71 Pages V « < 44 45 46 47 48 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
Lopov
post Mar 24 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #901

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, I found that page, unfortunately shipping costs to Slovenia are high whereas on the Book Depository page I ordered the complete collection from, the delivery is free worldwide.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Mar 24 2018, 08:00 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 25 2018, 10:59 AM
Post #902

Master
Group Icon

At 0133 this morning I concluded my fifth reading of Ursula K. Le Guin's Tehanu, the Last Book of Earthsea. A most fitting companion to her The Earthsea Trilogy. The title is misleading in so far as Ms. Le Guin would eventually publish at least two further Earthsea titles. The first, Tales From Earthsea, I made it through the intro of before leaving the sofa (where I sleep these days) and turning on the computer.

And yes, I was up for the day by 0133. Groggy as heck, but unable to fall back asleep.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 25 2018, 11:02 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Mar 30 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #903

Master
Group Icon

It has arrived!

IPB Image

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Mar 30 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #904

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Mar 30 2018, 03:40 PM) *

It has arrived!

Oooh... Been years since I read Lovecraft. Happy reading! (Is happy the right word? Erm... Enjoy the freakiness?)
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 30 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #905

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Mar 30 2018, 10:40 AM) *

It has arrived!

IPB Image

The stars are right!

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 30 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #906

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Mar 30 2018, 09:40 AM) *

It has arrived!

IPB Image

Niiiiiice!!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 31 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #907

Master
Group Icon

At 1711 yesterday, during supper, I finished my second reading of Ursula K. Le Guin's Tales of Earthsea. I've started in on Ms Le Guin's final Earthsea novel, The Other Wind.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 4 2018, 03:26 AM
Post #908

Master
Group Icon

At 2323 yesterday evening I finished Ursula K. Le Guin's The Other Wind, bringing to an end this re-reading of her Earthsea books. My only recollection of Wind and its immediate predecessor was the notion that they were not the equal of earlier Earthsea entries. I have a greater appreciation of them this time round. I feel more could have been told, carrying on where Wind leaves off, but with Ms Le Guin gone that possibility is denied us. Be that as it may, I'm glad to have been able to reacquaint myself with the series yet again.

I've begun reading John Marco's The Jackal of Nar, book one of his Tyrants and Kings, a series I do not possess in whole.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 17 2018, 09:32 AM
Post #909

Master
Group Icon

At 0303 this morning I finished my second read of John Marco's Jackal of Nar, book one of his Tyrants and Kings series. First read Feb 2001, I recalled absolutely nothing of it going in other than a vague memory of finding it rather mediocre back then. That opinion hasn't changed. As of now I doubt I'll continue on with book two, but we shall see.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 19 2018, 12:11 AM
Post #910

Master
Group Icon

Couldn't see myself continuing John Marco's Tyrants and Kings series. Decided to tackle David Eddings' Balgarid for the tenth (!!!!) time. Am now some thirty pages into book one, Pawn of Prophecy. As might be imagined, these books and I or old friends. I don't consider them amongst the "greats" of fantasy literature. But they are, for me, among the most readable. The sort of writing that brings a smile to your face. Feel-good writing. I could nitpick 'em to death, but why bother? Reading 'em is simply a heck of a lot of fun, assuming you want a light hearted tale well told, with a cast of colorful, enduring characters. I'll admit that....no, no nitpicking.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 31 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #911

Master
Group Icon

At 0312 Tuesday, 29 May, I concluded my tenth reading of David Eddings' Pawn of Prophecy, book one of The Belgariad. Looking over completion dates inside its cover I noticed each read ending in a different month, so that only Mar and Nov aren't represented. How odd as that? What are the odds my next two reads, assuming I live long enough for that, fill those gaps? Slim to none, in my estimation. I also noticed I read the two five-book series, Belgariad and Malloreon TWICE during 2001. Completion dates show I must have finished the final (tenth) book sometime near the end of July then immediately read Pawn of Prophecy again, completing it 30 Jul.

Need I say I'm already partway through book two, Queen of Sorcery?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 8 2018, 02:00 AM
Post #912

Master
Group Icon

At 1654 today, during supper, I finished my tenth reading of David Eddings' Queen of Sorcery, book two of The Belgariad. I'm now some pages into book three, Magician's Gambit.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jun 12 2018, 05:33 AM
Post #913

Master
Group Icon

D.Foxy’s Of Blades, Fights and Assassins in that old forum. It’s a whole different read when you’ve experienced a little bit of the martial arts yourself. In my case, it affords a new and dare I say intimate appreciation of the knowledge *freely* shared. Hats off. It is a shame he did not continue; I would have wanted to see how he covered unarmed combat and his detailed views on incorporating grappling during weapon-to-weapon fights.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 16 2018, 06:58 PM
Post #914

Master
Group Icon

At 0557 15 Jun 2018, during a power outage, I finished my tenth read of David Eddings' Magician's Gambit, book three of his The Belgariad series. I'm now partway through book four, Castle of Wizardry.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 16 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #915

Ancient
Group Icon

I have not been keeping up here. I read Most Wanted about a month ago. It is one of the new canon books, about Han and Qi'ra when they were street rats on Corellia. It takes a little while to feel right, because in the beginning it is mostly in scavenging in the sewers. But once they go topside things start getting interesting, and it feels like a real Star Wars story. It is a fun team story, has solid character development, and ends with Han and Qi'ra realizing just how big the galaxy is, and that they have opportunities out there. It puts them in the right frame of mind to escape Corellia, as we see at the start of Solo.

I also read Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos. It is an anthology with a few Lovecraft tales, plus short stories by other writers. Most were rather poor. The one by Stephen King was the best non-Lovecraft one of the bunch.

I am about half way through Last Shot. It is a Han and Lando story. I love the Lando parts, he is one of my favorite Star Wars characters. But this one keeps jumping around through time. Too much, which makes it hard to keep track of what was going on when. It does not help that the timelines do not match up either. The present is set 2 years after Jakku. Then the past stories are 10 and 15 years earlier. But in reality I think they should be 10 and 15 years before Yavin.

It does make some fun references to Lando's cape collection, which brought a nice smile after seeing Solo. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 22 2018, 08:32 PM
Post #916

Master
Group Icon

At 2323 yesterday evening, 21 Jun 2018, reading on the couch I finished my tenth read of David Eddings' Castle of Wizardry, book four of The Belgariad. I've already started in on the fifth and concluding book in the series, Enchanters' End Game.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jun 22 2018, 08:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 4 2018, 11:58 AM
Post #917

Master
Group Icon

At 2223 last night, 3 July 2018, I concluded my tenth reading of David Eddings' Enchanters' End Game, fifth and final volume of The Belariad. I'm now several pages into book one of Eddings' followup series The Malloreon: Guardians of the West.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jul 4 2018, 12:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 10 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #918

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been reading Batgirl lately. I started with some of the more recent Rebirth issues where she has the blue and yellow suit. My interest got piqued, since I last remember Barbara Gordon being paralyzed and in a wheelchair (and Oracle). So I went farther back to the start of the New 52 launch (damn, how many times does DC re-launch their entire line of titles?). There I found that she regained her mobility through an experimental surgery in South America.

I know some folks are disappointed to see her out of the wheelchair again, but personally I am glad. Batman had his back broken in Knightfall, and he was walking again by the end, without the benefit of any special surgeries. Other characters die, but of course don't stay dead (yes, I am looking at you Jason Todd, not to mention countless others). But Babs has been stuck in that chair for decades. I know there have been other Batgirls, but Barbara Gordon was the only real one for me.

I find I like her new blue and yellow look a lot more than the older black and gold outfit too. The older one is way too hyper-sexualized for me. Pretty much just paint sprayed on an impossibly curved woman's body. The new suit looks like real fabric (apparently it is leather), with folds and creases, and Babs looks like a real woman in it, rather than a spank-fantasy (like pretty much all super-heroines rolleyes.gif But to be fair, male characters are drawn just as ridiculously).

I also noticed that in the older New 52 books, she had blue eyes. In the newer Rebirth titles she has green eyes (which fits more with the red hair). So maybe that is her mutant power? wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 14 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #919

Master
Group Icon

At 0315 this morning, 15 Jul 2018, I concluded my tenth reading of David Eddings' Guardians of the West, book one of The Malloreon. I got only a few pages into its followup, King of the Murgos, before leaving the sofa to fire up the PC.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 22 2018, 09:12 AM
Post #920

Master
Group Icon

At 0257 this morning, already up for the day due to needing to keep the PC awake while my most recent YT TpF episode uploads, I finished my tenth read of David Eddings' King of the Murgos, book two of The Malloreon. I'll begin book three, Demon Lord of Karanda, by day's end, possibly sometime between now and breakfast.

--------------------
+Quote Post

71 Pages V « < 44 45 46 47 48 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:56 PM