2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Killing an Ogre
deltawolf
post May 19 2006, 07:18 AM
Post #1

Retainer

What is the best way of kill an Ogre?
Do somebody know what their weakness is, if any?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elendil
post May 19 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #2

Evoker

I use a Dwarven Claymore with Fire enchantment. Works just fine... smile.gif

--------------------
//Elendil
user posted image

Main Charcter:
Level 19 - Imperial
Custom Class [Ranger - Warrior/Stealth]
Arena - Grand Champion
Champion of Cyrodiil
Head of Mages Guild
Head of Fighters Guild
+Quote Post
H3lliN
post May 19 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #3

Retainer

Just placing a link where you can find lots of information in general about the game: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Creatures .Long live wikipedia...

As far as ogres go it doesn't mention any weaknesses.Try ranged attacks though since it is one powerfull beast to face up close and personal.If you have no skills in ranged attack you will need a good mellee weapon. Ogres are quite vulnerable to fire...as most things are...If your char. is no wizzard or battlemage then try buying fire spells, getting a good weapon (fire enchanted ?) and have lots of potions. The ability to get a sneak hit on it (multiplies the damage done on it depending on type of weapon) is also quite usefull.

If all these don't help my advise is to stay clear of them untill you level up more, have better equipment and are ready to face them.

Cheers....

--------------------
Give them helll, the deserve it well!

HFH//-H3lliN < Hellenic Fighting Heroes //-
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 19 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

If you like to be a conjurer like me, summon Daedroths or something equally powerful, like Frost or Storm Atronachs, cast invisibilty on your self and watch the fun. Granted, this is not very glorious, but I'm a mage, not a fighter... smile.gif

Conjuration is very easy to train, so just keep summoning skeletons until you reach 75 in skill, so you can summon the interesting stuff.

I reached level 100 last night, and summoned the Lich a few times. Those are mean! blink.gif

Alternatively you can simply use invisibility/chameleon and avoid the Ogres altogether... Even less glorious, but it works... wink.gif

--------------------
Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks!

Gandalf
+Quote Post
deltawolf
post May 19 2006, 01:13 PM
Post #5

Retainer

I'll try the invisibility trick - got a few potions, my skills is not high enough yet
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 19 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

Ok if you like stealth here are some further tips.

Spoilers on how to get high chameleon gear below:

One of the Daedric shrine quests (Meridia) gives you a ring with 35% chameleon. Sigil stones come with 30% chameleon. If you use that ring together with 2 items enchanted with these sigil stones, you'll get 95% chameleon. This is enough to sneak past (and remember to sneak) any enemies, while still doing things like casting spells and open chests etc. So 3 enchanted items is enough, compared to making 5 items out of grand soul gems each with a chameleon effect of 20% to accomplish the same (well, 100%).

I like this 95% scale as you'll sometimes get detected if you cast spells directly at enemies (but you can still summon) and if you stand up in front of them, thus not making you completely invincible/invisible.

To get the sigil stones with chameleon is a bit cheaty though (unless you're very lucky). Just quicksave just before you take the stone and check the effect when you get it. It's random every time. Keep quickloading and grabbing it until you got it.

Sidetip: Other very handy sigil stones for mages is fortify magicka 50%. I'm wearing 3 armor items with these, and have a total of 524 magicka (I'm an Altmer (+150 magicka) mage (+50) with 100% intelligence). I've almost stopped using ordinary weapons, as all my magicka enables me to create any location into a living hell for any enemies, while I myself are mostly hiding cowardly in the corner watching the fun... biggrin.gif

Btw I think this belongs in the cheats and hints forum.

This post has been edited by Olav: May 19 2006, 01:44 PM

--------------------

Gandalf
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 19 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Ranged attacks are good, combined with fire (as stated earlier). Unless you are a "tank" character, you really want to stay away from ogres (and minotaurs). If possible, I jump up onto a rock and blast away (arrows and/or fire spells). If no rock is handy, I fire arrows while running away backwards.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
softwhisper
post May 19 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #8

Evoker

i just use the block then stab then block then stab basic combat technique. kills ogres pretty well. if there's more than one ogre/troll/minataur though, it's bow time, to thin the heard. or just run around on roads until you find bandits and get them to help you fight the beasts before you kill the bandits too biggrin.gif

--------------------

~ toodles
+Quote Post
Cadaver
post May 23 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #9

Evoker

Invisable 15 seconds (custom Spell - named it Vanish)
Barium Enema (custom spell 100 fire damage for 2 seconds, weakness to fire 100% for 5 seconds, costs about 200 magicka on touch)
With an Altmer (+100 magicka) Apprentice sign (+100 magicka) and maxed Intelligence (200 magicka) you can pretty much cast your Enema twice, and vanish twice. If you Will is maxed, you will recharge enough magicka to cast Enema and Vanish before the last vanish wears off...

In this manner, you can kill everything in the game!! Thats right, EVERYTHING... just carry a sword so you can hit people that are immune or strong verse magick.

Sidenote: you can complete the entire arena fights in about 30 minutes with a char like this... if destruction is a Minor Skill, buy the Destroy Armor effect and cast on self to autolevel your skill...

Obviously, this works for ogres too, no matter if it is one or 200 of them, you just keep Vanishing, sneaking back up to them, and inserting your fist into his boat to let loose your Barium Enema... Make sure to remind them to have a nice day... lol...

Make a shock version for Daedra, since most of them are weak to shock already....

Cadaver

--------------------

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never ever choose to be.... (Maynard James Keenan - Judith)
+Quote Post
deltawolf
post May 23 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #10

Retainer

I've made myself a spell that works great for any enemy:

100 Weakness to fire for 1 sec
100 Weakness to frost for 1 sec
100 Weakness to shock for 1 sec
20 Fire damage for 2 sec
20 Frost damage for 2 sec
20 shock damage for 2 sec.

At the moment it cost around 140 magicka points
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 23 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

I've made a spell that works quite good on things like Ogres and Minataurs as well. If I remember it now (points might be 22-23):

Fire damage 20 pts for 3 secs
Frost damage 20 pts for 3 secs
Shock damage 20 pts for 3 secs
Damage health 20 pts for 2 secs
Paralyse for 1 sec

All on target.

The paralyze is very handy. It simply causes the enemy to fall down and get right back up, but this takes 3-4 seconds, by which time they either die from the longer lasting damage spells or I can cast the spell on them again.

--------------------

Gandalf
+Quote Post
Ice
post May 23 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Retainer

I currently use a Deadric Bow atk:19 and Elven Arrows. I simply go into sneak and fire at the ogres, they drop at one shot to the head. ^^

--------------------
My Current Char.
LVL : 22
Race : Female Kajit
Class : Custom Class
Proficient in Bows

Listener
Guild Master of the Thieves Guild
Champion of the Arena
Master of the Fighters Guild
+Quote Post
spyglass
post May 27 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #13

Retainer

Ogres and Minataurs drop like flys when you use a 1 second paralyze spell, then hack 'em with your favorite weapon.

A 1 second paralyze spell should be the first spell you make when you get into the mages guild.

The spells posted above are ok, but learn how to stack spells and your results will be much better. Spell order is also important.
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 27 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(spyglass @ May 27 2006, 07:11 AM)
learn how to stack spells and your results will be much better.

What do you mean by stacking spells?

Btw. the spell above is actually 10 damage, not 20 like mentioned, and the Paralyse 1 sec is listed first, although I don't think the order matters since they're all cast simultaneously.

--------------------

Gandalf
+Quote Post
spyglass
post May 27 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #15

Retainer

Olav, check out the reading here:

http://inthexis.stanford.edu/oblivion/index.html

one spell sequence is over 3000 damage with low magika used. It also explains why spell order is very important.

have fun.
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 27 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #16

Knower
Group Icon

Wow, didn't know this.

Summary.  Cast the following chain of spells: 100(wM wF wC wS)6 (22mana), 100(wM wF wC wS)4 (13mana), 100(wM wF wC wS)2 (6mana), 8(f c s)8 (50mana).  The effects amplify each other, and also stack because they are from different spells.  The spellchain costs 91mana, and the damage spell is amplified 64 times, for a total of 12,288 damage (135 damage/mana).

Seems there is an entire science behind this! blink.gif

I'm currently on a break from Oblivion playing X3 - Reunion, but I'm definitely going back to Oblivion sometime, so this info was very useful.

Thanks!

--------------------

Gandalf
+Quote Post
deltawolf
post May 29 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #17

Retainer

QUOTE(Olav @ May 27 2006, 05:26 PM)

I'm currently on a break from Oblivion playing X3 - Reunion,

I'm currently on a break from X3, playing Oblivion biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 29 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #18

Knower
Group Icon

laugh.gif Actually X3 didn't capture me all that much, so now I'm playing Silent Hunter III with the great Grey Wolves mod... biggrin.gif

Sorry for the OT post...
+Quote Post
Cadaver
post May 29 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #19

Evoker

THAT FREAKING ARTICLE RULES!!!

VAST UNIMAGINABLE POWER!!

And I thougt my mage was invincable before...

Cadaver

--------------------

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never ever choose to be.... (Maynard James Keenan - Judith)
+Quote Post
Cadaver
post May 29 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #20

Evoker

OMG, I just finished reading all those articles!!

I am SO going to Taint Magic my way to 10000 magicka and and use HELLACIOUS Target: Area effect 100 feet, 100 Fire Damage, 100 Shock Damage, 100 Frost Damage, 100 Damage Health all for 15 seconds!!

Then Chain Cast:

On Target: Weakness to Magick 100 within 100 feet, for 10 seconds

On Target: Weakness to Magick, Frost, Fire, Shock within 100 feet, for 10 seconds

Lets see, by his math... that should be:

Weakness to Magicka, 200%, Elements 200%, so 9x damage per second. 900 Frost, Fire, Shock, and 200 Damage health, for 15 seconds within 100 feet...

calculator...

13500 of each element total, 1000 damage health = altogether 41500 damage over 15 seconds. Can ANYTHING survive that?? Oh, and of course add some paralyze effects onto those too...

I cant wait to try it... wonder what the actual mana cost will be?? How far is 100 feet in Obilivion?? It would be great to max your armor out, get a good speed, run through a dungeon, gather everyone in it into a crowd, have a nice spot to run up a ledge or something or just turn around an AoE paralyze, cast the chain and DESTROY AN ENTIRE DUNGEON IN 3 CASTS!!!

YEAH!!! Yay, I found something new to do!!

This will be FUN!!!

Cadaver...

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:42 PM