4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Summerset Chapter Topic, Chapter 2's Spoilery Discussion
ghastley
post May 7 2018, 03:08 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

It looks like the only way to test jewel crafting fully is with a template character (to get the levels and mats) plus using a large number of cheap research scrolls to bypass the long research times. It's still a grind doing it all the fast way, so I've abandoned trying to check out a 2H+jewels set for Unna. The grind does at least mean that jewel sets will phase in on live slowly, as nobody will be able to short-circuit that process. The materials may be in high demand by those who want to do that, and farmers will be selling.

With only a few other characters around, the Abyssal Geysers are too much, especially to solo, and I haven't been able to check out how they reward you.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 7 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

Huh, did the character not start with all traits researched already? They're supposed to, at least those made after the recent PTS patch. EDIT: The patch before today's, at least.

But anyways, Jewelry Crafting is pretty much like any of the other equipment crafts and I wouldn't worry about how long it will take to level, but I think where the grind comes in is with the Plates used for upgrading.

At only a tenth of the rate of what the other three drop tannins, I don't see too many people being enthusiastic about actually crafting new jewelry, or at the very least it'll be far more precious and rare than equipment crafts. Not to mention that Master Jewelry Writs are practically worthless for the amount of vouchers they drop. Unless they multiply the vouchers rewarded by 10 to accommodate the grind needed for those Platings, I see myself tossing them into the shredder even if I'm going all in with the craft. :v

Anyways, I agree about the geysers. Jo'zira attempted to solo one and he ended up chipping away at the boss' health for a long time until a small group came and helped finish it off. He's a magicka sorcerer. It was not fun. (The rewards are more or less like Dolmens, iirc, but then I only did one)

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: May 7 2018, 08:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 13 2018, 04:30 AM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

Decided to test how "sustainable" Jewelry Writs are without having to farm for ounces. Right off the bat I was one Pewter Ounce short of fulfilling the writ. Luckily I found a necklace to deconstruct quickly. Gonna give it a week and see how that goes, though I suspect it won't be too much different than the other crafts.

Not to mention that once it goes live, I'll have at least 7 characters leveling the skill, with the Crafting Monkey and Ruben prioritized as far as intricates and traits go. Chances are I'll have more Pewter than I'll know what to do with, and since all but one of those 7 are already cp160, I'll also have a lot of Platinum before I can even use it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 14 2018, 11:37 PM
Post #24

Mouth
Group Icon

New Login Music :0

(I still miss the original)

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ May 12 2018, 10:30 PM) *

Decided to test how "sustainable" Jewelry Writs are without having to farm for ounces. Right off the bat I was one Pewter Ounce short of fulfilling the writ. Luckily I found a necklace to deconstruct quickly. Gonna give it a week and see how that goes, though I suspect it won't be too much different than the other crafts.

Not to mention that once it goes live, I'll have at least 7 characters leveling the skill, with the Crafting Monkey and Ruben prioritized as far as intricates and traits go. Chances are I'll have more Pewter than I'll know what to do with, and since all but one of those 7 are already cp160, I'll also have a lot of Platinum before I can even use it.

So unlike the other equipment crafts, Jewelry Writs only reward 5 Ounces in the shipments which might be a problem, particularly with the "Craft 3 Rings" writ, since it uses up 6 Pewter Ounces in total. Guess I'll have to seek out seams after all. :T (I'm trying to save Surveys for the higher leveled ones)

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: May 15 2018, 01:50 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 15 2018, 03:44 AM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ May 14 2018, 06:37 PM) *

So unlike the other equipment crafts, Jewelry Writs only reward 5 Ounces in the shipments which might be a problem, particularly with the "Craft 3 Rings" writ, since it uses up 6 Pewter Ounces in total. Guess I'll have to seek out seams after all. :T (I'm trying to save Surveys for the higher leveled ones)

That's about the same ratio as the low-level clothing writs which use up 30 Jute and give back 25, so it's not to surprising. I don't recall what was said about the Master Writs, but the platings are a grind collecting 10 powder to make one unit, and then needing multiples each time to upgrade. Plus the trait research. At least there are no styles for jewelry.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 15 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #26

Mouth
Group Icon

Master Writs don't take into account how much of a grind it is to get platings, which is why I said that they aren't worth anything unless they either increase the voucher yield or increase plating drops. (A purple piece of jewelry is currently only 5 vouchers, for example)

But anyways, I guess deconstruction will have to fill in for the extra ounces needed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 15 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

The imponderable question is how much the 10 powder = 1 stone mechanism for both traits and improvement offsets the lack of motif/style and the (one-off) grind to obtain those. Since the former need to be repeated for each unit, I suspect it will be much worse, and ZOS will rethink it, like they did for the page fragments overkill. Glass had the double composite situation, and they changed their minds for that case.

10 raw = 7-10 refined would have fit better with existing cases - wood, ore, fibres, hides and style mats all work with those proportions.

I don't recall if deconstructing jewelry returns whole units, but I don't think I've ever deconstructed anything that had a refined style material as a comparison case. I would hope they work the same way.

This post has been edited by ghastley: May 15 2018, 08:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 20 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #28

Mouth
Group Icon

I guess there IS the style to consider, isn't there? We'll have to see how the market settles on this, or maybe rely on the voucher exchange rate to determine whether Jewelry writs are "worth" it. (Currently at around 500 gold per voucher). At least, that's how I decide whether I want to make or sell Master Writs. If the crafting cost goes above the voucher cost, it's garbage.

Deconstructing jewelry returns whole Ounces--normally one Ounce unless it's Intricate. Traits and platings come back as those 1/10 dust thingamajigs. :T (At least, I recall them saying trait stones come back as the dust) So I think that sort of offsets the omission of crafting styles needed for the other equipment writs. Ugh. No matter how I look at it, Master Jewelry Writs are not appealing. Maybe it's best to hang onto them for the first few months.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 20 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #29

Mouth
Group Icon

So anyways, tomorrow's the big day. :U

I'm incorrigible, so of course I'm going to be trying everything out ASAP instead of waiting it out in case horrible, horrible bugs happen. Like the storage bug. Then again, Morrowind's launch was relatively smooth. Maybe I should just be careful.

But either way, I'm so flipping ready for this. Always ready for more story content, although I'm still not sure if this will be my original Squad's last. A lot of points left hanging since the end of the main quest are finally being...well, probably not tied up but they're at least being acknowledged so. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but during the lore podcast when asked whether Summerset will be the end of the Triad Arc, the writer initially answered "yes", then added that it won't really "end" things so much as it will start something new. So yeah. lol

From what little I've seen and even before, I sort of knew this would be a Jo'zira and Eolan "episode", though mostly Jo'zira. Especially after the whole "I'm going to assert myself as an individual and go against my master's wishes to bring back the person my existence overwrote" thing, it will be an opportunity for growth. That and both of them were put in the background for the Clockwork City where it was Hates and Fjotreid's "episode". (There was even a sibling rivalry quest to mirror theirs.)

idk, i'm excite

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 21 2018, 01:23 AM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm actually more excited by the prospect of getting the Morrowind zone and content. I can do without a Warden, but the DLC part will be all new to me, and Unna could use the extra skyshards, too.

I'll probably add Minx, a new Dunmer character, tomorrow. That name is taken, so she'll be "of Morrowind" or similar. Maybe a Templar, as I only have one so far, and I'll let the level-up advisor guide her build, just to see how that turns out. The original in Oblivion was an NPC, who developed a bit in Clark's story and became the Thieves' Guildmaster, so she ought to be a thief in ESO. Does that work with Templar, or does she have to be an NB to be able to sneak?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 21 2018, 02:25 AM
Post #31

Paladin
Group Icon

A Nightblade has a spell to briefly go invisible. Bosmer and Khajiit have a racial passive to reduce stealth detection radius by 3M.

Though I have not done the TG, Buffy (both sorc and templar) sneak just fine and are quite adept at stealing beets, tomatoes and such - often under the noses of merchants.

As I said, I've not done the TG but I certainly would not hesitate to try it with a Bosmer templar.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 21 2018, 03:34 AM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

I'd say Nightblades are "easy mode" Thieves Guild, yeah, since they have the invisibility spell, but any class can fill the sneak thief role otherwise.

My Crafting Monkey Dravean is Dark Brotherhood, and its quests are basically Thieves Guild but with murder at some point. He does okay as a Dragonknight sneak assassin, and where Hates would spam the Cloak and Double Take at any opportunity to get by quickly, he finds that it's rare to absolutely need an invisibility potion.

Of course this is about the daily Heists/Sacraments, where remaining undetected at all times is key. Anyone in Medium Armor can easily get by in regular overland areas. (That said, some of the newer DLCs/Chapters added Thieves Guild-style sneaking where being detected while trespassing will add to your bounty.)

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: May 21 2018, 03:39 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 21 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #33

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, 'twas a big upload/update. Took some time to sort through much of the new stuff. As magplar healer and magsorc dps, Buffy notes the changes to her performance are not significant. Same for Acadian the DK tank. It is when Buffy grabs her bows (bow/bow stamsorc) that the changes are notable. Between the changes to light/heavy attacks and sorc bound armor, her light attacks hit like an angry orc on skooma - a significant dps boost.

Will approach the possibilities provided by bows/staves counting as two slots and jewelry crafting slowly and with much thought. Just as well since it will take some time to build up the craft and garner the new mats.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 21 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ May 20 2018, 05:07 PM) *

I guess there IS the style to consider, isn't there? We'll have to see how the market settles on this, or maybe rely on the voucher exchange rate to determine whether Jewelry writs are "worth" it. (Currently at around 500 gold per voucher). At least, that's how I decide whether I want to make or sell Master Writs. If the crafting cost goes above the voucher cost, it's garbage.

Deconstructing jewelry returns whole Ounces--normally one Ounce unless it's Intricate. Traits and platings come back as those 1/10 dust thingamajigs. :T (At least, I recall them saying trait stones come back as the dust) So I think that sort of offsets the omission of crafting styles needed for the other equipment writs. Ugh. No matter how I look at it, Master Jewelry Writs are not appealing. Maybe it's best to hang onto them for the first few months.

Ooh, thank you so much for these tips!!!

I'm level 3 in jewelry crafting so far just by reading books.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 22 2018, 12:33 AM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

Jerric got his entire crew certified in jewelry crafting, though only a few of them plan to actually use the skill. Using the Alinor inn room and their mail box furnishing storage, they were able to build up a small stock of pewter from the certification quest without the craft bag interfering. The certification quest takes you from 0 to 2 in the skill line, which is high enough to pick up the first Keen Eye passive. The jewelers are going to try raising their skill level without increasing their passive levels to avoid the huge pain of juggling different tier materials that they don’t need for anything but writs.

Darnand got a kind of wrinkly wizard hat out of their free Crown Crate. He loves that he can store a spare quill in the band.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post May 22 2018, 01:02 AM
Post #36

Mouth
Group Icon

So i'm a flipping goblin and basically did everything as soon as I was able.

When I got on I immediately attuned the stations like I said I would and set them up. Then I got everyone certified in Jewelry Crafting, including the throwaway crafting character I made for the Anniversary Event. I got the Crafting Monkey and Ruben researching jewelry, but I don't know if I'm going to make a special effort to level the skill. Apparently some people already power-leveled it. :v

After that, I got Jo'zira started in the main quest, mostly so he could unlock the Psijiic Skill line. I completely forgot how time consuming sealing the rifts was, and I plan to do this for Fjotreid and the Crafting Monkey.

From there, I guess it's just Dailies for the Sapiarch motif. Though I was anticipating the main quest, I don't think I'm going to get through it very quickly this time around. I made the small house in Alinor into the Squad's dormitory. There isn't much space for anything other than beds, and the townhouse probably won't be available until much later. But I guess it serves its purpose.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 22 2018, 03:22 AM
Post #37

Paladin
Group Icon

Hey Grits, that new hat Jerric has looks like an excellent fishing hat. wink.gif

Edit: *Slaps, forehead* I mean the hat Darnand is wearing would make for a great Jerric fishing hat.

This post has been edited by Acadian: May 23 2018, 12:12 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 23 2018, 04:29 AM
Post #38

Councilor
Group Icon

I was surprised to find pewter and platinum nodes today, even without having the chapter. I can't do anything with the material, of course. I was expecting it would behave like the other metal ores, and only be available when you could use it, but I suppose it's the 50% at playing level.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 23 2018, 04:54 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ May 21 2018, 07:33 PM) *

Darnand got a kind of wrinkly wizard hat out of their free Crown Crate. He loves that he can store a spare quill in the band.

Darnand looks like he stepped out of Harry Potter in that hat and with that fancy staff!

QUOTE(ghastley @ May 22 2018, 11:29 PM) *

I was surprised to find pewter and platinum nodes today, even without having the chapter. I can't do anything with the material, of course. I was expecting it would behave like the other metal ores, and only be available when you could use it, but I suppose it's the 50% at playing level.

If you can pick up the node, maybe you can sell them? I think people who farm those nodes are going to get very wealthy.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 23 2018, 04:53 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 23 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ May 22 2018, 11:54 PM) *

If you can pick up the node, maybe you can sell them? I think people who farm those nodes are going to get very wealthy.

Yes, but it will be because the other material it displaced goes up in price. What it's meaning to us is that we're not getting as much ore. At least we're currently only running low on hides (and jute) which aren't affected by this.
QUOTE(Grits @ May 21 2018, 07:33 PM) *

I like that hat, too, but if I had it, I'd want to build a Rincewind character, and a Conina, just like in Skyrim. What's the META build for a hairdresser?

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:04 AM