Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Dark Ship
Franavu
post Nov 18 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Retainer

This is a story I've been writing for a while now, sort of an ongoing project. I think it is ready to be posted, or at least the first part of it.
The story is elder scrolls related, it'll just take a while to get there.

As English isn't my first language I hope you'll forgive me any spelling or grammatical mistakes I might have missed.

Okay, here goes the first bit, I hope you'll like it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The dark ship

The dark ship shot through the great void of space, on its way to a planet of legends…

Meanwhile,
Captain’s log, supplemental
We still haven’t found the smugglers’ ship we were send here to find, we lost its warp trail two days ago, we haven’t recovered it yet, and I don’t think we will. How we lost the ship is still a mystery to my crew and me, one minute it was there, the other it was gone and nowhere to be found.
I wonder what they were shipping, one more thing we have never been told, I don’t like this, I don’t like this one bit... [Pause]…What’s worse, my first officer, who is from this region of space, looks like he hasn’t slept the past few days. When I mentioned it to him, he murmured something about bad dreams. He clearly doesn’t want to talk about it and I haven’t pressed him…not yet at least.
This region has some pre-industrial civilizations, none the smugglers could have wanted to go to…I hope. We really don’t need Prime Directive issues; of course it has to be taken into account, at least until we know why they went this way.
[End of log entry]

The dark ship stopped, they had lost their pursuers, for now. His red eyes shone with hope.

Still no smugglers, I have ordered to search all the inhabited planets for the ship…I don’t really expect anything from it, but I just had orders from command to keep looking…No reason given. This is madness, the bloody ship can be anywhere by now, I hope they have a damn good reason for all of this… [Pause]
I spoke with my first officer this morning, he looked worse again…I couldn’t keep ignoring it. First he evaded my questions, but I kept pressing. So at last he told me about his dreams, about a woman speaking to him at night, about glowing red eyes in the dark and strangely enough about large sugar crystals. I have advised him to talk to the ships counsellor about this; I hope he will follow my advice.
He also spoke about the stories of his people. Their legends tell about an exile from their birth planet by red eyed warriors and about lesser, greater and false gods. The stories say this exile happened because they had become so arrogant they thought they wouldn’t need the gods anymore. Sounds like a standard tale of hubris to me, earth must have dozens of them.
[End of log entry]

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
minque
post Nov 18 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #2

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahhh.....a new approach...I sense here, interesting really.....and promising! I ask you to please continue!

As for the language ...I won´t say anything about it, since english is not my first language either....but it looks good to me for all what it´s worth!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Nov 19 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Knower
Group Icon

An interesting start. Your approach is somewhat unusual, by which I mean to say new and exciting. As for the quality of your English, I would say it is top notch. I've read a lot of stories on this and other sites, and your skills with language are better than many and as good as the best I've seen. I will look forward to seeing where you go with this intriguing story.
+Quote Post
Franavu
post Nov 25 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Retainer

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll try to update every week; so here's the next part.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A small craft loosened itself from the dark ship; it set a course for the world below.

We have spent the last two days looking for the smugglers, and now it seems that we have a lead. A small craft of pilgrims seems to have detected a ship heading away from them at high speed three days ago. It is the best we got so I ordered to follow the course the pilgrims gave us. There is just one problem; it looks like the ship is heading out of Federation space…I already sent a message to command, but I haven’t received an answer. [Pause]
To tell the truth…I hope they tell us not to pursue, I have a bad feeling about this…something is very wrong here. I also haven’t been told what the ship was smuggling and where it came from…I don’t like not to be told things and I have a feeling I need to have this information.
On the matter of my first officer: He still doesn’t look too well, these nightmares, you’d almost say they are a bad omen…I wonder… [Pause]
Anyway, he has spoken to the ship’s counsellor, and it does seem to help…a little. Maybe I should talk to him about the lore of his people concerning bad dreams…I wouldn’t like to interfere, but his wellbeing, and the influence it has on the performance of his duties does concern me…I’ll think about it…
[End of log entry]

The craft landed. Dust blew up in the air. He went out and looked around, had he found it?

We’ve had an answer from Starfleet command: Follow and intercept at all cost. At all cost…What the hell is going on? This keeps getting worse and worse…At all cost, I can’t believe it…What are they thinking? Outside Federation space. Are we supposed to start a war or something? And they didn’t even give us a reason. Just that one sentence…Follow and intercept at all cost. I have seriously considered not to obey that order…but there is little choice…My ship is in pursuit, and we just left Federation space…It feels like there is no way back…everyone seems to be uncomfortable with this. My bad feeling keeps growing…At all cost, with no reason…[Pause]
As I mentioned before, my first officer is from this part of space. I asked him about it. It seems that his people rule a large part of it…nevertheless; my first officer was born on a planet in Federation space. He told me that several colonies, far from the home world, became independent and joined the Federation. The central government didn’t seem to like this much, but there was little they could do. My first officer told me they call themselves the Due Mari…I wonder if they know it means two seas in an old earth language?
Anyway, apparently these people are technologically advanced…more so on the home world than on the colonies…I just hope we don’t have to get too far into their territories…It seems that they are more than a match for us.
[End of log entry]

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Nov 26 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #5

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks for a couple more intriguing log entries. You've described the captain's misgivings very well; I can almost feel his uncertainty.
+Quote Post
Franavu
post Dec 3 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #6

Retainer

My apologies for the double post. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

This post has been edited by Franavu: Dec 17 2005, 06:08 PM
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Dec 7 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

This latest update seems to be the same as the previous update unsure.gif

Your story approach is very unique and quite intriguing; I do hope you'll continue to update it for us. goodjob.gif
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Dec 8 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Hmm i just read it all and I have to say it is very interesting. Please continue with it.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Dec 8 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Quite an interesting way to begin a story, the beginning of every story is what really defines it and seperates it from every other story, in this case I think you've accomplished it quite well. And as for your english skills, they seem great. I'll be keeping up with this one.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Franavu
post Dec 17 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #10

Retainer

He saw the ruin he had been looking for. Would he find it at last, after so many years? He drew his weapon and started walking.

We have found the ship; it is in orbit around an uninhabited M-class planet. It seems that people lived here once though. Scans show there are fairly well-preserved ruins on the surface. The ship itself is empty…and well shielded. So far, we have found no way to get in.
Whoever was on it must be on the planet. I’ve ordered full scans of it… I want to know what we’re dealing with before I send people down there. I have…[Pause]
I have asked my first officer if he knows anything about it…He claims not to, but he gave me such an odd look when I asked…I don’t know, I really don’t…
I have assembled an away team, we’ll leave as soon as our scans of the planet are complete, I’ll lead it personally…Number One can keep the smuggler ship here if its owner or owners return.
I feel I have to go down myself, I know it’s against procedure, but delegating this responsibility seems just…wrong.
We’ll have to take a shuttle to the surface, there’s too much atmospheric interference for the transporter…This doesn’t bode well... I just hope we’ll get back to the ship in one piece…Everything inside me says to go away and never to return again, that is not an option of course, but still…
Anyway, the scan of the planet should be about ready by now.
[End of log entry]

He had found it! The devices were just right. After looking for so many years, he had found it at last. A way home perhaps, or at least an answer to the questions that had been haunting him for so long. But what was that? A bleep from his scanner. Others were landing on this planet; his pursuers must have found him. He pulled out his sword and heard the familiar hum of its magic. They wouldn’t be expecting this, that much was sure, and he readied a spell in his mind. As strong as the magic of his sword was, as weak was his own, but at least he could still do it. He looked at his scanner; something was to be said for technology. The others were leaving the craft. If they got him, all would be lost. They were almost upon him; he could hear their leader giving orders. The words of the spell rose to his mouth, as they rounded the bend he would release it. But then, a sound behind him, the hissing of steam and the screeching of metal on metal. He whirled around and released the spell, too early; it missed and hit a boulder. Behind him he heard shouts of warning, but he wasn’t paying attention to them. He had his eyes fixed straight ahead, on the ruins’ guardians.
They were remarkable craftsmen indeed…

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Dec 17 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

the hissing of steam and the screeching of metal on metal

I wonder what that could be blink.gif If it is what I think it is, they better start running. Now.

Another great installment. And more great clues linking the past and present. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything connects.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Dec 20 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Very exciting weaving together of ST and Elder Scrolls. Please continue with this fascinating story.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Franavu
post Jan 3 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #13

Retainer

A bit of a short update this time, but with exams before and after the holidays I haven't had much time. Anyway...enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------

Transcript of tricorder recording, audio only; Stardate: unknown; Location: unidentified planet outside federation space.
“Captain, I’m reading one humanoid signal, about half a kilometre to the north”
“Can you get a reading of the species?”
“No sir, it’s an unknown species, the signal seems to be stationary.”
“How far is it now?”
“Two hundred meters.”
“All right, split up in half a circle, Jones, Trevok on the left; Inael, Gorov take the right, I’ll take the centre”
“Yes, sir”
“Aye, sir”
“’s sir”
“Aye, aye”
“Be careful, we don’t know what weapons he has.”
“Hundred meters and closing.”
“Try to surround him.”
[Sound of an explosion]
“Take cover! Report! What the hell was that?”
“It seems to be some sort of…fireball, sir, I think.”
“Sir, he standing behind that boulder.”
“I can see that ensign, thank you.”
“What are those things behind him?”
“Lieutenant what…watch out, on you right!”
“Aaargh…”
[Phasers firing]
“Captain…”
“Behind you!”
“Where are they coming from?”
“Put your phasers on a higher setting!”
“There are too many!”
“Watch it!”
“Gods, they’re everywhere”
“Oh sh…Captain, behind you.”
“They’re on top of us.”
“Help, hel…aargh…”
“Man down, man down…”
End of recording
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Jan 3 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

And thus, the suspense continues. You continue to provide us with just enough information to make us want more. I can only imagine the surprise of a Starfleet captain being targeted by a fireball. I'm sure mankind thought it had evolved past silly archaic notions of magic. Thanks for another great installment.
+Quote Post
Franavu
post Mar 11 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #15

Retainer

No updates in a while, university has been keeping me busy. Real life has this habit of kicking you in the teeth, but I haven't given up on my story yet, so here's the next update, hope you like it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were all over the place. Dozens of them. Behind him he heard them attacking his pursuers. He shot of a shock bolt to his left, while he put up his sword to ward of one of the creatures heavy blow.
If he only had his magic at full power. No time for that now, another shock bolt, and a blow with his sword. Two down, too many to go. One spider from below, one good kick and the sound of breaking metal. A sphere came rolling towards him, another shock bolt but that didn’t seem to slow it down. He spun around trying to keep them off him. He focused on his sword, a sphere of fire extended from it. Two red hot centurions melted at his feet. It gave him some time; he shot a look at the ones who had been following him. They were surrounded and shooting their weapons. They had been his enemies before, now he could only hope that they could hold them off.
A flash of steel to his right interrupted his thoughts. As he jumped out of the way a curse escaped from his lips. He couldn’t afford to be distracted. His sword danced in a complex pattern and took the head of the nearest steam centurion. At least they were not that smart.
Another shock bolt took care of the three spiders scuttling towards him. But it left him exposed to the blow of a sphere that rocked him on his feet. He focused on his sword again. This time the sphere of fire was stronger, hotter. At least it gave him some time to breathe. His side, where the sphere had hit him hurt like hell.
He stepped back a little, and cast a healing spell. It took the edge of the pain away, but no more than that. And now his reservoir of magic was running dangerously low. He wouldn’t be able to use his sword’s enchantment many more times either. Two steam centurions were closing in again. He dodged a blow from the first and hacked an arm of the other. Not that it stopped him. Another kick took care of a smaller spider.
The one armed centurion was getting close again. A slash of his sword, now it went straight into the vital mechanisms. That was the end of that one. The other centurion came into his vision again. One slash and a now headless machine tumbled over. He heard the whining sounds of the alien’s weapons; one was now on the ground. But there were also notably less animunculi around. There were heaps of dead iron everywhere.
But then, a sound from behind, a hard blow sent him flying. He managed to twist in the air and land on his shoulder. Something cracked, his left arm hung useless as he stumbled to his feet and brought his sword up. Just in time to hit in the crack under the head of his attacker. It stopped the centurion dead in his tracks. But with only one hand he couldn’t get the sword back out again.
Hurt and unarmed he readied the last of his magic to cast a spell that would give him time to get to safety. But it didn’t stop the sphere centurion behind him. He didn’t dodge fast enough. One hard blow to his head and then, darkness…
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Mar 11 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

I like it...a lot, keep it up please.... wub.gif goodjob.gif goodjob.gif happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Mar 12 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

And now for the ultimate showdown, the Feddies against the Dwemer Centurions. I love this, please continue.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Mar 13 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

wow.. can't beleive I missed all this... I've been falling behind, great additions please continue!

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Franavu
post Mar 19 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #19

Retainer

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'll continue with this story, I know exactly where I want to take it, I'm just not so sure how to get there smile.gif Anyway, Here's the next update, a bit longer this time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My bad feelings came true; the away mission was a disaster, even though we achieved our primary goal. We managed to get the smuggler. But at high cost…Ensign Jones is dead…He was a good man, he worked in security…
He was killed by creatures that lived on the planet; they didn’t show up on our scans. They seemed to be fabricated…I think.
Ensign Trevok was badly injured, but the doctor says he’ll be fine, that sturdy Vulcan constitution of his saved him.
As for the smuggler…He was out cold when we got to him, but still alive. He is definitely humanoid, but not of any species I can recognize. Nevertheless the doctor hasn’t had much trouble treating him. I’ll include her report in the log.
He was certainly well armed and was able to take out quite a lot of those creatures…or machines, whatever they are. He used a sword that was an energy weapon at the same time, quite a powerful piece of technology too. I’ve told the engineering department to take a look at it, it may be useful. He also must have some sort of implant in his hands that can shoot energy balls…At least there was no outside sign of a weapon on or in his hands... The doctor said she’d look for it, though nothing showed up on her initial scans. But there must be something there…It’s not like it could have been done by magic or something…right?...No, of course not, there is no such thing as magic, only sufficiently advanced technology…Yes, well, anyway…[Pause]
All right, I’ve also sent an engineering and science team to the surface to take a look at these creatures; they are heavily backed up by security of course. I’ll interview the smuggler myself when he comes to. We still need to get into his ship.
[End of log entry]

Report of chief medical officer, concerning the alien humanoid.
Computer, are you recording? Yes? All right…The alien is definitely humanoid, apparently male. He is 1 metre, 89 centimetres tall. Weight is 80 kilograms. He has a dark grey-black skincolor and bright red eyes. Other characteristics: long pointed ears, and what seem to be tattoos on his chest and hands. Standard layout of organs, or so it seems. Two lungs, heart in the right place…physiologically at least, right where you’d expect it for humans. Digestive tract seems to be that of an omnivore. Liver…also roughly where you’d expect it in a human…yes, just like every other major organ.
Iron based blood even…but his genetic makeup is definitely non-human.
The captain spoke of implants in his hands…no, there seem to be none of those present. Actually there seems to be nothing that could have caused the effects that the captain described to me.
A brain scan…now that’s odd, part of his brain seems to be much more developed, than you’d expect…computer, attach the technical details of the scans I made to my report.
The alien seems to have suffered from a blow to the head, by a blunt instrument most likely. There is a partially healed cut on his left side. Also…a broken collarbone, and an assortment of cuts and bruises.
These injuries are all treatable and will cause no permanent damage.
Ah, he seems to be waking up…Sickbay to bridge…

Recording of chief engineer’s investigation re alien’s sword. Also present chief science officer, ship’s anthropologist.
CEO: All right, what are we looking at? A sword, heavy, about fifteen kilograms. A blade, total length fifty-two point three centimetres.
A: It seems to be a double-handed long sword, as is used by many species in the galaxy during earlier years of development.
CEO: Earlier years of development is all fine, but the captain told me what it did, so it’s got to be a pretty sophisticated piece of machinery…
And my tricorder doesn’t seem able to determine what it’s made of.
A: Don’t tell me the things are malfunctioning again.
CEO: What do you mean malfunctioning?
A: Well, you know after all that business at Meripala IV.
CEO: I told you that weren’t the tricorders. It was interference from their ore refining factories, and anyway this one isn’t malfunctioning, I checked it thoroughly.
A: Well…if you say so…
CSO: People, can we get back at the business at hand?
CEO: Yes, sir. So we know that it looks like a sword but we don’t know what it’s made of. It has to be technologically advanced, judging by what it can do. But I don’t see a way to get inside.
A: Looks like a sword, is used like a sword…maybe it’s just that.
CSO: Are you questioning what the captain saw, lieutenant?
A: Uh…no, sir…but maybe he made a mistake in the heat of battle, sir…That it was just a phaser blast deflecting from something.
CSO: So…you are questioning what the captain saw…You do know lieutenant, that phaser blasts don’t just deflect of something?
A: But maybe there was a deflector shield around something, come on…a sword that expels fireballs…give me a break…
Uh…but, er…that doesn’t mean that it can’t happen, sir…Uh, we have seen stranger things than that…sir.
CSO: Right you are lieutenant…Now, we have equipment to do a complete molecular scan. That should tell us what the sword is made of, and how to get a look at the machinery that drives it.
CEO: Um…Well, sir, if you say that we have the equipment…Well do you remember that ion storm we past through eight days ago? Now…It scrambled some of the diagnostic routines in our internal scanners…and, well…
CSO: Are you telling me that those scanners don’t work, lieutenant?
CEO: Yes, sir. That’s about it, we just discovered it just yesterday sir…But don’t you worry, sir, we’ll have it fixed in no time.
CSO: I’m counting on it, lieutenant, you can be sure of that
[Chief science officer leaves room]
A: Well, they’re not the tricorders, I’ll grant you that…
CEO: You, shut up…computer, end recording.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Mar 19 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

They sure are confused. I like your story, please continue.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:02 PM