81 Pages V « < 73 74 75 76 77 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Are You Eating/Drinking?, The Tastiest Thread Around
Decrepit
post Aug 16 2022, 08:21 PM
Post #1481

Master
Group Icon

Only two of this week's Walmart's d'anjou pears felt soft/ripe enough to eat right away. To allow a little extra ripening time, I bought two almost-too-soft Bartletts, a pear I've not eaten (as raw fruit) in decades. They're what I've munched on these past several days. For my money, they aren't nearly as tasty as ripe d'anjous. Oh yeah, "Red Pears" were in stock. I don't believe I've seen those before. I bought one. It's too hard for a proper taste-test, and will likely remain so for days to come.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 10 2022, 02:32 PM
Post #1482

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Nothing yet, but I hope to gorge down a pizza later!

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 10 2022, 04:08 PM
Post #1483

Paladin
Group Icon

Yep. Like chocolate and coffee, pizza is one of the primary food groups. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2022, 06:19 PM
Post #1484

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 16 2022, 02:21 PM) *

Only two of this week's Walmart's d'anjou pears felt soft/ripe enough to eat right away. To allow a little extra ripening time, I bought two almost-too-soft Bartletts, a pear I've not eaten (as raw fruit) in decades. They're what I've munched on these past several days. For my money, they aren't nearly as tasty as ripe d'anjous. Oh yeah, "Red Pears" were in stock. I don't believe I've seen those before. I bought one. It's too hard for a proper taste-test, and will likely remain so for days to come.

Did you ever get to eat the red pear?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 10 2022, 07:19 PM
Post #1485

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2022, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 16 2022, 02:21 PM) *

Did you ever get to eat the red pear?

<nods> That I did. It's a good pear. Flavorful, sweet and juicy. I bought five this week, Walmart having only two green D'anjou in its bin. Maybe my luck's bad, but based on reds bought to date, they seem to behave the opposite of greens. Greens tend to take a LONG time to adequately ripen. Reds tend to ripen too fast. Of those reds bought this week, the last turned to mush by the time got around to eating it. It went in the trash rather than my mouth. Two others were overly soft, but edible. Conversely, both this week's greens, the first of which I ate half of at lunch, are still under-ripe/hard, with an unpleasant aftertaste.

I've thought of returning to Fuji apples, despite them tasting nowhere near as yummy as they once did. To the plus, they are a more nutritious fruit, good taste or not. To the minus, apple prices have soared lately, making them hard to justify on a $50US weekly food allowance.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 11 2022, 09:13 AM
Post #1486

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 10 2022, 05:08 PM) *

Yep. Like chocolate and coffee, pizza is one of the primary food groups. smile.gif

Add popcorn and sammiches and you have the full set! laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 13 2022, 08:19 PM
Post #1487

Master
Group Icon

This week, neither Walmart nor Kroger stocked green D'anjous. Reds, which have been quite affordable, shot up in price beyond what I'm willing to pay. Any apple that tickled my fancy was also on the expensive side. I settled for Bartlett pears, priced at $1.14US per pound.

Neither Walmart stocked WowButter. The good news; Kroger still has some. The bad news; it's a dollar more there. I both a jar anyway.

None of the three has Smucker's Sugar-Free Apricot Preserves. Thankfully, as much as I'll miss it, it's not an absolute must-have.

Kroger came to the rescue with Distilled Water in gallon containers, both Walmarts being out. Enough remains of my current gallon to make it through the week. But I like to stay an extra gallon ahead, since running short keeps me from using CPAP treatment. Who knows if any of the three will have any had I held off until next week?

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 13 2022, 08:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 16 2022, 02:59 PM
Post #1488

Mouth
Group Icon

Apfelstrudel hot out of the oven with ice cream cold out of the freezer. smile.gif I proclaim this dish to be medicinal because when used against headaches, it has about as much effect as penicillin (which is an undisputed medicine) but tastes far better. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 16 2022, 03:04 PM
Post #1489

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Frozen pizza!

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 16 2022, 05:06 PM
Post #1490

Mouth
Group Icon

We're getting weekly healthy recipes emailed at work. I would have preferred weekly tasty recipes instead. kvleft.gif

And also: of course that beefsteak is vegan! The cow was a vegetarian!! (Vegan beefsteaks are the latest invention in our supermarket.)

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 16 2022, 07:03 PM
Post #1491

Paladin
Group Icon

Green Pact hypocrisy:
"Can I eat grass?"
"No."
"Can I eat deer?"
"Of course."
"What do deer eat?"
"Er. . . grass."
tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 16 2022, 07:11 PM
Post #1492

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 16 2022, 01:03 PM) *

Green Pact hypocrisy:
"Can I eat grass?"
"No."
"Can I eat deer?"
"Of course."
"What do deer eat?"
"Er. . . grass."
tongue.gif

rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 29 2022, 05:27 PM
Post #1493

Master
Group Icon

Pears having disappeared from their bins, I've returned to apples these past two weeks. First week I bought "raves", those being cheapest per pound at the time. They are edible. Not a great apple, but not bad. This week Kroger sold Fuji's at 60 cents per pound less than Walmart. With some misgivings, I bought a week's worth. I should have heeded those inner warnings. Those eaten so far have varied from barely tolerable to obnoxious. Such a sad fall for what was once one of my all-time favorite foods.

I've switched to Wishbone Garlic Basil Vinaigrette dressing from my salad-suppers. It's not overly flavorful, but a small dab of yellow mustard perks it up sufficiently. I tried Kraft Garlic Parmesan before that. I like its taste, but it gives me a pre-migraine buzz. Not worth the risk.

Sad news. Kroger sold the last of its Wowbutter supply. Both Walmarts had been out for a month or more by then. Neither chain had a restock date online last time I checked. (Admittedly some days ago.) I'm not sure what I'll do once my current jar runs out. Maybe skip lunches altogether? I doubt it will do me harm. I eat a fairly substantial breakfast (oatmeal and fruit) which should tide me over until supper. <crosses fingers> (Regardless of what I do, I'll continue eating half an apple or pear at lunchtime.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 29 2022, 05:59 PM
Post #1494

Paladin
Group Icon

Don't know about price comparing, but looks like Amazon has Wowbutter. Maybe an option in a pinch?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 30 2022, 12:52 PM
Post #1495

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 29 2022, 11:59 AM) *

Don't know about price comparing, but looks like Amazon has Wowbutter. Maybe an option in a pinch?

I've checked out that option. Alas, too expensive. At least double local store prices. Of course, next time stores get some in stock they too might sell it at a too-high-for-me price. Such is life. On a related topic, this month's (Sep 2022) food expenditure came in $3.50US under budget. A miracle! Admittedly, this came about due to a few staples not being available when I needed them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 5 2022, 03:14 PM
Post #1496

Master
Group Icon

High- and lowlights of this week's grocery run:

- Still no WowButter. Kroger says their warehouse is out. They keep requisitioning it, but no luck.With much hesitation I broke down and bought an over-expensive (for my budget) jar of SunButter (sunflower seeds sammich spread) at Walmart, but have yet to try it.

+ Kroger had Sugar Free Blackberry Jam in stock and on sale. It's not Smucker's. I don't like it as well. But it's okay. I bought a jar, Walmart being out of Smucker's SFBJ. (I could have held out until next week, but wanted to take advantage of the discount).

+ The Walmart I don't normally go to had Smucker's Sugar Free Apricot Preserves in-stock for the first time in around a month. I bought a jar. A good thing. The Walmart I normally shop at still has none.

- Neither Walmart stocked its house-brand tuna. I was again forced to buy more expensive StarKist (or do without).

RELATEDLY, I recently decided to cook up rice as a substitute for lettuce for that day's supper. I hadn't cooked rice in forever, and have made it only a few times since acquiring my current Microwave Oven. I couldn't recall exactly how to do it, but thought I remembered the gist of it. So much for thinking. What I ended up with was a large bone-dry circular paddy of rice-hardtack. Needless to say, that went into the trash. I had my normal salad-supper after all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 5 2022, 04:16 PM
Post #1497

Paladin
Group Icon

...large bone-dry circular paddy of rice-hardtack.
laugh.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 10 2022, 03:41 PM
Post #1498

Master
Group Icon

Well poot. Today Walmart not only had no Wowbutter, but has removed its SKU-sticker from where it used to be on the shelf.

No Smucker's Sugar Free Strawberry Jam. I don't know that I've ever seen them run of it before, even when most other sugar-free Smucker's varieties vanish. There's still plenty of sugar-free Grape Jelly in stock. Likely because it doesn't sell. I tried it once. Never again. (Famous last words?)

As suspected, no house-brand bags of frozen Broccoli. I resorted to a far more expensive Name Brand. If it keeps up, I'll just do without, much as I might wish otherwise.

Bought Ambrosia Gold apples at $1.78 per pound. The cashier range them up at $2.28 per pound. Luckily, I looked over my receipt while in-store and had Customer Service refund the difference. As to how those apples taste, we shall see come lunchtime.

Bought another jar of Sunbutter (Sumflower seed spread). I don't like it all that much, but need something to replace Wowbutter. Sooner or later I'm going to have to figure out a tastier, healthy, cheaper Wowbutter alternative or simply forgo lunch (other than a half-apple). Either is a viable option; one more satisfying, one budget friendly.

To the plus, house brand tuna is again in stock. I bought a 4-pack, at a decent saving over what I've been paying for StarKist.

No bags of frozen peach slices. Thankfully, I've enough to last through the week, maybe next.

I bought the store's last bag of frozen Limas, only because someone had sat the bag in the wrong place. Thankfully, I keep a one-month supply of frozen Limas in the freezer, so have a lot of wiggle-room.

Bought two red onions instead of one. Every onion bin was empty save reds, and there weren't many of them. Better safe than sorry.

In other words, it was your average late 2022 U.S. grocery shopping experience. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 18 2022, 05:14 PM
Post #1499

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Popcorn! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 23 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #1500

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Time for pizza!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

81 Pages V « < 73 74 75 76 77 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:07 PM