Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Impressions of ESO By New Players, The Good, the Awesome, the Bad - your opinions.
Grits
post Jun 4 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

The drunken dancing stuff gives me an idea who my first character will be. laugh.gif Sounds like a lot of fun.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 5 2015, 12:13 AM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

It really is a ton of fun, but the combat is a LOT harder than Oblivion/Skyrim. I am getting a little better at casting spells and that has helped a LOT - and I just found an enchanted Bow that I was given early in the game and didn't find till playing last night (because when you leave Coldharbour you are given your soul in an urn; and it comes with enchanted clothing and bow; and all this time I never looked in the urn to get my soul back, rollinglaugh.gif )

So I am hoping the bow will keep me alive a lot better since I'll be fighting ranged.

OH - and I only died twice last night, but both times it wouldn't let me resurrect there - had to go to a wayshrine to be resurrected. There was a red mark over the option to resurrect "Here" and it said "Filled." I have no idea what that means, but I saw numerous dead players there, and they all said that.

So it was something about the area of that dungeon that kept everyone from resurrecting there - I also could not summon my horse till I got away from that dungeon; so it was something about the dungeon itself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 5 2015, 02:08 AM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

When you die does it cost you anything to resurrect? Like does gold or experience points or looted stuff get taken from your inventory, or some other penalty? Sorry, I am a complete n00b with MMOs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 5 2015, 02:33 AM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 4 2015, 09:08 PM) *

When you die does it cost you anything to resurrect? Like does gold or experience points or looted stuff get taken from your inventory, or some other penalty? Sorry, I am a complete n00b with MMOs.

You can resurrect where you are for the cost of a soul gem, or elect to be resurrected at a shrine. I don't know if going to the shrine costs you anything or not; but if you don't have the soul gem you have no choice but to go to the shrine.

Darn it all, I just learned this! I wasted a fortune in soul gems choosing "Here!" Urk.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 5 2015, 02:33 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 9 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

First couple of hours: It got fun as soon as I figured out how to turn off the random player chatter and found my inventory. I think the names over the characters’ heads must be player names, unless everyone named their character ‘Asshunter_6757’ and the like. Maybe I can turn those off, too. I’m in the Ebonheart Pact and Jerric is the only one I’ve seen with a shield on his back. I logged in early so his actual name is ‘Jerric.’

So far this has not been a roleplaying experience. I like to look around and plan to explore, but there’s no sense that this is a real world. It’s very game-y. The spells are reflexive button-pushes that you kind of watch happen, but at least the shield bashes feel OK. Hopefully swords will be better and I’ll get used to it. It helps that while Jerric does not look much like himself from the chin up, at least he looks pretty hot. laugh.gif

Also I haven’t figured out how to heal yet. I accidentally ate my only healing potion while hitting the wrong hotkey. Oops.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 9 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 9 2015, 09:12 AM) *

First couple of hours: It got fun as soon as I figured out how to turn off the random player chatter and found my inventory. I think the names over the characters’ heads must be player names, unless everyone named their character ‘Asshunter_6757’ and the like. Maybe I can turn those off, too. I’m in the Ebonheart Pact and Jerric is the only one I’ve seen with a shield on his back. I logged in early so his actual name is ‘Jerric.’

So far this has not been a roleplaying experience. I like to look around and plan to explore, but there’s no sense that this is a real world. It’s very game-y. The spells are reflexive button-pushes that you kind of watch happen, but at least the shield bashes feel OK. Hopefully swords will be better and I’ll get used to it. It helps that while Jerric does not look much like himself from the chin up, at least he looks pretty hot. laugh.gif

Also I haven’t figured out how to heal yet. I accidentally ate my only healing potion while hitting the wrong hotkey. Oops.

I don't know how to heal either, and invested my points in destruction magic instead of healing magic.

I planned to spend my next two points in armor and healing, but so far the only time I've needed it has been when totally out numbered or outmatched by an enemy way above me; and in those healing won't matter, you die too quickly for it to help.

I was very surprised how fast your health regenerates after battle, so far I've been doing well enough without healing.

On those fights where you are totally outmatched (like those bandits at the mine where the SkyShard is) - you should choose to resurrect at a shrine and don't go back till you have that quest (you have to disguise yourself to get by in that area).

There is a good dodge if you hit one of the arrow keys twice he will roll away from the fight (depending on which you hit, practice it when not in combat first so you know how you want to use it).

Oh, this is so exciting to hear someone talkikng about the game!

In the PC version, only the people in your group have a white box over their head so you know who your party members are. or

If a lot of people around you have the same name "Asshead 67" - That is probably the name of their group/party. And that probably does kill immersion, the PC game doesn't have all that. The white box over your party's head helps you follow them or spot them from a distance, but it isn't intrusive because you might only have one or two other people playing with you (or none) and so most people look normal, and it really helps to have a way to recognize the one or two who may be able to help you in a fix.

There are only five people in the group I joined, and they are all friends from before the game. I only know the one who invited me into the group, and since the others are so far ahead of me in game I have never seen them - I'm in the beginners area. The only reason I've seen the one who invited me is because he came back to that area to help me learn how to play; teach me what ingredients to look for in the woods, etc.

I noticed at night (in game night) there were a lot fewer Players, and I was able to get into the game a bit better because it felt more like a single player game then.

(Plus playing in the dark night made it much easier to see the enchanting essences because they glow, so I was able to enchant my outfit and beginner weapons right away).

Another thing I found really immersive was when I played that Saturday night and was in a big city (Davon's Watch) - and the Players in town were hanging out in the city square; getting drunk, dancing, playing music, and brawling. That was awesome; and really was immersive.

The PC players have learned how to make the game immersive over time, I'm sure the first day they were running around like banshees too - and that is what kills the immersion and keeps Jerric from getting any armor, it is all taken before he gets to it.

On the PC game, whoever strikes the death blow gets to loot the body, everyone else won't even get the option. And I'm not sure how it works on the console if you don't have a chat box; but on the PC game your chat box is also your developer's console and you can put commands in for your character to do (like /read - your character pulls out a book and reads it; or /lute - your character pulls out a lute and plays it, etc. ).

I wonder if/how the console players can get their characters to do animations? I'm sure they can still do them, but how?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 9 2015, 03:19 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

There is a huge menu of animations on the PS4, and apparently you can hotkey a certain number of them. Jerric used one to take a nap. I’m sure a lot of people are running around like crazy because it’s the first day. There were a lot of people riding their horses over the same high wall to take a shortcut around the stairs. I loved walking along the beach without anyone but the dreugh and friendly mudcrabs around after that quest were you burn all of the siege gear, and one of the tombs I went through was sparsely populated so I could take my time. It just feels very empty compared to Oblivion and Skyrim because so many things are just statics, yet still very crowded with players. Even if we hooked up with other characters, it would really be the players on the headset. That goes both ways, of course. I imagine folks would get a surprise to see a burly Nord male in front of them and hear a soft-talking female in their ear. laugh.gif

One thing that has been a lovely surprise is the excellent NPCs. The voice acting is superb and very natural, and it’s a relief to zoom in and talk to someone so you get a break from the other players and can just focus on the NPC. The NPCs make me want to do the quests. Jerric is anxious to go back to where they found him so he can thank the people there.

He’s also given away a bunch of gold to beggars. This is very Jerric and may be a problem. He’s used to making a lot and spending a lot, not having a budget!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 9 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

So I checked around and it seems that PSN ids and Xbox gamertags are displayed instead of character names by design. This is a really, really horrible decision in my opinion. I can see where that makes it easier for players to find players, but I’m interested in characters. So hello there, xSwagMastr_666x. Shall we adventure together? Ugh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 9 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 9 2015, 10:19 AM) *

There is a huge menu of animations on the PS4, and apparently you can hotkey a certain number of them. Jerric used one to take a nap. I’m sure a lot of people are running around like crazy because it’s the first day. There were a lot of people riding their horses over the same high wall to take a shortcut around the stairs. I loved walking along the beach without anyone but the dreugh and friendly mudcrabs around after that quest were you burn all of the siege gear, and one of the tombs I went through was sparsely populated so I could take my time. It just feels very empty compared to Oblivion and Skyrim because so many things are just statics, yet still very crowded with players. Even if we hooked up with other characters, it would really be the players on the headset. That goes both ways, of course. I imagine folks would get a surprise to see a burly Nord male in front of them and hear a soft-talking female in their ear. laugh.gif

One thing that has been a lovely surprise is the excellent NPCs. The voice acting is superb and very natural, and it’s a relief to zoom in and talk to someone so you get a break from the other players and can just focus on the NPC. The NPCs make me want to do the quests. Jerric is anxious to go back to where they found him so he can thank the people there.

He’s also given away a bunch of gold to beggars. This is very Jerric and may be a problem. He’s used to making a lot and spending a lot, not having a budget!

Yeah, it is all the excitement of a new game and everyone will be running around like crazy till they settle down and start finding ways to make it immersive for them, which is how the PC players are now because they have had over a year of playing to get used to it.

I just learned that you can hot key healing potions on the PC by using the Q, but I haven't learned how to do it yet, planned to read up on it before I played next.

The island where Jerric was first found is where the beginners area is, ("Baby's first dungeons," as they used to say in Oblivion, lol).

That is where I am right now. The quests are a lot simpler there and at Davon's Watch, just to get you used to the game mechanics and learn how to do everything.

I didn't do the siege engines in Davon's Watch yet, I just got that skull and returned it to House Indoril; then my friend advised me to go to that island first and do all the early dungeons because the quests there are leveled for beginners - if you do a level 1 dungeon at level 1-4 you get a LOT of much needed loot because the game is trying to help you grow up in strength. (but if you do the same quest at level 7-10 you won't get near as much because the game doesn't think you need the help as much).

I was already at level 4 when he told me that, and now I'm at level 6-7 and still doing quests on that island, so I caught it just in time to level properly loot-wise.

Oh, if Jerric has a horse, he may want to save some of that gold to buy his horse some feed. Your horse only levels up when you feed it; (which costs 250 gold each time you buy food for it). The food can make it faster, give it better endurance so it can sprint further, or make it carry more.

Well, the horse has no inventory, so what happens is that YOUR inventory allowance grows every time you feed the horse the right food to up his carry weight. They can level up to 50, that is an extra 50 items the Player can carry. (without doing this the Player can only carry 60 items).

You can buy as many horses as you want; if you have the Imperial Edition they only cost 1 gold (without it they are about 17,000 gold).

So what the PC Players have been doing is buying two or more horses, one to ride (which they feed up for speed and stamina); and the others all to sit in the stables and they feed them up for carrying; making their own inventory allowances huge. Then they can also buy up extra storage at the banks to store stuff for crafting armor, etc.

I have only made 250 once and had to spend it down right away to repair my armor, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 9 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 9 2015, 09:51 AM) *

On those fights where you are totally outmatched (like those bandits at the mine where the SkyShard is) - you should choose to resurrect at a shrine and don't go back till you have that quest (you have to disguise yourself to get by in that area).

There is a good dodge if you hit one of the arrow keys twice he will roll away from the fight (depending on which you hit, practice it when not in combat first so you know how you want to use it).

mALX, thank you for these tips! It’s much more fun for me to have someone to talk to about playing than it would be to just do this alone. That’s why I started the first Jerric as a Templar in the Ebonheart Pact. (Jerric has already picked out his hair for Aldmeri Dominion-Dragonknight-Jerric and Daggerfall Covenant-Sorcerer-Jerric. I probably won’t branch out until someone else starts in those areas.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 9 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, what you said about the voices made me laugh, lol. Jerric sounding like a girl - rollinglaugh.gif

My friend is a male whose character is a female; he just talks as himself about his character just like we are doing on here; like telling her story not in first person, like a friend of hers telling me about her.

(So it all works out).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 9 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, the accent is about right but not the voice!! laugh.gif

I’m struggling to think in third person with this game. It’s still ‘my’ potions and ‘I’ went here and there. I’m sure I’ll adjust.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 9 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 9 2015, 11:24 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 9 2015, 09:51 AM) *

mALX, thank you for these tips! It’s much more fun for me to have someone to talk to about playing than it would be to just do this alone. That’s why I started the first Jerric as a Templar in the Ebonheart Pact. (Jerric has already picked out his hair for Aldmeri Dominion-Dragonknight-Jerric and Daggerfall Covenant-Sorcerer-Jerric. I probably won’t branch out until someone else starts in those areas.)

Yes, it is so exciting for me to hear someone else talking about playing it, who is in the same places I am, etc laugh.gif

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 9 2015, 11:28 AM) *

Yeah, the accent is about right but not the voice!! laugh.gif

I’m struggling to think in third person with this game. It’s still ‘my’ potions and ‘I’ went here and there. I’m sure I’ll adjust.

I do that too when I'm talking to him about Misa, I ask how to look in my inventory, etc. It is fine, they know what you mean.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 9 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 9 2015, 10:43 AM) *

So I checked around and it seems that PSN ids and Xbox gamertags are displayed instead of character names by design. This is a really, really horrible decision in my opinion. I can see where that makes it easier for players to find players, but I’m interested in characters. So hello there, xSwagMastr_666x. Shall we adventure together? Ugh.

I wonder if there is a way to block them from showing all the time? I think "settings" might have a way to adjust that, but really don't know. Yeah, if the Player name is weird like my son's is then it would really be awkward to remember who is who.
But like if I saw "SubRosa," or "Grits," or "Acadian," I would be like, "WOO HOO!" So, I guess it works both ways depending on if it is a name you would recognize, I think on my son's they used his Steam ID name or something, it is really weird.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 9 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

I’m going to check very thoroughly the next time I’m on. I have to go into that menu area anyway to turn off the audio from other players every time I log on. There were a lot of options.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 9 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 9 2015, 02:23 PM) *

[But like if I saw "SubRosa," or "Grits," or "Acadian," I would be like, "WOO HOO!" So, I guess it works both ways depending on if it is a name you would recognize, I think on my son's they used his Steam ID name or something, it is really weird.

That brings up a question. Is ESO a Steam-Only game? At least for PC users? Do you log on to Steam and play on their servers? Or are ESO's servers separate from Steam?

Edit: I just did a little reading about their MegaServer system. That makes me guess that Steam/Valve is not actually hosting the game. It does seem weird to me though, since Steam is all about online DRM. How does that play with ESO's own network? I did a little reading of a forum post that really made my head spin about how you buy the game from one, get your cd-key from the other, install the game from one, uninstall from the other, etc...

I also wonder what kind of server architecture they are using for their Megaservers. The article I linked to implies multiple physical servers per Megaserver. So that makes me think VMWare, or maybe a Cisco UCS? Or perhaps they really do have one physical box. I imagine an IBM P795 would fit the bill for a single Megaserver. We have a few of those at work, and they are beasts. But I prefer VMWare and the UCS for their flexibility.

The IBM route would explain why an entire megaserver might be down for hours at a time. I saw a mention of one being down for 13 hours at some point. That sounds like a P795. While it can have hundreds of Logical Partitions (basically virtual servers inside), to do hardware maintenance, you have to shut down the entire box, and all those Lpars with it at once. What I love about VMWare is that it is modular. You can move all the VM Clients off a physical host in real time, take that host out of the farm, do your maintenance, put it back in, and move the clients back, and it is all completely seamless to the end user. There is zero outage. Anyway, I am blabbing geek talk, nevermind.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 9 2015, 10:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 10 2015, 12:18 AM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

IBM don't make anything using the Intel processors (or compatibles like AMD) any more. The P series and Z series each use different CPU's - which might even be the same ones, since the z boxes are soft machines like all the S/360, S/370 and S/390's before them, loading a microcode that acts as virtual hardware. They've migrated from discrete transistors up to the current chips without changing the "hardware" op-codes (except that keep adding more).

Id expect this all to be on Intel/AMD x64 processors, and using Linux to keep license fees down. They'd still have to take a whole rack of them down at once for some changes. The reason I'd expect Intel compatible is the ability to just reuse things from the PC/Xbox code lines, as well as assets made there.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 10 2015, 06:24 AM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 9 2015, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 9 2015, 02:23 PM) *

[But like if I saw "SubRosa," or "Grits," or "Acadian," I would be like, "WOO HOO!" So, I guess it works both ways depending on if it is a name you would recognize, I think on my son's they used his Steam ID name or something, it is really weird.

That brings up a question. Is ESO a Steam-Only game? At least for PC users? Do you log on to Steam and play on their servers? Or are ESO's servers separate from Steam?

Edit: I just did a little reading about their MegaServer system. That makes me guess that Steam/Valve is not actually hosting the game. It does seem weird to me though, since Steam is all about online DRM. How does that play with ESO's own network? I did a little reading of a forum post that really made my head spin about how you buy the game from one, get your cd-key from the other, install the game from one, uninstall from the other, etc...

I also wonder what kind of server architecture they are using for their Megaservers. The article I linked to implies multiple physical servers per Megaserver. So that makes me think VMWare, or maybe a Cisco UCS? Or perhaps they really do have one physical box. I imagine an IBM P795 would fit the bill for a single Megaserver. We have a few of those at work, and they are beasts. But I prefer VMWare and the UCS for their flexibility.

The IBM route would explain why an entire megaserver might be down for hours at a time. I saw a mention of one being down for 13 hours at some point. That sounds like a P795. While it can have hundreds of Logical Partitions (basically virtual servers inside), to do hardware maintenance, you have to shut down the entire box, and all those Lpars with it at once. What I love about VMWare is that it is modular. You can move all the VM Clients off a physical host in real time, take that host out of the farm, do your maintenance, put it back in, and move the clients back, and it is all completely seamless to the end user. There is zero outage. Anyway, I am blabbing geek talk, nevermind.

IPB Image

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 9 2015, 07:18 PM) *

IBM don't make anything using the Intel processors (or compatibles like AMD) any more. The P series and Z series each use different CPU's - which might even be the same ones, since the z boxes are soft machines like all the S/360, S/370 and S/390's before them, loading a microcode that acts as virtual hardware. They've migrated from discrete transistors up to the current chips without changing the "hardware" op-codes (except that keep adding more).

Id expect this all to be on Intel/AMD x64 processors, and using Linux to keep license fees down. They'd still have to take a whole rack of them down at once for some changes. The reason I'd expect Intel compatible is the ability to just reuse things from the PC/Xbox code lines, as well as assets made there.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 11 2015, 01:26 AM
Post #39

Mouth
Group Icon

Ok so first impressions.

It's a pretty solid MMO, and they've managed to balance that with the single player ES experience that everyone wants. That said, if you haven't played many MMO's then it might be a lot to get used to.

Visually, it looks great. The characters are really nice, especially the Argonians - we they look beautiful. The only locations I've seen so far are Morrowind and a little Skyrim-type island and it's all good, looks exactly how it should.

The combat and loot systems seem good, though I only play solo so i'm not sure how that might change in a party situation if you're all trying to work together. Haa-Rei's using a bow and summoning magic - the latter has saved his life countless times already.

The crafting system is good. Haa-Rei's focusing on woodwork and clothing so he can make bows and medium armour for himself, but there's also blacksmithing, provisioning (food), alchemy and enchanting. Pretty easy and simple to get the hang of.

There's a pretty cool 'style' system for weapons and armour which means that anything you make or equip looks different depending on what race you are. When you craft things you have to use a style ingredient which changes the race style of the outfit - at first you can only create in the style of your race, but later on I'm told you can learn to craft other race styles too. (of course you can use real-world currency to speed this process up)

As with all Elder Scrolls games, the lore and story all seems really tight and helps to bring the world alive. All the NPC's wander around and do their own thing, and the voice acting is superb (had a little fanboy moment when I spoke to a character voiced by John Cleese).

Poked my head into the PvP bit but didn't take part in any battles. Got obliterated by a higher level wispmother on my way to the Imperial City. It sounds interesting though so I'll level up and go back some time to check it out.

The only complaints are that I can't turn Xbox voice chat off (so I have to manually exit the area chat every time I fast travel and someone starts jabbering away on their mic) and that player gamertags are displayed rather than character names. Only little nits, but there we go.

As I mentioned, there is an in-game store where you can exchange real-world money for in game items. However these are pretty much all aesthetic things such as outifts and mounts and there isn't much of a selection. It doesn't feel like I'm missing out by not purchasing these things.

overall - I'm really enjoying it. Really Really enjoying it. Really really real- yeah you get the idea.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 11 2015, 01:44 AM
Post #40

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks, hazmick. I've so enjoyed hearing mALX's impressions but it is great to hear yet another opinion. Glad you're enjoying it!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:07 AM