Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

706 Pages V « < 689 690 691 692 693 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coffee Shop Forever, It's time to kick bottom and drink coffee!
Acadian
post Sep 29 2020, 11:04 PM
Post #13801

Paladin
Group Icon

Aww, sorry to hear that, Khajiit. sad.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 29 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #13802

Ancient
Group Icon

Aye, sorry to hear that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 30 2020, 12:23 AM
Post #13803

Master
Group Icon

<nods> My condolences! I've not yet lost anyone close to me (to my knowledge) to C19, but it's an ever-present possibility I myself am considered 'high risk', which doesn't lighten the situation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 30 2020, 12:33 AM
Post #13804

Ancient
Group Icon

Thanks y’all.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 30 2020, 02:04 AM
Post #13805

Master
Group Icon

My sympathies CK. Please stay safe, everyone.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 30 2020, 05:03 AM
Post #13806

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm very sorry to hear it, Khajiit. You have my sympathy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 30 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #13807

Master
Group Icon

So sorry Khajiit, to hear about your boss. Who needs more stress at work these days? If he was a good boss to you, consider yourself blessed - such bosses are few and far between.

Yes, I agree that this is way too serious to take lightly. Still wearing masks whenever I step out of doors, still getting groceries et. al. delivered (only exception is my Panera's Coffee, which I get via curbside pickup), still staying home otherwise.

I had some blood tests done for my pituitary gland Monday, I'll learn the results tomorrow. I also need to connect with my ENT to make an appointment in a couple of weeks.

Started my first day of WFH yesterday - four hours of online chat. It was slow, which is okay considering I haven't had the opportunity to practice much with the tools and workflow. Otherwise it was good to interact with people about this sort of stuff again. I have eight hours today through Saturday (off tomorrow because of Dr. appt) but it shouldn't be too bad.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 30 2020, 03:16 PM
Post #13808

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 29 2020, 04:24 PM) *

My boss that I worked for the last 10 years for died today. Covid. Forget the politics. This stuff is serious and it can take away you or someone you love. Please do everything within your power to be safe!

Sorry to hear that mah boyo. Sending internet hugs.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 30 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #13809

Spam Meister
Group Icon

You lost your boss too, Khajiit? Different reason than mine, but still.

Sorry to hear about it. Stay safe at work!

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 30 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #13810

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 29 2020, 05:24 PM) *

My boss that I worked for the last 10 years for died today. Covid. Forget the politics. This stuff is serious and it can take away you or someone you love. Please do everything within your power to be safe!

Aw Khajiit; I am so sorry to hear that!

You are so right; this pandemic is a serious threat. I have known only one person who died from it; but a second has been in critical care on and off since March = 33 years old; and he is unrecognizable from the boy who was first raced into the hospital back then.

For anyone who doesn't know: In May they discovered that the virus has mutated in just months; making new and much more virulent strains of itself. The new strains CAN infect someone who has previously had the Coronavirus.

Also; very much like Strep virus: Coronavirus can and does find "safe places" within your body to hide while you are being treated for it (IE: scar tissue from previous surgeries; pockets of fat; etc) and it will re-attack you when the treatment stops. In those areas it creates cysts that are breeding grounds for the virus; which can go completely undetected by the hospitals until the cysts start to break. When the cyst breaks; the virus then spreads again all through your body; but now with a stronger hold and a much weaker host. These cysts can mobilize to different areas; including the brain.

This virus is not something to play around with; it is far worse than the SARS pandemic a decade or so back. It is best to take every precaution. Just a few examples:

Door handles, shopping carts, and elevator buttons are hotspots for germs = don't touch them except with a disposable tissue or wipe; then dispose of it right away. Public toilets that need manual flushing = same thing.

The virus is heavy; and when someone coughs or sneezes; or just breathes it out = it is going to go down to the next surface and lay there; so when grocery shopping keep that in mind when you are picking up your items.

Something not many think about is shoes = you are out walking on some germ laden floor in public; then come into your home with those same germs and track them all over your house on your nice carpet = Take your shoes off at the door; and never touch the bottom of your shoe with your hands. Wash your hands after handling them.

Here is one I learned from Acadian: He washes his groceries the minute he returns from the store; and the clothing he wore in public does not come through the house or sit on furniture = it is immediately removed and put into the washer. That was a great tip from him; I have been doing this too now.

Anyone else have any tips; might be a good time to air them.

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 30 2020, 04:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 30 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #13811

Ancient
Group Icon

Thanks y’all.

mALX, thank you for posting that info here. I know I’ll be referring to it to make sure I’m doing the best I can.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 1 2020, 07:09 AM
Post #13812

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 30 2020, 05:17 PM) *

Thanks y’all.

mALX, thank you for posting that info here. I know I’ll be referring to it to make sure I’m doing the best I can.

I hesitated to do that; especially with what you are going through right now; really glad it didn't offend.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 1 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #13813

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 1 2020, 01:09 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 30 2020, 05:17 PM) *

Thanks y’all.

I hesitated to do that; especially with what you are going through right now; really glad it didn't offend.

Not at all, mALX! It’s good info that we all can use.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 3 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #13814

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 29 2020, 11:24 PM) *

Well... balls.

Sorry to hear sad.gif that sucks. Just lost a friend to it recently too, but I had come to terms with it as soon as I heard she had it due to age.

Still sucks. Hugs for you.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 4 2020, 05:43 PM
Post #13815

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 3 2020, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 29 2020, 11:24 PM) *

Well... balls.

Sorry to hear sad.gif that sucks. Just lost a friend to it recently too, but I had come to terms with it as soon as I heard she had it due to age.

Still sucks. Hugs for you.

Thank you. I’m sorry for your loss as well. *hugs in return*

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 6 2020, 02:39 AM
Post #13816

Master
Group Icon

Does anyone here have sleep apnea or is close to someone who has it? I've recently been diagnosed with it, and given the choice between convention oxygen tank, mask and so forth and Inspire treatment. Inspire looks appealing on the surface (tank and mask don't) but I don't know enough. Most of what online searches unearth has the spell of paid-for-testimonial shills. At any rate, any insight on this is most appreciated.

(Even simple stuff like, will I be able to drive myself home after (outpatient) device implant surgery? The closest Inspire treatment doc who accepts Medicare pricing is over an hour ride away. Or so I'm told.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Oct 6 2020, 02:50 AM
Post #13817

Master
Group Icon

Mrs. has a CPAP and has done for a number of years. Now that she has a well-fit mask, it does pretty well. She is able to sleep on her back or either side without difficulty. One DOES have to be aware of the hose... and of course, power outages....

It is a good idea to "pad" the contact points with moleskin or similar to reduce chafing. Dry mouth CAN be an issue.

For those who have to deal with the fact that our bladders seem to have shrunk to the size of a ... pea (pun intended)- there is a quick release so getting up and then reconnecting is not a chore.

The surgical, "maskless" treatments are unknown to me, so I would not venture an opinion.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 6 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #13818

Master
Group Icon

Yeah CPAP isn't too terrible really. I'd be leery of surgical procedures myself, mostly because I don't trust them to work worth a crap.

I do hope you get something sorted out though. Sleep apnea sucks.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 6 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #13819

Master
Group Icon

I was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea this past spring, and have been using a CPAP since. It took a couple of tries to find a mask that fit, but now I sleep pretty well with it. Like Mrs. Treydog, I can sleep on my back or on my side without dislodging it much, so that's a plus. I toss and turn fairly often through the night, and toss off the covers a couple times a night as well (due to hot flashes/night sweats - old lady issues), and none of that interferes with the CPAP.

I don't use an oxygen tank, but rather a small machine that sits on my night stand and provides the PAP I need to sleep. In your case, the severity of the sleep apnea may dictate a bulkier set up - I don't know. But I do know that the model I use is small and easy to use.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 6 2020, 04:00 PM
Post #13820

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 5 2020, 09:39 PM) *

Does anyone here have sleep apnea or is close to someone who has it? I've recently been diagnosed with it, and given the choice between convention oxygen tank, mask and so forth and Inspire treatment. Inspire looks appealing on the surface (tank and mask don't) but I don't know enough. Most of what online searches unearth has the spell of paid-for-testimonial shills. At any rate, any insight on this is most appreciated.

(Even simple stuff like, will I be able to drive myself home after (outpatient) device implant surgery? The closest Inspire treatment doc who accepts Medicare pricing is over an hour ride away. Or so I'm told.)

Any of those day surgeries = no matter what they will NOT release you to drive yourself home. They would be responsible if anything happened to you if they did; their malpractice insurance wouldn't allow it. Your Brother will probably have to drive you there and sign you out; or the VA can arrange your transport to and from = they do that all the time; even if the trip is over an hour.

I have never heard of any surgical procedures for Sleep Apnea; only the CPAP option with or without oxygen added. If you need oxygen, then this would be the best choice for you anyway.

Treydoggie's description is really accurate. If your skin is in any way sensitive; most def use a little cloth between the mask and your skin. An old T-shirt would work, just cut a square out to line where the mask hits your skin; and then cut out the circle for your nose and mouth.

But those masks and respirators are the only thing I've ever heard of being effective; so be careful of any new procedures out there unless your own regular lung doctor can tell you about them himself.

If you sleep on your back, that isn't good if you have Sleep Apnea; that position aggravates the problem. Laying on your side causes the least amount of pressure on that weak point; so never sleep on your back without the CPAP on.

Sleep Apnea is caused by a weakness in the front of the trach tube. If you are overweight; (which you are NOT; but your "Adam's Apple" may be pushing down there) = the extra weight will rest on that weak spot and cause it to collapse; closing down the breathing and causing it to stop until your body's survival instincts kick in and jerk you back into breathing again.

The period of time between when the obstruction causes your breathing to stop and your body kicks it back into action can be as long as a minute or more; but even if it is just seconds at a time it will cause damage.

It will make you wake up more tired than you felt when you went to bed because your body isn't getting the rest it needs; but worse = every time you sleep and your Apnea is stopping your breathing like that; your vital organs are losing the life sustaining oxygen they need to function. You will end up with damage to your organs, including your brain if the Apnea isn't treated properly.

So I would be really leery over any experimental procedures or surgeries unless your lung doctor himself brings them up or discusses them with you.

The "mask and tank" may not sound appealing to you; but you can get used to them and they do solve the problem of the Apnea. You just have to get used to the sound of the machine and the suction with that mask on.

They do offer much longer hoses between the machine and the patient so you can place that machine further from you and cut the noise down. Also; the CPAP normally has an option to add moisture = the vapor of heated water to keep your mouth from getting so dry. The longer breathing tubes may negate the help of these.

The only thing about the CPAP is that you absolutely have to clean them after use. When you get up in the morning and take the CPAP off; pull the hoses out and hand wash them with dish soap and water in the kitchen sink; and remove the little water tank out and wash it too. Set them out to air dry after rinsing; or if the tank part is machine washable = much better; stick that in the dishwasher. (the hoses won't wash well in the dishwasher though; they HAVE to be done by hand).

--------------------
+Quote Post

706 Pages V « < 689 690 691 692 693 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:11 PM