8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's Talk About Characters
Grits
post Mar 19 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Ever since I saw the first character gen video I've had my heart set on a pot-bellied Argonian mage with blue feathers called He-Knows. Or maybe Picks-His-Nose. Either way he will have narrow shoulders, ample thighs, and a mead gut. I haven't read enough about classes and whatnot to predict anything else. tongue.gif

What are your ideas? What characters have you already made?

This post has been edited by Grits: Sep 15 2016, 11:37 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 19 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

How about Scratches-His-Privates for a name? Or Rubs-His-Butt wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Mar 19 2014, 10:51 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

Why not Polishes-His-Spear?

rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 19 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Itch-Under-His-Tail

Always-He-Scratches

--------------------
+Quote Post
Vital
post Mar 20 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Love the Argonian names laugh.gif

Well I will not be playing ESO, or certainly not for a long time, but ever since I saw the weight-slider for the character gen that actually affected fatness and not muscle-mass or boob size (I'm looking at you Skyrim) I have been inspired to make a plump, pompous Imperial noble wanna be adventurer.

He would be the plump and witless second son of a rich Imperial, possibly a count, driven by a lust for adventure and fame. He would be short and round, wielding a two-handed sword and wearing the most elaborate plate armour he could find. He would have absolutely no magical talent whatsoever and would also lack any crafting skills, despite being well-educated. He would also be hopeless in combat and run-away a lot.

Only two problems:
1. I can't imagine deliberately making a character who sucks at everything in an MMO with PvP etc.
2. Can you play as an Imperial????

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 20 2014, 11:49 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

biggrin.gif You can play an Imperial if you pre-purchase the Imperial edition. Also that gets you a pet crab, a white horse, a book that I want more than the game, and some other stuff.

I’ve watched some videos and so far creating the characters looks like the most fun. The game looks very… game-y. But it looks like my mage Sits-When-He-Pees (thanks, Jerric! tongue.gif ) should be a Sorcerer so he can summon that cute clannfear. Although it seemed that you can’t pick up weapons and staves and robes from dead NPCs? Maybe that’s an MMO thing or maybe the players I watched didn’t want that stuff. Who knows.

I might also just buy some colored pencils, draw my dinosaur mage, and then spent the rest of the money on a road trip.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 20 2014, 04:24 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Mar 20 2014, 06:49 AM) *

Although it seemed that you can’t pick up weapons and staves and robes from dead NPCs? Maybe that’s an MMO thing or maybe the players I watched didn’t want that stuff. Who knows.

It is like that in almost all non-ES games, especially Bioware games. Bethesda has spoiled us by allowing us to actually pick up the weapons and armor off the guy we just killed. In games like Dragon Age, you kill a guy wearing full plate armor and carrying a greatsword, and the only thing you can pick up from his body is 5 gold pieces. Nevermind that you can see the armor and sword laying right there!!!

Are there clutter items in ESO? Things like plates and cups and food laying around that you can pick up, move around, and arrange? Non-Bethesda games typically never have things like that as well.

QUOTE(Grits @ Mar 20 2014, 06:49 AM) *

I might also just buy some colored pencils, draw my dinosaur mage, and then spent the rest of the money on a road trip.

Old School gaming FTW! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 20 2014, 04:35 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 29 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

I’d love to hear about character building if anyone cares to share. I haven’t gotten very far reading on other forums before gagging on the terminology, but it seems that the Nightblade class is recommended for solo play? Turned into a Nightbow, perhaps. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 29 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

I am wondering if multi-classing is possible? I find the four classes to be very restrictive, being able to branch out into a second class would be helpful.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 29 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Paladin
Group Icon

Buffy needs bow, stealth and some magicks to compensate for no melee. From casually studying the build possibilities on paper I see a couple possibilities:

Bosmer of course for both RP and bow value.

Then I'm considering nightblade, which has plenty of stealth and what seems like illusion - but enough to avoid melee entirely?

The other class I'm considering is sorcerer. Probably conjuration to back up the bow. The concern here is that the Bosmer's stealth (without nightblade help) would be stealthy enough.

The nightblade gets some nice melee boosts that would be a total waste. The sorcerer's other boosts like utility magicks otoh would be helpful.

My gut says Bosmer sorceress to build my mystic archer but I'm not sure.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 29 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

I am in a similar boat with the two characters I would want to play most, Persephone and Teresa.

Persephone is first and foremost a melee fighter with a greatsword. So the Dragonknight seems most suitable, as that is the main melee tank class. But she also summons her undead Darryl friends. I could go Conjurer instead. She could still use a greatsword and fight in melee. She would just lose out on all the fighter-specific buffs, and thusly not be a very good fighter. Worse, I would be forced to summon Daedra. Persephone would never do that, she only summons undead, because she is undead. The Darryls are her old friends, literally. So Persephone is just unworkable as an ESO character. sad.gif

Teresa is in a similar boat. She could go Conjurer instead of a more combat/stealth oriented class. But again, Teresa does not summon Daedra. She summons animals. They are her friends. So she is unworkable as an ESO character. sad.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 29 2015, 06:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 29 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

I’d like to play Channah as a Nightblade. I saw some Redguard hair I like. It’s all about the hair. tongue.gif

I think that summoning would be important backup for the solo stealth character. Thankfully the clannfears are cute. I’m amazed that there’s no undead summoning. What the heck! Isn’t Mannimarco a big player in one of this game’s conflicts?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 29 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #13

Paladin
Group Icon

I will say I was happy and excited to hear you could summon clannfears. Luv them! happy.gif

That would be kind of my first (ignorant) cut at Buffy: Bosmeri archer with sorcerer class who conjures Spike the clannfear. My concern is would she be stealthy enough. I'd think (hope) so.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 30 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

It’s taking me forever to learn about character building. I think that Jerric is versatile enough that I could play him as anything with a ranged magic attack and a shield, but I wouldn’t bring him to ESO unless I knew he could really inhabit the world. I mean, the man needs to sleep. Funny how the oddest things can be the deal-breaker.

I also haven’t seen any talk about frost magic for players. Maybe that’s in a future expansion along with the missing player necromancy.

I think my chubby Saxhleel librarian will work as a Sorcerer. It seems that you really can play any race with any class, it’s just not discussed much due to the typical optimized/viable/PvP /min-max MMO player focus.

My first guess at Lil is Nightblade who doesn’t use blades and runs away a lot. laugh.gif She turns her back every time the ESO subject comes up, which is no surprise. It took her years to come to Skyrim. Illusion spells are the deal-breaker for her. Also I still don’t know how stealth works. Is it a skill tree that becomes available if you sneak, or are stealth skills tied to a class?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 30 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

I think the stealth skills are all exclusive to the Nightblade class. The Shadow skill. Looking at the skills, the only other sneaky thing I see is Legerdemain. Anyone can take those. It looks more like you get them as rewards for stealing and the like, rather than actually assigning ranks when you level up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 30 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

That’s a great link for skills, thank you!

There’s a Summon Shade ability in the Nightblade’s Shadow tree, which is the only non-Daedric, non-Sorcerer summoning I’ve found so far. Good news for Nightbows. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 30 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

One thing I do like about ESO is how the characters look. Bethesda seems to have a tradition of intentionally trying to make our characters ugly. In Oblivion the face textures were all blotchy, and your Redguard character inevitably wound up with green skin somewhere. In Skyrim everyone had a square checkerboard pattern on their face, not to mention the elves with the way out of whack proportions. Then with Dawnguard they decided that everyone's vampire character looked too good, and they made them all have buttcrack faces. Except of course for Serana, the flagship vampire NPC who Bethesda wanted everyone to like. They made sure she looked good by making her a different race!

But now that Bethesda is not making the game, we can actually create a decent looking character without using mods. This page gives some good examples of what you can do. Seriously, why couldn't we make a character that looks like this in Skyrim? Or a High Elf who looks like this?

The thing I don't like is that from what I have read, once you have created your character, you can never go back and change their appearance. Not even their hairstyle or lipstick. Given that in every video game ever made your characters never look the same in the game as they do in the character generation, this is really annoying. I have already ranted about having to restart my Mass Effect 1 character dozens of times and sit through that game's interminable opening cinematics. So if you do not like how your character looks you will have to delete the character and start over from scratch.

And I wonder how long the game holds on to your old name after you delete a character before it allows it to be used again? Is it available instantly? Or does it take time for the server to update and realize the name is no longer in use? I guess if I am playing Persephone The 14th Dead, you will know I had to create her fourteen times.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: May 30 2015, 07:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 30 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Mar 19 2014, 05:51 PM) *

Why not Polishes-His-Spear?

rollinglaugh.gif

That is already DE's character (from his story about Kraven), lol.

QUOTE(Acadian @ May 29 2015, 12:41 PM) *

Buffy needs bow, stealth and some magicks to compensate for no melee. From casually studying the build possibilities on paper I see a couple possibilities:

Bosmer of course for both RP and bow value.

Then I'm considering nightblade, which has plenty of stealth and what seems like illusion - but enough to avoid melee entirely?

The other class I'm considering is sorcerer. Probably conjuration to back up the bow. The concern here is that the Bosmer's stealth (without nightblade help) would be stealthy enough.

The nightblade gets some nice melee boosts that would be a total waste. The sorcerer's other boosts like utility magicks otoh would be helpful.

My gut says Bosmer sorceress to build my mystic archer but I'm not sure.

There is also an "Adventurer" type class that utilizes a bit of everything. I almost tried it, but ended up with Templar.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 30 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

Grits, it looks like if you take the Destruction Staff skill, you can do either frost, fire, or shock damage. But there is a different staff for each. So if you have a Frost Staff you can only do frost damage, and so on. I am not sure how you get the staves. Maybe you can pick one at character generation if you take the skill?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 30 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

Here is an interesting article on character builds:

EDIT: Oh crap, it is an ad, sorry.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 30 2015, 07:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:00 AM