142 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Because Every Rose Has Its Video, Rosa's Vid Topic
Thomas Kaira
post May 3 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

"Obstruction detected, composition: titanium alloy supplemented by photonic resonance barrier. Probability of Mission hindrance: zero percent!"

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 3 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

King Coin: I didn't want to just do nothing. I had to at least try to shoot someone! Granted, it is fun to just watch Liberty Prime do his thing! biggrin.gif I usually do not travel with any companions. They always get in the way. But I picked up Fawkes after Raven Rock (as usual), and it just felt natural to bring him for the assault.

mALX: If you listen very carefully you can hear Fawkes at the very beginning of the attack saying "There is reason to be cautious." Which is hilarious under the circumstances. No kidding Old Yeller? What gave you that idea?

Thomas Kaira: I just love listening to Liberty Prime. "Democracy is truth! Communism is Death!" biggrin.gif You can tell the devs had a lot of fun writing his lines!

Next, the rest of the tale.

Part 2 - Tomoe and company take the Jefferson Memorial

Part 3 - Destiny awaits.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 3 2011, 08:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 3 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

The "Good Karma" ending !! I love the ending of the main quest in Fallout 3, both Raven Rock's implosion and following Liberty Prime to the Jeff Mem - especially on the 360 for those two scenes.

Playing on the 360, where the controller responds to environmental explosions - I had trouble even holding the controller it was vibrating and jumping in my hands almost continuously through both of these scenes in the main questline! I don't know when I've been more excited in any vid game then following Liberty Prime !!

I think for scenes like these it might be preferable to play the game on the 360 for the interactive controller that really brings the scene to life as you feel every explosion and every second of the bumping of your allies as you crowd across that bridge and down under the tunnel.

(haven't gotten to the end battle of New Vegas yet, the game keeps fatally crashing - but I imagine it will be another epic fight with the controller)

These vids of yours are AWESOME !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: May 3 2011, 06:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 3 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

When I first played Fallout 3 I really did not like the ending, mostly because I wasn't expecting it. Now I think it's great to have an end game scripted in like that.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post May 3 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #25

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ May 3 2011, 11:59 AM) *

When I first played Fallout 3 I really did not like the ending, mostly because I wasn't expecting it. Now I think it's great to have an end game scripted in like that.

Well that's simply it. Bethesda had to rush the ending because they ran out of development time. That's why Broken Steel came along, because of how sudden the ending to the game really was.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 4 2011, 01:35 AM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

mALX: I always play good characters. While I don't mind murdering the occasional s.o.b. who has it coming - like Dr. Lesko or Anna Holt - I just cannot bring myself to do the really heinous stuff you need to in order to get bad karma, like blowing up megaton or enslaving people.

I love the FO3 ending too. Liberty Prime is just fantastic. He is the classic Golden Age Sci Fi robot, so cool to look at. Those eyebeams of his make a really cool sound, and the whole idea of a giant robot throwing nuclear bombs is just so insane that it works! Watching him tear up the DC ruins is just tons of fun.

King Coin: A lot of people seemed to complain about Martin being the hero in Oblivion and the player character feeling like a sidekick. So I think they had the player be the one to make the ultimate sacrifice in FO3. Of course that makes the rest of the game kind of hard to play after finishing the main quest... wink.gif But they fixed that with Broken Steel of course. It seems kind of silly to die in the Purifier when you have Fawkes right there, immune to radiation like all super mutants are. But that is Bethesda for you.

Thomas Kaira: So that is why the MQ is so quick? It does go by rather quick. Although it still does seem longer than the MQ of Fallout 1 (which I just got a few days ago). I am not surprised. Publishers always seem to rush devs to release games before their time. Like with KOTOR 2. None of them seem to realize that the better your product, the more of it you will sell.

Next, something rather different. I started a new FO3 character, and plan to do the Pitt with her soon. But for the moment she is still in the Capital Wasteland, scouting for food and chems. Yep, that's right, The Super Duper Mart! She ran into a trio of Talon Company scuzzballs outside, which accounts for her armor. I missed the first minute or so in the mart, then started the camera rolling after I hacked the robot's computer terminal.

Boudica at the Super Duper Mart

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 4 2011, 01:37 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 4 2011, 01:49 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

You take some odd items. Like the Vodka bottle? And the .32 pistols and Chinese pistols? I never take those. Did you leave the 5.56 ammo behind?

I prefer the game end with your death rather than continuing with Broken Steel. I simply don't do the main quest until my character has explored everything and has done everything that I want to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post May 4 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #28

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, it seems the logical explanation. Every last bit of the main quest up to that point was very well connected and thought out, but then the ending just comes and hits you like a freight truck. It's that fast, and is at huge odds with the pacing of the rest of the game. When the final quest come around, it's just a huge spike in the tension-o-meter. I, myself, thought there was room for at least one more segment between Raven Rock blowing up and the assault on Project Purity.

You know what could have happened? The Enclave could have assaulted the Citadel in retaliation for the loss of Raven Rock, and you, the player would be tasked with making your way through the facility under siege to find and activate Liberty Prime. From there, you would drive the Enclave out of the Citadel with the help of everyone's favorite communist-bustin' robot, and then the final assault would begin. Much better transition, and we get more Liberty Prime action in the bargain. wink.gif

What we got in the actual game, to me, has "oh, crap, we gotta finish this NOW" written all over it. It felt like Bethesda was having so much fun developing everything else, the release date just snuck up on them, and they just cobbled together a quick ending just so the main quest ended with you achieving something. They were simply too focused on the world around the main quest, and forgot about the actual journey.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: May 4 2011, 02:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 4 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

Even though I love Oblivion more than FO3 - I still have to say that I have never found another scene so incredibly exciting in any vid game ever - then following Liberty Prime to that Jeff Mem building. That was the ulitimate experience ever !!

Slave collars:

I thought I could make a fortune enslaving the people that attacked me first - imagine my surprise when I got bad karma for that !!! So other than a few times of using that mez for making people empty their pockets - I never used it.

That guy in Rivet City that sells the guns is one of my fave characters and merchant in the game, I wouldn't have been able to make myself attack him with that slave collar anyway.

I was surprised Anna Holt gave bad karma since she defected to the Enclave, had to reload the save from coming up to that floor and re-do a bunch of sneaking, lol.

Lesko - even though I was dying for his coat, I didn't kill him. He was nice to my character, and I wanted to earn caps selling him fire ant nectar. As it turned out, he glitched and wouldnt' deal with my character so I was unable to get rich. I found out when I was stuck with a bunch of it - that stuff is great fire protection.

I prefer playing the good karma character too, but wanted all the available achievement points on the 360. You don't really have to continue your evil ways to stay a bad karma character - just don't do anything good once you get across that line.

My favorite outfit is Vance's long coat and the Vampire's Edge sword - cleaning out that vampire nest in the train station gives bad karma for the attack on each person and anything you take. Take everything and drop it on the floor in a large area.

If I accidentally got into neutral or good karma - I'd just go pick up those items, then drop them again. Couldn't bring myself to make a lot of the horrible choices that keeping bad karma entailed, lol.

I'm going to watch the vid in the morning so I don't wake the whole house, lol. I'll comment then.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 4 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

King Coin: Vodka is liquid caps! It is worth 20 caps, and only weighs 1 lb. I always look at the value/weight ratio when I decide what I pick up. I never bother with conductors, irons, etc... because they weigh too much. I take the little pistols because they are common, so I can pick up a lot of them. Then I combine them all into one by repairing them, and I can easily get 80 or 90 caps for it. That is great for something that weighs only 2 lbs.

Thomas Kaira: I can imagine some other quests that could happen earlier in the MQ as well. There could be a fetch and carry mission to someplace like RobCo to get special parts they need for the mainframe. Then later perhaps a mission to Vault Tec Hq to find out where to get a Geck. Then maybe the Geck is missing from Vault 87, and you find a note saying the super mutants took it to DC, or Germantown, etc... Then you have to race the Enclave to get to it first.

mALX: You can get Lesko's coat without killing him. Just demand more compensation when you talk to him, and he will sweeten the deal by throwing it in with the ant mutation. I had no idea you could sell him the fire ant nectar though!

Bethesda really had their heads up their collective rears when they decided a lot of the karma gain/losses. Like killing Evan King. He murders his parents to drink their blood, but killing him is evil? Or finding a peaceful solution to the ghouls getting into Tenpenny Tower gives you good karma, even though the ghouls murder everyone inside? Yet leading the ghouls in an attack through the basement to slaughter everyone gives you bad karma? I want to knock on the devs heads and ask if anyone is home in there.

I never really thought about just picking things up that are owned and dropping them to keep my karma down. I think it might be easier just to mod the karma system though, to change the amount you get, or the thresholds needed at either end of the spectrum. The game makes is way too easy to be in the good karma, imho. I can see how you get bad karma for nuking megaton. But you really should not get much, if any good karma for disarming the bomb. You are being paid for it after all. It is just a business deal. A pretty simple one too since you only need a 25 in Repair (or less if you use Mentats before trying), and you get a free house. Besides, like Moira says, that bomb never hurt anyone anyway.

You get so much good karma easily that I stopped worrying about the bad karma for killing people like Evan King or Anna Holt will get me. I can make it up just by giving someone purified water if I want to. In that game with Tomoe I killed both, and was still in the sainted territory. I probably would have had to nuke megaton just to get down to neutral.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 4 2011, 05:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 4 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

Agree 100% on some of the karma decisions Bethesda made - especially on Tenpenny Tower. That quest just flat made me mad the way the karma was worked. I had cleared out the ghouls, then heard Three Dog on the radio "That evil Wanderer slaughtered those poor ghouls, they're people too..." . So I reloaded an old save and redid the quest, going with the peaceful solution - the ghouls killed everyone, and here comes Three Dog on the radio "That evil Wanderer slaughtered all those nice people..." - he blamed the player for what the ghouls did !!!

I was so ticked off I felt like getting the ghoul mask and then slaughtering them all, ghoul and human, lol. I reloaded that old save and never did that quest then or in future games.

The Megaton home was preferable to me anyway, or using free homes.

Without being able to mod the 360 game, I had to come up with ways I could live with to lower karma at will. Raising is easy between the quests and releasing prisoners/purified water, etc. That chapel in the Rivet City is a great place to donate your way into good karma too, lol.

That game with Tomoe I killed both, and was still in the sainted territory. I probably would have had to nuke megaton just to get down to neutral.

ROFL !!!

I loved this vid. That Super Duper Mart was my absolute first quest in Fallout 3 - had no idea what I was walking into! This vid was a great reminder, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post May 4 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 4 2011, 09:29 AM) *

Thomas Kaira: I can imagine some other quests that could happen earlier in the MQ as well. There could be a fetch and carry mission to someplace like RobCo to get special parts they need for the mainframe. Then later perhaps a mission to Vault Tec Hq to find out where to get a Geck. Then maybe the Geck is missing from Vault 87, and you find a note saying the super mutants took it to DC, or Germantown, etc... Then you have to race the Enclave to get to it first.

Fetch quests for the sake of extending the length of the main game is not something I generally support. Done badly, this can be seen as padding the length, which is a no-no in game design (and one Oblivion is shamefully guilty of). However, going to Vault-Tec HQ to find the location of a GECK is something that does make a lot of sense. Perhaps your dad never managed to figure out where to find one? It would also mean another trip into the city ruins (which you only really do once in the MQ).

The third one I have to say I disapprove of that one. That would be a truly pointless detour for the game to take, as it would accomplish absolutely nothing except to annoy the player. The main reason is because I can't see that happening at all, the Muties are too caught up looking for FEV and people to convert into them to care about some random briefcase laying around. Fawkes only cared because she kept her personality when she was turned.

However, on the opposite end of the spectrum, the reason the Vault-Tec idea would work is because of two things: reasonable plausibility, and it would serve as a learning experience for the player (particularly those who didn't have a chance to play the previous two Fallouts). That is a fetch quest that serves a purpose, as it sends the player to an interesting area that allows for the developers to build the atmosphere.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 7 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

I took a few small clips of Boudica today. She is now wearing Lincoln's Hat, as she is hot on the heels of exploring the Museum of Natural History. She is also now packing a Lever Action Rifle. I made a small mod to take them from Point Lookout and make them for sale in the Capital Wasteland (and remove the extra 35 points of damage PL weapons do!).

Boudica makes her way through the underground at Anacostia Crossing metro station.

She emerges into the sunlit world at the foot of Rivet City. A welcoming committee is waiting for her...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post May 7 2011, 01:48 AM
Post #34

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 6 2011, 06:20 PM) *

I took a few small clips of Boudica today. She is now wearing Lincoln's Hat, as she is hot on the heels of exploring the Museum of Natural History. She is also now packing a Lever Action Rifle. I made a small mod to take them from Point Lookout and make them for sale in the Capital Wasteland (and remove the extra 35 points of damage PL weapons do!).

Madness! That weapon doesn't do 35 points too much damage, every other weapon in the game does 35 points too little damage! biggrin.gif

Of course, I like my combat to be quick, dirty, and unforgiving over taking two centuries to finish. It feels a lot more satisfying to win a fight really feeling like your life was on the line. That, and also allowing for the signature god-like feeling when you get to a super-high level and can simply cream those pesky raiders that once terrorized you before.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 7 2011, 04:07 AM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Spotting a patrol of Talon Company alway brings a smile to my face.

Generally it isn't recommended to run to a confined area when someone's tossing grenades, but it seemed to work out for you.

Your videos are very good. Do you have the full version of Fraps? Different program?

This post has been edited by King Coin: May 7 2011, 05:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post May 8 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 6 2011, 08:20 PM) *

Boudica makes her way through the underground at Anacostia Crossing metro station.

She emerges into the sunlit world at the foot of Rivet City. A welcoming committee is waiting for her...

Lincoln's hat looks great! Ooh, the Museum, that means Lincoln's repeater should be in her hands soon, lol. Great vids !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 15 2011, 05:32 AM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

Thomas Kaira: Most of my gun battles last just a few seconds. That is quick and dirty enough for me!

King Coin: I do have the full-version of FRAPs, but as far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the shareware version is that it allows you to save your screenshots as .jpgs. But it compresses them so much that the quality is noticeably poor. So I still save them at .bmps and convert them to .jpgs myself.

mALX: I had to do a restart of the character from a few levels earlier to get rid of a couple perks that I decided I did not want. So no more Lincoln's Hat. But now that she met Hannibal from the Temple of the Union, she will be going back to the Museum to get it once more. I doubt she will keep it, or the Repeater though.

Next: After returning from The Pitt, Boudica was exploring when she came upon an interesting scene.

Boudica comes to Canterbury Commons.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 15 2011, 05:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post May 15 2011, 05:52 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

The free version only lets you record 30 seconds of video at a time. That's the difference that may make me drop the coin to get. It gets to be a pain having to pause the game all the time so I can reset the recorder.

The first time I saw that I killed both of them and continued on my merry way. So much for the plot huh? Are we going to see more of this quest?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post May 15 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

I didn't know you could kill them both and get the two costumes - or was it the weapons you can't get without the quest? All I know is, I wanted the Mech's apartment more than the ants's pad, so ended up missing out on the ant girl's costume, and weapon too (I think), lol.

Loved the vid, that is the first time I've seen the shouting between them before they go after each other. Whenever I've started that quest some man has run out to greet me, and by the time he quit jabbering they were already in the middle of fighting each other. It was pretty interesting to see the ants waited till they were commanded to attack.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 15 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #40

Paladin
Group Icon

Just popped in to let you know I'm following your foray into videos. Although I don't expect to ever play FO3, it is fun to see snips of it presented through the eyes of your characters. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

142 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:24 PM