Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

117 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Here Is The News..", The Elder Scrolls Online General Discussion Thread...
Taillus
post Feb 9 2014, 03:26 PM
Post #41

Knower
Group Icon

I think the NDA has been lifted as of Friday. My username isn't plastered all over my screen and videos aren't being stripped from YouTube... so I would say everyone can talk away.

--------------------
“Worry not, young Breton. This will be over very quickly but I wish I could say that it would be painless. You will suffer greatly before you join the countless other souls that fuel my power.” - Taillus
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 15 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Taillus @ Feb 9 2014, 08:26 AM) *

I think the NDA has been lifted as of Friday. My username isn't plastered all over my screen and videos aren't being stripped from YouTube... so I would say everyone can talk away.

NDA is officially lifted now.

Lots of stuff here for the curious: http://esohead.com/

Those that played the beta, what did you think? I enjoyed it, but... they have a lot of work to do. Lots of bugged quests.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Feb 15 2014, 04:40 PM

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 17 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

It was...not my cup of thea. Apart from the occasional lockup when exiting dialogue, I didn't notice any real bugs though that one was annoying enough.

I do have to give the game credit for trying. Trying to be a mixture between a single player ES game ala Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, and a more traditional mmo in the vein of you name it. (I was gonna say World of Warcraft but given that I haven't played even a second of it I'm not going to risk being wrong.)
That said, trying is the key word. I honestly think they should have picked one or the other. The combat system for example tries to be the one we've gotten used to since Oblivion. Moving, block beats regular attack beats power attack beats block. But there are three critical flaws in the online version's attempt.

The first of these is the lack of collision-boxes. Players, Npcs and generic respawning critters can all run right through each other. This makes judging distance much harder than I'm used to and I ended up just standing still so the AI wouldn't freak out and we could proceed to slap each other in the face without having an odd merging accident.

The second problem is latency. Even the slightest bit will end up making power attacks or blocks not connect or a dodge fail to trigger. Finally, the third is impact. Because the game has to deal with the aforementioned lack of collision boxes and latency, you don't get the satisfying recoil feel when an attack interacts with a block. There is a third factor to this as well. In the single-player games the AI only had to focus on one enemy, you. But now there could be half a dozen players jumping around and attacking the same target. Who should it aim its animations at? Sure, TES games aren't known for their animation quality, but they do manage to give a nice feel of first-person combat. ESO doesn't. At least not for me.

One animation pro I have to give for it is jumping and landing. This game has the best I've seen in the series by far.

But back to the bad stuff because I am a horribly depressing pessimist. As an mmo you can expect to be surrounded by dozens of other players. I know that. And I admit that everyone, at least as far as I got, fit into the world much better than in some mmos I've tried. Visually speaking I mean. Players look just like Npcs. Which can be a bit of a problem at times, but I like it. The bad part is that the game isn't designed to take the masses of wannabe heroes into account. Gotta sneak into an office to get some dirt on someone? Expect four more players to be jumping over the bed. Gotta go into this temple and fight a boss? Find out that said boss is well and truly contained by half a dozen elven women and the quest completes before you can lift a finger or get your bearings. Sure, the bad guy respawns three times before you can walk out of the door, but mob of fellow heroes saves the day again and again.

That was more immersion breaking than I'd thought it would be.

And finally I'll give my verdict. Worth the box price and the sub on top of that? No, not if you ask me. One or the other and I might consider it. Heck know I've had worse impulse buys. But both and at this rate? Nopes.

The worst criticism I can give to it isn't the off-feeling combat mechanics or the hyperactive mob, but sheer tedium. At the end of the beta weekend I had not even finished the first tutorial island (after the escape from the underworld), and I was bored out of my skull. I couldn't find anything to do but run from point a to point b and the insane respawn rates and density of hostiles that come with an mmo meant that my usual tourist-sightseeing kept being interupted. I tried crafting at the end of the weekend and despite having grabbed every thing that wasn't nailed down and having kept them all in my inventory, I still didn't have enough for a nice shirt or pants.

It's an mmo I guess. The only way to enjoy it is with friends to talk and joke with while you run around.

PS: And despite my overly negative judgement, that Imperial edition is still winking at me. I love my artbooks and want to see Hammerfell badly. That impulse buy might still be coming.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 17 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

This makes judging distance much harder than I'm used to and I ended up just standing still so the AI wouldn't freak out and we could proceed to slap each other in the face without having an odd merging accident.

Interesting, I did not have very much trouble with that actually, the whole thing with collision boxes.

The second problem is latency. Even the slightest bit will end up making power attacks or blocks not connect or a dodge fail to trigger. Finally, the third is impact. Because the game has to deal with the aforementioned lack of collision boxes and latency, you don't get the satisfying recoil feel when an attack interacts with a block. There is a third factor to this as well. In the single-player games the AI only had to focus on one enemy, you. But now there could be half a dozen players jumping around and attacking the same target. Who should it aim its animations at? Sure, TES games aren't known for their animation quality, but they do manage to give a nice feel of first-person combat. ESO doesn't. At least not for me.

I do agree here with latency. I did like the more active combat than other MMOs offer, but there is that issue with latency. I personally did not experience too much during the beta, and when I did I was usually running around.

I know what you are talking about with the attacks too. For me it came and went actually. Sometimes it had that “solid feel” and others it did not. The abilities never had that feeling though, probably because they are key triggered and less active.

One animation pro I have to give for it is jumping and landing. This game has the best I've seen in the series by far.

Agreed. Animations were for the most part, good.

But back to the bad stuff because I am a horribly depressing pessimist. As an mmo you can expect to be surrounded by dozens of other players. I know that. And I admit that everyone, at least as far as I got, fit into the world much better than in some mmos I've tried. Visually speaking I mean. Players look just like Npcs. Which can be a bit of a problem at times, but I like it. The bad part is that the game isn't designed to take the masses of wannabe heroes into account. Gotta sneak into an office to get some dirt on someone? Expect four more players to be jumping over the bed. Gotta go into this temple and fight a boss? Find out that said boss is well and truly contained by half a dozen elven women and the quest completes before you can lift a finger or get your bearings. Sure, the bad guy respawns three times before you can walk out of the door, but mob of fellow heroes saves the day again and again.

That was more immersion breaking than I'd thought it would be.

I was hugely distracted with the hordes of players running around as well, especially the ones that simply take the shortest distance from point A to point B. It would have been far better if people actually tried to look normal rather than just jumping off of cliffs, bridges, off of buildings, ect.

I already pre-ordered, so I will be playing it, but I will probably wait to really start playing after the first few weeks or so, just so that those quest objectives aren’t mobbed all the time.

The worst criticism I can give to it isn't the off-feeling combat mechanics or the hyperactive mob, but sheer tedium. At the end of the beta weekend I had not even finished the first tutorial island (after the escape from the underworld), and I was bored out of my skull. I couldn't find anything to do but run from point a to point b and the insane respawn rates and density of hostiles that come with an mmo meant that my usual tourist-sightseeing kept being interupted. I tried crafting at the end of the weekend and despite having grabbed every thing that wasn't nailed down and having kept them all in my inventory, I still didn't have enough for a nice shirt or pants.

It's an mmo I guess. The only way to enjoy it is with friends to talk and joke with while you run around.

I participated in a few betas, and you figure out how to pass through the beginning sections more quickly. The second area is far more interesting. I do admit though, it is not nearly as interesting to just explore in this game as it is in the single player games.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 27 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

ESRB gives us some insight on why ESO is rated M(thank goodness).

Bethesda announced in January that its upcoming subscription-based MMO The Elder Scrolls Online had received an M-for-Mature rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), a determination the company did not agree with--despite every other recent entry in the series being M-rated--but would not challenge.

Now, the ESRB product description for The Elder Scrolls Online has been published publicly, giving insight into why the game earned an M-rating. The ESRB's main content descriptors note that the game contains "Blood and Gore, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol, Violence."

But it's the ESRB's complete ratings summary that sheds a better light on the M-rating. As you can read in the below text, The Elder Scrolls Online features sexual innuendo in its dialogue ("In his mind, she would be the sheath to every knight's blade"), bloody depictions of severed heads, and drinking games that result in the character's blurred vision and impaired speech.

"This is a multiplayer online role-playing game in which players assume the role of a warrior in the fantastical world of Nirn. As players explore open-world environments, they can perform various quests and complete tasks. Characters use swords, arrows, axes, and magic attacks (e.g., lightning, fire attacks) to kill human-like and fantastical enemies (e.g., orcs, demons, giant insects). Players engage in melee-style combat, hacking and slashing at various enemies; battles are highlighted by cries of pain, impact sounds, and blood splashes. Some sequences depict large amounts of blood streaming up-close as vampires attack/feed on characters. In some quests players have the ability to mount creatures' severed heads onto pikes; some environments depict corpse piles or skeletons hanging from torture devices. Text descriptions or dialogue sometimes contain references to sexual material and/or innuendo (e.g., “She...raped the men as cruelly as Bal had ravished her”; “In his mind, she would be the sheath to every knight's blade”; “No sweetmeat for you”; But it is huge! It could take me all night!”). During the course of the game, alcohol (i.e., wine, mead, ale) can be purchased and consumed by the central character; one sequence prompts players to engage in a drinking contest, resulting in the central character's blurred vision/slurred speech."

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 27 2014, 11:22 PM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

And if ESO has skooma in it like the other ES games, you can add depictions of drug use as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 28 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

Anyone want a beta key for this weekend?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Mar 15 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Feb 27 2014, 08:44 PM) *

ESRB gives us some insight on why ESO is rated M(thank goodness).

Why thank goodness?

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 6 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #49

Spam Meister
Group Icon

For the first time I just saw an add for ESO when I clicked to watch a youtube video! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 6 2014, 10:36 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 12 2014, 02:27 AM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

Did they put spell creation in ESO? .. It's been my feeling that since the #1 complaint of Skyrim was lack of spell creation that in the next ES game we'd have this back.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 13 2014, 11:31 AM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey!!!...

So has anyone found out what the deal is with the subscription thing yet?...

Can you play any of it without one?...

Hrn....I keep reading reviews...I keep looking at the photos...And reading reviews...

dry.gif ...Bloody thing...
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 13 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Apr 11 2014, 08:27 PM) *

Did they put spell creation in ESO? .. It's been my feeling that since the #1 complaint of Skyrim was lack of spell creation that in the next ES game we'd have this back.

No it isnt. A lot of the spells are unlocked via perks now.

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 13 2014, 05:31 AM) *

Hey!!!...

So has anyone found out what the deal is with the subscription thing yet?...

Can you play any of it without one?...

Hrn....I keep reading reviews...I keep looking at the photos...And reading reviews...

dry.gif ...Bloody thing...

Nope. Need a subscription to play at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 13 2014, 09:46 PM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Apr 13 2014, 03:19 PM) *

Shame that...All the comments under the Youtube gameplay videos are pretty much saying the same thing, "This is not worth $15 a month"...

Agree or disagree?...

And can you still see yourself (-selves) paying up in X-number of months? Or even years?...
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 13 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #54

Spam Meister
Group Icon

If I were to jump aboard this bandwagon I have serious problems seeing myself playing it as long as I have played Oblivion. I mean, who even knows how long the servers will be up?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 13 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Apr 13 2014, 10:19 AM) *

So what is the pricing? Do you have to buy the game itself as well as pay a monthly subscription? Or is it at least free to download and you just pay every month to play? I know you have to pay for the Imperial Edition, and I have seen a horse that you can only get by buying with RL money.

Nevermind, I found it. $60 to buy the game either digitally or hard-copy for the regular version, plus $15 a month. So $180 a year just for the subscription. Ouch. Given that I paid the same $60 for Skyrim, and don't have to pay anything a month to play it. I guess MMOs are for rich people.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 13 2014, 10:22 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 14 2014, 01:12 AM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

It does seem like a lot of money, but I view it as 2 hours of work at minimum wage per month. kvleft.gif

I'm not sure how long I'll play. I guess as long as I am regularly logging in and having fun I'll keep paying the subscription.

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 14 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #57

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Apr 14 2014, 01:12 AM) *

It does seem like a lot of money, but I view it as 2 hours of work at minimum wage per month. kvleft.gif

I'm not sure how long I'll play. I guess as long as I am regularly logging in and having fun I'll keep paying the subscription.

Yeah, but multiply it by the four of us here, that adds up to a hell of a lot of money over the year...*Shrug*...Plus the way certain young teens here keep jumping from game to game, the subscription may simply go to waste...

Shame that...

EDIT!!!!...Just to put it in context...If I were to pay for all of us...And if it's Ł15 a month...That's all the "spare" money - my own personal "Allowance" as you say over there - I have over the month to pay for us...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Apr 14 2014, 12:59 PM
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 14 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, 4 subs would be a lot. Either they would have to pay their own, or share. You can have 8 characters per account.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 14 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #59

Paladin
Group Icon

I think Oblivion cost me around $45US in 2007 and I have been playing it every month since. That amortizes out to about. . . $0 cost per month for tons of enjoyment. Applying that time frame and thinking to a monthly subscription game yields a rather intimidating cost factor.

On the other hand, $15 per month for my primary entertainment hobby seems far from excessive. As a generally ‘monogamous’ and avid gamer, I would no doubt play my money’s worth. While I would never pay that much for my cel phone (which I carry around mostly for emergencies), I could deal with it for the place where Buffy and I get up every day and go to work.

Where I could see a real concern is for folks who like to have several games going at once and move among them. $15 per month for just one of many games in your stable could be a problem I figure. I can also see McB's concerns with a family that games - seems like that could be a problem if you wanted to play at the same time and/or with a family member in the same game.

Yet, I imagine it costs whoever hosts the game server and such money to maintain and keep things running nicely. Other ways of gaining revenue such as banner ads creeping across my game screen or paying real money for ‘extra’ gear, outfits, companions, etc seems horrible (to me) in comparison to simply paying a monthly fee.

I guess what I’m saying, is that if I tried ESO, fell for it and moved there as my primary game, the cost would not be a big problem. My two septims, anyway. Bear in mind, I’ve never played any game on line, much less an MMO. So what do I know?

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 14 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #60

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I just don´t "trust" MMOs. It feels like I´m gaming at somebody´s mercy and that they can pull the plug anytime they want. That´s how I feel about gaming online, regardless of fees.

But to all who feels otherwise; game on! wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

117 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:35 AM