> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
mALX
post Nov 17 2018, 06:01 PM
Post #3601

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Nov 17 2018, 10:16 AM) *

Watched the Venom movie.

7/10 and that’s because I’m feeling generous. Like the titular symbiote, I find the character development and awareness (more on this later), humor and overall pace to be hungry and trying to get its paws over everything it once.

Tom Hardy is Tom Hardy, and honestly I can’t see him as anything else; with that kind of body language and basically his history of playing badasses, it was REALLY hard to see him as some sort of Peter Parker-esque everyday next-door-loser. His innate intensity is just too ... intense.

The weakest link was the female sidepiece, his Mary Jane presence, the character of Annie Weying. Her reactions to something really nasty as the Venom symbiote is really baffling. Like, I find myself saying, “what in the hell is she doing?” in amazement a couple of times.

The plot was ... well, it’s not bad? I guess? Not entirely memorable, but it functions well I suppose.

Its crown piece would definitely have to be the action scenes tho, which is what you would expect from a movie about fricken’ Venom kekeke

Honestly I could ramble on, but I’m feeling tired and kinda robbed. So like every adult in this fine earth, I gotta sleep it off.

BWAAHAA! I think my son went and saw this, I saw a movie popcorn bucket in his car, lol. I'll have to hear if his review matches yours; laugh.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 21 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #3602

Master
Group Icon

I'm watching the new She-Ra Netflix series so far Episode 1 has grabbed my attention but there's 12 more episodes left and I've heard there's "issues"in the latter episodes, it probably nothing but people trying to make something out of nothing but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Nov 21 2018, 05:21 PM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 24 2018, 05:04 AM
Post #3603

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Nov 21 2018, 10:21 AM) *

I'm watching the new She-Ra Netflix series so far Episode 1 has grabbed my attention but there's 12 more episodes left and I've heard there's "issues"in the latter episodes, it probably nothing but people trying to make something out of nothing but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Shut up in denial past me! OH MY F*ING DIVINES THIS SHOW WAS A MAJOR LET DOWN T_T !!! I couldn't do it! I couldn't stomach it anymore and you know what's sad....the naysayers were right! She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is nothing more then Tumbler garbage written by people who didn't care and created by people who also didn't care but tried to hide it behind a Pro LGBTQ Flag. It's so sad that an icon from the past getting such an unwanted black eye, I'm so disappointed at Dreamworks for this. Hell the 200X He-Man reboot kicks this show's butt up one way and down the other...At least I enjoyed Adora and Catra's redesign artwork.
2/5 Bad!

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Nov 24 2018, 04:24 PM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 1 2018, 04:20 AM
Post #3604

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching The Meg. I went into it with low expectations, so I was not disappointed. It did have a nice homage to Jaws, in the form of a dog named Pippin swimming in the ocean. At first I thought it was a LOTR reference, but then I remembered that before the attack on the beach, there was a guy with a dog named Pippin, and later he could not find the dog. In this case however, Pippin makes it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 4 2018, 02:15 AM
Post #3605

Master
Group Icon

A link to Sherlock Holmes in the House of Fear (1945) was among this evening's YT recommendations. The title didn't ring a bell, though up until now I assumed I had seen all the Basil Rathbone. Nope. Tonight was my first viewing of it. Not a great movie, but the Rathbone Holmes films are always entertaining. Leastwise they are to an old fart like me who saw them on broadcast TV when a lad. Wonder if there are more I've missed?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 4 2018, 07:35 AM
Post #3606

Ancient
Group Icon

Gremlins is on AMC!!!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 25 2018, 05:19 PM
Post #3607

Ancient
Group Icon

Die Hard on 4k.

Yippee Ki Yay!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 25 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #3608

Ancient
Group Icon

Firefly on BluRay that Khajiit got for Christmas!!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 27 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #3609

Ancient
Group Icon

Watching this short docu on the Stug III. A great example of how you can take an obsolete piece of tech and make it not only viable, but outstanding. I always liked the look of the German Mk IIIs and IVs, and their Stug descendants.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 29 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #3610

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been watching a lot of the DC Super Hero Girls webisodes on You Tube. I am not thrilled with the 3 minute episode lengths. I guess I am just an old fogey. I would prefer a real episode of 22 minutes, or movie of 90 minutes. But they are still fun in any case. Lots of girly super fun, without the grim Zack Snyderness that so infects the live action DCEU movies (at least until the Wonder Woman and Aquaman films). I am liking Batgirl and Katana the most.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 2 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #3611

Ancient
Group Icon

I binge watched Titans over the weekend. It is a live action show of the Teen Titans. Though they are not all teens in this one. It was ok. But it kind of fell a little flat for me. The problem for me is the tone. They are going for the dark, grim, gritty, morally ambiguity again, like in Batman vs. Superman. It is nothing like any of the other Teen Titans shows I have ever seen (I never read any of the comics). Those I remember being fun superhero romps.

It feels off to me to break from the happy-go-lucky Teen Titans format. Especially since with Wonder Woman and now Aquaman I had thought DC had learned their lesson that the masses don't really want a lot of moody, brooding superhero fare. They want the upbeat popcorn fests with dazzling smackdowns and a few laughs that Marvel churns out. DC's tv shows seemed to have figured that out a long time ago, with The Flash, Supergirl, the League, etc... They have serious subjects, but don't get all mired down in grim moral ambiguity. Titans is a complete break from that (and it does not exist in the same continuum as the other DC shows).

I thought the casting was good. Raven was perfect. I did not need anyone telling me who she was. Likewise with Beast Boy. Robin/Nightwing/Dick Grayson is your average white boy. But I warmed up to him. Where I could look at the others and instantly know who they were, Starfire had me scratching my head. I had to look up the show in IMDB to figure out who she was. Twice. They did try to keep to the original character's motif of purple clothes and flame hair. But she came out looking more like a giant hooker than an alien. And she has none of the usual Star of the Fire's speaking of the English that I am the used to. But I have to admit that she fits in exactly with the tone of the show. She is definitely older, harder, edgier, crueler. So I am not complaining.

I also finished season 3 of Supergirl today. Wow, that was fantastic! The season was a little slow to get going, but once it did, it was fantastic. The plotting was outstanding. The characters were great, new and old. Everything is really clicking with that show. The blu-ray even came with all 4 of the annual Arrow-verse crossover episodes. So I actually saw an entire one of those massive crossovers for first time ever. It was good too. A solid alternate dimension Nazi story with SS Supergirl. (Every year they do a big crossover story, with one episode in each Arrow-verse show).

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jan 4 2019, 01:30 PM
Post #3612

Mouth
Group Icon

I've been getting all caught up on Star Wars Rebels. Still enjoying it, though not as much as the Clone Wars (I think it's just the time period that I don't like). Most of the characters continue to entertain and engage, and the story more or less continues at a good pace while not feeling out of place in the universe.

I do hope there's another series after this, as the last one ends on a note that suggests as much. Maybe we'll get to see more non-human characters in the next one or perhaps delve a little deeper into the lore. We shall see.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jan 4 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #3613

Master
Group Icon

The Orville is back on!

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 5 2019, 10:21 PM
Post #3614

Ancient
Group Icon

I am watching The HP Lovecraft Collection Vol. 2. - Dreams of Cthulhu. I finished the main feature - Rough Magick. It was good. I liked the Night Scholars (and that most of them are listed as dead). It is about a former army psychiatrist who had a Mythos encounter during the Falkland War. Most of it is him recounting that. Some of it is set in the present, with a Vinegar Joe secret agent interrogating him to learn more about how to fight a wave of 'Dreamers', people driven to murderous insanity by the Dreaming God (aka Cthulhu).

I still have to get into the shorts that accompany the main story. Experiment 17 and Experiment 18. Plus a few others. I have seen all of them before, but they are cool.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jan 6 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #3615

Mouth
Group Icon

Saw Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. Very unique and I didn't know what to expect. I don't read actual comics and just about all that I know about them comes from looking up stuff about them on the Internet or hearing from other people, so I didn't have any reference at all for what it was about (although apparently the movie is significantly different from the original comic).

Anyway, if anyone is thinking of going to see it, you definitely should. It was really good.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jan 7 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #3616

Master
Group Icon

Started watch Star Trek (original series) again. Got to Balance of Terror last night. Great episode.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 8 2019, 12:56 AM
Post #3617

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been watching a lot of Batman the Animated Series from the 90s. I just finished Robin's Reckoning. The bad guy was voiced by Biff from the Back to the Future movies, and the cabbie who gives Robin a ride was Sam Jackson. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jan 8 2019, 01:14 AM
Post #3618

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 7 2019, 05:56 PM) *

I have been watching a lot of Batman the Animated Series from the 90s. I just finished Robin's Reckoning. The bad guy was voiced by Biff from the Back to the Future movies, and the cabbie who gives Robin a ride was Sam Jackson. smile.gif

Love it. This reminds Khajiit that he needs to start watching those again.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jan 8 2019, 07:36 PM
Post #3619

Master
Group Icon

Watching the New Age channel...ah soothing biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 8 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #3620

Master
Group Icon

Last night I followed a YouTube recommendation link to a video of someone's "Top Five Oldest Films." The list has issues, such as attributing them all to Edison, which isn't the case. Of prime interest to me is the video's closing bonus footage, a circa 1906 film of a ride down a San Francisco street, possibly shot only a day or two before the quake. It's visually well restored and has been augmented with appropriate street-scene sound effects and a haunting musical accompaniment. I queued it to start at the ride rather than the video's beginning. An absolutely fascinating glimpse into a time our past.

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 179 180 181 182 183 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:34 PM