4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Companionable Adventure of Sir J'Zirlo of New Kvatch
McBadgere
post Mar 29 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

This story has characters which will eventually appear in the fiction of Knights of The Nine - New Kvatch, and is part of that story's timeline, so to help, here are a couple of links to it's characters and the timeline that it follows...

Please enjoy!...

Dramatis Personnae

KOTN Timeline

11/02/13
-------------------------------------------------------

Original post start

Umm...I started doing some journal thing for the Khajiit character I created for Skyrim, called J'Zirlo...It does fit in with the KOTN:NK storyline, but, as with the main story, it's taken on a life of its own and is expanding rapidly into the realm of fan-fic rather than what should be in the "What you're doing" thread...

So I beg your indulgance for the less heavygoing in the Divine/Timejumping-ness journal of Sir J'Zirlo of New Kvatch...

Oh, btw...Cunningly concealed within the journal are spoilers to the entire Companions questline...If you've done it, it's fine...If you don't want to be spoiled...*Shrugs*... biggrin.gif ...

The first bit is the original thing I posted after I created J'Zirlo...The rest is the journal as it stands so far, any new bits won't be as long...What do you mean Hooray? huh.gif ..

Thank you...

----------------------------

"To where are you bound, friend Shaade?" J'zirlo asked.

"Riften. J'Drell asked me to see if I can muster up anything there. You?"

"Aaah...Khajiit is headed for Winterhold. That is where my scrawny reared kitten of a brother was headed. To that college up on the hill."

"A mage?" asked the Imperial Knight. "I had no idea."

"HAH!...He wishes." The large khajiit laughed. "No, he has grand ideas...But...Ach...Khajiit does his kin a great disservice. J'zargo is a decent warrior in his own right, just...Not as good as I." J'zirlo raised an eyebrow.

"Well, khajiit goes left, you, my friend, go right."

Shaade ran her hand down the length of her ponytail to straighten it, then held her hand out to J'zirlo. They clasped forearms.

"May your bed be free from fleas." She said with a smirk.

"Hah! And may your knees be ever free of arrows!" the khajiit repied with a smile.

"J'zirlo thinks that friend Shaade should smile more often. It is a beautiful sight."

The Imperial blushed, smiled and looked down at the floor. Then she pulled the khajiit close and kissed his cheek.

"Stay safe J'zirlo. Thank you."

And they parted.

J'zirlo watched Shaade walk south-east down the road for a while.

She looked back once and smiled.

The khajiit felt something in his heart stir.

"Until next time mii-kiit..." he said quietly, turned to his road, and walked, humming to himself.

------------------

...From the journals of General Sir J'Zirlo of New Kvatch, brother of Blademaster J'Zargo "The Magnificent".

Khajiit are not ones for journal writing. We find it tiresome. Actions speak louder than words and assorted cliches. And I know of at least one officious clerk that will attest to the pen absolutely failing to be mightier than the sword.

And yet, I find that I must write something. Events lately have been...Strange, to say the least.

Once Helgen was secured and re-settled, we - the Knights - were divided off and sent on our missions. Friends Caerellin, Dinasafon and Shaade...Ah! Shaade...Hah...Sorry, got lost musing. They were sent to do what it is they do best, and Olffson and I were sent to Whiterun to make contact with a group we were told were the "Fighters Guild of Skyrim" by the Commander.

Friend Dinas decided that he would be better off alone and left swiftly and silently. The Commander laughed and said, "Just like his father!" but then suddenly went all sullen and told us to leave. I understand not the ways of Argonians. They are a strange race.

Anyhow, the four of us left Helgen with our packs and walked merrily, joking and laughing our way down towards Riverwood. Well, I say we...Caerellin and Olfsson mostly joked, Shaade and I mostly laughed. She has a particular laugh I noticed. It is...Nice...

We made good time down from Helgen, which was a heartfelt joy, as under the late evening summer sun, Riverwood is beautiful. Fortunately, the wolves that shadowed us all the way down, kept away.

In a way that made both Shaade and I laugh, at exactly the same time, both Olfsson and Caerellin said, "Oooh!" and made for seperate directions. Olfsson to the forge he'd seen and Caerellin to the shop that some "pretty" (as far as I'm any judge!) woman had entered.

Shaade shook her head and said she would go and find friend Ralof's sister. I bade her be careful. She smiled. Aaah!..

I made my way to the forge. Olfsson was already bare chested and beating out some metal! That Nord is unstoppable I tell you! Anyways, between us, we took all of the stunned blacksmith's stock of smithing supplies and produced a small stack of weapons and armour - which would keep him in coin for many months, I say with some pride! - in a matter of small hours.

While all this was going on, friends Caerellin and Shaade appeared and declared they were leaving to do something in a barrow...Well, each to their own. Little did I know, it would be some time before I saw Shaade again, else I would have made more of a thing of her leaving. Ah well, the moons still cross the sky and other assorted cliches!

When Caerellin returned alone, and also bade us farewell, little did I know how things would change.

-------------------------------------

As the end of the daylight had been lost to helping the 'smith clear up his forge, Olfsson and I decided to accept the hospitality of friend Ralof's sister. However, we discovered that there was only one bed available. Olfsson looked at me and said, "We're not that close". The whole household erupted in laughter. Khajiit politely offered to stay at the inn, to which Gurdur said, "Only at our expense, with our apologies. But first, you dine with us." You couldn't find better peoples (or cooks, as it happens) anywhere.

Next morning, the Nord and I walked down a winding picturesque part-cobbled road. Suddenly we heard sounds of battle coming from the valley. Looking about us with life detect to check for prying eyes, we cast the speed fortifyer and rushed down to the valley floor.

Several people were fighting - with less than brilliant success - a Giant. Lest we tip our hand, we both slowed to normal speed and ran towards the battle.

Olfsson, as is his wont, charged at the Giant with his shoulder down. Knowing that at the last moment he would augment his speed and strength, I watched as he collided with the towering menace. The Giant toppled over onto a fence, the post of which skewered it through and out the stomach. He roared and tried to arch his back. I ran to the other end of the bearded aggressor, and, as he looked pleading at me, I removed his pain made of this world.

I turned to see Olfsson deep in conversation with a slight, yet obivously well able, red-headed Nord. As the party turned towards the city further into the valley, Olfsson turned back towards I and nodded. It seemed we had found the Companions.

My journey would have been quiet had it not been for the Olfsson-like Nord called Farkas that joined me, and began conversing with me about Heavy-Armour, a topic very close to my heart. A joy to finally meet someone as well able to discuss the intricacies of multi-weave metals and the despair of threading leather straps through Orichalium!!. A true master of Heavy-Armour I had found in Farkas, a Brother-in-Armour!!

And so I spent the hour of my journey to Jorvaskr - or however you spell the damned place - happy. A feeling that, sadly, was not to last.

------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Feb 11 2013, 07:35 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 29 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Hah! And may your knees be ever free of arrows!" the khajiit repied with a smile.

Loved the whole scene with J'zirlo and Shaade, but the above line made me roar, as I'm sure it will anyone who has played Skyrim, ROFL !!! Also from the same scene loved this little clip:

She looked back once and smiled.

The khajiit felt something in his heart stir.

The middle scene was my fave, loved the continuing theme of J'zirlo's musings on Shaade - LOVED how you did that throughout, wove in and out of it like an errant train of thought - AWESOME job you did on that !!

Also LOVED the little snippit where J'zirlo talks about his brother joining the Mages Guild - that could not have been done better, that was SO perfectly done !!!

I caught a few things - political leanings by the following of Ralof, giant quest and the little foreshadowing of the Companions questline ahead - This is great stuff, McB !!! AWESOME WRITE !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 29 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Great story so far, I hope to follow this one better than I did your other. No fault of yours of course.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 30 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #4

Paladin
Group Icon

Okay, I hereby nickname your delightful character: J’Lo. tongue.gif

’I understand not the ways of Argonians. They are a strange race.’
Unlike Khajiit, of course. wink.gif

’As the end of the daylight had been lost to helping the smith clear up his forge, Olfsson and I decided to accept the hospitality of friend Ralof's sister.’
I really like how you worded this. goodjob.gif

A fun jaunt up to Skyrim. J’Lo is a good tour guide. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 30 2012, 01:15 AM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, J’Zirlo’s journal! How fun to imagine Farkas chatting away about a subject that’s close to his heart. Also the thought of Blademaster J’Zargo “The Magnificent” makes me smile. I’m looking forward to more of this!! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 30 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Cheers all...

mALX - Thank you for all that... biggrin.gif ...Glad you're on board for this one too...

Grits - As ever...Thank you so much...

KC - No worries mate... biggrin.gif ...I appreciate your taking the time to read this one...*Bows*...

Acadian - Of course you did!!...However, my J'Lo is attractive, not pretentious and can actually dance... tongue.gif ...Cheers mate... biggrin.gif ...

We continue...

----------------------

Whiterun. A city perched astride the only hill in the midst of a valley ringed by snow-capped mountains. Behind us looms the tallest mountain in the whole of Tamriel. The delightfully oddly named Throat of The World. Whatever that means.

The valley is littered with farms, windmills turning lazily in the breeze. We pass a meadery and have to drag a mock-protesting Olfsson away.

He has an uncanny way with people that Nord.

I am surprised to find that even though we are much beyond Bruma - which Whiterun reminds this Khajiit of so much - it is actually pleasantly warm. This pleases us no end. Tales of whiteout snows were much awry it seems!

We pass the Whiterun stables and climb uphill towards the city gate.

It is said that only mad dogs and Skingrad men go out in the midday sun. Maybe we should add Whiterun guards to that list. No sooner had the other Companions passed by, but one of them decided to stand in the way, blocking my path.

"You aren't allowed in there cat, you should know that."

"Aww c'mon Dice, he's with us." Said my newest friend Farkas.

"You know it's illegal. Khajiit aren't allowed in the cities."

Of all the idiocies! I noticed all of the Companions and Olfsson had stopped and turned around. Olfsson started back towards me, but I shook my head the smallest amount.

Addressing the idiot before me I said, "Khajiit is from Cyrodiil. Apologies, we did not know. To whom do we speak to address this unfortunate situation."

"Well, Solitude is where the..." The guard actually sighed! "Combined Government of the True Empire and Thalmor Remnant sit. Good luck with that, Cyrodiil. You'll be dead before you get three steps from the door. Feel free to use the cart at the bottom of the hill though."

Before my rising anger could cause...A scene, I counted to ten.

And then I counted some more.

Just as I was about to speak again, a surprise voice broke in.

"Jack!"

I looked towards the shouter.

"Jaaaack!! There you are, we were getting worried."

Caerellin strode towards us with a huge grin on his face.

"Come on! Farengar's been worried about you. Thought you'd gotten lost!" At this point he patted me roughly in the back.

Oh, now Khajiit was also to be called Jack! Oh joy, why am I not surprised?

"Farengar?..The wizard?" asked the guard.

"Yeah, Jacky-boy here's come all the way from Cyrodiil. Had a bit of unfortunateness with a potion. Made him look and sound exactly like a Khajiit." Caerellin sniffed. "and smell. Ew. You need a bath Jacky. Anyways, old Farengar's apparently going to turn him back into a good old Imperial. So there you go. Come on Jack. Quick as you like."

The guard stepped further into the road.

"He looks and sounds like a Khajiit. That's all that matters to me."

A growling sounded from somewhere around our knees. Caerellin's wolven familiar had decided to make an appearance.

"Yeah well." Said the Bosmer Knight. "This isn't a wolf. Looks like one. Sounds like one. Bet if it tore your throat out it would feel just like a wolf. Should I nip up and ask old Farengar to come down here to ask your opinions face to face?"

The guard turned white.

"Good man."

The familiar growled and the guard paced quickly backwards and stumbled slightly.

"Come on in Jacky boy, Whiterun's a-calling."

-------------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 31 2012, 12:23 AM
Post #7

Paladin
Group Icon

’The valley is littered with farms, windmills turning lazily in the breeze.’
A wonderful image, this! So easy to clearly imagine.

Poor J’Lo is now Jacky the cat and getting patted roughly on the back. Oh well, at least our little crew bested the unarmed guard in a battle of the wits. The things a cat has to put up with. kvleft.gif

Despite the bad treatment of Khajiit, you are providing a delightfully fun read here! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Mar 31 2012, 12:24 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Mar 31 2012, 02:22 AM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

Finally I made it, yay me, and I'm almost breathing normal again too, woohoo, still sniffly though. Well la ti da...right

I love it so far, sounds like a budding relationship there between J'z and Shaade, and a wonderful way to weave it in.

But I have to say my absolute favorite line is this:

It is said that only mad dogs and Skingrad men go out in the midday sun.

I do so enjoy me some altered references to Noel Coward, he's my fave, hilarious....

Good job my friend, keep it up...looking forward to see how the rest plays out.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 31 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

I found it kind of funny that Khajiit aren't allowed in the cities... except if you are one. I suppose that's just to keep the game from being irritating. Whatever.

I enjoyed J'zirlo's difficulties at the gates. A little name dropping can get you far, or at least inside a city.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 2 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

I love how Caerellin got “Jack” into the city. That way Olfsson wub.gif didn’t have to charge at the guard. blink.gif

Sounds like a beautiful day in Whiterun. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Apr 3 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

"Looks like one. Sounds like one. Bet if it tore your throat out it'd feel just like a wolf."

I like that line smile.gif

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 3 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

I know one Skingrad man that doesn't go out in the midday sun, ROFL !!

They let werewolfs in but not Khajiit, that had me rolling - as did the below two quotes !!!

Before my rising anger could cause...A scene, I counted to ten. And then I counted some more.

Oh, now Khajiit was also to be called Jack! Oh joy, why am I not surprised?

I am loving this new story !!! Now if our storms can stop, and the site stay up - MORE !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 4 2012, 04:39 AM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Thank ye all, I'm glad you're enjoying...Much appreciation to you all... biggrin.gif ...

--------------------

“By all the sands in the desert I thank you my friend, but that should not have worked.” I said to friend Caerellin as he, newest friend Farkas and I passed through the gateway to Whiterun.

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“Khajiit had already told the fool that we were, in fact, Khajiit.”

Friend Caerellin looked back and swore. “Missed that...Right, wait here, I’ll be back in a moment.”

“He seems fun.” Observed Farkas.

I nodded, the Bosmer did indeed seem so. I neglected to suggest to the Nord that had my friend wished, the entire guardary of Whiterun would now be lying in pools of their own blood; And that should my seemingly fun friend give the word, it would be likely that the three of us Knights could take control of the city.

I thought it more...Polite to not, really.

Looking about myself, I took in the delights of Whiterun that I could see. An abundance of timbered buildings gave answer to the question as to why there were few trees in the valley. Beautifully and solidly built, everything was timber, from houses to shops, workshops and Inns were to be seen even from just inside the gate. Certainly, this was perhaps the last place anyone would want to be if a dragon was about. The city would be ashen by evening!

I noticed that most of the Companion group were heading up the road, the show outside the gate now over. I suggested to friend Farkas that he catch up with them, and that I would find my way to this Jorrvaskr soon enough.

“Oh, okay. If you’re sure...If you get lost, just ask anyone here, they’ll point you in the right direction.”

I watched as he ran to catch up with his company.

My gaze was drawn to the forge...as it ever is! Outside the smithy, two people were deep in discussion. The sight made my hackles rise. I may have hissed.

Maybe...

But anyway, talking to what was, I later found out to indeed be the Blacksmith, was a soldier of the Traitor Legion. Not so much a Legionnaire as a Leggies-out as they say in the Imperial Legion. I mean really, you escape to Skyrim, the coldest country in Tamriel and you design a uniform that is essentially, a dress? What damned fool thought that was a good idea? One decently placed frost trap and...Well...Snow balls anyone? Oh, I know, I’ll go running uphill and down dale in my dress, oh damn, my legs have snapped from the cold.

Idiot. At least the old Imperial Legion uniform had fur lining. And the proper number of pieces to it. Bare legs. Idiocy.

Ah, I sigh!

The Legionnaire was suggesting that they needed more swords and faster. The lady suggested that she was going as fast as she can. I decided to suggest that he shove what swords he had somewhere dark.

Fortunately, friend Caerellin grabbed my arm before I could get too near.

“Save it.” he said.

I sighed and nodded.

We walked up the road.

------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Apr 4 2012, 08:54 AM
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 4 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, we def know his political bent, odd choice for a Khajiit, lol. Great Write!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 5 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #15

Paladin
Group Icon

’likely that the three of us Knights could take control of the city. ‘
This speaks either highly of our knights or perhaps lowly of the city. Likely both I figure. wink.gif

Loved J’Lo’s observations on Men in Tights Legionnaires in Dresses. Snow balls indeed. biggrin.gif

Seriously now, with a gently effectiveness you show us the power, chivalry and restraint of your knights here. Well done! goodjob.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 5 2012, 01:37 AM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

The commentary about the legion uniform made me think of kilts. Lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 5 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

mALX...Not sure about that, they're up against everyone in this adventure... biggrin.gif ...

Acadian...Thank you very much...At some point you may get to see what the Knights can actually do in a fight... tongue.gif ...And thank you for your words at the end...I appreciate that muchly... smile.gif ...

KC...Lol... biggrin.gif ...

I would just like to add I mean no offence to Kilt wearers...It's just a personal observation about the Legion armour being like the stuff from New Vegas as opposed to what we had in Oblivion, which would make more sense in the snow...Y'know?... blink.gif ...

Aaamywho....Cheers all!!...

-----------------------------------

“Well, that was a piece of luck.” Caerellin informed me.

“You? Luck? This surprises me.” I lied.

My friend grinned and continued, “As luck would have it, the Commander of the guard chose that moment to do an inspection.”

“This is lucky?”

“It is if he happens to be one of those we’re looking for.”

I was stunned! Mere hours into our missions and here was the first result! “But wait,” said I, “how can you be sure?”

Caerellin stopped short and frowned at me. I suddenly noticed the aurora of magicks around his eyes.“Well, one, he recognised me from years ago, which is no easy feat for an Imperial. Two, he pulled me to one side and said those three little words I was longing to hear.”

I raised an eyebrow in question.

“Commander’s cousin’s Khajiit. And three, I used my blessing.”

Since Talos first bestowed his Blessing on Robert McWylde two centuries ago, there have been many of the Knights down the years who received a Divine Blessing. Powers which go beyond the “normal”. One of which, is to “see” the calling of one of the Divines in other Knights.

“Excuse me, my friend. It has only been a matter of weeks since Zenithar chose to bless J’Zirlo in this way. We find it...Difficult.”

Unlike most Bosmer, friend Caerellin was only a little shorter than your average Imperial. Leaning near to me, Caerellin said quietly. “Well, you’re going to have to get used to it if you’re going to do this.” He gestured about himself. “C’mon ‘Zirlo, J’Drell could have had the Knights Shadow do this, or just ordered a full-scale invasion. But no, he’s trying to do this with as little bloodshed as possible. And the easiest way is to find if any of the old Knights escaped the Purge and managed to stay out of Dinai’s little Stormcloak idiocy.

If we can pick up any allies along the way, like yer Companions over there, then it’s all good. But at the moment, all we’ve got is us six and our Blessings to try and find everyone. Anyways, I’m meeting the good Commander later, in the Inn. He also suggested I talk to the Bosmer in this shop and the Breton in the other one. So that’ll be me then.”

“Khajiit apologises General. We did not mean to appear afeared. J’Zirlo will do all he can.”

“Enough with the General as well, J'Drell's made us all Knight-Marshals. Noone outranks the others now.”

I raised my eyebrow again.

“Shut up.” He laughed. “But one more thing.”

“Of course.” I said.

“It’s unfortunate, but we really could have used more snoops on this. Dinas, me...Even Shaade,” Ah Shaade! “we’re all decent snoops. J’Drell used to be Investigato, but I doubt he can pull that off anymore. And Although he’s no idiot, Olfsson’s about as subtle as an avalanche, so you, are going to have to do all the snooping while Olfsson’s being...Olfsson.”

“One question my friend.”

“Yes?” he answered.

“What is...Snoop?”

-----------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 5 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

Since Talos first bestowed his Blessing on Robert McWylde two centuries ago

GAAAAAH! What? How is Robert McWylde living two centuries? Urk? Great Write, but you just shocked my world here with that line !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 5 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

Ummm...McWylde died 50 years earlier (as mentioned in the other story)...His Grandfather was Altmer so he lived longer anyways...

I meant that McWylde was given the Talos power 200 years earlier...As in...The 200 years that Oblivion/KOTN was before Skyrim time, which is when this story is set...

Cheers though...
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 5 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 5 2012, 01:55 PM) *

Ummm...McWylde died 50 years earlier (as mentioned in the other story)...His Grandfather was Altmer so he lived longer anyways...

I meant that McWylde was given the Talos power 200 years earlier...As in...The 200 years that Oblivion/KOTN was before Skyrim time, which is when this story is set...

Cheers though...

GAAAAH! I don't do well with time shifting back and forth I guess, Lol. Sorry, McB. My mind has its feeble moments, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:03 AM