Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
mALX
post Jan 2 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #1121

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 2 2021, 12:26 PM) *

I'm currently working on the theory that it's a bad piece of disk. PTS runs OK, and that's essentially a copy of the same thing, running against a different server.

It does sound like a hardware issue; so that would make sense. Wow, the PTS is running? We can all join you there if you need running mates, of course = but yeah; has to be an awful thing to wake up to!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 2 2021, 07:27 PM
Post #1122

Councilor
Group Icon

This just keeps getting better. I've successfully re-installed the launcher, s now it doesn't know I have PTS, and won't launch that. The re-install of ESO itself keeps locking up.

One step forward = two steps back.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 2 2021, 07:33 PM
Post #1123

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 2 2021, 01:27 PM) *

This just keeps getting better. I've successfully re-installed the launcher, s now it doesn't know I have PTS, and won't launch that. The re-install of ESO itself keeps locking up.

One step forward = two steps back.

Urgh!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 4 2021, 12:53 AM
Post #1124

Councilor
Group Icon

ESO is finally re-installed. Still get the random lock-ups, bu I'm managing a bit of play in between.

Re-install was seizing up at 7% regularly until I minimized the launcher and didn't look until it was way past that point. PTS was just a case of the default "hide' when the launcher was re-intalled.

So Friday's meet is back in the "possible" column, but I expect to drop out often. I still have no idea what component is failing, and when it will give up completely. But this system is over ten years old, so it's due for replacement anyway.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 4 2021, 01:04 AM
Post #1125

Paladin
Group Icon

I saw that you were in game on the guild roster and smiled. Sorry things are still acting up for you though. kvright.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 6 2021, 04:10 PM
Post #1126

Councilor
Group Icon

The lock-ups appear to be the symptoms of a dying video card. I have a pair of GTX680's in SLI, so it could be either or both. I may try to run with just one, assuming I can tie the failure down to the other. The good news is that I can use my games machine for anything except games, without problems. So on Friday, I may be there ion Discord only, as an in-game appearance will lock me up.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 6 2021, 06:08 PM
Post #1127

Paladin
Group Icon

That is some progress, ghastley, that certainly helps with troubleshooting. I sure hope you're able to pin it down so you can fix it. Perhaps a new graphics card but, hey, could be worse I suppose.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 9 2021, 05:13 PM
Post #1128

Councilor
Group Icon

Ongoing plot-thickening situation at this moment in time: Opening up the case and pulling one card leaves me with the same failure. Swapping the single card with the pther one gives me the same failure. So either both cards have the same issue, or it's not the video cards.

However, I do have a video problem, as I get the "black rock" symptom shown here So it might be the card slot, not the card?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 9 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #1129

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 9 2021, 10:13 AM) *

Ongoing plot-thickening situation at this moment in time: Opening up the case and pulling one card leaves me with the same failure. Swapping the single card with the other one gives me the same failure. So either both cards have the same issue, or it's not the video cards.

However, I do have a video problem, as I get the "black rock" symptom shown here So it might be the card slot, not the card?

At first glance I scratched my head over why you would complain about such a nice image. Then I spotted the rock. The Black Rock. When I've had things like that it's always been faulty in-game objects, or a graphics driver issue. I suppose hardware can't be ruled out, especially if black objects in question are known to be issue-free, and you've not done any recent graphics driver updates.

Overheating? Have you blown out any accumulated dusk on the GPU's fans and innards? Old as those 680s are, they might need a good 'airing'. The CPU and PSU too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 9 2021, 07:59 PM
Post #1130

Councilor
Group Icon

This machine runs Win 7, so nothing has been updated on the software side for some time. Much dust was indeed shoveled out, and melted down to make new bunnies, and I've checked the GPU fan motor is not burned out. Some setting changes have eliminated the black rock, but the random hang-ups remain.

It's about time for a replacement, but I wish I had a fall-back machine to use. I'll have to see what I can cobble together around the other GTX card.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 11 2021, 02:24 AM
Post #1131

Master
Group Icon

Gah! Had an unexpected adventure this afternoon. Didn't get home until suppertime. Maybe 30min ago I launched YouTube and played a video. (duh!) At its end, and much to my surprise, a second video began to play. What the...? Did auto somehow turn itself OFF again, as happens occasionally? Who knows? The OFF-ON switch had vanished! I checked settings and found no reference to a toggle. I eventually searched online I discovered that yes, this is a newly implemented change. No more autoplay toggle at upper-right There is, however, now a toggle embedded within the video window. I found it easily enough and again disabled autoplay. Huzzah!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 18 2021, 06:17 PM
Post #1132

Master
Group Icon

Awhile back I began getting screen-tearing in TS2021. It bugged me to no end, as you might imagine. Some days later, to make it easy to close the game when frozen (the game, not me), I changed from Full Screen mode to a borderless full-screen window. To my happy surprise, tearing disappeared! I would have thought full-screen mode better than windowed mod for running games. Guess not?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 27 2021, 09:45 PM
Post #1133

Councilor
Group Icon

I probably should not say this too loudly, but after a re-re-flash of the BIOS, my freezes appear to have stopped. I think the first attempt regressed to an older version than I had been running. I put the second video card back in and re-established surround and that works, too.

And the inside of the case is a lot cleaner! biggrin.gif

The downside is that I don't get an upgrade yet.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jan 27 2021, 09:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 27 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #1134

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jan 27 2021, 03:45 PM) *

I probably should not say this too loudly, but after a re-re-flash of the BIOS, my freezes appear to have stopped. I think the first attempt regressed to an older version than I had been running. I put the second video card back in and re-established surround and that works, too.

And the inside of the case is a lot cleaner! biggrin.gif

The downside is that I don't get an upgrade yet.

*mALX silently raises the "V" (victory sign) and then hurriedly lowers it; then creeps out quickly before luck changes ... *

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 27 2021, 10:17 PM
Post #1135

Paladin
Group Icon

Great news, ghastley! Now you can upgrade on your schedule instead of your puter's schedule. wink.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 3 2021, 08:36 PM
Post #1136

Master
Group Icon

I've a dilemma of sorts. I need more computer storage. More free-to-use computer storage, to be exact. Thanks to YouTube video creation. My various partitions are filling with raw footage and rendered final output. I've now limited free space anywhere, with more videos to come.

External hard-drives are relatively cheap. I saw a Western Digital 6TB external for around $130 the other day. But. I don't know that I trust external traditional drives, fragile as they can be when moved, which an external drive will be subject to. SSDs are a far safer bet, but there we're looking at $100 for 1TB, minimum, on a good day. What to do? <sighs>

And now, today, I all of a sudden can't find where I keep my DFU footage, either raw or finished product. Finished product isn't where it ought to be. That sub-folder is empty. Can't find hind nor hair of my DFU raw footage. Yet it exists. It has too. It's being used by my Video Editor to render a new YouTube episode as I type this. Where the heck is it?

This wasn't an issue when I could store all footage on one partition. I knew where everything was, and had to be, back then. Poor, pitiful Decrepit. So understood.

ADDENDUM:
Woot, found my DFU video folders!!!!! smile.gif I caused my own problem. I labeled that folder Daggerfall Unity, rather than Daggerfall Unity Videos. All other video-related folders on that partition are properly labeled "such and such Video". Too, that partition also holds Daggerfall Unity and DOS Daggerfall game backups. Due to my mislabeling, I assumed what was in reality a DFU Videos folder was instead a game backup folder.

Which doesn't answer my need for more storage space.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Feb 3 2021, 11:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 13 2021, 06:44 PM
Post #1137

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yesterday I updated my second backup Win7 and today I updated my primary backup with images and savegames. I also updated all three flashdrives, one that was since October 11th last year and one that was from December 7th 2019! tongue.gif

I also defragmented the C: drive on my primary.

Edit: Can someone say why this happened for me on youtube? Look up right, the top part is cut off blink.gif
And yes, it's scrolled up all the way, I don't know why this suddenly happened.

This post has been edited by mirocu: Feb 13 2021, 07:16 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 13 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #1138

Master
Group Icon

Hmmm.... that's odd for sure. When did it begin, and what might you have changed at that time? Do they cut off like that when viewed full-screen? Firefox? My Firefox is displaying videos fine, as always. Have you tried opening them in an alternate browser?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 13 2021, 08:36 PM
Post #1139

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Feb 13 2021, 08:33 PM) *

Hmmm.... that's odd for sure. When did it begin, and what might you have changed at that time? Do they cut off like that when viewed full-screen? Firefox? My Firefox is displaying videos fine, as always. Have you tried opening them in an alternate browser?

Actually, it works fine now.

It just randomly happened as I was watching a video, I saw it jump up and cut off the top portion. It might have to do with a Firefox update not taking effect properly. I closed the browser and restarted, it installed updates and from then it has worked.

No idea indifferent.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 18 2021, 08:00 PM
Post #1140

Master
Group Icon

I done it! Just ordered a 5TB WD Black external USB 3.0 hard drive. I regret not going SSD, for added reliability and longevity rather than speed, but storage size won out by a nose. It's tentatively scheduled to arrive Feb 25. I'm almost dead in the water as for as capturing video footage goes. I've enough room for intro and outro clips for an upcoming Scenic Excursions episode, so long as I don't make 'em overly long. That's it. To be fair, I've free space on several partitions, but those are dedicated to other purposes.

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 55 56 57 58 59 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:12 PM