6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy's Book of Short Stories, Somewhere in Time
Acadian
post Mar 26 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Buffy's book of short stories! Rather than another chronological saga, this will be a collection of independent (generally short) stories that freely span Buffy's long and ongoing adventuring career. She'll tell you a bit more about that choice of format in her prelude below. One feature of the format she has insisted on is that the stories are not directly linked, sequential or particularly interdependent. While I believe you will find them reasonably consistent with 'Buffy lore', I'm looking forward to what I hope will be quite a bit of freedom and flexibility. The format should also make it easy for any readers who join us in progress or return from an absence, to jump right in with the current story.

For those well-familiar with Buffy, I hope you will continue to enjoy the enigmatic elven mage as she presents selective peeks into her neverending adventures across Tamriel. It is easy for Buffy and I to become emotionally overwhelmed as we contemplate the kind, enthusiastic and encouraging support that many have graced us with over the years. And for that we are profoundly grateful. My fervent hope is that you continue to find our efforts worthy of your valuable time.

For those new to Buffy, please do not let her long history deter you from jumping right in and joining us. While her series of full books are available on the Acadian sub forum, their sheer size makes reading them a daunting prospect. Fortunately, our 'Executive Summary' thread on the same sub forum offers what I believe to be a very effective summary that can easily be read in one sitting per book.

Table of contents

- Hard Crowds and Dancing Whales (1 episode) – post #12
3rd Era. Buffy fills in for sick bard at at tavern in Anvil.

- Unfinished Business – Buffy and the Box (1 episode) – post #24
3rd Era. Buffy finally reports back to Sanguine after inflicting nakedness on the Courtess of Leyawiin and some of her party guests.

- A Bard’s Tale (5 episodes) – posts #34-66
4th Era. Buffy receives some valuable bard training at the Bards College in Solitude.

- The Case of the Missing Court Mage (2 Episodes) – posts #76-85
4th Era. Buffy helps locate an absentminded and missing mage in the Riften area.

Prelude

"Acadian, I don't want to write about the Oblivion Crisis right now." Getting up from the desk, I climbed up atop the corner bookshelf and sat down. "I want to write about being ambushed in the Reach by a Thalmor patrol. Or my first encounter as a Slayer with the vampiric Count of Skingrad. Or how, after I managed to lose Azura's Star, we traveled through time to retrieve it. Or maybe about that time when-"

"Buffy," interrupted the paladin, "all those things can eventually be crafted into your larger, overarching plot such that they fit properly along your timeline."

I hopped to the floor. "No!" Both hands planted themselves on my hips as my chin lifted defiantly. "I want to write about those things when the passion moves me to do so, not wait until it 'fits' into some silly book that's so long and complicated we can never write it. Whenever I write something I want, you complain if it doesn't make 'perfect sense' or that it doesn't fit at this point in our 'chronology'. By the time most of the tales I want to share fit into your unmanageable plan, I've long lost the passion that motivated me to write about them!"

There was a long silence before Acadian dubiously remarked, "Are you proposing a book with neither plot nor timeline?"

"Exactly! I am not a plot. I am an elf who travels, adventures and explores - with you, of course." I spread my arms expansively and twirled all the way around once before seating myself on a corner of the desk. "What's hard to understand about that? And would you rather read a story that I wrote when passion moved me to do so, or one that I had to force myself to write in support of some silly timeline?" I softened my tone. "Look, Acadian, you and I can travel between worlds and even move through time together. Why do my stories have to be 'in order'? When a butterfly moves across a meadow visiting flowers, does she do so 'in order'?"

The old paladin chuckled. "Despite my years and experience, the ability to successfully argue with an impassioned woman continues to elude me. Your butterfly metaphor contains a simple logic that I cannot refute. I will never fully understand the. . . whimsy that drives your choices but, over the years, I have grown to at least appreciate it."

"Does that mean. . . ?"

"Yes," he replied. "You are the true source of our passion for writing. I shall constrain you with neither plot nor chronology considerations."

"Thank you, my paladin." I crossed my dangling legs, folded my hands in my lap and smiled. "I know that I can sometimes be a little, well, erratic or even elusive."

Acadian sighed. "Like a butterfly in a thunderstorm, my bowgirl."

"This will be fun!" I chirped.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 26 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Well this is a pleasant surprise. And I did smile at the mention of the butterfly and how Buffy is not bound by plot or timeline like many are(I raise my hand). It is great to see her return and the new adventures she'll tell us about throughout Tamriel.

This is great, Acadian! We get more of our Mystic Archer panic.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 27 2016, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Yay! More Buffy! I am looking forward to the new anthology of Buffy stories!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Mar 27 2016, 04:56 AM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 26 2016, 11:04 PM) *

This will be fun! I chirped.

On this, I think, we are all in agreement. Haa-Rei and I are eagerly looking forward to more Buffy. happy.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 27 2016, 07:19 AM
Post #5

Spam Meister
Group Icon

This really was a fun read! laugh.gif I could very well picture Buffy on that desk with that determination to do things her way. And I do have to agree that doing things while you have a passion for it is the best way to get the best outcome.

Sorry, mr Paladin. But Im on Buffys side here wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Mar 27 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #6

Finder
Group Icon

This was a great read, and I'm eagerly waiting for the new Buffy stories - whatever time period they occur in, and whether or not the collection makes any temporal sense... wink.gif

Also, sympathies on a character who doesn't want to play chronologically - Adryn currently insistently has her focus on her early childhood years as well as Adryn: Tribunal. I've generally been able to wrangle her back to the current time, but it's been hard going and I'm worried she's going to take inspiration from Buffy's example now!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 27 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Mar 26 2016, 06:10 PM) *

This is great, Acadian! We get more of our Mystic Archer panic.gif

Yeah, I'm looking forward too. I missed Buffy's coming up because I didn't join Chorrol until 2012, so I myself will be a picker-upper.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 27 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

ohmy.gif

BUFFY !!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!

Buffy in first person? WOW !!!! WOO HOO !!!!!!! And in short scenes and stories - this is how I originally met Buffy in 2009; little disjointed "Best of Buffy" stories!!!! I loved them, they were my favorite part of the day !!!!

This is AWESOME !!!! And yes, a butterfly should never be tied to a plot or chronological order!

HOOAH !!!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 27 2016, 05:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Mar 27 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Awesome, I was hooked immediately when I read the first paragraph of the prelude and read about which things Buffy wants to talk. Then I enjoyed a nice picturesque conversation between the persistent Mystic Elf and the wise Paladin. goodjob.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 27 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

I think Buffy needs to get Tove the Unrestfull to have a word with Acadian. He explains time much better than anyone else. laugh.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 28 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

I am delighted to see Buffys Book Two beginning! A butterfly is not moved by order, and a dragon is not bound by time. How perfectly fitting that Buffy should share her stories in her own way. wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 1 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #12

Paladin
Group Icon

The prelude above addressed what has been a big impediment to our writing. Unfettering Buffy and fully embracing where her whimsy wants to take us does indeed seem to be helping.

Another problem we have faced is a three-pronged challenge from Skyrim - for that is where Buffy's game and heart reside.
1. Introducing TES dragons into where there was only Acadian's noble ice dragon. Buffy is not the Dragonborn, but we've deconflicted things enough to proceed.

2. Big game mechanics changes from Oblivion to Skyrim. This has been our most vexing challenge to writing. When we try to write Buffy in Cyrodiil using Oblivion mechanics, it feels foreign, dispels our passion and we quit. Our solution is that the mechanics we use in Buffy fiction going forward will much more resemble those in the game of Skyrim than the game of Oblivion. The word Skyblivion comes to mind but, in truth, her fanfic range now includes Elsweyr, Valenwood, Cyrodiil and Skyrim. But the tools, mechanics, magicks and trappings that she uses will be the same that we use everyday in our modded Skyrim game. This change seems to have really ignited her passion to revisit Valenwood and Cyrodiil. Horse archery with a mystic bow on the plains of the Gold Coast! biggrin.gif

3. The time change. Buffy can magically pass both ways through that barrier. How she does so might indeed make for a fine story sometime. It is important now to simply recognize that when she is in Skyrim, it is the Fourth Era and those who play Skyrim will recognize familiar faces and events. When she is south of Skyrim, she is in the late Third Era and those who play Oblivion will see SkyBuffy interacting with familiar faces and events from the game of Oblivion.

As a result of all these changes, Buffy is indeed prolifically scribing away with a rather frighteningly large number of open drafts. I do note that some of them are growing quite a bit longer than I expected. Having learned to . . . adjust to the fickle elf, I have removed the book number from this thread. My plan now is to keep this open for short stories, but when one of them gets to be more than a handful of episodes in length, to pause this thread and fully post any longer story we produce as its own smallish book (Book 2, 3, etc).

Thanks all, for the heartwarming encouragement as we dip our toes back into the arena of fan fiction!

DE- Im so glad you noted the ongoing significance of butterflies to Buffy. Thanks!

SubRosa- Thank you. Your inspiring skill and the unwavering support you have given Buffy for many years have certainly helped us return to writing.

hazmick- Thanks! Your wonderful efforts with Haa-Reis adventures have helped inspire Buffy and I.

mirocu- As you know, Buffy runs on passion. Im so glad you clearly pictured her, even in the prelude. Thank you!

Kazera- Im so pleased to have you join us and thank you for endorsing Buffys approach. I think Adryn could do anything/anywhere she wants her captivating internal voice and endearing character shine through regardless of what shes doing.

Renee- Why thank you! Buffy is shaped to some degree of course by her long history, but the details are not critical to where shes going. Really, shes just like the girl next door who carries a 50 caliber sniper rifle. tongue.gif

mALX- Seven years, my friend. Thats how long Buffy and I have basked in your enthusiastic support. And I treasure it.

Lopov- Thank you. Im really hoping Buffys Girls just wanna have fun approach will help get things going. Im pleased that shes already considering some longer stories.

ghastley- I loved your Tove the Unrestful reference. Just one of his numerous head-bending comments: "I'll talk to you some more yesterday."

Grits- You words carry a magic that always eases my trepidation whenever Buffy and I embark on something new or different thank you. I have grown to love Skyrim, but sorting out the challenges I detailed above has been a struggle. Especially for a little elf who has trouble deciding which pair of shoes to wear, then turns around to go back and change them as soon as we start out the door. laugh.gif

Hard Crowds and Dancing Whales

Ladies and gentlemen! Maenlorns announcement was interrupted by derisive guffaws. The Bosmeri innkeepers serious demeanor deftly transformed into a mischievous grin and he tried again. Pirates and wenches! this time his words received boisterous cheers of approval. As the noise subsided, he continued, Freya, our regular bard, will be late this evening.

Boo!
This taverns goin ta blivion in a fertilizer cart!
Freya git sick from eatin yer leek soup?
That Nord wench cant sing but she sure do fill out the little dress she wears.
Did she fall over from bein top heavy and hurt herself?
Nah, she woulda bounced.

Undeterred, Maenlorn held up a hand. Chance smiles upon us, my friends, for we are joined this very evening by a young lady who has graciously agreed to take Freyas first set. The grumbling stopped as many in the tavern looked around curiously.

Shes an elf with a magical voice, promised Maenlorn. We are lucky indeed that she has just arrived in Anvil this very day for a brief stay. Fresh from the forests of Valenwood, please give a warm Flowing Bowl welcome to Buffy the bardic Bosmer!

As I stepped up onto what served as the taverns small performing area, there was some light applause. And a few comments.

Whats a Buffy? Sounds like a snack on the menu.
Mebbe she strips down to the buff when she sings! Haw!
Shaddup and give the poor elf a chance!
Dont gotta worry bout bein top heavy, do ye!
She be a pretty lil thing though.
Probably gots a good voice ta compensate fer bein scrawny.
Hey, I said shaddup! Let er sing!

Thank you for that kind introduction, Maenlorn, and Im pleased to be here, I began nervously. I discovered some time ago that I have an ability, via song, to share images and impressions of places and events Ive experienced during my travels. The tavern had grown awkwardly quiet. Through practice, enhanced by the magical school of illusion, Ive been able to refine this ability into something that I hope you will find pleasing. My hopeful look met more blank stares than smiles of encouragement.

I-I wasnt expecting to be performing tonight, I continued to the bored faces in front of me, so I must ask that you bear with me as I retrieve my lute. There were several groans and complaints. More than a few patrons went back to their conversations. Itll only take a moment I promise! I opened my fingers to release a fistful of magic and closed them around the still materializing neck of my lute. There were several oohs and aahs. As the swirling tendrils of magic faded, the lute in my hand now looked rather mundane, save the slight bluish glow to its strings and tuning keys.

I hopped up onto the stages lone barstool and crossed my dangling legs at the ankles. Realizing how childlike that probably looked, one foot quickly sought and found a crossbar to rest upon and I recrossed my legs at the knee - like a lady. Were all familiar with the majesty of the Gold Coast, for who here in Anvil has not been captivated by an Abecean sunset? I paused to smile, noting what seemed to be interest, or at least curiosity, on the faces of several customers. I expect many of you draw your very sustenance from the sea? There were numerous nods, a few affirmative grunts, and several in the audience raised their sloshing tankards in acknowledgement.

I was beginning to feel a bit more confident. How many have seen the Sea of Ghosts and the haunting beauty it displays as it crashes against the northern coast of Skyrim? Not a single hand rose, but most eyes were now upon me. Im not surprised, for her sights and secrets are well-guarded by many hazards. I counted myself lucky that I was, for the most part, now holding the attention of these hard-drinking seafarers. After all, I knew from my travels in Skyrim that a big-breasted Nordic bard with an average voice generally kept the attention of tavern goers better than an elven songbird. But it is also a place where majestic whales dance, and mountains of blindingly blue-white ice grow right out of the sea! Birds with fins instead of wings fly through the water, and giant guardians cloaked in white fur patrol the coast. I raised my lute into position. If youll permit me, Ill show you.

My fingers strummed gently a few times, grateful that the magical instrument easily translated my skill with a bowstring to the strings of a lute. As I sing, allow yourself to visualize the images carried by my voice. Focusing on the ruggedly frigid coast of Winterhold, I began - 3:50 You Tube music vid

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 1 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #13

Spam Meister
Group Icon

What a wonderful little snippet from Buffys life!

I really like that ability of hers to project images of places into the minds of her listeners as she sings. Better than any slide show we have here, and I bet her voice is as a hunting as the Sea of Ghosts itself happy.gif

And I can safely say that if it wasnt Lothran telling the others to "shuddup", then it was me.. wink.gif

-Thanks for the beautiful song, Buffy! I look forward to your future endeavours!

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 1 2016, 03:26 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Apr 1 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Buffy the Bard! Very nice. "A warm Flowing Bowl welcome" sounds like something I could do without though. tongue.gif

The tavern patron's reactions had me chuckling most heartily. A mixed reaction to the appearance of a skinny Bosmer in place of their usual buxom Nord, but I can only imagine the looks on their faces when she started to sing.

I can relate to the problems you mentioned with Buffy's adaptation to Skyrim. I've been through Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and ESO with Haa-Rei so I tend to pull everything into a big jumble of miscellaneous lore and mechanics. Fortunately most loops and holes can be fixed with magic. happy.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 1 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

She's been taking lessons from Lisette, hasn't she? tongue.gif

Summoning the lute is all part of the showmanship. Get the audience's attention, and they'll start to believe you deserve it. After all, that's just what the Nord was doing. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 1 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

A delightful night at Maenlorn and Caenlorn's place. I guess the real question is whether Buffy can tell them apart?

I love the catcalls and chatter of the audience. It sounds like Freya is a weeble, she wobbles but she don't fall down. laugh.gif

A brilliant idea to craft Buffy the Blond Bardic Bosmer Bowgirl from Bravil's music as being deeply interwove with illusion magic! It meshes what we have always known as her most potent magical talent with her new bardic skillz. Now Teresa wants to journey to Skyland to see the frozen seas and hear the whale's songs.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 2 2016, 05:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 2 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

Freya...

Wait, so SubRosa's cat is overweight and bosomy with a terrible singing voice?

I opened my fingers to release a fistful of magic and closed them around the still materializing neck of my lute.

I love this line!

That music vid Buffy's singing was very Skyrim-esque! I could see almost picture the icy peaks and whales dancing!!! laugh.gif

Welcome back, dearest Buffy!!! You have been greatly missed !!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Apr 2 2016, 03:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 2 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 2 2016, 10:54 AM) *

I was thinking this too! One of them is overweight! But not Freya. The all have terrible singing voices though! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 2 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 2 2016, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 2 2016, 10:54 AM) *

I was thinking this too! One of them is overweight! But not Freya. The all have terrible singing voices though! laugh.gif

When I read that I pictured a rotund Khajiit with 6 ample breasts bulging under her shirt, rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 2 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

Congratulations to Buffy for gaining attention of her public, I assume that seafarers are not impressed easily. My favorite scene is as she summons her lute, you wrote that really well, I could imagine people looking at her, surprise in their eyes. A really beautiful song with matching lyrics for the end. It'll be difficult now for Freya to impress the public again. laugh.gif

P.S.
As usual, I also learned some new English words from your story.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:52 PM