Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knights of the Nine - New Kvatch, Attempt at fan-fic
treydog
post Feb 25 2012, 03:19 AM
Post #201

Master
Group Icon

1.11 (Part 4)

[quote]The bandit had them spinning, windmill fashion, walking towards the Nord Knight with a murderous look on his tattooed face. Farn had his helmeted head tilted in what Galasafon imagined was probably amusement. Olfsson raised his hand and shot a large fireball into the bandit’s exposed chest. The bandit skidded down the corridor on his back and stayed there.[/quote]

Rather reminds me of Indie shooting the scimitar-wielding character in Raiders… And is equally gratifying.

[quote]He’d brought them all here on the strength of their trust in him. All of them risking the wrath of the Emperor on what was at best, capturing a wanted deserter and murderer turned bandit without direct orders, and at worse a personal vendetta against his brother-in-law...Former brother-in-law. [/quote]

Oh my- definitely a twist I did not see coming.

[quote]He walked up to and between the Imperial and Nord. “Foss?” asked McWylde, breathing heavily.

“Brellin’s with him.”

“No I’m not,” said a voice behind them. Which then quietly added, “There’s no need anymore.” [/quote]

Damn and blast. It is always hard losing comrades.

[quote]Glarthir descended into hysterical laughter “I’ll be dead before the next morning if you take me back to the Emperor.”

Galasafon narrowed his eyes at Glarthir, “I fail to see the downside.”[/quote]

Have to agree there.

[quote]With that, Galasafon pushed Glarthir backwards. The bleeding Bosmer stumbled to a stop. “Help me?” he asked of McWylde.

Olfsson answered him with a Nordic Thu’um, and the Bosmer flew backwards over the waterfall.

The four Elitarii walked to the edge and looked down.[/quote]

Incredibly vivid scene- so well described that I felt as if I was there.

[quote]At which point, Uriel Septim had put his hand on Galasafon’s shoulder, looked with more than a trace of sympathy into the Bosmer’s eyes and said, “I’m so sorry.”[/quote]

A real leader- a good one- will give you the reaming you deserve- AND understand why you had to do what you did.

1.11 (Part 5)

[quote]Galasafon sighed and dropped the Shroud spell prompting a squeal from a passing lady. “One of these days you’ll tell me how you can see into that. You’re the only one that can.”

“Well, there is another, but that’s beside the point. Anyway, why should I give up my advantage?” Robert smiled.[/quote]

As did I upon reading that.

[quote]“I just think the Universe likes to take the piss out of us sometimes.”[/quote]

Quoted for truth.

[quote]“Oh, don’t start on me again Commander.” Galasafon spat. “You know out of all of us, even Farn, I’m the least comfortable with all this Nine business. Denying them now would be like denying that the sun rises and sets. But worship? Why? What have they done for me to worship them? Glarthir died because he attacked a prostitute when she insisted on payment not for what he did to my sister...His wife?..His kriffing kids for...” Galasafon started breathing heavily. “I have too much hate Robert. For everyone and everything. I am not worthy of being a Knight. This with my sister broke me somehow. The betrayal, the loss, all of it. And then...Then, to top it all. The Emperor.”[/quote]

That goes a long way toward explaining things- and is also some powerful writing.

[quote]“Yes, it seemed he had some issues with being able to do it until I asked Farn to go and have a word with the Commander of the Watch in Bravil.”

“Hah!” Galasafon actually smiled, “Which word was that?”

“I think it was “Sit” First at least.”[/quote]

Perhaps- if he was feeling generous…

1.11 (Interlude)

[quote]That despite all Caroline’s efforts to save the Emperor, she’d been branded traitor along with the remaining Dragon Company still made the retired General angry. Run around like headless chickens, desperate to make scapegoats.

It was the testimonies of himself and several other notables that had saved Jayred Grice, Alix Lencolia and a couple more. Many others - lesser notable soldiers - had been executed as traitors. Kenth was well aware that had it not been for Robert McWylde and the ex-Investigato J’Drell, his daughter may have been included in the deaths.[/quote]

A lot of history expertly covered in a small space.

[quote]“Well, someone needs to help me fix that,” Kenth pointed at the broken door, “you’re not getting out of it because you’ve had a scratch.” he said with an eyebrow raised.

“Sorry Daddy.” Caroline mock pouted.[/quote]

That made me smile.

And really- I want to quote the WHOLE section. But I will settle for closing with this- as the wise writer did before me-

[quote]The two old friends sat - or stood - and watched the stars come out.[/quote]

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 25 2012, 07:39 AM
Post #202

Councilor
Group Icon

Thank you so much Treydog...I imagine that a post likes that takes ages, and I'm so...Oh, I don't know the word...They all seem trite somehow... biggrin.gif ...But whatever it is, I am...Thank you so much...It's always encouraging...

For the more recent parts, thank you all and I apologise for being so...Confusing... laugh.gif ...Which these next few sections will make even worse, as they have little to do with the last part... biggrin.gif ...

To colour in from the start...The year is 3E 604, which is a good 160 years after Oblivion and New Kvatch's start...This is the year that the game Skyrim makes out as when the Aldmeri Dominion (The ruling Altmer and Bosmer collective) having conquered many lands previously held by Cyrodiil's Empire, decide to invade Cyrodiil itself...Obviously, I'm having none of that as it makes no sense within where I'm going with me story...

I've had this rebuttal planned since about a week after Skyrim came out...I hate the game's story, and am enjoying burying it...

Thank you...

1.12 – Empire (Pt.1)

3E 604 – Imperial Palaces, Newheart. 30 miles south-west of Cheydinhal.

Seven pairs of heavy booted, martial feet echoed as they made their way along the marble floor of the Imperial Palace’s throne room. The soldiers of the Second Aldmeri Dominion marched briskly towards the occupant of the throne, looking neither left at the opulent furnishings and ornate hanging tapestries, depicting the major cities and landmarks of Cyrodiil, or right, out of the giant windows, beyond which lay ornamental, manicured, terraced gardens. Seven pairs of eyes stared fixedly at the seated, emerald green attired small woman with copper coloured hair, who at this point seemed to have not noticed their approach.

The lead Altmer, General Sher Derlar, brought the party to a stop at the base of the steps up to the dais. He watched the Empress reading a book to the two children at her knee. The young girl’s eyes kept trying to turn to watch the soldiers, but the son’s seemed to be fixed on his mother. The General looked up behind the throne. Two soldiers – a pair of The Empire’s vaunted Knights’ Blades – stood either side, a female Khajiit on the left and a male Nord on the right. Both stood with legs apart and arms folded, at ease. Knowing who they were, the General was under no illusions about how battle ready the pair were.

Sher Derlar didn’t become the Aldmeri Dominion’s finest general by going into situations blindly, and recognised the shape of this trap before it could be sprung.

He cleared his throat.

-----------------------------------

“Empress Mia McWylde, The Second Aldmeri Dominion has conquered your most hallowed hall and now holds you prisoner. Call off your armies, submit to our will and rule and you will be treated fairly.”

“...And that is how Farn Olfsson saved the day again. If only all Olfssons were as heroic, eh?” The Empress smiled and turned to look at the Nord.

The children laughed at the joke.

“Madam!” the General said with an edge.

“Oh, yes, hello!” Said the Empress with surprise and closed the book. “Still, after a hundred and fifty years, some things have to change eh?” she smiled at the Aldmeri soldiers. “Have you ever read this General?...Um?”

“Derlar, madam.”

“Derlar,” the Empress nodded. “Well, General? Have you ever read ‘Legends of The Knights of The Nine?’”

“We are required to study all the texts regarding our greatest enemies.”

“Greatest enemies? You’ve only been causing trouble for thirty years for Aetherius’ sake, how can they be your ‘Greatest Enemies’” The Empress said in a mocking voice while she made quotation marks with her fingers.

“Madam, your Highness, please, I don’t think you appreciate the danger you’re in. We have you completely at a disadvantage. You have sent all your troops away, you have little to no defence here. We are the elite troops of the Aldmeri Dominion and there are only two here to defend you. There were none outside.

“You can end this without loss of life. All you have to do is surrender, right here, right now.”

“Otherwise?”

“Please, have one of these...Soldiers take the children away. I am not without respect. They do not need to hear...discussions.” The General narrowed his eyes.

The girl whimpered and looked up at her mother with trembling lip.

The Empress put her hand out and gestured with her eyebrows, then winked. The daughter smiled weakly and put her hand to her mother’s, who gripped it.

Mia McWylde was about to speak when her son said,

“Can I kick him in the nuts?”

The words died in the Empress’ open mouth as she looked at her son.

“Only Olfsson said I should kick people I don’t like in the nuts.”

Did he indeed?” The Empress looked around at Cairn Olfsson who had the good grace to look embarrassed. “We are at court Robert, can you mind your manners?”

“Oh, sorry mother...Please can I kick-“

No!

“We used to call then Jerbey’s in my day and then only-”

“MADAM! You are in a dire situation. Could you please give it some damned respect!!”

“You mind your language in front of my children man! Now, what do you know of me?”

---------------------------------

The General could feel the trap starting to bite, but he was – he had to admit – somehow unable to see where it was coming from.

The Empress asked him again.

“What do you know of me?”

The months of study ran away with his mouth.

“You are Empress Mia Seren Jarn, but you rule with the Dynastic name of McWylde. A former Knight of The Nine yourself, you married Andreius Jarn, another Knight of The Nine after you rose to the throne and eventually had these two...children, Prince Robert and Princess Eleni. Your father is the Nordic Knight, Karran Shernsson, one of these ‘Legends of the Knights’ you speak of, and your mother is Maire Shernsson, bearer of the Emerald Lamp, high-keeper of the flame in the Order of The Lamp. She is the only daughter of Emperor Robert McWylde and his wife prior to his rising to the Dragon Throne, Caroline. Your mother’s younger brother was taken by the same conflict that also took your father, your brother, and led to your grandfather’s death in the destruction of the old Imperial City.

“That act is still under discussion as to how it happened, the White-Gold Tower had stood for many an age, and yet it now lies ruined by a wave of destruction previously unheard of.” Having no opinions or facts levelled at him, the General continued, “I know that you are much older than you appear, and that’s down to the Altmer blood in your family, which seems to be still going strong given that it is now four generations back.

“You ascended to the throne twenty years ago on the day your Grandfather died. Your mother actually inherited it, but then abdicated in favour of you within seconds.

“You rule over a much diminished Empire – if it could be even truly called that anymore – but much of the blame for that lies with the Elder Council’s having ruled for too long without a true Emperor...Or Empress.

“And you rule from here, the palaces in the city of Newheart, as in New heart of the Empire. Very clever.”

The General tilted his head, “Anything else or can we get on with it now?”

The Empress leaned forward with a particularly venomous smile. “No, that’s my biography, I said what do you know of me?”

Damn, the General thought, I can feel the trap...Where is it?

---------------------------------

“Did you know that my favourite colour is emerald green, because it reminds me so much of my mother?...Or did you know that I when I’m here alone you’re more likely to find me in the servant’s kitchens of an evening, eating chicken and deep fried chipped potatoes with them, than the dross that I get at these almost unending damned banquets?..I love cats, dogs, the smell of summer rain on sun-baked ground, I want a pet unicorn and did you know that I would never, ever,” The Empress spat the word with all the venom she could, “keep my children in a situation where there was the slightest danger to them?”

The General frowned and looked left and right.

“I have three words for you General and your ‘we need a second Aldmeri Dominion because the first one failed spectacularly.’”

General Derlar sneered, “I’ll never surrender?”

“Isn’t that technically four words? I’ll...It’s a contraction isn’t it?...I will never surrender...That’s four?..But I suppose I’ll is used so much that it doesn’t matter really...” The Empress shook her head and frowned, “But anyway, ignoring the possibility of it being four words, it is definitely a cliché. No, I was thinking more,” The Empress sat forward with eyes shining with magic as she said,

“Fus-Ro-DAH!”

The air blast from the Thu’um knocked the seven soldiers backwards as if autumn leaves before a storm. They came to an abrupt halt at the wall and thick oaken doors that had been closed behind them.

The Empress stood, lifted the front hem of the skirts on her emerald silken gown and sped towards the piled soldiers. Skidding to a dignified halt next to the General. Mia knelt down and smiled a particularly humourless smile at the Altmer.

“You arrogant little $hit, you really believed you could just walk in here and demand we roll over for the great Altmer nation didn’t you?” she nodded, “You thought that you could just lure me into making a mistake like leaving here undefended? HAH!...What’s most insulting is that everyone always underestimates me. I mean how stupid can one man be fercryingoutloud? You said it all yourself, Knight of The Nine? Nordic Legend of a father? Most powerful woman in the world for a mother? And I’m the kriffing Empress you idiot! Any idea of the power that gives you? And I mean literally not figuratively. And you genuinely thought that you seven ever held a slightest threat to me? HAH!”

The general was gasping for breath but he forced out, “Language Empress. More soldiers coming, Shrouded. You’re dead but you don’t know it.”

“No there isn’t.” McWylde shook her head. “We knew you were coming, we knew when you crossed onto the estate and you were followed all the way in here.”

“Heh, impossible. We know that the Shrouded cannot be followed.”

Mia’s eyes flashed purple. A ghostly figure appeared, hanging in the air behind her. A full face covering dwarven helmet on its head, its chest covered in a ghostly representation of the Knights’ armour, ending in the traditional wispy skirts of the wraiths.

“Meet the Zephyr Wraith, for want of a better name...I call him Keith.” She smiled back at the wraith. “Developed by the finest minds in Cyrodiil, they came up with the ultimate defence for the Shroud. You see, you still make people shaped air pockets when you move.” The Empress shrugged. “They saw, they warned us, you were followed.”

“Impossible.”

“Besides, with a room full of soldiers you were never going to get very far.”

“What the hells do you mean now woman?” asked the General with a disgusted sneer.

“Meet my husband, General.”

A man appeared, standing right behind the Empress. He was blonde haired, blue eyed and had the look of a man who was generally unimpressed.

The General’s eyes widened in shock. The shock grew as the remainder of the soldiers revealed themselves.

“General,” Mia said, “Meet the Knights’ Blades and the Knights’ Shadow. Be impressed, be very impressed.”

“We still have an invasion fleet.” The General spat out.

“Yeah well, we have a J’Drell. Now,” men’s knees buckled, the young princess squealed briefly and fainted. She caught by the prince and placed, seated on the throne, the Universe was generally warped as Mia McWylde brought the full power of the Voice of The Empress to bear on the Altmer General, “what are your plans General? And I don’t mean the ‘Log cabin for the weekend with pretty lieutenant’s pretty wife.’” Mia looked left briefly, “Widow.”

Mia looked thoughtful for a moment, then she added, “And just for the record, I’m going to take it all back. Every bit of the lost Empire I will have back. I’m going to live for a long time General. Every country. One at a time.

“Now, about those plans.”

----------------------------------------

When the General had finished talking Mia stood up.

“Deal with that.” She ordered the soldiers while pointing.

Two fast talking children rushed at the Empress, and it was with a wince at the squeal from the Altmer General that she realised that the answer “Yes of course!” had gone to the wrong question. As the little princess had run to her with, “Mummy! Mummy!! Did I do good? Was I a brave girl?” the prince had simply asked at the same time, “Please can I kick him in the nuts now?”

“That reminds me,” she said to her husband, “did the Surilles ever deliver the wine?”

She kissed the heads of the two children and called Cairn Olfsson over to look after them. She dragged her husband behind one of the large stone columns inside the throne room. Then she planted her lips on his and kissed Andreius deeply.

They parted and he asked, “What now?”

“Well,” she looked up demurely from under her lashes, “I’m going back to my room and have a beautiful Khajiiti help me take off my clothes,” She bit the corner of her bottom lip, “and change into something more befitting,” she leaned in, lips close to his, “a good...Hard...Ride...” She paused. And then said loudly, “It’s your own fault Olfsson, you shouldn’t have been eaves-dropping.”

Mia looked up at her husband. Andreius said, “You’re going to Anvil aren’t you?”

She nodded. “I have to.”

Jarn frowned, “No you don’t, you want to.”

“Careful husband, I am still your Empress.” She mock chided him.

“Yes, that you are your Highness. I can still worry can’t I?”

“Of course. It won’t make the slightest difference though.” Mia smiled.

“Would it help if I was on my knees?”

“Undoubtedly,” the Empress raised an eyebrow, “but we haven’t got time for that sort of thing.” She smiled at her husband briefly but then it dropped as she shouted, “Olfsson!! Oh for Gods’ sake, go get a drink man!” Mia sighed and then said, “See the children safely to Cloud Ruler Temple, I’ll join you ere I’m able.”

Andreius looked pained.

“Why are you suddenly talking like that?” he asked.

“Dunno, seemed somehow appropriate. Look, if all goes well, it’s unlikely to take very long.”

“And if it goes badly?”

“Then I shall arrive at Cloud Ruler needing a long hot bath...As I shall be all...Sweaty and dishevelled...” She paused. “I said, sweaty and dishevelled!”

Mia leaned back behind the column to look at the soldiers. All of them were staring towards the throne, she looked back to her husband who was also doing likewise.

Empress McWylde turned and beheld a well dressed, bearded man, sat on the opulent throne. As one, the sound of many swords being drawn and the noise of destructive spells being called to free hands filled the room.

“Oh dear,” the bearded man said, “I fear this is becoming a familiar and tiresome habit.” And clicked his fingers.

The scene changed to all the soldiers spinning around the room as if dancing formally, hand in hand and hand on back, all in a large circle. Music was coming from all around them, with no visible means.

The dead Altmer were lying on the large sofas, as if asleep.

Mia noted that while she was dancing with the bearded man, her husband was with the Khajiit, Ka’Sari, Cairn Olfsson was looking less happy at dancing with the Altmer General, but the children were laughing while dancing together quite happily in a smaller circle inside the adults’.

“Aww.” She cooed.

“Yes, quite sweet.” The bearded man said. “Now, my dear, it’s been a while...Let’s talk of blessings shall we?”

--------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Feb 25 2012, 02:44 PM
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 25 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #203

Master
Group Icon

A very enjoyable part once more, and the Empress toying with the Thalmor general was a wonderfully fun read; not to mention the rather ingenious use of magic in this part once more (looking for displaced air was inspired).

Did notice this rather odd sentence here, though:

“I have three words for you General and your ‘we need a second Aldmeri Dominion because the first one failed spectacularly’”

It seems like you started writing this sentence and then forgot to finish it, as far as I can tell.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 26 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #204

Ancient
Group Icon

... “We are at court Robert, can you mind your manners?”

ROFL !!!!

“I have three words for you General...

“Fus-Ro-DAH!”

SPEW !!! Loved this !!!

The air blast from the Thu’um knocked the seven soldiers backwards as if autumn leaves before a storm.

...“You arrogant little $hit, you really believed you could just walk in here and demand we roll over for the great Altmer nation didn’t you?”

...What’s most insulting is that everyone always underestimates me. I’m the kriffing Empress you idiot! Any idea of the power that gives you? And I mean literally not figuratively.

... More soldiers coming, Shrouded. You’re dead but you don’t know it.”

...impossible. We know that the Shrouded cannot be followed.”

...“Meet the Zephyr Wraith, for want of a better name...I call him Keith.” She smiled back at the wraith

...you still make people shaped air pockets when you move.”

...with a wince at the squeal from the Altmer General that she realised that the answer “Yes of course!” had gone to the wrong question.

Sounds like Sheogorath at the end, lol.

I have to say, this was my fave chapter so far. Loved it !! Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 26 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #205

Paladin
Group Icon

A surrender gone awry! Nice build up, and lovely manner you gave to the empress. The general even suspected a trap, but it didn’t save him. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Feb 26 2012, 02:31 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 27 2012, 04:56 AM
Post #206

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, this is great! Prince Robert was hilarious. When he used his courtly manners, I laughed and laughed.

I just love the Empress! She was awesome throughout. I especially enjoyed her sense of humor.

This is such fun! I’m guessing that Empress Mia’s hard ride to Anvil is to meet the invading fleet? I can’t wait to see where you go with this story! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 27 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #207

Knower
Group Icon

Yepper, I concur with all the previous posties, WONDERFUL!!!!

Even with the loss of understanding on my part to any Skyrim references, I know nothing of Skyrim really, this is still an incredible piece that stands quite well as it's own story. Little Robert reminds me of someone I know, hhmm, let me think....well, anyway, seems like I know him or at least one of his off springs off spring...nevermind.

McB I loved it, absolutely loved it. Fan, fan, tastic.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 8 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #208

Councilor
Group Icon

biggrin.gif ...

Colonel Mustard, thank you very much sir...I enjoy muchly the magic stuff...I hope you like what's coming up in a while...Cheers mate... biggrin.gif ...

mALX...Glad you liked it...I really enjoyed writing that one...More me that chapter I think... tongue.gif ...

Acadian...Thank you so much, your words are always encouraging and I thank you for the compliments you paid in your message...*Salutes*...

Grits... biggrin.gif ...Yes, Mia is on her way to Anvil...All hell will break loose methinks... biggrin.gif ...Big stuff for her soonish...Cheers so much, glad you liked it also!... biggrin.gif ...

Athynae...Sorry about the Skyrim stuff...I keep forgetting not everyone knows it all...Hopefully I've gone some way to correcting that with the intro to this one...

Thank y'all so much...

NEW PARTS!!!!...

There are some words in these sections upcoming that some people may not get...Here is a list of the most likely and links to explainations...

Dwemer

An Illustration of Dwemer architecture Not a great representation, maybe there’s better elsewhere...But the Dwemer seem to fuse magic and technology...At least in my story they do... biggrin.gif ...It looks kinda Steampunk, with lots of brass coloured steam-driven pistons and cogs and stuff like that...Y’know...Oh Google it!... tongue.gif ...

Impeller. And this Which lead to these and this prettyness.

Where we are...

It is 171 years after the events of Oblivion. The Altmer/Bosmer joint ruling council, The Second Aldmeri Dominion has begun a bid for world domination. Having annexed the southern half of Valenwood, they now push north overland in one offensive, and head for Anvil on the Gold Coast of Cyrodiil with a second wave, a huge naval force. The initial attempt by the Altmer Elite General Derlar to force the surrender by threatening the Empress has failed...However, the navy is unaware of this turn of events...

1.12 – Empire (pt.2)

3E 604 – Approximately 1.5 Miles off the coast of Anvil, Cyrodiil.

Fleet Admiral Nol Areldur of the Great Altmer Navy, looked up from the map for the tenth time today, pinched the bridge of his nose, and walked to the handrail at the front of the bridge of his ship, The Pride of Alinor.

The ship was three hundred years old – half Areldur’s age – and Areldur had been its Captain first, and then, when he quickly rose in rank, to the very top of the command chain, Areldur chose it as his flagship.

It – and he – had sailed around the globe more times than any other vessel in existence, the Dwemer impellers below the waters having pushed it to or past so many wonders – the giant Mariarly Reef at Pyargnarngan; The boiling seas at Narm; The Fliedhe Wrong off Yokuda.

Areldur had taken the Pride of Alinor to the very edge of the current’s pull towards The Great Mistake, the mile high – at a guess – upward flowing step of water that legend has it, surrounds the lost continent of Aldmeris, where other legends have it, the Altmer nation was sundered from. Having sailed all the way around The Great Mistake and looked up in wonder, with his crew, at the eye-watering wrongness of the wall of water, it’s hard to see how the Great Altmer Nation managed to get down in the first place.

It was hard to imagine a port that the Admiral had not stopped at; a people not traded with; a pirate of the Eltheric Ocean, Azuran or Abeccan Seas not chased and battled.

And for all those miles full of wonders and peoples, Nol Areldur found it hard to imagine how he’d wind up having to take orders from someone so mind bogglingly stupid as Supreme Commander of The Thalmor Invasion Force, Merhal Tcheet.

Dear Gods, even the pirates had some sense of honour...and basic sea tactics. How in the name of Auri-El had he come to this?

Areldur sighed, took one more look along the length of his mighty ship and turned around, leaning back against the front guard-rail.

“For the thousandth time, we cannot and I will not order, the driving forward at full speed.”

“Admiral-” started Tcheet.

Fleet Admiral.”

“I apologise, Fleet Admiral Areldur, who exactly is in command here? Hmmm? I am tired of sitting here for the...However many days it has been now, watching my men heave over the side over the boat.”

Areldur sharply drew breath. “Commander Tcheet-”

Supreme Commander.” The other greasily added.

“Most Supreme Commander, I have been on this ship for twice the time your father has been alive. I have seen things that would make your immaculately preened hair turn white. And even you must realise that a wall of cloud that define the edges of a box, that when a ship goes near, it turns said around and pushes it back the way it came, cannot be less than a trap.”

Areldur had to grant that the cloud covering them was light enough to see well, but not thin enough to see through.

He continued, “We have lost the compasses’ ability to give a reading...Something is stopping them working, therefore we have lost all sense of direction. Our impellers are all at station keeping, but given my experience, I’m convinced the entire square that the fleet covers has been turned around more than once. Even if we could get through that,” he pointed at the cloud, “for all we know, we could dash on the rocks as soon as we were out.”

The Supreme Commander’s jaw was still slack and the shock still evident. “They’ve turned the water around?”

“I suspect so,” Areldur answered and then smirked, “and you want to invade them.”

“The Aldmeri Dominion will cover the world. Glory to the Thalmor.” The commander said without feeling.

The Admiral bowed his head, put his hands into the pockets of his greatcoat, turned his back on the Supreme Commander and said under his breath, “I do so hope not.”

Fleet Admiral Nol Areldur looked out at the clouds and thought, Whatever you’re going to do, do it now...Please?..

When the universe failed to comply, Areldur sighed. He was about to turn around when he caught sight of his oldest friend in the fleet, Commodore Siar Eremnor, pacing along the deck of his ship, the giant battleship, The Sword of Dusk. Eremnor turned his head towards Nol smiled briefly and continued his pacing, hands behind his back. Areldur was about to turn away when the Commodore hand flashed in signal, the words “Port in view.” Which made the Admiral smile. The old naval equivalent of “Are we there yet?”

“What was that?” asked the Supreme Commander behind him, obviously having witnessed the exchange.

Areldur counted to ten and then turned to face the man. “Nothing Supreme Commander, a status report, nothing more.”

Merhal Tcheet was looking decidedly green, the Admiral decided. He wondered how much was down to the sea. Ye Gods, he’s younger than some of my grandchildren, thought Areldur. “How much time have you actually spent at sea Merhal?”

The Supreme Commander frowned briefly at the familiar use of his name, but then softened and answered, “We went on manoeuvres to practice the voyage and landings, around the islands out in the Abeccan. A few weeks maybe.” He shrugged. “I spent a lot of time studying though, General Derlar-”

The Admiral snorted at the name.

Having heard the objections before, Tcheet continued, “General Derlar briefed me on much of what to expect and had me study naval tactics and the such-like.

“My father, the Overlord, personally chose me for this for my skills Admiral, so please don’t treat me like a child.”

“That’s unfair Merhal, I know very well who your father is, and exactly why he chose you. I’m not treating you like a child, you’re responsible for the lives of thousands of people here, and be honest, you may be an exceptional warrior on land, but this,” he gestured out, “is not the most familiar of territories for you.

“Well, it is for me.” He gestured for the young man to follow and walked to the side-rail and looked down. “If you think you have seen almost everything the sea can throw at you, she’ll find something new to surprise you with. All you can do is follow the currents that you’re on now and hope that she doesn’t choose to dash you on the rocks as soon as look at you.”

“Are we talking about women now?” Merhal had obviously got the point, but smiled as the question was asked.

Nol laughed, “You may as well say I have been married three times. Two of them were loving marriages, bore children, but ultimately failed because they couldn’t compete with my first love...Wife.”

Tcheet smiled perplexedly and shook his head.

Areldur continued, “A wise man called Hogarth once observed,

‘I’ve seen too much of life,
So the sea is my wife,
And the sweet ocean cloud is the mistress I’m allowed,
For now.’”

Merhal looked up at the clouds and simply said, “I’d rethink your taste in mistresses if I were you.”

Nol shook his head with a smile. He looked at the Supreme Commander, who was again, looking perplexed. “Leave the sea stuff to me lad. I know what I’m doing.” He sighed and looked down at the sea, “I know how much this means. As soon as we know what this is,” he gestured upwards, “we’ll find a way out, and you’ll get your glory from your father, don’t worry.” He smiled.

Merhal inhaled deeply and nodded, seemingly satisfied. “Glory to the Thalmor.”

“Indeed.”

They paused a while, the only sound was the gentle hum of the impellers, holding them in place. The young Altmer broke the quiet.

“What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen out there Fleet Admiral?”

Areldur didn’t pause before starting, “The Alinor was out on in the middle of the Padomaic Ocean when all four of the impellers failed, just stopped dead. Nothing could be done with them...There was a brief moment of worry, I will admit. The Padomaic is a big expanse of water to be marooned on. There was nothing from horizon to horizon, no land, no ships. It was as flat as a mirror...So still.” He paused for a time. “Rather than let the crew go to despair, I allowed the...rations to be broken out and a celebration of sorts began below decks. Knowing that these things often go better without the commander watching, I left and went for a walk on the deck. We’d left no watch as there seemed no need. So, I was alone with the still, moonlit ocean...Or so I thought.

I turned around and saw the most beautiful and terrifying sight I have ever had the fortunate misfortune of.”

“Wait, this is the ghost story isn’t it? This is the Mriizeleft. Hah! Pull the other one Admiral, you’re not telling me you saw it?”

“You look into my eyes and tell me I’m joking.”

The Commander’s jaw fell again.

“It was indeed, the lost dwemer Greatship, The Mriizeleft. I watched it approach, draw next to us, no further away than that next ship...So big...It dwarfed – for want of a better word – the Alinor...” Areldur shook his head, “Massive ship...Anyway, it passed so close I could see up into some of the windows. I think the most disquieting thing about it were the lights in some of them.

It passed by slowly, its impellers constant. Then it was away, and I watched it towards the horizon until I couldn’t pick its lights out amongst the stars.

The entire time from first seeing it to losing it in the night, I felt as though I was being watched.” Nol squeezed the handrail as he said, “It was the most beautiful ship I have ever seen.”

“Were you rescued quickly?”

Nol laughed shortly, “Oh, that was the best bit. I stood on deck looking at the horizon long after I’d lost sight of the Mriizeleft. I almost jumped out of my skin as a ship-man touched my elbow, I hadn’t heard him trying to talk to me. That was when the impellers all started up again. As if nothing had happened...Well, I ordered full speed on the heading I knew the ship had taken, but we never caught up with it.”

There was suddenly applause and an Argonian voice said, “Oooh!! That was excellent!! Do you know ‘The Mystery of Sar Tharen’? Maybe you could tell that one too?!”

Nol turned around and beheld a giant, silver-blue Argonian in Knights of The Nine armour. If he hadn’t been pressed against the rail already, the Altmer Admiral would have taken a step back.

For all the Supreme Commander’s faults, one of them was not his prowess in battle. Areldur suspected this was why it took the whole of ten seconds before Tcheet was lying unconscious, slumped against the cabin’s front wall.

“Call them off.” The Argonian gestured to the approaching soldiery. “I want to talk, that’s all.”

Areldur paused, ordered a halt and waved the guards to descend the stairs again.

“Knight-Commander J’Drell, I presume?”

J’Drell nodded, “And you’re Marn Areldur’s cousin, Nol.”

“You know my cousin?” Asked Nol with surprise.

“Yes, he’s also a Knight of The Nine, one of the original actually.”

“And yet he doesn’t lead you?”

What?!” J’Drell frowned and smiled at the same time, shook his head and mumbled something about bloody Altmers, and then he said, “No, not quite. It’s a long story and we don’t have time.” J’Drell offered Tcheet’s sword, pommel first to Areldur, “Let’s talk about how we can save some lives, yes?”

---------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Mar 8 2012, 10:16 PM
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 8 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #209

Master
Group Icon

That Empress is a handful, isn't she? nono.gif

Areldur had taken the Pride of Alinor to the very edge of the current’s pull towards The Great Mistake, the mile high – at a guess – upward flowing step of water that legend has it, surrounds the lost continent of Aldmeris, where other legends have it, the Altmer nation was sundered from.

The name of the ship is pretty cool. I like how you explained some of the description of The Great Mistake and the lore behind the water.

“That’s unfair Merhal, I know very well who your father is, and exactly why he chose you. I’m not treating you like a child, you’re responsible for the lives of thousands of people here, and be honest, you may be an exceptional warrior on land, but this,” he gestured out, “is not the most familiar of territories for you.

It is remarkable how one that is young or an amateur can hold the lives of thousands. It's a great responsibility that would have dire consequences if not taken care of.

Overall, you give some of the Altmer some new light I have never seen. I always regarded them as stuck-up, prideful golden rods but here you show a competent military force. It is no wonder the Thalmor got so far in their conquests. They are, in most ways, more efficient than the Empire.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.â€
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 9 2012, 01:57 AM
Post #210

Paladin
Group Icon

Very evocative sea stories, with just the right ring of detail and mystery. What stories the admiral’s six hundred years could surely tell! Loved the Dwemer ghost ship. As one with over a thousand days underway on naval vessels, I can attest that the sea can indeed be an unforgiving mistress.

Then an interruption by a Knight of the Nine who came aboard The Pride of Alinor by means of. . . Argonians are quite aquatic after all, aren’t they? wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 9 2012, 05:34 AM
Post #211

Councilor
Group Icon

Darkness Eternal!!...Hello mate!!...Thank you so much for reading these last couple of chapters...Much appreciated...

Yes, the Empress is a handful, but that comes from her heratige... biggrin.gif ...And she's a red-head...They're trouble they are...Watch them...Watch them carefully... tongue.gif ...

The Ship names are always fun...The books I read tend to have spaceship names so I get a load of them jumping at me...I had much fun with the names for the upcoming sections... biggrin.gif ...Hope you like the others...

As for the Altmer...Thank you! *Bows in thanks*...I read somewhere that your heroes are only as good as your enemies...So the Altmer had to be credible at least in order for their flattening to be truly satisfying for me... laugh.gif ...

As for the Empire...We've had 170 years of the Knights of The Nine, in this universe at least...And there's some very clever people in there...This ain't yer Daddy's Empire no more... wink.gif ...As you'll see...Or sea...

Acadian!!!...I thank you so much...Glad the ghost ship got yer attention... biggrin.gif ...The name of it made me giggle a little when I...Well...Appropriated it... laugh.gif ...

Thank you...

What stories the admiral’s six hundred years could surely tell!

Funny you should say that... biggrin.gif ...

Then an interruption by a Knight of the Nine who came aboard The Pride of Alinor by means of. . .

Some of those very clever people I mentioned...All will be...Revealed...Or should I say...Unshrouded...

biggrin.gif ...

Thank you both so much...Appreciated...
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 9 2012, 05:35 AM
Post #212

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, I love this part! As usual I was immediately captivated by your characters and the setting. Nol’s telling of his Mriizeleft sighting was exactly right. I would read a whole book of his stories. The ship’s Dwemer technology adds another fascinating layer to the story world.

And then J’Drell! I have high hopes that he and the Fleet Admiral can work something out. If they’re not hindered too much by young Supreme Commanders. You’ve given me things to think about and made me reconsider the Thalmor.

This whole section was pure enjoyment to read, every time. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 10 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #213

Master
Group Icon

Mriizeleft

I see what you did there. Most cunning, sir.

Anyway, enjoyed the part once more, especially the relating of the Admirals' various experiences, and J'Drell's entry was suitably impressive indeed.

All in all, good stuff.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 10 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #214

Master
Group Icon

1.11, Part 6

[quote]The base of the tree blew sideways, and the canopy made its inexorable way down to the ground. Several of the group failed to avoid the falling tree and ceased to be a problem.[/quote]

That turn of phrase just strikes my peculiar sense of humor.

[quote]Suddenly the Khajiit held a hand up and the pack stopped.[/quote]

Doggone clever Khajiit trackers! Where is some catnip (or moon sugar) when your need it?

[quote]Exhaustion finally taking him, he fell forward and off the horse. All three became visible and as Galasafon hit the floor, he heard a cry of triumph from the Khajiit.[/quote]

Urf.

[quote]The tops of these were decorated with various repeated motifs. Not all of these seemed very pleasant. Unless you really liked bearded creepy men that is.[/quote]

Not that there’s anything WRONG with that….

[quote]“Your faithfulness,” she kissed his chest.

“Will always be,” his stomach.

“Rewarded.”[/quote]

I just have a bad feeling about this…

And the entire part AFTER that- just… WOW!

Julianos

[quote]None of what you’ve been told is the truth. Not all of what you’ve been told is a lie.

Remember this.[/quote]

Cryptic much, Julianos?

[quote]You never knew this, and what you knew you have forgotten.

The Truth.[/quote]

And that is another “wow” part.

1.11, Part 7

[quote]As Julianos was distracted, he failed to notice a cow walk up to the pond. Swish its tail and then drink in the pool.[/quote]

And it is the little touches that I love so much.

[quote]During the Dawn War, the energies and violence unleashed on both sides was so great that cracks had been rent in the multiverse. The They/Them had closed most of them out there. But some of the small fissures had been missed, and Julianos' home being as vast as it was, contained a few of them. Some things would appear, he would be told where, and the small Divine would go and look with genuine excitement. Sometimes it was nothing more than a fruit, sometimes more. Julianos had once had to entice a cow to follow to him to the Paradise room. A thought which still amused him when it passed through his vast and ancient memory.[/quote]

A long quote- but one that highlights a passage I simply love.

And- and… Darnand’s journal! Woo Hoo!

[quote]A chime sounded and the glass panel on the wooden box lit up blue. A scrawl appeared on the glass…[/quote]

Aedric IM?

[quote]In an age before the Dawn War, Julianos had watched everyone's work be for naught as one or other's creations fell. So he decided that if he were to create something, they would be invincible and ageless. Adaptable and intelligent. Strong and determined. Unbeatable. He would only need one if he made it right.[/quote]

That could be a problem- especially if he does it right.

[quote]All of them brilliant.

All of them the same.

All of them as different to each other in actuality as the same in appearance.

All of them as mad as a box of cats.[/quote]

Yes- a slight problem.

[quote]"Firstly, can you tell me why you're on Masser?"

"It is quiet?" [/quote]

Smile.

And the whole part is most excellently done- love the visuals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Athynae
post Mar 11 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #215

Knower
Group Icon

Not surprising that I really enjoyed this especially, when I was a kid I loved historical novels about the sea, mostly pirate stories but...anyway, good stuff. The pics were awesome too.That trimaran is truly something special.

This quote made me wonder if he was an ancestor of Thyna's somehow

so mind bogglingly stupid as Supreme Commander of The Thalmor Invasion Force, Merhal Tcheet.

It has to be hard to think of taking orders from someone younger than oneself but....
Ye Gods, he’s younger than some of my grandchildren

that is just stupid...lol. Taking orders from someone that much younger than you takes something special.

I absolutely loved the part about the ghost ship, wonderful descriptions so much that I could see it.

Woohoo, J'Drell, I like him biggrin.gif

Great stuff my fuzzy friend, can't wait for more...

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 11 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #216

Ancient
Group Icon

This whole chapter was outstanding, LOVED it !!! Great Write !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 17 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #217

Master
Group Icon

16th Day

The shifting through time makes sense in a “slap my head- why didn’t I think of that” sort of way for beings which exist outside of Time. Plus, it makes for great storytelling possiblilties.

[quote]Two overturns of the calendyear and I’ll be fourteen, how grown up do I have to be? [/quote]

That is one of those things one should NEVER say- along with “what could go wrong?” and “How bad could it be?”

[quote]The Dragon continued its climb for a few seconds until a sword removed its head from its body.

The two parts continued upwards for a distance, stopped and then started to fall, separated.

Myrrl enjoyed the rushing air as he fell, and watched the ground come towards him for a time.[/quote]

I admit to a slight ambivalence here- but no more than that.

[quote]Even with the travel portals, Commander J’Drell and his oh so amazing Armeris - even if they were on their way - would be hours yet. Ours being stuck behind the shield. The dark haired girl thought.

Someone should have planned that better.[/quote]

Yes- a COUPLE of “someone’s” perhaps….

[quote]Danikka was stunned as Muir-El made a shouting noise and then started applauding himself![/quote]

Just loved that bit.

[quote]He moved the giant finger away, aware that that may not be the greatest way to wake up, for a human at least.[/quote]

Possibly not…

[quote]“Am I in trouble?” she asked.

“Ooooh!!...More than you can imagine,” the commander replied with a laugh, “Myrrl wants me to train you for the Armeris.”[/quote]

Trouble for sure.

[quote]The Argonian frowned, “You get to explore the ruins.” He said raising his eyebrows again.

Well, that sold it.[/quote]

Perfect. I loved the whole section.

1.11 (Interlude Part 2)

[quote]Myrrl tilted his head and answered. “All. Of. Them. The eleven Divines. The truth. Is there a problem with the truth Lord Akatosh? Aldmeris may be the only country in the world that knows the actual truth, no?”[/quote]

Cue organ music…

[quote]Myrrl then turned his head. “Lord Akatosh, the information I gave the Aldmerians was only the truth. It is only information. It has not caused any grief, panic, terror or otherwise. The people of Aldmeris have far more pressing concerns, such as ‘Please Gods let me have some crops to tend and also could I not be eaten today?’. The country is too busy to be worried by dogma and division over religion. As it should be. Please let us not be at odds over this?”[/quote]

Excellent.

21st Daytime

[quote]Dear Gods does she ever shut up?! Thought J’Drell.[/quote]

Quoted without comment.

[quote]The girl ran through the form drill and J’Drell had to admit that Danikka was a fast learner. And a surprisingly hard worker, given her tendency to pout.

And my Gods she could talk.[/quote]

See previous lack of comment.

[quote]“Well, there was a voice first. It said ‘Why is it only I get sent to silly girls out in the middle of nowhere, hmm?’ then a white haired old man in strange dress appeared. He was frowning. And then he said to me ‘Mark well girl, and remember.’ Then he put his hands together and opened them like it was a book. I felt a burning in my mind.” Danikka carefully put a hand to her head, “..And then...Then there were some pictures of mountains and stuff...And then the old man raised an eyebrow, grabbed the edges of his jacket by his chest, said ‘Hmmph!’ and disappeared.”[/quote]

And THAT is how any gods one would care to meet SHOULD manifest themselves.

[quote]“We have an old journal in the house, a very old journal.” She said, frowning at J’Drell. “The Knights of The Nine. You’re a Knight of The Nine. From Tamriel. You’re in the journal. It’s not just someone with the same name is it?, it is you isn’t it?”

J’Drell looked down at the floor and dug at the ground with the point of the sword. He slowly nodded, not looking up. “Cyrodiil.”

“How the hells is it you? How old are you anyway?! How did we get the journal?”

“Well...” J’Drell scratched the back of his neck, “Long story, ageless and I look at you now and remember something I should never have forgotten. Someone.”

“Who?”

“Nevermind.”

“Tell me!”

J’Drell frowned and said “Remember who you’re talking to girl.”

Danikka pouted.[/quote]

Simply LOVE that whole bit of interaction.

“[quote]Anyway, why does she keep calling him Myrrl?”

J’Drell winced and looked down briefly “Because that’s his name?”[/quote]

Hehe

1.12 (Empire Part 1)

First- the whole part is simply wonderful.

[quote]“You can end this without loss of life. All you have to do is surrender, right here, right now.”[/quote]

Riiiight…

[quote]Mia McWylde was about to speak when her son said,

The words died in the Empress’ open mouth as she looked at her son.

“Only Olfsson said I should kick people I don’t like in the nuts.”

“Did he indeed?” The Empress looked around at Cairn Olfsson who had the good grace to look embarrassed. “We are at court Robert, can you mind your manners?”

“No!

“We used to call then Jerbey’s in my day and then only-”

“MADAM! You are in a dire situation. Could you please give it some damned respect!!”

“You mind your language in front of my children man! Now, what do you know of me?”[/quote]

Simply brilliant and hilarious.

[quote]The Empress leaned forward with a particularly venomous smile. “No, that’s my biography, I said what do you know of me?” [/quote]

Which allows me to trot out one of my favorite bits of wisdom- “The map is NOT the territory.”

[quote]You said it all yourself, Knight of The Nine? Nordic Legend of a father? Most powerful woman in the world for a mother? And I’m the kriffing Empress you idiot! Any idea of the power that gives you? And I mean literally not figuratively. And you genuinely thought that you seven ever held a slightest threat to me? HAH!”[/quote]

And that is what SHOULD have happened before Skyrim.

[quote]“Meet the Zephyr Wraith, for want of a better name...I call him Keith.” She smiled back at the wraith. “Developed by the finest minds in Cyrodiil, they came up with the ultimate defence for the Shroud. You see, you still make people shaped air pockets when you move.” The Empress shrugged. “They saw, they warned us, you were followed.”[/quote]

ROFL- and of course they do.

[quote]Two fast talking children rushed at the Empress, and it was with a wince at the squeal from the Altmer General that she realised that the answer “Yes of course!” had gone to the wrong question. As the little princess had run to her with, “Mummy! Mummy!! Did I do good? Was I a brave girl?” the prince had simply asked at the same time, “Please can I kick him in the nuts now?”[/quote]

And that one left ME gasping for breath- for different reasons fortunately.

[quote]The scene changed to all the soldiers spinning around the room as if dancing formally, hand in hand and hand on back, all in a large circle. Music was coming from all around them, with no visible means.[/quote]

Oopsie.

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 22 2012, 07:22 AM
Post #218

Councilor
Group Icon

Treydog...Seriously, words cannot express the gratitude I have towards you...*Manly hugs and pats on back*...Seriously...

Athynae...So many thanks...Yes, it's always difficult taking orders from younger peoples, but as Areldur is 600 years old, most people can be younger... biggrin.gif ...And Tcheet is the son of the Overlord...And Nol has no choice in the matter...

Thank you so much though...Always appreciated..

mALX...Many many thanks, glad you're still reading...

Mustard...Cheers... biggrin.gif ...Like I said to Acadian, I was giggling when I managed to Elder Scrolls that name... laugh.gif ...Thanks also for still being around...*Manly hugs also...*...

BTW...I'd many hug you ladies too, but...Y'know...

Grits!!!...Wow...Cheers...A whole book?...Yes, I'll see about that if I ever finish this story... laugh.gif ...And the Dwemer tech in Skyrim is one of the pleasures of it, so I thought it appropriate for the naval stuff...

So many many thanks...

Oooh!!...*Manly air hugs for the laydeez...*... laugh.gif ...

Reet...NEW PARTS!!!...Which don't really follow on from anything before!!!...Stop groaning... laugh.gif ...It's some history stuff...Please enjoy!!...

EDIT...The Empire storyline takes place in the year 3E 604...So these X-years ago are dated from then...

1.12 Empire – (pt.3, Know Thine Enemy – i)

30 years ago. The city of Dusk, Summerset Isles.

Commodore Siar Eremnor walked carefully along a quayside of the city on the south-eastern corner of the Summerset Isles, Dusk. Cowled and caped against both the chill of the air and watching eyes; Lightly but strongly armoured against ill-intent of any kind, the Commodore stopped several times, or walked into deep shadow in order to make sure he wasn’t being followed.

Siar looked northward, towards the main city. Dusk was his favourite city on Nirn. The place of his birth, the name of his ship, everything he held dear was here, in this city.

The only thing that could genuinely be called cosmopolitan on the somewhat staid Summerset Isles, Dusk was truly an international port. The only place goods and peoples from around the world were allowed to officially land. This had had the effect of turning the whole place into a melting pot of cultures and languages. It was an explosion of peoples, speech, music, colours, clothes, food, drink and dance. But possibly the worst crime to the city’s name, it was a place of ideas, prevented from “Infecting” the rest of the isles by the simple matter of geography, for beyond the gentle, gradual slope of the Graylie Hills beyond the edge of the city, lay the sheer sided, snow-capped granite of the Tarsuschii Mountain range, that ran southwest to northeast across the lower corner of the main island. And the only ways past them were along the two highways around the coast, and thus through the walled towns of North and West Checkpoint. The pair straddling the highways, like bloated Giants demanding a toll.

The slim, black haired Altmer made his way carefully through the whole of Dusk’s harbour district. The shine of the Knimidium powered street-lighting sparse here, lending an air of the classic to the evening.

‘The Well-Carved Mermaid’ was the quintessential sea-dog inn, small enough to be pleasant, yet big enough to “have a decent swing at yer ship-swine of a cousin”, should a chap need one. Jaunty music was playing in the corner, quiet enough to be considered background, yet loud enough that a hundred hushed conversations could take place without fear of eavesdropping.

Eremnor let his eyes acclimatise to the dark. He turned towards the bar and went over and ordered an ale, while he surreptitiously scanned the booths around the outside. Spotting a likely one, he paid the inn-keeper and walked towards it. Seated in the booth were three men, all cowled, caped and armoured, similar to him.

Recognising the two Fleet Admirals - Nol Areldur and Jeck Harramaund, along with-

“About bloody time kid!” Growled the Oversaar of the entire Altmer navy, Miitr Farrada.

Not many people could get away with calling a four and a half century old Altmer Commodore, kid, and get away with it, but then again, Farrada wasn’t your usual Commander-In-Chief. It was also a measure of how long the men at the table had known each other.

“What? Did you stop to see my sister at the brothel?..Again.” continued the white haired, almost portly Farrada.

“No, your mother. She sends her love.” Eremnor answered with a raised eyebrow.

The other’s steel-grey eyes stared over for a short while before Farrada grinned and said, “Well, as long as she cooks me breakfast in the morning.”

There was handshakes all around and the briefest of catching up with Harramaund before the Oversaar reached under the table and brought out some folders with official seals on them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Right gentlemen,” started the Oversaar, “we have a total clusterfus of a situation, and it stinks worse than an Argonian garbage scow in the height of summer. Oostermann and his Thalmer finally got into power.”

There was a deep sighing from around the table.

“Except this time it’s Thalmor.”

“From One-elf to One-world?” asked Areldur.

“Didn’t he try this a hundred years ago?” Eremnor added.

“Yeah, but the Cyrodiilian supertrio of Ocato, Ormandin and McWylde – which sound like a sinister firm of solicitors – put their oars in, and he was dismissed as irrelevant.” Answered Harramaund.

“But now the damned idiot managed to get the army behind him. Something about communing with ‘the Divine Arkay’ to convince them to get behind the idea.”

The three younger High-Elves looked at Farrada with disbelief for a short while before Eremnor picked up his ale, drank a bit then asked, “Who?”

The older man smirked, raised his eyebrow and announced, “General Ofwysyn Tcheet.”

More groaning.

“Well, that makes some sense I suppose, if not a pleasant idea. He’s been on about being blessed by Arkay himself for years hasn’t he? This is what he says gives him and his ‘Elite troops’ their power.” Said Areldur.

The Oversaar nodded. “Anyway, it won’t be long before them and their ‘Second Aldmeri Dominion’ start digging their claws into us, so, to keep you out of harms’ way, lest you three decide to do something stupid,” Farrada raised his eyebrows meaningfully, “here’s your orders. Areldur and Eremnor, you’ll be taking the Third Fleet along with some clever mage-ish people to do shipwreck mapping and also some land and stellar cartography for Ormandin’s University. And you, my dear Harramaund are taking the Fourth to Black Marsh. Inter-Naval, anti-piracy protection of Argonian garbage scows off Lilmoth.” He grinned at Harramaund’s falling face. “At least it’ll be quiet, nothing much ever happens off Lilmoth.

“Oh yes, long duration stays. The stores at Firsthold await both your storeships. You pick the map-makers up off Anvil, by the way. See you all in ten years. Auri-El willing.”

The men drank up. Picked up their respective orders, shook hands and left.

----------------------------------------------------------------

20 years ago. Dusk harbour district, Summerset Isles.

Siar Eremnor thought much had changed in the ten years since these four men had sat together around the same table.

For one, the inn-keeper had changed the name of the inn to ‘The Sailor’s Cape’. This had seemingly had the effect of drawing more customers to the place. Thus, more conversations to hide behind.

Dusk itself was more subdued, quieter, not so festive.

Damned Thalmor. Thought Eremnor. Tcheet’s security force, the Justicars were prowling around, seemingly around every corner, making everyone nervous about doing anything.

But maybe the worst change was to Miitr Farrada, the steel-grey eyes still had their fierce burning behind them, but he was physically half the Altmer he’d been. The Oversaar was almost skeletal. Pale and drawn, with thinning hair, it was a wonder that Farrada had managed the trip. Eremnor had also noticed that a nagging cough had been punctuating the whole of Farrada’s conversation.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Anyways, good to see you boys-coughcough-aaachh!...Sadly, there’s never enough time these days.” The old man sighed, “Look, things are bad up there,” Farrada pointed over his shoulder with his thumb, towards the capitol, Alinor, “Tcheet wants to go out and conquer-coughcough-everyone, and Oostermann keeps telling him to wait and follow Arkay’s plan, whatever that is...But of course, Cyrodiil’s looking all weak and vulnerable with McWylde gone, so he’s like a slaughterfish to blood..coughcough...And all the time-coughcough-Tcheet’s trying to get control of all the militaries, and the Mage’s Bureau, the Libraricon, The Information-Coll-cough-Aaargh! Damn...Collatoria. He wants everything...Fortunately they’re all up in Lillandril, out of the way.”

There was a pause as the old man sipped his water, “They’ve banned Talos worship, just stripped him from the temples.”

“Bet that pleased The Knights of The Nine.” Said Jeck Harramaund.

Coughcough...” Farrada nodded and sat there simply breathing for a while.

Eremnor looked over the table at Nol Areldur, but he was focused on the Oversaar, his sea-blue eyes filled with as much pain as Eremnor was feeling at seeing their friend so...Diminished.

Finally, Farrada said, “They had the Knights banished from the Isles on penalty of death if they return...The Mage’s Guild has been hobbled, because of Ormandin presumably. Cyrodiil’s embassy is still open here in Dusk at least, but they’ve had to remove anything that is...Talos related.”

“So how are they getting their Knimidium?” Asked Harramaund.

Coughcough...Not...” The old man shook his head, “Taking the lights down and breaking them up. Mages having to go back to old ways...Not...Easy...”

Farrada reached down under the table and pulled up two files. “Nol, Siar, go map some archipelagos on the far side of the Padomaic. Jeck, pirate chasing.” The old man’s eyes misted over. “Lads, we’re in trouble...I don’t know how-coughcough-long...” He looked them all in the eye, then shook his head, “I don’t know how long I can keep Tcheet out of the navy...If he does...” The Oversaar sighed, “If he does, be good Altmer boys and wait. We’re High-Elves, we play the long game very well...Coughcough...Oostermann and Tcheet will be at each other’s throats soon enough. Find the people you can trust. Make some standing orders to take it all back again.” He smiled, “for me.”

“Ach, you’ll be at the front, leading.” Said Nol.

“HAH!-coughcoughcough.” Miitr Farrada smiled, patted the side of Areldur’s face with affection and shook his head.

“Go!!...I don’t want to spend any more time with you maudlin women...Go on, stop darkening my days-coughcough-Aach!!...”

“Ten years?” asked Harramaund.

Miitr Farrada smiled, raised his eyebrows and nodded.

Areldur did the un-Altmerish thing of hugging the old man, then he stood up, kept his head down and walked straight out of the inn.

Farrada watched him leave, “Look after him, boys. This will be hard on Nol.”

Siar’s eyes misted as he shook the Oversaar’s hand and covered them with his left hand. Farrada nodded.

Harramaund did the same.

The two old friends stood up, picked up their orders, saluted Farrada and left.

Miitr Farrada watched them leave then said quietly, “Love you too boys.”

He drank his water, then stood up and left.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 years ago. Padomaic Ocean.

What the maps declared as Batracci Island was obviously once an Imperial outpost. There was a man-made deep harbour, deep enough for the Pride of Alinor and The Sword of Dusk, and many of the other larger vessels. There was small village built around it, a testament to the Imperialist “We can own anywhere” attitude. A fort had been built into the accessible parts of an ancient Dwemer city. Throughout the settlement, there were books, furnishings and assorted trinkets aplenty. There were also, against all odds, wells in both the village and the fort, and a free-running stream of clean, fresh water just a ways out into the grove out into the islands interior.

The Triinachii Archipelago was a chain of small islands, the largest of which was Batracci. From the highest point on the island (Nol had taken to calling it Mount Farrada, a joke the old man would have appreciated.) it was possible to see from horizon to horizon over the top of the other small islands. At the opposite end of the Archipelago was a small colony of Redguards from Yokuda. Why they’d never found the fort and its shelter was beyond Nol.

Batracci made both a good staging point for the Fleet, and a chance for all the sailors to stretch their legs at some point. Areldur gave thanks to whichever expansionist Emperor created this oasis in the deep sea.

Nol breathed deeply of the sea air and looked up to the sky. The high cloud suggested that there may be a chance of storms coming soon. The Altmer sighed, turned and was about to descend from the fort tower he was currently on when he glanced up at Mount Farrada. He could see signalling from the top, Ships Incoming, repeated over and over. Nol put his hand up and signalled the acknowledgement, then started barking orders for crews to make ready.

------------------------------------------

Some time later, Nol Areldur, Siar Eremnor and Head of Fleet Security, Colonel Rae Treort, stood on the harbour watching a sleek, black ship enter the harbour and pull to a stop next to a set of stairs. The flag that it bore on its single mast, the only reason it hadn’t been blown out of the water by the watch-ships.

The Thalmor.

Areldur watched as a group emerged from the cabin at the back of the main deck. A man garbed in the dark trouser and shirt outfit, covered by the long black, hooded overcoat of one of Tcheet’s Justicars walked to the edge of the ship and stepped confidently onto the stone stairs, followed by two security soldiers, in full elvish armour no less.

Areldur found himself smirking. Bet that’s hot. He thought to himself.

Several other fully armoured Thalmor stood at points along the deck, watching the harbour.

“Something amuses you Fleet Admiral?” asked the Justicar as he approached the trio.

“Just pleased to see a...Friendly face, Justicar?”

“Ecclensivar.”

Areldur inclined his head to the Thalmor. “To what do I owe this...Pleasure, Justicar?”

“Six months ago, Oversaar Farrada died.” Began the Thalmor.

Areldur raised his eyebrow, Stubborn old man wouldn’t give up...Four years though?

Ecclensivar was still talking, “And so Overlord Tcheet now commands the Navy personally. It has taken to some time to find the orders concerning your fleet, Admiral. They were seemingly deliberately vague as to location. Similar to that of the Fourth Fleet.”

“Mapping archipelagos, what can I say? Sail up and down the ocean until you find one, stop, map it and move on. Can’t write home you know?..How did you know to look here by the way?”

The Justicar wrinkled his nose, and his face betrayed his rising anger. “Fleet Admiral Areldur, we are aware of the connections between yourself, Fleet Admiral Harramaund and the Oversaar. The Overlord is willing to put your...Absence, down to Farrada’s-”

Oversaar Farrada.” Areldur narrowed his eyes.

The Thalmor nodded slowly, “Oversaar Farrada’s overzealous and completely unjustified protection of his navy. You are hearby ordered to end your...Mapping, and make at top speed for The Isles, where you will be given new assignment. Possibly.”

It was Areldur’s turn to get angry. “Is that a threat?”

“Nonesense, Fleet Admiral. I have no need for threats. The Overlord’s orders are clear. Follow them. Now.” The Justicar turned to leave.

“How exactly did Farrada die? Was it his illness?” asked Eremnor.

“Oh no! He drowned himself in the ornamental pond outside the Crystal Tower.” Ecclensivar answered casually, over his shoulder.

Areldur looked round at Eremnor, “The Oversaar of the Navy, drowned?”

The Justicar wheeled around, greatcoat billowing, and walked swiftly towards the Fleet Admiral.

Areldur noted Colonel Treort taking a step into the front and blocked the Justicar’s progress. The Thalmor bodyguards drew their swords.

The shorter Colonel looked up at the Justicar and growled. “The Fleet Admiral has asked two questions. I suggest you answer them both.”

“Is that a threat Colonel?” The shocked Justicar asked.

“Yes, it damned well is boy. You’re a hell of a long way from home to be trying to throw your weight around. Answer the questions.”

The Justicar sighed, dismissed his security, who took several steps back, beyond hearing range. Ecclensivar looked to one side, out to sea and then began, “I know nothing beyond what I’ve been told of The Oversaar’s death. I am genuinely sorry, I had admired him for many years, though I would not dare say to my superiors. As for how we found you. This is where I was told we would find you. In my briefing the Overlord himself said he had had Divine guidance on the matter. Again, that’s all I know.”

“Not big on asking questions are you boy?” asked the Colonel.

“I find it’s kept me alive so far.”

Areldur winced.

“I will make ready the Fleet. Please excuse me while I gather my men.” Said the Fleet Admiral, nodding a salute to the Thalmor Justicar.

“Very well, I shall be accompanying your ship on the voyage. I shall take my leave to make preparations.” With that, Ecclensivar left.

Areldur sighed, bowed his head, then looked up and out to sea. Nol turned and looked at Eremnor, who was looking straight back at him. The Commodore nodded his head, obviously thinking the same thing.

“Colonel,” Areldur said quietly, “I need you to gather your men, board that ship and kill them all. Can and will you do that?”

There was a pause. The Colonel sighed and nodded. “If we go back now, we’ll all be up Tcheet creek without a paddle?”

“Indeed.”

The Colonel saluted, turned precisely and walked quickly towards the fort.

Areldur watched him go and then turned to Eremnor. “Which do you think is the fastest ship?”

The Maxarishii Hunt.” The newest armoured-courier class vessel.

Areldur nodded, “That’s what I thought. Take it and the Dusk, follow the channels between the islands, get behind that other Thalmor and sink it. Well tow this one out to deep water and do the same.”

“We’re going to need to trust an awful lot of people after this Nol. I hope this is right.”

“Me too. Go.”

Eremnor nodded and left.

Nol Areldur looked back to Mount Farrada, then he turned and looked along the white sands of the beach out to the most beautiful blue coloured sea, and saw, in the distance, the gathering storm clouds, “Oh, irony.” He said quietly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Apr 3 2012, 01:03 PM
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 22 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #219

Ancient
Group Icon

Firstly - Miitr Farrada: You brought this character visually to life in that scene, Awesome Write !!!

Next scene, and the total difference in styles of command are seen - having them in the same chapter makes the contrast even more blatent between leader to almost dictatorship. I did expect Farrada to be dead, but was surprised by his end coming the way it did...irony at its finest, McB.

Awesome Write in both sections, this has to be one of your greatest chapters yet !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Mar 22 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #220

Knower
Group Icon

Urf! Middle of commenting my computer shut down so I'll start over....

I really like this chapter, the interaction between the 4 was quite special.
“Well, as long as she cooks me breakfast in the morning.”

ROFL!!!!!

Sniff, sad about Farrada but seems to me there might have been something overlooked on that one. Um, seems a bit fishy if you ask me.

I do have one question though, how long did you plan for that line? You know the one I'm talking about, Tcheet. Only one nit: creak as in Tcheet creak should be creek...LMAO!!!!!!!!!! that one caused me to spew a sip of tea thankfully not onto my computer screen, but on my youngest son as he walked past, glad he thought it was funny after the shock of being shot with tea wore off.

I did love this one, the way Nol took the mantle was very well done.

Keep it up, can't wait for more, you are a furry badger for another day, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 PM