selection

or

Chairs with a hide seat

Preferences? The recipe would have leather or pelt as ingredient, accordingly.

The leather in the first screen is a bit pink on my browser, is that just my view of it? If it is pink, can it be more brown - and like a bit darker brown color? I like the fur too; but agree with Acadian that the contrast of brown against the ivory of the tusks does add some appeal.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 28 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 28 2016, 02:10 PM) *

The leather in the first screen is a bit pink on my browser, is that just my view of it? If it is pink, can it be more brown - and like a bit darker brown color? I like the fur too; but agree with Acadian that the contrast of brown against the ivory of the tusks does add some appeal.

Those used the existing leather (material created at tanning rack) texture, and the first of the floor pelts' texture. There are two other pelt textures that are more brown, and I can adjust the leather one to less pink, so anything is possible.

The first question is pilose or glabrous? (Hair or not?) That determines if the recipe specifies a pelt or tanned leather. I'm leaning to tanned, as that requires an extra step, and involves the player more in making it.

The model image I posted first used the Sabre-cat pelt texture, which is browner than the Sabre-cat itself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 28 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 28 2016, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 28 2016, 02:10 PM) *

Those used the existing leather (material created at tanning rack) texture, and the first of the floor pelts' texture. There are two other pelt textures that are more brown, and I can adjust the leather one to less pink, so anything is possible.

The first question is pilose or glabrous? (Hair or not?) That determines if the recipe specifies a pelt or tanned leather. I'm leaning to tanned, as that requires an extra step, and involves the player more in making it.

The model image I posted first used the Sabre-cat pelt texture, which is browner than the Sabre-cat itself.

Well, if it was a leathery brown, I'd like that better due to the contrast with the ivory tusks and fur rug. I'm not big on the pink, that is all. But I also like very much the look of the fur seats; they just don't provide contrast in that screen; and contrast is appealing.

But say if you set two chairs outside the cave and had no white rug near them; they would look awesome contrasting the green and browns outside.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 28 2016, 08:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 29 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

Chairs now have brown leather seats, and I fixed the texture on the strips, too (no vertex colours) so they match the seats.

I was looking at adding a cheese-making station using a scaled-down version of the one giants use for mammoth cheese. But it might get a bit weird. The game has Eidar and Goat cheeses (i.e. 'blue' and yellow) so I'd need to add goat's milk distinct from cow's to support that. Without an additional mod, the game doesn't have milking, so jugs of milk need to be bought (from innkeepers!) This may not happen.

I may just add a beehive close to the den, and not have the player do anything to create it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 29 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 29 2016, 11:26 AM) *

Chairs now have brown leather seats, and I fixed the texture on the strips, too (no vertex colours) so they match the seats.

I was looking at adding a cheese-making station using a scaled-down version of the one giants use for mammoth cheese. But it might get a bit weird. The game has Eidar and Goat cheeses (i.e. 'blue' and yellow) so I'd need to add goat's milk distinct from cow's to support that. Without an additional mod, the game doesn't have milking, so jugs of milk need to be bought (from innkeepers!) This may not happen.

I may just add a beehive close to the den, and not have the player do anything to create it.

I really wanted to include cow milking to that mod I never finished too, are there idles in mods for it? What I ended up doing was just making bottles of milk out of wine bottles; just changing the textures. Very unsatisfactory to me, wished I'd been able to do a better job on it. When I stopped working on the mod I had been trying to bring a Fallout 3 milkjug over to Skyrim, rollinglaugh.gif

You have the most awesome ideas to make your mods fun; it always makes me dying to know what ideas you never bring to the mods that you post; but that you put in your own personal game !!! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 29 2016, 06:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 30 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #38

Councilor
Group Icon

Bosmer Hearthfires version 0.2

This looks reasonably stable. I'm not sure what, if anything, will be added, but unless it's new constructible items, lit won't need a new game. Right now, the only thing I 'd expect is a wild beehive.

Doc is here

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jul 30 2016, 12:03 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 30 2016, 12:26 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 29 2016, 07:00 PM) *

Bosmer Hearthfires version 0.2

This looks reasonably stable. I'm not sure what, if anything, will be added, but unless it's new constructible items, lit won't need a new game. Right now, the only thing I 'd expect is a wild beehive.

Doc is here

Did you make both chairs for it? I noticed two chairs. I love that screen on the Doc page !!!! Awesome !!! I can't play it till I get my laptop fixed; but by then you will have probably stopped updating it as you think of things to add laugh.gif

Awesome, and Thank You !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 30 2016, 03:42 AM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

Another thought about planting food for the bees since the dirt planting spots look cultivated and farm-y, maybe some wild plants growing among the grass that are enabled through the bench instead? Sort of the way a chair appears, only with wildflowers. It could be a pollinator garden with a butterfly spawn thingy too, perhaps.

In Jerric’s Lakeview Manor mod I added a few flowers around the apiary so that it just looks like a meadow but not a garden, that’s what made me think of it for the Bosmer house.

I’m in for testing! Expect me to be slow, but you know I can’t resist a ghastley Hearthfires creation! biggrin.gif

Should I do Kyne’s Trials first before activating the mod in case of changes, or activate at the beginning of the game? This will be a new Bosmer character who will be a tribute to a barista at my local coffee shop who I swear is secretly a wood elf. They wear hats so I’ve never seen the tips of her ears!

Thank you, ghastley!

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:35 AM