Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Professional Development Studio Hiring..., Oblivion Project, we want serious devs!
Brood
post Oct 3 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Evoker

The Aldaril Project, this is an ambitious project that starts as a Total Conversion for Oblivion and ends as a retail product. The Aldaril project is something I have been working on for over a year now, ever since the Tales of Mora project for Morrowind ended. It is a project that will start with us making a name for ourselves in the community, attracting the attention of larger organisations. The people we are looking for should be interested in the industry and willing to use this Total Conversion as a step towards bigger things. Now let me describe what I have been doing in preparation for these new development studios.

I am doing a bachelor in interactive entertainment, majoring in Animation. I have been building websites, earning money, studying legal issues so that when the time comes for the studio's launch next year we will be a step above the rest. The website is complete, the money in the bank and legal issues so that we are never tricked or manipulated by larger organisations. The website will launch once we have a team organised. I hope to eventually see Spectre Studios go retail, this is a goal I have set and aim to accomplish.

Now lets move on to what the project is...

The Aldaril Project
A dream of mine, set in a world on the verge of an industrial revolution, this allows us to introduce abstract design features and primitive machinery. Aldaril is the name of the continent which this project is set within. The landscape (my forte) is planned to be larger than anything ever created, although this sounds overly ambitious, it is reachable. Wastelands, Grasslands, Forest, Tropical Coastline, Winter Forests, Gothic Forests all feature.

I have a folder, 120 pages, filled with lore, character summaries, chapter descriptions etc. The world I have created is still undergoing changes, I think people will enjoy the physical (as apposed to overly magical) world we have created. Religious ideas and alternate approaches on real world ideas will ensure that players feel somewhat connected to the world. For example, "The Temple" has complete control over everything, but there are numerous cults and sects that will attempt to overthrow The Temple throughout the story.

The world the player interacts with is expansive, much larger than anything seen in most modern games. This is a lot of work that will hopefully be made easier with the new terrain generation tools, this allows to create kilometres of terrain in the same amount of time it would take to build a small forest in Morrowind. There will be no noticeable lapses in detail either. Focus areas will no doubt contain more detail than other areas. Focus points are areas where the player will most likely visit, this includes roads, mountains, villages, towns, cities etc. We are not just creating a single province, we are attempting to create an entire continent and the surrounding islands. There are 10 provinces in total.

I bet you are now expecting art, maps etc. But all I could give you is writing, information on the five races, locale descriptions and scribbled art from my notepad. I have completed town names and descriptions, character summaries, detailed report on a projectile (alternate flintlock) system I have devised, Faction details and descriptions of important landmarks. I don't have time to post all this up unless enough interest is shown. Now here comes the important part, hiring people.

I am looking for people at/over the age of 17 interested in the industry, this project could be a good step towards your goals if it is done correctly. I will be doing landscapes, story, lore, texturing, web design and animation. Generally you will need basic English skills, the ability to work in a team, communicate and meet deadlines. I am looking for those of you with brilliant creative minds. We need people to fill the following positions:

2 Concept Artists
- Skilled sketch artists.
- Able to follow written guidelines.
- Experience with photoshop or equivalent.

2 2D Artists
- Able to follow written or sketched guidelines
- Able to create high quality textures.

4 3D Artists
- Able to follow written or sketched guidelines
- Skilled with 3DS MAX or MAYA.
- Able to model and animate to a fairly high standard.

2 Interior Artists (1 dungeons, caves etc... 1 towns, villages etc...)
- Able to follow written or sketched guidelines.
- Able to create interiors to a very high standard.
- Able to devise logical layouts.
- Able to debug their interiors.

2 Programmers
- Able to follow written guidelines.
- Able to Program to a high standard.
- Able to assess the abilities of the SDK and game engine.
- Able to push the game's capabilities to the edge.
- Able to work together to devise new features.

1 PR Staff/Compiler
- Able to combine all game material into plugin files.
- Able to debug complied plugin files.
- Able to deal with the public.
- Able to manage website and forums.
- Able to handle and withhold sensitive information.

If you believe you can fill any of the above positions, please pm me your details including your Age, sex, primary language and location along with an example of your work. Examples can come in the form of screenshots or other media, links to previous work or a reachable reference.

If enough interest is shown I will post story, world and lore information pertaining to the project.

EDIT: Please feel free to ask for more information and I will provide it when I next visit these boards.

Cheers
Brood

This post has been edited by Brood: Oct 3 2005, 11:21 AM

--------------------
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Oct 3 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

This sounds like quite the undertaking. I admire your ambition and I hope it turns out well.
+Quote Post
Channler
post Oct 4 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Brood @ Oct 3 2005, 05:22 AM)
The Aldaril Project, this is an ambitious project that starts as a Total Conversion for Oblivion and ends as a retail product. The Aldaril project is something I have been working on for over a year now, ever since the Tales of Mora project for Morrowind ended. It is a project that will start with us making a name for ourselves in the community, attracting the attention of larger organisations. The people we are looking for should be interested in the industry and willing to use this Total Conversion as a step towards bigger things. Now let me describe what I have been doing in preparation for these new development studios.

I am doing a bachelor in interactive entertainment, majoring in Animation. I have been building websites, earning money, studying legal issues so that when the time comes for the studio's launch next year we will be a step above the rest. The website is complete, the money in the bank and legal issues so that we are never tricked or manipulated by larger organisations. The website will launch once we have a team organised. I hope to eventually see Spectre Studios go retail, this is a goal I have set and aim to accomplish.

Err.. While I do believe your interest is there I also do believe that perhaps you might need to check your spelling before you post such a proposition... biggrin.gif

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like an boat.

However I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Oct 4 2005, 04:10 AM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

bah, one word misspelled. Think of the majority of North Carolinians who would misspell most of the words in that proposition.

anyway, I'm confused as to how it could become a retail product; is making it a total conversion merely like a testing?

This post has been edited by Dantrag: Oct 4 2005, 04:10 AM

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Brood
post Oct 4 2005, 06:47 AM
Post #5

Evoker

I was posting this at 11pm so please give me some slack.

To answer the retail question.

In 2007 there will be another 'Make Something Unreal Contest.' 1 Million US Dollars and the latest unreal engine are given to the development studios that create the greatest modification. This is only one of the many ways you could 'go to the shelves.' There are many competitions very similar to this, we may not go retail, but I hope that a project as ambitious as the one I have devised will attract attention from larger companies. In doing this, many of the developers on the team may have an opportunity to break into the industry. When you are looking for a job, being able to present a well known modification project really does help.

I am very serious about this project, more so than I have been with any previous projects. Tales of Mora I was fairly engrossed in, providing the community with some fantastic landscapes. Unfortunately it did not get released due to a handful of developers (people who lied about age and experience). I did landscapes for that modification, around 500+ completed exterior cells, also pioneering new ideas and exploiting the engine to get the most out of it. I released over 50+ screens from towns, forests, deserts, mountains, lakes. Here is a sample of what I was able to achieve on the Morrowind game engine.

Screen 1
Screen 2
Screen 3
Forest 1
Forest 2
Forest 3
Community Award Winning Screen
Flooded Cave

I always encourage pushing an engine to its very limits, I intend to follow this trend with the new Oblivion game engine. This next project will contain a lot more new content than what was present in "Tales of Mora." I have matured much since that project and have realised that to create something truly spectacular you must build the Total Conversion from the ground up. Otherwise, it really isn't a Total Conversion...

Features for "Project Aldaril" (Sample 4th October)
These are features that have been deemed possible for the new engine...
- Ships, Airships etc. we hope to eliminate fast travel and have the player wait at docks, stations or hail transport rather than just appear at any city or town. Then live out the journey as the transport moves, rather than just reappear at your destination.
- Stealth Features, there is already a great system in place in Oblivion, but we hope to expand on this. Scaling walls and stealth kills (one hit kills) have already been planned and tested on the Morrowind game engine.
- Business, open shop or run your own plantation in the later stages of the story.
- Smuggling, take to the seas, enlist a crew and roam the shipping lanes.
- Participate in the Wasteland's shady underground, assassinate clan leaders, take part in large scale battles, smuggle goods in from the coast, run your own junkyard (hinting at the mechanical aspects of the world).

The 80+ feature list is undecided, it will depend on what comes standard in the Oblivion game.

Cheers
Brood

This post has been edited by Brood: Oct 4 2005, 07:22 AM

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Oct 4 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

And just when I thought this project couldn't sound any more amazing. Looking at your screens from Tales of Mora really gives me the confidence this is going to work. If I were actually good enough I would certainly join up, but I'm not.... so I won't....
+Quote Post
Rapishorrid
post Oct 5 2005, 01:05 AM
Post #7

Associate

Sweet.
If you get the right people to work with this mod will take off and, though it may take a couple years to complete, will probably be a huge success. I for one will follow its development. You seem to be an exceptionally experienced or intelligent leader (you really know your stuff in mod development) and judging by your earlier work accomplishing this huge continent shan't be too difficult for you! smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Channler
post Oct 5 2005, 03:06 AM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Again sorry for sounding like an boat

But those shots were amazing. Those forests were jaw dropping to say the least. You've much talent in the mind of yours.

I'll be on the look out for the people you need to help you. I wish I could but I'm still 16.

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Oct 5 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

A boat?
+Quote Post
Rapishorrid
post Oct 6 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #10

Associate

lol I was wondering about that myself...

Brood, have you found anyone to recruit yet? If you are posting around on lots of different forums then make sure you post on mwsource (i remember you from there I think)...lots of smart people there.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Brood
post Oct 6 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #11

Evoker

Looking at the reaction I get here first, then I will ask at other places including MWsource.

This post has been edited by Brood: Oct 6 2005, 12:13 PM

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Rapishorrid
post Oct 8 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #12

Associate

Wow don't post on the TES official forums!!!
I posted about Project: Middle Earth and within 5 minutes the thread was locked because it turned into a flame war about copyright issues. holy crap. lol.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Ambberfox
post Oct 8 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

This certainly looks promising, I wish you the best of luck with the project!

--------------------
"One day before Oblivion is released, you'd better buy the best hardware components available for money..." - Todd Howard
+Quote Post
Brood
post Oct 9 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #14

Evoker

Ok, I will piece together a possible feature list, as well as a story brief. After I have posted those in here, I will begin searching other TES communities.

Cheers
Brood

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post Oct 9 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

Channler, you can spell organization ad organisation as long as you libe in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, or Canada. Organize, however, is also organize, I think.

Yeah it's in the british version of harry potter.

Anyway, I'd like to be a part of the project but I have no modding skills (well a few, I made a maze and a fort, basic stuff)

I'm hoping to raise my skills, further more I'm apt at compiling lore and stuff like that.

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
+Quote Post
Kris
post Oct 10 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #16

Retainer

Yeah, I'm sad to say this, but the only thing I can help with is probably Story Developement [I don't think I spelt that right.] But I can be quite creative, but it's not what you're looking for so yeah..

--------------------
AΠO ΠANTOΣ KAKOΔAIMONOΣ
+Quote Post
The Wolf
post Oct 25 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #17

Agent

Would it be based on Morrowind's graphics or Oblivion's?

Sadly, I don't fit to any of those terms.

Anyway, best of luck for you.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Brood
post Oct 25 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #18

Evoker

I find you annoying.

Hey guys, should have some story up by the end of the week, a lot going on in my real life at the moment.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Oct 26 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

I see. Well I hope these "real life" (whatever that is) issues pan out. I'd love to see this mod come out as fast as it can after the game releases.
+Quote Post
Brood
post Oct 27 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #20

Evoker

I'm pursuing numerous careers, juggling them is quite difficult. In addition, my co-writer and I have decided to mix things up and lean a little more towards horror. We just have to re-write a bit of lore and I am going through the story and chaning many things as well.

P.S. sorry bout grammer or spelling I've been in front of this damn thing all day!

Cheers
Brood

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:13 PM