71 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
1234king
post Nov 13 2009, 02:26 AM
Post #81

Knower
Group Icon

Almost finished Faith of The Fallen, the 6th book in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series

--------------------
Sigs are stupid!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olen
post Nov 13 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #82

Mouth
Group Icon

Can't say I got on with Goodkind's style when I tried it...

Anyway I finished Iain M Banks Inversions. To be honest it's not the best of the culture series, fairly compelling but I'm not sure I really got what it's point was. Banks being as he is that may in fact be the point, or I may have missed something.

I'm now reading Bernard Cornwell's Vagabond which is the second of the 'Grail Series'. It's brilliantly written (as was the first, Harlequin) and has the added bonus of being extremely historically accurite. While the main character himself didn't exist and for one person to be involved in all he is would be far fetched many background characters are historical figures and actual events are described as happened (with a very few execptions which are noted at the end). I like the fact that it describes actual events and everyting in it could have happened (though probably not to one person). Certainly a series I'd recommend, its set in the hundred years war, around the late 1340s.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
milanius
post Nov 14 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #83

Agent

Zeit zu leben und Zeit zu sterben (Time to Live and Time to Die), by Erich Maria Remarque.

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
minque
post Nov 15 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #84

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(milanius @ Nov 14 2009, 04:55 PM) *

Zeit zu leben und Zeit zu sterben (Time to Live and Time to Die), by Erich Maria Remarque.

OMG! that book is one of my absolute favourite ! I read it for the first time many many years ago, when I was pretty young. My dad had it and I was too young to be allowed to read such books...But..I read it anyway..when my folks were asleep!

Since then I've read it several times..hmm think I'm gonna go for it soon...

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 19 2009, 01:24 AM
Post #85

Master
Group Icon

Jamaica Me Dead- Bob Morris

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Darkom
post Nov 25 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #86

Retainer

Ah, I always read four or five books at once, usually two or three novels and a few history or philosophy books. Right now I am reading "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas, "The English Philosophers from Bacon to Mill" edited by Edwin A. Burt, "A History of the Ancient World" by Chester G. Starr, and Hannibal (of Carthage) by an author I cannot seem to recall.

--------------------
Happiness is not an ideal of reason, but of imagination. -Immanuel Kant

Proud member of the Scribe's Corner!
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post May 22 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #87

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Just finished reading "The Paladin" by C.J. Cherryh which had been recommended to me. Not bad, would probably appeal to fans of Feist etc, but I expected a little more from it if I'm honest. From the author who created The Morgaine Saga, The Faded Sun Trilogy, Chanur & Downbelow Station... Good, but not as good as I hoped.

I've got a treat coming now though. Those lovely folks at Amazon have finally delivered me my copies of two brand new hardbacks. "Under Heaven" by Guy Gavriel Kay, and "Kraken" by China Mieville. I've got a good week of quality reading ahead of me biggrin.gif So excited about Under Heaven, been waiting years for his new one.
+Quote Post
minque
post May 23 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #88

Wise Woman
Group Icon

I'm very fond of the Norwegian author Jo Nesbo, and I've been reading and still read, his wonderful books about the detective Harry Hole....

I guess our norwegian members know this author and his books pretty well! wink.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post May 23 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #89

Mouth
Group Icon

I have just finished reading Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses which is a scathingly satirical essay written by Mark Twain and first published in 1895. As a work of literary criticism it stands alone. Twain is at his most venomous and irreverent, and by the time you finish reading it you truly do feel sorry for the man who brought us The Pathfinder, The Deerslayer, and Last of the Mohicans.

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post May 25 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #90

Knower
Group Icon

Just finished The River Why by David James Duncan. Full of farce, fable, metaphysics, and fishing. An interesting novel.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post May 26 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #91

Knower
Group Icon

The Two Swords, by R.A. Salvatore. It's about Drizzt Do'Urden, the Chaotic Good Drow Ranger who was formerly of House Do'Urden and renegade of Menzoberrean.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
lovest.harding
post May 26 2010, 05:26 AM
Post #92

Unregistered

I've been reading D. M. Cornish's Monster Blood Tattoo series.
They're alright books. If you're willing to put up with his obsessive need to list every detail that could possibly be listed. >>

It's a shame too. The more tense action is quite good while the ideas are sound and interesting.

I'm only finishing the second because my friend and I decided we'd do a book club thing (as she moved pretty far away with her boyfriend and I never see her). She isn't really enjoying it a lot either.
Very slow read, trying to sit through the place names (especially of places and locations the main character will never ever visit) and the author's need to tell us four different names for one thing when he'll only ever use one name from then on (sometimes he'll bring out one of the other names and just confuse me more too).
+Quote Post
DarkZerker
post Jul 12 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #93

Agent

Reading the Odyssey by Homer. It's a really interesting but hard read.

--------------------
Never argue with an idiot, They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Banana Cream Marmalade is good on pickles.
-A wise sage.
+Quote Post
Ornamental Nonsense
post Jul 22 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #94

Evoker

For some really informative and excellent reading, I recommend Mary Roach's 'Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers'. I finished that a little bit ago, and it was fantastic.

As of right now though, I'm re-reading Dostoyevsky's 'The Idiot'. Excellent reading. If you haven't given the man's books a try, but you love amazing, psychological portraits of people and dark topics, he's a must-read.
+Quote Post
DarkZerker
post Jul 25 2010, 04:56 AM
Post #95

Agent

As of right now...The Art of War.

--------------------
Never argue with an idiot, They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Banana Cream Marmalade is good on pickles.
-A wise sage.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 20 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #96

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(DarkZerker @ Jul 12 2010, 03:25 PM) *

Reading the Odyssey by Homer. It's a really interesting but hard read.

I loved it, really interesting.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Aug 23 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #97

Mouth
Group Icon

I just finished Wizard and Glass by Stephen King and I very much enjoyed it, by far the best of the Dark Tower (so far, each has been an inporvement on its predecessor) and probably the best thing I've read by him. The atmosphere was bang on and the character interactions excellent. I've no idea what genre it is though, somewhere between fantasy, horror and western...

I'm now reading a collection of Lovecraft's stories which are ok, the characters are a little flat and the way he writes has been overused since but they're enjoyable enough. Being written between 80 and 90 years ago the view of the world is entertaining anyway (you'd think there would be a limited number of mad Arab prophets, but it seems not).

This post has been edited by Olen: Aug 23 2010, 11:56 AM

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Rachel the Breton
post Aug 31 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #98

Agent

I just finished Laurence Rees' "Auschwitz: A New History" (which, btw, was a really stupid choice for reading before bedtime [alas, the only time it seems I have to read tongue.gif ]...but a fascinating read nonetheless) and Brooke Allen's "Moral Minority" (a much better choice, and a fascinating read as well). Now I'm starting Alison Weir's "Mary Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley". I've read other books of hers, and they are fantastic, so I'm excited!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 31 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #99

Master
Group Icon

I have been on a Nero Wolfe binge of late- having added a number of the 3-in-1 novellas to my Kindle. And that will almost certainly lead to watching the A&E series with Timothy Hutton and Maury Chaykin again.

Also reading Shoot to Thrill by P.J. Tracy. It is a murder mystery also- but the protagonists are a group of very clever computer programmers. This is the most recent book in the series, which started with Monkeewrench.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 11 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #100

Mouth
Group Icon

I just finished reading 'The Dwarves' by Markus Heitz. It's about a Dwarf who has been brought up by humans who is thrust into an epic adventure of fantastical fantasy. Well worth a read for any fans of fantasy books. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post

71 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:03 PM