Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESO tips & tricks, Looking for help with ESO? This is the right thread for you!
Acadian
post Sep 12 2016, 12:02 AM
Post #41

Paladin
Group Icon

Here's a tip that we learned through trial and error. To reduce confusion over what is in Buffy's skill bar, we turned on the settings option so the bar shows all the time at the bottom of our screen.

Well, we noticed the skills go bright and dim. . . and figured out that indicates if there is a target in range. Since range is life to Buffy, this lets her know exactly the distance she needs to sneak up to barely within range for an attack. At least for us, this has been a very helpful discovery.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 12 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 11 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Here's a tip that we learned through trial and error. To reduce confusion over what is in Buffy's skill bar, we turned on the settings option so the bar shows all the time at the bottom of our screen.

Well, we noticed the skills go bright and dim. . . and figured out that indicates if there is a target in range. Since range is life to Buffy, this lets her know exactly the distance she needs to sneak up to barely within range for an attack. At least for us, this has been a very helpful discovery.

Holy Cow!!!!!ll I never knew you could toggle the hot bar!!! And if it also lets you know when an enemy is in range, that is Awesome !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 12 2016, 01:48 AM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

That’s a great tip, Acadian! I had forgotten that you could turn it to be always on. The skill greying out until you are in range helps me a lot. Now that Lil is using Snipe all the time I tend to think Jerric should be able to use his ranged skills long before he actually can.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 16 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 11 2016, 04:30 PM) *
So my "gifts" had to always be for new (lowest level) players only; which was fine, because they are usually the ones that need the boost and it is a nice "Welcome" to the game for them.

Several people gave me a nice gift of armor and weapons when I first started, so it is kind of a "Paying it back" for me, and I really enjoy it.

That was one of the things I really enjoy about ESO thus far: the unexpected acts of kindness from other players.

For me paying it forward is helping another solo player take on a boss if I see something going south.

I had a player unexpectedly resurrect Julian out of the blue when I was trying to kill Faolchu in the Glenumbra quest line. Unfortunately I didn't note the player's name (my adrenaline was too high after so many unsuccessful attempts) so I never did thank that player. Julian now carries around filled soul gems so she can do the same.

Mazul hasn't yet collected very many, and she keeps draining the enchantments out of her quest items (she keeps trading up). I suspect she is slower to move through the quests because I noticed she is taking them on at higher levels than Julian did.

That's okay. Julian is currently a level or two higher than the quests she's on right now, so that's cool. And at Level 18 she is starting to feel more confident and not quite so hesitant. She also discovered how to use her magic attack from stealth, but still prefers to take them on one at a time.

I know I had more questions! So here are one (or maybe two) of them.

I suspect part of the reason I'm still struggling with inventory management is I'm not clear on how it works. Notably the bank. If I have items in the bank (not in the player's inventory), can I still access them when I'm working at a crafting station? Or does one need the Crafting Bag of Holding for that? I keep running out of inventory when Mazul or Julian are crafting writs.

Also, what does stacking items mean? Does it mean what I think it means - multiples of identical items take up one slot. I've tried using the "Stack All" key when in the inventory menu but I never see it make a difference.

I just figured out how buying from Guild Stores work. So Julian bought a bunch of crafting style books for Mazul. I didn't pick them up while I was logged in with Julian, because I was afraid they would go into Julian's inventory, then she'd have to put them into the bank, yada yada yada. So I left them in the emails until Mazul logged in, then she picked them up. Mazul is excited to craft some good stuff for Julian, but she needs to get more researching done first. And it's frustrating that she can only research one trait at a time in each craft. Ugh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 16 2016, 12:52 AM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Sep 15 2016, 07:07 PM) *

I suspect part of the reason I'm still struggling with inventory management is I'm not clear on how it works. Notably the bank. If I have items in the bank (not in the player's inventory), can I still access them when I'm working at a crafting station? Or does one need the Crafting Bag of Holding for that? I keep running out of inventory when Mazul or Julian are crafting writs.

Yes, the crafting items that are in your bank are accessible through the crafting stations, you do not need to have them in your character's inventory. Weapons and armor that are in your bank can also be deconstructed or have their traits researched through the crafting stations, so you do not have to carry that stuff around with you either. Just be careful not to deconstruct something that you thought you put "safely" in the bank, I've done that!

Also, what does stacking items mean? Does it mean what I think it means - multiples of identical items take up one slot. I've tried using the "Stack All" key when in the inventory menu but I never see it make a difference.

As far as stacking, this is what I think it means. When you have more than 200 of the same item, say 207 ores, the first 200 take one inventory space and the next 7 takes up another space , up to the next 200. If you were to remove 30 ores you could "stack" the 7 into the remaining 170 and only take up one space again for the 177. On the PS4 items don't re-stack themselves into different slots when they can, you have to do it by hitting the stack button.

I just figured out how buying from Guild Stores work. So Julian bought a bunch of crafting style books for Mazul. I didn't pick them up while I was logged in with Julian, because I was afraid they would go into Julian's inventory, then she'd have to put them into the bank, yada yada yada. So I left them in the emails until Mazul logged in, then she picked them up. Mazul is excited to craft some good stuff for Julian, but she needs to get more researching done first. And it's frustrating that she can only research one trait at a time in each craft. Ugh.

Yay, book shopping! biggrin.gif You can use skill points to get perks in the equipment skills that let you research up to three items at a time. My researchers all have those perks, otherwise it would take forever. Once they finish all of their research they can re-spec their skill points at a shrine in one of the major cities, so no skill points are permanently wasted. You just have to pay gold at the shrine or buy a Crown "scroll" and your skill points are reset. You can do the same if you want to change your attribute (Magicka, Health, Stamina) distribution.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 16 2016, 01:31 AM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

Ditto all Grits said, especially sinking points into the ability to research more items than one at a time if you are going to get into crafting. When you have everything researched it is easy to reset your stats and get those skill points back to use in some other place.

On the "Stack all items" = it does work. I have been crafting and used some out of a stack of 200 mats; then did some refining and added some and not had them stack properly for some reason. Hitting that has fixed the issue. It only works if there are two stacks of the same item and both are under 200.

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Sep 15 2016, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 11 2016, 04:30 PM) *
So my "gifts" had to always be for new (lowest level) players only; which was fine, because they are usually the ones that need the boost and it is a nice "Welcome" to the game for them.

Several people gave me a nice gift of armor and weapons when I first started, so it is kind of a "Paying it back" for me, and I really enjoy it.

That was one of the things I really enjoy about ESO thus far: the unexpected acts of kindness from other players.

For me paying it forward is helping another solo player take on a boss if I see something going south.

I had a player unexpectedly resurrect Julian out of the blue when I was trying to kill Faolchu in the Glenumbra quest line. Unfortunately I didn't note the player's name (my adrenaline was too high after so many unsuccessful attempts) so I never did thank that player. Julian now carries around filled soul gems so she can do the same.

This is what made me fall in love with this game. Strangers passing by resurrected me till I gathered enough soul gems to keep myself resurrected. Then I started paying it back when out in the wilderness or in dungeons. (I don't resurrect people who get killed in town at all, they are dying for a lark or crime spree).

But people I didn't know from a trade guild I joined sent me armor, weapons, etc. People gave me lockpicks, recipes, motifs, etc. People resurrected me when I died - you can't beat that; can't find that in a single player game - or the hilarious antics on weekends in towns!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 16 2016, 04:19 AM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 15 2016, 07:31 PM) *

But people I didn't know from a trade guild I joined sent me armor, weapons, etc. People gave me lockpicks, recipes, motifs, etc. People resurrected me when I died - you can't beat that; can't find that in a single player game - or the hilarious antics on weekends in towns!

Ditto on the hilarious antics!

Geez, I saw some funny stuff going on, and some disturbing things too.

In Daggerfall, the NPC's around Crier Martine keep getting killed. I would arrive in town to find a pile of bodies in the town square.

OTOH, I did see one PC riding his horse in tight circles around another NPC who was reading his scroll (Map? Journal?). Made me think of Jerric and Darnand! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 16 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Sep 15 2016, 11:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 15 2016, 07:31 PM) *

Ditto on the hilarious antics!

Geez, I saw some funny stuff going on, and some disturbing things too.

In Daggerfall, the NPC's around Crier Martine keep getting killed. I would arrive in town to find a pile of bodies in the town square.

OTOH, I did see one PC riding his horse in tight circles around another NPC who was reading his scroll (Map? Journal?). Made me think of Jerric and Darnand! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I have noticed those bodies several times recently; really not sure if there is some achievement involved in that or what !!!! But I agree, it is eerie the way they are all lying in the same position and all facing the same direction, etc.

That is so funny about the horse! Daggerfall has some spectacular mage light shows on weekends; I have shots of some that were better than fireworks in RL!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 17 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #49

Master
Group Icon

I have actually seen PC's killing NPC's from time to time. I'm so new to this still that I'm not sure if this is a new fad or if it's something that has always happened.

Sometimes they are sneak attacks. A PC will sneak up on some nondescript NPC and kill her with an ambush attack. Other times it's a wizard type PC throwing lethal magic around and killing guards and civilians indiscriminately. I suspect those are the bodies you are seeing, mALX - you described the arrangement of bodies typical of a shock wave or blast wave type of event.

Okay, my next question. Both here and elsewhere I keep seeing references to "daily quests." Just what are those? Both Julian and Mazul need to level up before they can tackle the next quests in their stories. Mazul needs to learn how to make enchanted gear so she can forge up a set of heavy armor that will absorb magicka for her. She keeps getting killed by magicians.

Getting the style books to Mazul has helped tremendously. She was able to use up a lot of the style material that has been clogging the bank.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 17 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #50

Mouth
Group Icon

The sneak attacks are usually because people are doing contracts for the dark brotherhood. The not-so-sneaky attacks are just random violence that usually ends up with PCs being taken out by guards.

Daily quests are quests that one completes on a daily basis tongue.gif You find them on quest boards in DLC zones, and it'll either be a quest to clear a specific delve or take on a specific world boss. Completing them rewards players with top-end loot.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 17 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #51

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Sep 15 2016, 11:19 PM) *

That sounds like something Jerric would do to amuse himself while Darnand is distracted! laugh.gif

There are achievements for killing NPCs, so maybe players are going on murder sprees for that purpose. Plus now there's the Dark Brotherhood, and I don’t know what NPC deaths could be linked to those quests. I just wish the dead NPCs would disappear before their replacements respawn. I often see NPCs standing on top of their dead predecessors. Oh, and I've seen players slaughtering livestock, too. I guess everyone has their own kind of fun! ohmy.gif

The daily quests that Jerric does can be picked up from bulletin boards in specific locations, much like the boards that give you crafting writs. There is one in Anvil near where The Count's Arms will be in the times of the Oblivion Crisis, but on the other side of the circle. There is also a board in the Kvatch market square outside the bank. They send you to locations like world bosses and delves that you can reach on your own, but there are likely to be other players there to help since their quest also sent them there.

To level up some more before questing I'd suggest just walking around and checking out all of the locations that you find. Even go back through the ones you've already explored. Everything you kill in your level's area and above gives you experience, which levels you up. Also it helps to wear a piece or two of gear with the Training trait, even if it is not the best quality for your level. That gives you more experience per kill.

Lildereth ran into trouble because her adventuring is mostly about sneaking around and NOT killing things, which does not level you. She goes back through dungeons and such multiple times in her areas between quests.

EDIT: D'oh, ninja'd! biggrin.gif It takes me too long to post, lol.

This post has been edited by Grits: Sep 17 2016, 05:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 17 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

Okay, that makes sense about the random killings. I rather suspected they were related to the DB. Not likely to be something Julian or Mazul would get into. A different character in a different zone, though . . .

As for the daily quests, it looks like that won't be anything Julian or Mazul would be doing anytime soon. We haven't yet encountered or made any friends other than Buffy the Small or Bubba Khan, so group quests are more or less out for us.

But that's okay, because now Mazul has made it her personal mission to bash as many Lurchers, Red Rook Bandits and Bloodthorn Assassins as she can. It will help greatly with her leveling. As for Julian, she has a tendency to collect unfinished quests and get ahead of herself, so I'm hoping pausing daily to do the crafting writs will help her slow down and take her time.

Now it's time for me to head off to work. Day two of the iPhone 7 launch. Or should I call it 7-Day +1?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 17 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Sep 17 2016, 10:51 AM) *

Mazul needs to learn how to make enchanted gear so she can forge up a set of heavy armor that will absorb magicka for her. She keeps getting killed by magicians.

Outside of crafted "Sets" the only enchantments you can put on armor are bonuses to magicka; health; and stamina. You can (however) enchant your two rings and necklace with something that will shield you from spells to a certain percentage depending on your equipment level.

If you want the glyphs, I will make them for you and send them in the game mail; you can put them on any rings and necklaces you are wearing and they will work:

Right click on the item of jewelry; find "Enchant" on the drop down list. Click on it. A window will open up that shows available glyphs you can use on that item. Choose the glyph you want and click on it, then click on "Accept" or "Okay," whichever it says.

You can enchant them while equipped or while in your inventory. You can use any jewelry you pick up in a dungeon; but you want jewelry at the closest level to your character so you can get the more powerful leveled enchantments.

You have to have skill points in Enchanting to make the proper glyphs at any level higher than the base level (Base level is for equipment under level 10). Plus more skill points added to use the more powerful runes.

The Enchanting shops sell base level glyphs; but I can give you a more powerful glyph for your level than they will; or that you can make yourself at this point; (pending you growing up that skill).

Guild stores do have glyphs the same strength as I can make them, but they are costly; whereas I am free. If you want them, just PM me your character's levels and their ring and necklace levels and I don't mind making them at all.

On the armor "Sets" - they just require you "know" (have researched) a certain number of traits. The set I just made for Buffy required knowing 5 traits, but it shields her from a whopping amount of spells or physical damage.

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 17 2016, 06:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 17 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Sep 17 2016, 12:07 PM) *

The sneak attacks are usually because people are doing contracts for the dark brotherhood. The not-so-sneaky attacks are just random violence that usually ends up with PCs being taken out by guards.

Daily quests are quests that one completes on a daily basis tongue.gif You find them on quest boards in DLC zones, and it'll either be a quest to clear a specific delve or take on a specific world boss. Completing them rewards players with top-end loot.

I just noticed added to my Fighters Guild passive line an option to do daily quests - hopefully for loot or to grow up my Fighters Guild level. But you have to sink a skill point into it to get it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 17 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

Both Julian and Mazul need to level up before they can tackle the next quests in their stories.

Not a good idea; because when they level up, so will the enemy. If you are having trouble doing a quest, you need to build up your strength, not your levels. Good armor sets and spend some skill points in making your character stronger (find some sky shards and spend your points in your passives to toughen up your character). You should find one or two good defensive spells early on, then spend time building your passives up - they strengthen the character early on while the enemies are still lower level.

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 17 2016, 12:11 PM) *

That sounds like something Jerric would do to amuse himself while Darnand is distracted! laugh.gif

**Oh, and I've seen players slaughtering livestock, too. I guess everyone has their own kind of fun! ohmy.gif

My friend Aussie that I have played with this past year does that to me all the time, even on foot she runs figure 8's around Misa, laugh.gif

On the slaughtering livestock = that is an achievement, lol. There was an achievement like that on Betty Netches too that I refused to take part in, but now that they have put rawhide & grease in the netches ... well, I have started hunting them for their hides and grease, lol. (so finally did get that achievement)

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 17 2016, 07:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 17 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #56

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 17 2016, 07:15 PM) *

Both Julian and Mazul need to level up before they can tackle the next quests in their stories.

Not a good idea; because when they level up, so will the enemy.

Only if she's in DLC zones. Enemy levels stay the same in normal zones (until One Tamriel arrives) so over-levelling still works.

As for the Fighters Guild daily quests - They're in Cyrodiil and give rewards of gold and exp (normal xp and guild xp). Levelling your Fighters Guild skill is easy peasy - you just have to kill Daedra and undead.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 17 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Sep 17 2016, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 17 2016, 07:15 PM) *

Not a good idea; because when they level up, so will the enemy.

Only if she's in DLC zones. Enemy levels stay the same in normal zones (until One Tamriel arrives) so over-levelling still works.

As for the Fighters Guild daily quests - They're in Cyrodiil and give rewards of gold and exp (normal xp and guild xp). Levelling your Fighters Guild skill is easy peasy - you just have to kill Daedra and undead.

I wonder if it is worth the skill point, how much guild XP you will get as compared to just taking down Daedra in the Dolmans - because Misa and Calia both hit the Dolmans pretty hard; and Misa has every one for Ebonheart Pact and Cyrodiil and several numerous times - has completed the FG questline; plus uses the crossbow on both hot bars. Her Fighters Guild level seems stuck on 9.

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 17 2016, 08:15 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 17 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #58

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 17 2016, 08:14 PM) *

I wonder if it is worth the skill point, how much guild XP you will get as compared to just taking down Daedra in the Dolmans - because Misa and Calia both hit the Dolmans pretty hard; and Misa has every one for Ebonheart Pact and Cyrodiil and several numerous times - has completed the FG questline; plus uses the crossbow on both hot bars. Her Fighters Guild level seems stuck on 9.

Considering the daily quests take you into enemy territory in Cyrodiil, I'd say that they're not worth bothering with. Dolmens aren't too good, since there aren't that many enemies. Your best bet might just be to run around Coldharbour and kill everything in sight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 17 2016, 08:49 PM
Post #59

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Sep 17 2016, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 17 2016, 08:14 PM) *

Considering the daily quests take you into enemy territory in Cyrodiil, I'd say that they're not worth bothering with. Dolmens aren't too good, since there aren't that many enemies. Your best bet might just be to run around Coldharbour and kill everything in sight.

Oh, thank you! Misa can handle that, she farms up there a lot!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 18 2016, 03:52 AM
Post #60

Paladin
Group Icon

So Buffy had a technical problem today. She was fighting on the deck of a ship and used her knockback bow shot. Her morphed version of this not only knocks a foe away but pushes her back as well. A couple times we’ve had problems with this. If she is at the top of the stairs or on the edge of a cliff or surrounded by a lethal magical barrier of ‘touch me and you die’ then getting herself pushed back can be problematic.

Well, sure enough, she got pushed back into the interior of the ship – literally through the wall like a glitch of being stuck inside a rock and couldn’t get out! She tried the unstuck command but that was disallowed (combat). She exited the game but when she came back she was in the exact same spot. She couldn't find any way to damage herself enough to die. So I send a tech report to Zenimax and exited.

Talking with mALX about it here, she suggested that we both go in game and that I try traveling to her. We didn't know if that would work 'in combat' or not. Well, when I logged back in, Buffy was safely out of her predicament. I attributed that to a quick response by Zenimax to my report. Calia and Buffy did get to play some together, clearing a dungeon and closing a dark anchor together.

I was so unhappy with that knockback morph that I then went to Elden Root and respec’d her skills. She’s level 33 and it cost 3300 gold (likely 100 gold per level?). Anyway, the respec worked fine and her spare skill points went from 6 to 13. Regarding the knockback morph, we took the other option. This one still knocks back the targeted foe but heals you instead of pushing you away from the foe. We then tested the new morph in a dungeon and it works wonderfully. I’m much happier with that one.

Once back out of the game again I found a very nice e-mail waiting for me from Zenimax saying how they fixed Buffy’s stuck problem and that if things were not working okay to let them know. Very nice and I sent them a thank you e-mail.

So. . . somewhere in all this ramble is what I learned about the bow skill Scatter Shot - that the Draining Shot morph is much better for Buffy than the Magnum Shot. I also learned how respec works (very well). And finally, I was impressed by Zenimax customer support.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

44 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:39 AM