Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The secret of Thaldorn Manor
Renee
post Jun 3 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh no! Vesuvius actually met his former girlfriend's captor. ohmy.gif

Cripes, there's a countdown. indifferent.gif 9 days.... 8 days. It's like in Thinner, when the fat lawyer steadily loses weight with each new sub-chapter.

He's dealing with minotaurs very early. Sounds like Brasher's Oblivion Overhaul at work.

"May you rot in Oblivion, for what you'd done!" Vesuvius wanted to spit on their corpses, then spat on the floor instead.

That's so awesome. I'm surprised the Thaldorns gave up so easily! They downed those poisons with absolutely no hesitation. As if they knew, and expected their fate would come some day.

Vesuvius and his legionnaires were promoted to guard captains for their heroic deed, but the biggest reward for Vesuvius turned out to be Branwen.

Awww. wub.gif

It’s good that the bridge collapsed, he thought. Unless one’s a dedicated climber, the only way to get there now is to swim…or walk on water

This is the part of the movie when Renee would start yelling at the screen. "Go in the house! Look at the house!!"

All the pics are great.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jun 3 2020, 08:17 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 3 2020, 11:17 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

Wait, I know that scowl! It's Rieltar! ohmy.gif

Wow, so Ves was there when Rieltar's parents died. This is a tightly wound tale you are weaving.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 7 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

@Acadian - thanks! I'm glad that there was no doubt that the stranger in Cheydinhal was indeed Rieltar.

@Renee - even if Ves'd try to enter the house, he'd find it locked. indifferent.gif Only Rieltar has the key.

@SubRosa - with Ves being a witness of the apparent suicide, more or less all 'connections' between characters have been explained, I'd say.

Five chapters down, five more to go.

---

VI

***6 days before Branwen’s capture***

"Come to me, Julianos, for without you, my wit is weak to sort the wheat from the chaff, and my eyes should neither know the true from the false, nor sense from folly, nor justice from prejudice and interest."

Having chanted these words, sister Marie Palielle lit a small purple candle and placed it at the foot of the altar of Julianos in the Great Chapel of Skingrad, devoted to this very deity. She went on her knees, her hands clasped together and looked up to the mosaic glass portrait of her Patron.

“I will know the truth. I will observe the law. When I’ll be in doubt, I’ll seek wisdom from the wise.”

“Does Julianos permit you to greet an old friend?” the voice behind her said.

Marie Palielle hastily turned around. The blonde Imperial with the unusual haircut was sitting on the pew. She recognized him immediately.

“Vesuvius! Ermm…sir Lex, I mean! What an honor! I…am speechless.” She almost hugged him but restrained herself, she was a nun after all. Besides, her superior Valandrus Abor, the Primate of Julianos, was disapprovingly as always observing her from the other end of the Chapel. So instead of hugging, she humbly bowed.

“The honor is all mine, Marie,” Vesuvius bowed in return.

“Please be more quiet, for the sssake of Julianos,” hissed Valandrus Abor.

Vesuvius almost said something not too kind, then changed his mind for the sake of Marie.

“Can we step out for a few minutes or will your Primate send Daedric minions after you?”

“By Julianos, refrain from using such harsh words in this holy place”, whispered Marie. “Follow me.”

From all the poor souls in the Thaldorn Manor, Marie was in eyes of Vesuvius the most unusual. She was very pretty, far too pretty to be sentenced to the life of a nun, and extremely religious. As he and Sula entered the forsaken basement, Jolie was screaming for help, while Marie was praying to Julianos, eyes closed. She was very kind, almost too kind perhaps. It seemed that she hasn’t changed in all these years.

“It’s been a while since you’ve been here, sir Lex…”

“Ves, please, Marie. Your Primate won’t hear us here.” They were standing on the front porch of the Great Chapel. The paranoid looking Wood Elf passed them, eyeing Ves. If he had been hoping before that the stranger will come to the midnight meeting behind the chapel, he now realized that he’s one of them – the conspirators.

“Ves, yes. That’s right. So…Ves, how do you do?”

“I’m fine, Marie, thanks for asking. How about you? Still devoted to Julianos, I see.”

“Oh, I’m fine too, thanks for asking, sir…Ves. Julianos guides my path, he will do so for the rest of my life. He alone is responsible for my liberation. Oh…and you of course.”

“I’m sure Julianos guided me to the manor.” Vesuvius smiled but of course Marie didn’t sense sarcasm in his statement.

“Yes, I’m convinced about this as well. My prayers were heard. So…when did you arrive? Are you staying here for long?”

“I arrived yesterday late in the evening. I’ll be around for a few days, yes. But not here in Skingrad, I plan to explore some of the wilderness. I’ll return to the town to rest and resupply in between.”

“Oh…sounds like a…great plan. That is, for an adventurer. You were always such a brave man. Yes. Hm. Hm.”

“Hm?”

“Yes, hm. I have an offer for you, if you’re interested.”

“I bet it involves Julianos.”

Marie chuckled. “It all involves Julianos. But I was meaning to teach you some of restorative magic, if you’re interested. I figure it might be handy for someone…like you, an adventurer, I mean. This way you don’t need to rely on healing potions all the time.”

“This would be great, Marie. Very helpful indeed. I know my way with basic healing spells, but that’s about it. When do you propose we do it?”

“MARIE!” Valandrus Abor’s booming voice stormed from inside the Chapel.

“PLEASE BE MORE QUIET FOR THE SAKE OF JULIANOS!” Vesuvius returned the yell.

“By the Divines, don’t provoke the Primate!” But Vesuvius noticed that Marie was barely holding her laughter back. “I must go…come any time, but not too late. Between 6 and 8 PM would be the best, if it’s alright with you. I’m always here, at the chapel. It’s not like I’m going anywhere.” She smiled.

“MARIE! MARIE PALIELLE!”

“I’ll come, it’s a promise. Now return, else someone will jump out of his skin.” Vesuvius nodded in goodbye and headed back to Two-Sisters Lodge.

***5 days before Branwen’s capture***

Adventuring around Skingrad went better than expected and after selling a bunch of Welkynd stones and even a rare Varla stone to Agnete the Pickled, Vesuvius was richer for almost 2,5000 septims. Why would anyone even consider being in the Legion, when so much gold can be made by simple adventuring?

Decided to celebrate little, he uncorked the bottle of the special wine, which he found in Fort Vlastarus.

Just a sip.

Mmm, this wine is delicious. Truly special. I almost feel guilty drinking it…

…one more sip…

“By the Nine Divines!” yelled Captain Dion, the watch captain. “Drinking on public places isn’t allowed. Go and find yourself a room at one of our inns and sober up!”

Vesuvius could barely walk. The bottle was almost empty and he heard captain’s words in the far distance.

“I’m off to the…” he didn’t finish the sentence, because he tripped over the stairs leading to the chapel.

Dion rolled his eyes, then continued his patrol. For the time being, the stranger wasn’t doing anything that’d be against the law, but he decided to stay close, in case something bad would happen.

The door to the Great Chapel opened with a slight creak as Vesuvius stumbled inside. “I’m here for the leshons…” he yelled, “Marie’s not going anywhere, right, Primate? So…why not…now?”

Valandrus Abor, the Primate of Julianos, hurried to the drunk stranger. It was the same man who talked with Marie the other day. A disgrace! “By Julianos, get out, get out!”

“Back off, cultist! I’m here to shee Marie, not you!”

“CULTIST?” Valandrus couldn’t believe these words. “I'm Valandrus Abor, Primate of Julianos. You may address me as 'Your Eminence'. And now…leave!”

“I’m not going anywhere, I’m here for the leshons…restoration…healing, you know? Restoration means healing… did you know this, Primate?”

“A Primate has better things to do than to spend time chatting with drunks. Beggars have plenty of time on their hands. I'm sure you'll have much in common. Now leave!"

What happened afterwards, happened so fast, that Vesuvius Lex couldn’t piece all the events together while sobering up in the Skingrad prison. He remembered that Valandrus was suddenly shouting like mad, casting spells here and there, and that some other priest jumped in, trying to calm him – Vesuvius – down.

Then there was one guard, who wanted to arrest him, and soon after there were two guards.

Then he woke up wearing only dirty prison trousers lying on a hay pile in the cell.

His head ached like mad, but it ached even more, when the jail keeper told him, that he’s going to be imprisoned for ten days.

TEN DAYS?

“You have plenty of time to sober up and think about your actions, Imperial brother. Plenty of time. Spend it well. And be grateful that you’re not alone in a cell.”

“What do you mean…?” Before Vesuvius turned around, the familiar voice greeted him from the other bed.

“Hey, Imp, no worries, you no alone here! Har har har! Khetto is here too! Stole a bay horse but got caught! Har har har! Remember me? Cheydinhal jail? You and me together! Har har har!”

Vesuvius couldn’t believe his bad fortune – the annoying Har har horse thief Khetto that already shared the cell with him in Cheydinhal, was with him again!

“It can’t be,” he muttered.

“Har har. We plenty of time together now. Can Khetto tell a story?”

“NO!”

“Once there lived a family…”

“I SAID NO! I don’t want to hear any story! I don’t want to hear you talking at all! My head is aching like mad and your words are only making the pain worse.”

“But ‘tis a good story. It involves lots of wine and a secret passage.”

“I don’t care. Shut up.”

Ves laid back down and closed his eyes. Fortunately, Khetto was quiet and even more fortunately, they released the old Nord the following day.

“You sure you don’t want to hear my story?” Khetto asked as he was about to leave the cell. Ves felt sadness in his voice and it made him feel bad for being rude to Khetto the day before. It was obvious that the Nord was nutty, but he was obviously harmless.

“Sorry, Khetto, I didn’t mean to yell at you. But you’ll tell me the story the next time we meet, alright?”

“Promise, Imp? Promise?” Khetto was jumping around like a happy kid.

“Promise. Now be careful out there.”

“Khetto careful. Har har. Always. Until gets caught. Next time I tell you the story. You’ll see how Khetto killed goblins, smuggled wine and walked the secret passage.”

“Sure, sure…” and with a quieter tone Ves added…” whatever.”

***2 days AFTER Branwen’s capture***

“Oh, really?” Marie Palielle could barely believe the Primate’s words.

“Do you think I’d have any reason for not telling the truth?” Valandrus disapprovingly snorted.

“Of course not, Primate.”

“So! One more time, MARIE PALIELLE…in this letter which you received today, it is written that services of a healer are required in the Imperial City and you’re to go there. Quite astonishing that they decided for YOU…and not for ME but I assume that they know that my role in watching over the Great Chapel is more IMPORTANT of course. Enough words, Marie Palielle. Pack your belongings and make Julianos proud.”

“But Primate, I…I won’t be able to travel to the Imperial City on my own. I’m not a warrior, I’m a mere healer.”

“Right, I forgot to mention that it says here that the fellow priest of Julianos will come and accompany you to the Imperial City. He is to come in the days ahead. Brother Elritar. He could be here any time, you must be ready! We don’t want to disappoint him!”

“I understand, Primate.”

Such a shame. She was really looking forward to spending some lessons with Vesuvius, but now because of the incident which he had caused at the Chapel, she won’t even be able to say goodbye to him.

Such was the will of Julianos.

If she had known that the man asked to deliver the letter, was lying dead behind the Great Chapel, Marie Palielle might doubt, that her supposed mission was truly the will of her deity.

---

Skingrad ahead

Ves and Marie

Sister Marie Palielle

Drinking in public

One step too much

Ruckus in the Great Chapel

Resisting arrest

Overpowered

"Har har!"

Brother Elritar on the way

A stranger in town

"Fabulous! The stranger will spy for me while all I need to do, is to put this letter to the letter box for the Great Chapel."

The letter has been delivered...

This post has been edited by Lopov: Jun 7 2020, 06:22 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 7 2020, 07:36 PM
Post #24

Paladin
Group Icon

Heh, nice nod to the paranoid little Glarthir, near the Skingrad Chapel.

My heart broke for Ves once he got into that wine. He is a good man except for that big problem that cost him both his job and Branwen. Sure enough, he ends up in jail – and with Khetto again no less!

Uh oh. A not so sharp Primate and a cleverly done anagram could not hide my immediate suspicion when I read ‘Brother Elritar’.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 7 2020, 07:59 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

Whenever someone is introduced as the Primate of a church, I keep thinking they are a monkey...

I also appreciated the nod to the paranoid wood elf eternally waiting behind the chapel at midnight.

PLEASE BE MORE QUIET FOR THE SAKE OF JULIANOS!”
laugh.gif Ves is a lot of fun!

Aaand he's back to sharing a cell with Khareem of Wheet!

Uh oh, the Rieltar tightens the noose around the next victim...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 8 2020, 01:02 PM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

Lopov, I love how it's sort of obvious Marie is an NPC. "Come back between 6 and 8...." for instance. biggrin.gif But that starting monologue she speaks is quite touching. That seems less NPC-like. Everything she says revolves around Julianos. Hmm. Actually, this is true of real nuns too.

Oh my gosh he's drunk! wacko.gif Let me finish this later...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 14 2020, 10:30 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

@Acadian - in the future Ves will regret getting drunk in Skingrad. Events would have played out in a different way, if he had remained sober.

@SubRosa - the arrogant Primate fits perfectly into the story. Before I had no idea that he's so rude, probably none of mine even talked to him.

@Renee - some of Marie's quotes are genuine, but most of them are fiction.

VII

Branwen didn’t know whether seeing the woman stepping towards her in the darkness was a dream or not, but she didn’t dare to ask Rieltar, when he came in the next morning. He brought her some food, quite a lot of it actually and put it on a small chair in front of her, so she could reach it. He even released the collar around her neck, so she could move her neck forward and eat. With an apologizing tone he said, that he’ll be gone for a few days and that she should remain quiet, because the mother doesn’t want to be disturbed. “She’s unpredictable, you see,” were his last words, before he left.

Brother Elritar was an odd one.

Marie Palielle was hoping to palaver about Julianos with the priest while walking to the Imperial City, but he barely opened his mouth. She was looking forward to spending time with someone else than with the Primate in Skingrad, but now she was even missing her mentor, because although he was constantly nagging and scolding her, he did at least talk! Whereas Brother Elritar hardly said a word since they left Skingrad. Having no other choice, Marie was quiet as well. Such is the will of Julianos, she thought.

“Do you wish to pray?” Elritar’s words scared Marie so much that she almost jumped back. She was enjoying listening to chirruping birds and considering that the priest has been completely silent up until now, his words came as a complete surprise.

“Ermm… pray? Yes, but of course…”

“There’s a shrine. You can go there and pray.” Elritar pointed to the shrine by Lake Rumare.

“Oh, this is a shrine of Dibella, not of our patron, … “ Elritar was staring at her and Marie felt fear for the first time “…but it can’t hurt, right? Praying to Dibella, that is.”

What’s wrong with him? Marie thought while going on her knees at the shrine. As she clasped her hands together and wanted to pray, a malevolent thick red aura encircled her. Marie Palielle recognized the spell immediately and now real fear overcame her! But she managed enough strength to extend her left hand in the air and cast a healing spell, restoring some of her quickly draining fatigue.

“HELP!” She managed to stand up and recast the spell, regaining more of her lost fatigue. “HELP!”

Rieltar didn’t expect this! He should have taken into account that Marie was a priest and compared to Branwen, knew how to reject some of the spell effects. Stupid, stupid Rieltar! Get a whip, Myraan. We have a stupid son here!

He ran after Marie, hoping that no legionnaires or travelers were close. Marie was a slow runner and Rieltar was about to cast the fatigue-sucking spell again when Marie turned around and almost hit his head with an axe! An axe! Where was she hiding it until now??

“Stay away, you fetcher! Away, away! HELP, somebody HELP me!” Where are soldiers when you need them? Vesuvius help me!

Ever since her liberation five years ago, Marie Palielle was always carrying an ornate enchanted axe by her side. There was special magic inscribed on that weapon, so it was invisible until being used. Afterward, it became invisible again, if not being in use for a minute. She never needed to use it until today, but she lacked proper skills in using it. If she aimed better, she could have hit his head and even killed him. A grave thought, Julianos forgive me, but it’d be justified!

Marie rushed down to the lake, her plan was to cast the water walking spell and run all over the lake to the Waterfront. But that’s when she made a mistake – she turned around. And “brother Elritar” was nowhere to be seen.

By Julianos, is he gone? Did I actually manage to scare him away? Or did he cast an invisibility spell?

A red aura encircled her again, this time twice in a row! Marie lift her hand and tried to cast a healing spell, but she was sparked by powerful shock magic. She couldn’t stand anymore and fell down to the thick grass just as she saw “brother Elritar” removing some robe that was barely visible.

“A robe of chameleon, Marie Palielle,” whispered Rieltar as he leaned over her. “Now I’ll cast the familiar spell again and you’ll fall asleep. Don’t be afraid, Marie. Just…behave and you might live. Let’s not anger the mother, mmm?”

Rieltar was back and not alone. He came to the basement carrying the familiar woman – Marie Palielle, the nun from Skingrad. She was still unconscious. With some leather strips he tied her to the wall, then sat on the throne in front of them.

So he’s after us again, thought Branwen. He got me, now he got Marie, there’s only Jolie left. He’ll keep us here chained like his deranged parents. But maybe…

“Rieltar.” He quickly turned his head to Branwen.

“What if I’m a virgin no longer?” It was worth a try.

Rieltar smiled. “Doesn’t matter, my mother says. The ritual that she wanted to perform years ago, can not be performed anymore. Look at the altar. Destroyed by the Legion. No, it doesn’t matter, if you fooled yourself around or not.”

“Why then? Why are we here?”

Rieltar smiled again. Branwen was carefully observing him – not a trace of the ashamed Rieltar that was picking up pieces of the broken jug in front of her. Not a trace of Rieltar who almost apologized for leaving her alone. The look in his eyes was now focused, determined but most of all…fearsome. Was he such a good “actor”… or was he just deranged? Or was there something else? What if he has a twin brother? What if Thaldorns had not one, but two sons?

“Why are you here, you say? It’s fairly simple, really…but first…we have to get one more, right? One more is missing. Tell me the name of the one that’s missing, Branwen, and I’ll tell you why are we…You here.”

“Jolie,” whispered Branwen.

“JOLIE!” Rieltar screamed so loud that Marie Palielle woke up.

“GOOD! GOOD! THE NUN IS WITH US TOO! FABULOUS!”

“Come to me, Julianos, for without you, my wit is weak…” chanted Marie Palielle but was immediately interrupted by Rieltar’s deranged shouting.

“SHUT UP! SHUT UP WITH THIS JULIANOS NONSENSE!”

Deranged, that’s what he is, thought Branwen. Insane, out of his mind, diabolical.

Marie Palielle said nothing but was staring first at Rieltar, then at Branwen. She was beginning to grasp the graveness of the situation.

“So…Branwen…I owe you an answer, right?”

She nodded.

Unexpectedly, Rieltar swiftly jumped from his throne straight down to Branwen and stopped so close to Branwen that they could almost kiss. He continued with a quieter tone as if there was someone close that shouldn’t have heard his words.

“We’re bringing someone back to life…someone very dear to me…someone that you know so very good. Someone that was good to me and had to die because of you, you, you!”

He sat back on the throne.

“You saw her…she’s hard to control in this state. But with proper blood, the blood of you…” he pointed at Branwen” and you…” he pointed at Marie “and from that whorrre from Leyawiin,” he pointed at an empty space between Marie and Branwen “she’ll live again. I can’t wait to go for a walk by the lake with my sweet mommy. Have a kiss, mom. Have a kiss, Rieltar.”

Branwen and Marie could barely believe his words. Branwen even more so, because unlike Marie, she saw Rieltar’s mother, obscured in fog and covered with darkness. She didn’t have a clue about magic, but does this mean, that Rieltar’s mother was walking somewhere in the manor in some state of half-life? Was she an undead? Perhaps even a zombie? But didn't Rieltar a minute ago say, that his mother SAID that the ritual can't be performed anymore? Was there any truth to his words?

“You’re quiet now,” Rieltar said, his voice calm again. He was staring at the empty space between his captives.

“Maybe the answer doesn’t satisfy you.

Maybe you don’t believe me.

So I’ll take my leave.

I believe you two have some talking to do. Talk all you want but be careful.” He raised his right index finger like he was a teacher that was just about to say something important. “Loud talking makes my mother nervous. Tomorrow I’ll bring you some food, then I’ll be gone for a day or two, maybe three. No worries, even if you don’t eat for a day, you won’t die. When I return, we'll finally be complete and then it'll be over. I can't wait.”

---

Humble servant of Julianos

In a silent company

Time to pray

"By Julianos!"

"HELP! HELP!"

Overpowered

Back in the basement

The captor

Going for Jolie

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 14 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

Branwen survived the encounter with Ghost Mother. I was not expecting that. Now I wonder if Mommie Dearest is waiting for Norman Bates Rieltar to recapture all of the previous victims before putting her nefarious scheme into motion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 14 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #29

Paladin
Group Icon

‘Marie Palielle was hoping to palaver about Julianos.’
- - I learned a new word here. smile.gif

'Rieltar didn’t expect this! He should have taken into account that Marie was a priest and compared to Branwen, knew how to reject some of the spell effects. Stupid, stupid Rieltar! Get a whip, Myraan. We have a stupid son here!'
- - It really shows us here how insane Rieltar is that his first reaction to his blunder is to imagine how his parents would chastise him for it.

'Marie turned around and almost hit his head with an axe!'
- - You go, girl! Uh oh, it didn’t prevent her capture. Clever story behind Marie's axe.

Yikes! I’m hoping that Jolie’s abduction goes poorly and that Julianos provides a hero to rescue the damsels that are surely in distress!

Nice supporting screenshots. goodjob.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Jun 15 2020, 02:30 AM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

We need a hero
Hope she can hold out 'til the morning light
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be sober for the fight

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 16 2020, 01:12 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

Gawd what a nutcase. I can't wait to see Rieltar fall to whatever succumbs him. Even Rattler eventually fell to his doom!

Marie put up a good fight against this monster. I was hoping she'd cast that Water Walking spell and be gone! Alas, I don't think NPCs can ;cast that spell, even if they have it in their book. purplewizardsmile.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jun 14 2020, 01:58 PM) *

‘Marie Palielle was hoping to palaver about Julianos.’
- - I learned a new word here. smile.gif

I often learn a new word in everybody's stories.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 21 2020, 06:12 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

@SubRosa - indeed, Branwen survived. When she woke up, the mother was gone. But I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of her...

@Acadian - I learned the word 'palaver' from Stephen King's The Dark Tower Series, the word is there mentioned fairly often. I assume the word must have some roots in Latin / Italian, because on Italian "to talk" is "parlare".

@macole - I agree, it's important that Ves remains sober in the near future.

@Renee - Marie's axe was an unexpected event for me, that's why I included the invisible axe in the story. The story is heavily-based on real-game events, so things might get even more complicated if Marie made it to Pell's Gate, for instance.

VIII

“Marie is gone? Oh…she was supposed to teach me some restorative magic…”

“In that you should visit her in the Imperial City. Brother Elritar escorted her there. You can find her in the Temple of the One, I assume. Now if you’ll excuse me…I have a funeral to attend to.”

“Of course, Primate. And please, accept my apologies. My behavior the other day was…inappropriate.”

Primate Valandrus Abor snorted, then nodded, and Vesuvius assumed that the apology was half-accepted. He felt a bit better now. Regardless of the fact, that the Primate was rude and uppity, he didn’t deserve the ruckus, which Vesuvius caused in the Great Chapel a week ago.

Such a shame that Marie was gone, he was really looking forward to getting better at restoration. Oh well! I’ll visit her the next time I’m in the Imperial City.

As Vesuvius stepped out of the Great Chapel, he saw a pair of guards carrying a wooden stretcher with a corpse upon it. He immediately recognized the dead man– it was the paranoid Bosmer that wanted to meet with him behind the Chapel.

Looks like I’ll never find out what he wanted to talk to me about. Anyway, it’s time to leave Skingrad. I bet that Odysseus is already worried about me.

“Didn’t you hear what my wife said?” Edouard Retienne was barely holding back not to throw the courier by the name of Lartier out of his abode.

“Get out! Get out now! Look what you have done! She’s crying!” Standing behind them, Jolie Retienne was sobbing by the fireplace.

“Is this…” Lartier made a pause” …your final answer? Are you sure that you want to refuse such a generous offer?” he continued with a calm voice.

“Yes! Now get out, before I carry you out myself!” yelled Edouard.

“Understood. I apologize for the inconvenience. You shall never see me again.”

As the supposed courier left the house of Retiennes in Water’s Edge, Edouard hurried to his wife Jolie. He loved her dearly and the words of the stranger upset her, because they reminisced her of events that took place five years ago.

Outside, Rieltar Brunos Thaldorn jumped on the horse that he bought in Bravil and slowly rode out of Water’s Edge. Such a shame! He had expected that his plan would work and Retiennes would come with him to the Imperial City…he didn’t know much about the third captive, known as Jolie, but he was supposed to find her in Leyawiin. Yesterday while staying at the Five Claws Lodge, he paid a hefty sum of septims to innkeeper Witsedutsei, and she revealed him that there’s only one Jolie in the vicinity – years ago she was known merely as Jolie but then she married and has been since then known as Jolie Retienne, living in Water’s Edge.

The husband of course complicated things, so Rieltar needed to come up with a plan. After some pondering he decided to try the following trick – he visited Retiennes and introduced himself as Lartier, the courier from the Imperial City. He brought Jolie 2,000 septims as a payment for the suffering that she endured during her captivity five years ago. He lied to be a representative of the Legion and claimed that after many years they decided to pay all captives 10,000 septims as a compensation. 2,000 septims was to be paid upfront and 8,000 more at the seat of the Legion in the Imperial City. His plan was to get rid of the husband while on a way to the Imperial City and kidnap Jolie. Alas, Jolie didn’t even want to hear about the gold, and her barbaric husband threw him out the house.

But Rieltar Brunos Thaldorn had another plan. And this one shall work.

A few hours later a group of four Black Bow bandits stormed the house of Retiennes. There was another person with them, covered with the Robe of Chameleon, so Retiennes didn’t see him, at least that's what Rieltar thought. The orders he gave to the Black Bow bandits prior to the attack, were clear.

“Kill the husband and help me kidnap the wife. She must not die!”

He paid them in advance and he’ll pay them even more, he said.

He lied of course.

Rieltar Brunos Thaldorn was not to be trusted.

Black Bow bandits shot a plethora of arrows at Edouard while Rieltar cast a familiar horrific red aura spell on Jolie. Weakened and in shock to see her husband fall in front of her own eyes, Jolie was an easy prey.

As she slowly opened her eyes, there was a man standing above her, staring at her with a blank expression on his face. Around here were dead bodies of four bandits that had previously attacked their home.

“Hello, young one. My name is Rieltar,” said the man. She immediately recognized him. It was Lartier – the courier.

“I believe we must go,” he said. “My mother is anxious to meet you. Again.”

In the Retiennes house the muscular arm grabbed the shaft of one of the arrows that were plucked inside his body. He knew that it was inadvisable to remove arrows in such a way but he had no other choice. With a bestial roar the first arrow left its target

“It takes more…. than a mere arrow…to kill Edouard Retienne!”

One by one, all arrows were out. Either bandits were bad archers either Edouard was lucky that he survived. He was bleeding and he was in dire need of healing, but he needed to find his wife! He needed to find Jolie!

Stumbling, dizzy Edouard stepped out of the house. Bright sunlight blinded him and he tripped over the stairs, falling down to the cobbled road. Just in that time the rider on the fine black horse was riding at high speed through Water’s Edge and in the last second managed to jump over Edouard.

“Slow down, Odysseus, slow down!” ordered Vesuvius and swiftly jumped from the black horse. “There’s a man in a need of healing.”

“Don’t move too much, friend. I’m no healer but I have some fine potions with me. Take this…”

Edouard grabbed Vesuvius’ hand so strong, that he dropped the potion to the ground. His face was pale and his clothes were drenched in blood, but his eyes were sane, his view focused.

“My wife! JOLIE! She’s been…kidnapped!”

An imminent lump appeared in Vesuvius’ throat. Was this the same Jolie that he wanted to greet? He came all the way down to the Black Forest, hoping to greet one of the girls, whose lives he had saved five years ago. He heard that she had married to some farmer, but was this wounded man in front of his eyes in fact Jolie’s husband?

“Jolie…is she your wife? Wait...drink this potion first! Then tell me what happened.”

Edouard took the potion, Vesuvius supported his head, and the Breton at first made a few small sips. As his wounds started healing, he made a bigger sip, then nodded as if it were enough for now, so Ves removed the potion.

“The bandits came…and took her. He was with them, covered in some invisibility cloak. He thought that I can’t see him but I did…Lartier. From the Imperial City! That’s where he took her! You must find her! You must find JOLIE!”

---

Released

Jolie Retienne

Lartier the courier

Edouard steps in

Leaving...?

In return for killing the opposing bandit faction,...

...Rieltar demanded a service from the surviving Black Bow bandits.

Cloaked

Retiennes under attack

Overpowered

Payment time

Black dead bandits

"Hello, young one. My name is Rieltar."

Above Edouard

"You must find JOLIE!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Jun 21 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

Ah, the chase is on, me thinks.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 21 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh Noes! Rieltar has almost kidnapped them all! Thank goodness Ves is on the trail though!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 21 2020, 07:23 PM
Post #35

Paladin
Group Icon

Ahah, looks like Lartier is an anagram for Rieltar.

Nice job of filling in Jolie’s history. His plan did indeed seem like a good one, as the offer of some up front gold with the promise of more is usually pretty effective.

Though the offer didn’t work on the Retiennes, it plied the Black Bow Bandits quite effectively. Rieltar would doublecross his hired help? Say it’s not so! wink.gif

Edouard lives! Those Black Bow Bandits are as incompetent as they are greedy.

And Ves is passing by Water’s Edge! Woot!

Lots of wonderful moving parts here and you’re doing a fabulous job of weaving them all together.

Your screenshots nicely fit and support the tale.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Jun 22 2020, 04:28 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 22 2020, 04:22 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

Ah crap. Now he' Lartier. mad.gif And he's craft as ever, even hiring a bunch of lowlife black bows to help him this time. Fortunately, Jolie's husband Edouard managed to evade death, and now he's informed the drunkard Vesuvius about his wife's capture! emot-ninja1.gif It's all over now for Lartier, let's hope.

Hey it looks like Vesuvius has some sort of markings on his arms! Not tattoos, but some sort of coloring.

Gosh, Lartier looks menacing. mad.gif You're so good with faces, Lopov.

Wow, how'd you get that shot of the bandits all listening to Rieltar as he stands upon his stool!?

Wow, you even managed to get the bandit brawl! .... Rieltar pwns them all, but he needs help from his zombie. indifferent.gif

WOW Ves jumping over Edouard with his horse, even! blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jun 28 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

@macole - the chase is on indeed!

@SubRosa - all of them kidnapped again. Will the history repeat itself again and will the girls be saved or will this time the evil prevail?

@Acadian - the story is partly composed of fixed / scripted events, which I orchestrate myself, but I also allow some random events to happen. One major random / unexpected event was in the previous story, when Marie resisted the spell and even briefly attacked Rieltar with an axe. So it felt appropriate to modify the story and include these events as well. In the previous story the fact that Edouard survived, was a random / unexpected event. In my vision of the events he was supposed to die, but I forgot to toggle off his essential status in the GECK. laugh.gif I had a different plan, for how Ves would get on Rieltar's trail but I think the story is even better with the fact that Edouard pointed him in the right direction.

@Renee - do you mean markings on his armor on skin? If you mean skin, it's probably just some shadows. His armor is from some mod, that adds a lot of armor, I think it's Brasher's.

All bandits were Rieltar's temporary followers, thanks to the Sharing and Caring companions.

IX

Brother Elritar, Lartier the courier…

…the name was the same, that was immediately clear to Ves as he was riding as fast as possible north along the Green Road.

“Lartier. From the Imperial City! That’s where he took her!” were Edouard’s words.

“I’d advise you to visit her in the Imperial City. Brother Elritar escorted her there.” Primate’s words echoed in Ves’ head.

It couldn’t be a coincidence. The same girls that were kidnapped five years ago, were now kidnapped again. Two of them at least. Ves hoped that Branwen was safe. Elritar, Lartier, Lartier, Elritar…he kept repeating these names in his head. They were very familiar...

“The son! It must be because of the son, Odysseus.” The black horse snorted just as he’d understand his owner’s words. “Thaldorns had a son…I don’t remember his name, I know it started with R…but it was similar to Elritar and Lartier.”

Thinking back, Ves remembered that nobody paid any real attention to the only heir of the Thaldorn Manor. His superiors took the matter in their own hands, and all Ves knew, was that by the time of the events in Cyrodiil, the young Thaldorn was apparently studying magic in Skyrim.

Did he come back? Did he return home?

As he rode past Pell’s Gate, Ves stopped at the hill overlooking the Thaldorn Manor. The house stands still…not sure what I expected? That it’ll move? Shivers went down his spine. Even birds didn’t chirrup near the manor.

If it weren’t for the sound of the waterfall behind it, there’d be complete silence.

Not a sign of life.

He could climb down and check the door but he sensed that it’d be locked. It was locked five years ago…maybe keys are still being kept in the Imperial City Bastion? It was worth a try. But would the mysterious kidnapper really bring Marie and Jolie back to the manor? Perhaps yes…perhaps mentioning the Imperial City was just a trick. But even if it was a trick, Ves couldn’t enter the manor without the proper key and he had no other lead to follow. He almost rode away, then changed his mind in the last second. If he doesn’t at least climb down and try to get inside, he’ll think about it all the way to the Imperial City.

Locked, just as I thought. The doorknob was big and rusty and one half of the door was covered in moss. Wood underneath his feet creaked as he moved. Ves tried picking the lock, but it was in vain. It was one of those complicated locks that could only be opened with a proper key.

Not a sign of life.

Time to check on Branwen.

If anyone hurt her, he’s in troubles. Big troubles. That’s a promise from Vesuvius Lex!

They were together now, the three of them. Jolie, Marie and Branwen. Just like five years ago. Once again they were reliving the common nightmare. Rieltar came to the basement two times day, and as Branwen noticed, it was always the “ashamed Rieltar.” He’d bring them some food and water, then quickly leave. Fortunately, the mother didn’t appear again. Branwen hoped to never see her again. She couldn’t know that this was about to change very soon.

“Honestly, now that I think of it, I haven’t seen Branwen for almost two weeks.”

After hearing words of the Imperial guard in the Arena, Vesuvius thought that he’d faint. If he had only returned to the Imperial City sooner! If he had only remained sober in Skingrad! If he had only remained sober years ago!

“And her Argonian friend…Saliith?” asked Ves, his voice full of hope.

“Hmm…now that I think of it…I haven’t seen him either. Maybe they finally decided that the Arena isn’t a place for them.”

“Can’t be. They left all their belongings behind. Wasn’t that suspicious to you? Couldn’t you start an investigation? You’re standing here all days or nights long, you saw that they’re both suddenly gone and you just stood there?”

“I know that you used to be a guard captain,” arrogantly said the guard. “But now you’re only a mere citizen. And as such, you have no rights to question my work.”

Ves realized that he won’t get any more useful information out of the guard. It was time to return to the Imperial Bastion. Hopefully his older brother can help him.

“Julianos help us all!”

Marie’s scream woke up Branwen and Jolie.

“What is it?” asked Jolie.

“There…in the darkness…behind the cabinet. AAAAAAH!”

Branwen and Jolie looked in the darkness and understood why Marie screamed.

Something blue was shining in the utter darkness.

Something bright blue.

The amulet.

Her amulet.

“It’s her!” panicked Marie! ”It’s her! The undead mother of his!”

“Quiet, Marie!” shouted Branwen, surprised at her own words. “You there, in the darkness!” she went on. “Is it you, Deurexia? Stop hiding, show yourself!”

“Don’t provoke her, Branwen,” hushed Jolie. “We don’t know what we’re up against…”

“RGHHHGR…” gurgling sound came from the darkness as if someone’s throat was full of water. Or some other liquid. Poison?

Branwen regretted saying anything.

Jolie had a lump in her throat.

Marie was silently praying to Julianos.

The figure in the darkness stepped forward, stumbled, then jumped down to the ground, landing on all fours like some animal. She slowly lowered the head and sniffed the floor.

“BGGHHHR!” The figure made an unexpected long leaping jump towards them.

“It’s her!” Marie panicked again. “She’s coming for us! Julianos take me! Julianos come for me! End my life, end my suffering…”

“GHHHHR!”

Gurgling yell interrupted Marie’s hysteria as the figure suddenly stood up and with stumbling zombie-like footsteps began walking towards her.

Now all of them were screaming.

“Rubbish, dear brother. Utter rubbish.”

Did Ves even expect to hear anything else from his supposedly wiser and older brother?

“Your former girlfriend probably realized that her Argonian friend doesn’t have problems with alcohol and traveled with him to the Black Marsh, perhaps.”

Oh, how much Ves wanted to punch the pride of the Lex family straight in his nose.

“Then how about the priest of Julianos that was supposed to bring one of the healers to the Imperial City? Did this healer make it here? I was to the Temple of the One and Marie, the priest, isn’t there.”

“Such a shame. Maybe they’re somewhere else. In some inn perhaps. In that case you won’t have troubles finding them.”

He knew that hitting his brother would only worsen the situation, but the temptation was hard to resist.

“And Lartier? The courier that was supposed to bring thousands of septims to Jolie Retienne? Her wounded husband said that he had claimed to be sent on behalf of the authorities. Do you know of any Lartier? Edouard Retienne almost died!”

“Report the crime in Leyawiin, that’s not my county.”

“And Lartier? Ever heard of him?”

“Don’t know, don’t care. There are many couriers in employ of the Legion.” Hieronymus Lex stood up from his comfortable chair in the Imperial City Bastion. Ves noticed that his desk was full of various reports about the Gray Fox. Some things never change.

“I have work to do. The Thieves Guild is making…”

“Damn you and your Thieves Guild! They never killed anybody! If you don’t want to help me, Hieronymus, then please for the sake of our family, please at least give me the key to the Thaldorn Manor and I’ll check out the place out myself. Please!”

“Hmmm…begging are you? Well… I’d really like to help, “ sarcastically said Hieronymus, “but I don’t have the key. Three of them existed and as far as I remember, all of them were sent to the son of Thaldorns to Skyrim.”

“Do you remember the name of this son, Hieronymus?”

“Huh…no, not anymore. Why does it matter?”

“Because I think he’s returned.”

“Go get yourself a drink, brother. Just don’t make a ruckus afterwards.” Hieronymus put a coin bag out of a drawer and opened it, but before he could get septims out, Vesuvius was already out of his office.

Despair.

Utter hopelessness.

Was there really no way inside the Thaldorn Manor?

Marie’s screaming was echoing in the basement as the dark figure was seismically jumping towards her, producing gurgling sounds.

“JULIANOS! JULIANOS HELP ME!”

Rieltar wasn’t lying…thought Branwen…there can’t be any other explanation. It can only be her! She behaves like some wild beast but she’s going for Marie.

Just when they all thought that the figure would jump on Marie and tear her apart, it suddenly crouched down on all four, sniffed the floor and hastily crawled up the stairs out of the basement.

The door creaked as it opened.

And creaked as it closed.

In the basement there now reigned utter silence.

Perhaps mages can help me unseal the door, they’re my last hope, thought Ves as he hurried out of the Imperial Bastion.

“Har har har, Imp! We meet again!” The familiar voice, followed by the familiar face. Khetto was coming from behind the corner, waving at Ves.

“I just been released. Stole a horse…”

“Out of my way, Khetto. I have no time for you!”

“But you promised, Imp! You promised that you’ll listen to my story of goblins, wine and the secret passage.”

“Next time, Khetto!” Ves was running down the stairs.

“No, no, no next time. Khetto tell you story now!” The Nord was now running behind Ves like an adoring fan would follow champions of the Arena.

“You can run behind me if you want, Khetto, but I’m in a hurry. I can’t listen to you now. I have lives to save.”

“Sure, Khetto run behind and tell a story. How ‘bout that?”

“Do what you want by I won’t listen to you!”

“Oh but you will. I won’t give you any other choice!”

By the Nine, is there no way to get rid of this stupid annoying har har horse thief?

“So! Once there a lived a family. They lived in the lake. By the lake. Their surname was Thaldorn.”

Vesuvius stopped running as if being hit by a stun spell.

Normal footsteps.

Rieltar came down the stairs and calmly sat on the throne. He crossed his hands as he was about to have an important speech. All girls were silent, waiting for what’s to come.

“So…what you have witnessed…was an introduction. Yes, that’s quite a proper word. My mother went for the one with the purest blood. The one most innocent. But I called her upstairs with a simple spell. I wanted you to feel fear. I wanted you to fear powerless, hopeless. That’s how I felt when news of my parents being dead, reached me. I hope you felt it all. Because today…is the last day of your mortal life. Tomorrow I’m once again opening the door…I’ll let the mother in. No worries, you won’t die, in a way you’ll live forever…as undead.”

He was silent for a few seconds, then continued…

“Yes, I’ll let the mother in. I admit that I’ll have troubles listening to your screams. She’ll hurt you, there’s no denying. I assume she’ll start with Marie, since she’s the most pure. Once she’s done with her, she’ll turn on any of you two. Which one will she choose first – I know not. I don’t ask for forgiveness but perhaps you can at least understand me. To say ‘enjoy the last day of your human life’ would be inappropriate, so I won’t say anything instead and I’ll just…. take my leave.”

“RIELTAR!” Branwen’s shout came completely unexpectedly and scared even the owner of the manor.

“You don’t need to do this!” She knew it was in vain but it was the last chance. “You’re no weakling. Don’t listen to your mother. You’re your own man!”

Rieltar started at her, as if pondering about something, then made one step closer. Branwen recognized anguish on his face.

“Do...do you really think so? I’m no…weakling?”

He covered his face with his hands and sobbed.

“It’s not just me, Rieltar. We all think so! You’re not evil…I mean, you’re not bad…bad as your parents were! You’re your own man. You don’t need to follow your mother’s orders.”

“Then what should I do? What should I do?” He continued to cover his face.

“Release us! Release us, Rieltar! I know you…”

“You know me?” Rieltar interrupted her. His voice was now different, sobbing no longer. He put his hands down and there was no anguish on his face, but such an evil look that Branwen gasped.

“Then you know me very baaaad, sweet Branwen,” smiled Rieltar. “I can be anyone I want. I can be weak and I can be strong. And you…you will be dead! Soon! All of you! Eaten alive! That’s what SHE will do to you! She’ll savage you like boars savage dead horses!”

He turned around and with a wild glance at Marie and Jolie proudly walked up the stairs.

“Khetto, what did you just say?”

“The story about the family that lived in the lake. By the lake. Thaldorn. Khetto smuggled wine for the master of the house, Myraan. Years, years, many years ago. He liked rare wine, didn’t want to buy it. Khetto stole wine, brought the wine to the master. The master paid him good. Real good.”

“Khetto…you mentioned before some goblins and a secret passage, not right?”

It sounded too good to be true.

“See, Khetto knows that you find the story interesting. Yes, Khetto never allowed to enter through the main door. Master Myraan told Khetto a secret. West of the house lies Horn Cave, full of goblins. A secret passage goes between the cave and the manor. Master Myraan told Khetto this way to use to bring wine. Khetto must kill goblins but Khetto got to the house. Got paid. Back out. Ta ta!”

A spark of hope.

“Khetto…do you think this passage still exists?”

“Don’t know, but why not?

“Khetto…can you lead me to this passage like…now? I’ll pay you a lot!”

“See, I told you ‘tis a good story. If you listened to Khetto, then Khetto already told you this story in Cheydinhal. Khetto knows where the passage is. Lead on, off we go! You and me! Nord & Imp!”

---

Along the Green Road

Thaldorn Manor

The house of horrors

The basement of despair

Blue

Blue in black

The mother returns

Horror of the Thaldorn Manor

The end of the introduction

"Har har!"

"Story! Story!"

"What did you just say?"

"There we are, Khetto! Now lead on! Let's hope we're on the right track! And let's hope we're not too late!"

Branwen saw the mother first, as she came down the stairs, for the time being walking like a normal human being.

"GHRHRHG!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 28 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #38

Paladin
Group Icon

Edge of our seat this entire episode! What an unexpected twist that Har Har Horse Thief has a role larger than comic relief! Another piece falls cleverly into place. Nicely done and can't wait to see how Nord and Imp fare with the hopeful rescue.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 29 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey it's a good thing Vesuvius isn't drinking today. He's starting to put the pieces together.

Another thing: all this time I thought Thaldorn Manor is near Bravil, but it's actually near Pell's Gate. So now I get it. It's not too far away from the I.C. and I thought he had to bring Marie and Branwen much farther than he did.

Can’t be. They left all their belongings behind. Wasn’t that suspicious to you? Couldn’t you start an investigation? You’re standing here all days or nights long, you saw that they’re both suddenly gone and you just stood there?”

Yeah, they stand there all day and night, couldn't they have done something?

Branwen regretted saying anything.

Jolie had a lump in her throat.

Marie was silently praying to Julianos.

Marie prays to Julianos.

Ves noticed that his desk was full of various reports about the Gray Fox. Some things never change.

rollinglaugh.gif

What the heck is that creature? And who the heck is Khetto, really? See, it's like I told you in my last message, there's some sort of bigger picture here. I am trying to make his supposedly-deceased parents fit into this picture some how. Maybe the mother is the beast who scared Marie, Jolie, and Branwen.

Khetto says "ta ta!" rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Jun 29 2020, 04:22 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 29 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

By Julianos' little teapot!

This is boiling toward a conclusion. I am starting to wonder if Khetto is the Gray Fox? Or one of the Divines? He has a habit of turning up in coincidental places.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:06 AM