13 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Elder Scrolls Online: General Discussion
Dark Reaper
post Mar 27 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Saw a trailer for the next DLC of TESO called Summerset. Now the isle is in the standard game kinda but only a small island other wise you're playing in Valenwood and Elsweyr if you're playing as the Aldmeri Dominion.

--------------------
Live and let live.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Mar 27 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

The lower half of the main island was originally going to be part of the base game but it ended up being cut. tbqh the old stuff is the only reason I'm excited for Summerset--continuation of the Triad arc aside--even if the art direction for the main island is a massive disappointment.

(There's a good chance NONE of it will come back, too, which is worse IMO. There seem to be some hints of it in what little we saw of Artaeum, so there's that.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Mar 28 2018, 02:46 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Mar 27 2018, 03:00 PM) *

even if the art direction for the main island is a massive disappointment.

Kinda my feelings towards the Morrowind DLC, in some ways it feels like returning home only that someone has rearranged the furniture.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Apr 1 2018, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

I sort of liked the look of the buildings and interiors. It felt like the logical graphic evolution of what we saw in TES III. The exteriors and monster designs were a little weird, though, and I wish we got to see more interiors than what we got.

==

(rambling ahead, I feel dizzy so I might come back and clear things up later)

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a little wary of the direction the game has taken in the past year or two. Since the Gold Coast DLC I've been wondering whether we still have the same team from the base game. Most of the voice actors seem to have moved on (sigh, good bye Steve Blum), the writing feels a little different, and One Tamriel somewhat shook up what I really liked about ESO compared to the main series of games: linear storytelling.

Like, on one hand I love that you can just go do whatever you want whenever you want (for those of you that weren't there for it, be thankful that you didn't have to grind to the Vet levels to even set foot on Craglorn), but on the other I wish they made it so the story recognized that? I mean, continuity between zones wasn't exactly perfect before (no spoilers, but some of the PC's reactions in Eastmarch were MASSIVELY stupid and maybe OOC after Shadowfen's events), but a few throwaway lines or altered quests would be nice.

Of course, it's been that way since before I started. For example, certain quests in the base game will not react to your race when they would probably turn out differently, particularly with races outside of the alliance (example: Khajiit in Stonefalls), a consequence of adding the Any Race Any Alliance upgrade without changing the game (and later, Cadwell's Silver/Gold, followed by One Tamriel, nothing having changed with either one)

I realize there probably isn't much money in it, but they should really overhaul the base game.

Then there's the character interactions themselves. The way the recent Chapters/DLC work, you can do them in any order in spite of having characters that show up elsewhere. For the most part, they seem to react to you having met them before, even if there are some issues with it (Orsinium characters will act as if you were with them in all encounters if you've only ever done one). This is probably a good counterpoint to my desire for continuity. There's a good chance that there will not be many meaningful changes between the dlc/chapters for recurring characters in the future, because if someone, say, died in a new DLC, how would they account for that if you didn't meet them in previous appearances? They don't seem to be willing to pretend like it hasn't happened yet in newer content, and they're not willing to lock the story into a certain linear path, so what we'll get is short, low-stakes cameos, and meaningful but one-shot characters that'll be forgotten by the next storyline.

There is some promise, though, even if the "timeline" is a bit disjointed. Naryu Virian's "story" seems to be progressing since the Gold Coast DLC, which is good in spite of me really hating the Sweetroll Killer quest because of the way the character interactions were written. Then there's (AVOIDING SPOILERS HERE) the promise of a plot thread left dangling SINCE THE GODDAMN BASE GAME IN SPITE OF ALL THE TEASING that'll finally be brought back up again in Summerset.

If they go the route they've been on, then I doubt there will be any meaningful payoff, especially for one particular character. There's the implication that Summerset will be a turning point in the story, so maybe I'm wrong. I hope i'm wrong.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Apr 10 2018, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

The UESP's Summerset Interview with Matt & Rich

Dunno whether this belonged here or in the "Here Is the News Topic" but I thought it fit here better. I'm not done reading it (and I'll get to the rest later) but uh...I went from 100 to 0 real quick when they got to talking about Summerset's design and lore.

Matt Firor: So I don't have to tell you guys this, but the lore – maybe some of your readers will know this – but the lore in Elder Scrolls is never definitive, it’s always told through the eyes of people that live in the world, which gives developers – not just us, but everyone that works on Elder Scrolls – certain leeway to kind of find what that person meant when they were telling the story. We used every piece of lore that we could find for Summerset, but a lot of it contradicted itself, so we found the path that we wanted to take and went from there. We're building on top of a foundation like we always do, but I think we came up with a really good direction. I don't think anyone will be shocked at any of the decisions we made if they know the lore. They'll go "okay, yeah, great, awesome!".

Uhh...okay I'm gonna hold you to that, but then

Alarra: So kind of related to that, there's been a lot of talk among fans about how what we've seen of it doesn't really match, necessarily, how it's been described - like Alinor's buildings looking like insect wings? Is that a matter of just, it's hard to reflect that in the gameplay, or was that a deliberate design choice, or is it the unreliable narrator?

Matt Firor:Yeah, you mean picking certain lorebooks, cities looked a certain way, but they're not definitive, so, you know… I think Elder Scrolls is, at its heart – and Todd Howard says this all the time – if magic left Tamriel, no one would notice, because it's very mundane at its heart.

If this is actually something he said, then I want to kick Todd Bethesda Coward in the Teeth. Because if there's one thing the games have consistently shown is that the complete opposite is true.

It's like, there's poor Altmer pig farmers, like, it's not like the high elves are better than anyone else, they're just different, right? They’re not like the super race, or they would’ve been able to control all of Tamriel. They have their own thing going, and so they can't be that much more advanced than everyone else. It just doesn't make sense in the lore. So with that in mind, that’s how we came up with the architecture for them.

First point about the poor farmers? Sure, that's true no matter where you go in Tamriel. But these are the Altmer. This is same nation that Tiber Septim had to use a goddang Giant Stompy Robot to conquer and the same nation that currently threatens the whole of Tamriel in the 4th Era. The same nation that apparently almost beat the Redguards during the Great War if it weren't for a Hero stopping them. (According to Legends, anyways, lmao) At the very least their capital should reflect their power and sophistication and not look like a fricking Breton City. Why would they come up with something that lines up to the high opinion that they hold of themselves and then throw it all away for something so goddamn terrible?

Before the Altmer's haughtiness and close-mindedness made sense, since they were the most magically advanced culture on Tamriel and were literally connected to their island through Magicka pulled directly from the Planets and stars. Now they're just insufferable fops with no redeeming qualities to their culture. Even if all of this was justified, did they have to go with the most painfully European architecture? Is that what we're doing now? Turning all of Tamriel into Europe? And here I thought Zenimax was above this, given their track record with the game so far.

Like, idk, these are the same assholes that misled everyone on the undead dragon in the Dragon Bones DLC dungeons (one of them claimed that the Dragon didn't get a soul from Alduin in spite of the DLC making no such claim), so maybe I really should wait and see what Summerset has before I judge, but uh

I'm not liking the implication that this is 100% what Bethesda wanted. Especially after the alleged quote from Todd Howard.

I'm still looking forward to the continuation of the story, but consider my interest in Summerset itself dead.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Apr 10 2018, 09:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Apr 10 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

baratron: Where are the centaurs?

Matt Firor: Were they even in the lore?

(Alarra, baratron, Shifty answer at the same time that they appeared in Daggerfall and Legends)

Wicked_Shifty: They were in the game Daggerfall, so they should have been in Wrothgar and all over there.

Matt Firor: I'll take that under advisement.

Yeah, I don't think this guy should be allowed to talk about the lore. (I'm pretty sure it's the same dolt that caused a huge misunderstanding for Dragon Bones)

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 10 2018, 08:13 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

I don't want centaurs, I want nymphs. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 10 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Paladin
Group Icon

Already have nymphs (Bosmer). Hee! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Apr 11 2018, 12:32 AM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

For some reason I imagined the Fable series' Nymphs and suddenly thought of children-based monsters. Already in the games but they're unkillable. :v

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 11 2018, 01:59 AM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

Matt Firor:Yeah, you mean picking certain lorebooks, cities looked a certain way, but they're not definitive, so, you know… I think Elder Scrolls is, at its heart – and Todd Howard says this all the time – if magic left Tamriel, no one would notice, because it's very mundane at its heart.

Indeed people would notice Mr. Howard. The fans noticed that Skyrim’s magicka gameplay, either by happenstance or design, was severely limited. This quote is very scary, especially when you look at Skyrim’s magicka gameplay. Now, maybe Khajiit is just being an alarmist, but is Bethesda signaling that they are trying to get rid of magicka in TES going forward and turn future TES titles into a low fantasy hack and slash/hiking simulator?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Apr 11 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

That's...pretty disappointing what Firor had to say in that interview. While he has a point about the lore's malleability, at some point a line has to be drawn. You can't just do whatever you want just because of the interpretative aspects of lore. And I'm someone who supported the change in Cyrodiil's environment from how it was described initially.

From what I have seen of Summerset, I am also fairly disappointed. I was hoping for more distinctly Altmer architecture. Give me some crystal and coral structures, for Arkay's sake. There's very little of that, from what I have seen. Crystal Tower's design isn't particularly impressive to me either, to be honest. Granted, I haven't really looked into all of the promotional stuff for Summerset and it is going to be a long while before I play it (or the Morrowind expansion, for that matter). But still, can't say I'm a big fan of some decisions.

Speaking of centaurs, though, I really do want to see some more old-school TES monsters make a comeback. Give me some lizard men PLEASE, Zenimax.

I have some more thoughts, but that'll have to wait for later.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Apr 11 2018, 03:27 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 11 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #12

Paladin
Group Icon

Heh, I hope Summerset is like a big beautiful Auridon. Pink trees, relaxing sunsets by the beach, beautiful music. . . . happy.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Apr 11 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

In the end I don't think Matt Firor is someone they should be consulting about this sort of thing (see: the Centaur part) and I'll still be holding out hope that Summerset is like the rest of ESO where the quest lore is a lot better than what even Skyrim had, but holy wow.
I would have preferred Auridon's style architecture over this, as pretty as it is. At least it's consistent to elven motifs and architecture, whereas this is, as I keep repeating, suited better for High Rock.

And again, don't get me wrong, I think it's absolutely stunning. What little I got to see of the island from the streams and previews looks fantastic, it's just not Altmeri.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 13 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

So, I've got some questions for the ESO vets here. smile.gif

Need some advice for a noobie.... Trying to decipher classes and skills at UESP is frustrating, since I'm not too familiar with the game. What is the best class/skill combo to go with for a 2h, medium or heavy armor build?

I'm either going with that setup, or a tank.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 13 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

None. It seems the game doesn't actually want anyone to play 2-handed.
  • Sword+board, with bow for range, makes you a tank, and dictates the class, armour etc. from there.
  • DPS gets channeled two ways - dual-wield melee, or pure mage.
  • Healer builds still confuse me, and others need to chime in, but they're using magic most of the time.
I've been playing Unna Bear-Rider as 2-handed, and she gets no support from the level-up advisor, which keeps telling her she needs dual-wield and bow skills. I switched her from heavy to medium armour, as only tanks benefit from heavy, and all the tank skills are in the sword+board skill line. I'm still looking for the best mix of damage skills for a 2-hander, but it's going to fall well short of what other styles can do.

But don't worry - at level 43 (I think), you get scrolls to let you re-spec the character you like into one the game likes.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jun 13 2018, 02:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 13 2018, 02:27 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Interesting, I've been reading that about 2h'ers elsewhere, which is a shame. (I love that style.)

Sounds like I will be tanking, since I prefer to solo and will do a lot of exploring!

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 13 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

Hi Kane! biggrin.gif

I have had a lot of fun with Elke, my stam-sorc. She uses two-handed and bow. Good all around for solo play.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 13 2018, 02:51 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

That's encouraging! Thanks Gritsy. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 14 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Do y'all play on PC or are there some consolers here?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jun 14 2018, 02:22 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

I get the impression that most, if not all, play on PC, but some also have a console. Pretty sure Grits has both.

And since you can play eight characters without purchasing extra slots, most of us have at least one character that goes against the grain, just for the times when you want to be completely different.

I made several characters early on, tried a few builds, and re-spec'ed (or not) later. My opinion is that the build you need to use for solo play while learning the game won't be the end-game spec the level-up advisor etc. recommend. It will have a broader mix of skills, as you need to fulfil all the roles for the solo parts.

But then you find your DPS build has skills that taunt when you don't want to, and have to swap them out, or become a tank. Or you need to swap from having a high pool of an attribute to an ability to regenerate it, so the points can go into a different one. More likely, is that you won't have enough slots of equipment or skills to get the combination effects, and will have to simplify. There are a lot of things that get boosts "when 5 heavy pieces worn" or "per guild skill slotted" making the specialist builds mandatory.

So build what you want to play to start with, and expect to change later. Since ZOS regularly make "balance changes" you might chance on the new must-have build.

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:42 AM