Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy - Book 3, We're Having a Crisis Here!
macole
post Jun 13 2020, 06:59 AM
Post #181

Mouth
Group Icon

No greater love a Godmother can have than to let one's child go out freely on her own. I suspect Azura is shielding a tear.
Daedra love, they just don't want or can't admit it.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 17 2020, 12:05 AM
Post #182

Councilor
Group Icon

“Welcome to Moonshadow, Godchild. Take a moment to get your bearings.”

Ooo, shivers! I love that Azura brought Superian with Buffy. I have been hoping that Buffy would get to visit Moonshadow! I absolutely loved this face-to-face tea party with the Mistress of Twilight.

One unfortunate consequence of my wardings is that the Divines cannot reach your spirit and, therefore, cannot communicate with you.”

What a heartbreaking and hopeful revelation. I remember Buffy in the Imperial City’s Arboretum with the statues of the Divines. I imagine the sorrow of Akatosh, Mara, and Kyne if they had tried and failed to reach her. Azura’s loss is their gain, or at least their opportunity. Let’s see what they make of it!

Also, so that’s what happened to the Dwemer?! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 17 2020, 12:48 PM
Post #183

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- Shortly after Buffy left Bravil, Azura transported her to Moonshadow where the two had an enlightening conversation. Buffy learned that Azura was her godmother and had blessed/cursed the elf with wardings that protectively shielded her spirit. One consequence was that the wardings also prevented the Divines from communicating with Buffy. Believing that Buffy’s way forward required support of the Divines, Azura lifted her wardings.

Renee- I couldn’t resist having one of Buffy’s first reactions be, ‘Uh oh, I’m in trouble for loaning out Azura’s Star!’ It does indeed mark a major shift in Buffy’s life that she’s no longer a Slayer. Despite Azura’s self-doubts about being a godmother, it seems she has done well enough in the role to foresee and allow Buffy to progress toward her destiny.

SubRosa- My intent has been to show Azura as dangerous and vengeful, but somewhat awkwardly capable of loving a small elf as her goddaughter and, ultimately, choosing to elevate what she perceived as Buffy’s needs above her own desires. Thank you for pointing out that Buffy’s first inclination was to ask Azura to be her sponsor – my intent there was to show the depth of Buffy’s loyalty when it comes to those she believes love her. We’ll see going forward that Buffy will not disavow Azura – even if it means not being chosen by the Divines.

ghastley- I had great fun with the pair of ‘sweeping’ vengeful actions Azura relayed to Buffy. Lore actually supports the story relayed in ‘Azura and the Box’ as what some scholars believe led to the Dwemer’s disappearance. Azura’s responsibility for Winterhold’s catastrophe is pure Buffy fiction but it made sense to me, given the proximity of her shrine and Nelacar’s association with the College.

Rider- Given how long Buffy’s saga is, I’m always grateful for the opportunity to review aspects from her past. Book 2’s prologue was a meeting between Azura, Mara and Kynareth that took place in the clouds. The Divines asked for and received aid from Azura to 'influence' the brief appearance of an ice dragon in order to break a curse Kyne placed on dragons at the end of the Great Dragon War to prevent them from returning (Buffy fiction). The curse could only be broken if ‘one of Kyne’s ice dragons once again flies over Tamriel’. Azura ‘engineered’ an extremis situation forcing Acadian to briefly conjure Phantom in her full ice dragon Kyne-created glory to save Buffy’s life. Thus, Kyne’s curse was broken, clearing the way ultimately for Akatosh to assume his draconic form for his future battle with Mehrunes Dagon. . . and further into the future, the reappearance of Alduin. Buffy remains clueless as to the ramifications of Phantom’s brief appearance.

Lopov- The last episode with Azura did indeed involve quite a bit of exposition by dialogue to help ‘clear the way’ for Buffy’s future. Today’s episode will be similar in that regard as Buffy finally asks her old paladin for advice. Before long, however, Buffy will head to Bruma where plenty of action awaits.

macole- I’m so glad you made reference to Azura loving Buffy enough to ‘set her free’. Buffy will mention exactly that in today’s episode.

Grits- Oh gosh, I was so hoping Buffy’s transport to Moonshadow and greeting Azura would induce some shivers! Yay! Though Buffy will never disavow Azura, this episode was definitely bittersweet for both of them. Buffy is, however, greatly relieved to realize the reason the Divines have never spoken to her heart is NOT because she is too ‘defective’ for them to acknowledge.

Episode 27

The sun’s early rays were still peeking through the trees along the river as if no time had passed while we were in Moonshadow. I mounted Superian and we continued north as I pondered what Azura had told me.

Eventually I remarked, “Acadian, you’ve been unusually quiet during all this talk of paladins and such.”

After a moment, he replied, “The fact that Kyne selected me as a paladin of the Nine does not entitle me to either choose or limit your path. I know you will ask my counsel if you desire it.”

“Well, I desire it, my paladin.”

“Ask your questions, my elf.”

“First things first,” I said. “Before I go any further along the path Boderi suggests, I need to know how you feel about it. I will not make such a decision until I know your heart.”

“I would be proud to have you as a fellow paladin, but I want you to know the drawbacks of such a life before you consider it seriously enough to draw the attention of the Nine.”

“I want to know more about these drawbacks, Acadian. For example, though it is foreign to her nature, Azura learned to love me enough to master a lesson that eludes many mothers: If you love a butterfly, sometimes you must set it free. I will not turn my back on one who loves me. Not even for the Divines.”

“Do you judge Azura evil?”

“Many believe she is,” I replied.

“That is not what I asked. When it comes to determining good from evil, the Nine do not choose those whose opinions are swayed by what ‘many believe’ to serve as paladins. You must learn to trust the truth in your heart; if the Nine choose to offer insight, that is where you will find it. I ask again, do you judge Azura evil?”

I shook my head adamantly. “She is imperfect – like me – but she is not evil.”

“There is no reason to disavow her then. You asked about drawbacks though, Buffy. A paladin’s natural enemy is evil. As such, you will inherit many powerful foes who view you as a formidable threat. If the easier path of harming you via those you love is available to them, they will take it. Were you a paladin and Savlian your mate he would be in grave danger, for your foes would certainly try to strike at you through him. For that reason, paladins are best served by eschewing such close relationships with anyone not warded from evil.”

I bristled. “Savlian was strong and skilled as a warrior! He could protect himself.”

Acadian replied gently, “When it comes to steel, arrows or even fireballs, I agree. A paladin’s foes, however, would bypass his martial skills and strike with foul magic to corrupt his unwarded spirit. There is a reason paladins fight protected by no less than the power of the Nine Divines, for their foes range from ancient vampires to liches to cults that harness the full and terrifying power of Daedra Lords such as Mehrunes Dagon and Molag Bal. Such foes might strive, for example, to infect your mate with lycanthropy and, if not cured in time, delight in forcing your hand to kill the man you love. Or use foul ensorcelling to kidnap him in an attempt to dissuade you from disrupting their evil machinations.”

“But as a paladin I could guard and protect my own mate,” I protested.

“Yes, but full time guard duty would give victory to your foes by effectively curtailing your ability to seek out and destroy them. I once told you this about Superian, but it applies just as much to you in this case: ‘A warship is safe in port, but that’s not what she’s built for’. It is a sober choice where you must decide what you want to be built for. Being a loving mate and raising a family is not compatible with the life of a paladin. You asked of drawbacks and, knowing you to be the nurturing elf that you are, that’s a big one. I would not think less of you if you chose to avoid this hardship-fraught path.”

I was quiet for a long time before responding. “Perhaps Boderi is wiser than I realized. I’m a widow. . . and chancing upon another man I could love as much as Savlian seems unlikely. Even if I find such a mate, the odds of his totem being able to defeat my dragon totem means I will likely remain childless. Those I truly love are already warded from evil: You as a paladin and Superian because she has become one with Phantom, an ice dragon created by Kyne herself." I sighed. "Who knows though? Perhaps I could someday be drawn to a suitable paladin with similar concerns. I will think on this but perhaps it is not such an insurmountable drawback. What other problems might I anticipate?”

“If I have not dissuaded you thus far, then perhaps none," he replied. "A paladin delivers righteous justice when required but there is no room in her heart for vengeful retribution. Based upon your recent actions and words, I believe you have learned and understand the difference between the two.”

I nodded. “It didn’t happen overnight, but I think you’re right, Acadian.”

He continued, “You have on countless occasions demonstrated other attributes expected of a paladin. You protect the defenseless regardless of the threat. Your loyalty to any mortal organization, be it guild, city, county or empire never prevents you from following what your heart knows is right. Your current quest is replete with examples. You did not undertake the task of recruiting assistance for Martin on behalf of your guild or empire; rather you accepted the quest to support the just cause of your friends. When Captain Draconis was prepared to lead her brave guards into that Oblivion Gate at Lewawiin, you knew they were unprepared for such a task and took that risk upon yourself.”

“You’re making me blush, my paladin. In both cases, I was simply trying help my friends. You have, though, given me a much clearer picture. Tell me now, what kinds of powers and abilities do the Nine bestow upon paladins to help them combat evil?”

“There are four abilities that all paladins share,” Acadian began, “Only when they are considered together, and combined with a proven level of skill in combat, does a paladin become a formidable force against evil. The first power is Divine light. It is employed much as you use your guild’s arcane flame – to prove your credentials. You will meet many strangers and the ability to quickly and decisively verify that you are a direct agent of the Divines will speed and ease your tasks. And of course, like any light source, it is convenient for illuminating dark places. Well-trained, experienced paladins can even employ a variety of both offensive and protective uses of Divine light.”

“The second power is healing by laying on of hands,” continued Acadian. “You already demonstrate notable skill in this area, possibly due to my presence within you. Whereas you must empathically accept most of your patient’s pain, when a paladin lays on hands, much of that pain is shared with their Divine sponsor. This allows the paladin to safely address more serious wounds as well recover from the process more quickly. Shall I continue?”

“Oh yes,” I implored.

“The third of a paladin’s powers is detect evil. Again, you already possess a very limited ability here. The physcial bond you use when healing allows you a limited insight into your patient’s aura and the nature of their heart. A paladin, however, simply senses the presence of significant evil whenever it is nearby. A paladin’s final power is protection from evil. This does not help prevent physical injury; you must rely on your own combat skill for that. What protection from evil does, however, is constantly shield your spirit from the corruption of evil forces. Somewhat like Azura’s wardings, a paladin cannot be turned to vampirism, lycanthropy or any sort of corruption of their spirit.”

Surprisingly, my head was not spinning at all. “Light, healing, detect evil and protection from evil. That all makes perfect sense and seems somehow. . . familiar. As you say, I may have unknowingly absorbed some knowledge of these things from you.”

Superian, with no input from me, turned off the road, carried me a short distance to a patch of shade at the river’s edge and stopped. Kitsune, who had been alertly perched in front of me on Superian's saddle, leaped to the ground. I glanced up at the sun then dismounted. “You are right, my precious mare. It is time for water and lunch.” Superian drank her fill, then leisurely nibbled on some tender grass along the river’s bank as I ate a piece of flatbread wrapped around a slice of ham. We then shared an apple before I refilled my waterskin, mounted and continued north along the Green Road. Kitsune chose to lope along beside us.

“Thank you, Acadian. It is good to have some experienced answers instead of vague tales and legends.”

“I am well pleased,” he replied, “that the sober reality of what I have said does not seem to have deterred you.”

“I admit the possibility of never having my own family strikes hard. But I also realize that such is likely my fate whether I become a paladin or not. If I am called by the Nine, may I assume that you and Boderi would help train me?”

“You may assume so, although your sponsor will have a significant hand in your training as well.”

“I trust you two paladins will not try to put me into heavy armor and give me a big sword?”

Acadian chuckled. “I am confident that Boderi knows as well as I the futility of such an approach. No, you have prevailed over formidable foes many times with neither steel protection nor blade. Your skills and equipment will doubtless evolve, but it is clear that your strength comes from magic, not steel.”

Credits- I owe Elizabeth Moon and her novel The Deed of Paksenarrian for the four abilities bestowed upon paladins. Acadian’s comment about a ship in port has been attributed to several folks dating back to John A. Shedd in 1928.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 17 2020, 01:41 PM
Post #184

Master
Group Icon

An interesting conversation between the paladin and the soon-to-be-paladin. I love the sentence with the butterfly and setting it free, and the quote about a warship.

I mostly remember paladins from Baldur's Gate, but I often found their viewpoints too radical, too straight-forward, for them the entire world was white or black, without any shades in between. It was difficult keeping them happy in the party, unless one was strictly following the code of the law, because on anything else they'd frown.

However, it looks like that Buffy might be different if she decides to follow the path of the paladin. I'm curious why would having a family be completely impossible? I agree that it'd be difficult, but completely impossible? I'm just thinking out loud. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jun 17 2020, 01:42 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 17 2020, 03:21 PM
Post #185

Councilor
Group Icon

I trust you two paladins will not try to put me into heavy armor and give me a big sword?

Yup, played games that do that, so I know what she means. Strangely, ESO wants you to wear medium armor if you wield a big sword, and heavy goes with sword and board instead.

She'll find that if anyone needs her protection, they become the soft targets for her enemies, so don't let her despair about terrorism. Or treat everyone as expendable, either. It will be a hard job finding the middle ground.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 17 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #186

Ancient
Group Icon

I enjoyed your discussion of good and evil here. On one hand the question of Azura being evil or not shows that it is a nuanced situation, not a simple black and white proposition. On the other hand you threw out examples like Dagon and Molag Bal, who scales tip clearly in one direction only. Which you kind of need in order to have a character like a Paladin. Because they need that purebred evil to fight against. Now that I am playing Shadowrun again I am immersed in its nuanced world of shades of grays. Yet at the same time it has literal monsters so utterly inimical to life that they can only be termed pure evil, like Bug Spirits and Toxic Shamans. Even in a world as grim and dirty as Shadowrun, there is a place for Paladins.

The discussion of how the bad guys often won't attack a Paladin straight on, but instead would certainly try to do so through their loved ones felt very familiar as well. It is the classic Lone Ranger/Superhero situation.

Righteous justice rather than vengeful retribution is indeed a slope more slippery than a gelatinous cube on the slide of a glacier.

I liked the four abilities. I sort of vaguely remember them from Paksenarrian. Though it has been a while since I read those books.

“I trust you two paladins will not try to put me into heavy armor and give me a big sword?”
OMG, I almost spat out my water at that thought!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 17 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #187

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jun 17 2020, 08:41 AM) *

I mostly remember paladins from Baldur's Gate, but I often found their viewpoints too radical, too straight-forward, for them the entire world was white or black, without any shades in between. It was difficult keeping them happy in the party, unless one was strictly following the code of the law, because on anything else they'd frown.

I think that is where the term "Lawful Stupid" came from. But it might be older than even that. Being so inflexible that you cannot function in the real world is just, not something that can ever work.

It it is funny compared to the Paladins in Pillars of Eternity. They don't even have a deity, or source of divine power in any way. It is more that they belong to quasi-military orders, each with their own customs and values. In fact Pallegina - the NPC paladin you can have for a companion - is decidedly anti-religious.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 24 2020, 03:21 AM
Post #188

Councilor
Group Icon

I enjoyed learning more about what being a paladin means in Buffy’s world. Divine light sounds so cool!

The romantic in me jumped at the words “anyone not warded from evil.” And it warmed my heart to see Buffy also consider that possibility.

I love that Superian called a lunch break and found suitable water. That one small paragraph brought the whole episode to life!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 24 2020, 12:32 PM
Post #189

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- During the ride from Bravil toward the Arcane University, Buffy and Acadian had a lengthy conversation about the drawbacks and demands of being a paladin as well as the types of powers and abilities they wield.

Lopov- Yes, I remember Sir Keldorn of BGII well. Like you, I ascribe to a need for dealing with the reality of the shades of gray. I view Acadian’s question ‘Do you judge Azura evil?’ as one of Buffy’s first opportunities as a potential paladin to wrestle with making those kinds of decisions. You are right to question whether having a family is impossible or, more likely, a significant concern due to the point of vulnerability it provides.

ghastley- I agree that anyone Buffy cares for has the potential to be used against her as a soft target. Yet cutting herself off from having dear friends is a bridge too far for Buffy’s nurturing nature. More gray challenges to face.

SubRosa- The cautions you have voiced as Buffy considers the path of a paladin have helped me refine the safeguards I hope will characterize paladins in Buffy lore to ensure they neither twist nor abuse their Divine authority and remain above corruption. Paladins take their guidance directly from and only from their Divine sponsor, free of mortal intermediaries who sometimes twist Divine intent to their purpose. That is why we consider the Vigilantes of Stendarr a non-paladin group of knights claiming to represent Stendarr – and doing so rather imperfectly. Paladins must have a great deal of compassion to be chosen. Buffy has this in spades and I believe it will serve her well in not abusing her authority. The paladin abilities we borrowed from Paksennarian really spoke to me when I read the book. I think they’ll translate well into TES and fit nicely on the scale of being uniquely helpful, while avoiding the pitfall of being overpowered. I’m so glad that the idea of Buffy in heavy armor with a big sword inspired more than a faint smile. tongue.gif

Grits- I’m glad to hear the romantic in you clings to possibilities. Buffy also will not abandon the possibility that love may find a way. I’m glad you mentioned Superian’s insistence on a brief lunch break. Though it was a rather long episode, I felt it was so laden with dialogue exposition that a tiny intermission to ‘do’ something was called for.

Episode 28

It was late in the day by the time I got Superian settled in at Equestria. I blew her a kiss before my feet carried me up the steep granite steps that led from the Valley of Horses to the University.

“Welcome back, Buffy,” greeted the Order of the Lamp’s Palatinus as I entered the main lobby. “Messenger doves from both Agata in Leyawiin and Kud-Ei in Bravil have brought word of your success in both cities. Well done!”

“The tasks you asked of me are complete. I’d like to join Sirs Mazoga and Agronak in Bruma.”

Boderi nodded. “And you shall. Get cleaned up from your trip, then join me at the Mystic Mug for dinner and we will discuss things.”

After a welcome bath and exchanging buckskins for skirt and blouse, I made my way to the University’s tavern. Once we were seated with two goblets of Tamika’s and I had debriefed Boderi on events in Leyawiin and Bravil, she said, “I’d ask that you depart for Bruma in the morning. I expect Martin will soon try to taunt Dagon into opening a Great Oblivion Gate. Battlemage Cassius Vinipter is in charge of the guild’s contingent of mages up there. Please check in with him when you arrive.”

“Thank you, Boderi, I don’t look forward to the likely loss of brave lives but I do believe my place is alongside Sirs Mazoga and Agronak as they assist Martin.”

Savory smells of rosemary and sage announced the arrival of two steaming plates. Each hosted a piece of baked salmon nestled on a bed of noodles, covered with an herb cream sauce and garnished with several spears of grilled asparagus. They were quickly joined by a small platter laden with cheeses and warm bread for us to share. Between mouthfuls, I commented. “I didn’t realize how hungry I was!”

“And how goes your personal quest, Buffy?”

“I have not been called by the Nine but I’ve discussed the matter with Mara’s living saint in Bravil, Azura and rather extensively with the paladin who travels within me.”

Boderi smiled. “I’ve only read of Acadian in your journals and am pleased that you are now openly discussing him with me. If you are chosen, he will doubtless prove instrumental in your training.” She lifted an eyebrow warily. “Azura? Did she try to dissuade you from this path?”

“On the contrary. I learned that, per my mother’s request, Azura is actually my godmother and has monitored my growth since before I was born. She explained that the protective wards she placed on me at birth to protect my spirit have had the unfortunate side effect of preventing the Nine from communicating with me.”

Boderi frowned. “Daedric meddling! Those wards present a significant problem.”

“Not anymore,” I replied. “She supports whatever path I choose as any wise godmother would. At sunrise this morning, she removed her claim and all wardings from me so my heart would be open to the Nine.”

“By Julianos’ little teapot! I never would have anticipated such unselfishness from a Daedra Lord.”

“In her own way, Boderi, Azura loves me. I do not judge her evil, nor will I disavow her.”

“Based on what you have told me, I can understand, Buffy.”

“Palatinus, now that my heart is open to the Nine, how shall I proceed?”

“I want you to be careful what you ask for,” she replied. “As a paladin himself, I expect Acadian has explained the grim reality of what such a life entails?” After I nodded, she continued, “Have you decided then, that this is what you want?”

“It is, Boderi. I’ve seen the damage, heartache and tragedy that evil in powerful hands can cause – especially when augmented by the misuse of magic. If called by the Nine to serve as a paladin, I will embrace and try to live up to the role.”

“Very well then, and I’m proud of you, Buffy. I would urge you to tell the Divines exactly what you just told me. Then be patient. The decision to call you is theirs and, if it comes, will be on their timeline.”

“Thank you, Boderi, for providing the clarity needed for my next step.” Well satisfied by the meal, I lifted my arms, stretched and yawned.

Boderi stood. “I’m sure you’ve had a long day.”

“I want to ask the University’s priest some questions before I call it a night, but Superian and I will depart on the morrow before first light.”

The stars were still bright as Superian and I set out in the morning. My talk with the priest had been productive – to a point. I believed I had a good understanding of each of the Nine except Kynareth. The priest confirmed that, of the Divines, she was the hardest to clearly understand. He urged me to visit her shrine just west of the city on my way to Bruma and speak with a Priestess of Kynareth before asking the Nine to select me as a paladin. That was our destination this morning.

The sun was well above the treetops by the time we found Kynareth’s shrine deep in the forest. “Greetings, traveler. I am Avita Vesnia, Priestess to Kynareth.” A smile played about the corners of the white-haired Imperial’s mouth as she eyed the little vixen nestled in front of me on Superian's saddle. Near the edge of the clearing I noticed two other clergy. All three were clad in simple green robes.

“My respects and well met, Priestess,” I replied as I dismounted. “My name is Dame Buffy and I seek to learn more of Lady Kynareth in my quest to become a paladin.”

“You have come to the right place, young knight, and I shall do my best to answer your questions.”

Aware that Bruma awaited to the north, I wasted no time. “Is her name Kyne or Kynareth?”

“Long ago, our Lady was the Goddess of War and Storms. She called herself Kyne. At the end of the Merethic Era, the World Eater Alduin, his fellow dragons and their priests sought to conquer Tamriel. In response, Kyne created ice dragons and chose brave Nordic knights to be her paladin dragon riders in an effort to counter the forces of Alduin. Alas, her dragons and paladins failed and as the last of them perished, Kyne began to cry.”

I asked, “Would I be correct that Sir Acadian and his dragon, Phantom – known in the dragon tongue as Vensahliz - were the last to fall?”

Her eyebrows climbed in surprise before she nodded. “Oh my! I see you’re quite a student of the Great Dragon War.” She then continued, “It would ultimately require Akatosh’s intervention to help the Nords banish Alduin far into the future. Kyne’s tears, however, lasted over a century - adding to glaciers, deepening seas, and swelling rivers and lakes. When she saw how her rain, combined with her sunshine nurtured the creations of her sister, Mara, it quite changed her. She devoted herself to sustaining the forests and its creatures. It was then she began calling herself Kynareth. She is the Goddess of sky, wind, rain, storms and sunshine.” Avita tilted her head to look pointedly at my large ears. “In Valenwood, she is known as the Sky Goddess, and Mara is called the Mother of Nirn.”

I nodded. “The tribes of my Cloud Dancer Clan worship the Nirn Mother and Sky Goddess instead of Yffre.”

“Then you are familiar with how Mara creates, and Kynareth sustains, the trees and creatures of your forests.”

I looked up at the azure expanse above that was interrupted by only a handful of white clouds. “Why is there no chapel to Kynareth?”

Avita raised an eyebrow. “But there is and you are standing within it. The forest surrounds us instead of walls, birds sing more beautifully than any choir and Kynareth’s own sky is our ceiling. Nothing we could build would compare to its majesty and beauty.”

“Do you think Kynareth would be a good sponsor for me as a paladin?”

“That is up to her,” said Avita with a chuckle. “Besides, I don’t know you well enough to offer such an assessment. What I can tell you is that Kynareth is a free spirit and as elusive as a butterfly in a thunderstorm. Of the Divines, she is the most whimsical and least likely to embrace rules and convention.” Avita glanced around her at the deer, rabbits, gently swaying trees and brilliant blue sky. “See what I mean?”

“Thank you, Priestess. You’ve provided much clarity.”

“May the Nine ease your travels, young knight.”

Note- By this point, and looking back over Buffy's life, it should be fairly clear that her most likely Divine sponsor will be either Kynareth or Mara. I am taking significant liberties in developing both deities to suit our purpose, as they play a critical role in Buffy’s long term future. Just as the details of Mara and Kynareth vary among cultures (eg: Kenarthi in Elsweyr), Buffy’s perception of them will resemble that held by her Cloud Dancer Clan.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jun 24 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #190

Master
Group Icon

A delightful interval this morning, while I am enjoying a RL break from oppressive summer heat and humidity (high of 77 today, which is just FINE).

I've always felt a particular connection to Kyne/Kynareth myself, ever since I found her little shrine in the forest west of the Imperial City. No temple? One has only to look to Nature to find Kyne.

While Lady Cora lived and ruled under the precepts of Arkay, I suspect her heart lies with either Kyne or Mara, as they are closest to the deep, old power she understands as Nirn.

Julian, though ruled by both Julianos and Akatosh, also listens to Kyne, as it is in her Redguard seafarer blood to do so.

And I suspect anyone who loves animals and nature as we do (me and my collective toons) would agree. Kyne is Kyne, and it would do well to respect her before one loves her.

While Mara embodies Love, to me Kyne embodies Life.

I look forward to Buffy's days in Bruma. I rather suspect that while she may not be in the forefront of things, she will be very busy indeed. And perhaps one of the Divines will call to her on the battlefield? They tend to do things like that at our most unguarded moments . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 24 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #191

Councilor
Group Icon

I love the notion that Mara creates and Kynareth sustains. Buffy and Avita’s discussion about the Sky Goddess provided the clarity I needed to “get” the Kyne-Kynareth of Buffy’s world. As you say, it is no surprise that the field of Nine Divines quickly narrows to two likely sponsors for Buffy. It is a delight to come along on her journey of discovery. wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 24 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #192

Ancient
Group Icon

Let me guess, Buffy's Divine patron will be Tiber Septim? laugh.gif

The Mystic Mug is a great name for a mage's watering hole. Wow, they serve quite a dinner there! Now I am hungry.

I too really liked the idea that Mara births, and Kynareth nurtures. Likewise, I was right there with the priestess describing the forest, animals, and sky as Kynareth's chapel. Given her whimsical nature, I suspect that she might be a perfect fit for Buffy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 26 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #193

Master
Group Icon

Some beautiful and rich lore behind Kyne / Kynareth and Mara.

I liked the scene with "the chapel" of Kynareth as well, the priestess provided a wise answer to a thoughtful question.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 26 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #194

Ancient
Group Icon

I wonder if Mystic Pizza is across the street from the Mystic Mug?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 1 2020, 11:55 AM
Post #195

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- Having completed her quests in Leyawiin and Bravil, Buffy returned to the Arcane University and checked in with Boderi. The following morning, Buffy departed for Bruma, stopping briefly along the way at the shrine to Kynareth. The able priestess there was able to clarify Buffy’s questions about the somewhat complex and elusive Divine.

Rider- I recall Lady Cora’s concept of the deep, old power that literally comes from the ground beneath her bare feet. I also agree that aspects of it certainly overlap with the way I’m trying to develop the Nirn Mother and Sky Goddess in Buffy’s world.

Grits- Your comment that Mara creates and Kyanareth sustains is concisely on the mark. You now realize the challenging, but win/win choice the Divines have to make in terms of who best suits Buffy’s nature. Mara’s power of love to inspire selfless action on behalf of others she holds dear? Kynareth’s penchant for nurturing and likely endorsing naked waterfall dancing? It took drafting some of the key scenes in the latter part of the book both ways before Buffy’s sponsor clearly revealed herself to me.

SubRosa- I agree that Kynareth would be a good fit for Buffy. And so would Mara. Though in the end a paladin can only have one sponsor, I have tried to ease the impact somewhat by presenting Mara and Kynareth as sisters who work closely together. From Azura’s cloud top meeting with the pair during the prelude to Book 2, to Azura mentioning them both in the same breath, to the Priestess of Kynareth being unable to fully describe her Divine without mention of Mara, to Buffy being raised in the City of Mara but traveling with an old paladin of Kyne. Just as there is a duality in Buffy herself (Buffy + Acadian), I suppose it should be no surprise that a degree of duality (Kynareth + Mara) exists with either of the two Divines in question.

Lopov- Thank you (and everyone, really) for accepting and even embracing the liberties I have taken regarding some of the details of Kynareth and Mara to support Buffy’s fiction.

~ Part 6 – The Battle of Bruma ~

Episode 29

“Are you Battlemage Cassius Vinipter?” I asked the steel-clad Imperial under a blue hood as I briefly conjured the arcane flame of guild recognition to my hand.

“Yes, just Cassius is fine and I greet you, guildmate. Welcome to Bruma.”

“Well met. I am called Buffy. Boderi Farano asked me to report to you.”

“Your face is new to me but I’ve heard of you, and Boderi briefed me on your skills before I left the University.”

“How can I best help?” I asked.

“I want you on the castle’s front wall with the archers during the coming battle. You’ll find an elf from the Skingrad Fighters Guild named Parwen up there; she’s in charge of the city’s ranged defense. Once the Great Gate is closed, head for the chapel to help the healers and priests tend to the inevitable wounded. When you get there report to Carahil – she’s part of the Anvil contingent of our guild. Questions?”

“Do we know when the Great Gate will open?”

“Not precisely,” he replied. “Martin’s plan is to march on Bruma at dawn tomorrow. Our guess is that will trigger several small gates to open, then the big one.”

“Got it. I’ll report to Parwen.”

Cassius nodded. “Grab some chow on the way. We’re hoping for a boring night then busy day tomorrow.”

After some hot stew with crusty bread at the field galley and filling my waterskin, I made my way up the main gatehouse and out onto the front wall. I recalled Parwen from last year’s archery tournament held in Bravil. The brunette wood elf was easy to spot, for she possessed the diminutive stature of a Bosmer paired with incongruously imposing breasts that rivaled those of a Nord. “Parwen!” I called with a wave.

“Buffy!” I remember you from the tourney. Your skill with a bow is most welcome up here.”

I noted numerous archers spaced along this section of wall. Several were within earshot and I returned their waves of acknowledgement. “How can I best support your plans, Parwen?”

“We expect several small Oblivion Gates followed by a big one to open right out there.” She pointed north-northeast toward an area more or less directly in front of the city’s main gatehouse. “Archers are up here on the front walls and most of the mages are atop the towers with a few healers and illusionists down on the ground. Bruma’s garrison, augmented by soldiers from other cities and melee members of the Fighters Guild, is down below and forward of the castle walls. Their ranks’ll swell dramatically when Martin’s army arrives tomorrow around dawn. A major concern is avoiding friendly fire. Tactics on the ground will be to form a defensive line, let the Daedra come to them and avoid getting close to any Oblivion Gates. Our job is to attrite as many Daedra as possible right as they come through the portals. The grunts’ll stay out of our killing zone in front of the portal openings and we’ll keep our arrows out of their melee engagement area across the front of their line. Don’t try to shoot Daedra once they get into melee range of the grunts. I don’t want the healers pulling a single friendly arrow out of our own troops. Got it?”

I nodded. “I’ve experienced the situation you’re trying to avoid. Archers firing into close combat on a busy battlefield can cause a lot more harm than good. I think you’ve got a prudent, effective plan.”

“I’m glad you’re on board, Buffy. Our enemies will almost certainly attempt to break through the defensive line and breach the main gatehouse to gain access to the city. Daedra are dangerous and relentless foes, especially in numbers, but their tactics are simple and predictable.”

“Where do you want me, Parwen?”

“Find a position along the wall north of the gatehouse and try to get some sleep in place. Those south of the gatehouse are up and alert now. Every two hours through the night we’ll rotate that so we’ve got a constant watch but everyone gets some rest – or at least tries to.”

As she turned, I remembered. “Oh, Parwen, once the Great Gate is closed, Cassius Vinipter wants me to augment the healers at the chapel.”

She faced me again, one eyebrow raised. “You’re a healer and archer both?”

“Yes. I’m a mystic archer, skilled with bow and the magicks of healing and illusion,” I gestured at the dagger riding on one of her hips and winked, “but I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with one of those.”

“Good to know, Buffy. If we take casualties up here, I’ll call for you.”

Archers were spaced every five or so paces apart along the wall. Between each firing position was a barrel filled with extra arrows. I found an open spot, retrieved a wolf pelt from my mage pouch to wrap around me, then curled up on the hard stone to try and rest. Kitsune appeared and dutifully settled in with me. Despite her small size, the extra body heat was welcome.

Between the cold, stone, noise and being roused every two hours to stand watch, I didn’t get much sleep. Serving girls from the city’s taverns supplied us with flatbread, ham slices and water a couple times during the night.

As the horizon gradually lightened and twinkling stars yielded to hints of a new day, I yawned and stretched - stiff from sleeping on cold stone. My vixen familiar disappeared; I had learned she was no fan of crowds. The tavern girls were making their way along the wall again, this time issuing us warm oatmeal muffins and steaming black tea. I felt a bittersweet tinge as no butterfly joined me this sunrise.

When the sun finally allowed its first rays to spill over the horizon to our front, I was grateful for the hint of warmth they promised. The air up here in Bruma still retained some autumnal moderation and the season’s first snowfall had not yet occurred. Though still too cool for my Bosmer blood laced with the tree sap of a southern Valenwood graht oak, I was grateful we were not fighting in the bone-chilling cold that would later descend upon this city so close to the Skyrim border.

When the sun was fully resting on the horizon, I heard the distant blare of trumpets. Parwen shouted, “Everyone on their feet! Won’t be long now.”

As she made her way along the wall cheerfully talking to the archers, one of them grumbled, “Whoever planned a dawn battle with the rising sun in our eyes musta' been a few arrows short of a full quiver.”

Parwen addressed his concern, “Have you ever seen an open Oblivion Gate?”

“Well, no,” was the response.

“Be at ease,” replied Parwen with a grim smile, “for an Oblivion Gate darkens the sky and blocks the sun. It belches plenty of firelight though. You’ll be able to see your targets just fine.”

Soon, I heard the sounds of heavy hooves and marching boots – lots of them - approaching from the road to our north.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 1 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #196

Councilor
Group Icon

I thought my love life is hopeless. At least I've never had to worry about somebody's totem defeating mine!

I agree about trying to discern Kynareth's message, and several other Aedra and Daedra. Some of them are definitely more vague than others.

I like that "guild recognition" magic being cast there. How clever. And goodness. Buffy on the "front lines" with other archers? blink.gif Oh no no no.... apparently there's been some miscommunication. nono.gif

Yeah, make sure she fills that waterskin.

She faced me again, one eyebrow raised. “You’re a healer and archer both?”

“Yes. I’m a mystic archer, skilled with bow and the magicks of healing and illusion,” I gestured at the dagger riding on one of her hips and winked, “but I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with one of those.”

There we go. Starting to get the feel for what you've got there, Parwen.

Trumpets blare. It's so odd battlefields used to feature musical instruments.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jul 2 2020, 01:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 1 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #197

Master
Group Icon

Ahh, this brings back memories - tinged with an equal mixture of fondness, nostalgia and pure terror!

This jumped out at me:
I felt a bittersweet tinge as no butterfly joined me this sunrise.
I hope whatever Divine calls Dame Buffy sends a similar companion/reminder of her patronage daily to fill that void!

Parwen's plan is sound. One potential nit:
Our job is to attrite as many Daedra as possible
Is that even a word? I am familiar with attrition; however, I am unable to identify a verb for it (attrite) in the Oxford dictionaries I have installed on my Mac. I'll defer to the military specialist, and I wonder if this is something Parwen would say - does she have a propensity to make up verbs for these kinds of situations? Since it is dialogue, I'm not sure I would change it. I just wondered if this was your intent.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 1 2020, 08:56 PM
Post #198

Ancient
Group Icon

We're getting down to the Battle of Burma now! I can't wait to meet General Slim, and see Kohima and Imphal.

Yay its Parwen! I still recall her from the Torment Tournament of Archers. Carahil too! It is nice to be seeing a lot of old friends once more.

I cannot imagine being able to sleep the night before something like that. Not even on the softest feather bed, let alone stone.

Nice observations on not only the rising sun, but also how Gates bring their own Oblivion weather with them.

@haute: I have heard the term attrite used by military people in documentaries before.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 3 2020, 06:52 AM
Post #199

Master
Group Icon

You're nicely "building up" the story before the great battle.

Great to see Parwen again! Too bad there wasn't the familiar butterfly this time, but by now we know, why it must be like that.

I wonder who could be riding from up north? Blades perhaps?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 8 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #200

Paladin
Group Icon

Previously- Buffy finally arrived in Bruma, where Martin’s army was expected to arrive the following morning and likely trigger the opening of a Great Oblivion Gate. Buffy was assigned to augment the city’s currently reinforced defensive effort by joining the archers along the front wall and, once the anticipated battle was over, to join the healers in Bruma’s chapel to help mend the wounded.

Renee- I owe Jean M. Auel and her massive series of Earth’s Children novels for the role of totems in conception. Hopefully, Buffy will be safe up on the castle walls with plenty of soldiers on the ground in front of her. We’ll see in today’s episode the value of trumpets for signaling commands above the din of battle.

Rider- Though our battle for Bruma will have its own twists to support the story, I’m pleased that so far we’re evoking some nostalgic memories. Thanks for your endorsement of Parwen’s concept and precautions. Thanks for sharing your question about ‘attrite’. I encountered its use many times in my career during tactical briefings and consider it largely military jargon. After you mentioned it, I checked and was able to find it as a verb in the on line dictionary I use. I’ve encountered that before – some dictionaries list a word while others don’t. Regardless, I appreciate your sharp eye and the opportunity to confirm my use of it was intentional.

SubRosa- Hee! Buffy has found she can even sleep in the upper branches of a tree when she needs to. The archer’s concern about the rising sun in their eyes struck me as well when I was drafting the scene. Then I had a forehead slapping moment as I realized the same thing Parwen explained to the young archer. I’m glad Parwen evoked some memories. I remember her fondly from our joint Teresa/Buffy presentations of the Tournament of Archers. Buffy will similarly get to work with Carahil (Anvil guildmagister) during the battle’s aftermath.

Lopov- I hope our presentation of the actual battle in today’s episode lives up to your kind words about our build up to it. Looks like the Fighters and Mages guild support are in place, along with contingents from various guard forces across Cyrodiil. Some big players are still unaccounted for, so let’s bring them into play before we kick off today's big battle.

Episode 30

The noise of the approaching army grew louder as its lead elements passed the castle’s northwest tower and came into view. I smiled to see Knights of the White Stallion in gleaming armor astride their warhorses. They were followed by several units of infantry displaying the Legion banner and equipped with shields and short swords. I recalled Savlian Matius explaining that such units were designed to fight in tight formation and hold a front line. Following them were more Legion units carrying their long spears vertically as they marched. I heard Parwen’s voice nearby, “Those spearmen will array themselves close behind the front shield line and, while thusly protected, be able to thrust over the front ranks.”

The knights split into two groups, each taking a position well out on the forward flanks. The Legion units moved much as Parwen had described, into an imposing line between the castle and where we expected the gates to open. Simultaneously, the castle’s garrison, along with its augments from other cities and the Fighters Guild, repositioned to fortify the ends of the front line in depth, presumably to inhibit flanking by the enemy.

I saw Martin astride a bay warhorse, bareheaded but wearing ornate plate armor and flanked by the horses of Sirs Mazoga and Agronak. Closely trailing Martin was a unit of Blades. I recognized Baurus, along with the balding Blade who was their leader. I couldn’t recall his name, only the unpleasant welcome he had given me the one time we met at Weynon Priory. Finally, were the trumpeters, accompanied by a handful of brown-robed monks with staves, and a small unit of crossbowmen.

Martin and his pair of champions moved to one side of the procession and held their position, as the Blades continued and centered themselves several paces behind the front lines. The monks and trumpeters arrayed themselves aft of the Blades. The crossbow unit proceeded into the main gatehouse and up to its roof where they were briefed by Parwen before taking firing positions there.

For a time, the only sounds were birds chirping and the occasional snort of an impatient warhorse. Martin, Mazoga and Agronak then rode along the front of the shield wall until the army was centered behind them.

“I am here, Dagon!” announced Martin. The soft-spoken Priest of Akatosh that Savlian and I had rescued from the chapel in Kvatch now spoke with a commanding voice that pierced the crisp morning air. “The blood of a Dragon flows within me and I have been called upon by Akatosh to banish you from this realm. Unleash your minions as you will, for we will destroy them. Bruma shall not be yours this day!”

Though his words sounded terrifyingly reckless, I knew Martin’s intent was to goad Mehrunes Dagon into opening a Great Oblvion Gate. It occurred to me that Martin was on a Divine quest and calling upon the strength of Akatosh. If I was ever to become a paladin, I would likely find myself in similar situations. “Divines,” I whispered, “Azura has given me over to you and I trust you to gird my heart and guide my hands.”

The sky then rapidly darkened as a deep angry voice from another world boomed its angry response to Martin’s challenge, “Insolent worms! When your world and the Deadlands become one, the skins of those you love will fly as my banners!”

I swallowed hard and unshouldered my bow. Martin had certainly gotten the attention of the Daedric Lord of Destruction!

A rumble of thunder was quickly followed by several more as crimson bolts of lightning tore ragged streaks across the dark sky and an Oblivion Gate opened.

My first arrow joined more than a score of others as scamps began to pour from the fiery portal. Our foes from this first wave were quickly reduced to corpses. I noted that Sirs Mazoga and Agronak rode to one flank and joined the waiting White Stallion knights. Martin repositioned to join his Blades behind the front lines.

As a second gate opened, we loosed arrows again. As with the first gate none of this one’s first wave made it to our shield wall. The first gate then belched out another wave of Daedra, including some clannfear – which required more arrows to kill. Simultaneously, a third gate opened, releasing its own batch of foes.

The three gates began to spill overlapping waves faster than our full wall of archers could kill them. Fireballs, streaks of arcane lightning, spikes of ice and crossbow bolts now poured from the towers and gatehouse roof to augment our arrows. Due to sheer numbers, some of the wounded Daedra were beginning to make it through our gauntlet and approach the wall of shields. “Maintain fire discipline!” yelled Parwen. “Keep your targeting in the killing zone and let the shield wall deal with leakers.”

As we exacted a high toll on the Daedra, I was gratified to realize that my self-replenishing quiver could keep up with the rapid, sustained rate of fire required. Those who managed to make it past our targeting area in front of the gates and to the front lines were held by the shield wall as short swords jabbed and spears reached over the front rank to thrust into the Daedra. Atronachs and enemy spellcasters remained in our killing zone to use their ranged attacks and, therefore, died quickly.

Occasionally, a Daedra who made it through our withering fire would try to outflank the shield wall. Those who circled wide were intercepted by mounted knights; those who remained close to the front lines while attempting to flank were met by the augmented castle garrison force reinforcing each end of the shield wall.

Suddenly, in the center of the area already hosting three Oblivion Gates, a massive new portal appeared. The Great Gate looked to be twice the height and three times the width of the others. It immediately belched out a handful of Daedra.

I saw Martin raise one arm and yell out a command, though the din of the battlefield prevented me from understanding his words. A moment later, the trumpeters issued a single blast.

All knights out on both flanks, Sirs Mazoga and Agronak among them, instantly spurred their mounts directly toward the Great Gate.

“Cease fire!” roared Parwen.

The knights quickly filled our killing zone in front of the portals with steel and Daedric blood as Mazoga and Agronak did flying dismounts into the open maw of the Great Gate. One knight grabbed the reins of both abandoned warhorses. Then, just as quickly as they had charged the gates, all knights retreated to their original positions out on the forward flanks.

“Fire at will!” commanded Parwen. As the next wave of Daedra appeared, we did so.

I knew the two orcs had but a limited time to retrieve the great sigil stone for Martin and close that gate before a daedric siege crawler would emerge. Savlian had described the one that attacked Kvatch and I knew that even Martin’s army couldn’t save Bruma from such a terrifying weapon.

With four gates now open those of us on the castle's front wall literally had our hands full of bow and arrows trying to kill what seemed an endless flow of Daedra pouring into our killing zone. I paused just long enough to cast a pair of spells - one to heal the torn calluses on my now bleeding bowstring fingers; the other to aid my flagging stamina and aching arms and shoulders.

More Daedra were making it through our gauntlet and I could see the front line’s shield wall beginning to waver under the relentless pressure. The brown-robed monks were casting restorative spells into the ranks and the number of wounded on stretchers being carried into the city was increasing. Blades were eschewing their katanas in favor of the spears or short swords and shields of fallen Legion soldiers as they filled in potential gaps in the forward ranks. The grim situation and my exhaustion provided fertile soil for the poisonous vines of doubt and fear that insidiously tugged at my resolve.

I heard Martin yell something as he gestured to the trumpeters. Three quick blasts followed, spurring the Knights of the White Stallion back into action. They charged along the front lines, putting numerous Daedra to the sword while trampling others under the massive hooves of their warhorses. Martin’s decision to commit his mounted reserve had the desired effect. With the knights fully engaged, I could see and almost feel the exhausted line of shields rally.

I knew, however, that none of us could maintain such a pace for much longer against a foe who could field endless waves of tireless Daedra. Two of the knights had already been surrounded and mortally struck down, while three more battled valiantly on foot after having been dislodged from their mounts. The front line was beginning to visibly falter again.

This battle would end soon. Either the gates would close and we would win. . . or a siege crawler would emerge and we would likely perish trying to defend Bruma. The outcome hinged entirely now on the actions of two mighty orcs inside that Great Gate. I had fought alongside both of them and knew that our lives could not be in better hands.

My heart sank though as the Great Gate brightened and the whirling teeth of a daedric siege engine slowly began to emerge. The arrows, bolts, fire, ice and lightening we poured into it did little to deter the machine’s slow but steady progress.

Suddenly, I heard a deep rumble and the ground began to shake. I was unsure what that heralded until the Great Gate itself disintegrated in a shower of embers and the three smaller gates collapsed. The siege crawler was now a harmless hulk with one of its front corners collapsed upon the ground. My heart remained in my throat until the dust cleared enough for me to see both orcs huddled together on the ground. Sir Mazoga still had both arms tightly wrapped around the waist of her mate who clutched their prize – a great sigil stone.

After a few long seconds, I saw them both stir then gradually get to their feet. A cheer rose from Martin’s army. The exhausted line of infantry parted as Martin, along with a handful of his Blades and monks, rushed straight to the orcs. My instinctive urge to join them was cut short as I noted numerous wounded being carried into the city and recalled my orders. Rapid feet carried me to the gatehouse, down into the city, up the steps of the chapel and inside.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:20 PM