Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Listening To (The Resurrection), Musical Musings
mALX
post Nov 26 2015, 12:18 AM
Post #3581

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 25 2015, 06:02 PM) *

Been listening to some Avril Lavigne albums while doing some sudokus. Curiously enough, they actually seem to help...

WOO HOO! I LOVE Suokus!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 27 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #3582

Master
Group Icon

I've not felt up to much serious listening since the onset of my current health concerns over a week ago. That said, I felt sufficiently well yesterday afternoon to get in a decent listening session.

YouTube currently houses most if not all of Andras Schiff's wonderful lecture-recital series on the Beethoven piano sonatas. I chose to hear again the one devoted to sonata no 11 opus 22, a sonata I knew not at all until purchasing Roland Brautigam's complete Beethoven sonata set on SACD late last year. I quickly grew to love its opening movement, and enjoy the other three. Schiff's insights help me better appreciate what Beethoven does with the piece, and his played examples are as always about as well executed as one can hope for.

Following the lecture I had an irresistible hankering to hear the sonata uninterrupted. For that I chose an in-concert recording by Maurizio Pollini, whose Beethoven interpretations almost never fail to please me.

Just prior to becoming sick I had been listening to Brautigam's Beethoven, in particular disks 4-6, containing sonatas 12-25. Much to treasure here. If forced to pick favorites I'd single out his interpretations of the Pastorale (no.15) and Hunt (No.18). Disk six remains for me the set's one disappointment. For whatever reason his interpretations of sonatas no.21 (Waldstein) and 23 (Appassionata), long-time favorite works, just don't speak to me. (On the other hand, a live-filming of Brautigam performing the Waldstein, available on YouTube, is one of my preferred performances of that work.) It doesn't help that sandwiched between the two is sonata no.22, the one Beethoven piano sonata I've not yet developed much liking for. Eep! I almost forgotten to mention the unnamed sonata no.16, another work with which I was totally unfamiliar until acquiring the Brautigam. Not only is it now a favorite, but to my admittedly retched ears is one of those pieces that, all else being equal, sounds better on a fortepiano such as Brautigam uses than a modern concert grand.

Some days ago, during another period of feeling relatively well, I listened to my favorite performance of Saint Saens' third symphony, the so-called "Organ", an old radio broadcast by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Daniel Barenboim. This is a piece I became acquainted with early into my love-affair with classical music. I loved the work unreservedly then. I do so now. Due to its source sound quality isn't the best, but adequate to convey the interpretation.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 27 2015, 01:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 29 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #3583

Master
Group Icon

Yesterday after supper I listened to disk eight of Brautigam's Beethoven Sonata SACD set, containing sonatas no.28, 30, 31, and 32. I'd not heard this disk in some time and had forgotten what a fine job he does with no.32 (the final sonata). With no.28 my allegiance remains firmly with Maurizio Pollini's commercial studio recording, which I own on CD.

This afternoon I listened once again to the Jasper String Quartet's filmed in-concert performance of Beethoven's Quartet Op.59 no.3 (the third Razumovsky). With the symphonies and piano sonatas I like best whichever I'm in the mood for at any given moment. With the string quartets, while I love them all, I've been particularly partial to Op.59 No.3 since first hearing it in mid-to-late 1970s. It's not one of Beethoven's most profound or groundbreaking works, but strikes all the right chords for me. I return to it time and time again. The Jasper performance linked above has become my preferred rendition, nuanced yet suitably extrovert as needed. I'm particularly taken by rather cello-centric slow second movement. The Jasper's cellist plays it for all it's worth. That she is a ravishingly lovely young lady ices the cake. wink.gif

When first discovering this thread I was disappointed to find no discussion the work for which it is named. To remedy that I link the final minutes of Gustave Mahler's second symphony (The Resurrection). This is another of my favorite musical utterances, heard in a favorite rendition.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 30 2015, 10:28 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 30 2015, 08:36 AM
Post #3584

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Many thanks to Decrepit for finally bringing some class into this thread cool.gif

What´s your take on Figaro´s Wedding, btw? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 4 2015, 05:15 AM
Post #3585

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 30 2015, 01:36 AM) *

What´s your take on Figaro´s Wedding, btw? biggrin.gif

I like it right well. I own it on DVD in the Jean-Pierre Ponnelle filmed performance. Stellar cast. Solidly traditional sets and costumes. (I deplore the current practice of updating older operas to modern times, though I'm all for innovation when used to better depict the creator's vision.) My favorite Mozart operas are The Magic Flute and Don Giovanni. Marriage isn't far below those in my esteem. I also enjoy the other opera based on those same characters, Rossini's Barber of Seville.

As to recent listing, it has again been Beethoven sonata centric. Highlights included Brautigam's Hammerklavier, which I became so mesmerized with I could not force myself off the sofa and was 40min late preparing lunch. Another highlight, Brautigam's rendition of Op.10 No.3, which I heard immediately after tonight's supper.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 4 2015, 05:21 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 9 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #3586

Master
Group Icon

Recent listen has been, as per my recent norm, Beethoven piano sonata centric. No sense detailing all I heard. I will mention that part way through The Tempest (sonata Op.31 No.2) my SACD began mistracking badly. Examining the disk's surface reveals no obvious faults. Not sure what's up, but it can't bode well for the old sarge.

Either yesterday or the day before I developed a strong craving for Tchaikovsky's sixth symphony, the so-called Pathetique. I own several fine interpretations on disk, but wanted something new to me. At YouTube I found a filmed concert performance by the Seoul Philharmonic (Orchestra) under Chung Myung-Whun. It fit the bill perfectly. Here are the final two movements from that performance, the exhilarating allegro molto vivace (a march) and the slow, heart rending adagio lamentoso.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 9 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #3587

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Even though I normally don´t listen to classical music I do have an appreciation for a big symphony orchestra. It´s really impressive when you think about it, I mean it´s not just six or seven people coordinating their instruments. It´s an army!

Of course I have an entirely new appreciation for the big orchestra with their introduction to movies and games. Just the intro to Oblivion is awesome! And man, when I saw that youtube video where they played the Morrowind theme, I almost stood up and applauded them myself! happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 14 2015, 12:22 AM
Post #3588

Ancient
Group Icon

Listening to one of my favorite Counting Crows songs - Four Days

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 14 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #3589

Master
Group Icon

I've not done a heck of a all of listening lately. Saturday, I believe it was, I listened to a CD of Ronald Brautigam play Mozart's final four piano sonatas on fortepiano. While I enjoy Mozart's piano sonatas, and find gems amongst them, they just don't speak to me the way most of Beethoven's do.

One of those gems is, for me, the final movement of sonata No.11 in A major, KV331, the well known 'rondo alla turca', which is not on the disk I heard. Here it is played on a modern grand piano in what I consider a more-or-less common interpretation.

Here it is again, in what is now my favorite interpretation, played by a young lady on fortepiano. Liberty is taken with tempo and embellishments to give the work a more exotic 'eastern' feel, which I find highly appropriate in that 'rondo alla turca' translates as Turkish Rondo. (The movement is also referred to as Turkish March.) What's more, this particular fortepiano has a built-in Janissary (percussion) stop, all the rage back in the day, which the performer makes full use of!!!!

Also listened to was a recording I return to time and time again, Nathalie Stutzmann performing Schubert's lied (song) 'Death and the Maiden'. First time I heard her hit the final vocal note it floored me.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 14 2015, 07:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 17 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #3590

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Something less refined than Decrepit´s contributions... biggrin.gif

La Cream: You and Say Goodbye

"Say Goodbye" was filmed at the famous ice hotel in Jukkasjärvi and according to the singer, she basically froze her butt off filming the video. One can nothing but understand that... tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 18 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #3591

Master
Group Icon

Not a lot of listening on my end, or rather not much worth mentioning. Yesterday I listened for the umpteenth time to disk three of Brautigam's Beethoven piano sonata SACD set, which begins with the Pathetique and ends with No.11 Opus 22. I mention my enthusiasm for Op.22 in an earlier post. No sense regurgitating it here.

At YouTube I heard yet again what I consider one of the best Schumann fourth symphony interpretations on record, the 1953 Berlin Philharmonic / Wilhelm Furtwangler studio recording. Furtwangler's handling of the transition passage between movements three and four has in my opinion few near equals and no betters. Here is the performance starting fairly far into movement three so that one can experience the transition and on to the end of the work. Sound quality isn't the best but not bad for the source material's age.

An interpretation new to me, the Orchestre de Paris under Christof Eschenbach performing Mahler's third symphony. The third and I go way back. I've four renditions of it on CD, one on LP, one on DVD (a disappointment), and heard it performed live by the LA Philharmonic during the 70s or early 80s. As to what I heard this morning, I quite enjoyed it. Here are its final eightish minutes, beginning with the quiet passage leading up to the soft brass-dominated chorale.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 18 2015, 02:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 20 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #3592

Master
Group Icon

On the 18th of December, after posting that day's thread contribution, it came to me that I had totally forgotten to honor Beethoven's birthday two days prior. To remedy that I searched YouTube for the recording of B's 'Eroica' Symphony which served as the music-track for a BBC film depicting, with much artistic license, that work's first airing. I'm particularly keen on this performance, the more so as the musician play 'period' instruments, the instruments of Beethoven's day or reproductions thereof. Of all the Beethoven's symphonies, I feel the Eroica benefits most from the sound of a top-notch period instrument ensemble. Horns play a key role in the Eroica. It seems to me that Beethoven wrote for them with the sound of valveless instruments in mind, a sound that often comes across as overly refined on modern horns rather than appropriately brazen. That's my take in any case. Others can and do disagree.

Here is the final five minutes of that interpretation, beginning at the wind dominated quiet Poco Andante and on through the Presto to the end. (Being a music track, the orchestra occasionally seen on film is not actually performing, though many of the musicians belong to the group who recorded the track.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 24 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #3593

Councilor
Group Icon

Meatloaf- Bat Out of Hell.

What? It's part of a rock compilation. Don't give me that look laugh.gif

Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Dec 24 2015, 09:51 PM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 24 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #3594

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Dec 24 2015, 03:49 PM) *

Meatloaf- Bat Out of Hell.

What? It's part of a rock compilation. Don't give me that look laugh.gif

Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water

Now you're talking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGMCSCFoKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS0UDi1kD3Q

And have to have some Ozzie too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0siYUjV9UM

** By the way, am I the only one that thinks the "Bat Out of Hell" album videos were all shot in a Crowswood (ESO) timewarp?

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 24 2015, 10:16 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 24 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #3595

Councilor
Group Icon

Aargh! I can't check out the vids. I'm cutting it pretty close to the datacap this month. I'm down to like 600Mb until the 27th. I'll check them out then, I promise.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 24 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #3596

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Dec 24 2015, 04:16 PM) *

Aargh! I can't check out the vids. I'm cutting it pretty close to the datacap this month. I'm down to like 600Mb until the 27th. I'll check them out then, I promise.

The first two are Meatloaf = "Bat Out of Hell" and "Won't Do That." The third one is Ozzie - "Mama I'm Coming Home."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 24 2015, 10:30 PM
Post #3597

Councilor
Group Icon

I’m listening to my son sing along to hammered dulcimer Christmas music on the stereo while he plays Fallout 4 with the sound turned all the way down. laugh.gif wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 26 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #3598

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm listening to a cd that I got for christmas: Wardruna- Gap Var Ginnnga

It's awesome.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 29 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #3599

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Weird Al time!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Don´t wanna be a Canadian idiot
Tacky
Sir Isaac Newton vs Bill Nye (featuring astrophysics black guy! laugh.gif )
Word crimes

Bouns song: Ebay parody! I sort of recognize myself here... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 29 2015, 09:53 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jan 1 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #3600

Councilor
Group Icon

DragonForce: Three Hammers

--------------------
+Quote Post

229 Pages V « < 178 179 180 181 182 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:40 PM