Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lore discussion
monkeyemoness
post Feb 6 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Loremaster Lawrence Schick is moving to Ireland and thus leaving the ESO Team

Gonna miss him tbh, and whoever replaces him has some big shoes to fill. Or else.

IPB Image

EDIT: Oh, his successor wrote a good chunk of the Clockwork City! Okay, I'm not worried at all.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Feb 7 2019, 05:54 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 8 2019, 05:54 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 6 2019, 05:13 PM) *

Loremaster Lawrence Schick is moving to Ireland and thus leaving the ESO Team

Gonna miss him tbh, and whoever replaces him has some big shoes to fill. Or else.

IPB Image

EDIT: Oh, his successor wrote a good chunk of the Clockwork City! Okay, I'm not worried at all.

Aw verysad.gif

Reading this made me think of Michael Kirkbride; and how long it has been since we have heard his spouting of Lore. He has written something about the 5th Era; which makes me wonder if that will be the timing of the next Elder Scrolls game! Here is an excerpt from that story:

https://www.c0da.es/t/loveletter

Oh how I miss when these Devs used to get into big Lore discussions with their fans!

We love you Michael Kirkbride and Lawrence Schick!

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 8 2019, 06:00 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 8 2019, 11:36 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 7 2019, 10:54 PM) *

We love you Michael Kirkbride

I don't!

To deny that he made some amazing contributions to TES lore and set it apart from every cookie-cutter fantasy setting out there (or at the very least, uplifted it from its DnD homebrew origins), would be very stupid. He also stuck adamantly to the "open source" aspect of TES lore, as Schick did too, which I also appreciate and love.

But on the other hand his writing eventually became more deranged and nonsensical, his woman characters come in only two settings, those being "Mom" or "Whore", or both at once (his take on Almalexia), he has a creepy fixation on "intersex=divine", he LOVES to use sexual violence in his writing, and his interactions with the fandom can easily be described as abusive and monstrous (but this isn't the place for that discussion).

A while back he decided to bow out of the TES fandom, to everyone's benefit. Zenimax/Bethesda, to their credit, DO incorporate some of his better work done outside of their, hm, supervision, so at least there's that. (C0DA was actually referenced in Morrowind and the Clockwork City, actually)

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Feb 8 2019, 11:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 9 2019, 06:53 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 8 2019, 05:36 PM) *

I don't!

To deny that he made some amazing contributions to TES lore and set it apart from every cookie-cutter fantasy setting out there (or at the very least, uplifted it from its DnD homebrew origins), would be very stupid. He also stuck adamantly to the "open source" aspect of TES lore, as Schick did too, which I also appreciate and love.

But on the other hand his writing eventually became more deranged and nonsensical, his woman characters come in only two settings, those being "Mom" or "Whore", or both at once (his take on Almalexia), he has a creepy fixation on "intersex=divine", he LOVES to use sexual violence in his writing, and his interactions with the fandom can easily be described as abusive and monstrous (but this isn't the place for that discussion).

A while back he decided to bow out of the TES fandom, to everyone's benefit. Zenimax/Bethesda, to their credit, DO incorporate some of his better work done outside of their, hm, supervision, so at least there's that. (C0DA was actually referenced in Morrowind and the Clockwork City, actually)

BOLD: I do have to agree with you on this; his writings on the Imperial Library and the Lore section of the Bethesda Official Forums were beginning to show that before he "disappeared." But for what he did before that; I have to give him credit and homage. He was never abusive (that I saw) on the Imperial Library forums; he was kind of worshiped by all there = wouldn't have been if he'd been obnoxious without reason.

I found some odd sexual stories going on in the older TES stories = rape, (Molag Bal) incest, (6th House/Poison Song) promiscuity, (Barenziah) or just plain weird stuff (like King Hrol with a mound of dirt he thought was Alessia on the site that later became Sancre Tor and supposedly produced Reman 1 thirty years later) etc. - but all that was in the Lore long before Michael Kirkbride started fraying at the edges struggling to retain the threads of the more complex aspects of the Lore he created and developed.

Also = can't even talk about TES without thinking of Ted Peterson. wub.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 9 2019, 07:12 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 9 2019, 07:53 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 8 2019, 11:53 PM) *

I don't!

BOLD: I do have to agree with you on this; his writings on the Imperial Library and the Lore section of the Bethesda Official Forums were beginning to show that before he "disappeared." But for what he did before that; I have to give him credit and homage. He was never abusive (that I saw) on the Imperial Library forums; he was kind of worshiped by all there = wouldn't have been if he'd been obnoxious without reason.

I found some odd sexual stories going on in the older TES stories = rape, (Molag Bal) incest, (6th House/Poison Song) promiscuity, (Barenziah) or just plain weird stuff (like King Hrol with a mound of dirt he thought was Alessia on the site that later became Sancre Tor and supposedly produced Reman 1 thirty years later) etc. - but all that was in the Lore long before Michael Kirkbride started fraying at the edges struggling to retain the threads of the more complex aspects of the Lore he created and developed.

I wrote several paragraphs documenting a lot of his, uh, questionable behavior but thought it was best to not bring that in here lol.

But yeah, Ted Petersen's another good one lol

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 9 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 9 2019, 01:53 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 8 2019, 11:53 PM) *

I don't!

I wrote several paragraphs documenting a lot of his, uh, questionable behavior but thought it was best to not bring that in here lol.

But yeah, Ted Petersen's another good one lol

I never followed him anywhere but the Official Bethesda Forums and the Imperial Library = Lore discussions; where he was kind of the "Guru" since a lot of it sprang from his mind originally. But towards the later years some of his explanations began to become convoluted sounding and so thick to wade through that I kind of started dropping back and using the original texts instead of the discussions. (My own interpretations might never be as knowledgeable as his answers; but were easier to come to a conclusion on). That said; if he answered a question I still felt compelled to read it. Sometimes his answers were canon; or you could decipher where Lore started to disintegrate.

Truthfully = I had begun to wonder if he had early onset Alzheimer's or was drinking/on meds (or maybe needed to get back on some meds, lol).

I didn't know he RP'd! Did you RP with him or come across it? From what you've said, his behavior on that RP = Wow! That kind of makes me wonder what the heck is going on with him behind the scenes? I mean...I was joking about needing to get back on meds, but ... really does sound like something isn't right. Maybe that is what caused the separation with Bethesda.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 10 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While the metaphysical intricacies were interest at least, there was some strange content in his writing. While I personally don’t shy away from heavier content, I don’t “worship” it the least or dwell too much on the sexual violent stuff. I honestly found the whole Azura/spear/throat/explosion quite absurd. Insanely absurd! There was also mention of Vivec and Molag Bal and some odd stuff happening between them. Could be metaphorical but some lore experts actually believe it “happened” in lore.

Kirkbride is a strange one.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 10 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Feb 10 2019, 09:06 AM) *

I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While the metaphysical intricacies were interest at least, there was some strange content in his writing. While I personally don’t shy away from heavier content, I don’t “worship” it the least or dwell too much on the sexual violent stuff. I honestly found the whole Azura/spear/throat/explosion quite absurd. Insanely absurd! There was also mention of Vivec and Molag Bal and some odd stuff happening between them. Could be metaphorical but some lore experts actually believe it “happened” in lore.

Did you see that too? I haven't seen it yet. Hmmm.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 10 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 9 2019, 10:04 AM) *

I didn't know he RP'd! Did you RP with him or come across it? From what you've said, his behavior on that RP = Wow! That kind of makes me wonder what the heck is going on with him behind the scenes? I mean...I was joking about needing to get back on meds, but ... really does sound like something isn't right. Maybe that is what caused the separation with Bethesda.

Back in The Old Days the devs would occasionally start threads where they talked in-character that added to the overall body of lore (I might be mistaken but "The Posting of the Hunt" lore book might have started out as such a thread)

There are also others like Vivec's meetings with various figures, and the final volume of Vivec's Sermon (which made it into ESO). For the most part I just lurked the lore forums and such when I started getting into MK's stuff. Needless to say, it wasn't long before my opinion of him started to change for the worse.

I personally witnessed one of his petty jabs at a forum goer through writing unfold in real time in a thread concerning his vision on Morrowind's playable characters. I vividly remember this because it was pretty much the turning point for me lol. Although things WERE building up constantly before that point, seeing his knee-jerk reaction to criticism and to "otherkin" being brought up along with seeing good chunk of people defending his pettiness as the "natural" reaction (because he also did it to them) turned me off to the lore community as a whole.

It was only long after that that I learned he took things too far, particularly that he made violent threats against others on facebook, at least. (I have screenshots but i rather not link to them)

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Feb 10 2019, 08:06 AM) *

There was also mention of Vivec and Molag Bal and some odd stuff happening between them. Could be metaphorical but some lore experts actually believe it “happened” in lore.

It did, if one of their children showing up in ESO is any indication. The fact that the spear Vivec "acquired" during that assault is an anagram of "trauma" kinda makes the context of the Azura thing a LOT darker and in retrospect makes the scene a LOT worse now. That his fans play up the scene with Molag Bal as something humorous (even though, symbolically, Vivec was DISSOCIATING FROM THE TRAUMA DURING THE ENTIRE THING) just takes it to another level.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 11 2019, 07:07 AM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 10 2019, 03:53 PM) *

Back in The Old Days the devs would occasionally start threads where they talked in-character that added to the overall body of lore (I might be mistaken but "The Posting of the Hunt" lore book might have started out as such a thread)

There are also others like Vivec's meetings with various figures, and the final volume of Vivec's Sermon (which made it into ESO). For the most part I just lurked the lore forums and such when I started getting into MK's stuff. Needless to say, it wasn't long before my opinion of him started to change for the worse.

I personally witnessed one of his petty jabs at a forum goer through writing unfold in real time in a thread concerning his vision on Morrowind's playable characters. I vividly remember this because it was pretty much the turning point for me lol. Although things WERE building up constantly before that point, seeing his knee-jerk reaction to criticism and to "otherkin" being brought up along with seeing good chunk of people defending his pettiness as the "natural" reaction (because he also did it to them) turned me off to the lore community as a whole.

It was only long after that that I learned he took things too far, particularly that he made violent threats against others on facebook, at least. (I have screenshots but i rather not link to them)

There was also mention of Vivec and Molag Bal and some odd stuff happening between them. Could be metaphorical but some lore experts actually believe it “happened” in lore.

It did, if one of their children showing up in ESO is any indication. The fact that the spear Vivec "acquired" during that assault is an anagram of "trauma" kinda makes the context of the Azura thing a LOT darker and in retrospect makes the scene a LOT worse now. That his fans play up the scene with Molag Bal as something humorous (even though, symbolically, Vivec was DISSOCIATING FROM THE TRAUMA DURING THE ENTIRE THING) just takes it to another level.

I used to lurk on the Lore section of the Official Bethesda forums too; just either missed all that going on or maybe it all just went over my head, lol. How strange!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 11 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 10 2019, 08:35 PM) *

Yeah I’ve seen it awhile back in the forums.

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 10 2019, 09:53 PM) *

It did? Well, that’s unsettling. I understand Elder Scrolls lore can be humorous just as it can be disturbing but that’s pretty wild. I remember the Vivec part making it into lore in his sermons, yeah but I struggled to find the Azura one again. With our current loremaster leaving ESO, I wonder who will come in and fill in the shoes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 11 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Feb 11 2019, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 10 2019, 08:35 PM) *

Yeah I’ve seen it awhile back in the forums.

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 10 2019, 09:53 PM) *

It did? Well, that’s unsettling. I understand Elder Scrolls lore can be humorous just as it can be disturbing but that’s pretty wild. I remember the Vivec part making it into lore in his sermons, yeah but I struggled to find the Azura one again. With our current loremaster leaving ESO, I wonder who will come in and fill in the shoes.

I'd like to continue this discussion, can we move it to another thread/start a thread for it and move these posts to it?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 11 2019, 09:39 PM
Post #13

Paladin
Group Icon

Per request, have created this new thread for lore and added the ongoing lore discussion posts to it. Enjoy! smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 12 2019, 04:12 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Oh, yes. Michael Kirkbride. One of my..."favorite" topics. I have mixed feelings about him, at best. Mostly negative.

I don't!

I more or less agree. There is denying the positive contributions he has made to the lore, which wouldn't be the same without him. But some of his esoteric work is just...too out there. I'm decidedly not a fan of a lot of it, and it feels more like him just being his usual self-aggrandizing self. And he really can't take criticism of it, but a lot of times the legion of MK bootlickers just attack people for him.

Although come to think of it, you're right, he DOES write about sexual stuff--particularly sexual violence--a lot. That's really creepy.

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 9 2019, 12:53 AM) *

Also = can't even talk about TES without thinking of Ted Peterson. wub.gif

Another thing that bothers me about the MK worship--and this time more so his overzealous fans. They act like MK is the only person who has ever contributed anything worthwhile to the series and nobody else's writing matters or it sucks. That pisses me off. Not only is it wrong and obnoxious, but it is a slap in the face to those who have made significant contributions. What about Ted Peterson, like you said? Marilyn Wasserman, the namesake of Mara? Julian LeFay, albeit really early on? Todd Howard, whatever his faults may be? Ken Rolston?

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 9 2019, 01:53 AM) *

That's disgusting. The dude really needs to get over himself. And the fans just make it far worse when they excuse his behavior. The way he'll come on, spout cryptic [censored], and act like some sort of grand loremaster is so pretentious to me. And then his fans so willingly take after him even with how abusive he can be.

I also don't think some of his more esoteric stuff even fits with TES. Some of it goes way too sci-fi for me. Which is great...in other franchises. Nothing against sci-fi (in fact, I often quite enjoy it), but just don't put in TES. One of the many things I love about TES is it isn't cookie-cutter fantasy, but you don't need to throw in insanely nonsensical fantasy stuff or sci-fi to keep it that way.

Everytime I think about this topic, I don't know who pisses me off more: Kirkbride or his legion of crazy fans. End rant.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 12 2019, 10:40 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

The fact that MK is such a controversial figure in the TES community is the reason I was hesitant to bring it up at all at first lol, let alone receipts of his terrible behavior

Personally, I always saw the sci-fi stuff being the natural outcome of a High Fantasy world where mages are also basically scientists. (The irony is that the most steampunk, anti-magic race in the setting practiced the magic that would work the LEAST with our scientific method.)

I think it's just a matter of perspective. Like whether you see Pelinal as an android or not, he IS a magical construct created by the gods. A gay, time-traveling, genocidaly racist magical construct with powers that could be described as either "lasers" or "killing light".

Of course I may be biased, given that I like the idea of magic and science mingling, lol

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Feb 12 2019, 11:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 13 2019, 02:22 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 12 2019, 04:40 PM) *

The fact that MK is such a controversial figure in the TES community is the reason I was hesitant to bring it up at all at first lol, let alone receipts of his terrible behavior

Personally, I always saw the sci-fi stuff being the natural outcome of a High Fantasy world where mages are also basically scientists. (The irony is that the most steampunk, anti-magic race in the setting practiced the magic that would work the LEAST with our scientific method.)

I think it's just a matter of perspective. Like whether you see Pelinal as an android or not, he IS a magical construct created by the gods. A gay, time-traveling, genocidaly racist magical construct with powers that could be described as either "lasers" or "killing light".

Of course I may be biased, given that I like the idea of magic and science mingling, lol

Good point, my bad. Didn't mean to go on a mini rant like that.

Anyway, I don't mind some intermingling of fantasy and sci-fi. The Dwemer lore is cool, and the Battlespire has a little bit of sci-fi elements too. Those combinations were done in unique and interesting ways that still managed to fit the world. I'm sure there is some other stuff that I am missing.

But I like it in moderation. Voidships are a bit much, TV-headed Khajiit riding moonbikes or whatever it was in c0da are a no-go for me, and Pelinal being a cyborg from the 9th era...that's over the top, IMO. But for those who like it, by all means enjoy it.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 14 2019, 09:49 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Gonna be honest, I don't think I ever really read through c0da in its entirety, especially when I learned it was a roundabout and self-felatiating way to introduce the concept of "headcanon" to the apparently stunted lore community. So I honestly can't really comment on much on the type of things that showed up in it lol

But yeah, I think for the most part the sci-fi elements are worked into the setting pretty well, mostly because the writers seem to take the fantasy elements into account and have them work together.

Like the Imperial Mothships, for example. It would be weird if they were widely used, considering MUCH more efficient methods of cross plane(tary) travel exists in the setting. But they aren't, because they are horribly inefficient. Who needs em?

'Course, if ESO's Summerset is any indication, they seem to be shying away from ever using it again, which is awful. I'm focusing more on the terrible excuses one of the devs brought up for it, though, so it might not actually be the consensus

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 10 2019, 10:18 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Recent news: we have a new writer. Leamon Tuttle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TESOnline/status...372703753555970

“[Tuttle] has been working on the ESO team for 8+ years and has spent 6 years designing content for the game. He was the principal writer on both Clockwork City and Murkmire. We are very excited to have him move into this role!”

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Mar 11 2019, 12:59 AM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

Yep, them's the guy that was "apprenticed" to Lawrence Schick. I actually can't remember if there was official word of him being promoted before that announcement, lol, but there were plenty of rumors about it. (I also didn't know he also did Murkmire)

As I said before, I'm sure he'll do well. Both the Clockwork City and Murkmire had some of the best lore in the whole game so far (and a superior depiction of Sotha Sil compared to subsequent appearances...)

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Mar 26 2019, 01:43 AM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

IPB Image

*cries in Ta'agra*

Sweet Babby Alfiq, the gentle face on the Senche-raht, and the big Cathay-raht in the background. (Someone mentioned a Dagi-raht, too, but I haven't seen it)

I need..........................
More Khajiit lore

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:42 AM