Post #2761

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 30 2017, 01:43 AM) *

Don't forget snake bites!

That's some basketball court laugh.gif.

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Jul 30 2017, 07:57 PM) *

I'd play Oregon Trail Basketball.

Your star player dunks the ball in the net and breaks his ankle on the landing.
Star Player has contracted Gangrene.
Star Player has died.

--------------------
Live and let live.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Jul 31 2017, 03:40 AM
Post #2762

Mouth
Group Icon

You joke, but while they're unable to die, your party members in Pyre are entirely susceptible to the environment, illness, and any other events that can impact their performance in the Rites (Magical Basketball/Rugby) or even straight up keep them from participating.

I wish I took a screenshot, but one of my favorite lines in the game while exploring the gloomy bog (turns out it's magically inducing depression) is a message you get informing you that the region is negatively affecting your group and they all suffer a penalty to their Hope stat (which speeds up their return while they're banished from an opposing team's attack or throwing themselves into the other team's fire to score a point).

The prompt to continue is something along the lines of [Suffer Alongside your Companions]

You can also do it to the opposing team. Like hiring random people out in the wilderness or even having one of your own party members do something awful so your upcoming match is in your favor. "Don't worry, it won't be permanent."

Actually, one of my worst moments in the game (keeping it spoiler free) was when I was supposed to face a team that a certain character could absolutely not risk being recognized by for plot reasons. He urged me to keep him from the game in order to minimize the risk.

Well, as it turns out, the previous group of players got infected by Banishment Sickness, cutting my team at that point in half. Meaning he HAD to participate since there was no other option.

Luckily, nothing bad happened, but still. I wonder if the story does change if you push it, though.

Another of my favorite moments is being able to permanently decrease a certain team's Hope by making them lose faith in their god while in the goddang match itself. They worship an eldritch abomination from another dimension but still, it's horribly amazing. The party member that does it claims it's both because the other team is really good and we needed the edge and because she hates the leader enough to destroy her worldview.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Jul 31 2017, 03:45 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 31 2017, 08:34 AM
Post #2763

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Jul 30 2017, 08:44 PM) *

I liked the original release of Doom 3 on the Xbox, it felt more like survival horror FPS then the BFG edition. In Doom 3 ammo was scarce and it really set that eerie atmosphere well where as the BFG edition ammo was plentiful I don't think I ever ran out of BFG or Plasma rifle rounds. As for Doom on the PS4 I'm really enjoying it and I bet on higher difficulty it could get hectic. Still I think Doom on the PS4 is the unsung sequel to Doom 64. I don't know why I'm thinking that but that's just what it feels like story wise.

Here's what I mean.
Doom 64 Ending

Doom PS4 Intro.

There's a part during the cutscene after the player gets his armor there's a flashback and I swear I see the mother demon from Doom 64 init, its brief but its way I think this game's Doom 64 sequel.

Then if that's the case, the marine failed to stop any demon from arising.

-Bad marine! *slaps hand*

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 31 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #2764

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 31 2017, 02:34 AM) *

-Bad marine! *slaps hand*

Marine: {Pulls out BFG 9000}.

Well he did get encased in rock and the UAC did "reopened" the portal to hell, so that probably didn't help biggrin.gif.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 31 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #2765

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I sort of kinda liked Doom 3 in a way possibly, but the weapons ruined it completely.

They sucked.

All of them.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 31 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #2766

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 31 2017, 08:34 AM) *

I sort of kinda liked Doom 3 in a way possibly, but the weapons ruined it completely.

They sucked.

All of them.

The Plasma Rifle was probably the only good weapon in that game, the BFG was difficult to use and the shotgun loaded REALLY slowly "You got a charging Imp coming at you! Load that shotgun faster man!!!" The Chainsaw wasn't to bad just don't hit a wall with that thing with earphones on...ouch.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 31 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #2767

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I love shotguns but the one in Doom 3 was the worst I've ever seen in any game. It was worthless beyond 3ft, severely lacking in power even at point blank range and as you mentioned, reloading the magazine was painfully slow. It was also ugly to look at. All this applies to the handgun too, btw. Hated that pistol.

But yeah, I'd agree the plasma rifle was decent. High rate of fire, reload time was ok, it was somewhat powerful and even nice to look at. Too bad they completely botched it with the other guns.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 31 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #2768

Master
Group Icon

I always enjoyed the Plasma Rifle in Doom 64, it looked cool and made a pleasant zapping sound although not the most powerful weapon in the game that honor belongs to the Super Shotgun (or fully upgraded Unmaker/Laser gun), that thing could sweep the floor with any of Hell's minions. Once I got that Double Barrel Shotgun I pretty much kept it through out the game and seldom used any other weapons unless I needed a heavy hitter like the BFG or Rocket Launcher.
My least favorite weapon in the entire Doom series is the Chaingun, I very seldom used it and mostly stuck with the shotgun or the super shotgun.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Jul 31 2017, 03:17 PM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 31 2017, 03:25 PM
Post #2769

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Oh, yeah. The chaingun. Sucked donkey in Doom 3 so much I cringe just thinking about it. Everything about it was so horribly wrong.

In the words of Mr. Scrooge= Bah! Humbug!

bigsmile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 31 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #2770

Master
Group Icon

One thing I never understood about watching people on YouTube play Doom, specially Doom 64 is they always bounce around with their weapons and never stick to one mainly the super shotgun. I've seen LP'ers pick up the super and still use the regular shotgun. You should NEVER have to go back to the regular shotgun once you get the double barrel one! Sure the super uses two shells to use but like I've said it can take on the best that Hell has to offer.

Now Doom on the PS4 is a different kind of beast when it comes to weapon usage. Your weapons (except the pistol) have VERY limited ammo and you do find yourself switching in and out of different weapons and that only because THIS Doom isn't like the others. Doom for the PS4 (or XB1) is meant for fast pace on the go action and slowing down for just a second could mean the difference between life or death, so in this case I can forgive the whole consent weapon switching.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 6 2017, 12:38 AM
Post #2771

Mouth
Group Icon

Finally went back and played some more of Clive Barker's Undying earlier. It surprised me that I first tried it out two months ago. Had no idea it was that long ago. So I'm a little over an hour into it now. Pretty interesting so far, although it's a bit too hard to aim the revolver at those Howlers at the beginning.

Played Divinity 2 last night and probably will play some tonight. The game is a great time, but I've come up to a couple hard choices at those totems on Sentinel Island. If anyone has played it they'll know what I'm talking about.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Aug 6 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #2772

Mouth
Group Icon

I played some Thief Gold fan missions, with my choices based on the rating scale given by the website they're hosted on. (Starting at 10)

I had more fun with one rated 8 than one rated 10, but then I realized, these mods (and the game) being nearly twenty years old, also tend to be scored based on buginess and construction.

Which begs the question, why is a poorly put together fan mission where you can get stuck in the environment easily and forced to reload, where everything is so badly put together that you can skip puzzles by snatching something up through cracks/jumping through a window, somehow rated higher than something that IS well-made (comparatively anyways) and has the same level of tension and an intriguing storyline. (Not to mention another one without any bugs whatsoever)

idk, but I recommend Mystery Man and BloodStone Prison. To a lesser extent, Lord Edmund Entertains and its sequel, Vigil

Dunno if I'll try out some more or move on to Thief 2 fan missions.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Aug 7 2017, 03:04 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Aug 8 2017, 02:58 AM
Post #2773

Master
Group Icon

Been playing a new game on PS4 called Dreadnought. Its free to play and so far I like it.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 9 2017, 03:34 AM
Post #2774

Mouth
Group Icon

Played through Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Very very good.

The storytelling, art direction, and sound design are all absolutely fantastic. The way the protagonist's psychosis manifests in the game world (and potentially AS the game world) is dark, brutal, and thrilling. The protag herself (Senua) doesn't speak much, instead her backstory is told to you through visions, which you step into so seamlessly that it really blurs the lines between 'reality' and Senua's mind.

Throughout much of the game you are also accompanied by the voices in the Senua's head, who chatter between themselves as you move through the hellishly beautiful landscapes, revealing Senua's thoughts on various subjects and situations (the game recommends that you play with headphones on, and I'd highly recommend that as the whispers right in your ear are utterly chilling at times). This, along with the fact that you meet no other human characters, really gives Senua's character a sense of isolation. I know that the devs worked closely with psychologists when making the game, and you can really feel that when you play.

The blending of norse and celtic mythology with mental illness sounds kind of bizarre at first, but it works so well. I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone looking for a story-driven experience.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 9 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #2775

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been waiting for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for months. I am downloading it now!

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Aug 11 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #2776

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Hellblade and I might go and play it myself soon.

Anyways, first off an off topic post: I wanna laugh about two tracks from FFXV because of how similar parts of it sound like Nerevar Rising. I've had them stuck in my head recently and for a while I wondered what TES game they came from. Then I remembered "oh right, it's Final Fantasy lol"

More on topic, I was playing The Dark Mod and tried out Sotha's "Thomas Porter Series." I loved them, though there's a little too much focus on combat for my tastes. Basically a fan-made Thief game for free.

That aside I'm getting into Skyrim again to try out some mods. I was recently seeing more of Bruma and I still love how well it did...most of everything really. Gonna try out one of the Nexus waifus next cause she seemed to have more substance to her, like Vilja. (Clara Goldsomethingorother). Gonna try the Legacy of the Dragonborn alongside that. I still have Aza-jo's original 360 save file so I won't have to worry about "leveling" either.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Aug 23 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #2777

Councilor
Group Icon

I've been having a bit of fun playing Mass Effect 2.

The plot sucks. It doesn't work on any level. And a lot of the plot-related dialogue is beyond cringeworthy. But the gameplay's pretty fun.

I'm taking a stab at playing an Engineer, and it's surprisingly easy thus far. Wrecking everything to the point I'm considering restarting on a higher difficulty setting, just to make things interesting.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 23 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #2778

Ancient
Group Icon

I could not get past the fact that Bioware expects you to join the same group of terrorists who murdered Admiral Kahoku in ME1. Not to mention tons of other Earth Marines.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Aug 23 2017, 11:29 PM
Post #2779

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 23 2017, 09:58 PM) *

I could not get past the fact that Bioware expects you to join the same group of terrorists who murdered Admiral Kahoku in ME1. Not to mention tons of other Earth Marines.

Not to mention almost killing Shepard if you picked the Sole Survivor element of backstory.

To be fair, there is just enough to the scenario to allow them to get away with it. They resurrect Shepard, effectively ask for his help to investigate a threat to human colonies, and make it clear that rather than working for them, they want to help you.

Unfortunately, they then undermine this at every opportunity by fanboying over Cerberus while sending Shepard off on a sideshow that completely redefines the Mass Effect universe, Shepard's place within it, and creating a million questions and inconsistencies. A trend they continued into the third game, which I never played(thankfully).

For some unfathomable reason Mass Effect 2 was put into the hands of someone who didn't like Mass Effect on any level, and wanted to change all of it to tell an entirely different story, and make it a different type of game. Something very similar happened with the Dragon Age franchise.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 24 2017, 01:48 AM
Post #2780

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Aug 23 2017, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 23 2017, 09:58 PM) *

Not to mention almost killing Shepard if you picked the Sole Survivor element of backstory.

To be fair, there is just enough to the scenario to allow them to get away with it. They resurrect Shepard, effectively ask for his help to investigate a threat to human colonies, and make it clear that rather than working for them, they want to help you.

Unfortunately, they then undermine this at every opportunity by fanboying over Cerberus while sending Shepard off on a sideshow that completely redefines the Mass Effect universe, Shepard's place within it, and creating a million questions and inconsistencies. A trend they continued into the third game, which I never played(thankfully).

For some unfathomable reason Mass Effect 2 was put into the hands of someone who didn't like Mass Effect on any level, and wanted to change all of it to tell an entirely different story, and make it a different type of game. Something very similar happened with the Dragon Age franchise.

Khajiit thinks it went wrong when EA bought Bioware. Pretty sure ME1 was done before the purchase and with ME2, EA wanted it to be more of an action game like Gears of War. Even if that comment is totally wrong, it would explain the difference in styles from ME1 and 2/3.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post

255 Pages V « < 137 138 139 140 141 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:51 AM