Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 20 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #22

Lurker
Group Icon

Update

A small preview on Oblivion can now be found on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/05/...ames/index.html

Once again, the preview is rather positive.

[quote]Role-playing game aficionados undoubtedly will go gaga over Bethesda Softworks' "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion," an epic played from a first- or third-person perspective.[/quote]

A little note though...

[quote]and randomly generated scenes such as a forest that will look different every time the level is loaded.[/quote]

Now, for some reason I doubt this. My bet is that they were simply mistaken and what they really meant (or should have written) is that the terrain is randomly generated in the construction set when creating the landscape. Not that the environment changes upon every cell-loading.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 20 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #23

Unregistered

interesting... New forests everytime you load. I wonder where you got this Rane??? biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 20 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #24

Lurker
Group Icon

[quote=jonajosa]interesting... New forests everytime you load. I wonder where you got this Rane??? biggrin.gif[/quote]

That has got to be wrong. A human mistake or misunderstanding when writing that interview.

I seriously doubt that we will have randomly generating forest.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 20 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #25

Unregistered

It could happen though with the Speed tree software their using. Plus they have got their world almost all randomly generated... so i don't see why the trees can't change their looks.
+Quote Post
Epy
post May 20 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #26

Quotinator
Group Icon

Aye, that's either ridiculous or a very, very complex stunt Bethsoft is pulling off. :eek:

No, really. It's indeed been more than less confirmed; the CS features all-new extremely powerful tools with hundreds of variables for terrain and population (and more). Everything from soil type and erosion to tree species and vegeation have settings to tweak for maximum customization, variance and detail. In addition, there's the populating generation which also has a lot of settings - I believe I've heard that you can set some basic, generic RAI packages for characters there - and populates the selected area (you simply select areas in which you tell the CS to generate stuff) with characters and, IIRC, monsters and such (if you want). Then tweak to your heart's content, and until you're done and satisfied.

Now, all this done randomly in a seamless method in-game - fitting with maps - could actually work since you could select which areas to generate with specific settings. So where there should be mountains, you could tell it generate mountains with parameters based on your wishes for how it should appear and which clutter to put around and on it. But kinda m00t IMO. And it gets kind of worse with characters, eh? Unscripted and all that stuff, sure, but completely random characters with completely random purposes dictated through random and/or generic RAI packages all over the place would be bleh-bleh. Doesn't have to be like that, sure.
One thing that could/can be interesting is if there was/is if there's a generator for making "clusters" or "groups" of, say, bandits with set RAI packages templated randomly through some pre-defined "bandit behavior" stuff or something similar. Make a forest, put a cave there and throw in some bandits. I do actually hope that there are some "template" package set-ups for somewhat generic clutter-characters.
All doubtful, though, since it's stated that it's about 1000+- polished, unique characters.

SpeedTree renders trees from template models, I think, yes, but since it's integrated into their creation process, which isn't all random when done, I doubt you can go all 'round with everything. Random trees, sure, maybe. Perhaps it is so - that a few trees change at cell load, chosen from a similar but still pre-defined and set template. But I don't know... What I do know that it'll be good. Trees good. Randomness in CS good. Generated but tweaked and cluttered much by hand, and populated with unique characters - goooood. Too bad we won't get the full version of SpeedTree shipped with the CS. :paperbag:

I'm sooo excited about these recent news and clips. Great stuff coming from every direction; this really is a good May. smile.gif

And good work, Rane! :goodjob:
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 20 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #27

Unregistered

someones done their research...

But hanks for the info about all that stuff.

I can't wait either. I hope theres some more stuff bethesda will release this week.
+Quote Post
Channler
post May 20 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Oh and about my heir questions, I think in article that alexander and stargleman wrote they said in the video that the emperor was talking about how his sons had died.. and so forth..

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Epy
post May 21 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #29

Quotinator
Group Icon

Ok, people.
Hereby, a new update on waiting4oblivion.com is revealed.
Specifically, we're blessed with a new E3-tourists' diary entry (3rd day) with mentions of another interview and hints of what we'll be getting when they get back.

Additionally, a heads-up link to Alexander's recent update post for some clarifications and droolers. In short, hints spoiled. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Azura's Star
post May 21 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #30

Retainer

Was the little speech Gavin Carter gave confirming housing part of W4O's efforts, or do you have another GC interview in the works?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 21 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #31

Lurker
Group Icon

[quote=Azura's Star]Was the little speech Gavin Carter gave confirming housing part of W4O's efforts, or do you have another GC interview in the works?[/quote]

The interviews Alexander and Stargelman haven't been uploaded here yet. So in other words, it should be a totally new interview we get to see when they return.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 21 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #32

Unregistered

Gamespy has released its version of what they thought about the Oblivion demo.

Go here to check it out. http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls...n/618065p1.html

If you wqant the Gamespot editors opinions look here. http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls...n/618099p1.html

Also if you want to look at a bunch of images from the movie you can go to this thread in the ES forums. http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=100705

Another Video not sure if its here yet but... They say its new at ES. http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/702/702....html?fromint=1

Hope you like it.
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 21 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #33

Lurker
Group Icon

[quote=jonajosa]
Another Video not sure if its here yet but... They say its new at ES. http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/702/702....html?fromint=1
[/quote]

I guess IGN likes to keep things confusing. The video there (raw clips) seems to be the same as on this link:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/702/702491/v....html?fromint=1

It's basically the same page, only with differenct colors and a somewhat different layout.

Anyway, thanks for the new links. I'll be updating the first post with them.

Edit: And the quote was not by MattRyan. Edited to avoid future confusion.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 21 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #34

Unregistered

Ok. I see now. Im pretty sure it said MattRyan though. Got to pay more attention to what im reading.

Ok got a few more previews of the Demo at E3.

Heres Xbox Advanced view.
http://www.happypuppy.com/viewFrame.php?ed...torial_id=37428

Heres VGPubs view.
http://www.happypuppy.com/viewFrame.php?ed...torial_id=37429

Theres an interview with a DEv at Happypuppy but the link to it is down. So i can't get to it... yet.
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 21 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #35

Lurker
Group Icon

Ok, one rather enlightening report here.

http://rpg.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art...iew.php?id=8288

Some major quotes to be mentioned:

[quote]Oblivion takes place in Cyrodiil, the main province of Tamriel, and the area spans about 25 square kilometres, of which about half is forest.[/quote]

This makes me believe that the game area will be 16 square miles after all.

Note that 25 km˛ is not 16 square miles though.

However, 1 mile = 1.61 km.

And 16 x 1.61 = 25.76

In other words, I think they simply did a miscalculation when they converted the number from square miles to km˛

The calculation should probably have been:

16 x 1.61˛ which is about 41 km˛

Also, the article confirmed that the bookseller incident involving the dog being burned was not scripted.
[quote]She decided to drink a potion to increase her accuracy, while her dog (also armed with Radiant AI) started to act up, because it was hungry. She fed it, and hoped for some peace and quiet to read a book in (The game has more than 400 of these). But the second the sat down, the dog was at it again, and she cast some sort of calming spell on it, saying “Mommy is reading!” (all the dialogue is spoken). As last, she went to her bed to get some sleep, but the dog was back, more excited than ever, and she wound up casting a fire spell, incinerating the poor dog…

After the demonstration, I asked whether this example was scripted or not, but it wasn’t.[/quote]
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 21 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #36

Unregistered

Im glad is wasn't scripted. It show that if you are willing to just stand there and watch what the NCPs do then you'll be rewarded with some supprises. I can't wait to watch the Radiant AI in action.
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 21 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #37

Lurker
Group Icon

Yeah, I'm waiting to see the RAI in action as well.

Still, I can't help wondering if they really hadn't change that bookseller some way.

Something like giving her a really high insane ratio perhaps?
+Quote Post
Channler
post May 21 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Yea, if it were so smart wouldn't it just let the dog out?

NPC's can traverse outside from the inside right?

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 21 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #39

Lurker
Group Icon

[quote=Channler]
NPC's can traverse outside from the inside right?[/quote]

Aye, they can. NPCs can go pretty much anywhere.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 22 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #40

Unregistered

There are more major skill in the games now i think. Maybe personality has somthing to do with the way the bookseller acted. Short tempered woman.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:36 PM