Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy - Book 3, We're Having a Crisis Here!
SubRosa
post Jul 30 2020, 01:29 AM
Post #221

Ancient
Group Icon

I like the magical courier doves for relaying information.

Buffy reminds me of a race horse champing impatiently at the bit, waiting for the gates to swing open so she can plunge forward and do what she does best.

Red lightning and thunder. That is not Stormcrow...

Gates everywhere! Now it is time for Buffy to do what she does best.

It's Raminus Polus! Teresa remembers him from when she was a child.

Oh noes! We all knew the fate that awaited Martin, and his sacrifice. But Agronak too! Like Buffy, I cannot wait to see how things will turn out!

As Haute noted, it is nice to see a version of this tale where the protagonist is not the Champion of Cyrodiil, but rather a peripheral character seeing it all through their eyes.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 2 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #222

Master
Group Icon

It's interesting reading about the big final battle from Buffy's perspective, where's not the one that would be responsible for the greatest success, but instead played a side role, though an important one nonetheless.

I hope that Agronak won't succumb to his wounds.

Like others, I'm curious to read about what follows.

I felt a pang of guilt

A new word learned - a pang.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 5 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #223

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- Shortly after Martin’s forces entered The Imperial City, Oblivion Gates opened throughout the city, including the Arcane University. As Buffy fought to control Daedra inside the University, the Oblivion Gates suddenly all closed. A Legion rider brought an incredible report of Akatosh’s intervention to banish Dagon. When Buffy heard that Sir Agronak had suffered grievous wounds, she immediately recalled Superian with the intent of racing to the aid of her friends.

Rider- You are astute to immediately recognize Buffy’s fear that Mazoga could join her as a widow is very real. Indeed, it will take center stage in today’s episode. I’m deeply appreciative to you and Buffy’s other Chorrol friends for embracing the fact that Buffy’s nature doesn’t really lend itself to being the Hero or Champion.

SubRosa- Thanks for your endorsement of the guild’s magical courier doves. I envision them as enchanted scrolls that, once quilled, turn into a courier dove for delivery, then back into a scroll for the recipient to read. I’m glad Buffy’s impatience and frustration at not being with Mazoga and Agronak came through, even though Boderi’s use of her was tactically sound. We’ll learn Agronak’s fate today as Buffy struggles to keep him alive.

Lopov- As an emotional elf who spills everything she knows, thinks or feels into her journal, it can be a challenge maintaining some ‘mystery’ to our story. I have found that the limitations imposed by our rather strict first person perspective actually help solve the problem. Buffy can only share what she sees or knows. She is therefore full of questions about how Martin was able to defeat Dagon – a side effect of her role defending the University. Right now though, her heart is gripped with panic over the condition of her friend’s mate.

Episode 34

Bracing myself for the acceleration I knew Superian was capable of, I leaned forward in the saddle and whispered, “Speed.”

The mighty mare exploded through the University’s open gate and thundered across the bridge that passed over the Valley of Horses toward The Imperial City. Upon seeing us approaching from the University at a furious pace, the guard at the northern end of the bridge swung open his doors. We raced into the Arboretum District and veered left. The sight of the rapidly approaching mare also inspired the Temple District guard to open his gate. I paid scant attention to the giant dragon of gray stone protruding through the Temple of the One’s damaged roof. A flying dismount landed me on the steps of the Temple and I sprinted through its missing door.

I found the orcs together. Mazoga was seated on the floor, back against the wall. The unconscious Agronak lay face up, head cradled in the arms of his mate. Their weaponry, gauntlets and helms were strewn about nearby.

Kneeling beside them was a guild mage that I recognized from our healing efforts at Bruma, likely still assigned to our detachment in support of Martin. Recognition flashed between us and she subtly shook her head. “I’ll ease his pain if he awakens but, given the severity of his wounds, there is little more my restoration spells can do. None of the Temple’s priests survived to assist.”

“I’d like to try,” I said quietly.

“Please do,” she implored and moved aside. “Sir Mazoga sustained only minor injuries and I will mend those while you tend to her mate.”

I knelt by pair of knights, noting that Agronak was still breathing.

“Buff, I. . . think we won?”

“We did indeed, Zoga.”

I then laid both hands upon Agronak and established the intimate bond of healing between us. I resisted the urge to recoil at the magnitude of the damage I detected. His entire body had been battered as if thrown or kicked against a stone wall by Mehrunes Dagon himself. The big bone of his left upper leg was broken midway between hip and knee but, thankfully, the nearby large artery was intact. Numerous broken ribs had pierced several internal organs, including one lung.

I allowed the bond to fade, then looked at Mazoga. “His wounds are very serious, dear friend. I need a few moments to prepare myself before I attempt to heal him.”

Her glistening eyes contrasted sharply with the fearsome tusked features of her blood and soot-streaked face. “Thank you, my pal. If anyone on Nirn can save him, I know it’s you.”

Still kneeling, I bowed my head. Less than a year ago I had held my brave Savlian as he lay dying in my arms from equally serious wounds. My magicks proved insufficient to heal him and I lost the love of my life. But that was then.

This was now, however. Azura had removed her spiritual warding from me and I had opened my heart to the Nine. “Divines, I cannot do this alone,” I said softly. “I ask that you channel your awesome power through this humble elf that I might heal this man and save his mate from the same widow’s fate that I endure.” Azura had been confident that the Nine would ‘step up to the task’ and so I must be confident as well. “Acadian, I need your strength also. Are you with me on this?”

No hesitation preceded words that only I could hear, ’Now and forever, my elf.’

I retrieved the two restore magicka elixirs that I carried in the enchanted satchel at my waist, uncorked them and placed both on the ground next to me. Taking a deep breath, I laid both hands upon Agronak again and allowed my magic to flow between us.

I began by aligning and mending one rib at a time to prevent further damage. Knitting together the tear in his lung was next in order to improve his breathing. The pain I was absorbing was beginning to make me nauseous and my magicka was depleting faster than I could regenerate it. I slowed down to help manage both challenges. Some of his internal organs were different than mine but, with the intimate bond between us, I had no trouble figuring out their function and what was needed to restore them. My own pain and magicka management continued to plague the process. I quickly gulped down one of my potions. It did nothing for the waves of pain I was absorbing from Agronak but it did give me a temporary surge of magicka.

My buckskins grew heavy with sweat and my body was beginning to silently scream in protest. Slowing down more helped, but I was still using too much magicka to continue much longer. I knew the cuts, burns, bruises and – as long as he was not moved - even his broken leg could wait. He could not long survive with the remaining damage to his internal organs though. My slow pace further endangered his chances.

I managed to painfully labor on but still too slowly. Soon, I felt Agronak’s life force weakening and realized I was in serious danger of losing him before I could complete the more essential repairs to his damaged body.

Fighting panic, I downed my last potion and accelerated the pace, gritting my teeth against the increased pain. I was making progress but the quicker tempo was also depleting my magicka faster.

Determined that Mazoga was not going to join me as a widow, I continued my work and made the decision to augment Agronak’s faltering life force with my own. Whatever it took, I would either save this man or perish in the attempt.

When I felt a subtle increase in my magicka reserves and decrease in my own pain, I realized that Acadian was now blending his magicka with mine and his spirit was bolstering my life force. Nevertheless, I couldn’t stop the whimpers of pain that soon began to escape my lips.

I felt Mazoga’s large hand on my shoulder but her voice sounded far away, “Buff, you’re killing yourself! I know you’ve tried your best but some wounds are beyond mortal healing. I can’t lose you and Agronak both. Let him go.”

“Do not interfere!” The force behind my words surprised me. “I will not let you lose your mate the way I lost mine!”

Barely noticing when my trusting friend removed her hand, I desperately continued to slowly heal Agronak each time my now depleted magicka regenerated enough to allow it. Despite Acadian adding his resources to mine, everything – our magicka, spiritual force and even life itself was fading. The pain was causing me to tremble now and I was whimpering almost steadily. My vision had lost color and closed in so all I could really see was my hands upon Agronak. I somehow managed to whisper, “We may die trying, Acadian, but I do not regret the attempt.”

’We’re not dead yet, Buffy,’ was his telepathic response.

Suddenly, I heard a woman’s voice that came from both within and all around me. It was gentle but echoed with power. ’Your valiant and selfless efforts to heal this knight at your own peril shall not be in vain. The ancient paladin who dwells within you knows me as the Goddess of war and sky. To the tribes of your Cloud Dancer Clan who live in the Tall Trees of Valenwood, my domain is the forest and sky above. From this day forth, the power of the Divines will flow through you and you shall be called Paladin of Kynareth.’

I was illuminated by an aura of pure white and realized that I was the source, not the target, of the light.

My pain eased and clarity returned to my mind and vision. Depleted magicka began to rapidly replenish. The abundant power now coursing through the bond between Agronak and I was not mine, but the breath of Kynareth herself. Not only did it augment my magicka and reinforce my healing skill, but a good portion of the pain flowing back from Agronak was now being shared by the Sky Goddess herself. With the distraction of excessive pain significantly eased and abundant fuel for my healing, I was able to quickly mend the orc’s remaining internal injuries, his broken leg and even the numerous burns, cuts and bruises.

As I let the healing bond fade, I realized I was still emanating Divine light. Intuitively I knew how to dispel this new power and did so. “Thank you, My Lady,” I whispered.

Agronak stirred, then opened his eyes. After a few moments of testing his limbs, and with a bit of help from his powerful mate, I was amazed to see him slowly get to his feet.

I was then pulled to my own feet and swallowed between two giants in a three way embrace for several long and wonderful moments.

“Easy, brave knight,” I said. “With much Divine help, you are healed but your body has suffered a great deal. I expect you need several days of rest.” I smiled at Mazoga and added, “And I know just the knight to make sure you follow your healer’s orders.”

A messenger interrupted us. “Sir’s Mazoga and Agronak, I bring news from the Imperial Council. It is my pleasure to inform you that they have declared you both Champions of Cyrodiil, Order of the Dragon. Only six heroes before you have received that honor in the history of the Empire. Chancellor Ocato is in the Council Chambers and requests the pleasure of briefly congratulating you before you take some much needed rest.”

Both orcs looked at me.

“Keep it brief,” I admonished, “and congratulations.”

Mazoga took my hands and looked down into my eyes. A tear tracked downward through the soot and blood on her right cheek. “Buff. . . there’s no words. . . . without you. . . how can I ever -“

I interrupted her faltering voice. “Your eyes and heart tell me everything, dear friend. Cherish him for many years to come.”

She nodded, then both orcs gathered their equipment from the ground. I watched as the mighty pair headed for the Council’s chambers.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 5 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #224

Master
Group Icon

*Sniff* Well, that made me cry - both in dread as Buffy/Acadian gave their *mortal* all to save Argonak, and in relief when Kyne (not surprised. At. All.) stepped up and claimed Buffy for her own. I always felt that Kyne, with her affinity for sky, storms and wind, was the perfect fit for our glass cannon - Mara is a close second, but she always felt more earthbound to me, if that makes any sense. Of all the Divines, I just feel that Kynareth (personally I prefer Kyne) fit Buffy’s light personality more. She cares, and cares deeply, but she just can’t be shackled to Nirn.

And now that Mazoga and Agronak are healthy and whole and most importantly, together: ALL HAIL THE CHAMPIONS - OF CYRODIIL!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 5 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #225

Master
Group Icon

A beautiful story!

If I was at the beginning convinced that Buffy will save Agronak, you made it quite tense there in the middle, and I wasn't sure anymore, whether Agronak will survive or not. The moment, when Kynareth speaks to Buffy, was very touching.

Cyrodill is now enriched with two new champions and one new paladin.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 5 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #226

Councilor
Group Icon

I started reading this with the thought "If Agronak dies, it will be Mara, and if he lives, Kyne" So I was right, twice! tongue.gif

Now just don't let Buffy think "If only I'd help at Kvatch".

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 5 2020, 10:46 PM
Post #227

Ancient
Group Icon

Awesome! Pure Awesome. You wove not only a harrowing, but deeply personal account of something that might be considered an afterthought by other writers. Buffy was literally in greater danger here than she was during the battles of Bruma or the Imperial City. With stakes like that, you really created a worthy challenge for a Paladin.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 9 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #228

Councilor
Group Icon

Boderi replied patiently, “Buffy, I know you want to be in the middle of things alongside Sirs Mazoga and Agronak, but Martin is well-protected and I need you here. I will bear your offer and capabilities in mind as things develop though.”

I sighed. “As you say, Boderi.”

The waiting began.

Dangit. I agree with Buffy. She's a unique and talented individual, certainly nobody else in her world can do all the things she does, and in one tiny package. But let me finish reading first. Maybe Boderi has a point. Right now though, I feel like her capacities are being wasted.

That's wicked, seeing that red lightning shoot across the sky.

“Boderi be damned!” I whispered aloud. “I’m a skilled Daedra fighter and need to be in that city alongside Mazoga and Agronak!”

That's right. You go, girl. YES. I love that she's now actively more involved. She just cast Frenzy if I'm not mistaken. panic.gif panic.gif Wow, gates are opening everywhere in the Imperial City. This is intense. Even some Mage Apprentices are getting involved. bluewizardsmile.gif

Raminus speaks his greeting just like an NPC. laugh.gif

I agree it would have been a bad idea if she'd gone into that gate. What happens when Dagon gets defeated? Would she be stuck in there, even if she grabbed its sigil stone?

The next chapter is awesome. She receives aid from Kynareth just in time. That's beautiful.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 12 2020, 03:03 AM
Post #229

Councilor
Group Icon

Episode 33: I loved seeing this battle through Buffy’s eyes as she kept her position at the Arcane University. It was easy to imagine the mages defending their home. The students eager to use their new staves and spells made me smile. Carahil would approve! Offering water was a lovely Buffy moment. “Sir Agronak suffered grievous wounds”? Whelp, that’s Buffy’s traveling music! And off she goes!!

Episode 34: Oh my gosh, the tears! Paladin of Kynareth! That was glorious! WHOOP!! biggrin.gif

Oh, and congrats to the mighty Champions, of course. I loved the group hug.

I can’t help but think of Buffy in her Templar form, surrounded by light and sparkles. She is the source of light indeed. wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2020, 05:05 AM
Post #230

Ancient
Group Icon

Some music for Buffy, 'Zoga, Aggie, and the rest

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 12 2020, 12:48 PM
Post #231

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- When Buffy arrived at the side of the orcish knights, she quickly determined that healing Agronak’s wounds might well exceed her abilities. Nevertheless, she took a moment to beseech the Divines for aid, then went to work. After a long struggle of trying to manage her own pain and magicka reserves with the outcome in dire jeopardy, she decided to flow her own life force into Agronak in a desperate and dangerous attempt to save him. With both she and Agronak barely clinging to life, it was Kynareth who spoke to Buffy, declared the small elf to be her paladin and provided the powerful assistance needed for Buffy to save Agronak.

All- Some episodes in Buffy’s long saga rank way up there in terms of how emotional they are for both Buffy and I. The first time Buffy and Savlian shared intimate pleasures was such an episode. So it was again when Savlian died in Buffy’s arms. And this one where she was chosen by Kynareth. Never have I been more proud of the steely but selfless determination Buffy displayed as she went about healing her pal’s mate. Given how emotionally invested both Buffy and I were in this past episode, it is wonderfully reassuring to have such warm support from each of you. Thank you all!

Rider- I agree completely with your assessment of Kynareth and Mara as they fit into Buffy’s fiction. The ancient ‘earth’ magic that Lady Cora is able to pull up from the ground in her fiction reminds me quite a bit of the Mother of Nirn (Mara). Buffy is driven by emotion – and the strongest of these for her is love, so Mara would have indeed been a good fit. Ultimately though, it is Buffy’s free spirit, unconventional trappings and deep obligation to protect and nurture those she cares about that caused Kynareth to sponsor Buffy as the newest paladin.

Lopov- I consider the moment Kynareth addressed Buffy to be the culmination of this entire book. It was emotional for Buffy and I to write and I’m so glad you found it touching.

ghastley- Haha, I’m glad you were right about Kynareth and Agronak. I’m pleased that Buffy has moved forward a great deal in managing her grief for Savlian during this book. Her memories are now making her smile and she is using them constructively, such as noting some of the tactics of organized warfare he taught her and finding the inspiration to devote her entire being into healing Agronak.

SubRosa- Thank you for those kind words! Given how important this episode was to Buffy and I, along with its long term ramifications, that warm support is most needed and welcome. 'The Champions' by Queen is a great choice of music! Actually though, what roared into my mind as Buffy snapped her "Don’t interfere!" at Mazoga was the look of steel determination and music from this short Heart of Courage vid.

Renee- Buffy tends to favor Command spells in Oblivion to turn one foe in a crowd to her side. Generally, the rest will then focus on that foe instead of Buffy. She ran into problems with the Frenzy method in Skyrim in that sometimes she would be included among their targets unless she really kept her distance!

Grits- You know Buffy well! When that lathered bay and rider arrived, water for them was Buffy’s first thought. A very long road but Buffy joins Acadian as a paladin!

Note- With the Oblivion Crisis over and Buffy chosen by Kynareth as a paladin, the final three remaining episodes will serve as somewhat of an epilogue, tying up loose ends, reinforcing the choice that Kynareth made, letting Buffy get more comfortable with who Kynareth is and, finally, having Buffy join Boderi as a knight in her guild’s Order of the Lamp.

Episode 35

Superian was patiently waiting just outside the Temple of the One. I buried my face in her long mane and hugged her neck as I inhaled deeply of the mare’s comforting scent. After a few moments, I mounted and we headed for the University.

As soon as we entered the Arboretum District, I noticed the distinctive armor and katana of a Blade. Though his armor was marred with dents, soot, blood and even traces of Daedra innards, the Redguard appeared uninjured and absorbed in contemplation. I recognized his face and drew Superian to a stop. “Baurus?”

His eyes found mine. “Well met, Buffy. I’m glad to see you unharmed.”

“Likewise, Baurus.” After a moment of awkward silence I added, “Forgive me but you seem troubled.”

He winced. “For the second time, I have failed to protect my Emperor. First Uriel and now Martin – each perished under my protection.”

“There are some perils no one can defend against. Uriel knew his destiny and I suspect Martin realized his as well. I have fought alongside you, brave Blade, and would trust my life to you.” When I saw that the courteous smile he gave me did not reach his eyes, I tried to shift the subject. “What will happen now?”

“Well, word is the Council has declared the end of the Third Era. I suppose Chancellor Ocato will be named Potentate. As for the Blades, we will do what we have always done – serve Talos.”

“May the Divines guide your path, Baurus.”

“And yours, Buffy.”

Superian continued out of the Arboretum District and onto the long bridge leading toward the Arcane University.

“Congratulations, young paladin,” remarked Acadian. “As Boderi warned you, if and when you received a call from the Nine, there would be nothing subtle about it.”

“Thank you, old paladin. I would not have survived without both you and Kynareth.”

Boderi met me in the University’s outer courtyard as I slid from the saddle. The Dunmer studied my face carefully, then stated, “You have been called.”

I nodded, briefly flashing the white aura of my new credentials. “I’ve been chosen by the Goddess of Sky and Forest. I am a Paladin of Kynareth.”

“That is wonderful news!” Her smile faded. “What of Sir Agronak’s injuries?”

“He will fully recover,” I replied. “His injuries were too severe for me to heal alone, but not beyond the power of Kynareth. When I desperately needed her, she came to me and allowed her Divine magic to flow through me. In so doing, she spared Mazoga from widowhood, and saved the lives of both Agronak and myself; I was fully committed to healing my friend’s mate and surely would have died in the attempt without Kynareth’s help. Today, she earned my trust, love and friendship. Henceforth, I will answer her call whenever she needs me.”

Boderi hugged me and said, “Kynareth has made a wise choice.” As we disengaged, she took my hands and added, “Paladins are often chosen when a Divine plucks them from the brink of a life and death struggle. For that is when the true nature of our essence is laid bare before them. I believe it is significant that your crucible was one of restoring life instead of taking it.”

“I’ll trust your wisdom on that, Boderi. I simply know that as long as there was breath within me, I was not about to let Mazoga lose the man she loves. I am all too familiar with that fate.”

“Buffy, I will inform the Arch Mage that you have been called. After what has just transpired in the city, I expect he will be involved with Imperial Council matters for several days. After that, I’m sure he will want a small traditional ritual in the chapel, during which several of the staff will ask you questions. If all goes well, he will then invite you into the Order of the Lamp. Get some rest. When I get word, I’ll let you know when the ceremony will be and brief you on what to expect.”

I rode Superian down to Equestria and groomed her. As Thernd helped me feed and water the mare, I passed what news I could onto him. I then walked back up to the University to clean my buckskins, get a warm bath, hearty dinner and good night of sleep.

Early the following morning, I was awakened to learn that the Champions of Cyrodiil were in the lobby asking for me. I quickly dressed and joined them.

“Morning Buff,” greeted Mazoga with a tusky grin.

“Good morning, dear friends,” I answered. “Agronak, how are you feeling today?”

He smiled. “I would not have believed it after being so heavily battered and broken by Mehrunes Dagon yesterday but I feel fit enough to fight him again!”

“I’ll be the judge of that,” I replied. “Hold still.” I laid both hands upon him and began to probe his condition with my magic. The repairs to his lung, other organs, ribs and even shattered upper leg were barely detectable and, had I not known better, could have been many weeks old. I allowed the healing bond to fade. “By Kynareth’s grace, I believe you’re right. You are fully fit for duty, Champion.”

His face grew serious. “Mazoga says you’re the only healer in Tamriel who could have saved me. Thank you.”

“I had plenty of help from Kynareth. Your robust Orsimer constitution has doubtless helped speed your recovery as well.”

Mazoga said, “Buff, the reason we stopped by is to say farewell for now. Fanador is waiting with our mounts just outside the University. We’ve accepted Sir Flavius’ invitation to ride south with our fellow Knights of the White Stallion this morning as they return to Leyawiin. Between the battles here and at Bruma, the Order lost several knights and could use our help.”

“I’m saddened to see you leave so soon but I know Sir Flavius and Count Caro will appreciate your able assistance in County Leyawiin. I think you’ll find the new lodge to be most impressive.”

Mazoga folded me into her massive steel-clad arms and gently hugged me to her. As we disengaged, she pressed a burlap-wrapped parcel into my hand. I blinked back tears and, once again, bid farewell to the two knights.

Once they were gone, I opened the package to reveal Azura’s Star. As a smile claimed my face, I whispered, “I love you too, Godmother. You were right. About everything.”

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 12 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #232

Master
Group Icon

And so Azura's favor finds its way back to Buffy, in a not so subtle way.

Ironically, TESV Lady Cora is deep in her own Twilight quest to restore that very same artifact . . . I think she has already chosen to return it to Azura herself, even if it means she literally freezes to death on top of that mountain (we are playing Skyrim with Frostfall and Lady Cora DOES NOT TOLERATE the cold well).

I am looking forward to what that ritual entails. It will be very interesting to see.

And of course, Buffy takes care of Superian before she takes care of herself. A proper horsewoman, that one! tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #233

Ancient
Group Icon

Baurus! It is fun to meet even more old pals. Now resolved to serve Talos, now that there are no longer any Emperors.

I also thought it was significant that Buffy's crucible was a moment of healing rather than righteously monster slaying. It was a pleasant change.

So nice for Azura's Star to come back to Buffy though the hands of an old friend. I wonder if Buffy's travels will take her down to Leyawiin for another reunion any time soon?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 14 2020, 07:35 PM
Post #234

Master
Group Icon

Short but meaningful conversation with Baurus. It's always nice seeing old Blades.

Mazoga folded me into her massive steel-clad arms and gently hugged me to her.

I bet that small Buffy was completely lost in massive Mazoga's arms, and steel-clad on the top of that! laugh.gif

The star is back to where it belongs - in the hands of the Champion of Azura.

I must also say that there's now some peaceful feeling in this story, with Mehrunes Dagon being defeated, with Orcs being alive, and with Buffy the Paladin. There were peaceful stories before as well, but there was always the menace of the Daedra present.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 19 2020, 12:01 PM
Post #235

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- On her way back to the University, Buffy encountered Baurus and learned that the Imperial Council had declared the end of the Third Era. She then informed Boderi that Kynareth had chosen her as a paladin. Boderi congratulated Buffy and informed her to rest for a few days until the Arch Mage was ready to invite her into the Order of the Lamp. She was visited the next morning by the new Champions of Cyrodiil who would be heading to Leyawiin with the Knights of the White Stallion. As she left, Mazoga returned the Star of Azura to Buffy.

Rider- Buffy said she would not reject Azura to become a paladin and took the return of the Star as a clear sign that the Mistress of Twilight feels the same about her. I enjoyed the Skyrim Azura Star quest as well and hope that Lady Cora has survived! I hope you enjoy the Arch Mage’s ceremony where he invites Buffy into the Order of the Lamp two episodes ahead.

SubRosa- Baurus seemed like a great choice to inform Buffy of the end of the Third Era with the bonus of getting to briefly see him again. Baurus played a big role in the beginning and I thought it had an appropriate ‘full circle’ feel to see him again at the end of the crisis. I appreciate your endorsement of our choice to enter Kynareth during a life and death trial of healing instead of one of combat. I expect Kynareth is wise to strongly value compassion in her paladins.

Lopov- Thank you. Yes, that last episode and the final two remaining episodes are all rather tranquil as we continue tie up loose ends and bring things to a (hopefully) satisfying conclusion.

Episode 36

After breakfasting on warm bread with soft cheese, grilled sausage, fresh strawberries and steaming bergamot tea, I headed down to Equestria. Superian had already been fed and, as it was a beautiful morning, we headed out for a local ride along the beach south of the University.

After the last few hectic days, I reveled in my peaceful surroundings. The calming sounds of Lake Rumare’s gentle waves as they kissed the shore. The commanding height provided by my mighty mare. The warmth of Kitsune curled up in front me. The ever present comfort of Acadian’s spirit intertwined with mine. And something new; it was subtle but I believed I could feel it girding my heart and spirit. “Acadian, do you think Kynareth and I are a good fit? I thought perhaps if I was chosen as a paladin, it might be by Mara since I was raised in her city.”

“Close your eyes and open your mind,” he replied cryptically. “I want to remind you of something from nearly a year ago.”

I drew Superian to a stop and did as the paladin asked. The vision of a memory gradually formed. I was inside Kvatch’s Chapel of Akatosh with High Priestess Oleta. Though the wounds I received during the same battle that claimed Savlian’s life were nearly healed, I had questioned whether Oleta’s intent to release me was premature. . . .

“Your ankle is all better and that troublesome arm is mending nicely.” Her gentle fingers brushed some blond strays from my face. “Buffy, I know your heart was also broken. Even the Dragon God of Time’s full bounty cannot completely heal that. It will get better though, and you will find you are not alone in your loss. Besides, you don’t need the roof of Akatosh over your head. Kynareth will bring you comfort.”

“Kynareth?” Despite blinking back tears, I said, “But, High Priestess, I am a child of Mara.”

“I’m aware that elves grow up slowly, but I expect you are a child no longer. I have spent much time with hands laid upon you. There is an odd duality to your spirit. . . as if another somehow dwells within you. Regardless, I sense both Mara and the ancient Nordic variation of Kynareth. It is Mara who taught you to love, but the free spirited Goddess of sky, travelers and forest who can help you mourn. You are a wood elf and need to spend time outdoors. Embrace the cleansing tears of Kyne - what we call rain.”

The vision faded and I opened my eyes. “I confess I was so preoccupied with my grief back then that many memories from that period are. . . vague.” I urged Superian forward. “Thank you for reminding me so vividly, Acadian. Oleta knew. Azura knew. Even you knew, it seems. By Kynareth’s wings, why was I the last to know? No. . . don’t answer that. Just tell me what you actually think about Kynareth choosing me.”

Acadian chuckled then replied, “Buffy, trying to fully understand you is as difficult as chasing a butterfly in a thunderstorm. That is but one of many things you have in common with Kynareth. Both of you love the cleansing of a gentle rain, butterflies dancing among flowers in the morning sunshine, a clear starlit night, the sights, sounds, smells, trees and creatures of the forest. As a buckskin mage who is more at home under the stars than the roof of a guildhall, you eschew convention and are a free-spirit. Like Kyne, you well-know the fury and heartbreak of battle as well as the pain of losing your mate. She was with you when you both gave your Kiss at the End to Savlian and the care of his spirit passed from you to her. Like you, the Sky Goddess evolves, unafraid even to remake herself if it strikes her fancy. And just as Kynareth is driven to nurture and sustain the creatures and trees of her forests, so it is with you and those you hold precious.”

“You make me sound very much the way Priestess Avita described Kynareth just a few days ago,” I teased.

“Then you have your answer,” replied the paladin.

I smiled. “Thank you, Acadian. I want to know her better.”

“Just as I expect she wants to know her young paladin better. Remember, you spent many years with your spirit warded from her by Azura. Despite the fact that Kynareth spoke to you directly in rather spectacular fashion when she called you, the Divines just as often communicate subtly with your spirit – simply conveying their meaning directly to your heart without words.”

We rode quietly for a few minutes. Then I began to sense. . . something. “Someone or something is beckoning me. My new paladin power detects not a trace of evil nearby though. Can you feel it?”

“I do,” Acadian replied, “and there is an old familiarity to it. Ahead to our right perhaps?”

“All I see out there is a lone oak tree. . . yet I am drawn to it.”

Once under its wide canopy of branches, I dismounted and placed both hands upon the tree’s trunk. I smiled as I felt the presence of Kynareth – now somewhat familiar to me from when she enabled me to heal Agronak and called me to her service. It made perfect sense for her to choose this venue. After all, it was the Sky Goddess' rain and sunshine that nurtured the creatures and trees of the forests I loved – including the giant Valenwood graht oak in whose branches I was conceived. With girths that rivaled the entire Arcane University complex and growing to cloud-kissing heights that could eclipse the White Gold Tower, I fondly recalled how each Tall Tree could lovingly sustain an entire tribe of Cloud Dancer Clan elves. Though certainly not a graht oak, this mature greenshade oak was impressive by Cyrodiil standards. “I am here, My Lady, and my heart is open to you.”

As Kynareth’s essence began to flow into me, a trickle quickly became a river. Acadian’s cryptic warning made sense now. Though rather overwhelmed, I was able to understand most of the torrent of feelings, thoughts and images she conveyed. At the same time, I felt her gently probing my own spirit. I even sensed her warm reunion with Acadian. Both new and long-dormant connections between us were now strong enough that, at her urging, I released my hands from the tree; its assistance was no longer necessary. After a time I felt, rather than heard, ’We will talk more later, Buffy’. Kynareth then allowed the bond between us to dissipate.

“Thank you, My Lady. I see now why the tribes of my Cloud Dancer Clan revere both you as Sky Goddess and your sister, the Mother of Nirn. Though she instills the spark of life – be it into seed that finds fertile loam, or womb upon conception, it is you whose rain and sunshine sustain the forests which, in turn, provide for its creatures in a beautiful cycle of life and renewal.”

I remounted Superian and we leisurely continued our ride, heading behind the University and up into the rolling grasslands that overlooked Lake Rumare and the Upper Niben. After communing with Kynareth, my elven connection to the land had never felt more alive. When we encountered a particularly lovely meadow that hosted numerous butterflies displaying a rainbow of colors, I couldn’t resist drawing Superian to a stop and dismounting. I doffed my buckskins and danced with abandon through the sunny meadow among the butterflies. I felt every bit the Child of Kynareth that I had become. . . or perhaps had always been.

Note- The flashback that Acadian showed Buffy was a verbatim excerpt from Episode 171 of Buffy’s Book 1 – originally posted over eight years ago.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 19 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #236

Master
Group Icon

Sigh. What a wonderful episode this is - after the strum und drang of the previous episodes it is nice to pause and take a few deep breaths of Kyne's cleansing air.

Acadian describes what I feel of Buffy's kinship with Kyne to a T - and I think he did better than I did a few posts ago!

As a child who grew up during a time when "play" meant "outside", I've always felt a close connection to the nature around me, even though in hindsight my parent's plot was less than an acre in size. But it felt huge to a small child, and because of its hilly location, full of little spots that differed dramatically from one place to the next. My parents had a hands-off approach to landscaping, so I found lots of different plants, bugs, and even animals living wild in our yard. It was truly Kyne's half-acre!

I say all this because for some reason, from my first introduction to Kyne in Oblivion through my time in the Imperial Library and beyond, I've always felt a close connection to Kyne. Of all the Divines, she is my personal favorite. Julian, though she is led by Akatosh (due to her years in the Legion) and Julianos (as manifested by her reading every book she comes across), respects Kyne for her presence in the world around her; Alise, though she is a Cheydinhal product of a forbidden Ashlander/Redoran union, lived enough of her life in the wilds to have a healthy respect as well; Lady Cora sees Kyne as a relatively modern interpretation of the much older Goddess Nirn that drives her and protects her. So Kyne is there for all of my characters, in some form or another.

In fact, those who have read OHDH may recall a scene from the Battle of Bruma in that book - where wolves, elk and even a grumpy bear took part in the fight to keep the Daedra back from the city walls. It was never really answered in that writing, but I've always felt it was Kyne who called them to the battleground.

Back to Buffy, how wonderful that she would connect more definitely with Kyne via an Oak. These majestic trees are truly amazing in so many ways, and a fitting stand-in for a Divine.

TL:DR: loved this episode!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 19 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #237

Ancient
Group Icon

Equestria kind of sounds like a really upscale store in a really upscale mall. The kind of place where if you have to ask how much things cost, you cannot afford them.

chasing a butterfly in a thunderstorm
This does sound difficult, but also fun!

Both Oleta and Acadian gives us a nice recounting of all the reasons why Buffy is so suited to Kynareth. In fact, this whole episode shows us very eloquently why Kyne is Buffy's patron.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 20 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #238

Councilor
Group Icon

I like that.. "Paladins are often chosen (by the Gods) during a moment of taking or giving.." paraphrased. Guess I never thought of it that way, but it's true.

Nice, she gets Azura's Star back. Buffy needs to be on Earth. Maybe she + Kynareth can get rid of all this COVID on our planet.

“Acadian, do you think Kynareth and I are a good fit? I thought perhaps if I was chosen as a paladin, it might be by Mara since I was raised in her city.”

Nah, she's more Kynareth than Mara. Buffy moves like the wind, constantly on the move, and also uses magic + archery which depend upon air and space for delivery. Maybe her healing touch could be associated with Mara for sure, but this could go either way. Overall, it's as said in Chapter 36, Kynareth is all about the constantly-changing planet of Nirn. That's where most of her connection seems to be.

Whoa. Just shed a tear. She's visioning the past. Phew, that's heavy.

After communing with Kynareth, my elven connection to the land had never felt more alive.

Lovely.

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 20 2020, 03:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 26 2020, 11:50 AM
Post #239

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- During a pleasant morning ride around the University, Buffy was drawn to a large oak tree where she communed with the Goddess of Sky and Forest. Kynareth filled Buffy with a torrent of knowledge and feelings while gently probing the small elf’s spirit and even reconnecting with Acadian’s. Once complete, Buffy continued her ride with a much deeper appreciation and understanding of who Kynareth is and why she chose Buffy as her paladin.

Rider- What a delightful history you recount, growing up outdoors and kissed by Kyne’s breath. Oh, and I do recall the forest critters who joined in for the Battle of Bruma in OHDH. I’m so glad the episode struck a chord with you and glad that it helped reinforce Buffy’s connection to Kynareth and the wisdom of the pairing. As promised, upcoming is the small ceremony where Buffy will be invited into her guild’s Order of the Lamp.

SubRosa- Equestria simply came to me and I fell in love with both the sound and how appropriate it was for a posh stable. I credit Jane Auel’s Earth’s Children series of novels for Valley of the Horses. I do think the episode helped bring more details about Kynareth into focus for Buffy. Details that will help her in this next episode.

Renee- I would certainly give much to have a pocket healer with Buffy’s magical skill around these days! I was surprised when I realized how prophetic Oleta’s remarks about Kynareth were for Buffy. Particularly since I wrestled with Mara vs Kynareth right up until a couple weeks before our ‘reveal’. I even had two fully drafted versions of the last few episodes to support either choice. Similarly, it didn’t even fully strike me that Buffy’s destiny was to become a paladin until after Book 2 – even though it is so obvious looking back.

All- On now to the final episode of Book 3.

Episode 37

Though it was just Arch Mage Hannibal Traven, Headmaster Raminus Polus, the University’s priest, Boderi and myself, the small chapel was comfortably full.

“Boderi Farano tells me that one of the Nine has called you to their service as a paladin.”

“Yes, Excellency,” I replied to the silver-haired Arch Mage. “Kynareth has chosen me.” As Boderi had instructed, I briefly illuminated myself with Divine light to confirm my claim.

The priest addressed me next, “And what does Kynareth teach us, young paladin?”

“Use Nature's gifts wisely,” I stated. “Respect her power, and fear her fury.”

The priest replied, “So it is written in the book Ten Commands of the Nine Divines, and you have recited the words faithfully. Tell me though, Buffy, what does Kynareth mean to you personally as her paladin?”

I gratefully realized now why Kynareth had called me to that oak tree only two days ago and filled me with her essence. Though the question caught me by surprise, my words flowed readily, “Protect the weak. Heal the sick. Honor Nirn, its trees, creatures and spirits. Respect the forces of sky and forest that are her domain.”

The priest smiled, nodded his approval and stepped back.

Headmaster Polus questioned me next. “Buffy, do not most Bosmer worship Yffre?”

“Some do, Magister. Long ago, Bosmer were wild and feral creatures of the Valenwood with little self-control, even unwillingly shapeshifting into savage beasts. This curse was called the Wild Hunt. Some clans embraced Yffre, who lifted the curse but forbade using Valenwood’s flora in what has become known as the Green Pact. Other clans made their accord with Hircine and embraced lycanthropy in exchange for a measure of control over their shapeshifting. The tribes of my Cloud Dancer Clan turned instead to the Mother of Nirn and Sky Goddess. The two Divines freed us from the Wild Hunt, asking only that we use the forest’s resources wisely and love the mighty graht oaks that provide homes for our tribes.”

The Headmaster nodded thoughtfully. “The Divines work in mysterious ways. Perhaps Kynareth has been part of your destiny for longer than I might have imagined.” He then stepped back.

“I think we can all appreciate the importance of Kynareth’s bounty from the sky and forest but how does such a paladin combat evil?” The question came from Arch Mage Traven. He lifted one eyebrow rather sharply and added, “Certainly not by dancing in the treetops or conjuring butterflies.”

I met his gaze calmly. “Long ago, My Lady was known as Kyne – the Goddess of Sky and War. She is well-acquainted with the violence that is sometimes required in a world where evil exists. When she evolved into Kynareth – the Goddess of Sky and Forest – she did not forsake the will or ability to defend that which she loves. Anyone who has witnessed the power of a thunderstorm or the fury of a mother grizzly defending her cubs would harbor no doubt of this.”

Hannibal Traven’s eyes sparkled as the stern look on his face evaporated into a broad smile. “Well spoken, Paladin! Your words not only convey truth, but they are delivered with the conviction of one who cannot be intimidated - even when the arch mage of your guild purposefully attempts to do so.”

“I meant no offense, Excellency, but I answer first and foremost now to powers beyond any guild, city or even the Empire.”

He replied, “That is exactly the attitude Arch Mage Vanus Galerion sought when he insisted that each knight arcana be, first and foremost, a paladin. For he knew that only those answering directly to the Divines could not be corrupted or dissuaded from their purpose of combating evil and protecting those in need. In this matter, he believed that the guild’s interests and those of the Divines aligned. As a paladin, it is understood that your duties and responsibilities to the Nine come first. What we ask of our knights is that, when it does not conflict with the will of the Nine, they assist the guild in combating the use of evil magic. Kynareth permitting, will you accept an appointment into the Order of the Lamp?”

“I would be honored, Excellency,” I replied as I lowered myself to one knee.

He gently touched the end of his staff upon each of my shoulders as he spoke, “The Divines have wisely declared you Kynareth’s paladin. It is my honor to now dub you as knight arcana.” The Arch Mage smiled as he added, “Please rise, Dame Buffy.”

Each of the lamps above the nine altars in the small chapel briefly brightened their approval.

~ The End ~

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 26 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #240

Councilor
Group Icon

Sweet, how incredible! You had two different directions the story could go, I didn't know that. smile.gif Well I'm glad she and you have found her way.

It's so weird that in lore, Bosmer are, or were, supposed to be akin to pure carnivores, or even savage cannibals. I just can't even imagine them like this; the ideal of wood elves which we grew up with ever since LotR and the table games of yore would get destroyed by something which doesn't make sense. To me, anyway. I am glad Buffy (nor anyone else in your tales) are this way. I understand that the Green Pact was meant to protect the forest, but as an example of how short-sighted this pact is: plenty of plants are meant to be eaten. Their seeds would not spread otherwise. Trees and bushes and other flora overproduce in years without drought. The way I see it, this overproduction of green is meant to be used and eaten, to continue the circle of life. I mean, what else are they gonna eat, especially those of us who are not carnivores?

Sorry. I am getting philosophical. indifferent.gif Maybe they are talking about entire forests though. Don't tear down entire forests. In that case, the Green Pact makes more sense. Let me have a look at UESP.

The Green Pact, also known as the Treaty of Frond and Leaf,[1] is a strict code upheld by many of the Bosmer of Valenwood.[2] It is said to have guided their existence since the beginning of the "great story". Its rules are clear. Do not harm the forests of Valenwood. Do not eat anything made from plant life. Eat only meat. When enemies are conquered, their meat must be eaten, not left to rot. Do not kill wastefully. Do not take on the shape of beasts.

Blecch. I don't see it. I'm trampling lore I guess. Oh well. There are times Lady Saga lives off the land, especially if she's in wilderness for days on end. She lives off of all those leaves, seeds, flowers, herbs, mushrooms (etc.) That is what she wants. I won't make her eat deer or lamb or even other elves just because portions of lore says she's supposed to.

The two Divines freed us from the Wild Hunt, asking only that we use the forest’s resources wisely and love the mighty graht oaks that provide homes for our tribes.”

I agree.

I also like Buffy's answer to the Arch Mage. Nature is not all butterflies and sunshine. smile.gif There are thunderstorms, tornadoes, earthquakes, freezing cold, and so on. She can incorporate all of this into her new association with Kynareth, as the need arises from time to time. Druids in a lot of role-playing games also rely upon natural forces such as these.

Whoa. That is it! Deep! [censored] what an ending. indifferent.gif I knew it was coming soon, because you said it'd go into the summer. I love that though. Those lights flicker at the very end. I wonder if anyone else in the room noticed?

Very nice, Sir Acadian. cake.gif Thank you for sharing Buffy Book 3.

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 26 2020, 06:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:37 PM