3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diablo 1, Yes, it belongs here!
ghastley
post Nov 12 2018, 01:30 AM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I needed a break from ESO, so I put the Bzuumz mod together, and then looked around to see what other unfinished projects I had.

I got distracted. biggrin.gif

So I have no idea how this started, but somewhere along the chain I found a video of someone playing Diablo I on one of the deeper levels, where the mobs were all Knights and Succubi. I tried to install Diablo on my current machine under Win 7 and it won't give me anything but a black screen. To satisfy my need another way, I made a few Succubus characters in Skyrim instead. With the Draugr Overlords being a good match for Diablo's Knights, I may make myself a mod with a single-level dungeon just to be able to go there when the Diablo urge strikes again.

Succubus
Snow Witch
Hell Spawn
Soul Burner

Their wings are vestigial rigid things that just serve to help them balance. Without their weight, they'd probably fall forward. They have spells that send out a ball of destruction, a bit slower than a firebolt, and relatively easy to dodge. I intend to have them attack in numbers, like the Diablo ones did, and run away if you get close.

I'm looking for an appropriate tileset for the dungeon. The Diablo levels had bone everywhere, and impaled bodies for decoration. Skyrim one may have to use Volkihar pieces. I also need a good location for the entrance.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Oct 2 2019, 06:29 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 12 2018, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

You can play actual Diablo on Windows 7. Use the Diablo I HD Mod. It works on Windows 7, and plays in 1920 x 1080. You still need the original game to play it, and you need to copy the DIABDAT.MPQ file from your cd to the install folder on your hard drive. Then copy the mod to your install folder, and start it with Belzebub.exe.

It is not exactly the same as the original Diablo. Some things have been added, like the assassin and necromancer classes. Skills have been added too. It plays a maybe a bit more like Diablo II. It was fun going down memory lane with it for a while. Back in the day I spent a lot of time playing that game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 12 2018, 04:31 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

So
Much
Boobies

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 12 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 11 2018, 08:11 PM) *

You can play actual Diablo on Windows 7. Use the Diablo I HD Mod. It works on Windows 7, and plays in 1920 x 1080. You still need the original game to play it, and you need to copy the DIABDAT.MPQ file from your cd to the install folder on your hard drive. Then copy the mod to your install folder, and start it with Belzebub.exe.

It is not exactly the same as the original Diablo. Some things have been added, like the assassin and necromancer classes. Skills have been added too. It plays a maybe a bit more like Diablo II. It was fun going down memory lane with it for a while. Back in the day I spent a lot of time playing that game.

I gave that a quick test, and it does seem to work nicely. It would let me pick any of the registered resolutions for my display(s). I'll probably run windowed, as the extra space doesn't really get used. I just hope it doesn't distract me from building the mod.

---

Edit: Well, it did distract me a bit, but I've given the succubi their missing gloves, and spent some time poking around for a venue.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Nov 13 2018, 04:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 20 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

I placed an instance of the Solitude Temple of the Nine Eight (a mesh called "sNine") in the mountains between Valthume and Bilegulch Mine, and called it the Monastery of Dibella. I had a fun time getting a working door to the place, as the one available doorway turned out to be unused in its original location, and the collision mesh for the building blocked any door placed there from being activated. I had to add Bits&Pieces as a porch, to push the door far enough out to be usable. The interior just needed a few items removed, and some Dibella stuff added - mainly statues, shrine, basin from the Markarth one.

The route down to the undercroft is retained, but I'm hacking together a sequence of levels beneath it, from various sources, and making them non-linear, with side-branches from the main path to dead ends. It will copy the Diablo sequence of dressed stone crypt to cave-like catacombs, to bone-lined abyss. The enemies will be skeletons, and draugr, with maybe a few skeevers and other beasts, but not the goat men, golems etc. of the original. The lowest level will have the Succubi, draugr deathlords, and the boss will be an Andariel-like demon, based on my own Diablita (scaled up).

I'll build the main path first, and add the side ones later, so I can test out the idea before getting into too much effort. It's easy enough to replace a wall with a passage in the CK. I can steal clones of existing dungeons for much of it, which will also speed up the test.

I'm thinking that the quest to go down there will be started by a note left by one of the priestesses, who has gone missing. She'll have gone to find out why she was having strange dreams, and been "converted" to a Succubus. Maybe you'll free her, maybe she's too far gone. Reward will be a summon Succubus spell?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 24 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm having one of those "why doesn't it work?" moments. The boss is supposed to have a poison breath spell, implemented as a shout, like the Afflicted's poison spray, but she just won't use it. The spell is marked harmful etc. and the combat style has Shout weighted at max, but she persists in using her regular spell all the time.

There's a chain of objects from MagicEffect to Spell to Shout, and any one of them could have an error.

I thought I'd found an answer in the FormList that contains all the shouts, but it turns out that it's just used to check when the player uses one, for the "letter from a friend".

I think I may have seen the boss use the poison shout once, but I still can't get it up to being her standard opening salvo. However, the lesser succubi are behaving exactly the way I want, using their spells and backing off, with the player slowed so you can't chase. Ranged attack is a requirement against them.

I ripped the horns off the female iron helmet for the succubus mini-bosses to wear. They'll be slightly larger (1.2x) compared to the regular ones, but use the same kind of spells, and AI. They'll guard chests in the dead-end side-passages of the lowest level.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Nov 26 2018, 03:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 10 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

I did a bit more work on this at the weekend. There are a few more variety of horns for the mini-bosses, and I've established four levels of dungeon, even if some of those only have a single piece of their tileset in place.

First level below the Monastery is catacombs, using dressed stone walls - solitude jail pieces, leading to Imperial fort style. Mostly skeletons, skeevers etc. for enemies.

Second level will be mines - cut rock, rather than natural. Draugr, spiders.

Third is caves with Trolls, bears and who knows what. I want natural beast enemies, but there aren't many tough ones. They're also fixed-level, and the encounter zone thing needs something to level. It might have to be Falmer/chaurus.

Fourth goes to Nordic ruin, and starts introducing the daedric/succubus enemies. Dremora may start to replace draugr down here, and a few atronachs will roam.

Fifth will be a smaller one, lair of the main boss, with succubus and draugr entourage.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Dec 10 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

You'll have to share when it's done, sounds nifty.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 10 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Dec 10 2018, 01:05 PM) *

You'll have to share when if it's done, sounds nifty.

FTFY - I may have bitten off more than I'll manage to finish. Time will tell.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Dec 10 2018, 07:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Dec 11 2018, 12:01 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Haha! I know that feeling all too well.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 7 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

So far, I have:

Monastery, containing new statues of "Dibella with the big boobies", and some priestesses wearing outfits that show sympathy with that idea, from my own published mod. The building uses the Solitude temple, and is on the Reach border, near Valthume, and half buried in the cliff, so only one door is exposed. Fortunately the interior does not have pre-made doorways, so it can match. Side stairs lead to dormitory etc.

The crypt access leads down to an incomplete level of jail/imperial fort dungeon - all dressed stone stuff. I haven't yet cluttered, or added the enemies.

Mine, cave and catacomb levels consist only of a single 4-way hall section placed at 0,0, and are not connected up.

A fifth level lair containing Boss Succubus, four lesser succubi, and a few draugr. All are levelled. The door to this level gets connected to one in the level I'm building, so I can do a run-through any time. There's a chance that levels 2,3,4 might not get done before alpha test. Once I finish level 1 (crypt) I'll do level 4, as that will have the NPC you're rescuing for the quest. Boss in Level 5 will have key to her shackles. That will let me start making the quest.

No quest yet, but the outline is that you are asked to find the NPC, and given clues to location. Find her diary in the Monastery dorm for confirmation, then head down to get her. She's being turned into a succubus by Clavicus Vile, who promised her power over men. Defeat the locals, unlock her, and Azura, or Nocturnal, or both will help you reverse the process. Reward undecided.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 9 2019, 09:05 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Diablo had lava streams in the penultimate cave levels, but there's only lava in Dawnguard (and that only in the one dwarven ruin). I may have to clean-room some of my own, so this doesn't need to required DG. It appears that WaterType has provision for damage to the player when entered, but it's not obvious if that would make NPC's avoid it. It would likely need a custom texture, too.

ETA: I found that marking the underwater triangles of the nav-mesh as "deep water" was enough to stop the Succubi from wandering down there. I've made a simplified version of the Dawnguard lava mesh to use there, too. Water damage doesn't seem to be implemented at all, and the flag won't stay on in the editor.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jan 14 2019, 03:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 17 2019, 02:54 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Level 4 now consists of a small room containing Greta (the one you rescue) who is successfully locked into her pillory in the right posture. I need to tweak the positioning a little (adding a keyword to ensure proper scaling may be all I need). Greta has Gilda's face etc., but longer, darker hair. Whether that's part of her ongoing transformation is not yet certain.

Next step is to add a lot more nodes on that level to let me connect it up to the existing levels, and start developing the quest that ties it together. The hard part will be finding dialog that doesn't need additional voice acting. That's what often kills off my mod projects. The Hearthfires ones worked, because I could do all they needed by letters, and journals. This one will have a diary left behind by Greta, and there's some dialog from other quest that might become shared.

Levels 2 and 3 are still just one token node, and bypassed. I can test without them by connecting level 1 straight to level 4. The key will be using the same kind of door for each level change, so I can insert a level just by adjusting the teleports. Intermediate levels won't contribute anything to the quest beyond more enemies to wade through between the Monastery and Greta. There will be reward chests and mini-bosses in side paths to retain player interest, but they probably won't be required parts of the quest, unless I decide to add a "collect pieces of x to unlock this next part" obstacle. Bethesda did that with skulls and vials of blood in two of the Dragon Priest quests so there's bits I can steal. It would have to be succubus-themed, and I don't yet have a good idea of what to use.

Edit: Archbishop Lazarus was associated in Diablo with two succubi mini-bosses, Blackjade and Red Vex. I may try to work them into level 4, with Lazarus being a Dragon Priest (or a re-skin of one with different armour). If I can do a similar "read book to transport" linkage to side-chambers for this part, it would be even closer to the original. This was a common thing in Dragonborn, so it will also mislead the player into thinking Hermaeus Mora is involved, instead of Clavicus Vile. However, I don't want to include any DB content, and make this dependent on it.

The section of Level 4 that connects to the last one will be Lazarus' chambers, so you have to do that part always. He'll be guarding Greta, but won't have the key to her pillory.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jan 17 2019, 05:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 21 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

Archbishop Lazarus is becoming Leveque Lazare, a Breton Necromancer who is doing Clavicus Vile's evil work converting the women into sucubi. I intend to have the book portal mechanism match the one in Diablo, with two books taking you to the mini-boss lairs before enabling the one that enters LL's laboratory/surgery. I'm having a few problems with the restraint furniture, unfortunately with the critical one, which is the operating table where he implants the wings.

The various sizes of wings are a lot of work, too, especially getting appropriate positioning. When you shrink a mesh, it also moves in toward the central point, and that starts to hide the wings in the NPC's back. It's a fiddly job for the smallest ones.

I also needed some new costumes for this. Prisoner outfit for the succubus, ragged version of the priestess robe, and they have to work well when the character is restrained, without clipping through the stocks, pillories etc.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 31 2019, 06:14 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

I have created myself a problem with the developing succubi, in that they're NPC's who'd logically start off as neutral, or pro-player, and become more aggressive to the player as they grow their wings/boobies. I'm not planning on releasing any of them from their restraints, which they're in exactly because of that, but I need a reason for the player not to do so.

The necromancer-surgeon would restrain them for the same, but opposite purpose. They'd be aggressive to him until sufficiently changed. So anyone who's part-way is potentially hostile, but you don't know which way, maybe against everyone. However, I'll have at least one prisoner who's not yet started, who may just get released and run off.

One (Greta) is the focus of the quest, and does get rescued. The player went looking for her, and she's half-way to being a Succubus, so restrained for the benefit of both sides. I need to find a reason she's singled out, so I can release her alone.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 19 2019, 03:14 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

I did a few more things to the mod this weekend, but not much. There's a journal in a nightstand by a bed in the Monastery that lets Greta set the quest to rescue her. I still need something to prompt the player to look for it. I'm also trying to re-work the basement entrance to the crypt away from the "broken in/out" of the Solitude one, probably by moving the door/gate.

I added a Forsworn to the prisoners in the Succubus Factory, with the idea that they might be the starting point of the overall quest. Some of the in-progress succubi have smaller wings, less than fully-grown. Greta has those, too.

No progress on building out the rest of the dungeon, although it was always intended that I'd work from the two ends - Monastery and Boss Lair - and let the middle part decide on its own size. I can make an initial test with the crypt level connected directly to the Abyss level, and leave out mines and caves. That way I still have something if I quit early. The important thing is using the same doors every time.

Writing some Clark narrative didn't help much, as his depiction of the tale starts in Cyrodiil, in the village where Gilda's aunt Hilde, and cousin Greta, live. That won't be part of the mod, so another start is needed. So one option was finding a dead Forsworn with the stubbiest size of wings somewhere in the area with a note on the corpse. But the problem with that is that it discloses the wing part too soon, so I'm reconsidering. Maybe she just has the big boobies.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Apr 15 2019, 08:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 15 2019, 08:28 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

There are in total four sizes of wings. The stubbiest are the just-implanted ones, and I have a "ground object" version that sits around in bowls waiting to be used. The next ones up are the size Greta has, and the restrained succubi also sport these. The one shown in the initial pictures of the succubi are the largest they get, exceeded only by the animated really large ones that are exclusively for the Boss Succubus (Andariel).

Three of the victims have no wings yet. Two of them are caged, and the third hog-tied near the "operating table". The one on the table has a pair of the smallest wings, although I'm toying with giving her just one, plus an open wound where the other is about to go. It's a lot of work for a small detail, but it might happen.

I've made and discarded a couple of side-chambers for the lairs of Red Vex and Blackjade. They need an entrance chamber where you can port in, and not get immediately attacked, leading to a larger one where the enemies are waiting. I can't decide if these are just mirror images of each other, or more distinct, and how big they need to be.

Then I need the whole section that leads to these. The last chamber in that will have the three books that port you in. Two are initially enabled and lead to the Red Vex and Blackjade parts. Completing both of those enables the third book that take you to Leveque Lazare. Each book disables after you clear its target area.

Another unknown is the final exit. After defeating everyone on Level 5, you return to 4 to fetch Greta, who is now wingless and probably a bit boob-reduced (but still awesome). If i'm having Azura and Nocturnal combine to undo Clavicus Vile's work, maybe they'll port the party back to the Monastery. Or there will be a staircase behind a wall.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 16 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Since mALX asked in the furniture thread, a few more details:

I haven't yet decided if/when the other victims will be released. The caged and tied women with no wings yet would be player-friendly and most likely just want to escape, if released before the end. I'd need a way for them to do so, if I take that path.

The ones with the smallest wings would probably still be player-friendly. However, I wouldn't want to release them without a way to remove the wings, or they'd harm themselves trying to do that. If they failed, the transformation would continue, which is also undesirable.

The ones with half-developed wings are assumed hostile to both player and necromancer factions, so would not be released unless the process could be reversed. Since Greta is one of those, it has to be part of the mod anyway. I could just have the Azura/Nocturnal intervention undo all the transformations in progress, and release all the victims into the processing hall, to find their own way out. Defining outfits with and without wings makes it easy to make them disappear at a quest stage.

Full Succubi (and bosses) are enemies that get defeated as you go, and will all be dead by the time Greta is released. I'm considering having Andariel recalled by Clavicus Vile when she reaches bleed-out, taking any remaining minions with her. That gives me options for a sequel, if I want one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 29 2019, 02:20 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

I did some more work on this. The sub-boss lairs for Red Vex and Blackjade have been constructed, complete with leveled mobs, and nav-meshes for them to stand on. Lighting needs a lot of work, and clutter needs to be added.

The books as doors that connect them and the Lazarus lair to the rest of the level are in place and working. They were annoying to place, as the door markers inherited the inclination of the books, and they needed levelling by mouse. There's no way that I've found of setting the x/y/z and rotations of the doors markers.

There will be some scripting to disable/enable them later, but for now they all work all the time for testing. I've run through them with god mode on so far, as firepower balance is the last thing to tweak.

The location with the books needs to be build back to a level start, through some more encounters with mini-boss succubi, who should be a little weaker. I'll probably then connect directly to the crypt level, so I have a full working dungeon, that can be expanded with intermediate levels later.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 12 2019, 09:56 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

I now have enough pieces in place to connect it all up. It needs a lot more lighting, nav-meshes, etc. before it can be used, but at least a character can run through from one end to the other (using god mode until I do the mob balancing). It only has crypt and abyss levels, and the mine and cave levels are bypassed (and virtually non-existent).

The crypt part is linear, and side-branches to dead-end mini-boss lairs will be added later. The abyss level will also get some of that treatment. It's not hard to replace a straight section of hallway with a junction, and lead off a side-passage, provided it's done before all the clutter is added.

Some scripts need to be added for enabling and disabling the book doors, and releasing the quest target. I need to decide on a short-cut exit, too, as retracing your steps through the whole thing would be tedious. The same book door mechanism could get used to link out, once I decide which end-points to connect.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:08 AM