Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

117 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Here Is The News..", The Elder Scrolls Online General Discussion Thread...
ImperialSnob
post Aug 25 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Aug 25 2013, 04:23 PM) *

Oh well, that'll be that done for then... sad.gif ...

Will. Not. Pay. For. Stuff...Cannot afford £500 a year for all the family to be able to play...Which is what it'll end up as...

Well, won't pay for stuff barring DLCs for existing games of course... biggrin.gif ...

Just wait,I'll be suprised if it lasts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 25 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

Well servers are not cheap, nor the data centers that host them, or the admins that maintain them. Zenimax/Bethesda is going to need some way to generate the money to continue offering the service. So that is either going to be a monthly subscription, micro-transactions where you have to buy all the good things in the game with real world money, or a crap version of the game that is only free for the first x levels in one or two zones, then you have to pay a subscription to get higher level/get to the cool places. One way or another, you are going to have to pay.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 25 2013, 08:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 25 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

And yet, those ones that are doing that Destiny thing are insisting that it's going to be free forever...Having used the money from Halo to pay, in advance, for all the servers...

Therefore Bethesda could easily divert some of the profits from Skyrim into paying for the servers etc and you'll make far more money from the sales of the ESO game overall...From people who will just run to the game as it's free...Plus any from the undoubted DLC packs and, as you say, any micro-transactions...

Why no one realises that if you charge less in the first place, you'll make more money in the end...as more people can afford to buy a cheaper thing...*Shrug*...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Aug 25 2013, 09:13 PM
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Aug 25 2013, 09:17 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Aug 25 2013, 09:11 PM) *

And yet, those ones that are doing that Destiny thing are insisting that it's going to be free forever...Having used the money from Halo to pay, in advance, for all the servers...

Therefore Bethesda could easily divert some of the profits from Skyrim into paying for the servers etc and you'll make far more money from the sales of the ESO game overall...From people who will just run to the game as it's free...Plus any from the undoubted DLC packs and, as you say, any micro-transactions...

Why no one realises that if you charge less in the first place, you'll make more money in the end...as more people can afford to buy a cheaper thing...*Shrug*...

Well,they do intend on going for as long as WoW probaly,which is 8 years.

Alot of people buying a cheap box price isn't gonna keep servers up for 8 or so years,but sub fees will.

Also Skyrim money,is Beths money,I don't think they want to give it to Zenimax,even if they did they probaly STILL couldn't afford to keep servers up for a long time.

This post has been edited by ImperialSnob: Aug 25 2013, 09:17 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 25 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Aug 25 2013, 04:11 PM) *

All I have seen is that Bungie said it won't be a monthly subscription fee. So that means micro transactions or some other way to get money out of players. Using the earnings from Halo is not going to keep them afloat. It will give them operating capital to start with, but it won't keep them going forever. That is just robbing Peter to pay Paul. It gets you bankrupt in the end.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 26 2013, 04:55 AM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

Bungie - Thank you Subrosa - said the story will play out over 10 years...

And I maintain that the server time is already booked, paid for and any fluctuations accounted for...

I'm pretty sure all this has been in the various x-box/Playstation mags over the last few months...

Yes, SR you are right...It's all about the microtransaction and paid-for extra content...But they also say that anyone will be able to do well enough without if they wish...

I agree about the robbing Peter thing, but, if the money's already gone, and it was all already free profit sort of thing, then any money they get from Destiny is (when the development costs and wages etc is done) profit...And if they're right about how FPS people are likely to react when they get into the game...It sounds like easy money...

Hell, I don't do FPS really...Well, not Halo, CoW etc...Does Fallout count?...Anyways, even I'm wondering about it...

Alot of people buying a cheap box price isn't gonna keep servers up for 8 or so years,but sub fees will.

I'm not talking about charging virtually nothing for it...

But at the mo they're talking £55 for it brand new...Dunno what that is in dollars...Probably $60-$70...Now I don't know about you or your parents Impy, but £55 is a hell of a lot for me to shell out for a game that I may get bored of...And I work many many hours for reasonable money...

However...£35-£40 is within the realms of "Hell yeah!" and have it sit on the side without too much grief from the wife... biggrin.gif ...

So when the ESO people say they're going to charge for it...It's hugely disappointing...Yes, 20 levels free and then pay may be the way it goes...

But charging £15 (which it will be in the UK...None of this exchange-rate mullarky...) likely per person, per month...There's no way we can afford that for four of us...We'd have to be on it all the time...All day...in order to justify that sort of money...Which we won't anyways...

And it's not worth starting it in the first place if we're going to have to give up eventually...It's not worth the money at - more than likely - £55...

So that's one game sale from me down...How many others would have bought the game, just to try it, if there'd been no hint of subscriptions?...Microtransactions don't bother me...I did enough on the ACIII multiplayer...So I'd do so again...I'd even buy the kids and the wife a PSN card to get some stuff if they wished...But a constant £60 a month, just to play...Nah...

Oh, and Elder Scrolls is Bethesda's baby isn't it?...Zenimax may have made (and will run) the game, but it'll still be Bethesda's profits...Zenimax just built the damned thing...All I'm saying is that Bethesda could do more to make more and all that, in the long term...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Aug 26 2013, 04:59 AM
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Aug 26 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

Even 55 pounds per box copy wouldn't be enough to run the Mega-Servers for 8 years.

They have to use some money to create new content,hire voice actors,hire coders,hire artists.

MMOs are THE most expensive games you can make and are just as,if not more,expensive to maintain for long periods of time.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 26 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Aug 26 2013, 11:03 AM) *

Even 55 pounds per box copy wouldn't be enough to run the Mega-Servers for 8 years.

They have to use some money to create new content,hire voice actors,hire coders,hire artists.

MMOs are THE most expensive games you can make and are just as,if not more,expensive to maintain for long periods of time.

Yes, I know how business works... biggrin.gif ...

And therefore...If there's the slightest chance you can't make it work...Then you shouldn't...

From what I hear, paid-for MMOs are hemorrhaging users...It is unsustainable...

Make it all free to play, and even the most casual of users may pick it up cheap from a shop...

Business people are just getting too greedy these days and it can't be done...They have to start thinking differently and not rely on the old model of charging more money to make it from less people...
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 27 2013, 11:29 AM
Post #29

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Aug 26 2013, 12:34 PM) *

Make it all free to play, and even the most casual of users may pick it up cheap from a shop...

Business people are just getting too greedy these days and it can't be done...They have to start thinking differently and not rely on the old model of charging more money to make it from less people...

Word smile.gif

While I do know that everything that needs to be maintained has a prize, I´d also like to know where the line goes between enough to keep maintaining while making a decent profit, and just blind greed. A lower prize in the store attracts more players, that can´t be argued. What they can do to keep bringing in cash from the same players is having them pay for both minor and major upgrades and perhaps higher levels, much the same as when you buy a DLC. (Of course the game should be 100% playable without those upgrades and levels.)

Idk... What I do know though is that when the TESO box hits the store, I´ll be there with my collector´s gloves biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Oct 30 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

I can't explain how excited I am now. Finally, after so long, we finally get some information on werewolves.

Yes, I am definitely buying it once it comes out.

"The werewolf’s model and combat animations need to convey a sense of unrestrained savagery. Werewolves use their incredible strength to leap through the air towards their unfortunate targets; they devour them with fervor. They often hunt in packs, destroying everything they can hunt down. We used references like video of hyenas gorging on a zebra to get the feel just right, adding touches like bloodstains on the muzzle after a good feast.

In the game, you’ll find that the abilities in the werewolf skill line work together, allowing you to take advantage of interactions that amplify the thrill of the hunt, making you a more efficient killer and even extending your blood frenzy. All of the abilities put you in the role of the hunter—always in control and right on the heels of your prey."

IPB Image

--------------------
And yet I am, and liveā€”like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass belowā€”above the vaulted sky.ā€¯
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Oct 31 2013, 01:03 AM
Post #31

Mouth
Group Icon

I WANT WEREBEARS AND WERELIONS AN' STUFF! panic.gif Also: Edge?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 29 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

You heard it here folks.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games?...=Tx5AIH8V0N7E9Y

http://i.imgur.com/VXno9hg.jpg?1

--------------------
+Quote Post
Vital
post Jan 29 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm not gonna play the game, but I could seriously buy that...

The molag bal statuette and full map of tamriel... *Drools*

This post has been edited by Vital: Jan 29 2014, 01:57 PM

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 29 2014, 05:19 PM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

New cinematic trailer is here. Am I the only one excited? I think I am.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 29 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

New info: We can now choose any race and join any of the three factions. If you preordet.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 29 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #36

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Jan 29 2014, 12:57 PM) *

Oh, I will so get that! cool.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jan 30 2014, 01:00 AM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

Interesting, I may be preordering soon...

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 1 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #38

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 29 2014, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Jan 29 2014, 12:57 PM) *

Oh, I will so get that! cool.gif

Actually I´m having second thoughts now. What does the regular version contain?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 1 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Interesting, when you pre-order the game, not only can you play as an Imperial in any of the alliances, but you can play any race in any of the alliances as well.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 5 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Well, got a beta key. So I'll be seeing what's up soon. Of course, as soon as I sign the nda-agreement I can't say anything anymore. Which would be right about....now.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post

117 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:52 AM