202 Pages V « < 186 187 188 189 190 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #3741

Ancient
Group Icon

It was the source material that dictated that the arms and armor were realistic in GoT. If you read the books, it was clear that GRRM was wanting to build a medieval fantasy world that was more realism heavy with some supernatural and fantasy elements sprinkled in for flavor. A shame he has seemingly abandoned ASoI&F. The show’s ending was [censored] and didn’t fit the build up the books were leading to. The thought that it is probably the only ending we are going to get for this series is almost heartbreaking.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 10 2019, 04:20 PM
Post #3742

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm sure some of it is prop department economics. If the arms and armour are realistic, they can be re-used for non-fantasy films and shows. But there's also a benefit from separating the magical aspects, as it makes them more conspicuous as additional features rather than built-in.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2019, 11:44 PM
Post #3743

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished season two of Black Lightning. It was good, another solid season of a good show. Bill Duke joins the cast this season. He is like a thousand years old by now, and a shriveled old man. A far cry from his old bodybuilder self from the days of Predator. But his acting, well that is much better. He is really good in this. He gives off a seriously creepy, ominous spy guy vibe.

James Remar has been really cool too. He is older now too. But again, like Bill Duke, he has really bloomed as an actor. He is way better than he was back when he was a young stud. He has been really cool throughout seasons 1 and 2.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 12 2019, 02:18 AM
Post #3744

Ancient
Group Icon

I started watching the Battlestar Galactica 2003 mini series. It is really powerful, end of the world stuff. It is really amazing seeing all the actors looking so young again, especially Katee Sackhoff. I am so used to having seen her more recently in Longmire and some Netflix movies she did recently. She practically looks like a child in this!

Sadly the special effects were all cgi, and are now quite dated.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 13 2019, 06:29 AM
Post #3745

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2019, 10:06 AM) *

It was the source material that dictated that the arms and armor were realistic in GoT. If you read the books, it was clear that GRRM was wanting to build a medieval fantasy world that was more realism heavy with some supernatural and fantasy elements sprinkled in for flavor. A shame he has seemingly abandoned ASoI&F. The show’s ending was [censored] and didn’t fit the build up the books were leading to. The thought that it is probably the only ending we are going to get for this series is almost heartbreaking.

As Treydoggie would say: QFT

I agree 100% with everything you said here; especially the last sentence.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Sep 16 2019, 03:44 AM
Post #3746

Knower
Group Icon

I saw It Chapter 2 on Thursday. Its possibly the funniest movie I've seen in ages. Luckily the funny parts are written to be that way intentionally. It had it's scary parts too, as well as some very sad parts.

I loved it. I'm gonna buy it the moment it comes out on DVD.

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 22 2019, 01:40 AM
Post #3747

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching Dark Phoenix. It was pretty meh. Not terrible. Not great. It was really just kind of bland. The story was based on the old Dark Phoenix storyline from the comics of course, but massaged quite a bit to fit into the X-Film universe. There was nothing remarkable about it. I kind of saw this coming when I saw they had Sophie Turner playing Jean Grey a few movies back. She is just not a very good actress. She is not a bad one either. Like the movie, she is just... adequate.

Sadly, I think the most notable thing about it was that it was the only time I have ever seen a male character with prehensile hair. And well done too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 22 2019, 09:37 PM
Post #3748

Ancient
Group Icon

Die Hard!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 23 2019, 07:20 PM
Post #3749

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 22 2019, 04:37 PM) *

But it isn't Christmas yet!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 23 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #3750

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 23 2019, 01:20 PM) *

That’s ok, DieHard is enjoyable anytime of the year!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 23 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #3751

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 23 2019, 02:20 PM) *

I don't think the people who run that station know that; they have been running Christmas movies all summer long too, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 23 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #3752

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 23 2019, 03:17 PM) *

I don't think the people who run that station know that; they have been running Christmas movies all summer long too, lol.

But... but... DieHard is a Christmas movie! tongue.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 23 2019, 10:40 PM
Post #3753

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 23 2019, 05:17 PM) *

Die Hard defines Christmas.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 24 2019, 04:55 AM
Post #3754

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 23 2019, 05:40 PM) *

Right? He is even carrying a load of Christmas presents in that limo and the building lobby had a Christmas tree!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 24 2019, 06:23 AM
Post #3755

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 23 2019, 10:55 PM) *

Right? He is even carrying a load of Christmas presents in that limo and the building lobby had a Christmas tree!

I even got a dvd set of the first 3 DieHard films (the others hadn’t come out yet, never watched those though.) for Christmas one year. True story.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 24 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #3756

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 24 2019, 01:23 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 23 2019, 10:55 PM) *

I even got a dvd set of the first 3 DieHard films (the others hadn’t come out yet, never watched those though.) for Christmas one year. True story.

I asked for the full set one year for Christmas, but never got it, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Sep 24 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #3757

Master
Group Icon

NASA's Black Hole Safety Video.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 28 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #3758

Master
Group Icon

The Kareer of King Kong from Dark Corners Reviews. I'm pretty sure I've seen all these but the Jackson remake, with a bit of uncertainty about Skull Island. The commentators opinions seem pretty spot-on to me. Certainly the original is a timeless masterpiece. Which reminds me it's due a re-watch. I'll need to view it via living room audio/video setup as I've no way to play laserdiscs via computer.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 8 2019, 12:29 AM
Post #3759

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching the first episode of Batwoman. It was good. Very cool, and a lot of fun. Ruby Rose is perfect as Kate Kane, even without the red hair and bone white china skin that the comic character has (even out of costume). The show definitely has ovaries too, because in less than five minutes we are seeing the protagonist kissing another woman. The kind of thing so many other shows will never, ever do, even with minor characters.

They worked the story of how you have Batwoman but no Batman in a simple but elegant way. Batman disappeared 3 years earlier. Why? No one knows. They also changed Kate's backstory a little. In this version she, her sister, and mother were driven off the road by the Joker, who was in a hijacked schoolbus, being chased by Batman. Batman paused to shoot some grappling lines to hold up the car so it did not fall off the bridge it was precariously teetering off of. Then he went on to stop the Joker and save a ton of kids in the bus. But back at the car the steel of the trunk gave way, and the car went off the edge, with only Kate getting out in time.

OTOH, the show does keep that she was thrown out of a military academy that clearly West Point in disguise due to being a lesbian. It also keeps her backstory of being sent by her father for training afterward. Which is where things start. In this one however, her dad runs a security/mercenary company called The Crows (love the name), which is really big in Gotham City. After Batman disappeared, The Crows stepped up to try to hold things together.

This first episode seems a little rushed. But I am not complaining. There is always something happening. There is tons of conflict, especially in Kate, which of course defines character and drives plot. So thumbs up. She pretty quickly gets into Wayne Tower, which is now abandoned, and finds the Batcave. It does come off feeling natural however, thanks to the character's childhood history of being cousins with Bruce Wayne. She practically grew up in Wayne Tower. So she knew every nook and cranny, and everything out of place.

There are some nice, subtle homages to Batman too. First is the switch to open the way into the Batcave, the pearl necklace Bruce's mother was wearing when she was murdered. There is a movie in the park event in the city, which is showing Zorro. Things a die hard Bat fan will recognize. But nothing screaming in your face either.

All in all fun. I look forward to more!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 8 2019, 02:48 AM
Post #3760

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 7 2019, 06:29 PM) *

I just finished watching the first episode of Batwoman. It was good. Very cool, and a lot of fun. Ruby Rose is perfect as Kate Kane, even without the red hair and bone white china skin that the comic character has (even out of costume). The show definitely has ovaries too, because in less than five minutes we are seeing the protagonist kissing another woman. The kind of thing so many other shows will never, ever do, even with minor characters.

They worked the story of how you have Batwoman but no Batman in a simple but elegant way. Batman disappeared 3 years earlier. Why? No one knows. They also changed Kate's backstory a little. In this version she, her sister, and mother were driven off the road by the Joker, who was in a hijacked schoolbus, being chased by Batman. Batman paused to shoot some grappling lines to hold up the car so it did not fall off the bridge it was precariously teetering off of. Then he went on to stop the Joker and save a ton of kids in the bus. But back at the car the steel of the trunk gave way, and the car went off the edge, with only Kate getting out in time.

OTOH, the show does keep that she was thrown out of a military academy that clearly West Point in disguise due to being a lesbian. It also keeps her backstory of being sent by her father for training afterward. Which is where things start. In this one however, her dad runs a security/mercenary company called The Crows (love the name), which is really big in Gotham City. After Batman disappeared, The Crows stepped up to try to hold things together.

This first episode seems a little rushed. But I am not complaining. There is always something happening. There is tons of conflict, especially in Kate, which of course defines character and drives plot. So thumbs up. She pretty quickly gets into Wayne Tower, which is now abandoned, and finds the Batcave. It does come off feeling natural however, thanks to the character's childhood history of being cousins with Bruce Wayne. She practically grew up in Wayne Tower. So she knew every nook and cranny, and everything out of place.

There are some nice, subtle homages to Batman too. First is the switch to open the way into the Batcave, the pearl necklace Bruce's mother was wearing when she was murdered. There is a move in the park event in the city, which is showing Zorro. Things a die hard Bat fan will recognize. But nothing screaming in your face either.

All in all fun. I look forward to more!

CW is pretty much a leader in telling stories that a lot of other networks wouldn’t tell due to politics and such. One such show is The 100. I don’t know if you’ve seen this show, but it’s a totally ridiculous sci-fi post apocalyptic series and I kinda love it. The main female protagonist of the show is a lesbian.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 186 187 188 189 190 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:46 PM