Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I'm Lost!, non-linear dungeons in Skyrim
Lady Saga
post Feb 13 2013, 12:49 AM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

I am finding Skyrim's dungeons to be easy to walk through most of the time. Most of Skyrim's dungeons simply go one direction: in and out, with very few side passages. If there's a second or third way to go, very often it'll immediately dead-end, and it becomes very obvious which direction is the one we're looking for.

....This is one thing I like about dungeons in Cyrodiil: yes they are sparser, and aren't packed with stuff (as Skyrim's lairs are) but oftentimes Cyrodiilic lairs will feature areas with multiple directions to go in. They challenge us to remember which way is the right one!

We might come to a room for instance that has 2, 3, 4, 5... I've seen up to 6 or 7 exits! Which way is the right way? ... I used to wind up going in circles in some of Cyrodiil's: especially caves and Ayleid ruins. Forts aren't as hard, but also could offer some twists and turns, and if the player (me) was not using the map, all a sudden I could be seriously lost for hours! wacko.gif

This thread is going to be dedicated to those lairs in Skyrim that have the ability to get us seriously lost. Mycharonna the Ice Witch is in one such lair at the moment. It is called

Fallowstone Cave

There is a quest related to this cave but I won't spoil. Anyways, this is a big cave, with one very large main cavern. And it's not so much that there's multiple directions to go (multiple exits, that is) that the cave is just so large, with all sorts of ledges to climb upon. There are also some side exits here and there. I think I've found three so far. I won't spoil, but they do lead to some interesting little things!

Anyways, if anybody has other such places that they've found, I want to see what others have discovered.

Shriekwind Bastion

Fort Neugrad

Alftand

Nchuand-Zel

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Mar 7 2013, 03:20 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
flowerboom
post Feb 13 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #2

Agent

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 12 2013, 11:49 PM) *

I am finding Skyrim's dungeons to be easy to walk through most of the time. Most of Skyrim's dungeons simply go one direction: in and out, with very few side passages. If there's a second or third way to go, very often it'll immediately dead-end, and it becomes very obvious which direction is the one we're looking for.

....This is one thing I like about dungeons in Cyrodiil: yes they are sparser, and aren't packed with stuff (as Skyrim's lairs are) but oftentimes Cyrodiilic lairs will feature areas with multiple directions to go in. They challenge us to remember which way is the right one!

We might come to a room for instance that has 2, 3, 4, 5... I've seen up to 6 or 7 exits! Which way is the right way? ... I used to wind up going in circles in some of Cyrodiil's: especially caves and Ayleid ruins. Forts aren't as hard, but also could offer some twists and turns, and if the player (me) was not using the map, all a sudden I could be seriously lost for hours! wacko.gif

This thread is going to be dedicated to those lairs in Skyrim that have the ability to get us seriously lost. Mycharonna the Ice Witch is in one such lair at the moment. It is called

Fallowstone Cave <-I will put a link here, tomorrow)

There is a quest related to this cave but I won't spoil. Anyways, this is a big cave, with one very large main cavern. And it's not so much that there's multiple directions to go (multiple exits, that is) that the cave is just so large, with all sorts of ledges to climb upon. There are also some side exits here and there. I think I've found three so far. I won't spoil, but they do lead to some interesting little things!

Anyways, if anybody has other such places that they've found, I want to see what others have found. But no quest-related spoilers, please!

Haha people act like "hand-crafted" dungeons are a new thing , in the oblivion dem videos todd actually says all of oblivions dungeons are hand crafted

I think 80% of skyrim dungeons are boring and linear . Oblivion had some interest ( like the ayelid statues)

This post has been edited by flowerboom: Feb 13 2013, 03:16 PM
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 13 2013, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Nchuand-Zel is a Dwemer dungeon located inside of Markarth's Understone Keep. It is a sizable dungeon that I didn't quite get lost in, but I did wonder "how the heck do I get over there?" You can see the path you need to take, but you aren't quite sure how to get there.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 13 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

I've been replaying Daggerfall recently, and most of those dungeons are complex mazes that are so confusing my characters won't go in until they have a Recall spell to instantly take them back to the entrance. They're constructed out of blocks that you can get familiar with, but the blocks are connected at random, so familiarity breaks down at the joins.

They also have an unfortunate problem with the target cell sometimes being unreachable without levitation, or some other mechanism the player may not have available. In extreme cases the target can be in a cell with no doors!

I've also installed Arena, but haven't checked out the dungeons yet. I'm guessing that, based on the apparent simplification trend you're describing, that they will be totally impossible.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 13 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

flower: Oblivion's dungeons use 'tile-sets' (I think that's the word) that are copy/pastes from one dungeon to the next. These tile-sets are put together by hand perhaps, but this does not change the fact that they are very easy to spot and this is where the "generic" complaint comes from. OB's dungeons also mostly feature random loot and enemies, rather than hand-placed loot and enemies.

Granted, none of this bothers me per se. I am not the typical TES customer who complains about the "cookie-cutter" aspect of Cyrodiilic dungeons: I enjoy dungeon-diving in both OB and Skyrim. But I like the fact that OB's dungeons actually are more challenging to find our way through.

King Coin: thanks! I will remember to check that one out when I pass by!

ghastley: that sounds interesting about DF's dungeons. How is Daggerfall with random/hand-placed stuff? Just curious.

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 13 2013, 04:44 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Daggerfall had a Main Quest sequence that was non-linear, and some parts were optional. All the quests in that had hand-placed quest items (not generally loot, more things you needed for the next quest). You'd also find randomly-generated loot on enemies, and loot piles in those dungeons.

The same set of building blocks was used in the MQ dungeons, but they'd also have unique parts, generally the ones that contained the quest item. Proportions of generic to unique varied.

Locations of "boss loot" or unique artifacts were hand-placed in the sense that the building block sections of dungeon had those location pre-specified, and those were typically behind hidden doors etc. But a quest from a Daedric Lord to find a unique artifact might make use of a randomly-selected dungeon, and the artifact would be generated at the appropriate point in that. One or two of the MQ series worked this way and you could be sent to any one of a small selection of dungeons to find the next item, but most sent you to a specific location.

All of the dungeon layouts are fixed, but they were generated by a random process by Bethsoft, and then baked-in. If you go back to a dungeon a second time, it will be the same layout as before, although the monsters and loot will have re-spawned, with new random selection. You'd probably not notice, as the huge number of dungeons swamps your memory of their layouts.

Enemies in dungeons are generally level-scaled to match the player, but the game throws in a few random ones that aren't. Your level-1 character may run into a level-21 lich in the first place they visit! And to balance that, a level 50 character will still find rats.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 13 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

I’ve gotten lost in a few Dawnguard locations because they’re dark and sometimes it’s hard to see where to go next. Not completely lost like in Oblivion’s Ayleid ruins, though. Also in some of the DG locations there’s occasionally more than one path to the next section. So of course I want to explore every inch, but Mikke of Green River (my only character who has gone through the quests) wants to blaze her way straight to whatever she’s promised someone she would kill.

Saga, I had to go to the uesp to get Jensa out of Fallowstone Cave or she and Stenvar would still be in there. That was fun. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 13 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #8

Agent

yeah well have you noticed you get a pattern in skyims dungeons as well ?

I dont find oblivions dungeons linear AT ALL , granted the loot is tedious but every ruin is differant and has interesting unique features.

From what i can see , and i have extensivly dungeon-dived there has been no improvement whatsoever on hand-crafted dungeons . Bar a few "demo" dungeons made to project a fake image of skyrim ( like bleak falls barrow)

Mind you 95% of skyrim is like this , eveything is scripted , less quests , less quest hours , anybody see bards collage ? What a JOKE , they made two quests for it . One of which was a boring dungeon-dive and the other one was half-compleed , typical of skyrim , the "new" way of tes thinking.

After playing the game once i have no inclination to play t again , the companions had what ? 5 quests , ow sure it had tons of " radiant" quests. If i want that type of quest i can go on a gameing site , not waste my money on an over-priced game nono.gif

Yup im a harsh critic of skyrim , the game was a joke compared to the previous two titles , just my opinion .....

This post has been edited by flowerboom: Feb 13 2013, 05:15 PM
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 13 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Feb 13 2013, 10:44 AM) *

All of the dungeon layouts are fixed, but they were generated by a random process by Bethsoft, and then baked-in. If you go back to a dungeon a second time, it will be the same layout as before, although the monsters and loot will have re-spawned, with new random selection. You'd probably not notice, as the huge number of dungeons swamps your memory of their layouts.

This is interesting! There is a game on PS2 called Champions of Norrath that randomly creates worlds and dungeons, too. CoN is a game I was rabidly playing (and replaying) back before I got OB because every time I started a new CoN game, its world was a little bit different. goodjob.gif

QUOTE(Grits @ Feb 13 2013, 11:00 AM) *

Saga, I had to go to the uesp to get Jensa out of Fallowstone Cave or she and Stenvar would still be in there. That was fun. smile.gif

Fallowstone Cave is actually a surprisingly simple dungeon once the gamer figures it out! It's another in-and-out, really. The difference is there's all sorts of little niches and areas to get stuck on as we try to navigate "in and out". But once I figured it out, I was like OH...duh..! Took me over an hour (Earth time) to get back outside of Fallowstone to Skyrim, though.

QUOTE(flowerboom @ Feb 13 2013, 11:14 AM) *

I dont find oblivions dungeons linear AT ALL , granted the loot is tedious but every ruin is differant and has interesting unique features.

You talkin' to me? I never said Oblivion's dungeons are linear...that's the point I was trying to make in the OP. They often are not linear.

Yup im a harsh critic of skyrim , the game was a joke compared to the previous two titles , just my opinion .....

I disagree, but I'm tired of disagreeing with people lately, and then having to defend my point of view. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Feb 13 2013, 06:07 PM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

I did get lost in Alftand, but I think that has more to do with that particular dwemer ruin being a pain-in-the-you-know-what than in any level design inspiration. I seem to remember constantly tripping over bodies that I had killed only minutes before. It took me hours to find my way through that place... and I haven't been back since.

--------------------
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 13 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #11

Agent

in fairness skyrims ruins were very interesting , in particular the dwemer ones

+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 14 2013, 01:19 AM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Feb 13 2013, 12:07 PM) *

I did get lost in Alftand,

Cool, thanks for sharing. As I explore Skyrim more and more I'm going to be using this thread to see if I experience the same things (feeling lost!) in the places people bring up.

QUOTE(flowerboom @ Feb 13 2013, 12:13 PM) *

in fairness skyrims ruins were very interesting , in particular the dwemer ones

I really love Skyrim. I don't care if you do or don't, but it hurts my feelings that you feel you have to bash it to pieces in a thread that I started. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Feb 14 2013, 01:21 AM
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Feb 14 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

In my first playthrough of Skyrim in 2011 I encountered a lair of Falmer somewhere north, I don't remember its name or anything else but I remember there was a main room and several ways led out. Most of them quickly ended but I had to be careful when returning to the main room because I couldn't be sure if there are more Falmer lurking somewhere. And when I finally thought that I got them all, I was ambushed by another one just when stepping into the main room - Then I discovered that there is another way going out of the main room! I was very satisfied with that cave.

I've so far mostly explored caves and camps but I'm very satisfied. There is one camp north of Whiterun, I think it's called Halted Stream Camp where it's obvious that bandits were running sort of 'butchering-mammoth' operation - it kinda gives some purpose to the camp! Not to mention that the camp had two entrances / exits but one exit is sort of dead-end and you can quickly die if you use it as an entrance. I won't spoil it how, probably most of you already know.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 14 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, there are also some ice caves on Solstheim that have a lot of winding passageways. Mikke and Torvar got turned around in there more than once.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 14 2013, 03:28 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Feb 14 2013, 02:38 AM) *

There is one camp north of Whiterun, I think it's called Halted Stream Camp where it's obvious that bandits were running sort of 'butchering-mammoth' operation - it kinda gives some purpose to the camp!

I love it that the bandits in the forts/castles/caves all seem to have some sort of plot going on. smile.gif In Oblivion (not to put it down, Oblivion is a wonderful game that I played for many years) most of the bandits just seemed to be hanging out where ever they were for no particular reason.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 14 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

Fort Neugrad's interior is non-linear. Its not very big mind you, and you are not going to get lost inside it. But it is shaped sort of like a big donut, with an extra passage going down into the hole.

I recall a bandit ice cave that is similar, but even smaller. I think it is between Morvunskar and Raldbthar? You walk inside and there is essentially a big circle, then at the far side of the circle is a campsite and more stuff.

I think the ice cave where Luke and his lightsaber leveled sword are is the same way too. Not very big, but basically a circle.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 14 2013, 06:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 17 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks Miss Rosa. I know that name Neugrad, but I'm not sure if I've been there or not.
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 9 2013, 01:59 AM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Feb 13 2013, 09:23 AM) *

Nchuand-Zel is a Dwemer dungeon located inside of Markarth's Understone Keep. It is a sizable dungeon that I didn't quite get lost in, but I did wonder "how the heck do I get over there?" You can see the path you need to take, but you aren't quite sure how to get there.

Yes, i am in this lair now, and can defintely see what you mean.

I have linked all the places so far in the OP by the way, to keep things easy to navigate.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 10 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

Irkingthand (I think it's that one...) is a huge place, from what I remember...There's loads of towers outside and bandits...No, not the one you go to for Mjoll....It's part of the MQ so you can only go so far into it before you do said Q-thing...But, once you're in the MQ the interior of the place is gigantic...I have to admit, there was a couple of "Do you remember where I came in?" moments to the kids (almost supernatural memories on the pair of them...)...
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 10 2013, 02:08 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Mar 10 2013, 10:07 AM) *
Irkingthand (I think it's that one...) is a huge place, from what I remember...There's loads of towers outside and bandits...No, not the one you go to for Mjoll....It's part of the MQ so you can only go so far into it before you do said Q-thing...But, once you're in the MQ the interior of the place is gigantic...I have to admit, there was a couple of "Do you remember where I came in?" moments to the kids (almost supernatural memories on the pair of them...)...

Do you mean Blackreach? The one with the gigantic cavern and all the cool glowing mushrooms and stuff, right?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:21 AM