2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conina the Hairdresser, becoming a mod
ghastley
post Oct 9 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Conversions from one game to another tend to be easier if you have the original blender, Maya or 3DS MAX files to start from.

However, that can cause problems with attribution when you publish a mod. For example this dress was adapted from a statue of Hebe mesh that Tamira also put into Oblivion/Skyrim as a static. I didn't work from her mod, but from the original blender file that we both downloaded from a free 3D site. We each made changes to the texture, in my case adding transparency for the dress, and in hers adding foliage, as she'd put a plant in Hebe's cup. So the results were independent, but if you see both together, the common origin is obvious.

To further confuse matters, we had the same model, but got it from different sites, where the author's names differed.

I can't remember which one it was, but I had a complaint on one of my Oblivion mods that I'd stolen a mesh from another game. Which was partially true, as it was one of mine in that game, too, but a group effort without our individual names/handles.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 9 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 5 2017, 12:41 PM) *

Making the hairdresser tools "wieldable" has been fun. The common knife and fork aren't weapons, just misc items, but they do have provision for blood decals in the nif's. Weapons have to have 1st person meshes (without scabbards) separate from the weapon mesh. Both have blood decal support. The first person mesh is a static, not a weapon, or a misc item. They all have collision boxes, so I've replaced the mesh in a dagger of appropriate size for now. That's giving me some issues with putting them down, as they don't lie flat or on the right side, or ...

The hairbrush is a particular problem, as the natural way to hold one is with the bristles facing inward, but when held in the left hand, they face out. This is because blades face down, rather than in/out. I'm trying to determine if left/right weapons are supported. Spells, which don't need to act differently, do come in left and right varieties, and I haven't figured out why.

Don't they have a rolling pin weapon? Maybe that would work better than the dagger?

On the spells, I always thought it was destruction magic on the right hand and mysticism (or something) on the left; but in Skyrim you could do destruction magic with two hands, so I couldn't figure that out either.

Skyrim had so many quirks for modders, it was more frustrating to me than Oblivion ever was (but not as frustrating as Morrowind was imho, lol).

You mentioned the children and grandchildren thing on one of your posts = that was AWFUL! If you tried to alter anything already in the game, you couldn't (or rather, I couldn't) undo the way that THEY had it set up. They had balloons in the void outside the interior cells (that made sure everything went back to where it had been originally on loading into that cell). So everything I did got screwed on loading into the cell. I tried deleting stuff from the balloons, and that really messed things up; had to scrap the mod and start over.

And there are some with invisible children. I completely wiped clean a structure and copy/pasted it on the other side of the map; but the empty structure brought with it some kind of spawn of assassins. So whenever I got into my new house in game, assassins would appear and attack me. And I scrub-searched that house till I found the spawn and deleted it; only to have it reset itself the next time I loaded it in.

I kind of learned that you HAVE to make your own stuff from scratch in Skyrim; at least I did because I couldn't undo Bethesda's locked down way of keeping modders from being able to alter things to suit themselves. (and as you probably already know about me, I didn't like a messy dirty house, rollinglaugh.gif )

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 9 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 9 2018, 01:17 PM) *

Making the hairdresser tools "wieldable" has been fun. The common knife and fork aren't weapons, just misc items, but they do have provision for blood decals in the nif's. Weapons have to have 1st person meshes (without scabbards) separate from the weapon mesh. Both have blood decal support. The first person mesh is a static, not a weapon, or a misc item. They all have collision boxes, so I've replaced the mesh in a dagger of appropriate size for now. That's giving me some issues with putting them down, as they don't lie flat or on the right side, or ...

The hairbrush is a particular problem, as the natural way to hold one is with the bristles facing inward, but when held in the left hand, they face out. This is because blades face down, rather than in/out. I'm trying to determine if left/right weapons are supported. Spells, which don't need to act differently, do come in left and right varieties, and I haven't figured out why.

Don't they have a rolling pin weapon? Maybe that would work better than the dagger?

The main reason I used the dagger was that it had a clear single edge to the blade to show its orientation. The handles on the brush, comb, etc are flattened and would only be comfortable to hold one way. A rolling pin is radially symmetric, so you can't line things up very easily.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 9 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 9 2018, 01:17 PM) *

Conversions from one game to another tend to be easier if you have the original blender, Maya or 3DS MAX files to start from.

However, that can cause problems with attribution when you publish a mod. For example this dress was adapted from a statue of Hebe mesh that Tamira also put into Oblivion/Skyrim as a static. I didn't work from her mod, but from the original blender file that we both downloaded from a free 3D site. We each made changes to the texture, in my case adding transparency for the dress, and in hers adding foliage, as she'd put a plant in Hebe's cup. So the results were independent, but if you see both together, the common origin is obvious.

To further confuse matters, we had the same model, but got it from different sites, where the author's names differed.

I can't remember which one it was, but I had a complaint on one of my Oblivion mods that I'd stolen a mesh from another game. Which was partially true, as it was one of mine in that game, too, but a group effort without our individual names/handles.

I actually used Tamira's leafy version in my house in Skyrim and if I'm not mistaken = used one without the leaves and either in a see through dress or nude in my Crassius Curio Art Exhibit in Oblivion). If I can ever get into my laptop again I'll copy all my mods and screenshots and move them to my new PC.

By the way; my new PC is 64 bit. Can Oblivion even play on it? I've not been able to get it to play without crashing; and can't even use the CS anymore = it throws an error message and crashes too. I have them on my "E" drive; which for some reason the builder did not put program files (86) in. Should I try to reinstall it on the C drive program files (86)? (oops, sorry - off topic).

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 15 2017, 08:58 AM) *

I've started to gather the pieces together for a beta release. The stuff I added to the full version (which requires that you start a new game, because it changes the properties of the building quest) is cloned to the light version (which you can add to a game in-progress). I've started compiling the documentation - readme and wiki pages.

It will be for LE first, as you can convert up to SE, but not the other way. It will probably never see XBox1, as I'm losing patience with that crowd. Since I don't have one, it will just be for the versions I run.

I intend to provide Rincewind's hat and robe, and presets for both Nijel and Rincewind, as part of the package. Nijel works with hide gear plus iron helmet, without my making any special outfit for him. Neither would make a suitable NPC, as they were written to be combat-challenged, but you can play them any way you want.

---

Rincewind just did Hircine's quest (first time any player character of mine has done so). He spared the werewolf, as neither reward meant anything to him, and rings are light to carry.

---

I realised that Conina's outfits were built on the XPMSE skeleton (with all the extra jiggly bones) so they needed to be re-done without, or that would be an unnecessary pre-requisite. So one step back ...

BWAAAHAAA!!! How did I know Corina would have BBB? Lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 9 2018, 06:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 9 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

I don't ever install games in Program Files folders. I keep those for the OS itself, and install directly into a Games folder. I go a step further, and I have C:\Users re-directed to D:\Users, so the saves etc. go on that drive. That's because C is a SSD, with limited capacity compared with D being a good old spinning disk, with many times the space.

Separating Games means that permissions to save all-user settings etc. aren't the same level of access as updating the OS. Most games have the global option for all users separate form the per-user ones these days, but installing into the same library as Windows itself is a bad idea, anyway. You don't want Windows Update wiping out games by mistake.

32/64 operation isn't determined by which folders things load from. Those attributes are in the exe headers, and Windows isn't bad at running mixed-mode if a 32-bit program calls a 64-bit one or vice versa.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 9 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 18 2018, 11:53 AM) *

*snip*
I'll probably end up making an ESO add-on, and only then get back to earlier games.

WOO HOO !!! Like what?

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 30 2018, 07:54 PM) *

Finally flipped the switch and let this one loose on the Nexus..

The full mod needs a new game, and I expect that a lot will try to install it on top of a save at the exit from the starter dungeon, and wonder why it doesn't work.

The light version, where it all just appears into an empty small house, will still confuse many, as you have to open the console and type in the setstage command.

Put in a "Read Me?" (not that 98% of the users won't read it anyway, laugh.gif )

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 9 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 9 2018, 01:46 PM) *

I don't ever install games in Program Files folders. I keep those for the OS itself, and install directly into a Games folder. I go a step further, and I have C:\Users re-directed to D:\Users, so the saves etc. go on that drive. That's because C is a SSD, with limited capacity compared with D being a good old spinning disk, with many times the space.

Separating Games means that permissions to save all-user settings etc. aren't the same level of access as updating the OS. Most games have the global option for all users separate form the per-user ones these days, but installing into the same library as Windows itself is a bad idea, anyway. You don't want Windows Update wiping out games by mistake.

32/64 operation isn't determined by which folders things load from. Those attributes are in the exe headers, and Windows isn't bad at running mixed-mode if a 32-bit program calls a 64-bit one or vice versa.

Yes, my "C" drive is SSD as well; which is why I installed Oblivion on the "E" drive (and also in a "Games" folder; thanks to either you or SubRosa's instructions).

Oblivion worked fine on my laptop; (which was also 64 bit; but didn't have a separate drive, so the "Games" folder was still in the "C" drive).

But on this PC, I had the shop give me the split drives and put only the OS on the C drive where the SSD was; everything else I put on the "E" drive that had a larger (but regular) hard drive.

When I look in the "C" drive, there are program files (as there should be) - but when I look in the "E" drive, the only files there are the ones I've added = (Games, Minion, Teamspeak, ESO Backup, and Unreal Game Engine.

There are no program files at all on the "E" drive, and I wondered if that is why none of my old games have run since I switched to this PC? I thought there should be program files on both hard drive divisions; shouldn't there be?

I've wondered about that for years, but the only time it really makes me want to do something about it is when I want to play one of the Fallout games or pull out Oblivion; Skyrim; or one of their construction sets.

I have three drives on this PC; the C drive; (SSD) the D Drive (recovery) and the E drive; which is where I put everything like screenshots; games; tell apps to install; etc.

** I'd really like to know how to redirect the Users so downloads go to the E drive instead of me having to keep moving everything around, too.

*** Bold: Oh, that is good to know!

Oh gosh, Ghastley - I don't want to hijack your thread, sorry about that. embarrased.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 9 2018, 07:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 10 2018, 06:42 AM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 9 2018, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 9 2018, 01:17 PM) *

The main reason I used the dagger was that it had a clear single edge to the blade to show its orientation. The handles on the brush, comb, etc are flattened and would only be comfortable to hold one way. A rolling pin is radially symmetric, so you can't line things up very easily.

Ah. That might explain why my mod's kitchen weapons didn't work like I hoped, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:32 AM