6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hardest games you've ever played, Any platform
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 31 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #61

Mouth
Group Icon

Arena was pretty brutal, actually. Definitely the hardest TES game I've played a significant amount of by far (although maybe Battlespire will be worse). Died in the Imperial dungeons in the beginning at least 25 times.

I have also played the original Castlevania. The difficulty in that game is just ridiculous. I also was able to play Super Mario Bros. all the way to World 8-4, but just could not get past it.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post May 31 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #62

Master
Group Icon

I've had more difficulty with Daggerfall then I did with Arena mostly because of glitches. Morrowind has had its difficulty moments but nothing that can't be handled.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 8 2017, 03:03 AM
Post #63

Master
Group Icon

One hard game I've tried to play was the original Metroid for the NES. I could never quite get into this game. I have played Metroid II: The Return of Samus, Super Metroid and the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 8 2017, 03:56 AM
Post #64

Mouth
Group Icon

How about just a particular hard mode?

My Castlevania experience is very limited, but the one I have played the most extensively by far was a relatively lesser known one that has received a fairly lukewarm reception: Lament of Innocence. I found it quite fun even if wasn't a particularly great game, but the normal mode is a bit too easy. In fact, I didn't die once on normal mode, even on the boss run you can do at the end. When you beat the game on normal, you unlock "crazy" mode, which is the super hard one. Remember, I never died on normal mode.

I DIED THREE TIMES ON THE [censored] TUTORIAL IN CRAZY MODE. LIKE, WHAT THE HELL? The disparity between normal and hard mode in the game was just so absurd! I didn't play much further than the tutorial on the higher difficulty. Good grief...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 8 2017, 05:26 AM
Post #65

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 7 2017, 09:56 PM) *

How about just a particular hard mode?

Only game I've played on "Hard Mode" was Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 on the Realistic setting. It doesn't change to much in terms of numbers of enemies and their AI but bullets aren't your friend and you can forget about point blank range, getting shot that close on realistic setting and you can guaranteed a revisit to your nearest checkpoint.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Nov 8 2017, 05:44 AM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 8 2017, 05:42 AM
Post #66

Ancient
Group Icon

Lately Khajiit has played a game called Player Unknown's Battlegrounds or PUBG as it's also known. Khajiit is terrible at this game, lol. It's so frustrating dying over and over again.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Nov 29 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #67

Ancient
Group Icon

Monster Party for the NES

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Dec 31 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #68

Master
Group Icon

Doom VFR on the PS4. Not so much on the difficulty but rather hard to do no more then a couple of levels before getting motion sickness.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jun 1 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #69

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 8 2017, 01:42 PM) *

Lately Khajiit has played a game called Player Unknown's Battlegrounds or PUBG as it's also known. Khajiit is terrible at this game, lol. It's so frustrating dying over and over again.

The tactics I usually employ in games like these are as follows:

1. Land in a place that is relatively barren. Be at the edge of the map if need be. You’ll have your pick of weapons and there’s usually a vehicle near every place so you won’t have to worry about dying of poison when the map shrinks.

2. Limit your own visibility and audio cues by crouch-running and crawling whenever possible. Also check your six, nine and basically every direction at regular intervals. Smart people like to do people from behind, and while that may sound dirty, it’s a legit strategy. You’ll be surprised how cunning and sneaky people can be.

2b. Not only should you be environmentally and situationally aware, you should also be paranoid as all hell. If you see something that clashes with the natural environment, there’s a 60/40 chance that’s not part of the scenery. Check it out with the scope of your gun; you’ll have the advantage of already aiming at it if it turns out to be an enemy. This is especially true in crappy mobile renditions of Battle Royale type of games — the pixels of character models are so easy to differentiate from the set pieces of the environment and I get sooooooo many kills off of it.

3. Use stun and smoke grenades. They’re criminally underused.

4. It may just be a personal thing, but unless the need is really important, I don’t recommend using cars. They’re so loud and it can tip people off whenever you’re driving to an inhabited building or village or whatever. Bikes are the worst.

5. Be a predator, not a warrior, at least until you’re confident enough to just pawn people left and right. Choose engagements really carefully and more often than not let people pass you by unmolested (if they don’t see you). Let them thin their own ranks. I won several games where I only had one kill, and that was the last guy in a 1v1 when 98 of the other players were dead lol

And that’s it tbh. I’m still a learning journeyman myself but I hope this’ll help you in the future, my good Cat Man Dude.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jun 2 2018, 02:58 AM
Post #70

Master
Group Icon

Zelda 2: The Adventure of LINK. It don't like me sad.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 2 2018, 03:44 AM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jun 1 2018, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 8 2017, 01:42 PM) *

The tactics I usually employ in games like these are as follows:

1. Land in a place that is relatively barren. Be at the edge of the map if need be. You’ll have your pick of weapons and there’s usually a vehicle near every place so you won’t have to worry about dying of poison when the map shrinks.

2. Limit your own visibility and audio cues by crouch-running and crawling whenever possible. Also check your six, nine and basically every direction at regular intervals. Smart people like to do people from behind, and while that may sound dirty, it’s a legit strategy. You’ll be surprised how cunning and sneaky people can be.

2b. Not only should you be environmentally and situationally aware, you should also be paranoid as all hell. If you see something that clashes with the natural environment, there’s a 60/40 chance that’s not part of the scenery. Check it out with the scope of your gun; you’ll have the advantage of already aiming at it if it turns out to be an enemy. This is especially true in crappy mobile renditions of Battle Royale type of games — the pixels of character models are so easy to differentiate from the set pieces of the environment and I get sooooooo many kills off of it.

3. Use stun and smoke grenades. They’re criminally underused.

4. It may just be a personal thing, but unless the need is really important, I don’t recommend using cars. They’re so loud and it can tip people off whenever you’re driving to an inhabited building or village or whatever. Bikes are the worst.

5. Be a predator, not a warrior, at least until you’re confident enough to just pawn people left and right. Choose engagements really carefully and more often than not let people pass you by unmolested (if they don’t see you). Let them thin their own ranks. I won several games where I only had one kill, and that was the last guy in a 1v1 when 98 of the other players were dead lol

And that’s it tbh. I’m still a learning journeyman myself but I hope this’ll help you in the future, my good Cat Man Dude.

Heh, Cat Man Dude hasn’t played that game in several months. Never did get very good at it so this one decided to cut his losses and accept that it wasn’t for him.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Oct 17 2018, 05:48 AM
Post #72

Master
Group Icon

Not really hard but the Ghost Recon Wildlands Predator battle was a Bee-with-an-itch so to speak.

Clicky here.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 17 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #73

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 31 2017, 08:10 PM) *

Arena was pretty brutal, actually. Definitely the hardest TES game I've played a significant amount of by far (although maybe Battlespire will be worse). Died in the Imperial dungeons in the beginning at least 25 times.

You're not alone, maety. Though personally I don't think I died too often, or at all. Think I was being a giant chicken and thus vewy, vewy quiet tongue.gif

I have also played the original Castlevania. The difficulty in that game is just ridiculous. I also was able to play Super Mario Bros. all the way to World 8-4, but just could not get past it.

Haven't played much Castlevania but I hear it's a brute. Those "flying backwards half a mile when hit" is pure NES b-s.
As for SMB I usually play up to world 6-4 and then call it quits. I'm not skilled or patient enough to go further.

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Jun 2 2018, 03:58 AM) *

Zelda 2: The Adventure of LINK. It don't like me sad.gif .

It's not an easy game and it does have some very weird secrets that you have to figure out in order to advance. I've tried my wings with it but haven't come far, mainly due to lack of interest. I did spam XP though for awhile.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Oct 18 2018, 01:16 AM
Post #74

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 17 2018, 12:30 PM) *

You're not alone, maety. Though personally I don't think I died too often, or at all. Think I was being a giant chicken and thus vewy, vewy quiet tongue.gif

Forgot all about this post.

Unfortunately, sneaking around was not an option for me, lol. (Nor was naturally casting magic, as a warrior like my Eternal Champion had to get enchanted gear to do that.) The Imperial Dungeons sure were brutal, but that certainly wasn't the only hard part. I remember in one of the main dungeons (the Mines of Khuras, I believe, since that was a fiery place) that I had to book it back to the entrance after I got what must have been another piece of the Staff of Chaos, because there were hellhounds skulking about and I had no Resist Fire potions left. Of course, I wasn't successful on the first try. Overall, I must have died close to 100 times in the game, or at least that is what it felt like.

Still haven't gotten around to playing Battlespire for comparison, though.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 17 2018, 12:30 PM) *

Haven't played much Castlevania but I hear it's a brute. Those "flying backwards half a mile when hit" is pure NES b-s.
As for SMB I usually play up to world 6-4 and then call it quits. I'm not skilled or patient enough to go further.

I personally don't understand the praise the original Castlevania gets. I get that it is supposed to be designed that way and its a different era, but it's just unfair and not fun. It was something like stage 3 is when I finally just had enough.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 18 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #75

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yeah, many old games really didn't play fairly. Gravitating towards a bottomless pit every time something nudges you is the reason I've played through so few games even though the NES was de facto my childhood.

I did play through some games though. River City Ransom is a great game as is Shadowgate, if you can stomach all the "what do I do now?" Very atmospheric, though.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 12 2018, 04:31 PM
Post #76

Master
Group Icon

I'm adding Dark Souls to this list. Both Yahtzee and Jim Sterling (YouTubers) swear by this game as the Leonardo Da Vinci of gaming so I decided to check it out. I made it through the intro dungeon but after that the game showed me its true form. Like I said I'm not into these type of rage games so to spare the Switch I decided to delete the game from its memory and replace it with Fortnite.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Kane
post Nov 12 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #77

Master
Group Icon

Pretty sure that game series is made specifically for masochists.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 12 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #78

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Nov 12 2018, 11:24 AM) *

Pretty sure that game series is made specifically for masochists.

YEEP!

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 12 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #79

Spam Meister
Group Icon

You guys must be talking about the Ninja Gaiden series.

Yep, you're talking about the Ninja Gaiden series.

Don't believe me? Play them for a bit and then get back to me wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 12 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #80

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 12 2018, 11:35 AM) *

You guys must be talking about the Ninja Gaiden series.

Yep, you're talking about the Ninja Gaiden series.

Don't believe me? Play them for a bit and then get back to me wink.gif

that game is 8bit Dark Souls before Dark Souls existed.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:29 AM