4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First or Third person?
Lena Wolf
post May 23 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm with Pseron - 3rd person only, except where 1st person is required (ever tried to get a Welkynd stone off a high perch with telekinesis in 3rd person? Don't). I am not actually Lena Wolf (surprise!), and she does not feature in every game. So it's me and my character - I'm a voice in her or his head, and like Dagail they need their sire's amulet, but alas - it's gone. Ouch.

Oh, and I never played any of those kinds of board games that you mentioned, but back in school we used to role play favourite books - like a real time theatre. Much more fun than homework. wink.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ikonomov
post May 24 2021, 05:35 AM
Post #22

Associate

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ May 23 2021, 08:54 PM) *

I play exclusively in third-person (except for Oblivion, which regularly forces me into 1st person against my will). I don't even purchase first person games anymore. The last one I bought was Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in 2004.

When I roleplay, I am never my character. So I do not want to see the world through my character's eyes. My character and I form and adventuring party of two. I'm just along for the ride on their adventures. I make suggestions ("Say, why don't we explore that dungeon over there?") and my character automatically rejects them ("No, I want to go to the nearest town to sell off my loot before I become over-encumbered.")

I have never played a tabletop game. My introduction to roleplaying was the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, ect) and those were all third-person games. So I guess I learned early to think of roleplaying as something that happened in third-person.

I've also never played tabletop DnD and my intro to roleplaying was also Baldur's Gate 2, Shadows of Amn. I still play BG saga, in fact contemplating doing another custom party playthrough. I've played around 15 full playthroughs of the whole saga. LOL You've ever played BG1, or just Shadows of Amn?

Another game I've played to death is Diablo 1, I've played it way longer than I should have and way after it was released. XD I've played other RPGs as well, although not as much. I've always pictured myself as the character I'm playing, even in 3rd person. All of them are in 3rd person, but interesting enough I've always preferred Skyrim in 1st person. When I first started playing it I used to switch between them, but since I use bow for sneak shots a lot I think that has been one of the main driving factors to adopt playing Skyrim in 1st person exclusively. After a while it really grew on me and I've come to really appreciate the immersion as being the person in the game. I think at this point it has become my favorite format, an RPG in 1st person in a fantasy setting like Skyrim.

This post has been edited by ikonomov: May 24 2021, 05:36 AM
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 24 2021, 01:19 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

Nobody so far subscribes to my silly theory in post 1. laugh.gif Oh well.

Thanks for your input everyone, these are fun to read. There should be a poll. unsure.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 24 2021, 03:40 PM
Post #24

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ May 24 2021, 02:19 PM) *

There should be a poll. unsure.gif

*Hrrm*

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 27 2020, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 27 2020, 01:20 PM) *

Should have added a poll, Renee! wink.gif

I couldn't figure out how to add one, which is odd since I just added a poll to the thread I started earlier this summer.

Thing is, there are (what?) less than 20 of us posting here at Chorrol. Do we really need a poll? laugh.gif

My case, I rest biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post May 24 2021, 04:28 PM
Post #25

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(ikonomov @ May 23 2021, 09:35 PM) *

You've ever played BG1, or just Shadows of Amn?

I played both. I prefer Shadows of Amn though. Actually, the D&D game I have played the most is the original Neverwinter Nights ,from 2002. I played the heck out of that game.

QUOTE(Renee @ May 24 2021, 05:19 AM) *

Nobody so far subscribes to my silly theory in post 1.

The reason I mentioned those games is because I imagine they are similar experiences to tabletop gaming, in terms of point-of-view. In both cases we are watching events from above, in third-person. Watching my party move around in those old Bioware games must have been similar to you watching real-life players move their figurines around on a tabletop. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: May 24 2021, 04:31 PM
+Quote Post
ikonomov
post May 24 2021, 05:47 PM
Post #26

Associate

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ May 24 2021, 04:28 PM) *

I played both. I prefer Shadows of Amn though. Actually, the D&D game I have played the most is the original Neverwinter Nights ,from 2002. I played the heck out of that game.

Yep, BG2:SoA has obvious improvements to BG1. I've played a ton of the 1st Neverwinter Nights as well biggrin.gif Once all the DLCs came out it really became a nice game. I kind of wish I played it after all major DLC came out as the initial release really felt way short of the expectations we had at the time being named as a "successor" to BG2 by Bioware.
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 24 2021, 06:24 PM
Post #27

Evoker

Hello everyone😁,
Ah wonderful....My first posty.
For me it simply has to be third person. I admit there are brief moments we switch to first...seconds really...to pick up something tricky or amongst clutter, but only if we really must.

Why MUST it be third. Well, in a sense...I AM the character and looking out through my screen or ‘likeness’ eyes simply reverts to my human other half being in the game instead of me. This diminishes our bond. It is like....The ventriloquist wants to see the dummy...not be in it hmmm.
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post May 24 2021, 06:31 PM
Post #28

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Adella @ May 24 2021, 10:24 AM) *

My first posty.

Welcome, Adella!! salute.gif
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 24 2021, 07:23 PM
Post #29

Evoker

Thank you for the welcome sweetie...Oh gosh, so many places to be, so little time <Chuckles>. I look forward to some story writing here...I hope they don’t mind oodles of blood 😈.

Glad you still have your film noir avatar piccy...👍

Talking of which I must get this avatar pic thingy to work...
Later
Adella😁
+Quote Post
macole
post May 24 2021, 08:24 PM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Adella @ May 24 2021, 01:23 PM) *

Thank you for the welcome sweetie...Oh gosh, so many places to be, so little time <Chuckles>. I look forward to some story writing here...I hope they don’t mind oodles of blood 😈.
Adella😁

Depends on the color, of course.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 24 2021, 10:48 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

Welcome here, Adella, glad you made it over.

I want to give Adella a Fishy Stick but I ran out today. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 24 2021, 11:28 PM
Post #32

Evoker

Thank you Renee, and more especially for sponsoring my entry too.😁

Um’ I LOVE Fishy Sticks....please as soon as you procure more, keep me in mind....Yum!

A.🤗
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 25 2021, 02:37 AM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ May 23 2021, 03:54 PM) *

I play exclusively in third-person (except for Oblivion, which regularly forces me into 1st person against my will). I don't even purchase first person games anymore. The last one I bought was Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in 2004.

When I roleplay, I am never my character. So I do not want to see the world through my character's eyes. My character and I form and adventuring party of two. I'm just along for the ride on their adventures. I make suggestions ("Say, why don't we explore that dungeon over there?") and my character automatically rejects them ("No, I want to go to the nearest town to sell off my loot before I become over-encumbered.")

I have never played a tabletop game. My introduction to roleplaying was the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, ect) and those were all third-person games. So I guess I learned early to think of roleplaying as something that happened in third-person.

Pseron! You made it to Chorrol! Welcome! (EDIT: You have had an account here for a long time already? Huh, I don't remember ever seeing that. Don't remember any of your posts. Ah, well, it's kind of like you are new if you haven't been active in a long time, right? Welcome anyway!)

Since you bring up Oblivion specifically: I have been replaying Oblivion with mods and having a grand ol' time. But for the love of Talos, the third-person camera is awful, especially in combat. I don't remember being so bad. I remembered not liking Morrowind's third-person camera, but while I was replaying that a month or so ago, it was way better than I remembered. How that camera angle could regress so badly from Morrowind to Oblivion is beyond me. I'll sometimes change it in Oblivion when I am not in a fight, but it's disappointing to have to switch back.

That being said, I enjoy third-person greatly more when the camera works well. While I don't obsess over every detail of the character like some other players here, I still spent the time to make my character. I want to actually see them in action. It gets me more into the play. Not the first person greatly hinders the enjoyment, but I still prefer third person by far.

QUOTE(Adella @ May 24 2021, 01:24 PM) *

Hello everyone😁,
Ah wonderful....My first posty.
For me it simply has to be third person. I admit there are brief moments we switch to first...seconds really...to pick up something tricky or amongst clutter, but only if we really must.

Why MUST it be third. Well, in a sense...I AM the character and looking out through my screen or ‘likeness’ eyes simply reverts to my human other half being in the game instead of me. This diminishes our bond. It is like....The ventriloquist wants to see the dummy...not be in it hmmm.

Welcome aboard! There is also an official Introduce Yourself thread in the General Discussion subforum if you want to drop a message there. Oops, looks like you posted one there already.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: May 25 2021, 02:45 AM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
ikonomov
post May 25 2021, 03:18 AM
Post #34

Associate

QUOTE(Adella @ May 24 2021, 07:23 PM) *

Talking of which I must get this avatar pic thingy to work...

Heya smile.gif I uploaded mine on imgur, you have to resize it to 90x90 pixels first.
+Quote Post
Infa Red
post May 25 2021, 04:35 AM
Post #35

Retainer

QUOTE(Renee @ May 24 2021, 05:19 AM) *

Nobody so far subscribes to my silly theory in post 1. laugh.gif

Well I liked the theory though. It is a really good read. And its also so logical that I want to believe it. Its just due to the result testing we've shared with our own life experiences, its seems to not be 100% true. Not saying I am not subscribing to it. I am subscribed to the thread at least !! Give me some credit there. HAHA biggrin.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE(Renee @ May 24 2021, 02:48 PM) *

I want to give Adella a Fishy Stick but I ran out today. smile.gif

I think I ate the last one. Being such a newb.

QUOTE(ikonomov @ May 24 2021, 07:18 PM) *

you have to resize it to 90x90 pixels first.

Actually you can do the resizing as you type in the URL in the Avatar setting place here. Right below the URL box there is 2 little boxes, if the image you are linking is more than 90x90, then just type in 90 in both them boxes. No need to do it first.

--------------------
What's a matter? Can't stand the site of a strong Nord woman?
No, it's that I can't stand the smell of a strong Nord woman!
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 25 2021, 07:10 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Infa Red @ May 24 2021, 11:35 PM) *

I think I ate the last one. Being such a newb.

Yikes, we're supposed to eat those things? laugh.gif

Kidding. And Adella, I have a Fishy Stick for you now. *CLICK* -- Good thing I work in a supermarket. biggrin.gif

@PseronWyrd (oopes... we're not a Bethsoft anymore) yes, Baldur's Gate is a good comparison to table-gaming, that is true. Gosh, if I had known about BG in the '90s I might have begun gaming as an adult earlier. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Infa Red
post May 25 2021, 07:53 PM
Post #37

Retainer

QUOTE(Renee @ May 25 2021, 11:10 AM) *

Yikes, we're supposed to eat those things? laugh.gif

Well, yes, you can optionally cook them first. As they are given out cold. If cold fish is your thing, then cool. You optionally can eat them with Fishy Sauce too.. just be careful to not get the sauce all over your scroll pages or you're screwed.

And finally, you can even *do* the fishy stick if you choose... (no not that, get your mind out the gutter !!! my god).... Its a dance. And its a delicate state of mind !

panic.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 25 2021, 08:24 PM
Post #38

Evoker

Thanks Renee.....Yum! We call them fish fingers here. I am glad the ages old forum tradition continues on👍

Ikon...Nope...No luck with the avatar thing. I copied a link from a pic in my ‘One Drive’ pasted it into the box and added 90 and 90 in the boxes below. Still getting the ‘something went wrong’ message idkw. It hates me 😢
+Quote Post
Infa Red
post May 25 2021, 08:35 PM
Post #39

Retainer

QUOTE(Adella @ May 25 2021, 12:24 PM) *

No luck with the avatar thing. I copied a link from a pic in my ‘One Drive’ pasted it into the box and added 90 and 90 in the boxes below. Still getting the ‘something went wrong’ message idkw. It hates me 😢

Dang, this sucks sad.gif

Just for kicks and giggles, try this. Try to host the avatar image(s) you want to link to here on another place. Start a free account at say Imgur that free image hosting site. (or something of the likes) and then upload your desired images there, get the "direct links" and then try that.

Its possible your One Drive thing is just not linking compatible with here. Also make sure to use the "Direct Link" option link. Not any of the others.

I only suggest Imgur, due to the fact that's what I did and it works. and its free.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post May 25 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #40

Mouth
Group Icon

I had the same problem - I even asked that same question in its own thread a few days ago... Imgur.com worked, but I very much object to entering my phone number with them.

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:42 AM