Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Impressions of ESO By New Players, The Good, the Awesome, the Bad - your opinions.
mALX
post May 29 2015, 02:17 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

This thread is for everyone to post their impressions after playing ESO; what they liked, anything that might be improved, etc.

These first posts are being transferred from the "What I am Playing" thread; so bear with the first posts please, lol.

My son started in on ESO tonight. So far it is looking Awesome! A bit confusing, because I was having trouble figuring out who was a Player and who was an NPC - well, some were working so I knew they were NPC's; and some were running around madly, so I knew they were Players; but the ones walking or milling around - those I couldn't tell.

And some character came up and attacked my son's pet imp and then attacked my son for no reason - in the middle of a town. Neither my son or I could figure out if it was an NPC or some crazed player. My son finally killed him because the guy wouldn't leave him alone; and there was nothing on his body to indicate if it was Player or NPC! (So still don't know, lol).

Right now he is still just trying to figure out what the/his objectives are.

All the conversations are run in a small box on the left of the screen, and the print on the conversations is so tiny I can't read it - my son can't read it either, it is that small.

But the game itself - the graphics and sheer size of it is AWESOME! The characters are lifesized, the ships really look like ships and not small replicas. It is an amazing game so far!

My son has played online a LOT before, so he will orient himself a lot quicker than I will be able to - but for right now he is playing solo.

I am seriously considering sneaking on while he is at work and starting a character in the Ebonheart just to try it out, laugh.gif.

You can't get to Cyrodiil till you reach a very high level, it is blocked completely before then. And yes, Cyrodiil is the only Player VS Player (from what I heard it is a massive battleground there, Alliance VS Alliance - which means I'll never want to go there, lol).

Never having played online before - I wanted to go solo. My allies don't fare well in melee with my characters, I hit the wrong people with both weapons and healing magic.

My son said that online game is all about creating a small group of friends who each have a needed skill set to ensure the group survives and prospers. "Tanks" take the damage for the group (Orcs/heavy armor); the healer keeps everyone fighting; etc. As a group you strategically plan the battles and how best to defeat the enemies.

The enemies are leveled to be powerful enough to be a challenge for a group of players; and I don't know if their level drops based on the numbers in the attack. If it does, then playing solo would work very well; but I don't know if it does or not.

My son said that even the best multiplayer game in the world is only half as good if you try to play it solo, for him the group adds tremendously to the experience.

But for me, I want to play it solo till I feel very comfortable with the game - then maybe just one or two close friends, no group of strangers.

Well, I played the whole first section of - the tutorial dungeon. There were several really tough fights that I have yet to figure out what I did right to win.

The tough enemies dropped excellent loot such as enchanted weapons and armor - I just need to figure out how to equip it now, and find my inventory!

I made the stupid mistake of creating my character with no gear! I was looking at her body in the bikini and forgot to redress her! So I'm doubly relieved that I made it out of Coldharbour alive - and beat Molag Bal's minion in a boss battle to do it!

Unfortunately, I walked into the firepit in Indoril Manor and can't figure out how to jump out; so I exited the game to find out.

My impression of the game so far = it reminds me VERY strongly of the game "Fate" except with tremendous graphics and other people running around.

(I think the game "Fate" is a quasi version of the game "Fable;" but I haven't ever played Fable so don't know for sure if that is accurate). Fate is usually found prepackaged in the games folder of new computers with Windows OS's.

The feel of it is much closer to Morrowind than any other TES game I've played. When you escape the dungeon and reach the town you can go around and talk to NPC's who have a white arrow over their heads - they have quests to give the player.

Oh, and if someone loots before you and an item is empty - wait a few seconds and try again, this place restocks VERY quickly.

If you are going to loot bodies, do it fast because they will disappear quickly as well. This place cleans itself up and resets very fast compared to World of Warcraft!

I accepted two quests, one is part of the main questline for my area (Ebonheart Pact, so whatever town that is - can't think of it right now).

Also, almost every key on your keyboard has a function, so I need to make myself a key to remember them all - but I think "M" is for Map.

If you walk up to another Player and hit "E" (which is the "Activate" key) - it opens up the option to Chat with them, trade with them, join their group, invite them to join your group.

(I found that out by accident while trying to get out of the fire pit).

It was really exciting, and if it turns out to be like Fate - I got so addicted to that game that the company called me on the phone and told me to get off the game because my free trial had ended and they were reluctant to shut me down in the middle of gameplay, lol.

So far all my impressions are good. Everyone I know that plays it has become very addicted to it, and has said it is everything Skyrim should have been - so far I'm really impressed.

The dungeon Coldharbor was huge and amazingly done. I am quite sure I left a bunch of loot behind in it.

They have a tremendous range of ways to personalize your character: Age, hair style and color, height and weight, all the usual facegen we are used to in TES, face and body painting/tattoos, there are over 20 eye colors and shapes - very nice eyes. Even the neck/leg/arm/and hand sizes can be tweaked. And they have very decent hair that is clean and combed, unlike vanilla Skyrim.

A few things I found clunky:

Keys for certain functions are not where i am used to them being; like activate is E and spacebar is jump. That is exactly opposite of what I am used to.

And I am afraid to rekey the keyboard for this game like I did for other games because so many keys are used for something particular (I for inventory, M for Maps, O opens up your profile page showing your friends, for quick access to message them - etc)

Also messaging/using the chat box - since players can have up to 8 different characters, if you want to message a friend they ask you to name which character of theirs you want to get the message.

Well, the character's name has to be spelled exactly correct, and these are TES Lore names (get my drift? Lol). I was trying to message someone last night with a very long two part name, with my left hand not working and in game - couldn't do it.

OH! Another plus I discovered last night: no need for pose and animation mods, they are built in! Your character can do over 300 animations and poses right from the start just by keying them into the chat box = instant pose or animation!

There are numerous dances, numerous sits, sleeping, eating, drinking, drunk, playing musical instruments with varied songs, digging with a shovel, raking, waving, motioning to come here, etc, etc, etc - hundreds of them! AWESOME !!!!

And they also have all the craftings from Skyrim including smithing/alchemy/enchanting/cooking/etc.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 29 2015, 03:22 AM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

What a great summary of what you've learned so far! I look forward to learning more about ESO from your adventures and observations. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 31 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Thanks Acadian!

Last night was a lot of learning how to do things in the game. Example, I was carrying too much stuff to pick up anymore, so the man from TESAlliance showed me how to put inventory items (I wouldn't be using right away) into a Bank.

All the major cities have Banks. If you place something in the Bank in one city, the Banks in all the cities will be able to access your items for you, you can retrieve them anytime.

I don't know how to tell if your equipment has been damaged yet, but I noticed while I was talking to a vendor - at the bottom of the screen it said "Repair all items - 14 gold."

Well, I sold off some of the items that needed repair I guess, because it only cost me 5 gold to repair all my items.

I don't know if there is a difference in the quality/percentage of repair based on who you deal with (like in the Fallout games there were certain NPC's who repaired better than others).

Your horse that comes with the Imperial Edition (or any horse you buy) can be used for storage too. Anytime you want to you can go to any stables and pay the stable hand to "train" your horse (250 gold, I don't have enough yet) - and they can teach the horse to carry more for you (a huge help if you are going to be away from a city for a while) - or to increase their speed, or one other attribute I can't remember.

When you dismount the horse shimmers and disappears - goes to a safe place to wait for the Player. When you want them again you press H (for horse) and your character whistles. Your horse instantly appears at your side and you mount it.

And you can name your horse whatever you want. The game gives you a chance to name it when you first access it.

Also, for random quests - every town has a notice board where you can pick up random quests.

If there is nothing on the notice board, you can go around to any of the crafting businesses and tell the owner you are interested in learning more about their craft; and after that you will always find notices from that vendor on the notice board.

Those quests are always to gather materials they need for their craft, so you can fill them while you are doing other quests (find those items in your travels).

I am so loving this game! It is so like Morrowind or Fate, but so much better graphics and the actions of the NPC's is so much more realistic than Skyrim's.

OH, and if you see a Player character in town digging in a satchel - that means they are looking in their inventory; and if you see them looking at a map - that means they are accessing their map.

You can't see yourself doing it, but your character does that too! Very cool; I absolutely LOVED that!

Last night a lot of the Players were roleplaying in the city I was in - drinking; dancing; and one big older character got drunk and was beating up NPC's - brawling drunk. It was Saturday night in Davon's Watch, rollinglaugh.gif

But I learned something from it = he didn't know if I was an NPC or a Player, so he tried to attack me, and his fists went right through me - so you can't accidentally injure your Player allies, or any other Player - only NPC's.

So I can't remember who suggested it, but they were right - you actually can't hurt another Player even if you try unless you and they are both set up to allow Player vs Player.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 31 2015, 04:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 31 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

That sounds really neat! Thank you for sharing your adventures. This sounds like a fun game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 31 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Paladin
Group Icon

MALX, that's all good news.

I like the 'bank' idea.

The horse stuff sounds wonderful for keeping the horse safe when not actually in use. In fact, what you describe is quite similar to what Buffy does (mods) in both Oblivion and Skyrim. What can you do in the saddle? Melee? Archery? Any spell casting? Talk to NPCs? Pick things up?

The unwanted PVP provisions sound fine as well.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 31 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

The bank solves my concern about losing stuff when you delete a character, if the bank is account-specific. Is that how it works? I wonder if mounts are shared between characters? It would be worth getting the Imperial edition if all of your characters could share an immortal horse.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 31 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ May 31 2015, 11:52 AM) *

The bank solves my concern about losing stuff when you delete a character, if the bank is account-specific. Is that how it works? I wonder if mounts are shared between characters? It would be worth getting the Imperial edition if all of your characters could share an immortal horse.

No, the banks are Character specific. When you delete a character, all their inventory and bank accounts go with them.

EDIT:

Only the Imperial mount that comes if you buy the Imperial Edition can be used by all characters - but it is the only one (unless you buy a mount through the Crown store - everything bought through the Crown store is for all your characters too).

The other characters have to each buy their own mount - and it doesn't have to be a horse if you are buying it, I saw people riding tigers, wargs, etc. (You get those using crown points at the crown store - which means all your characters can use them).

This post has been edited by mALX: May 31 2015, 05:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 31 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

The bank with its safety deposit box for your stuff is something that the Bethesda ES games could use. I think we all often end up buying/modding in a house somewhere just to have someplace to keep our stuff, if for no other reason.

It is great that your horse disappears when you do not need it as well. I was wondering if the landscape was filled with a horde of riderless mounts. It also protects them from being killed or stolen while you are busy in a dungeon. Again, something the Beth games could take note of.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 31 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 31 2015, 12:08 PM) *

The bank with its safety deposit box for your stuff is something that the Bethesda ES games could use. I think we all often end up buying/modding in a house somewhere just to have someplace to keep our stuff, if for no other reason.

It is great that your horse disappears when you do not need it as well. I was wondering if the landscape was filled with a horde of riderless mounts. It also protects them from being killed or stolen while you are busy in a dungeon. Again, something the Beth games could take note of.

I thought just like you did on that, what a great mod that Bank would make in Skyrim or Oblivion (or Fallout games!)

It is very cool too, you go in the bank and there are lines up to the counters and filling out accounts in one area, - really liked going into the bank!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 31 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

Am I right in thinking that there is no individual player housing? I’m glad there’s a bank for storage, but I’d rather have even just a shack somewhere that made me feel like my character actually lived in the world.

The mount system sounds very encouraging. The best things about Convenient Horses built right in. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 31 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ May 31 2015, 12:24 PM) *

Am I right in thinking that there is no individual player housing? I’m glad there’s a bank for storage, but I’d rather have even just a shack somewhere that made me feel like my character actually lived in the world.

The mount system sounds very encouraging. The best things about Convenient Horses built right in. smile.gif

I don't know about the housing, and I wondered that too! Oh, but Jerric can both eat, drink, and sleep - and you can watch him do it, lol. I thought of him right away when I saw how easy it was to do that, lol.

You just type /eat ; /drink ; /drunk ; / sleep - and your character does whatever you say till you move him or give him a new command.

(or he can drunk dance /dancedrunk ; or entertain the crowds with a song /lute )

I plan to find out about the houses, I did see in passing a conversation about them that seemed to indicate to me that it wasn't available, but I don't want to say that till I have researched it a bit.

Oh, I forgot to add this on my post above:

I didn't really want to talk to anyone, but now I'm glad I did. I learned so much! The person helping me helped me join a Trader's Guild so I will always have someone to trade with.

The members of that Trader's guild will be marked on my map as I come into areas so I'll always be able to find a trader wherever I am, and they have access to better equipment than the vendors.

One thing about equipment - you can't use equipment higher than your level. If you get some, you can keep it till you reach that level, but it is marked in red and you are blocked from using it till you have earned that level.

I had three greatswords; a level 1, 2, and 3. Now all of them show the same amount of damage rating - so I don't know what the level on them means or how it affects anything. But I changed up to the level 3 one anyway as soon as I could; figuring there had to be a reason the levels were added to the stat.

If anyone finds out what the different levels indicate (other than just some psychological way to get you to think one is more desirable, lol) - can you post it?

I plan to hunt down that info too.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 31 2015, 05:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 31 2015, 05:56 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh - on the banks - your bank account/safety deposit box allows you to store something like 70 items. If you want to store more, you can purchase more space at the bank (not sure if that is done through the Crown store or through the bank itself).

But Guilds you join may also have bank accounts in your name that you can use. When you first talk to the banker, they will give you options of different bank accounts available to you. Mine said Bank, Guild Bank, and another bank - can't remember what it was.

But my friend advised me to fill up my original Bank first.

Also, when you reach a certain level (like level 5 or 10) - you can split up your skills into two different groups and switch back and forth between them on the fly in combat.

Example: In the beginning of the game you have 5 "hot keys" that you can add any spells that need activating (like destruction, conjuration, healing, shield, stealth enhancing spells, etc.

Well, when you reach that level (5 or 10 when they add more) - they give you a row of another 5 hot keys to add items to, and you can switch between them on the fly - so you can add all your destruction on one and healing on the other; or all your mage skills on one and all your archery or melee skills on the other; etc.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 31 2015, 05:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 4 2015, 12:45 AM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

So far the only thing I've found anti in ESO is that I haven't found a way to save it, the game saves everything itself - so in other words, if I make a mistake, I can't reload a save and go back; I have to live with my choices.

I sold my greatsword because I picked up an enchanted axe; well the enchanted axe had much higher stats and level than my greatsword - but didn't work as well in battle.

Then I put all my points into morphing my powerful spells that go into my hot bar; and they didn't seem to be doing as much or be as effective after that.

Well, either I messed up in trading equipment and morphing my spells, or it is because I'm getting into much stronger enemies.

Well actually, I know I'm getting into much stronger enemies because my friend that gave me the more powerful equipment told me so. But WOW, I mean they are really powerful, and I am just in the early dungeon area.

So I backed off - dropped back 5 yards to punt. Maybe I need to buy my greatsword back; or next time I get points put them into my armor or weapon skills.

I think I messed up on my choices, but can't go back now. The only choice I have is to play on, gain experience with the game with this character, and when I get the game on my own PC I'll start a new character and base it on my knowledge gathered in this first (test) character.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 4 2015, 02:34 AM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

Interesting how fastidious it sounds like you have to be. Consequences from choices, and all that. Do you find yourself really connecting with your character and her world? It seems like this would be so because you're really putting a lot of energy and also some growing pains as you figure things out.

Sounds like a cool experience, is what I mean to say

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 4 2015, 02:53 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jun 3 2015, 09:34 PM) *

Interesting how fastidious it sounds like you have to be. Consequences from choices, and all that. Do you find yourself really connecting with your character and her world? It seems like this would be so because you're really putting a lot of energy and also some growing pains as you figure things out.

Sounds like a cool experience, is what I mean to say

Yes, but this is most def not a game anyone would want to play "dead is dead."

But I have a friend who has been traveling with me and giving me hints; saved me several times when the fight was too tough for my character to handle; and his character is hilarious!

He plays a girl sorceress conjurer who dances or plays the drum when she is bored; and has several conjured familiars that go everywhere with her (and the conjured familiars have also saved my butt a few times when I was outnumbered by a pack of wolves).

When you die you can choose to be resurrected where you are and keep fighting, or at a shrine if the fight is too tough and you want to run to safety.

So far I've stayed to keep fighting and eventually won the fight - and that is really satisfying, if you know what I mean.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 4 2015, 01:29 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

I agree, there is no way I'd play that game dead-is-dead. For one thing, you've got all the blunders and foibles which could happen which aren't your fault. For another thing, it just sounds much tougher than TES 4 or 5.

Your friend's sorceress sounds hilarious, especially playing that drum and dancing around. Sounds like a fun game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 4 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jun 4 2015, 08:29 AM) *

I agree, there is no way I'd play that game dead-is-dead. For one thing, you've got all the blunders and foibles which could happen which aren't your fault. For another thing, it just sounds much tougher than TES 4 or 5.

Your friend's sorceress sounds hilarious, especially playing that drum and dancing around. Sounds like a fun game.

I was in hysterics, because if i was taking too long she would start conjuring familiars, then tap her foot, then pull out a drum and start playing - by then I'd be laughing too hard to concentrate on playing. And the dancing was hilarious, like some kind of jig, lol.

I met a female Player last night with a Nord female character (only hers was blonde, mine has red hair) - she was doing the same quests I was doing and just as new a player as me - it was nice to talk to someone struggling with the same questions I was, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 4 2015, 03:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 4 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #18

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Sounds like you´re having a blast, mALX smile.gif Your words painted a vivid image of drunken people in the bar who started fights while music was playing and others were talking. It gave me such a LotR feel! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 4 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

It gave me a Detroit on Saturday night feel! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 4 2015, 05:22 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jun 4 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #20

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 4 2015, 06:15 PM) *

It gave a Detroit on Saturday night feel! laugh.gif

Detroit merged with Middle Earth confirmed! rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:08 AM