monkeyemoness
post Aug 29 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 28 2018, 11:19 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Aug 28 2018, 08:56 PM) *

I'm wary of giving CDPR any money

Oh? Khajiit isnā€™t very familiar with the company having never played any of the Witcher games, but this one thought CDPR was fairly well regarded. Is this not so?

'Pends on who you ask. Personally, I'm a little wary of giving money to a company that abuses its employees (particularly during TW3's development), among other things. Just to be petty, I'm also adding "Cannot Write Hispanic Characters" to that list of reasons. :v

Anyways, it's still too early to judge this game, but again, color me intrigued in spite of my hangups.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Aug 29 2018, 08:35 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 29 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Aug 29 2018, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 28 2018, 11:19 PM) *

I'm wary of giving CDPR any money

Oh? Khajiit isnļæ½ā‚¬ā„¢t very familiar with the company having never played any of the Witcher games, but this one thought CDPR was fairly well regarded. Is this not so?

'Pends on who you ask. Personally, I'm a little wary of giving money to a company that abuses its employees (particularly during TW3's development), among other things. Just to be petty, I'm also adding "Cannot Write Hispanic Characters" to that list of reasons. :v

Anyways, it's still too early to judge this game, but again, color me intrigued in spite of my hangups.

This one wasnā€™t aware they abused their employees. Khajiit must look into this.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 10 2020, 05:26 PM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

So has anyone here played this game yet?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 10 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #24

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 10 2020, 11:26 AM) *

I'm thinking of getting it when my new computer arrives. But from what little I've heard and seen of reviews, it seems to be doing pretty good so far. But apparently it is also absurdly buggy (AAA game buggy on release? Shocker.) and the movement is pretty bad. Overall, though, most people seem to really like it.. Obviously, I can't speak personally yet.

With how much fans and CDPR have hyped this game beyond reason, I'm not sure that this game can meet expectations regardless of how good it is. We'll see soon enough.

ā€-------------

Wow, this topic hasn't been commented on since Aug. 2018? That was when monkey was still active. I wonder what they're up to now.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 10 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 10 2020, 11:29 AM) *

I'm thinking of getting it when my new computer arrives. But from what little I've heard and seen of reviews, it seems to be doing pretty good so far. But apparently it is also absurdly buggy (AAA game buggy on release? Shocker.) and the movement is pretty bad. Overall, though, most people seem to really like it.. Obviously, I can't speak personally yet.

With how much fans and CDPR have hyped this game beyond reason, I'm not sure that this game can meet expectations regardless of how good it is. We'll see soon enough.

ā€-------------

Wow, this topic hasn't been commented on since Aug. 2018? That was when monkey was still active. I wonder what they're up to now.

Yeah Iā€™m probably going to wait a bit to get it, as there seems to be a good bit of weirdness with it right now. I just read that some characters have their breasts and/or male genitalia clipping through their clothes. laugh.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 10 2020, 11:39 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 10 2020, 01:30 PM) *

Yeah Iā€™m probably going to wait a bit to get it, as there seems to be a good bit of weirdness with it right now. I just read that some characters have their breasts and/or male genitalia clipping through their clothes. laugh.gif

That is big **** energy right there!

I remember when Cyberpunk 2020 was a tabletop rpg. I never played it though, because my group was into Shadowrun instead (which is also a cyberpunk game, but with magic thrown in as well).

I cannot say I have been incredibly enthusiastic for it. I like the genre, so I am interested. But I do not feel any great need to go out and buy it. It is something I will just watch to see the news on and maybe I'll look for some gameplay vids a few months from now. Maybe if it sounds good I will buy it next year when Gog does a summer sale.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 11 2020, 06:27 AM
Post #27

Mouth
Group Icon

Looking on Steam, I currently only see two good, legitimate attempts at actual reviews on the front page. I'm fine with the funny ones to a certain extent (as long as they aren't too numerous), but I hate the effortless, short garbage like "This game good. Go buy." or "Game is fricking trash, don't buy." Why even bother writing anything in these cases? Or it will be either some sort of vendetta against the company who made it, or bootlicking, sycophantic praise of the company.

Anyway, those two reviews are negative, but in an effort to be more balanced, I took a positive review that seemed to be a decent attempt at reviewing the game at first glance (tbh, I haven't read it yet) and I'll show it alongside the other two (which I did read). The negative ratings make me rather concerned about the game on a fundamental level.

Negative Reviews:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/HypocriticalD...mended/1091500/
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656119...mended/1091500/ (This one, in particular, got a lot of reactions.)

Positive Review:
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656119...mended/1091500/

This game was never going to live up to the hype that both CDPR obnoxiously generated for years and ridiculous gamers built in their head, but it seems to be more than just coming up a bit short. Still, the reviews are mostly positive, it appears. I don't want to get carried away either way.

EDIT: I'll also add that I've really been itching for some more cyberpunk-themed games. Unfortunately, most of the ones that do exist aren't--or don't appear to be--games I would be interested in. One exception was System Shock 2, which is a great game and it hasn't aged too badly. So I'm hoping that Cyberpunk 2077 turns out well. But it's hard, if not impossible, to fix the fundamentals, so if those are a problem the outlook isn't good.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Dec 11 2020, 06:30 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 11 2020, 06:43 AM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

One reviewer mentioned being sent back to a checkpoint when you died. Is this the kind of game where you can only save at checkpoints, rather than anywhere, anytime?

Edit: I looked it up and it says that while it has an autosave feature, you can also manually save. They don't say specifically whether that saves your progress at your exact location, or if it saves you at the your last Checkpoint. I am guessing the first. But you never know with games ported from a console.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 13 2020, 11:22 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

Iā€™ve decided to wait for things to settle down for a while before reading any reviews. Honestly Iā€™m not able to buy any games right now anyway, so Iā€™ll be waiting for a sale at some point.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 15 2020, 11:13 PM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm hearing more and more about how horribly the game runs on lower-end consoles. Obviously PS4 and XBox 1 are going to lag behind PS5 and Xbox Series X (or S or whatever it is), but it sounds like it is practically unplayable. From what I hear, it often drops to 15-20 fps. Hell, people are having trouble with the next-gen and PC versions, unless you are absolutely top-of-the-line in PC specs (which, yeah, that should be the case). If that's the case, that's really inexcusable.

Now, I don't want to be biased and just hone in on negative reviews. I haven't seen many positive reviews yet that really make a good attempt to explain their reasoning, though I haven't really tried seeking them out. I've just done a cursory scan of store pages and sometimes coming across stuff on Reddit. (For all its issues, Reddit can actually have quite a large amount of good and interesting discussion about things like video games.) It's a natural human bias to put more stock into the negative than the positive, but this review from the front page of Cyberpunk's GOG store page really stuck out. [I thought you could embed pictures in here? I can't find the option for it now. Ugh. I'll just copy-paste the text.]

Red text denotes what I added for clarity.

Reviewer: Vapnik

Games: 170
Reviews: 3
2 out of 5 stars (couldn't actually copy-paste the stars)
A disappointment

December 10, 2020 - Verified owner

Cyberpunk 2077 rides on a lot of goodwill from the incredible Witcher 3. Without that goodwill the hype would not be there. Unfortunately, I can't say that it has lived up to the hype.

Everyone has talked the bugs and performance issues to death so I won't repeat them. They're bad, really bad, but probably fixable.

What isn't fixable is the game itself. There's no RPG to this RPG. The story railroads you from one mission to another, the three starting prologues all lead to the same place with the same beats, no matter if you're a Corpo or a Nomad your V will act like the same streetwise edgelord so it doesn't matter. There's no real dialogue choices, you have one dialogue option and some optional chit chat below it.

The characters are all forgettable and it's often unclear why you're supposed to care about the missions. Person X wants item Y but Person Z wants you to screw over Person X etc etc. At no point did I feel any connection to anybody or any sense of why I'm doing what I'm doing. It's all edgy but shallow characterisation. The dialogue is also wooden and gives me no reason to care.

The world is impressive... at first. Then you realise it's all an elaborate shallow stage. You can barely talk to any civilians and they just mindlessly walk straight ahead. No interactions or cool moments like in GTA or RDR. If you shoot your gun dozens of NPCs go into an identical crouching animation forever. The cops can be defeated by standing against a wall as they always spawn behind you. It never feels like you're in a living world, more like a heavily choreographed stage surrounded by lifeless robots.

The gameplay is also unsatisfying. There's a heavy focus on gunplay but none of the guns feel satisfying. Enemies are bullet sponges and you barely react to being shot. Ironically swords break the game by stun locking enemies. Stealth is almost impossible to pull off and hacking is clunky so they're rarely viable options.

It hurts to admit but this is a bad game.

Is this helpful to you? yes no (897 of 1379 users found this helpful)

(Side note: GOG really needs to let you add more characters to your reviews. I've posted four reviews on the site, and 2000 characters just isn't enough to get out everything you want or need to say.)

You can read other GOG reviews here: https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077

This sure sounds pretty bad. Seems like they should've cooked it some more, but at this point they probably had no choice due to investors and rabid, capital-G Gamers. Then again, CDPR could've helped themselves out by not hyping the game for 8 damn years.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Dec 15 2020, 11:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 16 2020, 12:38 AM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, at least they seem to be trying to do the right thing...

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 16 2020, 03:11 AM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

This might be better than the game

Too bad for Keanu, that he hitched himself to this. He deserved a better game to be associated with, like Red Dead 2.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 16 2020, 03:17 AM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 15 2020, 08:11 PM) *

Too bad for Keanu, that he hitched himself to this. He deserved a better game to be associated with, like Red Dead 2.

Eh, I suspect heā€™ll be fine.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 16 2020, 04:05 AM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 15 2020, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 15 2020, 08:11 PM) *

Eh, I suspect heā€™ll be fine.

Yeah, but he's a really cool guy. He deserves better.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 16 2020, 05:59 AM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 15 2020, 09:05 PM) *

I havenā€™t totally given up on the game. I feel that, given enough time, CDPR are going to fix it and make it into something incredible. If that never happens, well then, yeah, I was wrong. Itā€™s just that Iā€™ve learned that not all games that launch with rocky starts end up being terrible games.

I could say I feel bad for those who bought the game on day 1, but I donā€™t. Folks should know by now that games these days arenā€™t generally worth buying until theyā€™ve had several rounds of patches.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Dec 16 2020, 06:00 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 16 2020, 06:52 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 15 2020, 11:59 PM) *

I havenā€™t totally given up on the game. I feel that, given enough time, CDPR are going to fix it and make it into something incredible. If that never happens, well then, yeah, I was wrong. Itā€™s just that Iā€™ve learned that not all games that launch with rocky starts end up being terrible games.

I could say I feel bad for those who bought the game on day 1, but I donā€™t. Folks should know by now that games these days arenā€™t generally worth buying until theyā€™ve had several rounds of patches.

It is not the bugs that make the think that. It is the number of people saying how shallow the game is, and how there are no real options in dialogue, or a reason to care about any of the npcs giving you quests, and things like that. I don't see that ever being fixed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 16 2020, 02:11 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

Right, I know nothing at all about this game or its series. But this morning a local radio DJ (who is a huge gamer) was talking about how Cyperpunk's devs are simply giving out refunds. Not even bothering with patches. I don't know if this is true but having a quick glance at your all's posts here it seems to be. sad.gif So sad.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 16 2020, 03:10 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 15 2020, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 15 2020, 11:59 PM) *

It is not the bugs that make the think that. It is the number of people saying how shallow the game is, and how there are no real options in dialogue, or a reason to care about any of the npcs giving you quests, and things like that. I don't see that ever being fixed.

Maybe not. Weā€™ll see I guess.

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 16 2020, 07:11 AM) *

Right, I know nothing at all about this game or its series. But this morning a local radio DJ (who is a huge gamer) was talking about how Cyperpunk's devs are simply giving out refunds. Not even bothering with patches. I don't know if this is true but having a quick glance at your all's posts here it seems to be. sad.gif So sad.

I mean, the company has posted an apology, which I linked to a few posts up, and in that apology they say they are working on patches. So, again, weā€™ll just have to wait and see. Or not, I canā€™t buy games right now anyway so it may be a good thing Iā€™m having to wait. If it doesnā€™t get better, then Iā€™ll have lost nothing.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Dec 16 2020, 03:12 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 16 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 17 2018, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jun 17 2018, 12:33 AM) *

Hoi there, chummer. Always geek the mage first and never ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Yep, Iā€™m in love with Shadowrun too. Actually I fully got into the whole cyberpunk setting because of the games they released recently; Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall. Left me in a state of post-BTL jonesing tbh; left me wanting for some more. So itā€™s safe to say iā€™m Interested as all hell. Ciri from Witcher said she was in the world of Cyberpunk 2077, so maybe in this game weā€™ll see her as an Easter egg.

Slot it and run chummer. smile.gif

Back in the pen and paper Shadowrun, there was an adventure where you had to cut a deal with a dragon. It ended in a huge pile of drek. laugh.gif

rollinglaugh.gif

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jun 17 2018, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jun 17 2018, 10:09 AM) *

An adventure where you have to willingly cut a deal with those flying lizards and still come out smelling like drek? Lofwyr mustā€™ve been the Johnson for that!

Damnit now Iā€™m in the mood to play SR. Thanks a lot, Sage Rose! devilsad.gif

Man I wonder if we can customize our characters in CP2077 and make them look like fantasy humanoids I.E elves and such. Iā€™m telling you, that would be so dope!

Characters are supposed to be fully customizable, but Khajiit thinks itā€™s limited to humans.

It is; I watched the (censored version of the) full CharGen on Youtube.

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 27 2018, 08:16 PM) *

They dropped a 48 min gameplay vid for Cyberpunk today. Have yet to check it out but thought it would be good to post an alert here for those who may not have known but are interested.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G51GkSmQAmQ

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 16 2020, 03:55 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 28 2018, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Kane @ Aug 28 2018, 10:35 AM) *

CDPR off to a fast start with boobs and the c-word about 2 minutes into the gameplay. laugh.gif It's funny how different two large studios like them and Beth approach content in their games.

Khajiit thinks itā€™s probably because CDPR is European and Beth is American. Here we have always been told ā€œnudity is badā€ and over there they have nudity in frickinā€™ commercials. Cultures are just different. Khajiit is all for adult content as long as itā€™s appropriate to the setting of the game.

Khajiit is right; Americans are actually kind of prudish compared to the rest of the world when it comes to nudity. In most of the places I went in Europe nudity was just a natural thing to see; and so was peeing/defecating = perfectly natural functions; no need to hide what you were doing. Children see it all as natural growing up; so don't think anything of it when they see it.

My first impression on being driven from the airport in Germany to the town we were going to live was seeing a man peeing on the side of the road facing traffic; and another sitting on a guardrail defecating with his butt facing the road so we could all see the turds dropping as we passed. (not that we wanted to; but there it was).

The TV stations; TV shows; and newspapers all had nudity without any "ratings system" or any "warnings;" and even their cartoons in the newspaper could have nude pictures edited for effect. I saw one with Hillary Clinton's head superimposed onto an actual photo of a nearly nude dominatrix; (just a studded leather garter belt on) with Bill Clinton's head superimposed over the man's head (who was on his knees with a studded leather dog collar on his neck). It was a newspaper cartoon; but it was an actual photo they had superimposed Hillary and Bill's heads onto.

QUOTE(Kane @ Aug 28 2018, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 28 2018, 11:41 AM) *
QUOTE(Kane @ Aug 28 2018, 10:35 AM) *

CDPR off to a fast start with boobs and the c-word about 2 minutes into the gameplay. laugh.gif It's funny how different two large studios like them and Beth approach content in their games.

Khajiit thinks itā€™s probably because CDPR is European and Beth is American. Here we have always been told ā€œnudity is badā€ and over there they have nudity in frickinā€™ commercials. Cultures are just different. Khajiit is all for adult content as long as itā€™s appropriate to the setting of the game.

Yeah, that last part is key. If it's shoehorned in to appear "edgy", then it's just a waste of pixels and memory.

Agreed.

On one hand I'm wary of giving CDPR any money, but on the other the more that's slowly revealed about the game the more I get excited about it. Slightly apprehensive, but mostly intrigued. :v

Also holy [censored] that "Hispanic" guy is obnoxious as [censored] who the hell wrote his lines?

MONKEY !!!!!

*mALX wipes tear, then sees date this was posted...*

"Urgh, am I necromancing a thread here?"

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Dec 10 2020, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 10 2020, 11:29 AM) *

ā€-------------

rollinglaugh.gif Someone customized giant appendages on their characters? Lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 16 2020, 03:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:10 AM