14 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas
SubRosa
post Jul 15 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #221

Ancient
Group Icon

Try disabling each one at a time and seeing if the CTDs continue. Stutter Remover is good, if you have the right settings. But if you have the settings wrong for your computer, I believe it can cause CTDs. That is one you have to experiment with until you get the settings right. It took me a lot of trial and error.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 15 2018, 04:45 PM
Post #222

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 15 2018, 10:20 AM) *

Try disabling each one at a time and seeing if the CTDs continue. Stutter Remover is good, if you have the right settings. But if you have the settings wrong for your computer, I believe it can cause CTDs. That is one you have to experiment with until you get the settings right. It took me a lot of trial and error.

Stutter remover has settings? Khajiit has never seen a menu for it.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 15 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #223

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 15 2018, 11:45 AM) *

There is no in game menu for it. You have to do all the setup for it in its .ini files. The Readme should have notes about the recommended settings and what they do. The Oblivion version was a lot more complicated, and took me hours of changing settings and trying them out in the game to see what worked for me. I am looking through my settings for Fallout 3, and it looks like all I changed from the default settings was to set MaximumFPS = 60

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 15 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #224

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 15 2018, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 15 2018, 11:45 AM) *

There is no in game menu for it. You have to do all the setup for it in its .ini files. The Readme should have notes about the recommended settings and what they do. The Oblivion version was a lot more complicated, and took me hours of changing settings and trying them out in the game to see what worked for me. I am looking through my settings for Fallout 3, and it looks like all I changed from the default settings was to set MaximumFPS = 60

Khajiit forgot about the readme! Using the the mod organizer to download these things makes it easy to forget about the readmes. This one will check it out later.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 15 2018, 10:35 PM
Post #225

Ancient
Group Icon

Something else you should try is this. I forgot about it until now.

Fallout 3 crashes when loading interiors

If you have a multi-core CPU, like the Quad, and you experience a Fallout 3 crash when loading interiors (the PC version of Fallout 3, specially in closed spaces). It seems that this crash is caused by a bug in Fallout which doesn't adapt multi-threading well, and this PC game stops responding in small areas.
Fallout 3 crash fix

The fix for this Fallout 3 bug is very easy: just copy and paste and you are ready to go:

* Open the folder My documents / My Games / Fallout3
* Edit the file FALLOUT.ini.
* Inside FALLOUT.ini look for a group called [general].
* Inside the general group, after all the configuration parameters, just copy and paste the following 2 lines:

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Now close and save the Fallout 3 configuration file.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 15 2018, 11:11 PM
Post #226

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 15 2018, 04:35 PM) *

Something else you should try is this. I forgot about it until now.

Fallout 3 crashes when loading interiors

If you have a multi-core CPU, like the Quad, and you experience a Fallout 3 crash when loading interiors (the PC version of Fallout 3, specially in closed spaces). It seems that this crash is caused by a bug in Fallout which doesn't adapt multi-threading well, and this PC game stops responding in small areas.
Fallout 3 crash fix

The fix for this Fallout 3 bug is very easy: just copy and paste and you are ready to go:

* Open the folder My documents / My Games / Fallout3
* Edit the file FALLOUT.ini.
* Inside FALLOUT.ini look for a group called [general].
* Inside the general group, after all the configuration parameters, just copy and paste the following 2 lines:

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Now close and save the Fallout 3 configuration file.

Thanks! Khajiit will go ahead and put this in just to “dot the i’s”.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Jul 15 2018, 11:15 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Kane
post Jul 16 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #227

Master
Group Icon

Let me know how it works out! I tried a little modding after I beat the game in vanilla, but never could get it right.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 16 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #228

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Jul 16 2018, 07:30 AM) *

Let me know how it works out! I tried a little modding after I beat the game in vanilla, but never could get it right.

Well, Khajiit re-downloaded everything he had except the stutter remover and Iron Sights and everything seems to be working fine. Got into several fights with no CTDs. This one feels he must note that he is using Nexus Mod Manager since he already uses it for F4.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Kane
post Jul 16 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #229

Master
Group Icon

That's typically all I use, but one of these days I may become a permanent Wrye Basher.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jul 20 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #230

Master
Group Icon

Stutter Remover was causing problems for me as well until I got the settings right, as SubRosa suggests. In my case it weren't CTDs but the game would often freeze for a few seconds, not necessarily while in combat. But no matter how I tweaked settings, the freezing never completely stopped, it only got less frequent so in the end I got used to playing without it, and didn't miss it.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 20 2018, 03:10 PM
Post #231

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Jul 20 2018, 04:42 AM) *

Stutter Remover was causing problems for me as well until I got the settings right, as SubRosa suggests. In my case it weren't CTDs but the game would often freeze for a few seconds, not necessarily while in combat. But no matter how I tweaked settings, the freezing never completely stopped, it only got less frequent so in the end I got used to playing without it, and didn't miss it.

Good to know. Khajiit may just do without it.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 25 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #232

Master
Group Icon

Yesterday I installed Fallout 3 for the first time on my new laptop- I expected some problems regarding the game and Windows 10 but there weren't any. The only issue I had was that the G.E.C.K. would crash instantly as I tried to edit an interior cell, but I read online that it should be run with Nvidia instead of the default integrated video card and this solved the problem.

Then I set up games of my eldest characters (creation-wise), namely the Hobo and Ally "Gator". With the Hobo there weren't any problems, but with Ally there was because when porting mods from my previous laptop to an external HDD and then to the new laptop, I obviously forgot to port my own custom mod which I used for editing some things in her game, most notable being her private quarters on the steamboat. With this custom mod lost, the quarters reverted to the default state so most of Ally's loot and containers were lost. Fortunately I had an old save from 2016 when I haven't yet created my mod so I had some of her loot stored in vanilla containers. I tried to re-create my mod as best as I could based on my memories of how it had been, and I also restored some of the lost loot. Some things were definitely lost in the process but I think I recovered most of the stuff.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 1 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #233

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 1 2018, 07:32 PM) *
Uncle Chuckles makes me think of John Wayne Gacy. Great use of that mask by the modder!

Those guys that Blondie is lighting up look like Regulators. But they can't be because it's New Vegas. I guess someone just used the duster on them.

That up close with Palo Pete looks like a classic John Woo move, where the hero and anti-hero are standing face to face with guns in each other's faces.

I remember Marko dying in the Good, Bad, and Ugly ending.

Each criminal you pursue in the mod is based on some character, whether real-life, from movies, from mythology etc. Most references are from American history so I don't recognize them all but you're right about Uncle Chuckles being inspired by Gacy, the mod author confirmed it on the forums, when the mod was released, he was giving out kudos for every correct reference. For instance, there's a bounty on a super mutant named Prometheus and he's a behemoth obsessed with collecting flamer fuel. biggrin.gif

Then there's Paul Potts, a reference to Pol Pot, and Freddie the child killer whose main weapon is a deathclaw hand, then there's the Burns clan led by Ma Burns (by Ma Baker)...These are just to name a few, there are tons of others, maybe you should play out the mod to see if you can get them all. wink.gif

Those are indeed Regulators that came this far in search of a gold stash. They weren't exactly the friendliest guys around but then again, neither was Blondie.

Marko is the "big bad boss" of the New Vegas Bounties trilogy mod, in case you'll ever try out the mod, I'll avoid writing more about him because the author pulled such a great twist in the 3rd installment regarding Marko that I was speechless. In fact I'd say that quests are more interesting than most vanilla ones. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lopov: Sep 2 2018, 01:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 2 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #234

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow. Rea-life references. That sounds like I'm going to have to check that out some day.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 3 2018, 10:05 AM
Post #235

Master
Group Icon

Since yesterday I've been using Realistic Wasteland Lighting for FNV, which makes the game look more vivid and crisp. I use its optional Brighter nights plugin else nights are too dark which I could cope with but only if enemies too would have troubles seeing in the night, not just my character.

Then I tried ILO - Interior Lighting Overhaul but found that it darkens interior areas way too much and not even fiddling with brightness and contrast setting of my computer didn't help much.

So instead I installed Natural ReShade, which also affects interiors but I had to increase its FilmicPass contrast setting to make the game brighter because nights would once again get too dark. Now I'll try and play with this setting, see how I like it.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Sep 3 2018, 11:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 3 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #236

Councilor
Group Icon

Okay. I've been using Darkened Interiors, because that was one of my main things I wanted to change.

Don't forget about Pipboy Lighting Pack though. It comes with several different .esps which make for greater lighting distances. We can even make it so that our Pipboy lights up an entire mile!!! ohmy.gif That would be too much for me though. I prefer the 30 meter version.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 3 2018, 05:06 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 3 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #237

Master
Group Icon

I use this mod for PipBoy in New Vegas.

Darkened interiors look really dark but ILO made some interiors like common rooms totally dark, so I uninstalled it.

I really like the new looks of New Vegas, nights are still quite dark and resemble visuals from Dead Money DLC but they're not too dark.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Sep 3 2018, 05:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 27 2019, 09:59 AM
Post #238

Master
Group Icon

My FO3 has lately become unstable, no new mods / fixes installed whatsoever, but the game would sometimes crash immediately after loading, sometimes it would be smooth for 5-10 minutes, but then it'd crash. I've never had serious problems with CTDs in FO3 before and despite using the 4GB patcher, which is said to solve such issues, the CTDs continued. Then I read about the pcb command and surprisingly, it seems to eliminate CTDs completely if I type it in the console on the start of every session. However, on some forums I read that it's not recommended to use it too often, can anyone that's more familiar with this command than me, tell me if this is true and that I should avoid it or is it safe to use?

EDIT: I also tried searching for the so called FOSE crashdump / crash log but can't find any, it's supposed to be in the FOMM folder. Any ideas?

EDIT 2: Oops, I used the wrong thread, can one of the mods / admins please move it to the appropriate one? Thanks.

EDIT 3 by Acadian: Moved to FO3 thread.

EDIT 4: Lopov thanks Acadian.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jun 27 2019, 08:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 27 2019, 09:50 PM
Post #239

Ancient
Group Icon

I think PCB is short for Purge Cell Buffer. I think using it was practically a necessity in heavily modded Morrowind games, back in the day, because the mods would use so much memory the game would crash.

It has been a long time since I have looked at it and exactly what it does, so I can't so much more.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 28 2019, 04:10 AM
Post #240

Ancient
Group Icon

Whew! Found it! I am interested in hearing the responses on your questions, Lopov!

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:14 PM